PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Should we be seeing some more Jackie Battle?

RealSNR
12-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I've been happy with Thomas Jones sharing the load, but I haven't seen him earn tough yards on short yardage plays the way he was brought to this team to do. At least not since early in the year.

Repeatedly we feed him the ball on toss sweeps that put him back 3-4 yards behind the line of scrimmage. And repeatedly the play gets snuffed out. Might be bad blocking combined with a predictable play call from Weis. I'd rather we ditch these retarded plays and have Jones just be an inside the tackles runner/available outlet on passing plays.

As Charles gets more carries because he's the more successful back of the two, that's going to mean greater pressure to be successful on offense when Charles is not in the game. And I don't know what it is, but Jones just looks old and sluggish at times. Much different than he looked at the beginning of the year.

I keep hearing about the promise and splendor that is Jackie Battle. Hell, I saw it in preseason play. I even saw it against Jacksonville. The guy's a player. Time to put him on the field. It can only help out Jones and Charles by giving them some rest. Plus he really IS a different type of runner. Jones is far from a short carry/bruising runner. We'd have a true power back in Battle.

I'm not saying he gets a third of the carries or anything. But put him in the game a few times. Maybe if we've got a lead in the 3rd quarter and have already put together one or two first downs on a drive. Give both Charles and Jones a breather. Put in Jackie for one or two plays. At the very least he's adept at blocking.

Shogun
12-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Charles/Jones/Mccluster/Battle/Shaun "THE FUCKING FREEZER" Smith

Let them all rush for 1000! TO THE SHIP

kstater
12-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Saving him for the playoffs.

Fish
12-01-2010, 07:57 PM
I really like Battle. He's a tough runner. Not the fastest or the shiftiest, but he plays hard. I'd love to see him in more.

black angus
12-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Shaun Smith has taken his place.

RealSNR
12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
I know RBs are meant to be used, but Thomas Jones is ancient for a RB. He's lasted this long because he had a late start to his career. I really like the guy and I just hope he can remain productive for at least another year after this one.

Battle could help prolong his time here in KC.

zonachief
12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
didnt TJ have two touchdowns two weeks ago?....wow...tryin saying THAT three times fast.

Fish
12-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't really think they should bench TJ or anything. He's still got some great runs in him. I'd just like Battle mixed in the bunch. Stats are great and Charles needs more touches and all:D, but the 3 of them give a lot of different looks for a D. Use them all.

Bane
12-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Shaun Smith needs more carries.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
12-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Fuckin A'..... him too....

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Put Battle in ONLY when we have a substantial lead. TJ is a good back , he doesn't deserve critisizm.

zonachief
12-01-2010, 08:07 PM
....Derrick Ross needs more carries????

RealSNR
12-01-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't really think they should bench TJ or anything. He's still got some great runs in him. I'd just like Battle mixed in the bunch. Stats are great and Charles needs more touches and all:D, but the 3 of them give a lot of different looks for a D. Use them all.Exactly. A few carries per game is what I'm thinking. No more than 5.

Shogun
12-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Exactly. A few carries per game is what I'm thinking. No more than 5.

And who knows? Build on that. What if we had another Jamaal Charles sitting at 3rd string and we don't know. Build those 5 carries in to 5 more carries, but no more than 10. Jamaal needs to eat too.

philfree
12-01-2010, 08:19 PM
If we get into a grind out the clock situation where we have the game in hand then giving Battle some carries is a good idea to me. We don't need to put any unnecessary ware and tear on Charles and Jones. Keep those guys as fresh as possible.

PhilFree:arrow:

TinyEvel
12-01-2010, 09:06 PM
My Cox needs more touches.

RealSNR
12-01-2010, 09:14 PM
My Cox needs more touches.Why aren't we putting Cox in the slot more?

ReynardMuldrake
12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Not while Jones is healthy, but if/when he starts to get old and slow down, start rotating Battle in. Maybe next season.

I like Battle a lot. Great motor and a ton of heart.

milkman
12-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

He's got a natural gift for cradling balls.

milkman
12-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Not while Jones is healthy, but if/when he starts to get old and slow down, start rotating Battle in. Maybe next season.

I like Battle a lot. Great motor and a ton of heart.

Jones is already showing his age and slowing down.

Buehler445
12-01-2010, 10:56 PM
I really like Battle. He's a tough runner. Not the fastest or the shiftiest, but he plays hard. I'd love to see him in more.

I'm on board. I've been thinking he needed more carries since LJ was here and we sent him to the practice squad. He was better at being LJ than LJ.

I'd agree with this and am on board with SNR that maybe we can squeeze another year out of him if we cut his work some.

FAX
12-01-2010, 11:20 PM

This intelligent, insightful, and informative post accurately reflects my feelings on the matter.

Although Battle (who has one of those awesome football names that only come along once in a blue moon, by the way ... kind of like Shields which was a great name for a pass protector guy) is known for "power" running, he demonstrated some real get-up-and-gone-right-by-your-ass-while-you-watch speed in the pre-season. He's no slouch ... I don't think.

He's the kind of guy, probably, who could give you some very nice performances if he were to receive enough touches to get into the flow/feel of a game.

Good luck with making that happen, though. Charles is, frankly, one in a million. The guy is for real and freaky, scary good. Although ... as I think about it ... it would be nice if we could use him sparingly over the next few weeks (if possible). An injury-free Jamaal Charles with fresh legs would be a dream come true in a playoff game.

FAX

Chief DJBrad
12-02-2010, 02:02 AM
He should be getting 5 carries a game.Good special team player and battles for those extra yards and has fresh legs.Would not suprise me to see him used more down the stretch.

Thig Lyfe
12-02-2010, 02:17 AM
I think Dex's return will work wonders for the team in terms of touch distribution. Before he was injured, Weis was able to call more plays that involved misdirection and screens (which have been miserable since Dex left). Throw a few carries Battle's way and you'll have a near-perfect balance.

Moeaki needs more looks, too. I feel like Dex's absence has actually affected Moeaki's targets; he got way more action before left, maybe because Dex drew a lot of the underneath coverage.

Give Charles a bulk of the carries, give Jones a few carries per drive, give Dex the ball on end-arounds and screens, and give Battle a few carries per game in short-yardage situations. Go to Moeaki over the middle and keep using Bowe the way they've been using him. And then trade for Thigpen! TO THE SHA!!!!!!!!

TimeForWasp
12-02-2010, 02:29 AM
I really like battle and want to see him get carries, but I have the feeling he is the kind of back that needs quite a few carries to be at his best. kinda like the bus. I've said before I'd like to see him on the field doing what Jones does. Then bring jones in for about 10 or 15 carries and let Charles have all the rest. with a sprinkle of mccluster. Alot of mccluster in the passing game.

michaelj_58
12-02-2010, 04:36 AM
battle has fumbled a couple time's,maybe that's why they don't use him much.

Earthling
12-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Although ... as I think about it ... it would be nice if we could use him sparingly over the next few weeks (if possible). An injury-free Jamaal Charles with fresh legs would be a dream come true in a playoff game.

FAX

I would agree, but, I think it will be very hard to have a chance of beating SD and also use Charles sparingly. Thats kinda like a playoff game for us anyway.

ReynardMuldrake
12-02-2010, 07:32 AM

He's still putting up good numbers though. Once his production starts falling off more I would not have a problem rotating Battle in there a few more carries a game.

Mr. Laz
12-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Tim Castille needs more carries!!

RealSNR
12-02-2010, 01:01 PM
battle has fumbled a couple time's,maybe that's why they don't use him much.When?

ReynardMuldrake
12-02-2010, 01:34 PM
When?

Hmm, can't find any...

http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/roster/Jackie-Battle/aefc79fc-5ed2-4d6b-90ff-0f735a09b8d6

CoMoChief
12-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Shaun "The deep freezing - ball squeezing" Smith

Red Dawg
12-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Charles/Jones/Mccluster/Battle/Shaun "THE ****ING FREEZER" Smith

Let them all rush for 1000! TO THE SHIP

That was the biggest ball he grabbed all year.