PDA

View Full Version : Life My Dog Dexter had spinal Surgery on Friday...

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Friday morning I woke up to a dog dragging his hind legs. After careful and thoughtful consideration, I decided to get the surgery. My heart just couldnt put him down. Besides they gave me 90% chance of him walking again and he's not even 5 years old.

After a tough first few days, Dexter is walking, barely, but hes walking and getting better everyday...He came home last night and we are going thru it and getting thru it at home.

Anyone here been thru this type of surgery on their dog? looking for advice and words of encouragement I suppose:)

BTW, he's a weenie dog..I'll post pics in a few...

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 01:57 PM
The first two pics are right after surgery, like less than 48 hours, and the third is yesterday right after he got home...

jd1020
11-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Pretty typical with that type of dog because of their structure. My friends dog had this happen, had the surgery, walked again but he was never the same. Usually happens when they get hyper and start jumping all over the place. The length of their back just cant support the landing.

eazyb81
11-10-2010, 02:03 PM
How much was the surgery?

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 02:04 PM
How much was the surgery?

A ton--$5,500...I have pet ins tho and that covers close to half of it...

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Pretty typical with that type of dog because of their structure. My friends dog had this happen, had the surgery, walked again but he was never the same. Usually happens when they get hyper and start jumping all over the place. The length of their back just cant support the landing.

Yeah, Ive made some serious changes in the house...Luckily I bought a one story because I have weenie dogs...but ramps are getting built and beds are getting lowered...no more jumping on furniture--tough changes for him coming, but it will be best for him..

Donger
11-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Frankenweenie!

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Frankenweenie!

Thats what I said...LOL

luv
11-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Kudos to you for not putting him down. Would we put our kids to sleep if something happened to them? I know it's different, but still.

rockymtnchief
11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
My folks have the same dog and had the same surgery. The little guy is back to 100%.

Good luck.

jd1020
11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Kudos to you for not putting him down. Would we put our kids to sleep if something happened to them? I know it's different, but still.

If my kid had a serious accident and was on life support I would have a real hard time not pulling the plug. Unless there was some assurance from the doctors there was a more than 75%+ chance of recovery. Its cruel not to, imo. Life is the greatest gift of all but if you are at all a religious person then I cant think of anything more I would want than to give my kid peace.

Pants
11-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Dang, poor little guy. Glad to hear he's walking again.

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 02:13 PM

For me it isnt diffferent--I get the arguement, but for me, hes my kid...Thank you.:)

Donger
11-10-2010, 02:13 PM

:spock:

CoMoChief
11-10-2010, 02:14 PM

Uhh, you're right it's MUCH MUCH different.

Animals are property.

I know it's just me, but I don't think I would have paid that kinda $$ on surgery knowing that he's probably not going to be "right" again. Something like spinal surgery is major, and no offense but when the dog gets older he's probably going to have even more problems with it to where you may have to put him down earlier than you would want to anyway. Oh well, at least he's not in pain (or hopefully not as much at least). Hope he gets well soon.

ClevelandBronco
11-10-2010, 02:16 PM

If you're taking offers on his doggy pain meds, I might be able to help you with the other half. :bong:

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Animals are property.

I know it's just me, but I don't think I would have paid that kinda surgery knowing that he's probably not going to be "right" again. Oh well, at least he's not in pain (or hopefully not as much at least). Hope he gets well soon.

I understand that--again, I dont have children, so for me, he is my child. With a 90% prognosis and the ability to do it financially, I went for it. Glad I did. Just tough right now, watching him struggle. But, he's doing amazing according to all who know this stuff and have seen dogs go thru it..That makes me happy.

Frazod
11-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I know that's a very common problem with the breed. We had one when I was a kid. It started having trouble walking and the next thing I know my mom told me that the dog had went to live an ex-neighbor's farm "so it could be outside more." :spock: I think she may have been lying.

Extra Point
11-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Good to see that your dog came thru okay, and had a big smile in one of your pics. Hope he hangs around for at least another 5.

Demonpenz
11-10-2010, 02:30 PM
I gave my dog a backbreaker when I was 5 because I was watch wrasslin.

Donger
11-10-2010, 02:32 PM
I know that's a very common problem with the breed. We had one when I was a kid. It started having trouble walking and the next thing I know my mom told me that the dog had went to live an ex-neighbor's farm "so it could be outside more." :spock: I think she may have been lying.

Heh. I had a pet bunny when I was a little boy. One day, I couldn't find the bunny and my mother told me that he probably ran away. As I learned years later, Mum decided to use my bunny as the main ingredient in a stew that night.

Frazod
11-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Heh. I had a pet bunny when I was a little boy. One day, I couldn't find the bunny and my mother told me that he probably ran away. As I learned years later, Mum decided to use my bunny as the main ingredient in a stew that night.

Seriously? That's brutal.

FWIW, I'm sure my mom didn't serve Tigger up as dinner. :D

Skyy God
11-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Cute dog.... looks high as a kite in the 1st pic.

Skyy God
11-10-2010, 02:34 PM

They don't f around in jolly Old England.

Donger
11-10-2010, 02:35 PM

We didn't have much at the time, so I guess she did what she had to do. I don't think it was malicious.

Frazod
11-10-2010, 02:39 PM
We didn't have much at the time, so I guess she did what she had to do. I don't think it was malicious.

Oh, I'm not implying that it was. Sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

Perhaps the brutal part was telling you about it. I think I would have let that one go.

Donger
11-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Oh, I'm not implying that it was. Sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

Perhaps the brutal part was telling you about it. I think I would have let that one go.

My f*cking brothers told me about when I was older. They thought it was hilarious.

tooge
11-10-2010, 02:42 PM
will you put him on a huge bun, pour a little yellow mustard on him, and take a pic? He reminds me of a brat. Glad he is doing well

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 02:44 PM
If you're taking offers on his doggy pain meds, I might be able to help you with the other half. :bong:

Nice--thank you:D

Frazod
11-10-2010, 02:45 PM
My f*cking brothers told me about when I was older. They thought it was hilarious.

For some reason the killer rabbit scene from Holy Grail is now playing in my head. :D

DJ's left nut
11-10-2010, 02:46 PM
5 years old? Kudos on a tough financial decision - that pup has a lot of life left in him and he'd walk through fire for you. I'd be in the same boat as you - I think we owe our pets that much.

Good looking pup (for a small dog...)

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Cute dog.... looks high as a kite in the 1st pic.

Yep--High like "Heavy Metal" high.....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3aVAPzj5d-M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3aVAPzj5d-M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Deberg_1990

Good grief...not even close to the same thing.

tooge
Good thing he doesn't live near Afganistan, or the brits would have strapped a camera to his ass and sent him on a recon mission. Here, he gets insurance, surgery, pain meds, and probably lots of TLC

Fish
11-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Pet insurance seems like the most illogical thing in the world to me.

But I'm glad your pup is going to be OK.

Pioli Zombie
11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I just love it when people equate dogs to children.
"..Oh my a miscarraige? I know JUST how you feel. Last year my dog died....."
Fail.
Dogs are great. They are wonderful. You love them. I am happy for you.
Its not a child.

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Pet insurance seems like the most illogical thing in the world to me.

But I'm glad your pup is going to be OK.

You know I've made all my money back and then some on pet insurance. Ive paid over the years into Dexter, about 2k...Im getting about that back for this surgery and all the money theyve paid out for different things...Kind of a Vet savings account as it turns out.

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Fail.
Its not a child.

Well, I didnt say he was a child, but since I dont have children, for me, he's MY child. No need to be so offended.

alpha_omega
11-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Get well soon Dex!

Demonpenz
11-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Dexter is too small I knew pioli shouldn't have drafted him

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Dexter is too small I knew pioli shouldn't have drafted him

ROFL

MOhillbilly
11-10-2010, 03:30 PM
we ate all of our pets.

Hammock Parties
11-10-2010, 03:35 PM
that doggie looks happy :)

luv
11-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Fail.
Its not a child.

It's a metaphor. People toss pets away like garbage when something goes wrong. Hardly anyone thinks they're worth paying to fix the problem. Some of us don't have kids, and probably never will. To us, they are LIKE children. Okay, so I lied. It's a simile, not a metaphor.

Nor would I ever compare the loss of a pet to the death of a baby/child. I'm simply saying that I think pets are worth the cost if they mean enough to you.

Sorry. I didn't mean to start a debate. Carlota knows what I meant, so all is well.

Donger
11-10-2010, 03:43 PM
It's a metaphor. People toss pets away like garbage when something goes wrong. Hardly anyone thinks they're worth paying to fix the problem. Some of us don't have kids, and probably never will. To us, they are LIKE children. Okay, so I lied. It's a simile, not a metaphor.

Nor would I ever compare the loss of a pet to the death of a baby/child. I'm simply saying that I think pets are worth the cost if they mean enough to you.

Sorry. I didn't mean to start a debate. Carlota knows what I meant, so all is well.

Broody.

tooge
11-10-2010, 03:46 PM

some people toss children away when things go wrong too. Probably the same kinda people in both cases. I had a dog before children. It was like my child, or at least the only thing I could compare it to. However, once I had kids, I realized that there is simply a different connection between a parent and child and a person and their pet. I now have both, and my dog absolutely rules. Love her to death. But my children are more important to me than my self. To me that is the difference. But certainly, for anyone that doesn't have children but has a pet, that pet is their all they know of having a child. So, to them, there really is no differnce and thats OK.

joesomebody
11-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I would have gotten the surgery. I don't know how I would have paid for it, but I would have figured it out.

Who do you have pet insurance through? I'm intrigued about the prospect of it. My dog is my best buddy for sure.

Brock
11-10-2010, 03:50 PM
congrats.

joesomebody
11-10-2010, 03:51 PM
some people toss children away when things go wrong too. Probably the same kinda people in both cases. I had a dog before children. It was like my child, or at least the only thing I could compare it to. However, once I had kids, I realized that there is simply a different connection between a parent and child and a person and their pet. I now have both, and my dog absolutely rules. Love her to death. But my children are more important to me than my self. To me that is the difference. But certainly, for anyone that doesn't have children but has a pet, that pet is their all they know of having a child. So, to them, there really is no differnce and thats OK.
Good point Tooge. I don't have kids. My older brother has 3, and he can't understand why I even pay to feed a dog, let alone treat him almost as if he's a son. My dog is family though.

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 03:54 PM
I would have gotten the surgery. I don't know how I would have paid for it, but I would have figured it out.

Who do you have pet insurance through? I'm intrigued about the prospect of it. My dog is my best buddy for sure.

VPI--Vet Pet Ins. VPI.com should get you where you need to go.

I thought for awhile it was kind of financially working in their favor, but then this happened and it really helped me in the decision making process.

They pay roughly-45% of claims. Like I said, I think of it has a Vet savings plan that I cant dip into til I really need it.

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Excellent point.

Carlota69
11-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Oh I forgot another aspect--I found a petsitter who has a degree in Animal Science and specailizes in a few things--Snake Opthamology (sp?) (Eyes) and Weenie dogs rehabing from this very surgery. She comes to my house M-F for an hour and helps him rehab, massages him, helps him walk, pee and all the things we need to do for $10 a visit. Unreal.

Since I work in radio, I can and will make sure that woman goes to all the shows, concerts she wants. I already gave her Ozzy tix.:D

I feel blessed to have found her.

Donger
11-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Oh I forgot another aspect--I found a petsitter who has a degree in Animal Science and specailizes in a few things--Snake Opthamology (sp?) (Eyes) and Weenie dogs rehabing from this very surgery. She comes to my house M-F for an hour and helps him rehab, massages him, helps him walk, pee and all the things we need to do for $10 a visit. Unreal.

Since I work in radio, I can and will make sure that woman goes to all the shows, concerts she wants. I already gave her Ozzy tix.:D

I feel blessed to have found her.

I have a 16 year old Korean girl who does the same for me.

luv
11-10-2010, 04:02 PM

LMAO

Pants
11-10-2010, 04:04 PM

LMAO

KCHawg
11-10-2010, 04:06 PM
TTIWWP!

gblowfish
11-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm glad Dexter is doing better. One of my kitties Rocky had to have an impacted tooth pulled a few weeks ago. He's looking much better and has put some weight back on. He was getting very skinny, because it hurt him to eat.

Hopefully Dexter will be scooting along in regular weiner dog fashion soon.

Donger
11-10-2010, 04:29 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZFYxCIr-Byo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZFYxCIr-Byo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

chiefzilla1501
11-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Friday morning I woke up to a dog dragging his hind legs. After careful and thoughtful consideration, I decided to get the surgery. My heart just couldnt put him down. Besides they gave me 90% chance of him walking again and he's not even 5 years old.

After a tough first few days, Dexter is walking, barely, but hes walking and getting better everyday...He came home last night and we are going thru it and getting thru it at home.

Anyone here been thru this type of surgery on their dog? looking for advice and words of encouragement I suppose:)

My dog had the same surgery about 5 years ago. He's now 15 and going strong and I don't regret for a second doing it. He still walks with a limp, but he's generally happy. You'll be very happy you did it.

Rams Fan
11-10-2010, 04:41 PM
I have a Dachsund-Beagle and she's a great dog. She's had problems with her back(picture a dog suffering a sports injury), she whined, we went to the vet, got her some pills and voila, she's better. Good to hear your dog's okay.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-10-2010, 04:50 PM

:facepalm:

Ebolapox
11-10-2010, 05:56 PM
don't get me wrong: I love my cats. but, no way would I spend a few thousand on them.

Earthling
11-10-2010, 06:07 PM
My dog is about 13, a mutt, and one of the best dogs I've ever had. She is also 125 lbs., on thyroid meds and special food that requires a card to purchase. She has more wrong with her than right and I know she is getting close to reaching that point where I will have to put her down. If something major happened to her now I would put her down at that point, even though, with all that is wrong with her, it would still be hard to do.

alnorth
11-10-2010, 06:12 PM

I have my pet insurance through pet's best (http://www.petsbest.com/). I shopped around a bit, and they might be more expensive, but it seemed they had better coverage. VPI uses these benefit schedules which may or may not cover much, Pet's Best pays 80% after deductible. On a $5,500 vet bill, I probably would have had to pay $1,300. ($250 deductible, then 20% of $5,250)

Groves
11-10-2010, 06:27 PM
-I found a petsitter who has a degree in Animal Science and specailizes in a few things--Snake Opthamology

I do believe that MTG#10 has a snake with vision problems. Maybe you could forward her number on to him.

big nasty kcnut
11-10-2010, 06:57 PM
calotta if you can get him a doggie jacuzzi so he can heal faster or go to a place that has one.

googlegoogle
11-10-2010, 07:38 PM
I would have done your dogs surgery for $2,000.

I am not a veterinarian.

chiefzilla1501
11-10-2010, 07:50 PM

Animals are property.

I know it's just me, but I don't think I would have paid that kinda $$ on surgery knowing that he's probably not going to be "right" again. Something like spinal surgery is major, and no offense but when the dog gets older he's probably going to have even more problems with it to where you may have to put him down earlier than you would want to anyway. Oh well, at least he's not in pain (or hopefully not as much at least). Hope he gets well soon.

My dog had the surgery 5 years ago. He's 15. His back legs are really weak, he zig zags when he walks. And he's not as excitable as he once was. But he is still as alert and happy as ever.

The surgery was worth every single penny. Our family would have missed out on 5 great years of his life if we opted not to do it.

Rain Man
11-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Hope the little fella gets well soon. The squirrels miss him.

angelo
11-10-2010, 08:03 PM
The first two pics are right after surgery, like less than 48 hours, and the third is yesterday right after he got home...

I would recommend acupuncture as a form of physical therapy.
I had one dislocate his back going up a tree after a squirrel. It took surgery and 6 months of therapy including the acupuncture. He was able to run afterwards. He lived another 10 years and finally passed at 17. He was awesome.

I would recommend pet insurance for any pet owner.

Ang

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2010, 08:08 PM

Congratulations! He looks very happy and I hope he's back to normal soon.

PS - Nice cans and tats! :D

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-10-2010, 08:10 PM
I would have done your dogs surgery for $2,000.

I am not a veterinarian.

Hell, I woulda traded for sex and guaranteed the work.

KCBOSS1
11-10-2010, 08:23 PM

Will Obamacare cover pet spinal surgery?

Likely. But Grandma's gotta go. Sorry, she didn't make the cut.

Midway Chief
11-10-2010, 09:18 PM
I have my pet insurance through pet's best (http://www.petsbest.com/). I shopped around a bit, and they might be more expensive, but it seemed they had better coverage. VPI uses these benefit schedules which may or may not cover much, Pet's Best pays 80% after deductible. On a $5,500 vet bill, I probably would have had to pay $1,300. ($250 deductible, then 20% of $5,250)

The founder of VPI (and pet insurance in general) left the company and started Pet's Best a few year's ago. His name is Dr. Jack Stephens and, since I work in the veterinary industry, I have known him for several years. Jack is a cancer survivor and has written stories about how his pets (particularly his Min Pin, Spanky) pulled him through the worst of his battle with the disease. Great man and a heck of an entrepreneur.

Carlota69
11-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I have a Dachsund-Beagle and she's a great dog. She's had problems with her back(picture a dog suffering a sports injury), she whined, we went to the vet, got her some pills and voila, she's better. Good to hear your dog's okay.

That happened a couple of months ago...Dexter was in pain, took him to the doc--they said maybe it was muscle spasms, maybe it was a urinary infection, maybe it was constipation and maybe your bill will be less than $500...

They gave me pills too, he was ok, for a minute, but here we are, 2 months later..:shake:

Thank you for your kind words.

Dexter is better today--walking more and with more control...he marathon pottied last night as well...LOL

Carlota69
11-11-2010, 10:59 AM
The founder of VPI (and pet insurance in general) left the company and started Pet's Best a few year's ago. His name is Dr. Jack Stephens and, since I work in the veterinary industry, I have known him for several years. Jack is a cancer survivor and has written stories about how his pets (particularly his Min Pin, Spanky) pulled him through the worst of his battle with the disease. Great man and a heck of an entrepreneur.

Wish I would known about them. Ive had VPI for the last 7 years, Diggity, my other weenie, is 7 and Dexter is coming on to 5..I got a pretty good plan, but looks like theres better out there...