PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs notes: Chiefs look to improve defense second time around

Tribal Warfare
12-04-2010, 04:26 AM
Chiefs notes: Chiefs look to improve defense second time around (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/03/2496179/chiefs-notes-chiefs-look-to-improve.html)

A second chance on defense

Chiefs defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel said Friday that his unit has to start better on Sunday against Denver than it did three weeks ago, when Denver jumped to a 35-0 first-half lead and blew out Kansas City 49-29.

Crennel said the Chiefs have to do a better job against the run, which could help the team on the many play-action passes the Broncos used at Invesco Field.

“They were like a pitcher that was ahead in the count,” Crennel said. “We got behind in the count, and then their variety of what they were able to do expanded, and we could never catch up. That has something to do with it.

“We had an opportunity to make a couple plays early that we didn’t make, and they stayed ahead in the count. What we have to do is not get behind in the count this time and then see if we can play a lot better.”

Crennel added that the Chiefs hope to force Denver into difficult third-down situations more often and then allow the crowd at Arrowhead Stadium to have an effect.

Weis remembers costly mistakes

Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis said Friday that winning Sunday might have less to do with what Kansas City does than what it doesn’t do. In the teams’ previous meeting three weeks ago, Weis recalled, the Chiefs committed a false-start penalty that negated a third-down catch by running back Jamaal Charles. Weis also remembers quarterback Matt Cassel underthrowing Chris Chambers, who was open and had a clear path toward the end zone.

Weis said the Chiefs have to be sharper this time around if they hope to avoid a similar result.

“It wasn’t just their defense; it was just how the whole game went,” he said. “They got it rocking and rolling on offense, and we weren’t matching them in the point production and the game got out of hand and out of reach pretty quickly.”

Secondary isn’t yet healthy

The Chiefs have been missing one defensive back or another for most of the last month, and it’s unclear whether they’ll have their full starting unit available Sunday.

Cornerback Brandon Flowers, who missed last week’s game with a hamstring injury, is listed as questionable. Rookie safety Kendrick Lewis is probable with an ankle injury, and reserve cornerback Jackie Bates is out with an injured knee.

The team signed cornerback Mike Richardson earlier this week in an effort to improve its depth in the secondary. To make room for Richardson, the Chiefs waived linebacker Justin Cole, whom the team added to its practice squad Friday.

Other injuries

Safety Jon McGraw (head) and left guard Ryan Lilja (foot) were listed as probable for Sunday’s game.

The Broncos will be without four players, including three members of their secondary. Safeties Brian Dawkins (knee) and Darcel McBeth and cornerback Andre Goodman (hip) were listed as out for Sunday. Wide receiver Demaryius Thomas (ankle) also will miss the game.

michaelj_58
12-04-2010, 07:26 AM
denver's secondary is beat up too!!!!

Buehler445
12-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Might be tough sledding without Flowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chief DJBrad
12-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Blitz early and blitz often and run the damn ball this time!Chiefs 42 Donkeys 20

Chiefless
12-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Denver made, like, 5 circus catches in that game. Without them KC had a chance.

Marcellus
12-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Dawkins is out? Could be a shoot out.

CupidStunt
12-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Dawkins is garbage. It's a shame he's out.

KC Jones
12-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Denver made, like, 5 circus catches in that game. Without them KC had a chance.

Orton was on fire last time. If he plays that well again against our beat up secondary we could very well lose again - or at least be in a shoot out. We really need to put some heat on him. Hopefully the 12th man can help with that and they'll have some protection breakdowns.

Cassell needs to keep up with his recent play. He took unecessary sacks last time and was horribly inaccurate for the first half.

RINGLEADER
12-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Might be tough sledding without Flowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep.

Got a lot of the same feelings I had before the last Denver game, though I can't see us repeating all the mistakes and brainfarts that led to probably a 28-point swing in the differential. Doubt we'll see Cassel getting sacked a bunch of times or them running up the gut like they did in round one. I think the Chiefs win but you can't expect great play from a secondary this banged up when you're facing a pass-heavy team like the Broncos. It's one of the few things they do right...

BigMeatballDave
12-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Yep.

Got a lot of the same feelings I had before the last Denver game, though I can't see us repeating all the mistakes and brainfarts that led to probably a 28-point swing in the differential. Doubt we'll see Cassel getting sacked a bunch of times or them running up the gut like they did in round one. I think the Chiefs win but you can't expect great play from a secondary this banged up when you're facing a pass-heavy team like the Broncos. It's one of the few things they do right...I guess we're gonna see just how much pride this D has.

BigMeatballDave
12-04-2010, 11:22 AM
For me, letting Denver clock us TWICE would be VERY disappointing.

stevieray
12-04-2010, 11:22 AM
I guarantee that I will lose my voice tomorrow.

Donks come to town, I get motivated.

salame
12-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Damn Kendrick Lewis is hurt a lot

Mr. Laz
12-04-2010, 12:46 PM
gotta start bringing out the zone blitzes to create some pressure to help protect our secondary.

time for Crennel to break out some tricks and bring the heat

Rausch
12-04-2010, 12:49 PM
bring the heat

This.

The only negative I have with this defense is how little we blitz and how little pressure we put on the QB...

ChiefaRoo
12-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Haley is going to burgle the donks by blitzing Orton like a mofo. He will then step on McDaniels neck during the post game handshake while lecturing him on the importance of sportsmanship. KC 34, Donks 20

Rausch
12-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Haley is going to burgle the donks by blitzing Orton like a mofo.

He should, and I'd love it, but I'll believe it when I see it....

HemiEd
12-04-2010, 01:27 PM
I am so ready for this game, hope it is like I think it is going to be, a clinic.

LaChapelle
12-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Partly sunny
high of 32
NW winds 10mph

BigMeatballDave
12-04-2010, 02:23 PM
After the game, when Haley and McDumbass meet for the handshake, Todd should pull this out...http://store.theflip.com/img/en-us/ultrahd8gb2hr/Black.png

Rausch
12-04-2010, 02:26 PM
After the game, when Haley and McDumbass meet for the handshake, Todd should pull this out...

notorious
12-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Denver has already played their Superbowl this year.

We should win this game, but it won't be as easy as a lot of people think.

One thing is for sure, I will be amazed if Denver's horrific run defense turns into the 85' Bears again.

Rausch
12-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Denver has already played their Superbowl this year.

We should win this game, but it won't be as easy as a lot of people think.

One thing is for sure, I will be amazed if Denver's horrific run defense turns into the 85' Bears again.

I'll also be absolutely pissed if we wet ourselves and abandon the run after the 1st quarter.

With, and think about this, COMPLETELY AVERAGE starters on the offensive line we may break all time records for rushing yards as a team.

Yeah, it's not likely, but possible.

And we're not really that good.

Even if we draft for complete $#it this offseason we have the clout already to sign legit top flight free agents and push to dominate the division...

notorious
12-04-2010, 02:52 PM
I'll also be absolutely pissed if we wet ourselves and abandon the run after the 1st quarter.

Denver must have been jacked up x 11tytrillion. They dominated our O-Line with their dogshit defense and made our #1 running attack look like the later LJ years.

Denver invested everything they had, have, and will have in that game. I want blood, and I want that blood to remind them that they will not have a shot at winning dick for a long time.

Rausch
12-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Denver must have been jacked up x 11tytrillion. They dominated our O-Line with their dogshit defense and made our #1 running attack look like the later LJ years.

Denver invested everything they had, have, and will have in that game. I want blood, and I want that blood to remind them that they will not have a shot at winning dick for a long time.

I don't care if they stuff us for 3 quarters.

That's our game.

If we stay with it it also helps our defense (suddenly respectable vs the run and suck as usual vs the pass.)

1ChiefsDan
12-04-2010, 04:19 PM
ArrowheadPride (http://twitter.com/#!/ArrowheadPride) Arrowhead Pride

Chiefs Downgrade Kendrick Lewis For Broncos Game http://sbn.to/icluth (http://sbn.to/icluth)