PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Matt Cassel is trying to be Drew Brees, not Tom Brady

KCrockaholic
11-30-2010, 11:07 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/chiefs/2010-11-30-matt-cassel_N.htm

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
Matt Cassel has numbers like Tom Brady, but his coach says his real comparison should be to Drew Brees.

Cassel, the Kansas City Chiefs quarterback, has thrown 22 touchdowns and four interceptions this season — just one fewer touchdown and the same number of picks as Brady, his former New England Patriots teammate.

He fired four touchdowns in Kansas City's 42-24 blowout of Seattle on Sunday, posting a season-best 129.3 passer rating. Over the past nine games, Brady and Cassel have the league's highest passer ratings, according to STATS, LLC.

Brady has a 108.2 rating with 18 touchdowns and two interceptions the last nine games, while Cassel has a 107.7 rating with 21 touchdowns and two interceptions.

POWER RANKINGS: Chiefs climbing as they cling to AFC West

Yet the quarterback Cassel is emulating most isn't Brady. It's Brees, the New Orleans Saints signal-caller.

Chiefs coach Todd Haley had a Week 2 epiphany, creating a color-coded, key-read grading system during practices that fast-tracked Cassel's improvement. He now emulates Brees as a quick-drop, blitz-beating passer.

All the grinding Cassel has done honing his footwork and field vision on days off, before and after practice is paying off for the 7-4 Chiefs, who lead the AFC West by a game over San Diego.

He's thriving off play-action provided by a top-ranked rushing attack featuring Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones.

But Cassel's made his biggest strides by taking quicker ones away from center, shedding his habit of staring down the middle the duration of his drop backs.

"He's growing up before our eyes," Haley said of his quarterback. "The easy thing is to look at Matt and say, 'Well, let's try and make him like Tom Brady.'

"But his foot speed and athleticism is so much better. Drawing the parallel to Drew has been a huge key because of Matt's foot speed.

"I've charted Drew. He gets back faster and deeper than anybody in the league."

Brees shredded Seattle's blitz in a 34-19 win the week before Cassel followed suit.

"Drew pushes himself so far away from the line of scrimmage so quick that the pressure just can't get to him," Haley said.

"Matt did some real similar things. The Seahawks brought some pressure. He kept his cool and made real good decisions."

A combined 241 yards rushing by Charles and Jones against Seattle — 173 and a touchdown by Charles — opened the passing lanes that triggered Dwayne Bowe's 13-catch, 170-yard, three-touchdown explosion.

"The sky's the limit for Matt Cassel," says former Patriots receiver and current New England Comcast SportsNet analyst Troy Brown. "He always had the skills. They just had to be sharpened."

If it's a repost, Cassel doesn't suck.

philfree
12-01-2010, 12:02 AM

I don't know if it's a repost but thanks.

PhilFree:arrow:

tk13
12-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Len Dawson was talking about this on the radio the other day, said Cassel was doing a much better job of getting deep in his drops and also doing it quickly.

BossChief
12-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Just think how good he would be on those drops if we had just taken Russel Fucking Okung!!! /youknowwho

KCrockaholic
12-01-2010, 12:16 AM
There was a turning point for Cassel in that Denver game. I don't know if anybody noticed...But it happened somewhere in the 3rd quarter. It's been magical ever since.

philfree
12-01-2010, 12:22 AM
There was a turning point for Cassel in that Denver game. I don't know if anybody noticed...But it happened somewhere in the 3rd quarter. It's been magical ever since.

You missed my post about that......most people did so it's no thing.

Getting so far behind in a game where we had to sling the ball was a great thing. It gave the Cassel and the coaching staff confidence and the playbook is now opened.

BigRock
12-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Everyone's quick to credit Weis, and for good reason, but this is the 4th or 5th article that has specifically talked about Haley and the work he's done with Cassel.

KCrockaholic
12-01-2010, 12:26 AM

Getting so far behind in a game where we had to sling the ball was a great thing. It gave the Cassel and the coaching staff confidence and the playbook is now opened.

Nice. I'm glad someone else caught that. That Denver ass beating could be a blessing in disguise if he can continue this type of play.

HotRoute
12-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Compare cassel to whoever you want but people around here will realize he is an elite QB when other guys are being compared to him

kcxiv
12-01-2010, 03:45 AM
i download podcasts from one of them KC sports radio channels and there was a interview with Holthus and he was talking about Cassel studying film of Brees as well. Its all about getting back in the pocket as fast as possible and setting your feet. Whatever it is, keep it up Matty.

MoreLemonPledge
12-01-2010, 04:24 AM
He just needs a face birthmark and the transformation will be complete.

the Talking Can
12-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Chiefs coach Todd Haley had a Week 2 epiphany, creating a color-coded, key-read grading system during practices that fast-tracked Cassel's improvement. He now emulates Brees as a quick-drop, blitz-beating passer.

hello, KC media?? anyone want to follow up on this interesting fact...the kind of interesting fact you're too lazy to ever find?

ReynardMuldrake
12-01-2010, 07:50 AM

It took a bad loss in Indy to turn Bowe into a great receiver. Maybe the same thing just happened with Cassel.

I'm still in disbelief at how well they've both been playing lately.

ReynardMuldrake
12-01-2010, 07:53 AM
hello, KC media?? anyone want to follow up on this interesting fact...the kind of interesting fact you're too lazy to ever find?

I would be really curious to see how that works. I hadn't heard of it before.

headsnap
12-01-2010, 07:57 AM

I thought the same thing while watching the Dungver game... it was really a blessing in disguise, gave Matt and the receivers confidence.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-01-2010, 08:03 AM
All the grinding Cassel has done honing his footwork and field vision on days off, before and after practice is paying off for the 7-4 Chiefs, who lead the AFC West by a game over San Diego.

He's thriving off play-action provided by a top-ranked rushing attack featuring Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones.

But Cassel's made his biggest strides by taking quicker ones away from center, shedding his habit of staring down the middle the duration of his drop backs.

We can argue all day here about the progress he's made, but I'm glad we've got a guy willing to do whatever it takes to put in the effort to become an elite passer. He may not get there, but the effort he's put in is refreshing in today's game where alot of more "talented" guys have absolutely failed at the position.

Oh, and we can put to rest the silly notion that pocket presence cannot be improved at his age.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Everyone's quick to credit Weis, and for good reason, but this is the 4th or 5th article that has specifically talked about Haley and the work he's done with Cassel.

Of course, without Weis, Haley probably doesn't have the time to focus on these type of things. He would still be caught up in getting the gameplan together as a whole.

TheGuardian
12-01-2010, 08:14 AM

We can argue all day here about the progress he's made, but I'm glad we've got a guy willing to do whatever it takes to put in the effort to become an elite passer. He may not get there, but the effort he's put in is refreshing in today's game where alot of more "talented" guys have absolutely failed at the position.

Oh, and we can put to rest the silly notion that pocket presence cannot be improved at his age.

This was said by idiots like OTWP58 and Mecca, etc. Nothing they write should ever be taken seriously. They don't know shit.

Extra Point
12-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Gannon and the other announcer were talking about (slobbering over) the Brees-Cassel footwork similarity during the Chiefs' last game.

Dave Lane
12-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Yes he does. I read it right here. OTWP and scads of others here told me so.

TheGuardian
12-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Yes he does. I read it right here. OTWP and scads of others here told me so.

OTWP58 and GoChiefs have already sacrificed their first born sons (well OTWP58 sacrificed his cats first litter since he's not old enough for his balls to have dropped yet) to the devil to make sure that Matt Cassel sucks and that the Chiefs are forced to draft a QB that sucks as well. So they can keep bitching.

tonyetony
12-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Good lord do I want our O-line to get heathy and our pass rush to elevate for the stretch run. This year could be more fun than it already has been.

Chief Henry
12-01-2010, 08:34 AM

If the writer of the story is correct with his information, then yes, I too am very happy, more appreciative than anything that Cassel is willing to do whats required to become an elite NFL QB. I'm guessing that Bowe is also
doing much more than whats required.

Preperation and hard word always comes before success. These next two
games are HUGE.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-01-2010, 08:38 AM
If the writer of the story is correct with his information, then yes, I too am very happy, more appreciative than anything that Cassel is willing to do whats required to become an elite NFL QB. I'm guessing that Bowe is also
doing much more than whats required.

Preperation and hard word always comes before success. These next two
games are HUGE.

Yes, Bowe deserves props for putting in the time needed to emerge as a dangerous reciever as well. I didn't think he had this level of play in him. He's having one of the greatest stretches in history by a wide reciever :eek:

Lex Luthor
12-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Todd Haley should be coach of the year just for the way he has turned around the careers of Bowe and Cassel.

If he could work that magic on Tyson Jackson, he'd be a genius.

salame
12-01-2010, 08:58 AM
I really really hope he keeps playing at this level. I was excited when we got him but I'm more excited after the past few weeks than I was even in the beginning

movinbones
12-01-2010, 08:58 AM

I agree... it forced Haley, Weis, and most importantly Cassel out of the comfort zone!!!

JD10367
12-01-2010, 11:40 AM
One of Cassel's big faults was hanging onto the ball too long and then getting into trouble. So they told him to get rid of it quicker. No shit. Is that brain surgery? What QB isn't more effective if they can get rid of the ball quicker? Your O-line doesn't have to hold their blocks as long (which is good, especially when your O-line has taken two years of ass-reaming from the fans).

But football is the whole package. You need receivers to be getting open and catching that quicker-thrown ball, and Bowe is now hanging onto the ball and kicking ass. Charles and Jones are also kicking ass, putting the fear of KC's running game into every defense. Combine those with Cassel getting rid of the ball quicker and making better decisions, and things look a whole lot better.

The nice thing for Chiefs fans--hell, for every teams' fans this season--is that there's no juggernaut. Every team looks beatable. Even the best teams have exploitable flaws. New England? Defense. Jets? Sanchez. Colts? Everyone but Manning. Steelers? Ravens? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? So with Cassel playing smarter and quicker, and Bowe and Charles and Jones killing teams, the Chiefs' D (much like the Patriots' D) only needs to keep them in the game. There's absolutely no reason any team that makes the playoffs this season can't feel like they can win the whole thing.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-01-2010, 11:43 AM
One of Cassel's big faults was hanging onto the ball too long and then getting into trouble. So they told him to get rid of it quicker. No shit. Is that brain surgery? What QB isn't more effective if they can get rid of the ball quicker? Your O-line doesn't have to hold their blocks as long (which is good, especially when your O-line has taken two years of ass-reaming from the fans).

But football is the whole package. You need receivers to be getting open and catching that quicker-thrown ball, and Bowe is now hanging onto the ball and kicking ass. Charles and Jones are also kicking ass, putting the fear of KC's running game into every defense. Combine those with Cassel getting rid of the ball quicker and making better decisions, and things look a whole lot better.

The nice thing for Chiefs fans--hell, for every teams' fans this season--is that there's no juggernaut. Every team looks beatable. Even the best teams have exploitable flaws. New England? Defense. Jets? Sanchez. Colts? Everyone but Manning. Steelers? Ravens? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? So with Cassel playing smarter and quicker, and Bowe and Charles and Jones killing teams, the Chiefs' D (much like the Patriots' D) only needs to keep them in the game. There's absolutely no reason any team that makes the playoffs this season can't feel like they can win the whole thing.

There were people here saying he couldn't improve on that and he'd always take a bunch of sacks because that wasn't something you could "fix". So, yeah I guess they did perform brain surgery on him ;)

beach tribe
12-01-2010, 11:56 AM
There were people here saying he couldn't improve on that and he'd always take a bunch of sacks because that wasn't something you could "fix". So, yeah I guess they did perform brain surgery on him ;)

All these stupid, you CAN'T do this you DO NOT draft that. When a player has done X he can't do Z bull shit that they spit is just laughable when you take into consideration that teams, and players hit their strides, surprise people, and do the improbable every year, and you still have the same idiots year after year, spouting off like anyone who disagrees with their stupid ass rules of building a team must be adhered to or the guy making millions of dollars to do it, is an idiot.

JD10367
12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
All these stupid, you CAN'T do this you DO NOT draft that. When a player has done X he can't do Z bull shit that they spit is just laughable when you take into consideration that teams, and players hit their strides, surprise people, and do the improbable every year, and you still have the same idiots year after year, spouting off like anyone who disagrees with their stupid ass rules of building a team must be adhered to or the guy making millions of dollars to do it, is an idiot.

Wut?

KCrockaholic
12-01-2010, 12:06 PM

You can't teach accuracy or arm strength. I've read it here.

beach tribe
12-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Wut?

It's going to be 20 deg. in RI Saturday night that's Wut.

Dress warm, and don't forget your sock.

HemiEd
12-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Well I am not "throwing all in" with Matt Cassel yet, but if he continues to play like he did the last two games, I will be walking around with a big grin on my face.

Not much with the Chiefs would make me happier, than for Cassel to end up being the guy they need.

I have been one of his biggest haters, and was pretty pissed this team drafted in the top 5, 3 consecutive years, without taking a QB.

I was convinced they had blown two years.

Like many others, hoping like hell he would all of a sudden "get it." Hopefully he has.

KCrockaholic
12-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Well I am not "throwing all in" with Matt Cassel yet, but if he continues to play like he did the last two games, I will be walking around with a big grin on my face.

Not much with the Chiefs would make me happier, than for Cassel to end up being the guy they need.

I have been one of his biggest haters, and was pretty pissed this team drafted in the top 5, 3 consecutive years, without taking a QB.

Like many others, hoping like hell he would all of a sudden "get it." Hopefully he has.

He's always had the leadership ability. I mean that's all I've heard about, is how he's the first guy in the build during offseason and last guy out, and working with his teammates everyday.

He just needed to get the mental aspect of quarterbacking down. If he continues like this, we could have a great player on our hands.

JD10367
12-01-2010, 12:27 PM
It's going to be 20 deg. in RI Saturday night that's Wut.

Dress warm, and don't forget your sock.

http://f00.inventorspot.com/images/ballwarmer.img_assist_custom.jpg

CoMoChief
12-01-2010, 12:29 PM

Coordinators don't talk with media usually.......Haley does.

beach tribe
12-01-2010, 12:30 PM
http://f00.inventorspot.com/images/ballwarmer.img_assist_custom.jpg

ROFLROFL
:bravo:

stevieray
12-01-2010, 12:32 PM

let's be honest..like most honing their craft, it's obvious he's been putting in the time and hard work..that's usually how it works. very, very few are born with complete natural abilites in any field, and even then, they need to work at it.

I think to say he never had the skillset, or has a ceiling is preposterous at this point. We saw flashes of this against Denver last year.

dude has the tools, he just needed the time and guidance.

HemiEd
12-01-2010, 12:34 PM
He's always had the leadership ability. I mean that's all I've heard about, is how he's the first guy in the build during offseason and last guy out, and working with his teammates everyday.

He just needed to get the mental aspect of quarterbacking down. If he continues like this, we could have a great player on our hands.

Yeah, wouldn't that be great!?!

I understand all of those skills and attributes, and the fact that he is a tough son of a gun.

But damn, he just didn't show the pocket presence, accuracy and ability to go to the second read, as late as three weeks ago.

I doubted he would ever overcome that, let alone after one live practice game with Denver.

Good thing I am just a fan, he would have been kicked to the curb half way through last season. :D

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-01-2010, 12:35 PM

I'm finding it odd when ESPN and CBS are both mentioning Matt Cassel and MVP in the same article and it not being "will never qualify for . . . "

That's a very nice but surreal feeling to it.

beach tribe
12-01-2010, 12:41 PM

I understand all of those skills and attributes, and the fact that he is a tough son of a gun.

But damn, he just didn't show the pocket presence, accuracy and ability to go to the second read, as late as three weeks ago.

I doubted he would ever overcome that, let alone after one live practice game with Denver.

Good thing I am just a fan, he would have been kicked to the curb half way through last season. :D

I know right. That's what I try to get at. None of us can see the future, it's impossible to really know what a player is truly capable of, but some are arrogant enough to act as if they can do just that.
What we can see is that the guy has a Manning like work ethic, and it's starting to turn into results. Cassel knows this offense in, and out. We can't just credit Weis either, Cassel has been waiting for the defense to set, and calling damn near half the plays on the field.
Damn, I hope this isn't a mirage,

philfree
12-01-2010, 12:42 PM
let's be honest..like most honing their craft, it's obvious he's been putting in the time and hard work..that's usually how it works. very, very few are born with complete natural abilites in any field, and even then, they need to work at it.

I think to say he never had the skillset, or has a ceiling is preposterous at this point. We saw flashes of this against Denver last year.

We saw flashes when he played in NE too. It seems that he is in the window of the number starts where QBs start to excel or stay the same. He's starting to excel it appears.

Hydrae
12-01-2010, 12:44 PM

As few a two weeks ago I was telling my mom (a Pats fan who loves Cassell) that it is his actions in the pocket that worry me. The slightest pressure and he would get happy feet and thus not throw a very good ball.

This last game against Seattle (big thanks for Grandlama for allowing out of towners like me to see the games!!!!), he looked much better. Almost comfortable in the pocket, stepping up in front of the rush to complete passes, and finally looking like an NFL QB.

Frankie
12-01-2010, 12:46 PM
He just needs a face birthmark and the transformation will be complete.

And to get shorter.

KCrockaholic
12-01-2010, 12:49 PM
And to get shorter.

A tall Drew Brees would be the prototype QB IMO.

Frankie
12-01-2010, 12:51 PM

It took a bad loss in Indy to turn Bowe into a great receiver. Maybe the same thing just happened with Cassel.

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

But really, if we could trace these transformations to two games that we lost I gladly accept those losses and discard their pain. It would be more than a fair trade if we have actually ended up with long term solutions for our QB and WR problems.

HemiEd
12-01-2010, 01:54 PM

It sure appears that way Stevie, like others on here, I hope it is not just a mirage.

I'm finding it odd when ESPN and CBS are both mentioning Matt Cassel and MVP in the same article and it not being "will never qualify for . . . "

That's a very nice but surreal feeling to it.Did they really use those two thoughts together? Matt Cassel and MVP? OMG!

Sell HIGH Scott, Sell HIGH! (oops, there I go again, not believing)

I know right. That's what I try to get at. None of us can see the future, it's impossible to really know what a player is truly capable of, but some are arrogant enough to act as if they can do just that.
What we can see is that the guy has a Manning like work ethic, and it's starting to turn into results. Cassel knows this offense in, and out. We can't just credit Weis either, Cassel has been waiting for the defense to set, and calling damn near half the plays on the field.
Damn, I hope this isn't a mirage,
Yeah, for the first time I have seen him, he resembled being "in control" last Sunday.

As few a two weeks ago I was telling my mom (a Pats fan who loves Cassell) that it is his actions in the pocket that worry me. The slightest pressure and he would get happy feet and thus not throw a very good ball.

This last game against Seattle (big thanks for Grandlama for allowing out of towners like me to see the games!!!!), he looked much better. Almost comfortable in the pocket, stepping up in front of the rush to complete passes, and finally looking like an NFL QB.
The difference from last Sunday, and two weeks before was huge. I am trying to be careful though, this is the Chiefs.
Two many times, they have got me excited, only to drive a stake through my forehead.

Frankie
12-01-2010, 02:00 PM

It looked as if he didn't trust his O-line and receivers as much as the fans and the coaches didn't trust him. That I believe had an adverse effect on his performance.

Frankie
12-01-2010, 02:03 PM

Yep. Will that be Cassel? I know that's a lot to ask, but who knows.

FAX
12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Pollyanna has a migraine.

People can compare Cassel to Abe Lincoln if they wish, I suppose. But, honestly, we've seen 2.5 games of good to excellent play out of the guy. Trend? I'm not certain it is and I don't think anybody else knows either.

I mean, a quarterback can keep interceptions down through a combination of throwaways and a little luck. The same is true with sacks. As far as touchdowns are concerned, Moeaki and Bowe have been money on the receiving end (with a few obvious exceptions) and that makes a difference ... a big difference.

I just can't get the image of 8 yard passes smack dab in the dirt and those crazy moon rocket deals that are still in orbit somewhere. And then there's the ol' free safety stare-down technique where the ball gets flung into triple coverage.

Let's see what happens against the goats. If Cassel performs at a high level against those cheating bastards, I'll start believing that he really can be what Pioli and Haley want him to be.

FAX

HC_Chief
12-01-2010, 02:51 PM

People can compare Cassel to Abe Lincoln if they wish, I suppose. But, honestly, we've seen 2.5 games of good to excellent play out of the guy. Trend? I'm not certain it is and I don't think anybody else knows either.

I mean, a quarterback can keep interceptions down through a combination of throwaways and a little luck. The same is true with sacks. As far as touchdowns are concerned, Moeaki and Bowe have been money on the receiving end (with a few obvious exceptions) and that makes a difference ... a big difference.

I just can't get the image of 8 yard passes smack dab in the dirt and those crazy moon rocket deals that are still in orbit somewhere. And then there's the ol' free safety stare-down technique where the ball gets flung into triple coverage.

Let's see what happens against the goats. If Cassel performs at a high level against those cheating bastards, I'll start believing that he really can be what Pioli and Haley want him to be.

FAX

Great post; I agree :thumb:

I would also like to add that both Cassel and Bowe have done a FANTASTIC job recently. Just a couple of more games and I'll be convinced.

Skyy God
12-01-2010, 02:57 PM

FAX

I know stats are for sheeple, but since week 3, Cassel has the 2nd highest QB rating. 9 games is a trend, not a blip.*

That said, it's entirely possible he could regress ala Derek Anderson. I tend to doubt it, though, as Horseball's only completed 56% of his passes and had 19 INTs in his "good" season.

stevieray
12-01-2010, 03:00 PM

FAX

so you write a new tune, in a difficult arrangement..and practice and practice and practice ( we're talkinbout practice, man), and you finally get it down..do you regress or play the song better from that point forward? (feel free to miss a couple of wide open notes, or have your rythym section drop the ball on the bridge every once in awhile...cause you know, doodoo happens)

KCrockaholic
12-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I know stats are for sheeple, but since week 3, Cassel has the 2nd highest QB rating. 9 games is a trend, not a blip.*

That said, it's entirely possible he could regress ala Derek Anderson. I tend to doubt it, though, as Horseball's only completed 56% of his passes and had 19 INTs in his "good" season.

Derek Anderson has never been good. His whole career has been a joke. Cassel is anything but as bad as Derek Anderson.

FAX
12-01-2010, 03:13 PM
so you write a new tune, in a difficult arrangement..and practice and practice and practice ( we're talkinbout practice, man), and you finally get it down..do you regress or play the song better from that point forward? (feel free to miss a couple of wide open notes, or have your rythym section drop the ball on the bridge every once in awhile...cause you know, doodoo happens)

It's a pretty good comparison, Mr. stevieray. In music (as in art and football) practice makes perfect ... no question.

But there are differences, though. For one, unless he's playing a roadhouse in West Texas, a guitarist doesn't normally have some ugly, fat bastard trying to knock his instrument out of his hands. Plus, you aren't depending on the guy in the endzone to pluck your E string at just the right moment.

I see your point, though, and it's a good one.

Cassel started affecting my opinion of him in the Bills game (I think that was the one) when he jumped into a pile to help his halfback (Battle?) who was getting twisted into a paper clip after the whistle. I liked that. A lot.

It seems like we're left with this; Cassel is either getting better due to hard work (and practice, as you say) or we've seen some kind of bizarre aberration in which the stars aligned, we faced guys who couldn't defend a breakfast waffle (or the goats' dreaded prevent D), and Cassel looked good in spite of some bad habits.

I shall defer until the second half.

FAX

stevieray
12-01-2010, 03:17 PM
It's a pretty good comparison, Mr. stevieray. In music (as in art and football) practice makes perfect ... no question.

But there are differences, though. For one, unless he's playing a roadhouse in West Texas, a guitarist doesn't normally have some ugly, fat bastard trying to knock his instrument out of his hands. Plus, you aren't depending on the guy in the endzone to pluck your E string at just the right moment.

I see your point, though, and it's a good one.

Cassel started affecting my opinion of him in the Bills game (I think that was the one) when he jumped into a pile to help his halfback (Battle?) who was getting twisted into a paper clip after the whistle. I liked that. A lot.

It seems like we're left with this; Cassel is either getting better due to hard work (and practice, as you say) or we've seen some kind of bizarre aberration in which the stars aligned, we faced guys who couldn't defend a breakfast waffle (or the goats' dreaded prevent D), and Cassel looked good in spite of some bad habits.

I shall defer until the second half.

FAX

I'll be honest...the battle play, (no pun intended) the block on Sunday, and the exchange with Haley show why I think it's legit...he's got a fire in his belly...and even more candid..I didn't see it in him early on....but damn if it doesn't get me pumped of what could be...

TheGuardian
12-01-2010, 04:12 PM

I'll keep asking this question......

Did the guy throw 22 TD's and 4 picks in 2.5 games?

It's like people are ignoring the fact that he's putting together a pro bowl season. That doesn't happen in 2.5 games for the love of God.

Hammock Parties
12-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Derek Anderson went to the Pro Bowl.

So did Chris Miller, Mark Rypien, Neil O'Donnell, Bobby Hebert, Jeff Hostetler, Jim Harbaugh, Jeff Blake, Gus Frerrote, Trent Dilfer, Brian Griese, Jake Delhomme, STEVE BONO AND ELVIS GRBAC.

philfree
12-01-2010, 04:20 PM

It's like people are ignoring the fact that he's putting together a pro bowl season. That doesn't happen in 2.5 games for the love of God.

Even when Cassel hasn't played well he still threw TDs which something I saw as an important part of his progress.

Hammock Parties
12-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Even when Cassel hasn't played well he still threw TDs which something I saw as an important part of his progress.

You like those garbage-time TDs, eh?

Were you a big fan of Bill Kenney?

TheGuardian
12-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Derek Anderson went to the Pro Bowl.

So did Chris Miller, Mark Rypien, Neil O'Donnell, Bobby Hebert, Jeff Hostetler, Jim Harbaugh, Jeff Blake, Gus Frerrote, Trent Dilfer, Brian Griese, Jake Delhomme, STEVE BONO AND ELVIS GRBAC.

Using exceptions never supports the rule. The pro bowl is littered with more great QB's than 1 year wonders. Please give it a fucking rest.

Hammock Parties
12-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Using exceptions never supports the rule. The pro bowl is littered with more great QB's than 1 year wonders. Please give it a fucking rest.

Great quarterbacks go to Pro Bowls MULTIPLE TIMES.

Using one Pro Bowl appearance - WHICH HASN'T EVEN HAPPENED YET- as some kind of proof of Cassel's greatness is premature.

As is lauding him for beating up on NFC West defenses.

All this shit is premature. All of it.

zonachief
12-01-2010, 05:57 PM
You can't teach accuracy or arm strength. I've read it here.

Yeah you can.. Its called footwook and mechanics.

Rasputin
12-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Cassel has been most impressive his last few outings. He still has lots to prove imo but, he is on the right track now. I think the Dungver game made him grow into his job and accountability. I'm encouraged by his play, but still think of him as a retread QB and untill he wins against Dungver, Oakland, and play offs I will hold researve before I start liking him more. At this time he has proved his worth this season, hope he continues to improve. I still want us to draft a QBotf this offseason draft, but not hold my breath.

Rasputin
12-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Cassel running down the field to help block for JC was just bad ass!!! That was cool and he made some other kick ass plays in sundays game that produced firts downs or touch downs!!!!! That's what I expect from our QB.

KCrockaholic
12-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah you can.. Its called footwook and mechanics.

http://videobeta.net/gifs/21942.gif

Nope. Noooope. I've read it on CP. You can't.

zonachief
12-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Nope. Noooope. I've read it on CP. You can't.[/QUOTE]

HAHA

Sandolf
12-01-2010, 07:41 PM
A.J. Smith realized he had one, so he could afford to let Brees hit the road.

FAX
12-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Just going by what I have observed, Mr. TheGuardian. That's all.

Dirt balls. Crazy eyes. Satellite launchings. Whirling Buzz Saw Surrenders. Pee stains. Stuff like that.

Then, there came the goat game followed by Arizona and Seattle in which he really looked like a true, talented, NFL quarterback.

It reminds me of that old, Belgium proverb; "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and I'm kicking you square in the nads, man. Belgium style."

FAX

Marcellus
12-01-2010, 08:13 PM
I think at this point is is reasonable to assume that not playing in college and not playing his first what 4 years or so in the NFL slowed his growth.

He played well but looked like a young backup or so playing with talent in 2008 with NE, made use of his play makers but didn't do anything awe inspiring.

2009 not as much talent, new team, sophomore starters slump etc....

2010 starts slow but starts to build on it. Playing well now.

Sounds like a lot of young players only Cassel isn't as young but has the actual game experience of a younger player or even less counting college.

Maybe he is making the big step. Gannon, Young, Green, several young players didn't light it up early on.

milkman
12-01-2010, 10:00 PM

Using one Pro Bowl appearance - WHICH HASN'T EVEN HAPPENED YET- as some kind of proof of Cassel's greatness is premature.

Yes it is premature.

However the observations of his footwork are not.

His footwork has been stellar in these last two games, and that (his poor footwork) was a huge part of the reason for his inconsistency, lack of accuracy, and even his lack of pocket presence.

It looks as though it has just clicked for him finally.

I said in another thread that I have never seen him with this kind of footwork in any of the game I have watched before, not in KC or in New England.

This article supports that claim.

JD10367
12-01-2010, 10:06 PM
http://videobeta.net/gifs/21942.gif

Nope. Noooope. I've read it on CP. You can't.

Can't post that one without the much-improved followup.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8jb2el4Wq1qaw861o1_250.gif

Frankie
12-01-2010, 11:57 PM

Well this is surprisingly a mature post by GoChiefs.

Frankie
12-01-2010, 11:58 PM
I still want us to draft a QBotf this offseason draft, but not hold my breath.

That possibility is being relegated to the late rounds now, if at all.

googlegoogle
12-02-2010, 04:21 AM
good article.

i think of troy aikmen's quick feet too.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2010, 06:20 AM
OTWP58 and GoChiefs have already sacrificed their first born sons (well OTWP58 sacrificed his cats first litter since he's not old enough for his balls to have dropped yet) to the devil to make sure that Matt Cassel sucks and that the Chiefs are forced to draft a QB that sucks as well. So they can keep bitching.

And this horseshit is why trying to give Cassel a compliment is an exercise in futility.

You and the rest of the nut-huggers need to get the fuck over yourselves. Period.
If Cassel gets better, we ALL win. So take your tired act, people( and you know who the fuck you are ), and kindly shut...the fuck...up.

You want to make it personal? You fucking want some? Come get it.

Reerun_KC
12-02-2010, 07:16 AM
And this horseshit is why trying to give Cassel a compliment is an exercise in futility.

You and the rest of the nut-huggers need to get the **** over yourselves. Period.
If Cassel gets better, we ALL win. So take your tired act, people( and you know who the **** you are ), and kindly shut...the ****...up.

You want to make it personal? You ****ing want some? Come get it.

Post Fail....

SAUTO
12-02-2010, 07:42 AM

You and the rest of the nut-huggers need to get the fuck over yourselves. Period.
If Cassel gets better, we ALL win. So take your tired act, people( and you know who the fuck you are ), and kindly shut...the fuck...up.

You want to make it personal? You fucking want some? Come get it.

ROFL see this is funny shit. REAL funny after the way you fuckers have acted for the last year and a half around here.

Reerun_KC
12-02-2010, 07:45 AM
ROFL see this is funny shit. REAL funny after the way you ****ers have acted for the last year and a half around here.
dont let it get to you, ROR was more of a follower than a leader... He ran around qouting Draftabulators and haters with stupid pictures or saying... Very rarely added anything of substance...

that is how he earned the name lapdog....

SAUTO
12-02-2010, 08:15 AM
dont let it get to you, ROR was more of a follower than a leader... He ran around qouting Draftabulators and haters with stupid pictures or saying... Very rarely added anything of substance...

that is how he earned the name lapdog....

i know. i was here. dcs ror, how many others?

Fat Elvis
12-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Yes it is premature.

However the observations of his footwork are not.

His footwork has been stellar in these last two games, and that (his poor footwork) was a huge part of the reason for his inconsistency, lack of accuracy, and even his lack of pocket presence.

It looks as though it has just clicked for him finally.

I said in another thread that I have never seen him with this kind of footwork in any of the game I have watched before, not in KC or in New England.

This article supports that claim.

I don't think Cassel will ever be a great QB, but I think he can become a very good QB. Like you, I think his improved footwork will reap incredible dividends for this team. It is kind of funny when you look at another QB that is trying to emulate Drew Brees and his footwork and the type of progress he has had this year over last year: Josh Freeman. Josh Freeman went and worked out with Drew Brees this past summer and one of the things he really focused on was his footwork. He has made the same kind of strides as a QB this year that Cassel has made. (Very similar increases in stats between Cassel and Freeman)

Drew Brees says the key to his accuracy is being able to throw the ball the same way every time--and that all begins with good footwork.

stevieray
12-02-2010, 09:24 AM
I don't think Cassel will ever be a great QB, but I think he can become a very good QB. Like you, I think his improved footwork will reap incredible dividends for this team. It is kind of funny when you look at another QB that is trying to emulate Drew Brees and his footwork and the type of progress he has had this year over last year: Josh Freeman. Josh Freeman went and worked out with Drew Brees this past summer and one of the things he really focused on was his footwork. He has made the same kind of strides as a QB this year that Cassel has made. (Very similar increases in stats between Cassel and Freeman)

Drew Brees says the key to his accuracy is being able to throw the ball the same way every time--and that all begins with good footwork.

...good footwork is imperative, just like in boxing and playing oline..it's getting your hips in place..that's where all your power comes from.

JD10367
12-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Someone needs to make one of those bad animations on this subject.

Panel 1: "I hate Cassel! Cassel sucks! We never should've gotten him!"
Panel 2: a list of Cassel's good recent stats, Chiefs stats, their W-L record
Panel 3: FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU....

:D

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Post Fail....

Fuck you, you fucking rag.

Who was the pussy, yes PUSSY who spent months running around bitching and posting about "OH WHAAAAAH IS ME I HAVE TO PUT UP Vvfb SO I CAN READ CHEIFS PLANET"!!!!

Tardian has more Chiefs Planet backbone than you, you fucking snail.

I oughtta' neg-rep you just for being a bitch.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2010, 04:40 PM
ROFL see this is funny shit. REAL funny after the way you fuckers have acted for the last year and a half around here.

With all due respect, the gulf between NE Cassel and KC Cassel looked about as wide as the fucking Grand Canyon, and we STILL don't know if this current improvement is long term or not.

There's a ROAD TO GO yet for this guy, and that's just reality.

But I'm not above giving him praise when he deserves it. And just because the team gets a win, that does NOT ALWAYS FUCKING EQUATE TO MATT CASSEL getting better!

Fuck!