PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bowe's "win it all" inspiration?

LaChapelle
11-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Buying in

----
Posted on Mon, Nov. 22, 2010 11:16 PM

Chiefs: All eyes on the prize

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

<SCRIPT language=Javascript>function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); }</SCRIPT><!-- photo or image available --><!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/11/22/23/ChiefsCardinals0160_SP_11-21-10__11-23-2010_UK1IJJFQ.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/11/22/23/ChiefsCardinals0160_SP_11-21-10__11-23-2010_UK1IJJFQ.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)
JOHN SLEEZER
Thomas Jones (right) is one of the Chiefs who has playoff experience.
<!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->

<!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/gallery_link.comp -->Chiefs vs Cardinals Tailgating: Nov. 21 (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/21/2461808/chiefs-vs-cardinals-tailgating.html) <!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/gallery_link.comp --><!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/external_link.comp -->
Video | Haley likes what he sees from Tucker (http://videos.kansascity.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=31982821) <!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/external_link.comp -->
Join the discussion in the forums. (http://forums.kansascity.com/?q=forum/44)
<!-- Commenting out fact box for Jody Cox --><!-- /mi/pubsys/story/asset_list, include_asset_type=>"factbox" -->
More News

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>$(document).ready(function() { replaceRelated(160);});</SCRIPT>
Thomas Jones stood in front of the assembled Chiefs on Monday and delivered a message that can only come from someone who has been there and done that.

Jones, a veteran running back, informed his teammates that with six games left, it’s the time of season that true playoff contenders separate themselves from the pack and time for all of the Chiefs to dedicate themselves to that cause.

That can mean a lot of things — from spending more time in the hot and cold tubs, to watching extra video in preparation for the upcoming game, to not getting wrapped up in what Oakland and the Chiefs’ other AFC West pursuers are doing.

Jones’ words were aimed mainly at the many young players, but his message is one all are going to hear frequently from veterans and coaches alike as the Chiefs chase their first AFC West championship since 2003.

“This is the true grind-it-out period of the season,” Chiefs coach Todd Haley said. “Teams are going to start to define themselves as good teams, in-between teams and not-so-good teams. The teams that can grind it out and find ways to win during this time of year are the teams that will give themselves a chance down the road.”

That’s why Haley dropped a message on the Chiefs in the moments after Sunday’s 31-13 win over Arizona, a game that raised their record to 6-4 and left them in sole possession of first place in the AFC West.

He told them to immediately start preparations for this Sunday’s game against the Seahawks in Seattle and not follow other developments in the AFC West, including Monday night’s game between Denver and San Diego.
“There’s so much coverage of this game, this sport,” Haley said. “It’s everywhere. You’ve got to really work hard at filtering some of that out. This is a tough stretch. I made that point yesterday for a reason.

“We’ve got to just ride our horse right now, because you don’t know who the horses you have to watch out for are right now. You just don’t. The main thing is for us to just concentrate on our business, on what we’re doing. If you’re distracted or worrying about some of the other things that are going on, that will be a problem.”

The Chiefs have several players who already get the point. Jones has played for three different playoff teams. Guard Ryan Lilja, linebacker Mike Vrabel and quarterback Matt Cassel were members of Super Bowl teams — Lilja with Indianapolis and Vrabel and Cassel with New England.

Cassel joined the Patriots in 2005 as they were still celebrating their third Super Bowl championship in four years. He said he could sense the mood change in the locker room as a season headed into its stretch run.

“It was kind of like an unwritten rule. Not a lot had to be said. We had six weeks or whatever to separate ourselves. It started with the leaders on the team.

“They kind of reminded everybody that this is the reason we play, to go to the playoffs and compete for championships.”

Guard Brian Waters and center Casey Wiegmann were with the Chiefs during that 2003 season when they won the division. Waters was clearly buoyed by the fact the Chiefs moved back into first place with Sunday’s win but said he knows the Chiefs have plenty of work left to do.

“It’s not over,” he said. “It’s definitely not over. We’ve still got six games left, and we’ve still got people on our heels.”

The pressure galvanizes some teams and crushes others. The Chiefs won their first nine games in 2003 but teetered down the stretch and wound up losing in the playoffs to Indianapolis.

It remains to be seen how the 2010 Chiefs will handle the pressure, but Haley liked how they handled the Cardinals.

“(Sunday) was a good indicator,” he said. “This part of the season has been going on here for a couple of weeks. We’ve done some good things and some not-so-good things.

“What our team did (Sunday) was really about how (the Chiefs) prepared during the week. I don’t think a lot of stuff happens by accident. I thought we had a real good week of practice.”

CoMoChief
11-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Gotta crawl before you can walk....

This team is nowhere near being a playoff caliber team. We've played "good enough" at times against a very weak schedule, and have also lost some games to inferior opponents. We've also benefited from the fact that the rest of the teams in our division have crapped their pants the 1st half of the season. SD is still the best team in this division, by far. To say they can't look at what other teams are doing is a bunch of bull. There has to be that pressure or sense of urgency to win from here on out if another team in your division is playing well and biting at your heels for the division title.

What's important is the Chiefs win (all 3) of their remaining divisional games. Luckily 2 of the 3 are at home. But unfortunately the best team (SD) we have to play at their place and may have division title/playoff intentions. It's crucial that the Chiefs play well down the stretch if they wanna even sniff the playoffs, because the wild cards will not be coming out of the AFCW this season.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2010, 06:54 PM
This is why being "satisfied with 8-8 because that's what you expected before the season" is a bunch of bullshit.

Get your expectations up. Theirs are.

http://i53.tinypic.com/14bj0r7.jpg

Chiefs Pantalones
11-23-2010, 06:59 PM
It's true. If you're a contending team, you win these games coming up. I'm glad we've got some leaders on this team that push it.

TheGuardian
11-23-2010, 07:01 PM

This team is nowhere near being a playoff caliber team. We've played "good enough" at times against a very weak schedule, and have also lost some games to inferior opponents. We've also benefited from the fact that the rest of the teams in our division have crapped their pants the 1st half of the season. SD is still the best team in this division, by far.

We're a playoff team if we make the playoffs.

I wish some of you would quit with this bullshit. You win your way in. If you get in, you're a playoff team. If you don't, you're not. It's that simple.

LaChapelle
11-23-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm just a fan I can afford to be skeptical
A player can not and remain in the league

petegz28
11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
As Marcus Allen used to say, this is when the Contenders start to separate from the Pretenders.

CoMoChief
11-23-2010, 07:06 PM
We're a playoff team if we make the playoffs.

I wish some of you would quit with this bullshit. You win your way in. If you get in, you're a playoff team. If you don't, you're not. It's that simple.

Yeah we sure looked like a playoff team in 2006. :rolleyes:

Wish you weren't such a dumbfuck.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-23-2010, 07:18 PM

Wish you weren't such a dumbfuck.

Backing-in Herm-style might technically make you a play off team, but I think we know how that ends, yes?

Paniero
11-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Backing-in Herm-style might technically make you a play off team, but I think we know how that ends, yes?

It hasn't mattered if KC went 13-3 and had a first round bye and home field advantage, or backed in like the 2006 miracle facilitated by the Bronco's loss. This team has been a playoff team and lost in the first round, and there are a few teams that don't shine during the regular seaon and make it far in the playoffs.

I'm hoping this is the year that KC is that team.

TheGuardian
11-23-2010, 08:07 PM

Wish you weren't such a dumb****.

If you get in you're a playoff team.

Dumbshit? Son you have defined that with your football and mma takes on this board. Now go get yer shinebox bitch.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-23-2010, 08:35 PM
This is why being "satisfied with 8-8 because that's what you expected before the season" is a bunch of bullshit.

Get your expectations up. Theirs are.

http://i53.tinypic.com/14bj0r7.jpg

Players and coaches never have realistic expecations.

Will I be 'happy' with 8-8? Nope. But, about March, 8-8 will give us a ton to look forward to.

Now, to be fair, I don't expect 8-8. I expect 10-6. I don't think they lose at home, and that just means that they have to take one of three on the road. I think they could take two of three. Heck, they could end up 11-5.... seems ridiculous to say, but looking at the games left, and the injuries for the Titans, it is possible.

CoMoChief
11-23-2010, 10:55 PM
If you get in you're a playoff team.

Dumbshit? Son you have defined that with your football and mma takes on this board. Now go get yer shinebox bitch.

It's obvious you're obsessed with that thread....you just can't seem to ever stop talking about it. Maybe you just need to stay in that thread and never leave, you seem to be pretty content in your own little world over there. More than half of that thread is nothing but your post failures.

But about the "playoff" team, being in the playoffs and "being a playoff caliber" team are 2 different things. That was evident in 2006. I guess you actually thought we were good then, which you're one of the few. Figures, since you're a moron. Another example for your clueless ass is if you take a look at the NFCW this season. Are you going to sit there and say that one of those NFCW teams are playoff caliber? If so, you're a god damn fool. None of those teams should be ranked in the top 25 teams in this league however 1 will make it just by default in winning the division.

Im my mind, playoff caliber means "being good enough to compete with the other big dogs in the playoffs". If you're fine with the Chiefs making the playoffs at 9-7 and then being embarrassed in the first round by a team that's clearly deserves to be there, in order to give you that morale boner you crave, then so be it. I on the other hand, want a team that's able to beat the best teams out there and wins the division year in and out....like a NE, IND, or PIT.

salame
11-24-2010, 12:47 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lcGehYyWOlA/SvezItqHkjI/AAAAAAAAAVM/91XM1Df1T-0/s400/Kid_Dat_Ass.png

ThaVirus
11-24-2010, 12:58 AM
It's obvious you're obsessed with that thread....you just can't seem to ever stop talking about it. Maybe you just need to stay in that thread and never leave, you seem to be pretty content in your own little world over there. More than half of that thread is nothing but your post failures.

But about the "playoff" team, being in the playoffs and "being a playoff caliber" team are 2 different things. That was evident in 2006. I guess you actually thought we were good then, which you're one of the few. Figures, since you're a moron. Another example for your clueless ass is if you take a look at the NFCW this season. Are you going to sit there and say that one of those NFCW teams are playoff caliber? If so, you're a god damn fool. None of those teams should be ranked in the top 25 teams in this league however 1 will make it just by default in winning the division.

Im my mind, playoff caliber means "being good enough to compete with the other big dogs in the playoffs". If you're fine with the Chiefs making the playoffs at 9-7 and then being embarrassed in the first round by a team that's clearly deserves to be there, in order to give you that morale boner you crave, then so be it. I on the other hand, want a team that's able to beat the best teams out there and wins the division year in and out....like a NE, IND, or PIT.

I don't see why you're so pessimistic. It's ok to be skeptical, but I think you're going overboard with the negativity hoping you're wrong in the end. With the exception of the Denver game (which I think we can all agree was a fluke game) we've showed that we can go on the road and compete with good teams (the Colts are a good team, Houston has one of the best offenses of this decade-it just so happens they have the worst defense ever, and YES, Oakland is a "good" team). Not to mention we're perfect at home and look like a completely different team. If we do win the division, we'll get a home game against a pretty good team (the Jets or Ravens by the looks of it) and I don't see why we wouldn't be able to come out with a win against either of them. I would be very worried about our road playoff chances; but regardless, did you ever think that we'd be doing this well and showing this much improvement after these last three seasons?

CoMoChief
11-24-2010, 01:09 AM
I don't see why you're so pessimistic. It's ok to be skeptical, but I think you're going overboard with the negativity hoping you're wrong in the end. With the exception of the Denver game (which I think we can all agree was a fluke game) we've showed that we can go on the road and compete with good teams (the Colts are a good team, Houston has one of the best offenses of this decade-it just so happens they have the worst defense ever, and YES, Oakland is a "good" team). Not to mention we're perfect at home and look like a completely different team. If we do win the division, we'll get a home game against a pretty good team (the Jets or Ravens by the looks of it) and I don't see why we wouldn't be able to come out with a win against either of them. I would be very worried about our road playoff chances; but regardless, did you ever think that we'd be doing this well and showing this much improvement after these last three seasons?

you need to take off your homer glasses.

Both the Jets and Ravens are a lot better than this Chiefs team. And being able to compete on the road and being able to "win" on the road are two different things. There are no such thing as style points in the NFL. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Fact is....KC hasn't been able to play well on the road, it took a missed FG for us to beat Cleveland. And sorry, but the Raiders aren't a good team, neither is DEN. Just goes to show you how much work this team needs before they can thump their chests. Good playoff caliber teams beat the teams they're supposed to beat. This team can't afford to lose anymore bullshit games like NFCW teams, and winning div. games are a must, esp with SD biting at our heels.

ThaVirus
11-24-2010, 01:37 AM
you need to take off your homer glasses.

Both the Jets and Ravens are a lot better than this Chiefs team. And being able to compete on the road and being able to "win" on the road are two different things. There are no such thing as style points in the NFL. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Fact is....KC hasn't been able to play well on the road, it took a missed FG for us to beat Cleveland. And sorry, but the Raiders aren't a good team, neither is DEN. Just goes to show you how much work this team needs before they can thump their chests. Good playoff caliber teams beat the teams they're supposed to beat. This team can't afford to lose anymore bullshit games like NFCW teams, and winning div. games are a must, esp with SD biting at our heels.

I'm not wearing any kind of glasses. And I'm definitely not saying we're a top 5 team, or even top 10 for that matter. If we make the playoffs it will be the 4th seed but we'll likely be the 11th or 12th best team still playing in January. But that's fine with me seeing as how we were just what, 4-12 last season? If you can't see the improvement and reason to be optimistic after what's happened this season then I feel bad for you. Throwing out the Broncos game we've been 'in' every game we've played this season. Yeah, we could easily be 2-8, but we could just as easily be 8-2 (throwing out a defensive lapse in Houston and a fuck-up on Flowers' part in Oakland).

We may be a shitty road team, but that's expected with our roster. Like I said, we were 4-12 last season and we're now starting a rookie TE, NCB, FS, and SS with Dexter McCluster seeing extensive playing time when he's healthy. WE'RE STILL BUILDING CONFIDENCE. All it takes is that one snap, that sudden moment of realization for any one (or all) of these guys to 'get it'. If given the chance it's possible that we can come on in the playoffs and be that team that no one expected to win (the Giants of 08 or Steelers of 06).

ThaVirus
11-24-2010, 01:41 AM
And I'd like to rephrase what I said about the Raiders. You are right they're not a 'good' team yet, but they are very talented in many positions. They're great on both the offensive and defensive lines and we all know they have tons of speed everywhere else.. Given a competent owner and maybe a QB, they're a pretty good team.

Willie Lanier
11-25-2010, 02:27 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with seeing a re-energized lockerroom looking towards the ultimate goal. It's actually a breath of fresh air knowing that this team has been kicked in the ass and got the message.

kysirsoze
11-25-2010, 03:24 AM
It may be hokey, but I think a "winning mentality" or whatever you wanna call it is important. If this is real confidence and not just bullshit then I say great. Sure we may not be at that point yet, but it's important for the players to start thinking big and pushing themselves to live up to those expectations.

Chiefshrink
11-25-2010, 10:22 AM

This team is nowhere near being a playoff caliber team. We've played "good enough" at times against a very weak schedule, and have also lost some games to inferior opponents. We've also benefited from the fact that the rest of the teams in our division have crapped their pants the 1st half of the season. SD is still the best team in this division, by far. To say they can't look at what other teams are doing is a bunch of bull. There has to be that pressure or sense of urgency to win from here on out if another team in your division is playing well and biting at your heels for the division title.

What's important is the Chiefs win (all 3) of their remaining divisional games. Luckily 2 of the 3 are at home. But unfortunately the best team (SD) we have to play at their place and may have division title/playoff intentions. It's crucial that the Chiefs play well down the stretch if they wanna even sniff the playoffs, because the wild cards will not be coming out of the AFCW this season.

Well put. Sanity truly rules your world:thumb:

Rausch
11-25-2010, 10:27 AM
And I'd like to rephrase what I said about the Raiders. You are right they're not a 'good' team yet, but they are very talented in many positions. They're great on both the offensive and defensive lines and we all know they have tons of speed everywhere else.. Given a competent owner and maybe a QB, they're a pretty good team.

This could be said for most of the last 20 years...

Dave Lane
11-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with seeing a re-energized lockerroom looking towards the ultimate goal. It's actually a breath of fresh air knowing that this team has been kicked in the ass and got the message.

After that abortion Herm, Haley looks like a demi god. Thank the flying spaghetti monster him and Carl are the **** out of here.