PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Today's Game

gblowfish
11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Ten Things About Today's Game

10. What a great Turkey Day weekend at the Blowfish household. I'm an Uncle again (for the fourth time) Little William James Blowfish born in Lawrence, KS day before Thanksgiving. One of my favorite days EVAH at Arrowhead yesterday, putting a serious no doubt football beat down on the Radio-Led Beakers -Nice KU uni's BTW, looked like the same uni's the 4-0-77 M*A*S*H wore in the movie. Then today, slept in late for the first time in weeks, let the kitties go out on the screened porch and lounge in the sun. Then at game time, home made guacamole for a tasty snack, leather La-Z-Boy and Mitch & Lenny on the stereo, and we actually played a great game on the road. This one had its anxious moments, but definitely not a squeaker like in Cleveland. What a joy to watch. Haven't been able to enjoy a road game like this for a long, long time. It reminded me of the days when the Seachicks were in the AFC West, and Martyball used to beat their ass in the Kingdome. And I kept thinking about Stevie Ray being there, great he got to see a win on the road.

9. Lots of progress made with this experience, with a lot more good things learned than bad. I'll touch on both, but winning today was very important, with both the Donks and the Convicts losing at home. Tonight let's hope that Phyllis Rivers wilts under the prime time spotlight. Chiefs came out with a great opening drive, offense ground clock in the fourth quarter and scored a kill shot TD with about three and a half minutes left in the game. THAT's what good teams do down the stretch when division races get serious. And we managed to overcome penalties, which has been a nagging issue over the past couple games.

8. Back after the Indy and Convicts game, I suggested we should trade Cassel and Bowe after this year, as KC would never make the big show with this tandem. Today both players had their best games as Chiefs. I officially reverse my position on Bowe, we need to keep this guy around, because he's turned himself around as a player. He simply was great today. 13 catches, 170 yards, 3 TDs, a couple drops, none critical. Bowe adjusted to the football, did a great job getting his feet in, and had several third down catches to sustain drives. Big kudos to Bowe, this game may get him that Pro Bowl berth. Hope his hip is OK, he landed pretty hard toward the end of the game and did not return. Hopefully its not much more than a bruise. Get that man in an ice tub now, and for God's sake, keep throwing him the rock.

7. I'm still not sold on Cassel. Sorry to say that, but I'm still not drinking the Kool Aid. Yes, today was absolutely his best day as a Chief, 22-32 for 233 and 4 TDs. He ran for 28 yards, and ran away from or threw the ball away to save three or four sacks. He hustled, looked motivated, actually went downfield to block for Charles on one play where Charles reversed field. But remember, Seattle went into the game 26th in total defense, and average giving up almost 285 yards passing per game. They average about 23.5 points per game, and that all held true today. So let's not get too excited about Cassel just yet. Let's see how he does next week against Denver at home,and if he can keep this going. Also, he MUST stay healthy, or we're definitely screwed.

6. I think Thomas Jones has lost his burst. The lengthy season is starting to catch up with his quicks. He's had a lot of runs for no gain, or for just a yard or two. He had 20 carries today -Charles had 22- yet Charles went for 173 yards. I think in a tight game, Charles needs more touches. I understand you can't run Charles 40 times a game, and Jones is good at grinding the game down in the fourth quarter. Best of all, he does not fumble. But Charles needs more touches early because he's a play maker, and can break one at any time. I also thought we might have wanted to use Charles on kickoff or punts today. If Arenas would have went down, we may have seen that. Arenas played a gutsy game today. Props to him too.

5. Injuries are starting to catch up to us, and major kudos to the secondary today. Important minutes were played by Arenas, Price and Bates, and picks by Lewis and Daniels. We definitely need Flowers back next week against Denver. Hali was very quiet until he got a fumble recovery on a ball jarred loose by DJ. His pass rush is suffering, he needs a second wind. And how about the Genital Giant? A Fridge-Like rushing TD and a sack in one game? Now THAT's how you grab the opponent by the nut sack and twist it.

4. How bout our rookies today? Important contributions today by Arenas, Tucker, Berry, Lewis with a pick and Moeaki with a TD.That's five rookies with a serious game contributions in a late season, meaningful game. That's a testament to Pioli. Big props for a tremendous draft class and practice squad. That's just outstanding personnel production, like nothing we've seen since Hank Stram.

3. The special teams performance was the worst of the season. The blocked field goal was on Succop, He just hit it low. The blocked punt was on Tucker. I believe he was the flyer, took off, and left two guys for Battle to block. Battle picked up one, but the outside guy (Earl Thomas) got a clean shot at Colquitt. Luckily, we adjusted, and had no more close calls the rest of the game.

2. That blocked punt for a TD, and the 87-yard bomb for a TD were both brain farts by rookies. We're going to have stuff like that happen with rookies, but we seem to be adjusting quickly. I think that's a testament to the coaching. The forgotten upgrade this year is the coaching staff: Weis, Crennel,Thomas, all have really made a big difference this year. Again, big props to Pioli for getting them in here to help Coach Haley.

1. I really really REALLY hate Denver. It would be sweet to put a payback beating on them. However, I don't want to be so focused on that game that we lose a season perspective. For example, Nebraska has a big revenge woody to beat Texas at home this year. They salivated over it for a whole year. Then on Game Day they crapped themselves from the extra pressure. So let's be confident, keep an eye on the prize, but stay balanced and poised...

And hopefully we'll beat the day living PISS out of the Donkeys next Sunday.

And for the record, I love the red pants on the road too. Stylin!!

jjchieffan
11-28-2010, 07:47 PM
About time you get this up. What took so long?j/k

Ugly Duck
11-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Did your coach shake hands this time, or did he just spit on the guy?

GloryDayz
11-28-2010, 07:50 PM

We did our spitting on the field!!

Marcellus
11-28-2010, 07:52 PM
7. I'm still not sold on Cassel. Sorry to say that, but I'm still not drinking the Kool Aid. Yes, today was absolutely his best day as a Chief, 22-32 for 233 and 4 TDs. He ran for 28 yards, and ran away from or threw the ball away to save three or four sacks. He hustled, looked motivated, actually went downfield to block for Charles on one play where Charles reversed field. But remember, Seattle went into the game 26th in total defense, and average giving up almost 285 yards passing per game. They average about 23.5 points per game, and that all held true today. So let's not get too excited about Cassel just yet. Let's see how he does next week against Denver at home,and if he can keep this going. Also, he MUST stay healthy, or we're definitely screwed.

No offense GBF but the 2 bolded parts here kind of conflict with each other.

gblowfish
11-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Yeah, he's a real bad sport, kneeling on the ball and all to try to euthanize that Seahawk at the end.

You're a poop stain, dude.

teedubya
11-28-2010, 07:55 PM
"Blowfish born in Lawrence, KS"

That warms my heart.

gblowfish
11-28-2010, 07:57 PM
No offense GBF but the 2 bolded parts here kind of conflict with each other.

That's cool, I can understand why you would say that.

Let me say this:

1) I'm not sure Cassel is our long term answer. He hasn't shown me enough yet to say we need to build around him.

2) If he does happen to go down, we definitely have no shot. So, we have to keep him upright, or it's no doubt we're done. He's the best we've got right now, but that doesn't mean he's going to be Manning or Rivers or Brady. Does that make sense?

And with the Donks and the Convicts yet to come, it wouldn't surprise me if part of their game strategy is to try to get Brokie Croyle in the game.

The Bad Guy
11-28-2010, 07:57 PM

It's hilarious how people continually want to make excuses for why this guy is doing well.

So far, I have:

1) He can't lead us to a game-winning drive (he did against Buffalo).
2) He's not making progress (22/4 TD:Int ratio says otherwise) I know, I know, stats are for assholes.
3) He's checking it down and that's how we are getting the yards (another myth)
4) And now...The Seahawks are 26th in passing D. (nevermind that they have allowed only 19.2 points per game at home, and that's including a thumping by the Giants when Charlie Whitehurst basically couldn't move the ball at all).

It's a tiresome act. It really is. I hated Cassel's guts for a long time, but it's completely ignorant to continue to make excuse after excuse for why he's playing incredible football right now.

You don't get 22 TDs to 4 picks by luck. I don't care who you are in the NFL. He's made progress necessary to get the bonus.

Flame away.

Bugeater
11-28-2010, 08:00 PM
:cuss: @ #1

gblowfish
It's hilarious how people continually want to make excuses for why this guy is doing well.

So far, I have:

2) He's not making progress (22/4 TD:Int ratio says otherwise) I know, I know, stats are for assholes.
4) And now...The Seahawks are 26th in passing D. (nevermind that they have allowed only 19.2 points per game at home, and that's including a thumping by the Giants when Charlie Whitehurst basically couldn't move the ball at all).

It's a tiresome act. It really is. I hated Cassel's guts for a long time, but it's completely ignorant to continue to make excuse after excuse for why he's playing incredible football right now.

You don't get 22 TDs to 4 picks by luck. I don't care who you are in the NFL. He's made progress necessary to get the bonus.

Flame away.

Again, I can understand why you would say this when the guy played his best game as a Chief. He was great today, did a great job. Now that the sun has shined on his ass for one day, let's see where it goes from here.

The Bad Guy
That's cool, I can understand why you would say that.

Let me say this:

1) I'm not sure Cassel is our long term answer. He hasn't shown me enough yet to say we need to build around him.

2) If he does happen to go down, we definitely have no shot. So, we have to keep him upright, or it's no doubt we're done. He's the best we've got right now, but that doesn't mean he's going to be Manning or Rivers or Brady. Does that make sense?

And with the Donks and the Convicts yet to come, it wouldn't surprise me if part of their game strategy is to try to get Brokie Croyle in the game.

Isn't that everyone's plan? To get the backup QB in the game?

Why wouldn't you want to build around him now? QB's don't grow on trees (but there's enough here that think they do) and the work Weis has done with Cassel in one short period of time has been remarkable.

He literally has one WR, a completely worthless Chambers, a glorified specials teamer, and an undrafted free agent to throw to and he's directing this passing game.

He's never going to be a superstar QB, but cutting bait with him and not securing him long term after this year is a move that basically spits in the face in everything built this season.

The Bad Guy
11-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Again, I can understand why you would say this when the guy played his best game as a Chief. He was great today, did a great job. Now that the sun has shined on his ass for one day, let's see where it goes from here.

The sun shined on his ass last week too according to most on here.

I'm not basing my opinion on one game, but a collection of games he's had that he's performed very well this year.

gblowfish
11-28-2010, 08:02 PM
:cuss: @ #1
Sorry bout that Bugeater. I feel your pain.

BigMeatballDave
11-28-2010, 08:03 PM

So far, I have:

Flame away.There is no way Matt will not be here next season. He is improving, no doubt. I'd LOVE to see this kind of play in SD. We'll need it because Rivers is gonna shred our young secondary.

gblowfish
11-28-2010, 08:03 PM
The sun shined on his ass last week too according to most on here.

I'm not basing my opinion on one game, but a collection of games he's had that he's performed very well this year.

Dude, he beat the Arizona Cardinals.

If he can do that in a playoff game against the Colts, or Pats, or Jets, or Steelers, then I'd say you're right.

There's still no guarantee we even make the playoffs this year.

Chieftain58
11-28-2010, 08:04 PM

10. What a great Turkey Day weekend at the Blowfish household. I'm an Uncle again (for the fourth time) Little William James Blowfish born in Lawrence, KS day before Thanksgiving. One of my favorite days EVAH at Arrowhead yesterday, putting a serious no doubt football beat down on the Radio-Led Beakers -Nice KU uni's BTW, looked like the same uni's the 4-0-77 M*A*S*H wore in the movie. Then today, slept in late for the first time in weeks, let the kitties go out on the screened porch and lounge in the sun. Then at game time, home made guacamole for a tasty snack, leather La-Z-Boy and Mitch & Lenny on the stereo, and we actually played a great game on the road. This one had its anxious moments, but definitely not a squeaker like in Cleveland. What a joy to watch. Haven't been able to enjoy a road game like this for a long, long time. It reminded me of the days when the Seachicks were in the AFC West, and Martyball used to beat their ass in the Kingdome. And I kept thinking about Stevie Ray being there, great he got to see a win on the road.

9. Lots of progress made with this experience, with a lot more good things learned than bad. I'll touch on both, but winning today was very important, with both the Donks and the Convicts losing at home. Tonight let's hope that Phyllis Rivers wilts under the prime time spotlight. Chiefs came out with a great opening drive, offense ground clock in the fourth quarter and scored a kill shot TD with about three and a half minutes left in the game. THAT's what good teams do down the stretch when division races get serious. And we managed to overcome penalties, which has been a nagging issue over the past couple games.

8. Back after the Indy and Convicts game, I suggested we should trade Cassel and Bowe after this year, as KC would never make the big show with this tandem. Today both players had their best games as Chiefs. I officially reverse my position on Bowe, we need to keep this guy around, because he's turned himself around as a player. He simply was great today. 13 catches, 170 yards, 3 TDs, a couple drops, none critical. Bowe adjusted to the football, did a great job getting his feet in, and had several third down catches to sustain drives. Big kudos to Bowe, this game may get him that Pro Bowl berth. Hope his hip is OK, he landed pretty hard toward the end of the game and did not return. Hopefully its not much more than a bruise. Get that man in an ice tub now, and for God's sake, keep throwing him the rock.

6. I think Thomas Jones has lost his burst. The lengthy season is starting to catch up with his quicks. He's had a lot of runs for no gain, or for just a yard or two. He had 20 carries today -Charles had 22- yet Charles went for 173 yards. I think in a tight game, Charles needs more touches. I understand you can't run Charles 40 times a game, and Jones is good at grinding the game down in the fourth quarter. Best of all, he does not fumble. But Charles needs more touches early because he's a play maker, and can break one at any time. I also thought we might have wanted to use Charles on kickoff or punts today. If Arenas would have went down, we may have seen that. Arenas played a gutsy game today. Props to him too.

5. Injuries are starting to catch up to us, and major kudos to the secondary today. Important minutes were played by Arenas, Price and Bates, and picks by Lewis and Daniels. We definitely need Flowers back next week against Denver. Hali was very quiet until he got a fumble recovery on a ball jarred loose by DJ. His pass rush is suffering, he needs a second wind. And how about the Genital Giant? A Fridge-Like rushing TD and a sack in one game? Now THAT's how you grab the opponent by the nut sack and twist it.

4. How bout our rookies today? Important contributions today by Arenas, Tucker, Berry, Lewis with a pick and Moeaki with a TD.That's five rookies with a serious game contributions in a late season, meaningful game. That's a testament to Pioli. Big props for a tremendous draft class and practice squad. That's just outstanding personnel production, like nothing we've seen since Hank Stram.

3. The special teams performance was the worst of the season. The blocked field goal was on Succop, He just hit it low. The blocked punt was on Tucker. I believe he was the flyer, took off, and left two guys for Battle to block. Battle picked up one, but the outside guy (Earl Thomas) got a clean shot at Colquitt. Luckily, we adjusted, and had no more close calls the rest of the game.

2. That blocked punt for a TD, and the 87-yard bomb for a TD were both brain farts by rookies. We're going to have stuff like that happen with rookies, but we seem to be adjusting quickly. I think that's a testament to the coaching. The forgotten upgrade this year is the coaching staff: Weis, Crennel,Thomas, all have really made a big difference this year. Again, big props to Pioli for getting them in here to help Coach Haley.

1. I really really REALLY hate Denver. It would be sweet to put a payback beating on them. However, I don't want to be so focused on that game that we lose a season perspective. For example, Nebraska has a big revenge woody to beat Texas at home this year. They salivated over it for a whole year. Then on Game Day they crapped themselves from the extra pressure. So let's be confident, keep an eye on the prize, but stay balanced and poised...

Whatever!

KC Jones
11-28-2010, 08:06 PM
As much as I hope we tear the Broncos a new one, I'm thinking Orton will have a field day with our depleted secondary.

The Bad Guy
11-28-2010, 08:07 PM

If he can do that in a playoff game against the Colts, or Pats, or Jets, or Steelers, then I'd say you're right.

You're right George. We should cut him after the season since the bar is now set this year to beating elite teams in the playoffs when everyone on this board throught this was a 5-11 team at best (there are some few exceptions). The goalposts constantly keep getting moved.

I'm glad Haley flipped you off.

Three7s
11-28-2010, 08:08 PM

The Seahawks and Cardinals, both, have pretty bad secondaries. The big thing with me is the poise and the accuracy he's showing. He's getting it done, bad defenses or not.

gblowfish
11-28-2010, 08:08 PM
As much as I hope we tear the Broncos a new one, I'm thinking Orton will have a field day with our depleted secondary.

Hopefully it will be cold. Denver never plays well in KC in December. If we can get Flowers back, and get some crowd noise working, it could help neutralize them a bit. I can't see him going all Daffy Duck bomb crazy this game like the game in Denver.

Bugeater
11-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Sorry bout that Bugeater. I feel your pain.
Eh, it's the truth though. That game is going to stick in my craw for a long time.

Whatever!
That well thought out response was totally worth quoting the entire OP.

gblowfish
11-28-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm glad Haley flipped you off.

Allegedly flipped me off. He said he may have waved.

Look man, I hope you're right. I really do. I just haven't seen enough to be completely sold yet. Let's see where we are at the end of the year, and then decide what we need to do.

The Bad Guy
11-28-2010, 08:13 PM

Look man, I hope you're right. I really do. I just haven't seen enough to be completely sold yet. Let's see where we are at the end of the year, and then decide what we need to do.

I agree there's a lot of football left, but anyone thinking that he's not getting the roster bonus is kidding themselves.

KC Jones
11-28-2010, 08:14 PM
The Seahawks and Cardinals, both, have pretty bad secondaries. The big thing with me is the poise and the accuracy he's showing. He's getting it done, bad defenses or not.

He was under some pressure today and delivered the ball accurately. That was good to see. If he can build on these last two games he might be a legitimate QB after all. I'll never forget how awful I thought Green was that first year.

digger
11-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Great post, these are always great reads.

RINGLEADER
11-28-2010, 08:30 PM

So far, I have:

Flame away.

No need to flame -- the biggest issue I've had with Cassel is consistency and accuracy. He has improved upon both dramatically in the past few games. Earlier in the season you'd see him play a solid half but never really put an entire game together.

All that said, he IS moving in the right direction and is playing like a quality QB. I no longer fear him behind center. ;)

RINGLEADER
11-28-2010, 08:32 PM

Well the other question is who's a) better and b) available?

gblowfish
11-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Well the other question is who's a) better and b) available?

If the question is, who's better, then there's four or five QBs in the AFC who are better and have much more big game experience. Are any of them available? No.

But we may want to pick up a QB with a #2 or #3 draft pick next year -if there's a season. Also, our payroll is among the lowest in the NFL, so we would have free agent money available if the opportunity came along for a marquee guy. We're paying Cassel like an elite QB. How many playoff games has he won again???

Gonzo
11-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I really don't agree with you on Jones. Weiss kept trying to run him around the edge and that's just not his style. He doesn't have the speed for that. He's a north-south kind of back, a" bruiser" and he's just not going to get around the edge.
Good post, as usual b-fish.
Congrats on the new baby man.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
11-28-2010, 08:56 PM

9. Chiefs came out with a great opening drive, offense ground clock in the fourth quarter and scored a kill shot TD with about three and a half minutes left in the game. THAT's what good teams do down the stretch when division races get serious. And we managed to overcome penalties, which has been a nagging issue over the past couple games.

Very very good point. I like it, but it was a bad defense that had been on the field a lot. But they did it. Hopefully it marks a corner being turned.

I never wanted to trade Bowe. But I certainly didn't expect this type of production. Holy shit the man is a machine. And the hell of it is we don't throw to anyone else. Bowe had 13 of 22 receptions. That is absurd. Especially with the talent in the backfield, and having Moeaki. They hardly looked his way last year, throwing to that worthless bum Wade and Lance fucking Long, now they won't look off. And the man is balling up and producing. It is outstanding.

I'm with you here. He looked good against a couple of bad teams. That is most definitely an improvement. He normally looks terrible against bad teams. These last 2 games are definitely something to be excited about. Goddamn it, if he'd play like this consistently, life would be good.

It's like someone flipped a switch and he went from looking like he'd never touched a football to all pro. I really don't understand what changed, but I'm glad it did. I hope to everything holy it stays around and I have to have a big crow sandwich with mustard. But this guy has shit down his leg enough times to keep me skeptical. I don't know what it will take to convert me, but there is definitely hope.

9. Chiefs came out with a great opening drive, offense ground clock in the fourth quarter and scored a kill shot TD with about three and a half minutes left in the game. THAT's what good teams do down the stretch when division races get serious. And we managed to overcome penalties, which has been a nagging issue over the past couple games.

Very very good point. I like it, but it was a bad defense that had been on the field a lot. But they did it. Hopefully it marks a corner being turned.

I never wanted to trade Bowe. But I certainly didn't expect this type of production. Holy shit the man is a machine. And the hell of it is we don't throw to anyone else. Bowe had 13 of 22 receptions. That is absurd. Especially with the talent in the backfield, and having Moeaki. They hardly looked his way last year, throwing to that worthless bum Wade and Lance fucking Long, now they won't look off. And the man is balling up and producing. It is outstanding.

Milkman postulated this in the chat. It makes good sense, but he still has value and I'm still glad he's here. I still think they need to work on when Charles gets his carries. If Jones shows he is breaking down, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Jackie Battle. I've been in his corner since LJ was here and continue to be. I think you still don't give Charles a million carries unless a big game is on the line. If it is an important game and it is looking close down the stretch, feed the fucking beast. He is the offense, not TJ or Battle. Let him win games.

It sucks. The first few weeks, we thought Special Teams was a major strength. Now it is a liability. :(

Fuck Denver.

The Bad Guy
11-28-2010, 09:01 PM
If the question is, who's better, then there's four or five QBs in the AFC who are better and have much more big game experience. Are any of them available? No.

But we may want to pick up a QB with a #2 or #3 draft pick next year -if there's a season. Also, our payroll is among the lowest in the NFL, so we would have free agent money available if the opportunity came along for a marquee guy. We're paying Cassel like an elite QB. How many playoff games has he won again???

There's no marquee QB coming available. None. Zip. Ziltch.

Really, elite NFL QBs are making in the 100 mill range, so no, we aren't paying him elite money.

And while we are paying him a boatload basically due to Pioli's belief he will turn into something really good, it shouldn't matter in the context of the argument.

Deberg_1990
11-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Why do i get the feeling the Chiefs will lose in the 1st round of the playoffs....and no matter what Cassel does, people will come out of that with threads like:

Still not Sold on Cassel
Cassel cant win the big one
Cassel Still sucks
etc, etc, etc....

Lets try and have some perspective.....this is still a rebuilding team. Lots of work to do. Its all a process. : )

Cassel isnt even the biggest problem on this team....no pass rush without blitzing is this teams biggest problem area.

Buehler445
11-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Why do i get the feeling the Chiefs will lose in the 1st round of the playoffs....and no matter what Cassel does, people will come out of that with threads like:

Still not Sold on Cassel
Cassel cant win the big one
Cassel Still sucks
etc, etc, etc....

Lets try and have some perspective.....this is still a rebuilding team. Lots of work to do. Its all a process. : )

Cassel isnt even the biggest problem on this team....no pass rush without blitzing is this teams biggest problem area.

This is a pretty good take. We're miles ahead of where I'd expected to be, but the QB discussion is an important one because it is the hardest position to fill.

Dave Lane
11-28-2010, 09:14 PM

I didn't watch the whole game last week skipped parts but we HAVE to get a pass rush. If Orton is given time he will shred us.

Dave Lane
11-28-2010, 09:17 PM
He was under some pressure today and delivered the ball accurately. That was good to see. If he can build on these last two games he might be a legitimate QB after all. I'll never forget how awful I thought Green was that first year.

Thats why I've said all off season lets see what we have in Cassel this year. I was about out of patience with him to be honest.

gblowfish
11-28-2010, 09:19 PM
There's no marquee QB coming available. None. Zip. Ziltch.

Really, elite NFL QBs are making in the 100 mill range, so no, we aren't paying him elite money.

And while we are paying him a boatload basically due to Pioli's belief he will turn into something really good, it shouldn't matter in the context of the argument.

Interesting info from USA Today about QB salaries:
http://tinyurl.com/258xptu

For point of comparison, Chiefs signed Cassel to a 6 year, $62.7 million contract in July 2009, so that's about $10 mill per year.:

"New contracts signed in 2009 by strong-armed passers Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Jay Cutler have undoubtedly raised the bar on the price for franchise quarterbacks in the NFL.

Next in line for megadeals: Super Bowl XLIV starters Drew Brees and Peyton Manning as well as Tom Brady, all nearing the end of existing deals.

"Regardless of the labor situation, everyone wants to have their star quarterback locked up," says agent Tom Condon, who represents Brees and Manning, mindful of the unsettled collective bargaining agreement.

SALARY DATABASE: Every player, every salary

The New York Giants' Eli Manning, also a Condon client, signed a six-year extension in August that raised his average salary to $16.25 million, the highest for a multiyear deal.

Rivers, the San Diego Chargers quarterback, earned more in salary and bonuses in 2009 than any other NFL player, according to a USA TODAY analysis of player salaries. Rivers, who averages $15.3 million a year, got a $19.55 million signing bonus with a renegotiated contract in August.

Cutler signed an extension with the Chicago Bears that raised his average salary to $14.67 million.

Peyton Manning had the highest salary-cap figure ($21,205,718) in 2009 but was sixth among quarterbacks with a $14 million average. Before the Super Bowl, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay said he expected Manning, signed through 2012, to become the NFL's highest-paid player.

Brady, entering the final year of his contract, could end up in the same neighborhood. His average of $12.13 million is more than $4 million less than Eli Manning's. "Obviously, he's an important part of what we're doing," New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said last week. "There'll be a time and place for it."

Ugly Duck
11-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Why do i get the feeling the Chiefs will lose in the 1st round of the playoffs....

I dunno. Chiefs have had 8 postseason victories so far. That's 0.16 postseason victories per year of play. You're due.

KChiefs1
11-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Great read George!

Love the red pants too!

Hydrae
11-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Wow, my favorite weekly thread and I had to go to the 3rd page to find it. CP is slipping!

dj56dt58
11-29-2010, 11:24 AM

He played his best game as a Chief..the week after playing his best game as a Chief. Thats called improvement

gblowfish
11-29-2010, 11:31 AM
The minute he has a three pick day, half this board will want to push him out of a speeding car.

Yes, he's been good for two weeks. Let's see how he handles a December playoff push.

philfree
11-29-2010, 11:46 AM

We bucked the odds in this game by winning a game where we had both a FG and a punt blocked. The odds of winning a game when that happens are very slim. It was like we didn't even blink. I think that shows great composure of the entire team. Coaches and players a like.

PhilFree:arrow:

gblowfish
11-29-2010, 11:48 AM

We bucked the odds in this game by winning a game where we had both a FG and a punt blocked. The odds of winning a game when that happens are very slim. It was like we didn't even blink. I think that shows great composure of the entire team. Coaches and players a like.

PhilFree:arrow:

I re-watched the blocked punt. Actually, Thomas went inside of Battle. They basically got two guys isolated on one (Battle) and Battle could only take one of them. It was a well designed scheme to block the punt. Gotta give Seattle credit for that, it was a good play by them.

Chiefnj2
11-29-2010, 11:56 AM
The minute he has a three pick day, half this board will want to push him out of a speeding car.

Yes, he's been good for two weeks. Let's see how he handles a December playoff push.

The biggest problem, IMO, will be the young secondary hitting the rookie wall. They already have a few major problems every game letting people get behind them. My concern is that they will start breaking down even more.

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-29-2010, 12:05 PM
The biggest problem, IMO, will be the young secondary hitting the rookie wall. They already have a few major problems every game letting people get behind them. My concern is that they will start breaking down even more.

I was, however, pleased with the play of Daniels off the bench. He played very well for being basically a fill-in player.