PDA

View Full Version : News North, South Korea exchange fire

Msmith
11-23-2010, 10:03 AM
North, South Korea exchange fire; 2 marines killed
AP

Smoke rises from South Korea's Yeonpyeong island near the border against North Korea Tuesday, Nov. 23, 2010. North Korea fired artillery barrages onto AP – Smoke rises from South Korea's Yeonpyeong island near the border against North Korea Tuesday, Nov. 23, …
By HYUNG-JIN KIM and KWANG-TAE KIM, Associated Press Hyung-jin Kim And Kwang-tae Kim, Associated Press – 19 mins ago

INCHEON, South Korea – North and South Korea exchanged artillery fire Tuesday after the North shelled an island near their disputed sea border, killing at least two South Korean marines, setting dozens of buildings ablaze and sending civilians fleeing for shelter.

The clash, which put South Korea's military on high alert, was one of the rivals' most dramatic confrontations since the Korean War ended, and one of the few to put civilians at risk, though no nonmilitary deaths were immediately reported. Sixteen South Korean soldiers and three civilians were injured and the extent of casualties on the northern side was unknown.

The skirmish began when Pyongyang warned the South to halt military drills in the area, according to South Korean officials. When Seoul refused and began firing artillery into disputed waters, albeit away from the North Korean shore, the North retaliated by bombarding the small island of Yeonpyeong, which houses South Korean military installations and a small civilian population.

"I thought I would die," said Lee Chun-ok, 54, an islander who said she was watching TV in her home when the shelling began. Suddenly, a wall and door collapsed.

"I was really, really terrified," she told The Associated Press after being evacuated to the port city of Incheon, west of Seoul, "and I'm still terrified."

South Korea responded by firing K-9 155mm self-propelled howitzers and dispatching fighter jets. Officials in Seoul said there could be considerable North Korean casualties. The entire skirmish lasted about an hour.

Each side has threatened the other against another attack.

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, who convened an emergency security meeting shortly after the initial bombardment, said that an "indiscriminate attack on civilians can never be tolerated."

"Enormous retaliation should be made to the extent that (North Korea) cannot make provocations again," he said.

South Korea holds military exercises like Tuesday's off the west coast about every three months.

The supreme military command in Pyongyang threatened more strikes if the South crossed their maritime border by "even 0.001 millimeter," according to the North's official Korean Central News Agency.

A statement from the North said it was merely "reacting to the military provocation of the puppet group with a prompt powerful physical strike," and accused Seoul of starting the skirmish with its "reckless military provocation as firing dozens of shells inside the territorial waters of the" North.

Government officials in Seoul called the bombardments "inhumane atrocities" that violated the 1953 armistice halting the Korean War. The two sides technically remain at war because a peace treaty was never signed, and nearly 2 million troops — including tens of thousands from the U.S. — are positioned on both sides of the world's most heavily militarized border.

The clash, along with continuing worry about the fallout from Ireland's debt crisis, was a factor in pushing Asian and European stock markets sharply lower. Wall Street opened lower.

The exchange represents a sharp escalation of the skirmishes that flare up along the disputed border from time to time. It also comes amid high tensions over the North's apparent progress in its quest for nuclear weapons — Pyongyang claims it has a new uranium enrichment facility — and six weeks after North Korean leader Kim Jong Il anointed his youngest son, Kim Jong Un, as the heir apparent.

"It brings us one step closer to the brink of war," said Peter Beck, a research fellow with the Council on Foreign Relations, "because I don't think the North would seek war by intention, but war by accident, something spiraling out of control has always been my fear."

Columns of thick black smoke rose from homes on the island, video from YTN cable TV showed. Screams and shouts filled the air as shells rained down on the island just south of the disputed sea border.

Yeonpyeong lies a mere seven miles (11 kilometers) from — and within sight of — the North Korean mainland.

The United States, which has more than 28,000 troops stationed in South Korea, condemned the attack. In Washington, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs called on North Korea to "halt its belligerent action," and said the U.S. is committed to South Korea's defense.

China, the North's economic and political benefactor, which also maintains close commercial ties to the South, appealed to both sides to remain calm and "to do more to contribute to peace and stability on the peninsula," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said.

Stephen Bosworth, the Obama administration's special envoy to North Korea, said he discussed the clash with the Chinese foreign minister and that they agreed both sides should show restraint. He reiterated that the U.S. stands firmly with its ally, South Korea.

Gen. Walter Sharp, commander of U.S. forces in South Korea and the U.S.-led U.N. Command, said in a Facebook posting that the U.S. military is "closely monitoring the situation and exchanging information with our (South Korean) allies as we always do."

Yeonpyeong, famous for its crabbing industry and home to about 1,700 civilians as well as South Korean military installations. There are about 30 other small islands nearby.

North Korea fired dozens of rounds of artillery in three separate barrages that began in midafternoon, while South Korea returned fire with about 80 rounds, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said. Naval operations had been reinforced in the area, the JCS said early Wednesday, declining to elaborate.

Two South Korean marines were killed and 16 injured, it said. Island residents fled to some 20 shelters on the island and sporadic shelling ended after about an hour, according to the military.

The Koreas' 1950s war ended in a truce, but North Korea does not recognize the western maritime border drawn unilaterally by the United Nations at the close of the conflict, and the Koreas have fought three bloody skirmishes there in recent years.

South Korea holds military exercises like Tuesday's off the west coast about every three months.

In March, a South Korean warship went down in the waters while on a routine patrolling mission. Forty-six sailors were killed in what South Korea calls the worst military attack on the country since the war.

Seoul blamed a North Korean torpedo, but Pyongyang denied responsibility.

___

Kwang-Tae Kim reported from Seoul. AP writers Seulki Kim, Kelly Olsen and Foster Klug in Seoul contributed to this report.

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101123/ap_on_re_as/as_koreas_clash

Well, the blinking contest begins.

loochy
11-23-2010, 10:06 AM
pew pew pew

urr urr urr urr

KUH BEWM

POW POW

*machine gun noises*

Bane
11-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Good times!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dante84
11-23-2010, 10:10 AM
To Pyongyang!

...or Seoul!

vailpass
11-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Can we keep Europe, North America, Australia, Japan, South America and flush most of the rest of the world?

blaise
11-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Can we keep Europe, North America, Australia, Japan, South America and flush most of the rest of the world?

Let's cut France though.

vailpass
11-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Let's cut France though.

Just the "men".

BigMeatballDave
Off to DC with this shit

vailpass
Off to DC with this shit

Its already there.

salame
11-23-2010, 10:16 AM
fuck now imma get drafted

blaise
11-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Kim Jong il is taking his talents to South Korea.

Donger
11-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Off to DC with this shit

:spock:

Radar Chief
11-23-2010, 10:23 AM
**** now imma get drafted

Son, there ain’t no draft no more.
There was one?

;)

DJ's left nut
11-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Off to DC with this shit

With all due respect, this is a pretty big deal.

This is only marginally more 'DC' than an attack on the pentagon would be.

If this thing continues in the direction it's heading, it will likely have severe ramifications for the US and possibly escalate into a global conflict. In light of the fact that NK has nuclear capabilities, I'd say this bears keeping an eye on.

InChiefsHeaven
11-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I copied and pasted this article to the other thread in DC for continuity:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=237207

chiefsnorth
11-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I was sent from pranet Xiron to conquer da Earf!

You are worfress Arec Barrwin!

MOhillbilly
11-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Drinkin soju and fuckin drinky girls one day and hunkered down gettin ready for war the next.
Fuckin sucks for our troops. You know fort sill & fort hood arent alot of fun to be at today either.

gblowfish
11-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Like Dennis Miller said, we should send Bill Clinton as a diplomatic envoy. Call him up and say "Hey Bill, wanna go visit Pyongyang?" He'll say, "Sure, how old is she?"

Frazod
11-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Last I heard from KCJohnny, he said he was in South Korea, although not on the DMZ. I certainly hope this situation is diffused peacefully, but fuck, it is long past time that those psychopaths were cut off at the knees.

gblowfish
11-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Every 57 years these guys have to stir up the shit....

Guess my 80 year old father will have to go back over there and kick their asses again.
Go 24th Infantry!

MOhillbilly
11-23-2010, 11:05 AM
the troops stationed in korea will get there ass handed to them in the inatial invasion and they know it.

Pants
11-23-2010, 11:48 AM
the troops stationed in korea will get there ass handed to them in the inatial invasion and they know it.
Whose troops?

MOhillbilly
11-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Whose troops?

US troops.

Discuss Thrower
11-23-2010, 12:00 PM
US troops.

Nothing serious is going to happen here folks. NK will back down and the status quo will be restored by Friday.

MOhillbilly
11-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Nothing serious is going to happen here folks. NK will back down and the status quo will be restored by Friday.

Fact remains that the US positions and FOBs in korea wont be a road bump when 0n3 million commies stream over the border.

Donger
11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I bet that NK test launches a ballistic missile or conducts a nuke test sometime during the next week.

Dante84
11-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Fact remains that the US positions and FOBs in korea wont be a road bump when 0n3 million commies stream over the border.

You don't think we've got an escape mode ready? I bet they can close down that bitch in 15 minutes (secure all important documents, computers, data, etc.).

We fight em off for half an hour and drop a cargo plane in and helicopters by the dozens and disappear.

Then we bomb the shit out of it with them inside.

Brock
11-23-2010, 12:17 PM

No, I don't think so. You can't just make a million troops appear on the border without us knowing about it.

MOhillbilly
11-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I bet that NK test launches a ballistic missile or conducts a nuke test sometime during the next week.

At this point they have nothing to lose.

Saul Good
11-23-2010, 12:20 PM
No, I don't think so. You can't just make a million troops appear on the border without us knowing about it.

We do know about it.

Brock
11-23-2010, 12:22 PM
We do know about it.

And we're probably pretty well prepared for it. Yes?

MOhillbilly
11-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Im sorry brock but i know and have known many guys stationed in korea. They will be the first to tell you that if an invasion comes the US/NATO positions would be overrun in a matter of days if not less.

Brock
11-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Im sorry brock but i know and have known many guys stationed in korea. They will be the first to tell you that if an invasion comes the US/NATO positions would be overrun in a matter of days if not less.

I find that hard to believe.

Donger
11-23-2010, 12:24 PM

And how do you stop 1,000,000 NKs on a suicide charge?

MOhillbilly
11-23-2010, 12:25 PM
I find that hard to believe.

Feel free to contact my bro vinny. hes on my friends list. Did two tours in the ROK in the past decade, 13M.

Brock
11-23-2010, 12:25 PM

I assume you kill them.

Donger
11-23-2010, 12:26 PM
I assume you kill them.

With what?

11-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Is this the official North Korea thread? or is the one in DC the official one?

Brock
11-23-2010, 12:27 PM
With what?

Can we just go ahead and skip the pointless Q and A and get to the part where you tell me it can't be done and here's why....

Dayze
11-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Can we just go ahead and skip the pointless Q and A and get to the part where you tell me it can't be done and here's why....

ROFL

Donger
11-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Well, it can be done, but I don't believe that ROK will use nuclear weapons. So, you are talking about conventional weapons. How do you propose that you stop 1,000,000 invaders with a tremendous amount of artillery fire in support?

Lonewolf Ed
11-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Well, it can be done, but I don't believe that ROK will use nuclear weapons. So, you are talking about conventional weapons. How do you propose that you stop 1,000,000 invaders with a tremendous amount of artillery fire in support?

With tons of bullets and American resolve! Do we still have that? Resolve, I mean?

Brock
11-23-2010, 12:36 PM

Wouldn't there be a tremendous amount of artillery fire repelling them? Not to mention bombs and missiles being dropped on them? Not to mention the million or so SKs shooting at them?

DJ's left nut
11-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Wouldn't there be a tremendous amount of artillery fire repelling them? Not to mention bombs and missiles being dropped on them? Not to mention the million or so SKs shooting at them?

Don't underestimate NK.

This isn't a bunch of farmers with pitch forks. They are in a military dictatorship - their entire existence revolves around their military.

If NK invaded SK, it would be a cakewalk. The best hope for our troops would be to GTFO of dodge as quickly as possible. If they stay behind it will make the Alamo look like a draw.

The NK military is very well trained, very well armed and pretty much programmed to do what their living God (Kim Jung Il) tells them to do.

They would eventually be repelled by the US military, but not until after they've pretty well decimated the SK forces and whatever permanent bases we had stationed in the area.

Donger
11-23-2010, 12:40 PM

Yes, until is was overrun. Don't forget that NK does have nuclear weapons (albeit not very good ones).

gblowfish
11-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Just give them all a $1000 cash back voucher for a Kia, and call it a day.

Brock
11-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Don't underestimate NK.

This isn't a bunch of farmers with pitch forks. They are in a military dictatorship - their entire existence revolves around their military.

If NK invaded SK, it would be a cakewalk. The best hope for our troops would be to GTFO of dodge as quickly as possible. If they stay behind it will make the Alamo look like a draw.

The NK military is very well trained, very well armed and pretty much programmed to do what their living God (Kim Jung Il) tells them to do.

They would eventually be repelled by the US military, but not until after they've pretty well decimated the SK forces and whatever permanent bases we had stationed in the area.

Wouldn't that be the end of North Korea? They cannot sustain that kind of an offensive, not without the Chinese support and manpower they got when the actual war was happening.

Pants
11-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Yes, until is was overrun. Don't forget that NK does have nuclear weapons (albeit not very good ones).

You don't think the USAF would be able to establish air superiority? Take out their comms, SAM sites, etc and have yourself a good fucking day. GSM.

Donger
11-23-2010, 12:46 PM
You don't think the USAF would be able to establish air superiority? Take out their comms, SAM sites, etc and have yourself a good ****ing day. GSM.

Eventually, yes. Absolutely.

ModSocks
11-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Man, this thread really makes me want to shoot something.

chiefsnorth
11-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Wouldn't that be the end of North Korea? They cannot sustain that kind of an offensive, not without the Chinese support and manpower they got when the actual war was happening.

They could probably make a pretty successful initial Zerg rush. Cause some damage with whatever nuclear capability they may have. They have no long term prospects for holding all of korea

11-23-2010, 12:50 PM
This is the official South Korea thread. if you want to discuss North Korea please post in the thread in DC. Rain Man said that the two will not be merged under any circumstances.

Thank you

DJ's left nut
11-23-2010, 12:52 PM

Absolutely.

Don't attempt to rationalize insanity.

Kim Jung Il is an unwell person. He has no concern with the fact that his country will eventually disappear from the map (especially if the rumors regarding his health are true). The man is off his nut.

You can't apply rational standards to that.

Hydrae
11-23-2010, 12:56 PM

Point them to the order line for the nearest Burger King and tell them it is two for one day.

Brock
11-23-2010, 12:57 PM
They could probably make a pretty successful initial Zerg rush. Cause some damage with whatever nuclear capability they may have. They have no long term prospects for holding all of korea

So, that leads me to believe that their objective isn't really to attack, but to draw us into talking to them again.

chasedude
11-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Nuke the North and get it over with already!

Donger
11-23-2010, 01:09 PM
So, that leads me to believe that their objective isn't really to attack, but to draw us into talking to them again.

Yes.

Crush
11-23-2010, 01:14 PM
In my opinion, this is an attempt to beef up Kim Jung Un's military resume.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefsnorth
11-23-2010, 01:14 PM

They may not realize that they have little chance of winning though. Few people there probably have access to the requisite information...

I would have to think there would be some kind of power struggle before he led them all charging into DPRK's destruction. How would he retain the support of the military in the face of a long term campaign that could never succeed?

If they did this they'd get rolled up, Korea would be united under the Rok eventually. (how weird would it be to be a brainwashed DPRK citizen in that scenario - all of a sudden you are out of this isolation and see the world through your own eyes rather than that of the state)

loochy
11-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Don't underestimate NK.

That's what they said about Iraq in 1991.

gblowfish
11-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Ah NO.....Hans Blix?????

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b49Iwfp8U-U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b49Iwfp8U-U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

R&GHomer
11-23-2010, 01:40 PM

I'm not sure how much things have changed over the last 20 years. But when I was stationed there that was the general belief. The 2nd Inf Div wasn't considered much more than a speed bump. Most projected the North to make it to soul before being slowed down. All the highways and bridges around the DMZ were rigged with explosives to help but, it wouldn't be enough.

I remember thinking how crazy it was to see small fighter basis in the middle of the main highway. If shit hit the fan, they would close off large sections of the highway and use it as an air strip. How the hell are people supposed to flee south if the highway is shut down.

chiefsnorth
11-23-2010, 01:50 PM
I think they should consider moving the G20 to another city, perhaps surreptitiously. No way should all those leaders have been scheduled to be so close to North Korea in the first place. Busan or hell, Tokyo.

That would throw the protestors off too. Bonus

Msmith
11-23-2010, 01:53 PM
On June 25, 1950, ten infantry divisions and one tank brigade (150 T-34) of DPRK crossed the 38 line. Five infantry divisions of ROK resisted about three days before Seoul fell. The spanning Han River bridge was blown up while jam-packed with refugees.

1. If the NK tries this time, how long can the ROK troops hold? Many experts say that the NK troops will be like a hot knife going thru the butter against the south. But with the anti-tanks defense the NK will pay dearly for such adventure. Sure, Seoul will be devastated again. But c'est la guerre.

2. How fast the US response this time is also a question. Will they blockade the NK coast again? Will they bomb the supply line and the staging areas? or even the factories in the north? Knowing the NK could retaliate with nuclear weapons?

3. The China card. The modern China is more pragmatic than Mao's time. In fact I would say China is more capitalistic than it is communistic in their people's daily life. Many high level decision-makers have bank deposits in foreign banks. Would they risk to lose everything (bank account) for an unruly neighbor?

Donger
11-23-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure how much things have changed over the last 20 years. But when I was stationed there that was the general belief. The 2nd Inf Div wasn't considered much more than a speed bump. Most projected the North to make it to soul before being slowed down. All the highways and bridges around the DMZ were rigged with explosives to help but, it wouldn't be enough.

I remember thinking how crazy it was to see small fighter basis in the middle of the main highway. If shit hit the fan, they would close off large sections of the highway and use it as an air strip. How the hell are people supposed to flee south if the highway is shut down.

What was your impression of the ROK forces?

Amnorix
11-23-2010, 02:07 PM
I honestly wish we could just tell China -- "you take them the fuck OUT, or WE WILL, but an independent North Korea is just not in the cards anymore."

Frazod
11-23-2010, 02:28 PM
That's what they said about Iraq in 1991.

True, but it also took us six months to mobilize the overwhelming force that blasted them away. Also, at the time we weren't already involved in another shooting war, wrapping another one up and mired in debt.

MOhillbilly
11-23-2010, 02:36 PM
True, but it also took us six months to mobilize the overwhelming force that blasted them away. Also, at the time we weren't already involved in another shooting war, wrapping another one up and mired in debt.

Get out of my head fucker!

Frazod
11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Get out of my head fucker!

Better yours than Tom's. :D

R&GHomer
11-23-2010, 03:09 PM

I didn't have an opportunity to cross train with ROK forces directly, but from what I could tell they are some tough SOB's. They were definitely treated more harshly than their Us counterparts. I used to feel sorry for the really low ranking ones. LOL they were slaves and if they even looked unhappy about it they would get the crap kicked out of them.

thecoffeeguy
11-23-2010, 03:14 PM

When I was there, there were pretty kick ass. Tough sons of bitches. Their boot camp, they would get the crap beat out of them daily.

Heard stories about the ROK forces in Vietnam. The Viet Cong went out of there way to avoid ROK forces.

BigMeatballDave
11-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Kim Jong il is taking his talents to South Korea.ROFL

MOhillbilly
11-23-2010, 03:21 PM
When I was there, there were pretty kick ass. Tough sons of bitches. Their boot camp, they would get the crap beat out of them daily.

Heard stories about the ROK forces in Vietnam. The Viet Cong went out of there way to avoid ROK forces.

i also heard the ROK forces get it hard. Doesnt make them tougher than brain dead half starved commies though.

BigMeatballDave
11-23-2010, 03:22 PM
With all due respect, this is a pretty big deal.

This is only marginally more 'DC' than an attack on the pentagon would be.

If this thing continues in the direction it's heading, it will likely have severe ramifications for the US and possibly escalate into a global conflict. In light of the fact that NK has nuclear capabilities, I'd say this bears keeping an eye on.Fine. We can keep an eye on it from DC.

FishingRod
11-23-2010, 03:32 PM
The South Korean Armed Forces are better trained, better equipped, funded about 30 times more than the North. The Economy of the South Dwarfs the North. They have twice as many people and on and on. Across the board the South is better but the North has a couple of nasty cards they can play. First the North Has a boatload of artillery in place in range of Soul the South's Capital of about 12 million people. And 2nd they have the threat ( I don't know if they have the capacity) of Dropping an atomic bomb or two. The South Just wants the North to go away.

Donger
11-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Fine. We can keep an eye on it from DC.

You are outnumbered and surrounded.

blaise
11-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Kim Jong-il now says he bombed South Korea as a ploy to get more twitter followers.

Brock
11-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Didn't I see some pictures a while back of NK "anti aircraft guns" than turned out to be rocks piled up with a log sticking up out of them?

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Every 57 years these guys have to stir up the shit....

Guess my 80 year old father will have to go back over there and kick their asses again.
Go 24th Infantry!

Yeah, my Dad is 83 and was in the Korean war too! I hope this escalates, we need to take NK and Iran down . Really!

gblowfish
11-23-2010, 04:25 PM
The pundits are saying North Korea is pulling this crap because they want food.
Let's just air drop a bunch of KFC grilled chicken on their countryside, and maybe they'll calm down.

Nobody here wants to eat that crap, that's for sure....

ModSocks
11-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Let's just air drop a bunch of KFC grilled chicken on their countryside, and maybe they'll calm down.

Must.......resist......temptation......

Rain Man
11-23-2010, 04:33 PM

When I was in 7th grade, my social studies teacher was a Vietnam veteran. I don't remember if he was army or marines, but I remember him saying that you didn't mess with the ROK troops. He said once that there was some kind of riot going on with some civilians, and he was part of the group that was trying unsuccessfully to get them to disperse. They called for help and a bunch of ROK troops showed up, and once the civilians saw them arrive the riot shut down immediately and everyone went home. Apparently the ROK troops didn't pull any punches, and everyone knew it.

Beef Supreme
11-23-2010, 04:36 PM
You awe worfress Awec Barwin

blaise
11-23-2010, 04:42 PM
You awe worfress Awec Barwin

MATT DAMON! MATT DAMON!

MOhillbilly
11-23-2010, 04:48 PM
When I was in 7th grade, my social studies teacher was a Vietnam veteran. I don't remember if he was army or marines, but I remember him saying that you didn't mess with the ROK troops. He said once that there was some kind of riot going on with some civilians, and he was part of the group that was trying unsuccessfully to get them to disperse. They called for help and a bunch of ROK troops showed up, and once the civilians saw them arrive the riot shut down immediately and everyone went home. Apparently the ROK troops didn't pull any punches, and everyone knew it.

My stepdad was 503rd of the 173rd AA and according to him NOONE was tougher in the history of the military.
ROK troops tough? psshhhhhhhh...

Bwana
11-23-2010, 05:47 PM
The pundits are saying North Korea is pulling this crap because they want food.

Good call, not only would it calm them down in the short term, but likely kill most of them off within two years. Problem solved......

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:EiLMpNW8TcNH-M:http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/fridechx/6db3efb2.jpg&t=1

chiefsnorth
11-23-2010, 05:59 PM
On June 25, 1950, ten infantry divisions and one tank brigade (150 T-34) of DPRK crossed the 38 line. Five infantry divisions of ROK resisted about three days before Seoul fell. The spanning Han River bridge was blown up while jam-packed with refugees.

1. If the NK tries this time, how long can the ROK troops hold? Many experts say that the NK troops will be like a hot knife going thru the butter against the south. But with the anti-tanks defense the NK will pay dearly for such adventure. Sure, Seoul will be devastated again. But c'est la guerre.

2. How fast the US response this time is also a question. Will they blockade the NK coast again? Will they bomb the supply line and the staging areas? or even the factories in the north? Knowing the NK could retaliate with nuclear weapons?

3. The China card. The modern China is more pragmatic than Mao's time. In fact I would say China is more capitalistic than it is communistic in their people's daily life. Many high level decision-makers have bank deposits in foreign banks. Would they risk to lose everything (bank account) for an unruly neighbor?

China has become an economic power on the world stage in just 30 years by trading with the West. I seriously doubt they would jeopardize cutting off that relationship to stand up for what is in truth a very poor nation, and one that is much more valuable to China as a threat than as a menace.

Second, the defending side here has had 50 years to prepare for an invasion, and you mention the clear military advantages in terms of the forces and tech they can bring to bear - and this is to say nothing of the fact that they would probably have an international coalition on the other end of a phone call.

North Korea seems to be suing hoping for a settlement as it were... because they dont want to have to lay this out for judgement.

chiefsnorth
11-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Good call, not only would it calm them down in the short term, but likely kill most of them off within two years. Problem solved......

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:EiLMpNW8TcNH-M:http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/fridechx/6db3efb2.jpg&t=1

Yes! Send them whatever this is and the double down KFC sando. Their soldiers will be tubs in no time!

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-23-2010, 06:59 PM
I really wish Reagan was President now!

LiveSteam
11-23-2010, 08:21 PM

Bo Pelini

ChiefaRoo
11-23-2010, 08:37 PM

The logistics to put 3million commies on their feet and moving with their equipment South would be enormous. It would take days and days just to get the guys in the front out of the way of the guys coming.

Our Airpower out of Japan and Guam and the USA would decimate them.

It's extremely difficult to invade a territory and hold it. It's much easier to defend. NK could blow their whole load in a week and could raise much hell but they'd be done as a nation after that nukes or no nukes.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-23-2010, 08:42 PM
The logistics to put 3million commies on their feet and moving with their equipment South would be enormous. It would take days and days just to get the guys in the front out of the way of the guys coming.

Our Airpower out of Japan and Guam and the USA would decimate them.

It's extremely difficult to invade a territory and hold it. It's much easier to defend. NK could blow their whole load in a week and could raise much hell but they'd be done as a nation after that nukes or no nukes.

we really should just put the Hiroshima touch on them and get done with it , which would get Irans attention.

ChiefaRoo
11-23-2010, 08:48 PM
we really should just put the Hiroshima touch on them and get done with it , which would get Irans attention.

I think it would be choke points and kill boxes. It would take the US awhile to scrape the NK's from the sky. I assume SK could do that by themselves. Then our bombers could move in on the NK ground troops and lay precision munition all over the place.

One of my buddies was an MP attached to the Marines in Iraq1. He got pics home of the the highway of death (not authorized). Those Iraqis were cooked in their vehicles. It looked like a real life terminator movie. We have better weapons and aircraft now.

BigRedChief
11-23-2010, 08:55 PM
With all due respect, this is a pretty big deal.BS.

This is nothing more than North Korean succession politics. The young chip off the old block is showing the generals he is a tough SOB so the generals won't overthrow him and replace him with one of their own.

I'm not saying there is no danger but there is really nothing to worry about, for now. Because both China and the USA have no interest in this spinning out of control for their own selfish reasons. And without China and the USA's support neither of the Korea's can make a move on the other.

MadMax
11-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Nuke the pie faces and be done with it already.....

MadMax
11-23-2010, 09:49 PM
My Dad died in that conflict, FUCK them!!!!!

JD10367
11-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Fuck. This better not make prices on parts for my Hyundai go up...

Extra Point
11-23-2010, 09:51 PM
We should have smart-bombed NK's first enrichment plant, in Dec 2001.

nstygma
11-23-2010, 10:04 PM
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/694/lawn.png
We used to stack ****s likes you five feet high in Korea... use ya for sand bags.

GloryDayz
11-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Since neither the North nor South Koreas are on the Chiefs schedule, so if they nuke each other, and miss a little and take-out China too, it's all good..

Bwana
11-23-2010, 11:38 PM
BOOM!

http://www.lahc.edu/classes/chemistry/arias/nuclear-explosion.jpg

salame
11-23-2010, 11:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Wiznaz/Kim_dat_ass.jpg