PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Scott Pianowski : Dwayne Bowe trashes the shutdown myth

pr_capone
11-17-2010, 11:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/Monday-Brunch-Dwayne-Bowe-trashes-the-shutdown-?urn=fantasy-285695

The looming presence of Champ Bailey(notes) scared some gamers away from Dwayne Bowe(notes) on Sunday, but at the end of the day Bowe had some monster numbers (13 catches, 186 yards, two scores). Okay, a lot of that came in garbage time against a soft umbrella – you could argue all of the numbers came in garbage time – but the point here is that shutdown corners tend to be overrated. Every team plays zone at least part of the day, and dedicated 1-on-1 matchups (wideout vs. corner) rarely happen for a full 60 minutes. The Jets will sometimes dedicate Darrelle Revis(notes) on a specific opponent for the day – and that's a case where you want to consider it for your ranks – but otherwise, don't sweat the shutdown corner idea. It's more myth than reality.

The Broncos aren't going anywhere in 2010, but let's tip the cap to Josh McDaniels for the job he's doing with the offense. The breakthroughs of Kyle Orton(notes) and Brandon Lloyd(notes) are well documented by this point, and Knowshon Moreno(notes) has been a handy back of late. Moreno has 10 receptions and three receiving TDs over is last three games, a credit to the design of the offense.

I've always liked Tyler Thigpen(notes) and I'm curious to see how he fares as Miami's starter the rest of the way. But let's not expect miracles from him in his first turn, given that he'll have limited preparation time before the Bears come calling Thursday night.

WebGem
11-17-2010, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't say shutdown corners are 'overrated'. I mean, it's not like people think they are perfect. Obviously the 'shutdown corners' are gonna have bad days, everyone has bad days in whatever they do. They're considered shutdown corners for a reason, because they're the best corners in the world at the time.

LaChapelle
11-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Surley there has been a Cutler Thigggy matchup

LaChapelle
11-17-2010, 11:07 PM
I don't care how soft
300 yards out of Cassel in a half says you smell of the dead

Ugly Duck
11-17-2010, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't say shutdown corners are 'overrated'.

I hear you. When the Raiders shutdown corner was out, Cassel threw for 200 even. Thats more air yards than OAK usually gives up. Made Matt look like a real QB (durn near beat us, too).

Shogun
11-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Nobody throws on Champ Bailey, Nobody.

/knowmo

Phobia
11-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Grasping for straws. 49-29 is a beatdown any way you rationalize it.

salame
11-17-2010, 11:52 PM
h must have never heard of "garbage time"

Mile High Mania
11-18-2010, 05:42 AM
I'd have to go back and actually pay attention to the game after the 1st quarter....

Wyndex
11-18-2010, 05:50 AM
the real score was 35-0, i stopped caring at that point

InChiefsHeaven
11-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Champ Bailey is an elite corner. But every corner gets beat from time to time.

I'd welcome Champ Bailey on my team and I daresay most teams in the NFL would also.

TheGuardian
11-18-2010, 07:58 AM
I hear you. When the Raiders shutdown corner was out, Cassel threw for 200 even. Thats more air yards than OAK usually gives up. Made Matt look like a real QB (durn near beat us, too).

Nnamdi isn't a shutdown corner either. Ask Rivers, who goes after him all the time with great success. The problem is Nnamdi's rep has been overblown now because the rest of the entire Raiders secondary is a complete trash heap.

KC Jones
11-18-2010, 08:19 AM
This is from a frickin fantasy blog. Fantasy has jack shit to do with real football, winning and losing, or the value of a player.

Rausch
11-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Grasping for straws. 49-29 is a beatdown any way you rationalize it.

It's prison seggs...

HemiEd
11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Just looked up Champ Bailey's age, darn I thought he was older than 32. For some reason I thought he was about 38, wishful thinking.

Frazod
11-18-2010, 12:08 PM
the real score was 35-0, i stopped caring at that point

Seriously. I guess its hard to do well in coverage when you're laughing your ass off.

DJ's left nut
11-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Shutdown corners aren't a myth.

Champ Bailey as a shutdown corner is a myth.

FFS, Leonard Pope and Terrance Copper started carving him up. Cassel seemed to be locating Bailey and throwing at his man most of the game.

Bailey's a shell.

orange
11-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Nobody throws on Champ Bailey, Nobody.

/knowmo

Bowe was sure lighting Champ up while the Broncos were laying a 35 point lead on the Chiefs.

DJ's left nut
11-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Bowe was sure lighting Champ up while the Broncos were laying a 35 point lead on the Chiefs.

If you recall, Cassel missed Bowe on an open fly route while the game was still in reach. He also simply ignored him a time or two.

Bowe had his way with Bailey even when the game was still a game.

The guy has far more name than substance at this point.