PDA

View Full Version : Football Bill Parcells: A Life in Football (NFL Network)

NIUhuskies
11-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Anybody watching this documentary on NFL Network right now? Crazy how much Haley does acts like Parcells and does the stuff he had done in the past. Also Curtis Martin talks about and loves Parcells the same way Larry Fitz loves Haley. He's always bitching out his coaches and players on the sidelines like Haley, talks constantly about changing the culture and being a hardass, etc Pretty cool stuff

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Dude was an absolute master of manipulating the media, but he's the most overrated person in NFL history. Never won a playoff game without Bill Belichick on his staff, never built a team that won a game in the playoffs.

jd1020
11-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Dude was an absolute master of manipulating the media, but he's the most overrated person in NFL history. Never won a playoff game without Bill Belichick on his staff, never built a team that won a game in the playoffs.

Pass the peace pipe yo!

Hammock Parties
11-19-2010, 08:14 PM

So you're saying he's a fraud?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-19-2010, 08:15 PM
So you're saying he's a fraud?

He's an absolute fraud. He's not Rich Kotite, but he's not Vince Lombardi, either.

He's the most overrated coach/player personnel guy ever, and most of that has to do with where he coached, and his ability to run his mouth in a press conference.

Hammock Parties
11-19-2010, 08:17 PM
I wonder how much of the "Parcells tree" are also frauds. Other than Belichick, of course...

jd1020
11-19-2010, 08:18 PM
I wonder how much of the "Parcells tree" are also frauds. Other than Belichick, of course...

Pioli of course.

This thread took a turn to stupid after the 1st post.

Hammock Parties
11-19-2010, 08:21 PM
I think the success of Tom Coughlin and Sean Payton pretty much rules out Parcells Tree fraudulence.

But damn, some of these names: Eric Mangini, Chris Palmer, Al Groh, Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, Ray Handley, Tony Sparano.

milkman
11-19-2010, 08:24 PM
I think the success of Tom Coughlin and Sean Payton pretty much rules out Parcells Tree fraudulence.

But damn, some of these names: Eric Mangini, Chris Palmer, Al Groh, Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, Ray Handley, Tony Sparano.

Not every good ass. coach has what it takes to be a good head coach.

As far as Mangini is concerned, the jury is still out.

tk13
11-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I consider that a strength of Parcells really. I don't know if he's the most brilliant guy ever, but he surrounded himself with some pretty good assistant coaches. Is that a bad thing?

tk13
11-19-2010, 08:35 PM
And if you look at it in reverse, Bill Belichick has never won anything without the assistants he took from Parcells. Weis and Crennel were both definitely Parcells guys.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-19-2010, 08:39 PM
And if you look at it in reverse, Bill Belichick has never won anything without the assistants he took from Parcells. Weis and Crennel were both definitely Parcells guys.

He's at least won playoff games, and if not for one of the luckiest plays in NFL history, coached what would have been considered the greatest team of all time.

jd1020
11-19-2010, 08:44 PM
He's at least won playoff games, and if not for one of the luckiest plays in NFL history, coached what would have been considered the greatest team of all time.

Parcells didnt win playoff games? Even SB's?

milkman
11-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Parcells didnt win playoff games? Even SB's?

Pay attention.

Just Passin' By
11-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Belichick went 16-0 and got to the Super Bowl without those assistants.

jd1020
11-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Pay attention.

I'm trying but its so hard.

milkman
11-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Belichick went 16-0 and got to the Super Bowl without those assistants.

I'll say the same to you.

Pay attention.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-19-2010, 08:53 PM
FWIW, Payton and Coughlin are the most "un-Parcells" of any of those tree guys.

Neither runs a 3-4 defense

tk13
11-19-2010, 08:56 PM
It's not like I'm saying Belichick is a bad coach, or that Parcells is even better than him. But I'd have to say Parcells is more accomplished than most head coaches. Those were some really good Giants teams... plus the league was different then, he had to go up against the Bears and especially the 49ers... those teams were loaded. I don't think he ever repeated that success but he routinely could turn a 4-12 team to a playoff team in a short amount of time. Maybe he deserves to go somewhere in between Bill Cowher and Bill Belichick, I don't know.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-19-2010, 09:14 PM
It's not like I'm saying Belichick is a bad coach, or that Parcells is even better than him. But I'd have to say Parcells is more accomplished than most head coaches. Those were some really good Giants teams... plus the league was different then, he had to go up against the Bears and especially the 49ers... those teams were loaded. I don't think he ever repeated that success but he routinely could turn a 4-12 team to a playoff team in a short amount of time. Maybe he deserves to go somewhere in between Bill Cowher and Bill Belichick, I don't know.

I don't think anyone is claiming or inferring that you are.

One of the reasons why I feel he's overrated is because he always sought credit for building these great teams that were other people's work. I think he was a very good coach, but he lacked flexibility in his approach

Like I said earlier, he's not Rich Kotite, but he's tremendously overrated, and most of that has to do with how he can manipulate the media.

jd1020
11-19-2010, 09:16 PM
He went from an absolute fraud to a very good coach in 1 page. I'm disappointed.

kcxiv
11-19-2010, 09:33 PM
He went from an absolute fraud to a very good coach in 1 page. I'm disappointed.

lol, you made me laugh

milkman
11-19-2010, 09:34 PM

Still not paying attention.

jd1020
11-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Still not paying attention.

Shrug... A.D.D.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-19-2010, 09:36 PM

Karl Malone was a very good power forward who also happened to be both incredibly overrated and a total fraud.

jd1020
11-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Karl Malone was a very good power forward who also happened to be both incredibly overrated and a total fraud.

I know right. He's like 2nd on the all time scoring board. OVERRATED! dun dun, dun dun dun, OVERRATED! dun dun, dun dun dun, OVERRATED! dun dun, dun dun dun

Hammock Parties
11-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Hamas should have his own sportsradio show.

It would be entertaining as fuck just to hear him rip the shit out mongoloid callers.

The Fraud of the Week segment would be surpassed only by the Why Cassel Sucks segment.

Hammock Parties
11-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Fin fans know he's a fraud.

BILL PARCELLS - A Media and Political Genius

I've been thinking about this for the past couple days and had to write some of it out.

Parcells is a genius when it comes to the media. His political savvy is phenomenal, to me that's his lasting legacy.

This is a man that has stayed out of the spotlight for almost THREE years and suddenly is OK with talking to the media about his NFL memoirs. Give me a break. It’s so cunning and smells rotten. Meanwhile the NFL network is slurping jock and his f*ckyoumentoray (to Dolphin fans) while his product scores zero points, tragic irony. If that is not classic Parcells timing, I don’t know what is. It’s truly impeccable.

Parcells is a man that been more concerned with preserving his legacy than actually putting together a championship roster. Every move he’s ever made with the Dolphins has been to create the “illusion” of getting better. Of leaving a team behind more talented than he inherited. With that kind of thinking it’s really easy to draft a Jake Long instead of Matt Ryan because the risk of failure would be far too much for Parcell’s fragile ego. And that was his first big decision, every other move has been the exact same.

Think back to last year’s draft with that stupid slogan they had in their war room, something like, “For the next three days we’ll draft nothing but football players that play well in their football pads.“ If that’s not the definition of playing scared and not lose, I don’t know what is. Draft day is never the time you ever play it safe. You gamble on greatness for your team, so that they can achieve greatness.

Our 11 - 5 season with Pennington basically sealed our fate with Parcells. That's what people will look back to and he's made sure that that will be the focus of his Dolphin's legacy. After that season there was talk of him wanting to leave but his supposed “love” for Sparano and Ireland made him stay. What an arrogant bast@rd. He just wanted to see if his squad could one up their season and he take more credit.

When it was obvious before the start of this season that we were going to regress, he bolted. Once again, impeccable timing. Along with his departure he leaves behind nuggets that he was against drafting Pat White and disappointed with Henne’s development. Yet there is no mention in his failure to draft Matt Ryan. No one will ever ask him because Jake Long is a good player so that must have been the right move. Because the Dolphins are “a tough and discipline” team now that won 11 games three years ago. Parcells must have been right, he’s never wrong.

Last night was really the perfect storm of three years of bad decision making. Parcells is long gone to ever get any blame on that performance, instead Henning is made the scapegoat in the national media. Next year some new regime will take over and somehow Parcells will be given credit for improving our roster. It will fail to be mentioned that he took over a team that had gone 1 - 15 and had the top pick. It’s easy to become mediocre when you have no talent. It’s Parcells' genius that makes it seem mediocre is somehow a formula for championship success.

We need a new direction. Somebody with foresight and willingness to take risks towards greatness. It starts with finding a franchise Qb. Go f*ck yourself Parcells and your bullsh*t.

tk13
11-20-2010, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't say Parcells did a great job with the Dolphins, but that team was a 1-15 disaster that was lucky to even win one game. And in one offseason they were a playoff team. That is tough, I don't care what that guy says, the schedule, any of that. That is not easy to do. Sitting there with faux outrage isn't going to make your argument any more intelligent. How many other teams have even done that? Instead he got caught up in the coachspeak, which is a typical angry fan mistake. Maybe it won't work in the end, but they tried to do it the right way. Drafted a QB, LT, found a pass rusher (Wake), which is a huge piece of the puzzle. It's not rocket science to begin with. They also introduced a wildcat offense that's been copied across the NFL. They did some positive things. I'm sure they'd love to have Cam Cameron back.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-20-2010, 12:17 AM
http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members3/279/811279/images/Joker-Clapping.gif

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-20-2010, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't say Parcells did a great job with the Dolphins, but that team was a 1-15 disaster that was lucky to even win one game. And in one offseason they were a playoff team. That is tough, I don't care what that guy says, the schedule, any of that. That is not easy to do. Sitting there with faux outrage isn't going to make your argument any more intelligent. How many other teams have even done that? Instead he got caught up in the coachspeak, which is a typical angry fan mistake. Maybe it won't work in the end, but they tried to do it the right way. Drafted a QB, LT, found a pass rusher (Wake), which is a huge piece of the puzzle. It's not rocket science to begin with. They also introduced a wildcat offense that's been copied across the NFL. They did some positive things. I'm sure they'd love to have Cam Cameron back.

Actually, that Dolphin team, although horribly coached, was quite competitive in a number of games.

They lost 5 games by 3 points, and their expected W-L was 4-12.

They benefited from an incredibly easy 2008 schedule after a murderous 2007 schedule.

Hammock Parties
11-20-2010, 12:20 AM
They benefited from an incredibly easy 2008 schedule after a murderous 2007 schedule.

Gee, that sounds familiar.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-20-2010, 12:29 AM
The 2007 team played the AFC North and the NFC East. The 2008 team played the NFC and AFC West (which is also why Cassel put up his fraudulent stats that year)

They were 7-1 against the two worst divisions in football and 4-4 against everyone else.

tk13
11-20-2010, 12:30 AM
I have to say I think those are just excuses, but to each his own. The 2008 Chiefs went 2-14 and half their losses were by a TD or less. Usually you have to try pretty hard to be that bad anyway. I'd totally agree that coming back to average shouldn't be that hard. But even with the schedule, a 10-win improvement is significant regardless of the circumstances. Certainly not common.

Hammock Parties
11-20-2010, 12:33 AM
The 2008 team played the NFC and AFC West (which is also why Cassel put up his fraudulent stats that year)

LMAO

How hilarious is it that the legend of Matt Cassel was both created and nurtured by the NFC West?

If his statistical glory comes back down to earth next year after another round against the NFC West it won't be surprising.

edit - guess we've only played one NFC West team this year, but you can probably mix and match houston's defense with Arizona's or Seattle's.

BossChief
11-20-2010, 12:34 AM
I think I got into one of these debates a year ago or so with Hamas and in that debate I broke down all the superbowl winners and participants and an overwhelming amount of them were from "the tree"

He may be overrated, but a "fraud" probably not.

Brianfo
11-20-2010, 12:35 AM

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got to give credit where it's due>>

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-20-2010, 12:46 AM
I think I got into one of these debates a year ago or so with Hamas and in that debate I broke down all the superbowl winners and participants and an overwhelming amount of them were from "the tree"

He may be overrated, but a "fraud" probably not.

Wha???

Let's take a look through the last 30 years

Bill Walsh: 3
George Seifert: 2 (Walsh Tree)
Mike Shanahan 2 (Walsh Tree)
Mike Holmgren 1 (Walsh Tree)
Jon Gruden 1 (Walsh Tree)
Mike Tomlin 1 (Walsh Tree)
Brian Billick 1 (Walsh Tree)

Bill Belichick 3 ("Parcells" Tree)
Bill Parcells 2
Tom Coughlin 1 (Parcells Tree)
Sean Payton 1

Bill Cowher 1 (Schottenheimer Tree)
Tony Dungy 1 (Schottenheimer Tree)

Jimmy Johnson 2
Barry Switzer 1
Tom Flores 2
Joe Gibbs 3
Dick Vermeil 1
Mike Ditka 1

7 of 30 is not an overwhelming number.

Hootie
11-20-2010, 01:06 AM
the whole "never won anything without Belichick argument" cracks me up...

It doesn't even make any sense.

It's pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever heard...but Hamas says it over and over again so it sticks to this board somehow...

Parcells was the head coach.
Belichick was the assistant coach.

There is no way in HELL Belichick deserves praise over Parcells for those Giants Super Bowls...and anyone who says differently clearly has a vendetta against Parcells.

BossChief
11-20-2010, 01:08 AM
"and participants"

"Tree" coaches winning 7 out of 30 Superbowls is pretty good though.

Hootie
11-20-2010, 01:09 AM
and he quotes "Parcells" tree when talking about BB...

Classic.

Well once a moron always a moron...Hamas Jenkins talking 80s Giants like he knows what the fuck was going on back then with Bill Parcells...

BUT YEP!!

WE MIGHT AS WELL COUNT THOSE AS BELICHICK HEAD COACHING SUPER BOWL WINS! That means he has 5!

5 for BB, 0 for Parcells

Hootie
11-20-2010, 01:12 AM
and Parcells left the Cowboys in AMAZING shape for Wade Phillips...

He built that team into one of the most talented teams in the NFL...only to let big Wade and double J destroy it...

The Cowboys HAD THE GIANTS beat in the Giants Super Bowl year...the were a Crayton drop away from representing the NFC in the Super Bowl against the Pats (if they beat GB)...

the very same Giants team who clowned all over BB and Brady to ruin the perfect season...

So this whole "Parcells can't win" thing is utter bullshit

Brock
11-20-2010, 01:12 AM
He never should have taken the Cowboys job.

BossChief
11-20-2010, 01:14 AM
Id say that Bill Walsh was a better coach as he basically invented the west coast offense that offenses still use to this day, or at least integrate into other offenses...but to say that 7 superbowl wins out of 30 is "fraudulent" is just simply disingenuous.

Thats almost 1 out of every 4 superbowls being won by a guy that worked with Bill Parcells.

If you WIN 2 or 3 superbowls per decade, you are LEGIT.

Brock
11-20-2010, 01:14 AM
The Cowboys HAD THE GIANTS beat in the Giants Super Bowl year...the were a Crayton drop away from representing the NFC in the Super Bowl against the Pats (if they beat GB)...

Which is another way of saying they were a Crayton drop away from the Cowboys winning a single playoff game under Parcells.

Hootie
11-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Which is another way of saying they were a Crayton drop away from the Cowboys winning a single playoff game under Parcells.

I think that was actually Wade's 1st year...but he was coaching Parcells team...the same shit Hamas always says about Parcells taking over already built teams blah blah blah

Hootie
11-20-2010, 01:19 AM
dude retires after winning his 2nd super bowl...comes back and within 2 years takes another team to a Super Bowl (a team who was terrible forever)...quits and takes over for the Jets who he takes to the AFC Championship...and then he builds up the Cowboys as probably the 2nd or 3rd most talented team in the NFL before he leaves after the Romo botch...

yet he's overrated and a product of Bill Belichick

classic

BossChief
11-20-2010, 01:34 AM
damn, has anyone in Planet history posted more back to back to back posts than hootie without responses?

Dude can have a whole thread of just his own posts.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
11-20-2010, 01:37 AM
I agree with hootie. It's stupid shit to bring up considering they were together for so long. Parcells was 0-2 in the playoffs in 4 years there. Quincy Carter was the QB first two years and Bledsoe the next. Of the two, only Bledsoe can be blamed on Parcells. Then the hilarious Romo bobble happened.

Carter winning 10 games in a year is more impressive than getting Cassel to win 11, IMO

BossChief
11-20-2010, 01:38 AM
I agree with hootie. It's stupid shit to bring up considering they were together for all but the cowboy years. Parcells was 0-2 in the playoffs in 4 years there. Quincy Carter was the QB first two years and Bledsoe the next. Only Bledsoe can be blamed on Parcells. Then the hilarious, but fluke Romo bobble happened.

Carter winning 10 games in a year is more impressive than getting Cassel to win 11, IMO

cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
11-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Forgot about early patriot years. Still don't agree with Hamas

11-20-2010, 08:17 AM

He turned the Patriots around without Belichick. they were the worst team in the league in 93. Belichick came to the Pats as secondary coach/asst/head coach in 1996. Al Groh was defensive coordinator.

His coaching of the Giants in 1990 was one of the greatest jobs ever. starting qb is done for the season after week 11 and you win the super bowl with a predictable running game and Jeff Hostetler? yes, hes over rated ROFL

He stunk in Dallas. you could tell he just didnt have the fire anymore. but he was the only coach at that place and time that could resurrect the Jets from the abyss of the Kotite era.

11-20-2010, 08:18 AM

Belichick hasnt done shit since the cameras have been taken away.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Only on Chiefsplanet would Bill Parcells not be considered a good coach.....ROFL

Dylan
11-20-2010, 12:34 PM
The Giants hired Sean Payton away from Ray Rhodes, head coach of the Eagles in 1999 --

Ray Rhodes coached under Bill Walsh, Seifert (sp) & Holmgrem

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Pioli of course.

This thread took a turn to stupid after the 1st post.

Who ARE you, you fucking cunt? Let me guess, another pile of Dungver trash?

yay.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Only on Chiefsplanet would Bill Parcells not be considered a good coach.....ROFL

Good Coach or no, I enjoyed the show immensely. And you can't deny the effect he has had on Miami.

BryanBusby
11-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Would be cool if they ever decided to show it again.