PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Ron Santo dead

Dave Lane
12-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Good guy RIP

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5878406&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

WilliamTheIrish
12-03-2010, 08:54 AM
First baseball player I ever knew that was diabetic.Jim Bouton had a great account of Santo hitting a HR and nearly collapsing as he crossed the plate.

Sully
12-03-2010, 09:03 AM
In my brief foray into sports radio, I worked for the Z-Man, and he absolutely idolized Santo. We had him on for an interview once and Z was like a kid on Christmas morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ's left nut
12-03-2010, 09:08 AM
May he be reunited with his leg in the afterlife.

It's going to be a lot less fun hopping in and out of my cub fan co-workers office during Cardinals series now.

Frazod
12-03-2010, 09:36 AM
He may have been a great player, but fuck he was the worst radio announcer in the history of radios. Ugh. I might actually be able to listen to a Cubs/Cards while driving now without wanting to run down the nearest Cub fan out of sheer spite.

Anyway, RIP.

Gonzo
12-03-2010, 10:03 AM
He may have been a great player, but fuck he was the worst radio announcer in the history of radios. Ugh. I might actually be able to listen to a Cubs/Cards while driving now without wanting to run down the nearest Cub fan out of sheer spite.

Anyway, RIP.

I was never much of a Cubs fan but I never minded listening to him on the radio occasionally. The guy was passionate about his ball team and just an all around nice guy.
Rip Ronnie.
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
12-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I've met him a couple times....my grandmother's old neighbor used to be the Cub's 1st base coach.....used to get tickets to Cubs games all the time when I was younger and would visit her in the summers. Used to go up and meet some of the announcers and press box, I remember him being a nice guy. RIP. (And also Harry Caray used to be drunker than piss at times).

oldandslow
12-03-2010, 10:33 AM
The Cubs/Cards rivalry lost someone special. Santo, Sandburg, Jenkins, Williams, Banks - good grief how did some of those clubs miss going to the WS?

Be that as it may - RIP Mr. Santo. You were one of a kind.

gblowfish
12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
And yet, Bob Davis is healthy as a mule.

Life is not fair.

CoMoChief
12-03-2010, 10:37 AM
The Cubs/Cards rivalry lost someone special. Santo, Sandburg, Jenkins, Williams, Banks - good grief how did some of those clubs miss going to the WS?

Be that as it may - RIP Mr. Santo. You were one of a kind.

They're cursed.

POND_OF_RED
12-03-2010, 01:13 PM
He may have been a great player, but **** he was the worst radio announcer in the history of radios. Ugh. I might actually be able to listen to a Cubs/Cards while driving now without wanting to run down the nearest Cub fan out of sheer spite.

Anyway, RIP.

"OH,NOOO!" He may have been the definition of a homer, but that's why Cubs fans loved him so much. It's hard not to put the homer goggles on when you spend almost half of your life with ties to one organization. May he rest in piece. Very sad day for Cubs fans everywhere.

Rain Man
12-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I wasn't a baseball fan as a kid, but occasionally someone would give me baseball cards as a birthday present or something, so I had a little collection. I had a Ron Santo card (below) that I really liked, because he had pretty big biceps and looked pretty tough for a baseball player.

http://mediumpics.yardsellr.com/202812.jpg

vailpass
12-03-2010, 02:37 PM
RIP Ronnie Santo you were one tough-nosed son of a bitch.

LOCOChief
12-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Occasionally on Wed evening I have a few drinks with Glenn Beckert (Santo's old roomy and long time teammates and bud) One time Glenn said jokingly that he was so pissed off at Ron when he got his new prosthetic limbs and all of a sudden he was an inch taller than Glenn.

My first new glove was a Wilson Santos signature, that was one hell of an in field.

RIP

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Condolences to he and his family, and congratulations on the Cubs bringing him so many championships during his life.

Hydrae
12-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Sad news indeed. We lived in Chicago in the late 60's, early 70's and he was an integral part of that team. Broke my heart nearly every year with their inability to get to the post season though (I will never have any good thoughts about the %$&*%&$ Mets! :cuss: )

Pioli Zombie
12-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Good. I hope he goes straight to fucking hell and rots there in eternal agony. Oh wait, I'm thinking of someone else. Never mind.

BigRedChief
12-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Good guy RIP

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5878406&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlinesas an old school Cardinal fan who actually remembers him playing in the field.....mucho respect. :thumb:

He played the game the way it should be played and as fans we should admire. Even if he was wearing a Cubs uniform.

BigRedChief
12-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Condolences to he and his family, and congratulations on the Cubs bringing him so many championships during his life.come on play nice, the dudes dead.