PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs haven’t played a game this big in a long time

Tribal Warfare
12-07-2010, 03:42 AM
Chiefs haven’t played a game this big in a long time (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/06/2502870/chiefs-havent-played-a-game-this.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs have to go back to their last playoff appearance in January 2007 to find a game of true significance.

The 60 regular-season games since then? The Chiefs played those just for fun.

Much more than fun is at stake Sunday when the 8-4 Chiefs can go a long way toward clinching their first AFC West title since 2003 by beating the 6-6 Chargers in San Diego.

“It’s been a long time since we’ve been in a situation that a game will count as much as it will this weekend,” said guard Brian Waters, who joined the Chiefs in 2000 and is their longest-tenured player. “I’m sure it will be an emotional football game for both sides.”

It should be more emotional for the Chiefs than the Chargers, who won the last four AFC West championships. With a win, the Chiefs can eliminate San Diego from title consideration, though the Oakland Raiders, also 6-6, would remain in contention whether or not they beat the Jaguars on Sunday in Jacksonville.

If the Chiefs lose in San Diego, they’re almost assured a tight race to the end. So while it’s not a must-win for the Chiefs because they have some margin for error, they can make their lives a lot more pleasant by beating the Chargers.

The Chargers, who lost 28-13 to Oakland on Sunday, fell two games behind the Chiefs, who beat Denver 10-6 in a closer-than-expected result.

“Each week the games get bigger and they get more important,” Chiefs coach Todd Haley said. “That’s just the way it is when you’re having some success.

“Somebody asked me (Sunday) if I thought they were just peeking ahead and I said pretty emphatically that no, I think our guys were focused. That’s the way we have to be right now.”

That might not be so easy to come by. The Chiefs in their two seasons under Haley have generally been good at keeping focused on the task at hand, even if they haven’t always played well.

But they haven’t played a game of this magnitude

“It’s a big game, obviously, but you don’t want to make too much of it,” said guard Ryan Lilja, a veteran of many such games from his seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

“You just want to go about your business like you always do. It’s a big deal and everybody’s going to be talking about it and the pressure’s up, but you can’t let that affect how you prepare for the game. If you do, it could set you back.

“We can’t get wrapped up in all the hype. That’s the way you approach a big game like this.”

The Chiefs have plenty of key players who don’t know about big professional games in December — from Jamaal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, Tony Moeaki and Branden Albert on offense to Glenn Dorsey, Eric Berry, Brandon Carr and Brandon Flowers on defense.

“It’s going to be a big game, but we can’t look at it like that,” Bowe said.

“We’ve got to go out there and play them like we played them the first game. If we minimize the mistakes we made (against Denver) we should capitalize and come out with a win.”

It’s up to veterans like Waters and Lilja to educate Bowe and the others this week.

“I’m not concerned,” Waters said.

“I like our young guys. That’s one thing about our young guys that has probably been a big influence on our football team and a big reason for our success is our young guys aren’t scared of anything. These guys have played in big games in college, they have a lot of leadership skills, and they’re fearless. That’s something as a veteran football player that takes a big burden off you, trying to get those guys ready.

“They’re already ready. They’ve got that type of intensity, the characteristics inside of them that makes them want to take on the big games. Now it’s time. We’ve got a week to put our heads together and put our emotions together.”

Hammock Parties
12-07-2010, 03:44 AM
This game isn't that big.

If we lose, we're still in the driver's seat.

Tribal Warfare
12-07-2010, 03:50 AM
This game isn't that big.

If we lose, we're still in the driver's seat.

It deals with the facet if KC can handle a "playoff" caliber QB and overall team. That's why this game is so important.

kcxiv
12-07-2010, 03:50 AM
I think its a real big game. If we win, we are more or less a lock to win the West. Eliminate one team is huge. Especially the Chargers.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2010, 04:03 AM
I think the Raiders game is going to be bigger.

I can see the Chiefs being one game ahead of the Raiders and needing to win to go to the playoffs.

There is zero pressure on this team this week...and I don't really like it.

Crush
12-07-2010, 04:16 AM
No pressure? We have a chance to cut off the head. It is time to step it up and banish Norv back to the Lands of Underachieving.

12-07-2010, 06:00 AM

I can see the Chiefs being one game ahead of the Raiders and needing to win to go to the playoffs.

There is zero pressure on this team this week...and I don't really like it.I don't think Oakland can beat Jacksonville or Indy so the only way we can blow this thing is to lose to the Chargers and drop a game somewhere else. I am worried about going to St. Louis and Oakland always shows up and plays hard in Arrowhead.

EDIT

The Titans isn't a done deal either. Our remaining games may look easy after SD but they are not.

Bugeater
12-07-2010, 06:22 AM

There is zero pressure on this team this week...and I don't really like it.
Ugh...1999 all over again...

milkman
12-07-2010, 08:36 AM
I don't think Oakland can beat Jacksonville or Indy so the only way we can blow this thing is to lose to the Chargers and drop a game somewhere else. I am worried about going to St. Louis and Oakland always shows up and plays hard in Arrowhead.

EDIT

The Titans isn't a done deal either. Our remaining games may look easy after SD but they are not.

The Raiders are a physically dominating defense, that can run the ball extremely well on offense.

When they go to Indy, they can just tee up and go after Manning, who clearly has shown the cracks without the protection he's had for years.

Jacksonville will be tough, but if they can take MJD out of the game and put the game in Garrard's hand, they have a good cahnce to win there, as well.

I can see the game between the Chiefs and Raiders at the end of the year as the deciding game for the division.

Chiefspants
12-07-2010, 08:40 AM

That's what I keep thinking about..hopefully the chiefs will be able to avenge that loss, or perhaps they could avoid a try or die situation entirely.

Coogs
12-07-2010, 08:42 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/lines

Chargers are opening as a 7 point favorite, and Jax is opening as a 5 point favorite over the Raiders.

Just in case you were curious!

milkman
12-07-2010, 08:44 AM

As much as I hate the Raiders, the NFL is better when the Chiefs and Raiders games have meaning.

There's a history between these two teams that is unmatched by any other rivalry.

And '99 all over again?

I think not.

I don't see some dumbass with yellow shades on the sidelines in KC.

Coogs
12-07-2010, 08:45 AM
And the Colts/Raiders game is in Oakland, and even though the Raiders have dropped a couple of games in their own stadium, I can see that being a lot better situation than going to Indianapolis for the Raiders.

Lex Luthor
12-07-2010, 08:49 AM
As much as I hate the Raiders, the NFL is better when the Chiefs and Raiders games have meaning.

There's a history between these two teams that is unmatched by any other rivalry.

As a fan of the Chiefs since 1969, I feel the same way. However, I don't think even all Chiefs fan will agree with you. I get the impression that the younger fans hate the Broncos more than they hate the Raiders.

stevieray
12-07-2010, 08:56 AM

And '99 all over again?

I think not.

I don't see some dumbass with yellow shades on the sidelines in KC.

or a dipshit that's gonna kick the ball out bounds three times in a row..I flew out for that game. man, I was pissed on the way home...

..as far as the OP..this is like a playoff game..they need to finsh these guys out....i want this game more than the denver game...we don't even want to let Oakland back into it, like the first meeting this season. I want to see the Chiefs start to separate from the pack, something good teams start to do about now. no coasting..put the pedal to the metal.

Bane
12-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Teicher is a dumb ass and I have no idea why he keeps spamming this garbage.

Pushead2
12-07-2010, 09:08 AM
I look at it more as a big game because we are on the road & it would be solid, good victory on the road.

keg in kc
12-07-2010, 09:13 AM
I don't think the Chargers game is all that important in the big picture. We control our own destiny, basically. Split the two road games and win out at home and it's over. Doesn't really matter whether we beat SD or SL, as long as we win one of them.

The Raiders game has the potential to be the biggest game since '99, as people have pointed out. I hope it's not. I'd rather have the division wrapped-up the Sunday before. I really don't want to give them a chance to piss in our Cheerios.

siberian khatru
12-07-2010, 09:18 AM

In the days before Sunday Ticket, I listened to that game on the Internet. Didn't we jump out to like a 17-0 lead or so? Hasty had a pick-6. I remember being giddy in my living room, confident that we were once again cruising over the Raiders.

Then Oakland blocked a punt, and the "WTF is going on?" moments started piling up.

And then that shitstain kicker ... what a bitch.

InChiefsHeaven
12-07-2010, 09:29 AM
This is a very important game, not just because we have an opportunity to eliminate the best team in the division, but to go in there and win on the road against a really good team will propel us into this last quarter and into the playoffs...and it'll be a real quality win if we can pull it off.

Coogs
12-07-2010, 09:30 AM
..as far as the OP..this is like a playoff game..they need to finsh these guys out....i want this game more than the denver game...we don't even want to let Oakland back into it, like the first meeting this season. I want to see the Chiefs start to separate from the pack, something good teams start to do about now. no coasting..put the pedal to the metal.

This

loochy
12-07-2010, 09:34 AM
It deals with the facet if KC can handle a "playoff" caliber QB and overall team. That's why this game is so important.

6-6 is playoff caliber?

cdcox
12-07-2010, 09:52 AM
From the present point of view, the game against SD is still the most important game remaining on the schedule by far. We might get to week 17 and be in a situation where we need to beat the Raiders to win the division, but if that happens, it is almost certainly because we didn't win in SD.

For example, our chances of winning the division are 93% if we win in San Diego and lose to Oakland, compared to 61% if we lose to SD and beat Oakland. This is the game we need to win. If we lose, we are back on the precipice, needing to win virtually every game from here on out. To suggest this isn't a big game is to ignore reality.

CaliforniaChief
12-07-2010, 09:54 AM
This is a very important game, not just because we have an opportunity to eliminate the best team in the division, but to go in there and win on the road against a really good team will propel us into this last quarter and into the playoffs...and it'll be a real quality win if we can pull it off.

this is like a playoff game..they need to finsh these guys out....i want this game more than the denver game...we don't even want to let Oakland back into it, like the first meeting this season. I want to see the Chiefs start to separate from the pack, something good teams start to do about now. no coasting..put the pedal to the metal.

I agree with both of you completely. This whole "we can lose and still be in the driver's seat thing" misses the point, IMO. We have an opportunity to win the division THIS WEEK. Ok, not mathematically, but realistically I think Raiders fans are banking on us losing Sunday to stay alive.

I don't just want to make the playoffs, although that would be fun. I want to do something in the playoffs. And coming out here and beating a wounded, desperate team like the Chargers in what amounts to their playoff game would tell me that this team might be ready to make a little noise in the postseason.

It's an opportunity to make a statement and say that this is our division. Nothing would announce to the whole league that there's a changing of the guard in the AFC West than if we were to go into their house and rip that title away from them.

The Week 17 game against the Raiders doesn't have to mean anything.

Coogs
12-07-2010, 10:01 AM
I agree with both of you completely. This whole "we can lose and still be in the driver's seat thing" misses the point, IMO. We have an opportunity to win the division THIS WEEK. Ok, not mathematically, but realistically I think Raiders fans are banking on us losing Sunday to stay alive.

I don't just want to make the playoffs, although that would be fun. I want to do something in the playoffs. And coming out here and beating a wounded, desperate team like the Chargers in what amounts to their playoff game would tell me that this team might be ready to make a little noise in the postseason.

It's an opportunity to make a statement and say that this is our division. Nothing would announce to the whole league that there's a changing of the guard in the AFC West than if we were to go into their house and rip that title away from them.

The Week 17 game against the Raiders doesn't have to mean anything.

Exactly!

And, we are still in the hunt for the #2 overall seed. It may be a small chance, but a chance none the less. Since we had our Bye week way early in the season, a Bye in the first round of the playoffs would be huge to give some of our dinged up players a chance to heal for an extra few days.

milkman
12-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Exactly!

And, we are still in the hunt for the #2 overall seed. It may be a small chance, but a chance none the less. Since we had our Bye week way early in the season, a Bye in the first round of the playoffs would be huge to give some of our dinged up players a chance to heal for an extra few days.

We'd have to have a lot of things fall into place in order for the Chiefs to earn a #2 seed.

I just would like to win out and go into the playoffs with the momentum of a 7 game win streak

Coogs
12-07-2010, 10:19 AM
We'd have to have a lot of things fall into place in order for the Chiefs to earn a #2 seed.

I just would like to win out and go into the playoffs with the momentum of a 7 game win streak

Agreed on the first part, and me too on the second part. I like the way the Chiefs focus on one game at a time. I think all of the teams in the NFL give that line lip service, but the Chiefs seem to be one of the teams that actually can do it as well.

I expect us to put forth a good game this Sunday. Hopefully it will be good enough, as I expect the Chargers to bring their A game as well.

Tribal Warfare
12-07-2010, 10:24 AM
6-6 is playoff caliber?

They are number one in total passing and total defense as a team.

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
They are number one in total passing and total defense as a team.

Yeah. And they are 6-6.

keg in kc
12-07-2010, 10:32 AM
I just would like to win out and go into the playoffs with the momentum of a 7 game win streakI would be unbelievably shocked if that happened.

Still wishing they'd found a way to hang on in Oakland and Tennessee. We'd be talking about a 10-2 team competing with NE for homefield.

Bugeater
12-07-2010, 10:38 AM
In the days before Sunday Ticket, I listened to that game on the Internet. Didn't we jump out to like a 17-0 lead or so? Hasty had a pick-6. I remember being giddy in my living room, confident that we were once again cruising over the Raiders.

Then Oakland blocked a punt, and the "WTF is going on?" moments started piling up.

And then that shitstain kicker ... what a bitch.
Yep, IIRC Hasty's pick-6 was on one of Gannon's first passes of the game. There was also a situation on Oakland's final drive where we had stopped them on 4th down, but the play clock had ran out before the snap so it was blown dead and they got another chance, and a Chief defender fell down on the ensuing play and they ended up converting it and going on to score.

And then there was Chucky dancing around on the sideline acting like he just won the Super Bowl....:grr:

talastan
12-07-2010, 10:47 AM
And then there was Chucky dancing around on the sideline acting like he just won the Super Bowl....:grr:

How insane would it be if Dungver brought Chucky back to the AFCW? :grr: I'd love to stomp his smug @ss twice a year.

milkman
12-07-2010, 11:19 AM
I would be unbelievably shocked if that happened.

Still wishing they'd found a way to hang on in Oakland and Tennessee. We'd be talking about a 10-2 team competing with NE for homefield.

Yeah, I'm not expecting it, but then I didn't expect to see the Chiefs win more than 5 games and be in the division driver's seat with 4 games remaining, so anyhting can happen.

Tribal Warfare
12-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Yeah. And they are 6-6.

Chargers still can decimate KC , and they do have a playoff caliber QB and defense

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Chargers still can decimate KC , and they do have a playoff caliber QB and defense

WE're going to find out if they are playoff caliber. If they are, they will make the playoffs.

Tribal Warfare
12-07-2010, 11:34 AM
WE're going to find out if they are playoff caliber. If they are, they will make the playoffs.

like how Cassel led a Championship offense to 11-5 and missed the playoffs?

loochy
12-07-2010, 11:35 AM

We've had it drilled into our heads by the media that SD is good. Some people are starting to believe that. I'm glad you don't. If they are so good then they wouldn't be 6-6.

Rep to you.

loochy
12-07-2010, 11:36 AM
like how Cassel led a Championship offense to 11-5 and missed the playoffs?

Apparently SOMETHING about that team wasn't championship caliber or else the would have made the playoffs.

Tribal Warfare
12-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Apparently SOMETHING about that team wasn't championship caliber or else the would have made the playoffs.

yeah, no Tom Brady

Chief Henry
12-07-2010, 11:44 AM
The Raiders are a physically dominating defense, that can run the ball extremely well on offense.

When they go to Indy, they can just tee up and go after Manning, who clearly has shown the cracks without the protection he's had for years.

Jacksonville will be tough, but if they can take MJD out of the game and put the game in Garrard's hand, they have a good cahnce to win there, as well.

I can see the game between the Chiefs and Raiders at the end of the year as the deciding game for the division.

It won't be.

crossbow
12-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Chiefs need to win to prove they deserve the AFC championship title and to silence their doubters. It would be a total heartbreak to lead the division all year only to blow it at the end. This game is huge.

milkman
12-07-2010, 11:51 AM
We've had it drilled into our heads by the media that SD is good. Some people are starting to believe that. I'm glad you don't. If they are so good then they wouldn't be 6-6.

Rep to you.

The Chargers are one of the most talented teams in the league.

But they are lacking something.
A mental toughness, discipline as a team, drive.

The fact that they start out seasons with a lack of any kind of urgency is an indictment of Norv Turner.

He doesn't have his team prepared to play when the season starts, and that fact is their downfall this year.

Crush
12-07-2010, 11:58 AM

The fact that they start out seasons with a lack of any kind of urgency is an indictment of Norv Turner.

He doesn't have his team prepared to play when the season starts, and that fact is their downfall this year.

A.J. Smith only has himself to blame. He wanted a yes man to stroke his ego, instead of a competent football coach. The Chargers should have won at least two Super Bowls in the past six years. They are the modern day version of the late 80's early 90's Houston Oilers.

cdcox

Are any of the following teams better than the Chargers:

Seattle, St. Louis, or San Francisco?

One of those teams is going to be a playoff team.

So we either conclude that one of those teams is better than the Chargers (which is idiotic), or the Chargers are better than a playoff caliber team. In any case, any informed observer can see the Chargers are a good football team. If we win this weekend, it will be a great accomplishment for the Chiefs, no ifs ands or buts. Vegas has the Chargers a 6.5 point favorite. The Chargers are a really good football team. Just like Dallas is. Those teams can play with anybody. They have under performed in a lot of games this year, but that doesn't lessen the fact that they are a very good team.

LaChapelle
If the Chiefs could some how pull out a win
Ron Rivera should be SD's HC monday afternoon

Pants
12-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Fuck. My palms are getting sweaty just thinking about Sunday.

stevieray
12-07-2010, 12:58 PM

just goes to show how important coaching is...teams emulate their HC.... anyone doubt Haley's intensity? more often than not, the Chiefs are in every game. Against the Donks, it came through in the defense...in Seattle, the offense..they started strong right out of the gate...

...and I think this where the Chargers downfall lies...they have so much talent, and forget how much of this game IS mental...a mindset.. After all the bad plays and outcomes, Cassel reacted in a negative manner once, yet Rivers is kicking the ball @ Arrowhead, and costing his team yards. You put Haley on the SD sideline, they prolly compete for the AFC Championship, if not win it outright.

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Are any of the following teams better than the Chargers:

Seattle, St. Louis, or San Francisco?

One of those teams is going to be a playoff team.

So we either conclude that one of those teams is better than the Chargers (which is idiotic), or the Chargers are better than a playoff caliber team. In any case, any informed observer can see the Chargers are a good football team. If we win this weekend, it will be a great accomplishment for the Chiefs, no ifs ands or buts. Vegas has the Chargers a 6.5 point favorite. The Chargers are a really good football team. Just like Dallas is. Those teams can play with anybody. They have under performed in a lot of games this year, but that doesn't lessen the fact that they are a very good team.

It's not like the Chargers are playing in a division with the Ravens and Steelers. They don't have a lot of obstacles in their way do they? And yet there they sit at 6-6.

No, they really aren't a good football team otherwise they wouldn't be 6-6 in a weak division.

The biggest part of being a VERY good football team is the ability to play at a consistent high level. They don't. /discussion

Brock
12-07-2010, 01:08 PM
It's not like the Chargers are playing in a division with the Ravens and Steelers. They don't have a lot of obstacles in their way do they? And yet there they sit at 6-6.

No, they really aren't a good football team otherwise they wouldn't be 6-6 in a weak division.

The biggest part of being a VERY good football team is the ability to play at a consistent high level. They don't. /discussion

You'd agree that they're very talented and can beat anybody on any given day, though.

stevieray
12-07-2010, 01:30 PM
You put Haley on the SD sideline, they prolly compete for the AFC Championship, if not win it outright.

I'll take it a step further...anyone want Norv to come coach us the rest of the season/playoffs?

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 01:35 PM
You'd agree that they're very talented and can beat anybody on any given day, though.

Well so can the browns or bills. But they don't. and neither do the chargers at 6-6.

milkman
12-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Well so can the browns or bills. But they don't. and neither do the chargers at 6-6.

You didn't answer the first part of that question.

Would you agree that the Chargers are talented?

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 01:46 PM
You didn't answer the first part of that question.

Would you agree that the Chargers are talented?

Every team in the NFL has elite talent. Look at the difference better coaching made in this team when people said this team had very little talent.

I think the talent on the Chargers squad is overrated by most of the media. Rivers has been a playoff choker that throws up balls to 6'5" wide outs that collect a lot of jump balls. Their 6-6 record is actually pretty indicative of the level of talent on that team to me personally. I think they are a 9-7 type team but have had the luxury of playing in a very weak division.

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Every team in the NFL has elite talent. Look at the difference better coaching made in this team when people said this team had very little talent.

I think the talent on the Chargers squad is overrated by most of the media. Rivers has been a playoff choker that throws up balls to 6'5" wide outs that collect a lot of jump balls. Their 6-6 record is actually pretty indicative of the level of talent on that team to me personally. I think they are a 9-7 type team but have had the luxury of playing in a very weak division.

Playoff choker? He has lost to Brady and Big Ben in the playoffs. Two Quarterbacks who are better than Rivers. You really are dense.

BigMeatballDave
12-07-2010, 01:49 PM

He doesn't have his team prepared to play when the season starts, and that fact is their downfall this year.Must be extremely frustrating for SD fans to know they have so much talent and have to watch Turner piss it away every season.

milkman
12-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the answer.

I disagree with you on the talent level of that team, but I do agree with the concept that coaching makes a difference.

I would say that the Chargers, as a team, have elite talent, but as a team they are medicocre because their coaching is less than mediocre.

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Playoff choker? He has lost to Brady and Big Ben in the playoffs. Two Quarterbacks who are better than Rivers. You really are dense.

You want to go look that up again?

Thanks for playing.

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
You want to go look that up again?

Thanks for playing.

Brady twice
Big Ben once
Sanchez last year

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Brady twice
Big Ben once
Sanchez last year

Right. He has a losing record in the playoffs. The loss to Sanchez was at home. And Rivers sucked.

Anything else?

DaneMcCloud
12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
I think they are a 9-7 type team but have had the luxury of playing in a very weak division.

San Diego is 1-3 in the division

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 01:59 PM
San Diego is 1-3 in the division

Well the division has been slightly more competitive this season. Two of those three losses came by way of an improved Raider team. The other an obviously improved Chiefs team. In years past the rest of the division was unreal bad.

beach tribe
12-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Every single game from here out is big, because any one of them COULD cost us the division. This is a huge game, and we really need to win it. This game, and the Oakland game, are both HUGE games. Man it feels so good to be able to say that just two seasons after Pioli was hired. We are going to be team that has to be accounted for, for probably the next decade. It's gonna be like the 90s all over again. Except hopefully we win some damn playoff games, and yeah, a SuperBowl.

milkman
12-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Brady twice
Big Ben once
Sanchez last year

I would argue that Norvel choked that game to the Jets with his gameplan.

At the start of this season, Tomlinson seemed to be showing the Chargers they made a mistake by letting him go, but over the course of the last 3 or 4 games, he's wearing down and not the sam eguy that started the season.

Putting that game in Tomlinson's diminishing hands last year was just dumb.

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Right. He has a losing record in the playoffs. The loss to Sanchez was at home. And Rivers sucked.

Anything else?

Holy shit he is 3-4 with 3 of thoses loses coming to Brady and Rothlisberger. Beating Manning twice. He just sucks ass then.

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I owuld argue that Norvel choked that game to the Jets with his gameplan.

At the start of this season, Tomlinson seemed to be showing the Chargers they made a mistake by letting him go, but over the course of the last 3 or 4 games, he's wearing down and not the sam eguy that started the season.

Putting that game in Tomlinson's diminishing hands last year was just dumb.

AJ Smith's biggest mistake was keeping LT and not resigning Turner.

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Holy shit he is 3-4 with 3 of thoses loses coming to Brady and Rothlisberger. Beating Manning twice. He just sucks ass then.

Why are you another Chief fan that is swinging off the nut sack of a QB that doesn't even play for the team you root for?

Answer me that.

Second, he has a losing record in the playoffs. Manning and Brady have to face each other and win usually? So does Big Ben. So are those guys playoff chokers or have they won the big one?

Rivers isn't in the same class as Manning, Brady, Brees yet he gets thrown in there all the time with them. It's silly.

milkman
12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
AJ Smith's biggest mistake was keeping LT and not resigning Turner.

I'd say second biggest mistake.

His biggest was hiring Norvel.

stevieray
12-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I'd say second biggest mistake.

His biggest was hiring Norvel.

Drew Brees is gotta be thrown in there, IMO.

DaneMcCloud
12-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Well the division has been slightly more competitive this season. Two of those three losses came by way of an improved Raider team. The other an obviously improved Chiefs team. In years past the rest of the division was unreal bad.

You're talking in circles.

The Chargers are a 6-6 team, period. They've lost a few games via special teams failures and they've lost a few games by being unprepared. They have as much talent as any team in the league but they're often poorly coached and ill-prepared.

Their 6-6 record has absolutely nothing to do with their division, as they currently stand 1-3 in the division.

The bottom line is that IF the Chargers are adequately prepared, they can absolutely destroy any team, elite or otherwise. If they're not prepared, they can be slaughtered by any team, elite or otherwise.

Which San Diego team shows up on Sunday is anyone's guess.

DaneMcCloud
12-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Why are you another Chief fan that is swinging off the nut sack of a QB that doesn't even play for the team you root for?

Answer me that.

Second, he has a losing record in the playoffs. Manning and Brady have to face each other and win usually? So does Big Ben. So are those guys playoff chokers or have they won the big one?

Rivers isn't in the same class as Manning, Brady, Brees yet he gets thrown in there all the time with them. It's silly.

JFC, have you seen the Chargers this year, outside of the MNF game back in September?

Philip Rivers is a legitimate MVP candidate. Without him at QB, the Chargers are a two win team at best.

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Answer me that.

What part of this doesn't your dense JUCO education head get doesn't get -
Playoff choker? He has lost to Brady and Big Ben in the playoffs. Two Quarterbacks who are better than Rivers.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=7236182&postcount=54

Rivers is about the 5th best QB in the game. But you keep acting like he is some major ass choke job when he has basically just lost in the playoffs to 2 of the 4 guys better than him.

SDChiefs
12-07-2010, 02:12 PM
As a fan of the Chiefs since 1969, I feel the same way. However, I don't think even all Chiefs fan will agree with you. I get the impression that the younger fans hate the Broncos more than they hate the Raiders.

Not me. I hate the raiders more than all else.

stevieray
12-07-2010, 02:13 PM
The bottom line is that IF the__________ are adequately prepared, they can absolutely destroy any team, elite or otherwise. If they're not prepared, they can be slaughtered by any team, elite or otherwise.

pretty much any team.

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
You're talking in circles.

The Chargers are a 6-6 team, period. They've lost a few games via special teams failures and they've lost a few games by being unprepared. They have as much talent as any team in the league but they're often poorly coached and ill-prepared.

Their 6-6 record has absolutely nothing to do with their division, as they currently stand 1-3 in the division.

The bottom line is that IF the Chargers are adequately prepared, they can absolutely destroy any team, elite or otherwise. If they're not prepared, they can be slaughtered by any team, elite or otherwise.

Which San Diego team shows up on Sunday is anyone's guess.

I'm not talking in circles at all. It relates to years past as well.

The last few years the Chargers had some unreal runs. In terms of wins. Not this year. And part of that is because the dviision has improved. So what part of that don't you understand?

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 02:18 PM
pretty much any team.

Fucking exactly.

The Browns beat the Saints and Pats for the love of god.

Saying "if the _________ are adequately prepared they can dominate any team" applies to every god damn team in the NFL.

So that's for that bit of earth shaking information Dane.

DaneMcCloud
12-07-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm not talking in circles at all. It relates to years past as well.

The last few years the Chargers had some unreal runs. In terms of wins. Not this year. And part of that is because the dviision has improved. So what part of that don't you understand?

The only thing that I "understand" from you posts is that you are a condenscending jackass that's reaching Mecca-levels of being unable to admit when you're wrong.

DaneMcCloud
12-07-2010, 02:27 PM
pretty much any team.

Not really. Anyone can beat anyone on any given Sunday but it's rare that a team can blow out teams by 20, yet turn around and lose by 14.

San Diego has four wins this season by 20 points or more and two of those wins have been by 30 or more. They're an odd team capable of blowing out a team like Indy one week, then losing by two TD's to the Raiders the following week.

Conversely, the Chiefs have three wins of 20 or more but only one loss out of three by 20.

San Diego's an uneven team. And poorly coached.

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 02:31 PM
The only thing that I "understand" from you posts is that you are a condenscending jackass that's reaching Mecca-levels of being unable to admit when you're wrong.

nomygawd

2009 afc west -
13-3 for chargers. no one else was above .500

2008 afc west -
not a single team in the afc west was better than 8-8

2007 afc west -
11-5 for chargers
second best record was 7-9

2006 afc west -
14-2 for chargers. Chiefs and Broncos were 9-7.

So for 3 of the last 4 years the Chargers played in a poor division in terms of competition, and failed to be able to beat the big boys in the playoffs. That team is vastly overrated in whatever terms you want to use.

DaneMcCloud
12-07-2010, 02:36 PM
nomygawd

2009 afc west -
13-3 for chargers. no one else was above .500

2008 afc west -
not a single team in the afc west was better than 8-8

2007 afc west -
11-5 for chargers
second best record was 7-9

2006 afc west -
14-2 for chargers. Chiefs and Broncos were 9-7.

So for 3 of the last 4 years the Chargers played in a poor division in terms of competition, and failed to be able to beat the big boys in the playoffs. That team is vastly overrated in whatever terms you want to use.

"Big Boys"? You mean like the time the time the Chargers went on the road to New England and lost without LT? Or the time they went to Pittsburgh and lost without LT? Or the time they went to New England and barely lost when Rivers had a torn ACL?

While the Chargers have been a disappointment this season, it's ridiculous to state that they're a pretender, especially when after an 8-8 season, they beat Indy.

If Spanos didn't have Alzheimer's, this team would have fired Norv a long time ago. Thankfully, he's still employed and the Chiefs have a shot at the division title this year.

stevieray
12-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Not really. Anyone can beat anyone on any given Sunday but it's rare that a team can blow out teams by 20, yet turn around and lose by 14.

It's still just football. Scores are always an abberition when it comes to absolutes about teams. No teams ever play two games that are alike.

You just never know what will happen. It's what makes the game so great

...any given Sunday is the absolute. we wouldn't bother otherwise.

TheGuardian
12-07-2010, 02:53 PM
"Big Boys"? You mean like the time the time the Chargers went on the road to New England and lost without LT? Or the time they went to Pittsburgh and lost without LT? Or the time they went to New England and barely lost when Rivers had a torn ACL?

While the Chargers have been a disappointment this season, it's ridiculous to state that they're a pretender, especially when after an 8-8 season, they beat Indy.

If Spanos didn't have Alzheimer's, this team would have fired Norv a long time ago. Thankfully, he's still employed and the Chiefs have a shot at the division title this year.

Ummmmm Brady and Manning and Brees led their teams to the SB and won it. Regardless of who was lined up in the backfield.

Anytime someone starts loading up the excuses that tells me all I need to know. So yeah, Rivers is a second tier QB after the guys who have done it all. He's not in that league. And he's not in the running for league MVP now after getting pissed on by the Raiders......at home......with the division on the line.

Let's stop pretending he's all that and bucket o chicken.

But since you did bring up Tomlinson and the playoffs let's see how he's done in the playoffs when he did play.....

2004 - 26 for 80

2006 - 23 for 123

2007 - 21 for 42, 7 got 28, and 2 for 5

2008- 5 for 25

2009 - 12 for 24

Yeah, Rivers was at a complete disadvantage without the post season wrecking ball that is Tomlinson. This really shouldn't surprise anyone as Tomlinson made a whole career out of running over shit run defenses and getting his shit pushed in against legit tough ones.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-07-2010, 08:26 PM

This game is big because we want to make a statement. That this year this is our division. And why make it interesting by losing? If we win all that has to happen is one Raiders loss and one more win for us to win the division title.

BIG K
12-07-2010, 08:48 PM

This. Maybe Oakland will be a big game, but if the Chiefs knock off the Chargers, it would prove to me that they can beat a good team, on the road, who just had a bad game against the on and off raiders.....

InChiefsHeaven
12-08-2010, 07:12 AM
SO, what, are we saying that the Chargers suck and that the Chiefs are a far superior team? I hope that's the case, but...the Bills should have beaten us at home...we've gotten better but I don't see one game on our schedule that I view as an automatic win because we ain't there yet...LEAST of all SD in their house.

Man, I really hope we can win this weekend because it'll take some pressure off. THat's huge for a young re-building team.