PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Derrick Johnson gets extension

txhawk
11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Chiefs agreed to terms with ILB Derrick Johnson on a five year, $34 million contract extension, according to FOXSports.com. The deal includes $15 million guaranteed.

DeezNutz
11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Keep up his current level of play and the contract is a steal.

Pablo
Holy shit. Sure as fuck hope he wasn't just playing for a pay day. The dude has been in beast mode this season.

Pablo
Keep up his current level of play and the contract is a steal.Agreed.

sedated
11-08-2010, 11:23 AM
$15 million guaranteed is pretty hefty. What did LJ get guaranteed? Wasn't it about the same?

txhawk
Ton of cash for a guy who took awhile to "get it" hope his play continues

TheGuardian
Now just lock up Hali.

Pants
Good for Deej, he deserves it. It's on Haley to keep him motivated now.

Chiefnj2
11-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I'd feel a little better if they had extended Hali first. Hali has given a good effort over several years, not just a contract year.

DBOSHO
Now just lock up Hali.

Why not? Everyone else does.

Pablo
Now just lock up Hali.Yep, what I was thinking. Who knows? He might fall off the rest of the season; but he might got on a raping spree and get one or two holds called against him and end up with 20 sacks. Then we'd be fucked when we had to pay him.

Pants

oh snap

Chief Henry
11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Now just lock up Hali.

yes

Pablo
11-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I'd feel a little better if they had extended Hali first. Hali has given a good effort over several years, not just a contract year.This much is true. I know all of these players are motivated by money; but I don't think a huge contract is what Tamba has on his mind. He just seems like a quality dude that loves the game and give maximum effort.

Of course, he'll probably blow up even more this year and be a Washington Redskin in 2011 or some shit, so I shouldn't say too much.

chiefsnorth
He deserves it this year but it's a he'll of a lot of money for a performer who has been inconsistent throughout his career.

I am glad Haley/Pioli have this confidence in him now. Nice work DJ

dirk digler
Good deal he has playing lights out all year

MahiMike
11-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Wow. That's $7.5M per interception.

txhawk
11-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Now just lock up Hali.

This much is true. I know all of these players are motivated by money; but I don't think a huge contract is what Tamba has on his mind. He just seems like a quality dude that loves the game and give maximum effort.

Of course, he'll probably blow up even more this year and be a Washington Redskin in 2011 or some shit, so I shouldn't say too much.

Actually I DO think a huge contract is on his mind, it'd be fiscally irresponsible if it wasn't, this game does not generally offer longevity. Cashing in is usually the #1 thing on these guys minds, specifically those players who haven't had a big contract.

But I agree with the spirit of your post that Hali seems to be a great team guy.

mcaj22
11-08-2010, 11:30 AM
how much money will be dispersed just to Tamba, Charles and Flowers?

I have a feeling that they might only lock up 2 of the 3 pending how these contract talks go with the players/owners in the offseason.

noa
11-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Daaaamn

Champ
34 million for a guy that has only started 3 games the last two years!?!?

Chiefs Rool
hope he continues to improve. But he's been a beast this season, hope it works out for us.

Pablo
11-08-2010, 11:32 AM
how much money will be dispersed just to Tamba, Charles and Flowers?

I have a feeling that they might only lock up 2 of the 3 pending how these contract talks go with the players/owners in the offseason.If that's the case then I suppose I'd prefer Charles to go...

That would fucking suck though.

Sofa King
11-08-2010, 11:34 AM

:spock:

LaChapelle
11-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I think he got the just married out of his system last year too
that seems to be bringing Jared Allen even further down to average this year

mcaj22
11-08-2010, 11:40 AM
If that's the case then I suppose I'd prefer Charles to go...

That would ****ing suck though.

The way it stands now looking at Flowers cheap contract for 2011 is that he will most likely hold out in the same vein as all the other CBs have done before him (Revis, Asomugha, etc.) So that's most likely an offseason road the Chiefs FO will have to cross when they get to it.

Another thing would be pending if or how contracts with the CBA work out, franchise tags or no franchise tags.

If there are still franchise tags, that locks up a Hali or Charles for another year but if there isn't, they will need to start dumping cash at these guys if they want to keep them. If either Hali or Charles hits the market they are going to get huge pay days from other teams, especially Hali.

HoneyBadger
11-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Hopefully he doesn't start giving up now and playing like he has in the past.

the Talking Can
11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
well, hope he keeps up this level of play...dude was a backup last year...

Quesadilla Joe
11-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I wish Jarvis Moss would have upped his play for a big pay day this year our season would have been a lot different if he did.

ClevelandBronco
11-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Chiefs agreed to terms with ILB Derrick Johnson on a five year, $34 million contract extension, according to FOXSports.com. The deal includes $15 million guaranteed.

That's a hell of a paycheck for a dead guy.

The Bad Guy
11-08-2010, 12:41 PM

If by lock you mean head lock then yes.

gblowfish
11-08-2010, 12:48 PM
This morning in the DJ Household:

"Riiiing.....Riiiiiing......Riiiing...."
DJ's Wife: "Hello, um, just a minute. Derrick, it's Larry Johnson. He wants to talk to you..."
DJ: "Tell him I'm not home. Tell him I'm at Arrowhead lifting weights...."
DJ's Wife: "He wants to borrow some money. Something about no more cakn patna...."
DJ: "Oh Sh*t..... he musta heard about my contract extension"
DJ's Wife: "He says he'll call back this afternoon... and that you his new Jay-Zee, whatever that means"
DJ: "I hate jock sniffers and hangers on..."

The Bad Guy
11-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I wish Jarvis Moss would have upped his play for a big pay day this year our season would have been a lot different if he did.

Yep. Jarvis Moss clearly helps your running game.

CaliforniaChief
11-08-2010, 12:53 PM
DJ has been in beast mode. A lot of the plays over the middle that used to kill us are now kept to minimal gains because of his athleticism/playmaking. I am happy to see him get this extension. Clearly he proved himself to Haley and the front office and rose above the tough love they gave him.

Stinger
11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Derrick Johnson's redemption
By Bill Williamson

The Derrick Johnson story in Kansas City has a happy ending.

It didn’t look like that would be the case a year ago. Yet, ESPN’s Adam Schefter is reporting that the linebacker has signed a five-year extension with the Chiefs. He would have been a free agent after the season.

The extension is a strong message from the Chiefs that a player can redeem himself and that hard work will be rewarded. That should bode well in both the locker room and around the league when its time to recruit free agents.

Johnson was in coach Todd Haley's dog house for much of last season. He was having a hard time adjusting to the 3-4 defense and Haley has had a short leash for players who don’t adjust. Johnson started to come around late last season but it was still a surprise that Kansas City kept Johnson for this season.

Everyone is pleased they did. Johnson has flourished under new defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel and has been outstanding all season. He has 57 tackles so far, 20 more than the previous season. Johnson is clearly playing like a guy the Chiefs want to continue to build their improved defense around and he was awarded for it by getting his new deal.

It shows players can get second chances and succeed in general manager Scott Pioli and Haley’s program. That’s all anyone could ask for.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/19835/derrick-johnsons-redemption

TheGuardian
11-08-2010, 02:03 PM
By Bill Williamson

It didn’t look like that would be the case a year ago. Yet, ESPN’s Adam Schefter is reporting that the linebacker has signed a five-year extension with the Chiefs. He would have been a free agent after the season.

The extension is a strong message from the Chiefs that a player can redeem himself and that hard work will be rewarded. That should bode well in both the locker room and around the league when its time to recruit free agents.

Johnson was in coach Todd Haley's dog house for much of last season. He was having a hard time adjusting to the 3-4 defense and Haley has had a short leash for players who don’t adjust. Johnson started to come around late last season but it was still a surprise that Kansas City kept Johnson for this season.

Everyone is pleased they did. Johnson has flourished under new defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel and has been outstanding all season. He has 57 tackles so far, 20 more than the previous season. Johnson is clearly playing like a guy the Chiefs want to continue to build their improved defense around and he was awarded for it by getting his new deal.

It shows players can get second chances and succeed in general manager Scott Pioli and Haley’s program. That’s all anyone could ask for.

Pioli is a moron and so is Haley. Guys won't respond to being treated like that. /CP dumbasses

Pants
11-08-2010, 02:06 PM
By Bill Williamson

fuckin a

BossChief
11-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Good deal.

I'm glad to hear he will be here for awhile longer, I'm excited to see how much more he can grow into this scheme.

RealSNR
11-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Johnson gets an extension.

Heh.

MMXcalibur
11-08-2010, 02:26 PM

Shut your whore mouth when big people are talking.

bowener
11-08-2010, 02:35 PM

Says the fan of the team that signed close to a $70,000,000 contract to a pile of shit that is no longer in the league... after 3 years. I'm sure the team couldn't find anything better to do with the $40,000,000+ they handed over to jamarcus so he could drink some sizurp.

Fritz88
11-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Keep up his current level of play and the contract is a steal.

Meh. He wont.
Posted via Mobile Device

bowener
11-08-2010, 03:01 PM
By Bill Williamson

Bolded statement = anti-"dammit Carl" factor.

Since this extension may help in the locker room by showing players you will be rewarded for good play and effort, would it be even better if they forced Tyson Jackson to restructure for the league minimum so the team could pay guys that actually matter, like Flowers, Hali, Charles...

Iowanian
11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Can we go ahead and count this as a whiff by *the source*?

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2010, 03:26 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WVzp4MJRKHc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WVzp4MJRKHc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DeezNutz
11-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Meh. He wont.
Posted via Mobile Device

Royals fan, too, huh?

Fritz88
11-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Royals fan, too, huh?

I find it hard to digest that he's going to perform after showing years of mediocrity. We should have traded his ass for a second rounder. I bet Gunth at Detroit would jump all over it.

DeezNutz
11-08-2010, 04:00 PM
I find it hard to digest that he's going to perform after showing years of mediocrity. We should have traded his ass for a second rounder. I bet Gunth at Detroit would jump all over it.

I'm willing to buy into the theory that we've had some of the worst defensive coaches in the NFL during the majority of DJ's time in KC.

Marcellus
11-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Can we go ahead and count this as a whiff by *the source*?

Not sure why this would be a whiff. DJ was sucking wind when the "source" sent the email out and you can bet if he was still sucking ass like that right now this extension never would have happened.

It is one of the more miraculous turnarounds I have ever seen. I still have my questions as to whether he will continue this level of play.

I sure hope so.

Fritz88
11-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm willing to buy into the theory that we've had some of the worst defensive coaches in the NFL during the majority of DJ's time in KC.

http://lupusranting.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/i_want_to_believe.jpg

Pablo
11-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Not sure why this would be a whiff. DJ was sucking wind when the "source" sent the email out and you can bet if he was still sucking ass like that right now this extension never would have happened.

It is one of the more miraculous turnarounds I have ever seen. I still have my questions as to whether he will continue this level of play.

I sure hope so.Is this more of the secret gay e-mail club shit?

DeezNutz
11-08-2010, 04:07 PM
The source told me that he's not homosexual, NTTAWWT.

BossChief
11-08-2010, 04:09 PM
there is one part of the "secret email club" that surely figured into this whole deal, but I will respect the wishes of the person that gave the info and not go into why I said that.

Other than that one thing though, those emails were TOTALLY off on almost every bit of info offered IMO.

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2010, 04:13 PM
I find it hard to digest that he's going to perform after showing years of mediocrity. We should have traded his ass for a second rounder. I bet Gunth at Detroit would jump all over it.You're not too bright, are you?

Pablo
11-08-2010, 04:15 PM
there is one part of the "secret email club" that surely figured into this whole deal, but I will respect the wishes of the person that gave the info and not go into why I said that.

Other than that one thing though, those emails were TOTALLY off on almost every bit of info offered IMO.Take the secret with you..

TO YOUR GRAVE.

HemiEd
11-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Very glad to hear it.
The new regime saved a top pick from the old regime, due to good coaching and good management.
This is very refreshing.

SAUTO
11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Very glad to hear it.
The new regime saved a top pick from the old regime, due to good coaching and good management.
This is very refreshing.

no fucking way!!!!! egoli wouldnt stand for it.

Champ
11-08-2010, 05:15 PM
This guy was basically about to be traded for peanuts last year. Todd Haybilly refused to start him all of last year. And now that he's having a little success under a new DC, you give him a 34 million dollar deal? Terrible GM'ing by Scott Pioli aka Peppermint Larry.

If Pioli is giving out huge dough like this to average players like Derrick Johnson, I cant wait to see how much he overspends on guys like Jamaal Charles, Tamba Hali and Brandon Flowers.

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2010, 05:17 PM
This guy was basically about to be traded for peanuts last year. Todd Haybilly refused to start him all of last year. And now that he's having a little success under a new DC, you give him a 34 million dollar deal? Terrible GM'ing by Scott Pioli aka Peppermint Larry.

If Pioli is giving out huge dough like this to average players like Derrick Johnson, I cant wait to see how much he overspends on guys like Jamaal Charles, Tamba Hali and Brandon Flowers.Go tittyfuck your mother, assbag.

kstater
11-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Good news

Champ
11-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Go titty**** your mother, assbag.

ROFL

Dont get mad at me because Im right.

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2010, 05:23 PM
ROFL

Dont get mad at me because Im right.Wrong, per usual. Go away.

Brock
11-08-2010, 06:05 PM

If Pioli is giving out huge dough like this to average players like Derrick Johnson, I cant wait to see how much he overspends on guys like Jamaal Charles, Tamba Hali and Brandon Flowers.

Pretty funny for a Raider fan to be jibing other teams for management decisions. You know, because your team is run by a guy with Alzheimers.

petegz28
11-08-2010, 06:07 PM
In fairness to some of the criticism of DJ's past you have to look at how many DC's he has had and how many different schemes. It's one thing to be a rookie. It's another to be one and learn one system, then another, then another and another. I think he has finally got to the point that learning the different systems has become easier for him and having Romeo has been icing on the cake for him.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Pretty funny for a Raider fan to be jibing other teams for management decisions. You know, because your team is run by a guy with Alzheimers.

May that crusty old fuck live to 160!

The Bad Guy
11-08-2010, 06:40 PM

The inept contracts the Raiders have dished out are so hilarious I don't even know where to begin.

When your team cuts a player in the middle of a huge deal, in the first year, you've lost all right to criticize other teams moves.

Kyle DeLexus
11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
In fairness to some of the criticism of DJ's past you have to look at how many DC's he has had and how many different schemes. It's one thing to be a rookie. It's another to be one and learn one system, then another, then another and another. I think he has finally got to the point that learning the different systems has become easier for him and having Romeo has been icing on the cake for him.

Could easily be a part of it. I personally think with the way Haley demoted him, he realized he's not guarenteed a spot on a team just because he is athletic and a former 1st round pick. It was great coaching, but now you have to worry about him taking his $15 mill and being content with that.

For now I'll trust Haley's judgement that he's a changed player.

CoMoChief
11-08-2010, 06:46 PM
The inept contracts the Raiders have dished out are so hilarious I don't even know where to begin.

When your team cuts a player in the middle of a huge deal, in the first year, you've lost all right to criticize other teams moves.

Don't forget that time they "accidently" traded the wrong player away. LOL

I think I read about that somewhere.

MeatRock
11-08-2010, 06:54 PM
ROFL

Dude, your whole idiot charade is getting lame and tiresome. You think your getting under peoples skin but in all actuality you sound like your pussyhurt over the chiefs taking your team to OT in your own house and shut down your "#1 rushing game".

Trot back to your raiders board in your clown shoes cause your making Knowshit sound intelligent with his posts.

Iowanian
11-08-2010, 06:58 PM
ROFL

I'm laughing because half of Oakland is now using their #2 jerseys for splooge towels.

There are many areas Oakland fans can't say shit, and wasting money on players is definitely one of them. Al Davis never saw a name from Techmobowl with a speed over 85 he wouldn't sign.

The Franchise
11-08-2010, 06:59 PM

Congrats on this.

The Oakland Raiders signed free-agent wide receiver Javon Walker to a stunning six-year, $55 million deal that includes $27 million in the first three years and $16 million guaranteed, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Oh yeah....and this too.

Jamarcus Russell: A six-year, $68 million deal with the Oakland Raiders in 2007

Ebolapox
11-08-2010, 07:25 PM
The source told me that he's not homosexual, NTTAWWT.

No homo?

GloryDayz
11-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Wow, it makes me think of Nacho and LJ... He might never make another tackle or sack!!!

Chiefaholic
11-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Derrick Johnson gets extension

My first thought was that Shaun Smith got a hold of DJ in the locker room.

BigRedChief
11-08-2010, 07:58 PM
By Bill Williamson

Mr. Williamson has no idea of the depth of this "redemption". Maybe DJ will go on to the Pro Bowl and they will make a movie about it. I'm sure DJ will talk about it someday.

BigRedChief
11-08-2010, 08:03 PM

Other than that one thing though, those emails were TOTALLY off on almost every bit of info offered IMO.wellll were those emails right more than WI, correct? Did you get your moneys worth in those emails? You get a refund of your money for your dissatifaction?

Those emails were defintely right more often than the frigging KC star. They haven't broke a story since the Al Gore invented the internet.

Bitching about something thats free. :shake:

BigRedChief
11-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Can we go ahead and count this as a whiff by *the source*?ROFL nada chance. And wheres the $109.99?

BossChief
11-08-2010, 09:52 PM

Pioli placed a first round tender on DJ last year, you fool.

They NEVER intended on trading him...AT ALL, let alone for peanuts. If that was the case, they would have put a second round tender on him and let the bidding begin.

wellll were those emails right more than WI, correct? Did you get your moneys worth in those emails? You get a refund of your money for your dissatifaction?

Those emails were defintely right more often than the frigging KC star. They haven't broke a story since the Al Gore invented the internet.

Bitching about something thats free. :shake:

I haven't read anything from WI that wasn't posted here by GC, so I don't really know.

I didn't mean any offense man, you were just passing on information given to you by media sources, so it wasn't really a stab at ya.

Why so defensive?

TBH, I got my hopes up for drafting a quarterback out of those emails...especially in the second round...it went from 'if HE falls, we will trade both seconds to select him' to Dexter McCluster.

Pablo
11-08-2010, 09:53 PM
TBH, I got my hopes up for drafting a quarterback out of those emails...especially in the second round...Hey, stop spilling your guts about the secret e-mails.

BossChief
11-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey, stop spilling your guts about the secret e-mails.

that part wasn't secretive...it was already posted in the forum with the OK a few months back.

Marcellus
11-08-2010, 09:58 PM
I haven't read anything from WI that wasn't posted here by GC, so I don't really know.

I didn't mean any offense man, you were just passing on information given to you by media sources, so it wasn't really a stab at ya.

Why so defensive?

TBH, I got my hopes up for drafting a quarterback out of those emails...especially in the second round...it went from 'if HE falls, we will trade both seconds to select him' to Dexter McCluster.

What were your thought on DJ before this season? I know I was highly disappointed.

bowener
11-08-2010, 10:02 PM
ROFL

Fuck. I finally found your picture, man.

At least now we have a face to put with all your brilliant and poignant statements.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8o-bd_Wib3M/Ro8VCeDdzcI/AAAAAAAAABQ/eKpHF_tHrhY/s1600/bubb_rubb.jpg

Iowanian
11-08-2010, 10:24 PM
ROFL nada chance. And wheres the $109.99?

"no chance DJ is a Chief next season"

That's a big whiff.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCSDCPTtwTC0_1yPlF9IwuX_NTSYGI6RJMMrHaqadhnIe-2-I&t=1&usg=__pKI97TUto26ZDLtnAMvCVVyw_ag=

BossChief
11-08-2010, 10:38 PM
What were your thought on DJ before this season? I know I was highly disappointed.

That he has never been properly motivated or coached till last year.

I think that benching him last year was the absolute right move and that the positional coaching he has received the last year and a half has made a difference.

I felt that since the day he got here he has been misused, but ALWAYS had the talent to be a defensive MVP quality player.

He was a big play linebacker in college, but not a physical defender. He was the guy that could take the ball away by stripping it (9 forced fumbles his last year at Texas) or by jumping routes and he has the speed and talent to cover the better tight ends, running backs or slot receivers even. Something that I don't think has been pointed out is that Texas actually ran some 3-4 during his time there and he took to the scheme like a duck to water and that's where he made a great deal of his plays. He is the "prototype" of the role he is playing right now. that's why these guys have paid him the way they did.

His knock (coming out of Texas) was that he wouldn't take on blockers and shed them the way you have to in the NFL to be anything more than a coverage linebacker. He chose to use his speed and athleticism to go around them to make the play. This trend continued into his NFL career.

Once he got into the NFL, he was immediately GIVEN the starters role, we even traded away Fujita (who I played HS FB with) to open up that starters spot once he was drafted because they played the same spot. He was supposed to be the guy that turned the defense around... almost single handedly.

Teams learned that all they had to do against us was run right at him and they would have career rushing days and it would totally open up the passing game, at which we were outmatched against every opponent. the "career day defense" (the term I coined here and the Coalition) continued

We went from Greg Robinson to Gunther to Clancy and nobody knew how to utilize his talents or how to motivate the kid. He was obviously just going through the motions game after game. 4 years passed without him being put into position to succeed IMO.

Then came Haley.

He basically came in and saw what I saw...that he was NOTHING more than a coverage linebacker at that point. He had a lot of work to do if he was to be on the field on first and second down...anything more than nickle packages where his coverage talents could be best utilized.

At this time we also added a much better positional coach than he ever had, in Gary Gibbs, who has been a "tree" LB coach for some time now and could work with DJ to improve his deficiencies and improve his strengths. Anything is better than Gunther being your positional coach AND DC at the same time.

Seriously, I opened a Twitter account at that point and started sending him tweet after tweet about "being gap responsible" "taking on and shedding blockers" :stop going for the kill shot and wrap up" if he wanted to earn his starting spot back because he said over and over that he didn't understand why he was benched.

By years end, he seemed to "get it" (around game 13 or so) and began to start football games again and was staying home instead of "chasing the cheese" more often and began making more plays than he ever had before. Capping it all off with his great game to end the season against Denver with 2 pick-6s and a bunch of tackles, half of them for loss.

I continued to pound his twitter all offseason about the same things and even though I doubt he even read them, they were there and they were spot on.

The difference between the DJ of years past and this year (and the last few games of last) is that he is staying in his gap and being a responsible defender and when the play is there to be made without giving up his responsibility, he is making it without hesitation.

he is taking on and shedding blocks
he is staying home
he is reading plays and reacting without too many false steps, this more than anything shows how much work he is putting into film study and preparedness.
he is wrapping up ball carriers and playing under control (this is something he is still struggling with at times IMO)
he seems to know his role in this defense and is playing within the confides of it

this has been my take the whole time...just ask GoChiefs

Sorry for the "War and Peace" length of the post, but I wanted to offer up as much detail as possible.

Marcellus
11-08-2010, 10:44 PM
That he has never been properly motivated or coached till last year.

I think that benching him last year was the absolute right move and that the positional coaching he has received the last year and a half has made a difference.

I felt that since the day he got here he has been misused, but ALWAYS had the talent to be a defensive MVP quality player.

He was a big play linebacker in college, but not a physical defender. He was the guy that could take the ball away by stripping it (9 forced fumbles his last year at Texas) or by jumping routes and he has the speed and talent to cover the better tight ends, running backs or slot receivers even. Something that I don't think has been pointed out is that Texas actually ran some 3-4 during his time there and he took to the scheme like a duck to water and that's where he made a great deal of his plays. He is the "prototype" of the role he is playing right now. that's why these guys have paid him the way they did.

His knock (coming out of Texas) was that he wouldn't take on blockers and shed them the way you have to in the NFL to be anything more than a coverage linebacker. He chose to use his speed and athleticism to go around them to make the play. This trend continued into his NFL career.

Once he got into the NFL, he was immediately GIVEN the starters role, we even traded away Fujita (who I played HS FB with) to open up that starters spot once he was drafted because they played the same spot. He was supposed to be the guy that turned the defense around... almost single handedly.

Teams learned that all they had to do against us was run right at him and they would have career rushing days and it would totally open up the passing game, at which we were outmatched against every opponent. the "career day defense" (the term I coined here and the Coalition) continued

We went from Greg Robinson to Gunther to Clancy and nobody knew how to utilize his talents or how to motivate the kid. He was obviously just going through the motions game after game. 4 years passed without him being put into position to succeed IMO.

Then came Haley.

He basically came in and saw what I saw...that he was NOTHING more than a coverage linebacker at that point. He had a lot of work to do if he was to be on the field on first and second down...anything more than nickle packages where his coverage talents could be best utilized.

At this time we also added a much better positional coach than he ever had, in Gary Gibbs, who has been a "tree" LB coach for some time now and could work with DJ to improve his deficiencies and improve his strengths. Anything is better than Gunther being your positional coach AND DC at the same time.

Seriously, I opened a Twitter account at that point and started sending him tweet after tweet about "being gap responsible" "taking on and shedding blockers" :stop going for the kill shot and wrap up" if he wanted to earn his starting spot back because he said over and over that he didn't understand why he was benched.

By years end, he seemed to "get it" (around game 13 or so) and began to start football games again and was staying home instead of "chasing the cheese" more often and began making more plays than he ever had before. Capping it all off with his great game to end the season against Denver with 2 pick-6s and a bunch of tackles, half of them for loss.

I continued to pound his twitter all offseason about the same things and even though I doubt he even read them, they were there and they were spot on.

The difference between the DJ of years past and this year (and the last few games of last) is that he is staying in his gap and being a responsible defender and when the play is there to be made without giving up his responsibility, he is making it without hesitation.

he is taking on and shedding blocks
he is staying home
he is reading plays and reacting without too many false steps, this more than anything shows how much work he is putting into film study and preparedness.
he is wrapping up ball carriers and playing under control (this is something he is still struggling with at times IMO)
he seems to know his role in this defense and is playing within the confides of it

this has been my take the whole time...just ask GoChiefs

Sorry for the "War and Peace" length of the post, but I wanted to offer up as much detail as possible.

Talk about a detailed response. :D

I wondered about his passion and wondered if all the knocks on him coming out were true.

It seems obvious he needs some tough love coaching.

Prime example of Edwards being able to draft players but can't coach worth a shit.

BossChief
11-08-2010, 10:51 PM
DJ was drafted while Vermeil was the coach.

The cool thing about DJ is that he isnt even close to his ceiling.

He WILL continue to get better in this defense as we continue to learn his strengths and how to utilize him in more and more ways. I excpet them to set him loose on more and more blitzes toward the end of the year, similar to last year.

In his best season, he could realistically achieve something like

120 tackles
7 or 8 forced fumbles
5 or 6 interceptions...half for returns
5 or 6 sacks

He may never get to see that type of production, but I may be the only one here that wouldn't be totally astounded if he did.

Marcellus
11-08-2010, 10:55 PM
DJ was drafted while Vermeil was the coach.

Oh yea, we all thought the defense was fixed, then we thought DJ would finally get good coaching when Herm was hired.

Same concept, Herm was a shitty coach.