Sofa King
11-09-2010, 09:51 AM
No.

KCHawg
11-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Not a chance in hell!

KcFanInGA
11-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Hell no. And the bic pen on the business card seals the deal.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 10:05 AM
I saw a very nicely done truck headed through Blue Springs a while back for an HVAC company. Professional job, probably $3k in graphics work based on experience.

And they spelled Refrigeration with a D. Twice. Refridgeration.

bluehawkdoc
11-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Notice how he used "white"-out instead of "black"-out. That's racist...

Phobia
11-09-2010, 10:17 AM
I just solicited resumes from tradesmen for my company and received about 50 of them.

Roughly 30 had spelling and/or grammar errors. I do not care. I'm not hiring writers.

It's probably not even his error. It's probably a graphics design error.

I don't think anybody has ever hired me based on my penchant for writing and spelling.

bluehawkdoc
11-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I agree, the onus for spelling errors should be on the graphics dept. At least, someone should point this out and verify if this is the intended spelling ('plane' wouldn't show up on a spell check though).

Bane
11-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Notice how he used "white"-out instead of "black"-out. That's racist...

Just another sneaky trick of the evil white devil.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClevelandBronco
11-09-2010, 10:42 AM
I just solicited resumes from tradesmen for my company and received about 50 of them.

Roughly 30 had spelling and/or grammar errors. I do not care. I'm not hiring writers.

I don't think anybody has ever hired me based on my penchant for writing and spelling.

Exactly. It's the people who produced the ad that I'd never hire.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 11:04 AM

I'd give this to you if it was simply Hardy instead of Hardi, people can sometimes get it wrong, easy enough. But either the guy didn't know it was Plank and sent it to the printer that way, or didn't realize it was wrong and didn't have the balls to make them fix it. Either way, it's a poor reflection on a business.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Exactly. It's the people who produced the ad that I'd never hire.

You can't expect a printer making signs to know what Hardi Plank is. Most people outside the trades wouldn't. And ultimately printers will print whatever you send them, you have to sign off on a proof or accept liability if you don't.

bluehawkdoc
11-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Anybody see the show "Holmes on Homes"? Great show, frightening though. I know the poor contract work he exposes is 'great for TV' but I wonder how much this stuff actually happens and the home owner never discovers it?

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Anybody see the show "Holmes on Homes"? Great show, frightening though. I know the poor contract work he exposes is 'great for TV' but I wonder how much this stuff actually happens and the home owner never discovers it?

A lot. Between homeowners and shoddy contractors the residential industry is a mess.

ClevelandBronco
11-09-2010, 11:13 AM
You can't expect a printer making signs to know what Hardi Plank is. Most people outside the trades wouldn't. And ultimately printers will print whatever you send them, you have to sign off on a proof or accept liability if you don't.

I've bought hundred of thousands of dollars of printing and hundreds of thousands of dollars of real estate improvement services. I wouldn't hire the fools who produced the ad, but I might hire the siding guy.

Now tell me whose responsibility it is.

bluehawkdoc
11-09-2010, 11:17 AM
A lot. Between homeowners and shoddy contractors the residential industry is a mess.

What is a homeowner supposed to do, stay and babysit the entire time someone is working in your home?

You are right, it is a mess..

CoMoChief
11-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Would you hire this guy?

No.

Sadly, I've seen far worse signs than that. And I mean in real life, not just on the internet.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 11:29 AM
What is a homeowner supposed to do, stay and babysit the entire time someone is working in your home?

You are right, it is a mess..

no, I mean DIY disasters.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I've bought hundred of thousands of dollars of printing and hundreds of thousands of dollars of real estate improvement services. I wouldn't hire the fools who produced the ad, but I might hire the siding guy.

Now tell me whose responsibility it is.

your post makes no sense...

ClevelandBronco
11-09-2010, 12:42 PM
your post makes no sense...

Then I would hire you either.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Then I would hire you either.

that's fine, I don't do siding.

I wouldn't hire a subcontractor (as a general contractor speaking) who either didn't know better what the material his company is built around is called or didn't have the common sense to correct the error.

CaliforniaChief
11-09-2010, 12:49 PM
mikey is right, IMO. As the one who pays for the ad/sign/graphics/whatever, you ultimately are responsible for what is produced. You sign off on in, you go through revisions, etc. In a world where there's a lot of competition, that would factor into my decision.

ClevelandBronco
11-09-2010, 01:14 PM
that's fine, I don't do siding.

:facepalm:

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 01:38 PM
:facepalm:

I build buildings. I hire contractors every day. If you want to hire some moron who can't grasp the simple concepts of image. I don't have time or the desire to deal with people who lack professionalism and the attitude of doing things right.

Fire Me Boy!
11-09-2010, 02:04 PM

On the flip side of that, I am hiring writers, and it's mind "bottling" how many college graduates can't write a complete sentence.

ClevelandBronco
11-09-2010, 02:23 PM
I build buildings. I hire contractors every day. If you want to hire some moron who can't grasp the simple concepts of image. I don't have time or the desire to deal with people who lack professionalism and the attitude of doing things right.

Stick with it. It appears to be what you know.

Fish
11-09-2010, 02:26 PM

LMAO

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 02:29 PM

:rolleyes:

NewChief
11-09-2010, 02:44 PM
My money is on the business and owner not being native English speakers.

Bugeater
11-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm fairly anal about spelling and grammar on my proposals and other business related materials. I figure it might actually fool someone into thinking I'm smarter than I really am.

Fire Me Boy!
11-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm fairly anal about spelling and grammar on my proposals and other business related materials. I figure it might actually fool someone into thinking I'm smarter than I really am.

I'm assuming you don't eat bugs in front of them.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 08:21 PM
My money is on the business and owner not being native English speakers.

just because it's called El Fenix Inc? THATS RACIST!

ROFL No, I'm sure you're probably right.

mesmith31
11-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Hardy Plane?