PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Late night bullshit: QB situation

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 01:16 AM
I think we're in for a shit ton of QB movement this offseason.

We have no third stringer. Palko's just kind of there.

Croyle was Herm's guy, and is likely out on his ass when this season's over.

Cassel will probably have to restructure his contract if he is going to remain on this team.

That's a precarious position Pioli has put this team in for a position that's, oh I don't know, THE HEART AND SOUL OF A FOOTBALL TEAM.

How do you fix the QB position this offseason. I'll weigh in with my thoughts once I look up a list of incoming free agent QBs.

Anybody know where I can find a list of UFA QBs for this upcoming offseason?

Shogun
11-12-2010, 01:24 AM
Palko started in front of Wacko Flacco in college, hes our guy! ROFL

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Searching KFFL (http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2011), here are some QBs I think we should consider:

Shaun Hill
Sage Rosenfels
Billy Volek
Seneca Wallace

Shogun
11-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Count Seneca out, He's going to get a nice contract from Holmgren likely, and said he will probably start in front of Colt when hes 100%.

TrickyNicky
11-12-2010, 01:31 AM
A bunch of these have signed extensions (Brady) or WILL sign extensions (Manning)
http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

Orton, A. Smith, M. Moore, and Hasselbeck. Oh my.

Shogun
11-12-2010, 01:32 AM
I really wouldn't mind Volek

WebGem
11-12-2010, 01:33 AM
I'll play QB, is there a book I can get to teach me what to do?

11-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Doesn't matter. Pioli will live and die on Cassel. It's his Carl.

Shogun
11-12-2010, 01:38 AM
I'll play QB, is there a book I can get to teach me what to do?

http://i56.tinypic.com/2mcf486.jpg

LiL stumppy
11-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Sign Volek, draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd, re-structer cassholes contract so he can be a good backup, where he belongs. Start Volek, give him a shot, and role with it all season, or throw in the rookie.

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Sign Volek, draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd, re-structer cassholes contract so he can be a good backup, where he belongs. Start Volek, give him a shot, and role with it all season, or throw in the rookie.

You're suggesting we keep Matt around for...?

Titty Meat
11-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Palko started in front of Matty Ice in college, hes our guy! ROFL

Uh no Palko played at Pitt Ryan played at Boston College.

Titty Meat
11-12-2010, 01:59 AM
I'd make a move for Kolb or if Vick is a free agent sign him draft a QB and develope him.

Shogun
11-12-2010, 02:00 AM
Uh no Palko played at Pitt Ryan played at Boston College.

oh shit I meant Flacco, sorry the game tonight threw me off :D

LiL stumppy
11-12-2010, 02:00 AM

2 or 3rd string. He knows the O and doesn't turn the ball over. If you need him for a game or two it would be better than many backups out there,or third stringers.

I would rather just cut him but I don't see that happening.

LiL stumppy
11-12-2010, 02:01 AM
oh shit I meant Flacco, sorry the game tonight threw me off :D

Flacco was from Delaware or something like that?

ChiefsrGood
11-12-2010, 02:01 AM
bring in kerry collins

Shogun
11-12-2010, 02:02 AM
Flacco was from Delaware or something like that?

He transfered there.

In 2004, he was the back-up quarterback finding limited playing time behind starter Tyler Palko. He only saw action in three games against Ohio University, University of Nebraska, and the University of South Florida. He finished the season with one completion for 11 yards.

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 02:53 AM
You have to keep Cassel as insurance for the rookie who may or may not take off. You've got about a 50% chance on any QB you take in the first round.

Sage Rosenfels is really our only other option. Volek maybe, but Rosenfels is the guy you have to have on your QB roster, he's the guy who's seen it all and everybody loves, with enough of a field presence to get by.

I say you sign Rosenfels if you can get him away from the Giants, bring him on as the 2nd stringer behind Cassel. You draft a QBotF if you can and you put him in 3rd string. I do not like rushing quarterbacks into action. Let him compete for the job in 2012. Then you get a QB in the 7th or in UDFA that has some upside and you plant them on the practice squad. Rosenfels sits behind Cassel for a year and then we let him go.

2011: Cassel, Rosenfels, QBotF, put the late rounder on PS
2012: winner of Cassel vs. QBotF, loser, late rounder, Rosenfels gone.

It's what competent teams do.

Titty Meat
11-12-2010, 02:59 AM
You have to keep Cassel as insurance for the rookie who may or may not take off. You've got about a 50% chance on any QB you take in the first round.

Sage Rosenfels is really our only other option. Volek maybe, but Rosenfels is the guy you have to have on your QB roster, he's the guy who's seen it all and everybody loves, with enough of a field presence to get by.

I say you sign Rosenfels if you can get him away from the Giants, bring him on as the 2nd stringer behind Cassel. You draft a QBotF if you can and you put him in 3rd string. I do not like rushing quarterbacks into action. Let him compete for the job in 2012. Then you get a QB in the 7th or in UDFA that has some upside and you plant them on the practice squad. Rosenfels sits behind Cassel for a year and then we let him go.

Why cant you sign a guy like Vick and groom a QB like Ponder?

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 03:04 AM
Why cant you sign a guy like Vick and groom a QB like Ponder?

Because Pioli's the GM. He wants boy scouts. Not felons.

Discuss Thrower
11-12-2010, 03:10 AM
I thought Steve Bono / Rich Gannon / Damon Huard / Elvis Grbac / Trent Green / Matt Cassel would've demonstrated to this fanbase that it's not the best of ideas to sign career backups as starters?

At least that's what I thought the consensus was, but then again I have my head up my ass so what do I really know?

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 03:23 AM
I thought Steve Bono / Rich Gannon / Damon Huard / Elvis Grbac / Trent Green / Matt Cassel would've demonstrated to this fanbase that it's not the best of ideas to sign career backups as starters?

At least that's what I thought the consensus was, but then again I have my head up my ass so what do I really know?

Don't generalize. Gannon was a great player for us, and Green commandeered the best offense of the early 2000s.

Cassel can last us another season while we get someone up to speed.

But we are heading into 2011 with shit at the position, so major decisions need to be made.

patteeu
11-12-2010, 07:11 AM

I don't mind this plan. I think Romo and Kolb are also (long shot) possibilities with them pushing your plan into 2012 mode a year early and no need for Rosenfels.

milkman
11-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Why does anyone think Tony Romo is going to be available?

What kind of drugs are you on?

chiefzilla1501
11-12-2010, 07:26 AM
My number 1 guy is McNabb. Perfect scenario. He has about 2 years left in the tank, which is just enough to let somebody young ride the pine. My backup plan is Shaun Hill.

Either way, they have to draft a QB in the first round. If the Chiefs restructure Cassel but draft a first round QB, I'm okay with that too. But I don't think Cassel would be willing to accept backup money so I don't think that happens.

milkman
11-12-2010, 07:28 AM
My number 1 guy is McNabb. Perfect scenario. He has about 2 years left in the tank, which is just enough to let somebody young ride the pine. My backup plan is Shaun Hill.

Either way, they have to draft a QB in the first round. If the Chiefs restructure Cassel but draft a first round QB, I'm okay with that too. But I don't think Cassel would be willing to accept backup money so I don't think that happens.

Just say no to McNabb.

patteeu
11-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Why does anyone think Tony Romo is going to be available?

What kind of drugs are you on?

My thinking is that Dallas is going to have a good draft pick this year (unless they've traded it away already) so they can pick up a stud QB in the draft to go along with their new coach. If they do that, maybe Jerry Jones decides to trade Romo and move on. If that's the case, maybe the Chiefs are interested since at one time Bill Parcels seemed to think Romo had "it". Like I said though, it's a "long shot" in more ways than one.

FWIW, I can't really imagine Philadelphia trading Kolb away either, but since there were rumors that the Chiefs had an interest in him and since Vick is playing well, I included him in the long shot category.

milkman
11-12-2010, 07:41 AM
My thinking is that Dallas is going to have a good draft pick this year (unless they've traded it away already) so they can pick up a stud QB in the draft to go along with their new coach. If they do that, maybe Jerry Jones decides to trade Romo and move on. If that's the case, maybe the Chiefs are interested since at one time Bill Parcels seemed to think Romo had "it". Like I said though, it's a "long shot" in more ways than one.

FWIW, I can't really imagine Philadelphia trading Kolb away either, but since there were rumors that the Chiefs had an interest in him and since Vick is playing well, I included him in the long shot category.

Any coach that hires on in Dallas is going to do so for the money and because that team has the talent to win now.

He's not going to want to start over at QB when he has a top ten guy already there.

Jerry Jones isn't going to want a guy that wants to start over either.

There is zero chance that Romo becomes available.

El Jefe
11-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Count Seneca out, He's going to get a nice contract from Holmgren likely, and said he will probably start in front of Colt when hes 100%.

Not if Colt continues to play the way he has.

patteeu
11-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Any coach that hires on in Dallas is going to do so for the money and because that team has the talent to win now.

He's not going to want to start over at QB when he has a top ten guy already there.

Jerry Jones isn't going to want a guy that wants to start over either.

There is zero chance that Romo becomes available.

OK, you're probably right, but Jones is going to have to start over sometime and you don't get top 3 draft picks every year. Not that they will have a top 3 pick by the end of the season, but that's where they stand right now.

El Jefe
11-12-2010, 07:47 AM

Dude, they're not going to just dump Cassel, as much as we would love it, it isn't going to happen.

MahiMike
11-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Coulda had Big Ben for cheap...

milkman
11-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Not if Colt continues to play the way he has.

If Wallace comes back and starts ahead of McCoy in Cleveland, then someone needs to go to Cleveland and, as BCD said about Fritz88 in another thread, cockpunch Mangini and Holmgren repeatedly.

That kid is proving doubters wrong.

El Jefe
11-12-2010, 07:52 AM
If Wallace comes back and starts ahead of McCoy in Cleveland, then someone needs to go to Cleveland and, as BCD said about Fritz88 in another thread, cockpunch Mangini and Holmgren repeatedly.

That kid is proving doubters wrong.

Exactly! Colt was thrown in the lions den with starting games against Pitt, NO, and NE, and he played extremely well. I was a doubter when Colt came out, and he's proving a lot of people wrong. Against NE he was extremely accurate when rolling out of the pocket and on the run. His top threat is Massaquoi too lol.

milkman
11-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Exactly! Colt was thrown in the lions den with starting games against Pitt, NO, and NE, and he played extremely well. I was a doubter when Colt came out, and he's proving a lot of people wrong. Against NE he was extremely accurate when rolling out of the pocket and on the run. His top threat is Massaquoi too lol.

That's the thing.

He's doing it Massaquoi, Stucky, Cribbs, Robiskie.

Not exactly a stellar cast there.

El Jefe
11-12-2010, 08:49 AM
That's the thing.

He's doing it Massaquoi, Stucky, Cribbs, Robiskie.

Not exactly a stellar cast there.

Yep, he is doing a lot with not a ton of talent around him. Now he does have a pretty good O-Line and Hillis is a monster, but to say he has surpassed expectations is an understatement. I watch almost all the Browns games due to my proximity and he is a fan favorite.

BigMeatballDave
11-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Count Seneca out, He's going to get a nice contract from Holmgren likely, and said he will probably start in front of Colt when hes 100%.That would be fucking stupid.

Coogs
11-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I think we're in for a shit ton of QB movement this offseason.

We have no third stringer. Palko's just kind of there.

Croyle was Herm's guy, and is likely out on his ass when this season's over.

Cassel will probably have to restructure his contract if he is going to remain on this team.

That's a precarious position Pioli has put this team in for a position that's, oh I don't know, THE HEART AND SOUL OF A FOOTBALL TEAM.

How do you fix the QB position this offseason. I'll weigh in with my thoughts once I look up a list of incoming free agent QBs.

Anybody know where I can find a list of UFA QBs for this upcoming offseason?

I think the philosophy of the offense... not just for now, but in the future... is going to play into what happens at the QB spot. If we stay in the run first mode we are in now for the long haul, IMO it will make a big difference in what type of QB we target not only in the draft, but FA market wise as well.

If we stay the course, I could very well see us going something along the lines of Pennington from FA, and either Stanzi (looks perfect for what we are doing) or McElroy.

I know that won't be popular, but it fits what we are now doing.

HotRoute
11-12-2010, 10:59 AM
DRAFT !!!!!!!!

Brock
11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I doubt Cassel will have to restructure to remain with the team. He's here, he's their guy, that's all there is to it. What happens with Croyle and Palko is irrelevant.

milkman
11-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I doubt Cassel will have to restructure to remain with the team. He's here, he's their guy, that's all there is to it. What happens with Croyle and Palko is irrelevant.

I find it difficult to believe that Pioli is going to pay him that roster bonus that comes due in March, assuming he continues to play at the level he has played thus far.

Brock
11-12-2010, 11:10 AM
I find it difficult to believe that Pioli is going to pay him that roster bonus that comes due in March, assuming he continues to play at the level he has played thus far.

I think he probably will pay him that money.

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 10:26 AM

I find that hard to believe given that he was notorious in New England for being a cheapskate.

el borracho
11-13-2010, 10:30 AM
bring in kerry collins

That was my suggestion...

in 2001.

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 10:31 AM
That was my suggestion...

in 2001.

I see what you did there

el borracho
11-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Not what I want, but Cassel starts until someone unseats him and I don't imagine the Chiefs bringing in any legit FA threat. We probably draft a QB in 2011, drop Croyle and do we really care what happens to Palko?

stevieray
11-13-2010, 10:37 AM
I doubt Cassel will have to restructure to remain with the team. He's here, he's their guy, that's all there is to it.

pretty much..it renders all the displeased rhetoric moot.

Chiefless
11-13-2010, 10:47 AM
I haven't read past page one, but I think Hasselbeck could be a decent option if he can stay healthy. He's been hurt a LOT the last couple of years and Seattle is in tear-down mode. They seem to think a lot of Whitehurst also. But if healthy he can be a REAL nice compliment to the running game.

Rausch
11-13-2010, 10:51 AM

I think so, for one more year, not because they believe but because they can.

I see no cap in the way to dissuade them, but Clarks checkbook is not as liberal as Snyder's.

Ca$$hole is clearly not what they wanted. I won't guess as to how they go about it but I fully expect what they feel are alternatives in place...

jd1020
11-13-2010, 10:53 AM
I haven't read past page one, but I think Hasselbeck could be a decent option if he can stay healthy. He's been hurt a LOT the last couple of years and Seattle is in tear-down mode. They seem to think a lot of Whitehurst also. But if healthy he can be a REAL nice compliment to the running game.

Why would you want to bring in an aging QB who is prone to injury to lead a young team? You don't want to keep swapping QB's on a young team. If it's not Cassel it has to be a young QB from the draft or FA/trade. I really like the idea of drafting Stanzi in the 3rd/4th round because he is accurate and smart on a NFL style team.

jd1020
11-13-2010, 10:54 AM
I think so, for one more year, not because they believe but because they can.

I see no cap in the way to dissuade them, but Clarks checkbook is not as liberal as Snyder's.

Ca$$hole is clearly not what they wanted. I won't guess as to how they go about it but I fully expect what they feel are alternatives in place...

For one more year? If the Chiefs are going to pay the bonus they arent going to pay it just for the chance that he develops into what they planned and if he doesnt can him after the 2011-2012 season. If they pay that bonus he's here til 2014.

Chiefless
11-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Why would you want to bring in an aging QB who is prone to injury to lead a young team? You don't want to keep swapping QB's on a young team. If it's not Cassel it has to be a young QB from the draft or FA/trade. I really like the idea of drafting Stanzi in the 3rd/4th round because he is accurate and smart on a NFL style team.

I think you bring an aging QB to lead a young team if:

A. You think Cassel is not going to pan out
B. You think Hasselbeck is a better stop-gap to get to a player like Stanzi (say)
C. You think you can keep Hasselbeck healthier than Seattle

IMO, these points are all at least debatable.

Rausch
11-13-2010, 11:07 AM
For one more year? If the Chiefs are going to pay the bonus they arent going to pay it just for the chance that he develops into what they planned ...

That's exactly what they're doing now.

They can terminate this crap contract at any time and without a cap there's really no slap-back for doing so...

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 11:07 AM

I actually don't think this is a bad idea. The goal for this franchise should be to naturally transition a young QB into this team. I would love to have a QB that's a 1-2 year stopgap and nothing more. In the meantime, you draft a first round QB and get him ready to start within a year or 2. I think if we're grooming a QB, I hate when young QBs are rushed in to start before they're ready or when expectations are super high.

RealSNR
11-13-2010, 11:13 AM
I'd love to see us do what Green Bay did a few years ago-- take two QBs.

They took Brohm and Flynn, got rid of Favre, and penciled in Rodgers as the starter. They got one of their picks right, and now they have one of the best QBs in the league with a rock-solid backup. That's totally worth the two draft picks, especially if one of them is a 7th rounder.

We could keep Cassel and take Ponder or someone like that in the 2nd round and then take a flier on someone like Stanzi in the 6th or 7th.

And no, fuck veteran presences. They don't do shit. Trent Green said it best when Croyle was drafted- I'm getting paid to play football, not be a coach. Hire a good QB coach if you want the kid to learn.

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 11:19 AM

They took Brohm and Flynn, got rid of Favre, and penciled in Rodgers as the starter. They got one of their picks right, and now they have one of the best QBs in the league with a rock-solid backup. That's totally worth the two draft picks, especially if one of them is a 7th rounder.

We could keep Cassel and take Ponder or someone like that in the 2nd round and then take a flier on someone like Stanzi in the 6th or 7th.

And no, **** veteran presences. They don't do shit. Trent Green said it best when Croyle was drafted- I'm getting paid to play football, not be a coach. Hire a good QB coach if you want the kid to learn.

If we're taking a page out of Green Bay's playbook, why not develop a QB behind a veteran? Aaron Rodgers and Philip Rivers didn't come into this league needing kid gloves as I think you saw a bit of with Sanchez and even Matt Ryan. They came in and kicked ass from the get-go because they had time to learn on the bench.

If you have a top 5 pick, maybe I feel a bit more comfortable starting them right away. But if we're picking where we're picking, I'd rather give the young QB time to learn on the bench.

jd1020
11-13-2010, 11:23 AM
That's exactly what they're doing now.

They can terminate this crap contract at any time and without a cap there's really no slap-back for doing so...

"Lets continue to overpay Cassel because next year there might not be a salary cap." This is the dumbest argument ever and it keeps getting tossed around like its a good idea. There's no cap in baseball so why arent players like Gardner makin Arod money? Because you pay based on talent. He's a backup QB bringing in a starters salary. Even Pioli can see this by now. Haley and Weis already see it.

jd1020
11-13-2010, 11:24 AM

And no, **** veteran presences. They don't do shit. Trent Green said it best when Croyle was drafted- I'm getting paid to play football, not be a coach. Hire a good QB coach if you want the kid to learn.

Ponder is a potential late 1st rounder and Stanzi will be drafted long before the 6th round comes around.

RealSNR
11-13-2010, 12:42 PM
If we're taking a page out of Green Bay's playbook, why not develop a QB behind a veteran? Aaron Rodgers and Philip Rivers didn't come into this league needing kid gloves as I think you saw a bit of with Sanchez and even Matt Ryan. They came in and kicked ass from the get-go because they had time to learn on the bench.

If you have a top 5 pick, maybe I feel a bit more comfortable starting them right away. But if we're picking where we're picking, I'd rather give the young QB time to learn on the bench.That's what I mean. i think Cassel's going to play another year. I was referring to that myth that people cling to, like, "we should bring in a veteran QB to groom our young 1st rounder for a year." That statement makes no sense whatsoever, yet half of football fans believe it's the so-called way to get a franchise QB.

B_Ambuehl
11-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Nothing good can happen until the Casshole gets cut or benched. Once that happens it shows the front office is actually serious about improving and not just trying to defend their pet and their egos.

After that you either trade for Kolb or sign Carson Palmer, Volek, Hasselbeck, or Kerry Collins and pick up a guy in the draft who you think can develop. Wait until the veteran gets hurt (they all do), and play the young guy.

Either way it's a 2-3 year process.

jd1020
11-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Nothing good can happen until the Casshole gets cut or benched. Once that happens it shows the front office is actually serious about improving and not just trying to defend their pet and their egos.

After that you either trade for Kolb or sign Carson Palmer, Volek, Hasselbeck, or Kerry Collins and pick up a guy in the draft who you think can develop. Wait until the veteran gets hurt (they all do), and play the young guy.

Either way it's a 2-3 year process.

If Cassel restructures his deal then I dont think you sign or trade for anyone. Hes 28 and doesnt hurt the team, but he doesnt help it much either. Palmer hasnt been half as good as he was before his injury. Collins, Hasselbeck, and Volek are too old. Andy Reid thinks too much of Kolb and will ask more than his value.

Chiefs have 2 options, IMO. Restructure Cassels deal and draft a QBOTF or cut Cassel, resign Croyle to a 1 year deal, and draft a QBOTF.

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 01:32 PM
That's what I mean. i think Cassel's going to play another year. I was referring to that myth that people cling to, like, "we should bring in a veteran QB to groom our young 1st rounder for a year." That statement makes no sense whatsoever, yet half of football fans believe it's the so-called way to get a franchise QB.

I dont' know that anybody's saying that. I think more people, like myself, want a veteran that can play until the young guy's ready. Maybe give you 1-2 very good years in the process. The problem with Cassel is that he's one of those guys that will be a lot more difficult to take out of the starting lineup. If you're talking McNabb or Hasselbeck, you can use the excuse that they're past their prime or too old. To bench Cassel, you have to prove that Cassel isn't good enough to start. We all know that's true, but I feel like Haley might find that tougher especially if the Chiefs keep winning with him as the starter.

B_Ambuehl
11-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Why would you want Cassell to restructure his deal?

Why would Pioli want Cassell to restructure his deal?

Is he a long term answer to anything?

If not he needs to go.

The defense of this guy is just mind numbingly ridciulous. He's been the most coddled quarterback in the history of the NFL and it's a fucking joke.

The Franchise
11-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Honestly? Cassel needs to take a paycut or get the fuck off of this team. He's not worth the bonus he's going to be getting paid.

If not....I'll take any of these QBs as a FA......and then draft a QB in the 1st-3rd round range.....preferably Pat Devlin.

FA QBs:

Kyle Orton, DEN
Kellen Clemens, NYJ
Bruce Gradkowski, OAK
Billy Volek, SD

The Franchise
11-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Either that or trade for a young guy like Flynn or Skelton.

jd1020
11-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Can someone fill me in on the Flynn obsession as a starting NFL QB. The guy has thrown a whopping 19 passes.

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Can someone fill me in on the Flynn obsession as a starting NFL QB. The guy has thrown a whopping 19 passes.

Been wondering the same thing. He's a preseason champion. I also really worry about the way some people are excited about cutting corners to get to a franchise option. Flynn or Stanzi fall into that category for me. If the Chiefs are going to draft a QB, they need to use a first rounder. I would even trade up to do it.

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2010, 03:02 PM
People who state that Pioli will stick with Cassel forever out of stubborness or how he will look if he dumps him are ignorant of Piolis history and that of his former team. Pioli was there in Cleveland when Belichick dumped Kosar. Pioli was there when Bledsoe was told he lost his job just months after signing a huge contract. For those who insist "we will have to live with Cassel because this is Piolis Carl" etc etc....please state your evidence that this idiocy is part of Scott Piolis history.

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2010, 03:05 PM
And yes, I agree with those who say sign a FA stop gap like Orton and draft a qb in the first. I'm done with Cassel.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Why would you want Cassell to restructure his deal?

Because he realizes that he's been paid $30 million dollars already, has a home and just started a family in KC and most likely would head into the 2011 season as the starter.

Why would Pioli want Cassell to restructure his deal?

Because Pioli won't want to pay a $7.5 million dollar roster bonus and a $3 million dollar salary to a guy that hasn't proven he's worthy of such a contract.

Is he a long term answer to anything?

If not he needs to go.

He could be a long-term backup QB that could conceivably come in and win a few games. To an annual playoff contender (and hopefully Super Bowl contender) that's worth a few extra bucks.

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2010, 04:02 PM
B_Ambuels comment that the front office needs to cuit Cassel to prove its serious about improving is as moronic as it gets. You think going from 2-28 to 5-3 in a year isn't improvement? You think they want to lose? Are you a total fucking moron?

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Again, what is it about Piolis past or the Patriots past that indicates Pioli won't get rid of Cassel?

Dave Lane
11-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Searching KFFL (http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2011), here are some QBs I think we should consider:

Shaun Hill
Sage Rosenfels
Billy Volek
Seneca Wallace

Gross.

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah I'm sure CP will be totally happy and content with Seneca Wallace,Billy Volek,Sage Rosenfels,or Shaun Hill. Now if they draft a qb in the first round maybe. But if you do that with the idea that one of those stiffs is just caretaking the position exactly how are they better than the piece of shit they have now,assuming the piece of shit restructures his contract?

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Matt Cassel is Gross.I agree. :)

B_Ambuehl
11-13-2010, 05:08 PM
B_Ambuels comment that the front office needs to cuit Cassel to prove its serious about improving is as moronic as it gets. You think going from 2-28 to 5-3 in a year isn't improvement? You think they want to lose? Are you a total ****ing moron?

Until someone in the front office states otherwise or does something to indicate otherwise my assumption is they're perfectly content with Cassell. Remember, the only place that Cassell gets pounded is on this forum. All the comments I've seen from the coaches and front office indicate they think he's doing a good job.

Take this scenario: Cassell gets his bonus and comes in as starter next year. The chiefs don't bring in any competition and don't draft a quarterback in early rounds so we stand exactly where we do now.

How happy would you be with that?

jd1020
11-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Until someone in the front office states otherwise or does something to indicate otherwise my assumption is they're perfectly content with Cassell. Remember, the only place that Cassell gets pounded is on this forum. All the comments I've seen from the coaches and front office indicate they think he's doing a good job.

Take this scenario: Cassell gets his bonus and comes in as starter next year. The chiefs don't bring in any competition and don't draft a quarterback in early rounds so we stand exactly where we do now.

They have to say they are happy with him. Otherwise Cassel would lose any and all trust he has with his teammates. Now you are looking at a Cowboys type situation.

KChiefs1
11-13-2010, 05:35 PM

Shaun Hill
Sage Rosenfels
Billy Volek
Seneca Wallace

I'd rate them:

Volek
Hill
Wallace
Rosenfels

KChiefs1
11-13-2010, 05:38 PM
FA QBs:

Kyle Orton, DEN
Kellen Clemens, NYJ
Bruce Gradkowski, OAK
Billy Volek, SD

I'd easily take Gradkowski over Volek...

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2010, 05:53 PM
I'd rate them:

Volek
Hill
Wallace
Rosenfels

What the Fuck?

Volek hasn't started a fucking game since 2005. He's 34 years old and will be 35 to start next season.

Seneca Wallace is a midget. He's 5'11 and a career backup. He's married to Holmgren and won't be going anywhere. He's certainly not a transition QB, nor is he a starter.

Rosenfels will be 33 years old next year and I highly doubt the Giants will let him walk after just giving up a draft choice for him.

The only logical selection is Shaun Hill but I doubt the Lions let him walk because they just gave up a draft choice for him and Stafford hasn't proven he can make it through half a season, let alone a full season.

BossChief
11-13-2010, 08:04 PM
If Sage Rosenfels breaks loose from NY, I would the whole thing (and draft a qb in the first round and CUT Cassel)

Brock
11-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Rosenfels isn't any better than Cassel.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Rosenfels isn't any better than Cassel.

But he's a former Iowa player

Brock
11-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Real tired of this fascination with backup QBs. Fuck that.

BossChief
11-13-2010, 08:34 PM
But he's a former Iowa player

No, he isnt.

He played at Iowa State, a team I dont watch too often and when I do, Im not really paying attention.

I liked what I saw of his play when he was with the Texans enough to say I would be totally ok with him as the backup here for the next 4 years or so. He would be a damn good fit and much cheaper than Cassel...allowing us to take a qb high in the draft while not having a huge dropoff in production or having a bunch of resources stacked into one position.

But, here ya go:

I would be ok with our three quarterbacks next year being:

Rosenfels
Croyle
Stanzi

It would be quite exciting actually. Two "Iowa guys" and a "hope he can stay healthy"

Shit Dane, you were one of the guys clamoring for Rosenfels when he was available...iirc

Nightfyre
11-13-2010, 08:39 PM
All I'm going to say is I think Dane McCloud is owning this thread.

Keeping Cassel at reduced pay gives us a viable backup who knows the offense. No downside.

Draft a QBOTF in the first round, pick up a third late in the draft or in free agency. Shaun Hill is the best choice on the list of available free agents, but I too, doubt Detroit lets him walk. You need a franchise QB and a viable backup in this league to succeed, imo. QBs get hurt. :shrug:

BossChief
11-13-2010, 08:39 PM
I'd take Rosenfels as a backup in a heartbeat

Actually, Rosenfels is a pretty damn good backup QB. I'd take him in a heartbeat

:D

Or Sage Rosenfels for that matter. Cassel sucks ass.

And no amount of bitching to the contrary is going to make him improve.

Absolutely, as could a handful of other QB, if not more. Hell, Sage Rosenfels would probably have been far more effective than Cassel and he certainly wouldn't have taken 47 sacks in 15 games.

You're dumb. Just go the fuck away.

So, you're telling me that if Sage Rosenfels, J.D. Booty or Tavaris Jackson were available on the waiver wire, you wouldn't dump Gutierrez or Croyle in a heartbeat?

What?

GO IOWA

Deberg_1990
11-13-2010, 08:48 PM

I think thats very possible. Hes most likely going to end up with a decent year statistically.

Although, im not a huge fan of his, hes not quite as bad as alot on this board make him seem.

Ive compared him to Matt Hasselbeck before...back in his first few years in Seattle and i think thats probably his upside. I think it took Hasselbeck 2 or 3 years before he started to get good in Seattle.

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2010, 09:04 PM
B_Ambuehl, do you really think the front office is going to call a press conference in November to say "Our quarterback sicks"??
For umpteenth time, what in Pioli's past or in the M.O.of his former organization indicates to you he won't move on from a qb who is not living up to his cost? And don't say a"well they haven't said anything" because no organization would publicly now.
And no, to answer your question, I would not be happy if they didn't draft a qb and bring in a veteran to hold the fort and stuck with Cassel. The only way Cassel should be kept is if he restructures his contractan they draft a qb and its understood that he is the caretaker until drafted qb takes over.

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Meant to write "our quarterback sucks". But the qb also sicks. And he blows monkeys.

Dylan
11-14-2010, 01:18 AM
If Sage Rosenfels breaks loose from NY, I would the whole thing (and draft a qb in the first round and CUT Cassel)

Sage Rosenfels is signed through 2011. I'll stop typing now. :D

Rosenfels, 32, will become the Giants' backup quarterback. The 6-4, 225-pound Iowa State product brings 10 years experience and has thrown 30 career touchdown passes. He's played for the Washington Redskins, Miami Dolphins, Houston Texans and Vikings. Rosenfels agreed before last season to a two-year, $9 million contract extension through 2011.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/09/giants_acquire_qb_sage_rosenfe.html

MahiMike
11-14-2010, 07:01 AM
These threads never get old...

Pasta Little Brioni
11-14-2010, 08:45 AM
B_Ambuels comment that the front office needs to cuit Cassel to prove its serious about improving is as moronic as it gets. You think going from 2-28 to 5-3 in a year isn't improvement? You think they want to lose? Are you a total fucking moron?

Yes, he is.

BigMeatballDave
11-14-2010, 10:12 AM
I think thats very possible. Hes most likely going to end up with a decent year statistically.

Although, im not a huge fan of his, hes not quite as bad as alot on this board make him seem.

He's not that good, either.

milkman
11-14-2010, 01:32 PM
He's not good, either.

FYP

jbwm89
11-14-2010, 01:35 PM
2 or 3rd string. He knows the O and doesn't turn the ball over. If you need him for a game or two it would be better than many backups out there,or third stringers.

I would rather just cut him but I don't see that happening.

There is no way we keep Cassel sign volek and draft someone.

We might keep cassel and draft someone but if a FA comes to town I don't see us keeping him.

Estron
11-14-2010, 03:51 PM
I'd make a move for Kolb or if Vick is a free agent sign him draft a QB and develope him.

I know no one knows me here or cares, but I will state right here in a public forum that I will cease following the Chiefs altogether if they sign Michael Vick.

Bill Brasky
11-14-2010, 04:48 PM
I know no one knows me here or cares, but I will state right here in a public forum that I will cease following the Chiefs altogether if they sign Michael Vick.

Wat.

The chiefs would be lucky to have a quarterback with Vick's talent.

Keeping Cassel at reduced pay gives us a viable backup who knows the offense. No downside.

Draft a QBOTF in the first round.

I like keeping Cassel at reduced pay. He's spent two years with the offense and would be a nice *back up*, but that's it. We have to draft a QB.