PDA

View Full Version : Football Josh McDaniels Will Return in 2011, Broncos Owner Says

Stinger
11-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Bowlen, in a telephone interview on Monday night, was asked if coach Josh McDaniels will be fired at any point during this season.

"I am not interested in making a change," Bowlen said.

OK, what about the 2011 season? Will McDaniels be back for it?

"Yes he will," Bowlen said. "I am not interested in making a coaching change."

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/29/josh-mcdaniels-will-return-in-2011-broncos-owner-says/

Zaiko
11-29-2010, 09:20 PM
dreaded? this is awesome.

BillSelfsTrophycase
11-29-2010, 09:22 PM
dreaded? this is awesome.

This, I'm hoping for a lifetime contract

LiL stumppy
11-29-2010, 09:22 PM
lmao this is almost as good as peterson getting fired!

Dave Lane
11-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Are you people idiots? Seriously as soon as the owner says that they will be back, they have 2 weeks till they are fired! JFC

KC Jones
11-29-2010, 09:26 PM
If he's fired Bowlen will be paying 3 head coaches next year. LMAO!

tk13
11-29-2010, 09:27 PM
If he's fired Bowlen will be paying 3 head coaches next year. LMAO!

I think that's the only reason he might not be lying about this.

DaneMcCloud
11-29-2010, 09:28 PM
I hope they don't hire someone competent like Cowher, Gruden or Jim Harbaugh.

THAT would suck.

FloridaMan88
Bowlen is still paying large sums of $$$ for Shanahan.

Having to pay for Shanahan, the remainder of McDaniels contract if he's fired and then for a new coach is quite a chunk of change.

DaFace
They should give him a 5-year extension.

DaneMcCloud
11-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Bowlen is still paying large sums of $$$ for Shanahan.

Having to pay for Shanahan, the remainder of McDaniels contract if he's fired and then for a new coach is quite a chunk of change.

For a billionaire, those sums are minuscule, although the word on the street is that Kroenke, the owner of the Rams wants to swap with St. Louis, thus taking over ownership of Denver. The Rams would then go to the highest bidder and possible move back to Los Angeles.

WebGem
11-29-2010, 09:47 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/29/josh-mcdaniels-will-return-in-2011-broncos-owner-says/
Let's get a few things straight about the Denver Broncos from the only person who has the answers to bubbling Broncos questions: the team's owner, Pat Bowlen.

Bowlen, in a telephone interview on Monday night, was asked if coach Josh McDaniels will be fired at any point during this season.

"I am not interested in making a change," Bowlen said.

OK, what about the 2011 season? Will McDaniels be back for it?

"Yes he will," Bowlen said. "I am not interested in making a coaching change."

So, there you have it. Despite the Broncos' recent taping scandal, their current 3-8 record and McDaniels' 5-16 record in his last 21 games, this is Bowlen's coach. Today, tomorrow, next season.

McDaniels, 34, became the Broncos' coach last season and won his first six games. But the stretch since has been a trying one of alternate prime and poor play. Mostly poor.

Toss in last week's revelations that the Broncos former videographer, Steve Scarnecchia, taped six minutes of the 49ers' walkthrough practice the day before Broncos played the 49ers on Oct. 31 in London, and the swirl of controversy around McDaniels has heightened.

Scarnecchia was fired, McDaniels said he never viewed the tape, and the league fined both McDaniels and the franchise $50,000 apiece.

"I'm very happy with Josh. Josh is doing a good job. I wish he had a few more wins, but we've got five games to go."
- Pat Bowlen Bowlen said: "Josh had nothing to do with that. The former employee did it on his own. There was no direction from the head coach. Josh did not order it. We're absolutely positive this was done by the former employee on his own.

"I'm very happy with Josh. Josh is doing a good job. I wish he had a few more wins, but we've got five games to go. I've got 27 years in this business. The ball bounces funny and it doesn't always bounce your way. We've had bad breaks, injuries. I've been around football long enough to know this happens and it's a part of the game. We've still got a chance to make the playoffs. People have been in a position like ours and it's been done before.''

The Broncos that McDaniels inherited included quarterback Jay Cutler, receiver Brandon Marshall and running back Peyton Hillis. Cutler is with the Bears, Marshall with the Dolphins and Hillis with the Browns. Bowlen knows the Broncos' current struggles are often magnified when considering those players are no longer members of the franchise. But he is not wallowing in regret.

"People get traded,'' Bowlen said. "Sometimes you look back at it as the right move. Sometimes you look back and you're not as happy. It's the nature of the game. I'm not commenting on any one of the particular players we traded. But I know we have bought some people in here who can and will help us."

Bowlen described recent reports that he is in poor health and no longer first-hand running the Broncos as "pure B.S."

"I have no idea where that came from,'' Bowlen, 66, said. "I don't run the triathlons anymore like I used to. I do leg work on machines and do the bike. I'm not as strong as I used to be, but I'm still good.''

And ready to help McDaniels where he can, he said.

"I think what I can do is bring my advice and he can take it or leave it,'' Bowlen said. "I think the coaching staff around him is very important. The head coach is the most important. But the staff is also important. Josh has surrounded himself with good coaches but it may get to a point where some of them have to go. I don't know that yet. Josh is around the football team. He knows."

Bowlen made it clear that if McDaniels doesn't know that, he will make that decision for him. Thus, though Bowlen is certain McDaniels will be retained, he does not offer the same for some of McDaniels' assistants.

"I am confident if he doesn't have the right people around him, that he should change coaches,'' Bowlen said. "It is something I have always left up to my coach. But I always reserve the right to make that change. I have done it on an isolated basis. It rarely happens. He picks the coaches. But, absolutely, I have the right to make those changes."

WebGem
11-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Yay!

thecoffeeguy
11-29-2010, 09:49 PM
awesome!

Frazod
11-29-2010, 09:49 PM
:rockon:

Jive Ass
11-29-2010, 09:51 PM
"I'm very happy with Josh. Josh is doing a good job. I wish he had a few more wins, but we've got five games to go."

K...I guess his productivity makes him worth it...or not.

Nightfyre
11-29-2010, 09:51 PM
The Bronco's are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I'm pretty sure.

Rain Man
11-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Woohoo!

FD
11-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Thank the Lord (Tebow)!

JD10367
11-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Great news. Now if only you can be assured that Al Davis lives another year and Norv Turner keeps his job, you guys will be the luckiest fans in the AFC...

Jenson71
11-29-2010, 10:01 PM
It's peanut butter jelly time.

GoHuge
11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
:hump:PBJ:hump:

POND_OF_RED
11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Any coach who records a walkthrough and still loses really should be fired on the spot. Bowlen's out of his mind. I like it.

Useful Idiot
11-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Are you people idiots? Seriously as soon as the owner says that they will be back, they have 2 weeks till they are fired! JFC

Gary Kubiak?

Chiefs Rool
11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
CHEERS!

wazu
11-29-2010, 10:25 PM
You people just don't get it. In the NFL this statement is code for "I will fire him five minutes after the Week 17 game is over."

LaChapelle
11-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Hopefully Joshie video taped Bowlen in some pre-game snaps
wink wink nudge nudge

ClevelandBronco
11-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Fortunately for Broncos fans, by tomorrow morning Bowlen won't remember that this phone call happened.

RippedmyFlesh
11-30-2010, 01:21 AM
For a billionaire, those sums are minuscule, although the word on the street is that Kroenke, the owner of the Rams wants to swap with St. Louis, thus taking over ownership of Denver. The Rams would then go to the highest bidder and possible move back to Los Angeles.

I like Bowlen in denver he's getting Al Davis like in his latter years.

Pushead2
11-30-2010, 01:24 AM
I wish they would take Rich Rod off of Michigan's hands as O-Coordinator. Then the cycle would be complete.

Mojo Jojo
11-30-2010, 02:21 AM
You people just don't get it. In the NFL this statement is code for "I will fire him five minutes after the Week 17 game is over."
We have a winner!!! Do the rest of you even follow sports? Owner gives vote of confidence to coach...coach soon to be fired. FYI...Broncos aren't paying much if anything for the rat. Redskins contract negates settlement...NFL rules. Broncos would only owe the difference if he was making more in Denver than DC.

BigRock
11-30-2010, 02:42 AM
We have a winner!!! Do the rest of you even follow sports? Owner gives vote of confidence to coach...coach soon to be fired.

Bowlen actually amended his comments:

This has been a very trying and disappointing season for all of us. We haven't had the success we had hoped to achieve. Josh McDaniels is the head coach of the Broncos ... and you always strive for stability at that position. However, with five games left in the 2010 season we will continue to monitor the progress of the team and evaluate what's in the best interest of this franchise.

That's not a vote of confidence at all. So by the reverse-mojo theory, Josh WILL will be back.

Saccopoo
11-30-2010, 02:46 AM

THAT would suck.

The Denver sports radio lines are filled with Gruden please calls.

Apparently, there was a mind meld of Gruden and Tebow at the Draft and there is some serious interest...

Mojo Jojo
11-30-2010, 03:01 AM
Bowlen actually amended his comments:

That's not a vote of confidence at all. So by the reverse-mojo theory, Josh WILL will be back.

I see that as a recruiting tool statement for the next head coach. Now "unofficial" team sources will start making contact with available candidates to gauge interest in the "possible" opening. Dan Snyder is the king of this. Most colleges do it, MLB and NBA tams do it. Never make a move unless you have a couple of options ready to go.

jd1020
11-30-2010, 04:20 AM
Right now I have to believe him. He'd be paying 2 people that have nothing to do with his team. However if Gruden will accept the job you have to believe that McDaniels was fired yesterday. I don't think Cowher would take the job. He's already turned down other jobs in the AFC because he apparently doesnt want to coach against the Steelers.

Mile High Mania
11-30-2010, 05:31 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16738529

"This has been a very trying and disappointing season for all of us," Bowlen said in his statement. "We haven't had the success we had hoped to achieve. Josh McDaniels is the head coach of the Broncos, and you always strive for stability at that position. However, with five games left in the 2010 season, we will continue to monitor the progress of the team and evaluate what's in the best interest of this franchise."

Mile High Mania
11-30-2010, 05:44 AM
Bottom line - I don't think his job is safe at all. Bowlen is a smart guy and he realizes that unless he's going to fire him now, say something generic. Obviously, he doesn't want to pay 3 coaches, but in the grand scheme of things ... it's not that much $ for a billionaire - what are we talking about $10-12M in 2011 potentially for 3 coaches?

McDaniels is a dead man walking...

Bill Lundberg
11-30-2010, 06:27 AM
So much for that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/30/broncos-issue-statement-contradicting-bowlens-comments-on-mcdaniels-future/

Broncos issue statement contradicting Bowlen’s comments on McDaniels’ future

Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2010, 5:38 AM EST

As soon as we read Thomas George’s article containing comments from Broncos owner Pat Bowlen indicating that coach Josh McDaniels will be back in 2011, we had a pretty good idea that the commitment eventually would be proven to be meaningless.

We had no idea it would happen so soon.

The Broncos issued a statement on Monday night contradicting Bowlen’s comments.

“This has been a very trying and disappointing season for all of us,” Bowlen said in a written statement, according to TheDenverChannel.com. “We haven’t had the success we had hoped to achieve. Josh McDaniels is the head coach of the Broncos, and you always strive for stability at that position. However, with five games left in the 2010 season, we will continue to monitor the progress of the team and evaluate what’s in the best interest of this franchise.”

The statement didn’t address George’s FanHouse.com article, or Bowlen’s comments appearing in it.

At best, Bowlen’s remarks to George were a trial balloon, and the team quickly realized that it was made of lead. At worst, the conflicting comments will cause those who believe that Bowlen is having health issues that affect his memory and/or communication skills to feel even more strongly about those suspicions. (Bowlen strongly denied in his remarks to George that he’s suffering from any health issues that would impact the owner’s ability to run the team.)

Either way, the message is clear — McDaniels’ vote of confidence had a shelf-life of a couple of hours.

Mile High Mania
11-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Side note ... I have read a few things that hint towards Bowlen possibly being in early stages of Alzheimers. I really hope that's not the case, I watched my grandmother quickly lose it all because of that... it's incredibly sad and tough to witness. Pat is just shy of 70... so, it's a possibility.

AndChiefs
11-30-2010, 07:01 AM
Side note ... I have read a few things that hint towards Bowlen possibly being in early stages of Alzheimers. I really hope that's not the case, I watched my grandmother quickly lose it all because of that... it's incredibly sad and tough to witness. Pat is just shy of 70... so, it's a possibility.

Yeah my grandmother has it. It's a terrible thing.

Kerberos
11-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Either way, the message is clear — McDaniels’ vote of confidence had a shelf-life of a couple of hours.

Well this blows dogs for quarters. I was hoping that McDumbass would be back.

:doh!:

Bane
11-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Please keep MCCamera for 25 years McBowlen...PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Mojo Jojo
11-30-2010, 07:27 AM

I believe this could be true. The Rams have already been traded for another team (Baltimore Colts)...the NFL wants a team in LA...Kroenke Knows what he is doing as an owner of teams...and if Bowlen hasn't set up a succession plan his family is screwed...it's happening in Jacksonville and Buffalo, and already happened in Miami and St. Louis. If the Rams move back to LA look for the Jags to move to St. Louis.

ReynardMuldrake
11-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Just hire 2 or 3 more head coaches, just to be sure. Everything will be just fine.

Graystoke
11-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Crap... McDaniels is so good for the Chiefs we outta pay his salary. Anyone want to start a fund?

TEX
11-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Bowlen has some mental health issues. In fact the Broncos limit his interaction with the media. Take all this with a grain of salt. Just because he says something now, does not mean he will feel the same after the season.

Lurk
11-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Do us a favor, KC, completely destroy us this weekend. :evil:

Extra Point
11-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Do us a favor, KC, completely destroy us this weekend. :evil:

Just had to rep this guy.:spock:

Jerry Jones and the Bowlen must have the same mindset.

BigMeatballDave
11-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Side note ... I have read a few things that hint towards Bowlen possibly being in early stages of Alzheimers. I really hope that's not the case, I watched my grandmother quickly lose it all because of that... it's incredibly sad and tough to witness. Pat is just shy of 70... so, it's a possibility.Are you OK, dude? Should we place you on suicide watch? :)

1ChiefsDan
11-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Bottom line - I don't think his job is safe at all. Bowlen is a smart guy and he realizes that unless he's going to fire him now, say something generic. Obviously, he doesn't want to pay 3 coaches, but in the grand scheme of things ... it's not that much $ for a billionaire - what are we talking about $10-12M in 2011 potentially for 3 coaches?

McDaniels is a dead man walking...What I heard on the radio this morning is $7 1/2M for mcdouche and the rat next year. Add whatever he would have to pay a 3rd coach on top of that. While a lot of the fans and media out here want mcdouche fired, not many expect it. Most seem to feel that Bowlen is too cheap to pay 2 coaches not to coach his team.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Excellent news. Keep that idiot Xanders too.

Frosty
11-30-2010, 09:40 AM

THAT would suck.

I'm hoping that someone hires Harbaugh, preferably the 49ers. **** Stanford.

Mile High Mania
11-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Are you OK, dude? Should we place you on suicide watch? :)

Not sure how you read that into the commentary...

LaChapelle
11-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Josh was just the stupid young slut
between the 1st wife and wife #2

Mile High Mania
11-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Josh was just the stupid young slut
between the 1st wife and wife #2

:LOL:

:doh!:

vailpass
11-30-2010, 12:00 PM
We'll see.

Quesadilla Joe
11-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Josh McDaniels will make Pat Bowlen a shit ton of money after he is done working with Tebow and the AFC West will be ours for a decade.

Mile High Mania
11-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Josh McDaniels will make Pat Bowlen a shit ton of money after he is done working with Tebow and the AFC West will be ours for a decade.

Well, the sad thing for you is that you won't be around to say I was wrong...

big nasty kcnut
11-30-2010, 12:23 PM

So i always wonder what the view from inside your ass look like now i know.

ClevelandBronco
11-30-2010, 12:31 PM

Okay. If it hasn't been clear before that this guy is a Chiefs fan performing a service for you guys, I don't know what else it can take to reveal the truth.

HemiEd
11-30-2010, 01:07 PM

Yeah, that is bothersome. We can only hope this is the exception.

Bolen, please don't hire someone that knows what they are doing.

They did say on the Sirius NFL Channel, that they knew he didn't want to be paying three contracts. **edit** should have read the rest of the thread.

ForeverChiefs58
11-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Josh McDaniels has another ghost

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 30, 2010, 10:05 AM EST
Troubling statements continue to come out of the Broncos organization about Josh McDaniels.

When owner Pat Bowlen isn’t vacillating about McD’s future, co-workers of the beleaguered head coach talk out of turn about him through the media. Someone within the organization spoke to Michael Silver of Yahoo! about the root of McDaniels’ problems.

“If he treated people right, everybody’d just keep their mouths shut. But when you treat people like a piece of [expletive], this is what happens,” the source said.

McDaniels said he wasn’t going to chase ghosts when asked if he’d find out who leaked information to FOX’s Jay Glazer about his coach’s meeting. But McDaniels knows that the sniping he’s taking from within his increasingly toxic building is doing damage.

Bowlen mentioned in his remarks to Fanhouse.com that McDaniels has the right to clean house on his staff after the season. First, the coach has to make it through the next five weeks with minimal drama.

If the ghosts continue to out-number the wins, it will be harder for Bowlen to keep McDaniels around.

ROFLROFL

Bane
11-30-2010, 01:39 PM
McDipshit to Dungver is still KC's best offseason move EVAR!!!!!!!1111111
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
11-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Not sure how you read that into the commentary...Actually, the 'Suicide watch' thought entered my mind when I read the OP. I just responded to the 1st post of yours I saw.

BigMeatballDave
11-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Now we know the jubilation Denver fans felt when Herm was here.

At least Herm could draft better.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-30-2010, 05:14 PM

ROFL This is why KnowMo rules.

BigMeatballDave
11-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Josh McDaniels will make Pat Bowlen a shit ton of money after he is done working with Tebow and the AFC West will be ours for a decade.LMAO Awesome sauce!

kstater
12-06-2010, 05:37 PM

Pat Bowlen disagrees.

DBOSHO
12-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Pat Bowlen disagrees.

SICK FUCKING BURN

Mile High Mania
12-06-2010, 05:44 PM

:LOL::thumb:ROFLLMAO