PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Anyone make chili with brisket?

Buehler445
11-21-2010, 10:21 AM
My family is doing an after-Thanksgiving get together. We are responsible for bringing Chili. I was thinking I'd smoke up a brisket, chop it, and make chili with it rather than using hamburger. I think it would add a lot of depth of flavor and really step up the quality of the chili.

However, I tend to have ideas that seem like good ideas, but really turn out to be horrible idea.

Anyone ever done this? Is it worth the extra effort? Any tips?

I'm thinking I will lay off the seasoning quite a bit. I think I need to be sure not to dry it out much.

What say you food gurus?

jiveturkey
11-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Sounds pretty awesome to me. I always try different shit in my chili.

Mojo Jojo
11-21-2010, 10:41 AM
I had a smoked brisket chili about two yeas ago. It was great. The smokey flavor was over the top. I don't know the other "secret" ingredients, but think grilled or smoked peppers were in it.

chasedude
11-21-2010, 10:41 AM
:drool: Damn, you're making me hungry.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

I want some now! :cuss:

cabletech94
11-21-2010, 10:44 AM
i've never made chili with brisket, but when i've eaten it, i think its best with the brisket chopped up as small as possible. seems to give it a real "kick".
good luck and tell us how it goes!

kcfanXIII
11-21-2010, 11:29 AM
i've been thinking of doing the same thing, but i was gonna pull it instead of chop it. sounds like a great idea though, and will probably come out awesome unless your chili recipe sucks anyways.

Buehler445
11-21-2010, 11:36 AM
i've been thinking of doing the same thing, but i was gonna pull it instead of chop it. sounds like a great idea though, and will probably come out awesome unless your chili recipe sucks anyways.

Quite candidly, it probably does. It pretty much consists of william's seasoning and some other shit. What's a good standard (easy) recipe?
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefs Rool
11-21-2010, 11:37 AM
that sounds awesome

Buehler445
11-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Quite candidly, it probably does. It pretty much consists of william's seasoning and some other shit. What's a good standard (easy) recipe?
Posted via Mobile Device

I guess I should clarify. I'm not a big chili guy. I like it, and make it sometimes, but I've never put much effort into mastering it like I have with other foods. This is really the first time I've had to make it for someone else.

Baby Lee
11-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

You'll want a healthy amount of cumin, use beer instead of water, crushed tomatoes beats tomato sauce or paste, a hint of oregano, go with fresh and finely diced for onion and garlic instead of powder or dried, use peanut butter [preferably the 'natural' type, plain ground peanuts] for body, and finally use a couple of spoonfuls of brown sugar to mask the heat of your peppers/chilis.

AustinChief
11-21-2010, 12:00 PM
You'll want a healthy amount of cumin, use beer instead of water, crushed tomatoes beats tomato sauce or paste, a hint of oregano, go with fresh and finely diced for onion and garlic instead of powder or dried, use peanut butter [preferably the 'natural' type, plain ground peanuts] for body, and finally use a couple of spoonfuls of brown sugar to mask the heat of your peppers/chilis.

This is GREAT advice.. especially the cumin... you'll want alot... instead of using peanut butter and brown sugar, try using honey, it provides body AND masks the heat.

burt
11-21-2010, 12:02 PM
We use hamburger AND flank steak. We grill the flank steak just like we were gonna eat it normally, mid rare, then cube it. We use 3 different beans, one onion directly into it then also saute another in butter. We also use stewed tomatoes. Gives several textures. The rest is secret.

Buehler445
11-21-2010, 05:08 PM
I think I'll go ahead and do it. If it blows ass, I'll blame you bastards :evil:.

Really though, I appreciate all the input.

Reerun_KC
11-21-2010, 05:11 PM
However, I tend to have ideas that seem like good ideas, but really turn out to be horrible idea.

You know, your mom and dad had the same conversation when it comes to you.

Shogun
11-21-2010, 05:12 PM
add this if you like spicey flavor

http://www.cajunoutdoorcooking.com/images/tn00190_cajun_seasoning_spices_louisiana.jpg

Buehler445
11-21-2010, 05:14 PM
You know, your mom and dad had the same conversation when it comes to you.

Dude.

Reerun_KC
add this if you like spicey flavor

http://www.cajunoutdoorcooking.com/images/tn00190_cajun_seasoning_spices_louisiana.jpg

Love that on fried catfish and chicken!

Reerun_KC
Dude.

Love ya Bro!

It was kind of remotely funny, come on, you know you :D then :cuss:

Baby Lee
11-21-2010, 05:17 PM
I think I'll go ahead and do it. If it blows ass, I'll blame you bastards :evil:.

Really though, I appreciate all the input.

Let us know what you tried, and what worked/didn't.

So far as Cumin goes, about a level tablespoon per pound of meat [assuming proportionality of tomatoes, beans, etc]. Really can't go wrong with cumin and chili.

That's an off figure if there's liberal cumin in the smoking process, natch.

Demonpenz
11-21-2010, 05:18 PM
so much disturbin shit in this thread for a chili thread

Buehler445
11-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Love ya Bro!

It was kind of remotely funny, come on, you know you :D then :cuss:

Maybe a little. But more :cuss: than :D

KcMizzou
11-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Interesting idea, but I almost think I'd rather just eat the brisket. And make chili too.

Reerun_KC
11-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Maybe a little. But more :cuss: than :D

ROFL at your text!

Reerun_KC
11-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Dont they have a the stores some already cut up brisket ready for chili...

Its not smoked or anything....

mlyonsd
11-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Lots of onion, cumin, and chili powder is how we do it.

donkhater
11-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Smoked chicken works great, too.

mlyonsd
11-21-2010, 05:26 PM

So does browned pork sausage.

Shogun
11-21-2010, 05:27 PM
My brother uses Turkey and its great

Buehler445
11-21-2010, 05:27 PM
ROFL at your text!

You like dat shit?

http://notlikeitmatters.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/fuck-you.jpg

Dont they have a the stores some already cut up brisket ready for chili...

Its not smoked or anything....

I'm looking to add the smokey flavor and some heartiness in the meat.

Mojo Jojo
11-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Cinnamon is a great spice for chili. People like it but have know idea what you used. If you have ever had Skyline you would understand.

Buehler445
11-21-2010, 05:28 PM

I will be trying that.

Gadzooks
11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Cinnamon &
http://unemploymentality.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/snausages.jpg
They won't know the difference at that point.
P.S. a couple of Tequila worms mixed with the turkey/ smoked chicken/ snausages makes the party a lot more interesting.

Fire Me Boy!
11-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Cinnamon is a great spice for chili. People like it but have know idea what you used. If you have ever had Skyline you would understand.

You beat me. I was going to make the same suggestion. A little goes a long ways.

Frankly, the best advice I have is to use a quality chile powder. Homemade is amazing if you're so inclined.

patteeu
11-22-2010, 08:50 AM

So does browned pork sausage.

These are the trick. Try pork sausage mixed with your hamburger instead of the brisket and you'll be happy. I'd also add some diced green and/or red peppers to Baby Lee's excellent advice. Diced green chilies add a nice touch too.

Fire Me Boy!
11-22-2010, 09:35 AM
These are the trick. Try pork sausage mixed with your hamburger instead of the brisket and you'll be happy. I'd also add some diced green and/or red peppers to Baby Lee's excellent advice. Diced green chilies add a nice touch too.

I'd skip the peanut butter and brown sugar, but that's personal preference. I don't think "sweet" and "peanut" flavors belong in chili.

burt
11-22-2010, 09:38 AM
I'd skip the peanut butter and brown sugar, but that's personal preference. I don't think "sweet" and "peanut" flavors belong in chili.

Not @ my house, either!

mikeyis4dcats.
11-22-2010, 09:47 AM
a little dark chocolate is also a good trick

patteeu
11-22-2010, 10:20 AM

I don't use those either, but I didn't want to quibble over a matter of taste. I might try the peanut butter next time though to see what it does. Never heard of that one.

Baby Lee
11-22-2010, 10:26 AM

You don't want enough sweet to make it actually taste sweet, but sugars in proportion go a long way to masking heat and enhancing savory. Well, hypertechnically it doesn't so much 'mask' heat as delay it momentarily, so you can taste the other flavors in the chili before the heat comes on.

Some people use grape jelly, but that's too strong a sweetener for my taste.

the Talking Can
11-22-2010, 10:30 AM
damn i have been jonesing for chili...guess i'll have to get off my ass and make some

Fire Me Boy!
11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
You don't want enough sweet to make it actually taste sweet, but sugars in proportion go a long way to masking heat and enhancing savory. Well, hypertechnically it doesn't so much 'mask' heat as delay it momentarily, so you can taste the other flavors in the chili before the heat comes on.

Obviously a matter of taste. I'm not arguing, nor am I trying to discount what you're suggest. I understand it's not sweet. I don't really think the heat from chili should be so powerful as to need to delay it so can taste the other flavors, and I just think you can get those sugars naturally without actually using sugar (go for deeper caramelization on the onions and meat, try roasting the tomatoes and peppers - both of which enhance the overall flavor of the chili).

Fire Me Boy!
11-22-2010, 10:47 AM
The peanut butter, I just don't like. But again, personal preference.

Fire Me Boy!
11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
This is a Michael Symon recipe for venison chili, and is a great one from which to start:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/venison-chili-recipe/index.html

ClevelandBronco
11-22-2010, 11:05 AM
We use hamburger AND flank steak. We grill the flank steak just like we were gonna eat it normally, mid rare, then cube it. We use 3 different beans, one onion directly into it then also saute another in butter. We also use stewed tomatoes. Gives several textures. The rest is secret.

Don't bean the chili.

Freaking Midwesterners.

Check that. Freaking Floridians.

Baby Lee
11-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Obviously a matter of taste. I'm not arguing, nor am I trying to discount what you're suggest. I understand it's not sweet. I don't really think the heat from chili should be so powerful as to need to delay it so can taste the other flavors, and I just think you can get those sugars naturally without actually using sugar (go for deeper caramelization on the onions and meat, try roasting the tomatoes and peppers - both of which enhance the overall flavor of the chili).

Oh I see, you're a philistine. ;)

Seriously, the primary joy of chili, for me, is the hearty mix of flavors followed by metabolism raising heat [spicy].

That whole, well that's very tast . . hot hot HOT!!! [scalp sweat]

And I'm not talking straight vinegary Buffalo infrerno cayenne heat, I'm talking complex heat* with smokiness and nuttiness and hints of chocolate [hence the sugar], . . . but the scalp sweat is a must.

* that reminds me, diced avacado added at the end is another good addition for body, mouth feel and cooling effects.

AustinChief
11-22-2010, 11:35 AM

I always get the same response when I suggest people add honey for the same reason... it's amazing how many people reconsider once they have tasted it.

Fire Me Boy!
11-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Oh I see, you're a philistine. ;)

Seriously, the primary joy of chili, for me, is the hearty mix of flavors followed by metabolism raising heat [spicy].

That whole, well that's very tast . . hot hot HOT!!! [scalp sweat]

And I'm not talking straight vinegary Buffalo infrerno cayenne heat, I'm talking complex heat* with smokiness and nuttiness and hints of chocolate [hence the sugar], . . . but the scalp sweat is a must.

* that reminds me, diced avacado added at the end is another good addition for body, mouth feel and cooling effects.

I like the scalp sweat, too. I just don't think you have to sacrifice flavor to get the heat, which is why I don't care for the added sugar. If you have to "delay" the heat so you can taste the chili, that's a bad mix, IMO.

See, this is why chili is as good a topic to discuss as BBQ. There's a ton of nuances.

Fire Me Boy!
11-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I always get the same response when I suggest people add honey for the same reason... it's amazing how many people reconsider once they have tasted it.

I have used honey, as well as Coke and Dr. Pepper, in chili (never grape jelly or straight up sugar - that seems weird). It's a personal preference.

EDIT: Had to laugh that sugar "seems weird," but Coke and Dr. Pepper was normal. ROFL

mikeyis4dcats.
11-22-2010, 11:55 AM
This thread has inspired me to go to Porubsky's for lunch.

ClevelandBronco
11-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I have used honey, as well as Coke and Dr. Pepper, in chili (never grape jelly or straight up sugar - that seems weird). It's a personal preference.

Cane sugar Coke or the American stuff?

Fire Me Boy!
11-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Cane sugar Coke or the American stuff?

Several years ago, so it would have been the American stuff.

gblowfish
11-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I've heard of putting cinnamon in chili, but never honey or peanut butter. That's pretty wild. I like to use ground sausage or ground turkey, but you can use brisket trimmings, just about any kind of leftover bbq meat, really. I like to make thick chili that isn't soupy or greasy, like it on chili dogs. I like it when the chili really sticks to the dogs.

I put brisket and smoked turkey in my BBQ beans, always makes them yummy. I also put a little applesauce in my BBQ beans, and that Tony's cajun spice is good too. I also like Old Bay in my BBQ beans. Great spice.

burt
11-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Don't bean the chili.

Freaking Midwesterners.

Check that. Freaking Floridians.

Matter of preference! And I AM a midwesterner.....trapped in a strange land called Florida!