PDA

View Full Version : Poop English Mastiff

kcmaxwell
11-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Anyone on here own one? My wife has been begging for years for a mastiff, and I think we are finally going to get one. Any advice? Training tips, that kinda thing would be greatly appreciated! Y'all have a good night, and Go Chiefs!

Gadzooks
11-28-2010, 11:53 PM
You've picked a bad time for this advice. The Chiefs are on the brink of losing their lead in the AFC West.
The entire board's in panic mode.
I have a cat BTW (Can't go wrong with a cat).

teedubya
11-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Good lord, prepare for nasty slobbering all over everything... and none of your friends wanting to come over and hang out...

I have a friend with an English mastiff... and it is worse than Hooch. Plus, I bet your wife just wants to hump it. It's junk is huge and tried to hump my wife's leg. She wont ever go over there anymore.

heh

QuikSsurfer
11-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Hope you have some coin saved up if you plan on getting a puppy through a good breeder.
Expensive to keep but a pleasure to have.

jd1020
11-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Tip: Get a BIG dog house and a snow shovel to pick up the shit.

yhf
11-29-2010, 12:12 AM
My brother in law has a male english mastiff and I think it is one of the coolest damn dogs I have ever encountered, all slobber aside he is extremely well tempered and great with kids. Be prepared to spend a bit on food though, fuckers eat A LOT!!!

Gadzooks
11-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Why's your wife "begging" for a Mastiff? That seems a bit odd.

teedubya
11-29-2010, 12:26 AM

I think it's the same reason that my wife is scared to go over to my friends house...

Duck Dog
11-29-2010, 12:28 AM
I know someone on Minnesota with 4 left.

btlook1
11-29-2010, 12:36 AM
I would do a little research on them before purchasing. Make sure it's what you want and for sure go with a reputable breeder. Ask around and get references before and also ask about a health certificate and any health guarantees. Might cost a little more now but can save you later.
We do a health guarantee on our labs that covers hips/elbows and eyes for 26 months as we are lab breeders. Research beforehand so you don't get to many suprises after getting the puppy. Think about it like this the cost of your puppy will probably be the smallest expense of the dog throughout it's lifetime.

MOhillbilly
11-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Tosa

http://www.10puntos.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Tosa-Inu.jpg

Bwana
11-29-2010, 08:33 AM
I did at one point, about three years ago.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-29-2010, 08:35 AM

Whenever the wife is begging for you to get her the largest dog available it only means one thing !

tooge
11-29-2010, 08:37 AM
invest in a nice drool cup, a huge shovel, and a good brush to clean your shoes. Plan on starting a savings acct for food. I have a huge dog (swiss mountain dog) and they are awesome, but if you want to know what the yard looks like, go to the zoo.

tyton75
11-29-2010, 08:57 AM
My Parents have a Bull Mastiff and that fugger is big enough.. can't imagine an English Mastiff.. that tail will knock everything off of every table!

good dogs though... I prefer Boxers

Garcia Bronco
11-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Anyone on here own one? My wife has been begging for years for a mastiff, and I think we are finally going to get one. Any advice? Training tips, that kinda thing would be greatly appreciated! Y'all have a good night, and Go Chiefs!

don't get a Mastiff. This is one of those decisions you need to talk your wife out of.

munkey
11-29-2010, 09:19 AM
They can be stubborn and somewhat hard to train...Overall a great dog but as previously suggested do some home work and make sure the breed is right for you.

burt
11-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Great dogs. You need to be able to spend time training, tho. Imagine a 150 lb dog with seperation anxiety! It will chew you out of house and home. I would also suggest kennel training. BIG kennel.

They are wonderful and protective of your family. Very smart. a lot of work.

Bane
11-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Whenever the wife is begging for you to get her the largest dog available it only means one thing !

ROFLROFLROFL:evil:

munkey
11-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Imagine a 150 lb dog with seperation anxiety!

ugh...My Mastiff is around 210...Thank God I've never had that problem with him...

kcmaxwell
11-29-2010, 09:53 AM
ugh...My Mastiff is around 210...Thank God I've never had that problem with him...

we work from 7-330 or so, is that too long to leave them alone? And I can deal with slobber, but the snow shovel sounds like good advice. :D Thanks all!!

wilas101
11-29-2010, 09:55 AM
my sister and b.i.l. had a neapolitan mastiff and he was a great dog.

he got into something and got poisoned, almost died, ran a fever for like a week and it sorta fried his brain because he wasn't the same dog after that. he always had a thousand yard stare and became dangerous when people went around and they had to put him down. At his size it was dangerous to keep him alive acting like that.

munkey
11-29-2010, 10:09 AM
we work from 7-330 or so, is that too long to leave them alone? And I can deal with slobber, but the snow shovel sounds like good advice. :D Thanks all!!

I've never had a problem with him...He has his own couch downstairs of which he'll sleep and hang out on most the time while were gone.

I strongly recommend you buy a large kennel to leave him in while he's a puppy because they will do A LOT of damage if you leave them alone...like any puppy.