PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Added treat for those going to Arrowhead on saturday

LaChapelle
11-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Carl Peterson’s fingerprints are all over the current Chiefs squad

By RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

<SCRIPT language=Javascript>function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); }</SCRIPT><!-- photo or image available --><!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/11/24/21/Falcons_Rams_Football_Burc.1_11-25-2010_811IL180.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/11/24/21/Falcons_Rams_Football_Burc.1_11-25-2010_811IL180.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)

<!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/story_link.comp -->

ST. LOUIS | Carl Peterson sat in the press box at the Edwards Jones Dome with one eye on the field below and another focused on the FanVision mobile device in his right hand.

He clicked buttons that provided live video from ground level, high level and the end zones, plus replays, stats and even fantasy-football information from up to three NFL games at a time. Of all the games available to him, guess which one was beaming from the 4.3-inch screen at Peterson’s fingertips Sunday?
Chiefs vs. Cardinals from Arrowhead Stadium.

“I’ll always have a soft spot for Kansas City. … It was a big part of my life,” said Peterson, 66, who appeared as fit and relaxed and at ease as he ever was during his 20-year tenure as the Chiefs’ chief executive officer, president and general manager.

Although Peterson doesn’t instantly check the Chiefs’ box scores in the paper on Monday mornings, he takes some pride in watching the club’s resurgence to first place in the AFC West, especially because his administration formed the team’s nucleus in the last four drafts before Peterson’s departure after the 2008 season.

Those drafts netted linebacker Derrick Johnson and punter Dustin Colquitt (2005); outside linebacker Tamba Hali (2006); wide receiver Dwayne Bowe (2007); and defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey, offensive tackles Branden Albert and Barry Richardson, running back Jamaal Charles and cornerbacks Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr (2008).

“I’m always happy for our players who do well,” Peterson said. “You start scouting these guys when they’re freshmen, sophomores in college, and you like to see how they mature and grow up and hopefully become the player you thought they would when they were drafted.

“I didn’t draft them. Somebody had to take the credit or the blame. I was the last word, and that was part of my deal with Lamar, but guys like … (personnel directors) Bill Kuharich and Lynn Stiles and all of our scouts … Chuck Cook and Lamonte Winston put so much time and effort into it.”

Some of those players struggled when the Chiefs embarked on a youth movement in 2007 and 2008. That led to 4-12 and 2-14 seasons, Peterson’s departure, the dismissal of coach Herm Edwards and the hiring of general manager Scott Pioli and head coach Todd Haley.

“We went from basically the oldest NFL team to the youngest,” Peterson said. “We knew we were going to take some lumps, and we did for two years. I’m not surprised these guys are playing well, because they played well in college.

“They’re still playing against the same guys, but in different uniforms. It’s a combination of good talent, good coaching, maturity and figuring out how to win. … I want them to do well, but I have 12 clients I want to do well, too.”

The Chiefs are not among the 12 franchises marketing FanVision to their fans. The Chiefs “didn’t show any interest,” said Peterson, whose clients also include three BCS games, the universities of Michigan and Miami and the PGA Tour.

Because Miami Dolphins owner Steve Ross is a close friend and partner in FanVision, some have connected the dots and speculated that Peterson may return to the NFL with the Dolphins as a replacement for Bill Parcells. Peterson may be interested in a role as a club president some day, but not as a general manager.

“I miss game day,” Peterson said wistfully. “I always miss game day. I miss the competition. I don’t miss the phone calls late at night … a player has a problem. I don’t miss the calls from the agents because their player had a good game and wants to renegotiate a contract we just did last year. I made a lot of great relationships. Every time I go to a game, it’s like old home week.”

In fact, in St. Louis last Sunday, Peterson reconnected with Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff, who cut his teeth in the Chiefs’ scouting department; Rams quarterbacks coach Dick Curl, a former Chiefs assistant; and Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez, the Chiefs’ first-round draft pick in 1997 and all-time leading receiver in franchise history, who is in his second season with Atlanta.

“This is the third time I’ve got to see Tony play this year, just because of the way the schedule fell in going around to our 12 NFL clients,” Peterson said.

For all the fingerprints Peterson has left on the Chiefs’ franchise, and despite the sweat equity he put into the $375 million renovation of Arrowhead Stadium, he has yet to venture into the refurbished arena.
“I’ve heard a lot of good things about it,” said Peterson, who now lives in New York City, where FanVision is based. He still maintains his home in Kansas City, where his wife, Lori, works with the sports architectural firm Populous — the company that designed the new Arrowhead.

So while he’s in Kansas City for Thanksgiving weekend, Peterson is considering getting a firsthand look at Arrowhead on Saturday by attending the Missouri-Kansas game, a venture in whose origins Peterson played a huge role.

“That was something we really worked hard to make happen, because Lamar (Hunt) wanted it,” Peterson said. “We all did. It was really a good thing for Kansas City and for the two schools.”

To reach Randy Covitz, call 816-234-4796 or send e-mail to rcovitz@kcstar.com (rcovitz@kcstar.com)

Posted on Wed, Nov. 24, 2010 10:15 PM

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/24/2470266/carl-petersons-fingerprints-all.html#ixzz16MJxmQoD

11-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Stay away Carl. Just stay away.

LaChapelle
11-25-2010, 10:47 PM
I wonder which wounded Carl more
the fart that Gonzo just ripped off
or the alien creature popping out of Gonzo's chest

beach tribe
11-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Notice how he didn't mention Herm Edwards' name when handing out credit for the drafts that landed those players? That's because Herm didn't have dick for say in drafting them.

Fritz88
11-26-2010, 06:22 AM
I'd credit Herm with this more than this tard.

Psyko Tek
11-26-2010, 10:28 AM
dick curl's the lamb's QB coach
Bradford is dooooomed

LaChapelle
11-26-2010, 10:35 AM
After coaching Brodie Croyle
Curl patented a duct tape and tomato stake exoskeleton
which was just okayed this pre- season

milkman
11-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Notice how he didn't mention Herm Edwards' name when handing out credit for the drafts that landed those players? That's because Herm didn't have dick for say in drafting them.

I think Herman fucking Edwards got Clark to buy into the plan to go young and rebuild through the draft, and the final draft of the Carl era was sue more to Bill Kuharich and Chuck Cook, whose scouting staff was finally used appropriately.

I don't believe Herman fucking Edwards gets credit for drafting players, but he does get credit for the changing of organizational philosophy.

Fritz88
11-26-2010, 11:52 AM
I think Herman fucking Edwards got Clark to buy into the plan to go young and rebuild through the draft, and the final draft of the Carl era was sue more to Bill Kuharich and Chuck Cook, whose scouting staff was finally used appropriately.

I don't believe Herman fucking Edwards gets credit for drafting players, but he does get credit for the changing of organizational philosophy.

The 346th time mm shares this. ROFL.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC
11-26-2010, 12:03 PM
I'd credit Herm with this more than this tard.

Yep I agree, To fail properly you have to have complete Failure as your HC...

Herm was the man, nobody failed better than Herm...

Reerun_KC
11-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Stay away Carl. Just stay away.

This...

Nobody cares about your nor will give you a round of applause for your services... Just go away and die Carl...

milkman
11-26-2010, 12:05 PM
The 346th time mm shares this. ROFL.
Posted via Mobile Device

And everytime anyone tries to give Carl any credit for that last draft, I will share it again.

I don't care if I have to do so 3460000000000 times.

Carl sucked ass every bit as much as Herman fucking Edwards.

Both needed to be shitcanned, but I would have been okay if Bill Kuharich had stayed on.

Fritz88
11-26-2010, 12:18 PM
And everytime anyone tries to give Carl any credit for that last draft, I will share it again.

I don't care if I have to do so 3460000000000 times.

Carl sucked ass every bit as much as Herman ****ing Edwards.

Both needed to be shitcanned, but I would have been okay if Bill Kuharich had stayed on.

I find it hard to digest that Herm did not have a say in drafting Flowers and Carr given his background in coaching DBs and being a DB himself.

Rain Man
11-26-2010, 12:22 PM
At some point when the Chiefs win a Super Bowl, Carl will be arrested trying to run up onto the podium to grab the trophy and claim credit.

milkman
11-26-2010, 12:27 PM
I find it hard to digest that Herm did not have a say in drafting Flowers and Carr given his background in coaching DBs and being a DB himself.

Flowers was s first round talent that fell due to his lack of speed.

Carr was a gift, so to speak, for Herman fucking Edwards to play with.