PDA

View Full Version : Life I got fired!

burt
12-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Most of you know that I moved to Florida to get my wife to a warm climate. She is only 37 and developed an arthritic hip situation that left her practically crippled in the cold weather of KC. I was leaving a great job, but figured that her health is more important than money. Besides, I figure I can sell cars anywhere! Man, have I learned a lot about the difference in dealerships!

First job down here was at a Toyota dealership. After about 6 weeks they offered me management. I explained that the current managers often worked 80 hour weeks. I explained that it was counter productive to work that many hours and that I would not do it. The GM stated that on occasion it would be required. I accepted the promotion. The first 2 weeks, I worked an average of 80 hours. I quit. Nice people, but if it is a routine schedule for management to work that many hours(for NOT that much $), there really was no way to change it, unless I was the GM.

Next, and last place was a Honda dealership. I explained to them in the interview, why I had left the Toyota store. They seemed very understanding and stated that I would NEVER be required to work that many hours, and the dealership believed in "family first". I took the job.

For 7 months, I enjoyed great hours. I was only averaging 45 hours a week. The managers weren't very good, but damn good hours, so I kept at it. The other sales staff were experienced and strong salespersons. I enjoyed them greatly. The managers knew everything. They were overbearing, condescending asswipes, with occasional kindness. Not a terrible work enviornment but not good. I HAVE endured much worse.

Well..... My 15 year old son with ADHD has been having behavioral problems at school. I was showing a nice older couple a CRV when my kids school called my cell. I told the customer that normally I do not take calls when I am with a customer, but my son was having behavioral problems and it was his school. They were very understanding and said that they'd look at the car while I talked to the school.

The school was explaining my sons latest poor judgement and all I could see was my manager in the office looking at me, yelling and waving his hand in the air like a madman. I told the school that it was a bad time and asked them if they could call my wife. They said sure. I reconnected with the customers. They were very understanding. They had a grandson with ADHD and had seen his behavior problems. They wanted to discuss the price of the car.

I sat them down at my cubicle, which is directly outside the managers office. I went in to get a price sheet, which prints in the office.

"I fucking don't believe you" said the manager smugly.

"You would have done the same thing if you had an urgent call from your sons school" I responded in a VERY angry voice.

"Oh, sure, it was urgent. Did you excuse yourself?" he asked sarcastically

"Yeah, I did" anger was dripping from my voice. "And you would have done the same, if it were you"

I guess the anger in my voice set him off because he jumped out of his seat and got in my face.

"Don't talk to me that way, and get your fucking finger out of my face!" Now if he hadn't jumped up and got in my face, my finger would NOT have been in his face.

"You would have done the same fucking thing" I stated again.....and yes it was said VERY angrily!

"Pack your shit up and get the fuck out of here!" he shouted. Now, remember, my customers were seated just outside the office.

I walked out of the office and told them I would have numbers in just a few. They were cool and said "great"

I walked back into the office and he yelled "PACK YOUR SHIT AND GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!!!"

I gave him a look that said I should kick the shit out of you and said "Okay",
walked to my desk, took out my car keys, and told the customers, "Jud will be right with you" and walked out.

The GSM called me and asked me to come back. He said, I would just have to discuss the situation with the other manager. I told him that the other manager was so aggressive that I almost felt that I had to defend myself and that would have been disasterous. I went on to tell him that no man had the right to talk like that to another. His statement was "I don't disagree, and I am glad that the situation didn't esculate"

I declined to go back to work there.

Prior to the incident, we had been discussing moving to the west coast of Florida due to the "New York state of mind" here. People are simply rude. Looking for a place now.

Garcia Bronco
12-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Change careers.

Pitt Gorilla
12-08-2010, 10:10 AM
It sounds like you have some support there. It might be worth another shot.

Titty Meat
If they offered you your job back you didn't really get fired. It sucks your manager was an asshole but you gotta keep your cool no matter unless you planned on no longer working there.

Rain Man
Bad bosses stink.

(And DaFace, my finger is on the neg rep button, so think hard before you post.)

tooge
12-08-2010, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't make it in the normal work force. This ever happened to me and I would be in jail for the night and he would be looking for a good surgeon to replace his fuckin nose. Rude people suck and need to be beatin into silence.

Al Bundy
12-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Most of you know that I moved to Florida to get my wife to a warm climate. She is only 37 and developed an arthritic hip situation that left her practically crippled in the cold weather of KC. I was leaving a great job, but figured that her health is more important than money. Besides, I figure I can sell cars anywhere! Man, have I learned a lot about the difference in dealerships!

First job down here was at a Toyota dealership. After about 6 weeks they offered me management. I explained that the current managers often worked 80 hour weeks. I explained that it was counter productive to work that many hours and that I would not do it. The GM stated that on occasion it would be required. I accepted the promotion. The first 2 weeks, I worked an average of 80 hours. I quit. Nice people, but if it is a routine schedule for management to work that many hours(for NOT that much $), there really was no way to change it, unless I was the GM.

Next, and last place was a Honda dealership. I explained to them in the interview, why I had left the Toyota store. They seemed very understanding and stated that I would NEVER be required to work that many hours, and the dealership believed in "family first". I took the job.

For 7 months, I enjoyed great hours. I was only averaging 45 hours a week. The managers weren't very good, but damn good hours, so I kept at it. The other sales staff were experienced and strong salespersons. I enjoyed them greatly. The managers knew everything. They were overbearing, condescending asswipes, with occasional kindness. Not a terrible work enviornment but not good. I HAVE endured much worse.

Well..... My 15 year old son with ADHD has been having behavioral problems at school. I was showing a nice older couple a CRV when my kids school called my cell. I told the customer that normally I do not take calls when I am with a customer, but my son was having behavioral problems and it was his school. They were very understanding and said that they'd look at the car while I talked to the school.

The school was explaining my sons latest poor judgement and all I could see was my manager in the office looking at me, yelling and waving his hand in the air like a madman. I told the school that it was a bad time and asked them if they could call my wife. They said sure. I reconnected with the customers. They were very understanding. They had a grandson with ADHD and had seen his behavior problems. They wanted to discuss the price of the car.

I sat them down at my cubicle, which is directly outside the managers office. I went in to get a price sheet, which prints in the office.

"I ****ing don't believe you" said the manager smugly.

"You would have done the same thing if you had an urgent call from your sons school" I responded in a VERY angry voice.

"Yeah, I did" anger was dripping from my voice. "And you would have done the same, if it were you"

I guess the anger in my voice set him off because he jumped out of his seat and got in my face.

"Don't talk to me that way, and get your ****ing finger out of my face!" Now if he hadn't jumped up and got in my face, my finger would NOT have been in his face.

"You would have done the same ****ing thing" I stated again.....and yes it was said VERY angrily!

"Pack your shit up and get the **** out of here!" he shouted. Now, remember, my customers were seated just outside the office.

I walked out of the office and told them I would have numbers in just a few. They were cool and said "great"

I walked back into the office and he yelled "PACK YOUR SHIT AND GET THE **** OUT OF HERE!!!"

walked to my desk, took out my car keys, and told the customers, "Jud will be right with you" and walked out.

The GSM called me and asked me to come back. He said, I would just have to discuss the situation with the other manager. I told him that the other manager was so aggressive that I almost felt that I had to defend myself and that would have been disasterous. I went on to tell him that no man had the right to talk like that to another. His statement was "I don't disagree, and I am glad that the situation didn't esculate"

Prior to the incident, we had been discussing moving to the west coast of Florida due to the "New York state of mind" here. People are simply rude. Looking for a place now.

Move over to the west side of Florida.. people on the east side are dumbfucks. Better weather and the gulf of Mexico is much better than the east side and the gulf of New Jersey.

blaise
12-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I never worked for a ca dealer, but I've worked at car dealers when I was with Enterprise Rent a Car and I've seen scenes like that. I wouldn't want to work for one. Almost all the guys were just stressed all the time and would chain smoke and drink coffee all day. And you could be a top salesman for a long time, and then have a couple of bad months and they don't seem to care what you'd done for them in the past.

Sofa King
12-08-2010, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't make it in the normal work force. This ever happened to me and I would be in jail for the night and he would be looking for a good surgeon to replace his ****in nose. Rude people suck and need to be beatin into silence.

well that was certainly rude.....

Al Bundy
12-08-2010, 10:16 AM
and yes that was a jab at the east coast of Florida. But seriously... that sucks, if I was those customers I would have left with you never to return to that dealership after hearing that crap.

burt
12-08-2010, 10:17 AM
If they offered you your job back you didn't really get fired. It sucks your manager was an asshole but you gotta keep your cool no matter unless you planned on no longer working there.

I figure I kept my cool. I didn't hospitalize him.

We were already discussing moving to the west coast of Florida. Every transplant from New York thinks that they are the shiznit and no one else knows shit. And they are rude about it!

burt
12-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Move over to the west side of Florida.. people on the east side are dumbfucks. Better weather and the gulf of Mexico is much better than the east side and the gulf of New Jersey.

You sure seem to have the knowledge of the east side! I really like the beaches on the west side!

NewChief
12-08-2010, 10:19 AM

We were already discussing moving to the west coast of Florida. Every transplant from New York thinks that they are the shiznit and no one else knows shit. And they are rude about it!

My brother-in-law used to live in Jupiter and run a Domino's down there. He hates those people (and the whole Yankee/New York/East Coast vibe) as a result of his time down there.

Brock
12-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Sorry, man. It seems that the car business has more than its share of raging assholes.

burt
12-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I never worked for a ca dealer, but I've worked at car dealers when I was with Enterprise Rent a Car and I've seen scenes like that. I wouldn't want to work for one. Almost all the guys were just stressed all the time and would chain smoke and drink coffee all day. And you could be a top salesman for a long time, and then have a couple of bad months and they don't seem to care what you'd done for them in the past.

Normally, I don't have problems with management. I am a professional, treat my customers with respect and represent the company in a good way. That gets recognized and most managers worth their salt will just let me sell.

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2010, 10:22 AM
i saw that jeremy piven movie and now i want to sell cars

burt
12-08-2010, 10:23 AM
My brother-in-law used to live in Jupiter and run a Domino's down there. He hates those people (and the whole Yankee/New York/East Coast vibe) as a result of his time down there.

I live in Jupiter and work in West Palm Beach. Oh, sorry, worked!

InChiefsHeaven
12-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Dang burt, that sucks. It is what it is, I imagine that's probably just the industry no? Hey, if you can go across state without screwing your whole life up, do it. Otherwise, it seems a bit encouraging that you have some support from the other managers there. That ship has probably sailed, but if there is still a chance, you might want to go back and in a more collected, less emotional way, explain not only your situation, but I'd highlight the absolute insanity and lack of professionalism of that guy. To go off on you like that with customers in ear shot...seems HE should be the one without a job.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Radar Chief
12-08-2010, 10:24 AM
You should've taken the job back. Nothing would tweek Asshole Manager more than having his decission to fire you overturned but the GSM.

Good luck in your search though, hopefully it turns up a better situation for you.

Fairplay
12-08-2010, 10:24 AM
"Jud will be right with you" and walked out.

Hey jud, don't make it bad. Take a sad song and make it better

burt
12-08-2010, 10:25 AM
i saw that jeremy piven movie and now i want to sell cars

I had a lot of fun at my dealership in KC. Basically worked their for 20+ years, with the last 8 as a manager. I had no job security issues, almost every day was a lot of fun!

Brock
12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
You should've taken the job back. Nothing would tweek Asshole Manager more than having his decission to fire you overturned but the GSM.

Good luck in your search though, hopefully it turns up a better situation for you.

The screwing around wouldn't stop there. I agree with burt's decision not to go back.

Deberg_1990
12-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Change careers.

or change wives and move back to KC.

I kid, I kid!! : )

burt
12-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Dang burt, that sucks. It is what it is, I imagine that's probably just the industry no? Hey, if you can go across state without screwing your whole life up, do it. Otherwise, it seems a bit encouraging that you have some support from the other managers there. That ship has probably sailed, but if there is still a chance, you might want to go back and in a more collected, less emotional way, explain not only your situation, but I'd highlight the absolute insanity and lack of professionalism of that guy. To go off on you like that with customers in ear shot...seems HE should be the one without a job.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Thanks man. Some of it is simply the industry, but there are great dealerships that refuse to be "stereotypical". Those dealerships tend to prosper.

I figure that I let enough of their stupidity roll off of my back. I am NOT going to put any job above family. He crossed the line and yes HE should be fired but he has been there for numerous years and is no danger of being fired unless he get caught shitting on the GM's desk.

One problem with car sales..... management tends to think "fuck the sales staff" I never felt that way.

burt
12-08-2010, 10:33 AM
The screwing around wouldn't stop there. I agree with burt's decision not to go back.

They really don't deserve me. Actually, if it weren't for the fact that the sales floor is so good, the dealership would fail!

Deberg_1990
12-08-2010, 10:35 AM
What i find amazing is how he lost his cool like that in front of customers. Completely unprofessional. I wonder if they lost the sale?

Sorry to hear about this Burt.

burt
12-08-2010, 10:36 AM
or change wives and move back to KC.

HHhhhhmmmMMMmmm......... I hadn't thought of that..........:doh!:ROFL

stevieray
12-08-2010, 10:40 AM

yup, that's a guy who cares about nothing more than the #'s, not burt, not the potential buyer..just himself....major red flag... also the same guy that gives car salesman a bad name.

If I were the customer, I would've gone off on that guy and asked to speak to HIS boss. pronto.

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2010, 10:44 AM
I had a lot of fun at my dealership in KC. Basically worked their for 20+ years, with the last 8 as a manager. I had no job security issues, almost every day was a lot of fun!

Im a sales manager myself so I understand how you feel. That guy is a dick, Im sure theres plenty of other places that will scoop you up with your background

eazyb81
12-08-2010, 10:49 AM
To play devil's advocate, did you really need to take the phone call at that second? Could you not have called the school back 15 minutes later after you finished your sale?

If it's not life threatening, i'm not sure why you had to stop a potential sale. Sometimes business comes first.

Personally, in my line of business, I would never leave a meeting to answer a personal call unless it is something major.

Fairplay
12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
What i find amazing is how he lost his cool like that in front of customers. Completely unprofessional. I wonder if they lost the sale?

The customers still purchased the car. The dealer said because of hearing that heated exchange they would throw in a pair of floor mats and an oil change at no charge.

blaise
12-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Normally, I don't have problems with management. I am a professional, treat my customers with respect and represent the company in a good way. That gets recognized and most managers worth their salt will just let me sell.

The problem I've seen at a lot of sales jobs is that they elevate a good salesman to a sales manager position, and the person has no ability to supervise. They can sell, but they're not a good leader.

burt
12-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Im a sales manager myself so I understand how you feel. That guy is a dick, Im sure theres plenty of other places that will scoop you up with your background

I believe that you are right.... but I have to overcome several obsticles in interviews. I have to prove that I am NOT a burn out. I have to illuminate that I DON'T have "manageritis" and that I am flexible to that dealers steps to the sale. But since that is how I am....should be no problem.

I asked the other desk manager if I should use him as a reference, and he said, absolutely, just have them call me on my cell. Should I trust that?

I know what my dealership in KC will say....

Fairplay
12-08-2010, 10:54 AM
To play devil's advocate, did you really need to take the phone call at that second? Could you not have called the school back 15 minutes later after you finished your sale?

If it's not life threatening, i'm not sure why you had to stop a potential sale. Sometimes business comes first.

Personally, in my line of business, I would never leave a meeting to answer a personal call unless it is something major.

Good point.

AndChiefs
The problem I've seen at a lot of sales jobs is that they elevate a good salesman to a sales manager position, and the person has no ability to supervise. They can sell, but they're not a good leader.

That's a lot of jobs really. Someone performs well at say, being an analyst, so they're promoted to a higher position with supervising powers. Some will be able to handle it. Others will not.

burt

WOW! You must have ESPN..... because that is exactly the case here!

burt
12-08-2010, 11:01 AM

I made a quick decision that didn't interfere with the potential sale. As a matter of fact, it increased rapport because of their experiences with their grandson.

My son has been having a lot of issues and I felt that it truly was that urgent. If I were in a meeting type scenario, or if I didn't have rapport with the customer, I probably would not have taken the call.

In essence, I took an urgent call, in a professional manner and it did not interfere with the sales process at all.

Al Bundy
12-08-2010, 11:05 AM
You sure seem to have the knowledge of the east side! I really like the beaches on the west side!

Born and raised in Tampa, the east side of the state is like.. well the gulf of New Jersey.

Iowanian
12-08-2010, 11:11 AM
It sounds to me like you're kind of a pain in the ass as an employee.

trndobrd
12-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Wherever you end up, be sure for the next year or so to send your old manager copies of your monthly sales numbers with a calculation of what you would have been bringing in the dealership had they not been so utterly ridiculous.

patteeu
12-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Sorry to hear your story, Burt. Hopefully, you'll find a better spot soon and you won't have to deal with an asshole like that last manager.

burt
12-08-2010, 11:15 AM

and you need to listen better!

The Bad Guy
12-08-2010, 11:15 AM

How would he know it wasn't something major? If it's your kid's school, you excuse yourself, like Burt did, and take the call.

Nothing comes before family. Nothing.

I'll assume you don't have kids.

burt
12-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Sorry to hear your story, Burt. Hopefully, you'll find a better spot soon and you won't have to deal with an asshole like that last manager.

Thank you patteeu.

Iowanian
12-08-2010, 11:21 AM

The way I read your post, you have a habit of telling your employer what you will and won't do. The way I read your post, you did something that would have caught the attention of most any manager by taking a personal call during a client meeting. I think the manager had every right to call you out on that. The way I read your post, you're the one who responded to that "angrily" and you're the one who escalated the situation to shouting.

He shouldn't have taken it in front of the clients, and HIS manager should address that situation, but given what reads to me like your lack of ability to be reprimanded, they probably had the right to send you packing.

Good luck landing a more satisfying position.

mnchiefsguy
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Best of luck moving and finding new work, sounds like anything you find will be better than what you left..so you can only move up. :)

Deberg_1990
12-08-2010, 11:31 AM
"I ****ing don't believe you" said the manager smugly.

Why would he question you like that? It sounds like you two might have had some bad history together prior to this incident?

burt
12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Why would he question you like that? It sounds like you two might have had some bad history together prior to this incident?

No. But some less professional sales personel, have, in the past, took non urgent calls when with a customer.

eazyb81
12-08-2010, 11:34 AM
How would he know it wasn't something major? If it's your kid's school, you excuse yourself, like Burt did, and take the call.

Nothing comes before family. Nothing.

I'll assume you don't have kids.

If it was major the school would leave a message and he could call right back.

Frankly, while it worked out that the couple was not upset, it is pretty unprofessional to interrupt a sales meeting to take a personal call, and I can understand why the manager would be upset.

burt
12-08-2010, 11:37 AM
The way I read your post, you have a habit of telling your employer what you will and won't do. The way I read your post, you did something that would have caught the attention of most any manager by taking a personal call during a client meeting. I think the manager had every right to call you out on that. The way I read your post, you're the one who responded to that "angrily" and you're the one who escalated the situation to shouting.

He shouldn't have taken it in front of the clients, and HIS manager should address that situation, but given what reads to me like your lack of ability to be reprimanded, they probably had the right to send you packing.

Good luck landing a more satisfying position.

Damn. As usual, you are right. I will go to them and ask for mercy and my job back. Thanks for seeing my downfalls so correctly.

I guess the 20+ years that I spent with my dealer in KC musta been a fluke.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Man, it sounds like you are a real dumbass.

Radar Chief
12-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Oh I know, and I probably wouldn't actually go back myself either.
Sure would be funny to walk back in with the GSM and a smug look on his face just to see the Asshole Manager silently boiling over, even if he walked out later in the day.

King_Chief_Fan
12-08-2010, 11:44 AM

see, I think you just proved his point and the fact that you see no fault of your own in this.

burt
12-08-2010, 11:47 AM
If it was major the school would leave a message and he could call right back.

Frankly, while it worked out that the couple was not upset, it is pretty unprofessional to interrupt a sales meeting to take a personal call, and I can understand why the manager would be upset.

I would agree with you but for a few facts. I excused myself in a professional manner. It created common ground due to their experiences with their grandson. Oh, and I also believe that there are situational exceptions to every rule. Given that I had established myself as a competent professional, with very few issues, I would expect to be given a benefit of doubt.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2010, 11:48 AM
I would agree with you but for a few facts. I excused myself in a professional manner. It created common ground due to their experiences with their grandson. Oh, and I also believe that there are situational exceptions to every rule. Given that I had established myself as a competent professional, with very few issues, I would expect to be given a benefit of doubt.

Yep. Complete dumbass.

Iowanian
12-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Damn. As usual, you are right. I will go to them and ask for mercy and my job back. Thanks for seeing my downfalls so correctly.

I guess the 20+ years that I spent with my dealer in KC musta been a fluke.

Yeah. You're not a dick at all.

You did something they likely would have called any salesman out on...and you reacted with belligerence by your own account.
That's not professional.

My point was, you need to see your fault in this, and learn from it too. If you don't think you are at any fault in this situation, it's destined to repeat itself. Maybe you can find a job shoveling elephant shit at the zoo and put that violent rage to work, hulk.

burt
12-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Man, it sounds like you are a real dumbass.

do you really want to go there?

Buck
12-08-2010, 11:52 AM
If this entire story is true I would do this.

1. Hire Lawyer
2. Tell Lawyer what you just told us
3. ??????
4. Profit

Iowanian
12-08-2010, 11:53 AM
"you wouldn't like me when I'm angry, sauldo!"

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHOIsZO-cgBOcQdHvnFcXtB2qMgAgj-4PHHa1OsXpUczN0USAA

"Burt, we need you to work on cleaning up your penmanship on documents"

"HUUUUUUUUUUUUUULK SMAAAAAAAAAASH"

burt
12-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Yep. Complete dumbass.

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. Except my wife isn't fat and ugly.

Buck
To the negative nancies in this thread.

When they hired him they specifically told him they were "Family First."

He got an emergency phone call regarding his son from his school, he answered it, he got fired. Doesn't sound like Family First to me.

Pushead2
good luck burt! pay no mind to the dickheads....

Sorry the jerkoffs from NY decided to move down there and bother you!

Iowanian
12-08-2010, 11:55 AM

He got an emergency phone call regarding his son from his school, he answered it, he got fired. Doesn't sound like Family First to me.

I don't see that he was fired for the phone call. He was fired for screaming "angrily" at his supervisor.

Brock
12-08-2010, 11:56 AM

You're nuts. You don't talk to a subordinate like that in front of the customer. That's absolutely crazy and a firing offense.

burt
12-08-2010, 11:56 AM
If this entire story is true I would do this.

1. Hire Lawyer
2. Tell Lawyer what you just told us
3. ??????
4. Profit

Florida is "right to work". And I don't have enough to establish hostile work place, by law. Even tho it was pretty damn hostile.

Buck
12-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't see that he was fired for the phone call. He was fired for screaming "angrily" at his supervisor.

Yeah well the boss should have been understanding when he heard it was an emergency call from his son's school. That would be the definition of "Family First."

Iowanian
12-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I think the supervisor in question should be shown the road too. The yelling in front of a customer is unacceptable.....as is responding with Fuuuuuuuuuuuuurious Anger when your supervisor calls you out for breaking a policy.

burt
12-08-2010, 11:58 AM

See, I knew you should listen better. No where, in my post, did I say that I screamed. I never raised my voice to the man. I just had an angry tone.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. Except my wife isn't fat and ugly.

Yeah, that worked out well for you, too. How many cocks other than yours have penetrated your wife in the past 10 years?

Radar Chief
12-08-2010, 11:59 AM
If I'm getting a call at work from my son's school I assume right off the bat that it's an emergency and I'll take the call even if I have to excuse myself from a meeting. :shrug:

Saulbadguy
12-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah well the boss should have been understanding when he heard it was an emergency call from his son's school. That would be the definition of "Family First."

An emergency? His son is 15 years old and obviously a dumbass, like his father. How that constitutes an emergency, I have no clue.

eazyb81

In my view, "Family First" means you can take a few hours off to go to your kid's play or can schedule to leave early on Thursdays to help coach your kid's baseball team.

It does not mean you can leave in the middle of a sales meeting, potentially endangering a big sale, to take personal phone calls. That is incredibly unprofessional.

Buck
Yeah, that worked out well for you, too. How many cocks other than yours have penetrated your wife in the past 10 years?

Tell me, when have you ever once not answered the phone immediately when you saw it was your child's school?

Brock
12-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Wow.

burt
good luck burt! pay no mind to the dickheads....

Sorry the jerkoffs from NY decided to move down there and bother you!

Would you please take them back? Then I would be much happier. Only thing is....they are probably asswipes when they are in New York, too.

Saulbadguy
Tell me, when have you ever once not answered the phone immediately when you saw it was your child's school?

I don't have a child. If I had a child I would immediately answer the phone. If I had a dumbass 15 year old teenager I would let it go to voicemail.

Buck
12-08-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't have a child. If I had a child I would immediately answer the phone. If I had a dumbass 15 year old teenager I would let it go to voicemail.

For some reason I always thought you had kids.

I don't either, but no matter what I would answer the phone on the first ring if my kids school called me, NO MATTER WHAT.

burt
12-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Wow.

It's actually the shot that I expected. It's good to know that he pays close attention to me. Guess if I married a fat ugly woman, no other man would want her!

Saulbadguy
12-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I don't either, but no matter what I would answer the phone on the first ring if my kids school called me, NO MATTER WHAT.

That's what separates the successful from the non-successful.

Pushead2
12-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Would you please take them back? Then I would be much happier. Only thing is....they are probably asswipes when they are in New York, too.

it depends - we don't want most of them back :p.....there are some good people that are polite, but it's the nature of the beast here. It's not meant for everyone & that aspect about the 5 boroughs I hate.

Buck

I truly hope you are being facetious.

Saulbadguy
It's actually the shot that I expected. It's good to know that he pays close attention to me. Guess if I married a fat ugly woman, no other man would want her!

Yes, i'm supremely jealous of your situation.

King_Chief_Fan

the phone call didn't get him canned. His attitude and how he handled the exhcange did

Radar Chief
12-08-2010, 12:06 PM

Depends on what you call "success". Personally I wouldn't call putting work before family a "successful" life strategy.

Buck
12-08-2010, 12:06 PM
the phone call didn't get him canned. His attitude and how he handled the exhcange did

What is he just supposed to act like a fucking coward when his boss gets all power-trippy over something incredible stupid.

Have some fucking compassion people, the world would be a better place if everyone did.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2010, 12:09 PM
What is he just supposed to act like a fucking coward when his boss gets all power-trippy over something incredible stupid.

It all depends on how much he valued his employment. Dumbass car deals are a dime a dozen.

burt
12-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Depends on what you call "success". Personally I wouldn't call putting work before family a "successful" life strategy.

Dude, you can't argue Sauls success. He has climbed to the heights of his industry. I just worked at the same ol' dealership for 20 years with out a single mishap, and managed there for 8 years...basically in charge of 14 million in inventory. Yeah...I will never be successful. Sauls the man!

Buck
12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
It all depends on how much he valued his employment. Dumbass car deals are a dime a dozen.

I think its clear that you and burt have some kind of personal vendetta towards eachother, so I haven't really taken anything you've said seriously.

So yeah, Compassion FTW.

Saulbadguy
Dude, you can't argue Sauls success. He has climbed to the heights of his industry. I just worked at the same ol' dealership for 20 years with out a single mishap, and managed there for 8 years...basically in charge of 14 million in inventory. Yeah...I will never be successful. Sauls the man!

:LOL:

eazyb81
What is he just supposed to act like a ****ing coward when his boss gets all power-trippy over something incredible stupid.

Have some ****ing compassion people, the world would be a better place if everyone did.

Yeah, much better move to yell at your boss and get fired during a recession when you are the only means of income for your family.

He's nobody's punk bitch though.

Saulbadguy
I think its clear that you and burt have some kind of personal vendetta towards eachother, so I haven't really taken anything you've said seriously.

So yeah, Compassion FTW.

Yes, he is an entertaining target.

burt
12-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Yes, he is an entertaining target.

Nothing like kicking a guy when he's down. 'Specially from the safety of behind a keyboard. You go, Mr. Successful. But only you know how bad you have it. So I forgive you your stupid remarks. You deserve pity.

MahiMike
12-08-2010, 12:16 PM
We keep all the rude yankees down south. Once you get north of West Palm it gets better. Orlando, Jax even Tampa is better.

HemiEd
12-08-2010, 12:18 PM

Isn't that pretty true with the car store business in general? Lots of pressure, with little to no security?
I dodged that bullet in 1982, almost went to work in that business at a VW store.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I have true and sincere empathy for anyone who has to work in sales.

12-08-2010, 12:20 PM
That Sucks Dale, but you handled that situation perfectly. I prolly would have lost it.

Where on the west coast are you looking?

burt
12-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Yeah, much better move to yell at your boss and get fired during a recession when you are the only means of income for your family.

Or, I could do as you suggest, and because times are hard, disregard all principles........ I forsee a great future for you and your lack of principles.

Oh and please show me where I posted that that job was the only means of income for my family?

MOhillbilly
12-08-2010, 12:24 PM
my mom has lived in the tampa area for years and loves it.

just sayin.

burt
12-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Isn't that pretty true with the car store business in general? Lots of pressure, with little to no security?
I dodged that bullet in 1982, almost went to work in that business at a VW store.

Actually, in KC, I had significant job security at a great dealership. I just chose to take care of my wifes health over the security there. I was attempting to not be shelfish

burt
12-08-2010, 12:26 PM
That Sucks Dale, but you handled that situation perfectly. I prolly would have lost it.

Where on the west coast are you looking?

I think we have decided on a nice place, just East of Bradenton. A very nice place, just far from the beach.

AndChiefs
12-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Actually, in KC, I had significant job security at a great dealership. I just chose to take care of my wifes health over the security there. I was attempting to not be shelfish

I wouldn't want to be shellfish either.

But seriously, good luck.

burt
12-08-2010, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't want to be shellfish either.

But seriously, good luck.

funny mis type! A running joke around my house and I just accidently typed it.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Bwana
12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
You have to love the car business. If it's not the dickweeds you're working for, it's the pshyco customers. I have to tell you, I sure as **** don't miss it.

DonTellMeShowMe
12-08-2010, 12:39 PM

<table style='font:11px arial; color:#333; background-color:#f5f5f5' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='360' height='353'><tbody><tr style='background-color:#e5e5e5' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/chappelles_show/index.jhtml'>Chappelle's Show</a></td><td style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; text-align:right; font-weight:bold;'></td></tr><tr style='height:14px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;' colspan='2'<a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=24435&title=when-keeping-it-real-goes-wrong'>When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong - Vernon Franklin<a></td></tr><tr style='height:14px; background-color:#353535' valign='middle'><td colspan='2' style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; width:360px; overflow:hidden; text-align:right'><a target='_blank' style='color:#96deff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.comedycentral.com/'>www.comedycentral.com</a></td></tr><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:24435' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed></td></tr><tr style='height:18px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><table style='margin:0px; text-align:center' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='100%' height='100%'><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://shop.comedycentral.com/?v=comedy-central_shows_chappelles-show&SESSID=870783e1901f9dd5c2769413fc45aa24'&gt;Buy Chappelle's Show DVDs</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/chappelles_show/videos/index.jhtml'>Black Comedy</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=11909&title=hes-rick-james'&gt;True Hollywood Story</a></td></tr></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

crispystl
12-08-2010, 12:40 PM
See the thread below this one some guy is looking for anew car.

Bugeater
12-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Hey, what better place to be a shelfish than Florida?

Edit: goddamnit, someone beat me to it. FML

burt
12-08-2010, 12:42 PM
<table style='font:11px arial; color:#333; background-color:#f5f5f5' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='360' height='353'><tbody><tr style='background-color:#e5e5e5' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/chappelles_show/index.jhtml'>Chappelle's Show</a></td><td style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; text-align:right; font-weight:bold;'></td></tr><tr style='height:14px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;' colspan='2'<a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=24435&title=when-keeping-it-real-goes-wrong'>When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong - Vernon Franklin<a></td></tr><tr style='height:14px; background-color:#353535' valign='middle'><td colspan='2' style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; width:360px; overflow:hidden; text-align:right'><a target='_blank' style='color:#96deff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.comedycentral.com/'>www.comedycentral.com</a></td></tr><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:24435' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed></td></tr><tr style='height:18px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><table style='margin:0px; text-align:center' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='100%' height='100%'><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://shop.comedycentral.com/?v=comedy-central_shows_chappelles-show&SESSID=870783e1901f9dd5c2769413fc45aa24'&gt;Buy Chappelle's Show DVDs</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/chappelles_show/videos/index.jhtml'>Black Comedy</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=11909&title=hes-rick-james'&gt;True Hollywood Story</a></td></tr></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

LMAO

burt
12-08-2010, 12:43 PM
You have to love the car business. If it's not the dickweeds you're working for, it's the pshyco customers. I have to tell you, I sure as **** don't miss it.

Yep. Problem is..... historically, I have been very good at it.

Phobia
12-08-2010, 12:47 PM

This is a chickenshit low-blow, Saul. You take a low, low time in the man's life and hit him over the head with it because you're having a disagreement with him? Shame on you, Saul. I thought you were a better dude than this.

burt
12-08-2010, 12:50 PM
This is a chickenshit low-blow, Saul. You take a low, low time in the man's life and hit him over the head with it because you're having a disagreement with him? Shame on you, Saul. I thought you were a better dude than this.

Hell, Phobs, I practrically asked for it. I don't like him and he don't like me. It would have hurt coming from some one I respect...... like you! Besides, it's not so bad, just another hurdle. :thumb: Oh, and he is not a better dude than that!

12-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Hell, Phobs, I practrically asked for it. I don't like him and he don't like me. It would have hurt coming from some one I respect...... like you! Besides, it's not so bad, just another hurdle. :thumb:

I bet he wouldnt say it to your face though.

burt
12-08-2010, 12:52 PM
I bet he wouldnt say it to your face though.

um, no. I might respond with an angry tone.

King_Chief_Fan
12-08-2010, 12:52 PM
What is he just supposed to act like a ****ing coward when his boss gets all power-trippy over something incredible stupid.

Have some ****ing compassion people, the world would be a better place if everyone did.

No one said you have to act like a coward, but if you can't calmly relate to your boss without getting all huffy, you have some issues as well. I coach people on a regular basis on how to handle inter actions with thier boss and it has helped people to position thier situation without the hostility.

"Don't talk to me that way, and get your ****ing finger out of my face!" Now if he hadn't jumped up and got in my face, my finger would NOT have been in his face.

"You would have done the same ****ing thing" I stated again.....and yes it was said VERY angrily!

The world would be a better place if people excerise some civility and common sense.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Hell, Phobs, I practrically asked for it. I don't like him and he don't like me. It would have hurt coming from some one I respect...... like you! Besides, it's not so bad, just another hurdle. :thumb: Oh, and he is not a better dude than that!

I figured you would have melted down, but I didn't get that response. Props to you, I s'pose.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2010, 12:53 PM
um, no. I might respond with an angry tone.

Nor would you call my wife fat and ugly to my face, either. I'd probably call you a dumbass in real life, though, for yelling at your boss like that.

burt
12-08-2010, 12:56 PM
No one said you have to act like a coward, but if you can't calmly relate to your boss without getting all huffy, you have some issues as well. I coach people on a regular basis on how to handle inter actions with thier boss and it has helped people to position thier situation without the hostility.

The world would be a better place if people excerise some civility and common sense.

Gosh, I wish I were more like you and that people never pushed my buttons. You are as awesome as Eric.......

Phobia
12-08-2010, 12:57 PM

Nobody asks for that. There's a place where decency and compassion have to outweigh any disdain you have for a person. This is that place.

As a victim of an unfaithful ex-wife and a guy who tried to work it out for years before throwing in the towel, there's never been a lower time in my life. I'd rather have somebody say - "haha, your mother died." than go where Saul went. I've seen some really crappy things said and done on this site. Saul's behavior surprised me. I would not have been shocked to see someone like gochiefs say it.

burt
12-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Nor would you call my wife fat and ugly to my face, either. I'd probably call you a dumbass in real life, though, for yelling at your boss like that.

oh, I seriously doubt it, Mr. Keyboard tough guy.

burt
12-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Nobody asks for that. There's a place where decency and compassion have to outweigh any disdain you have for a person. This is that place.

As a victim of an unfaithful ex-wife and a guy who tried to work it out for years before throwing in the towel, there's never been a lower time in my life. I'd rather have somebody say - "haha, your mother died." than go where Saul went. I've seen some really crappy things said and done on this site. Saul's behavior surprised me. I would not have been shocked to see someone like gochiefs say it.

Yeah, but I was very lucky to know some people that supported me in my darkest times. And my family is still intact, that is what counts.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2010, 12:59 PM
oh, I seriously doubt it, Mr. Keyboard tough guy.

:thumb:

King_Chief_Fan
12-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Gosh, I wish I were more like you and that people never pushed my buttons. You are as awesome as Eric.......

Oh my buttons get pushed, but I am strong minded enought to not let them who do it know it.

Based on all your replies in this thread it appears you got what you deserved or possibly wanted.

burt
12-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Oh my buttons get pushed, but I am strong minded enought to not let them who do it know it.

Based on all your replies in this thread it appears you got what you deserved or possibly wanted.

You have me all figured out just by my postings on the Planet. Strong minded. Observant. Dang you are probably strikingly handsome and drive a Prius..........:rolleyes:

JD10367
12-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Back in the 50s or 60s you could've punched him out and moved on. However, on the other hand, in today's society, between your son's condition and the 5000 corporate behavioral rules he broke, you could easily get that manager fired for what he did. Even if you don't want to work there again, I'd sue and make their lives a living hell until that guy was out in the street and you got some reparations.

BigChiefFan
12-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Hang in there, Burt. Life's too short to take anybody's shit. He FIRED you, fuck him sideways.

Brock
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Back in the 50s or 60s you could've punched him out and moved on. However, on the other hand, in today's society, between your son's condition and the 5000 corporate behavioral rules he broke, you could easily get that manager fired for what he did. Even if you don't want to work there again, I'd sue and make their lives a living hell until that guy was out in the street and you got some reparations.

You couldn't get that manager fired for what he did, if he was going to be fired, he already would have been. Suing would be a waste of time.

DeezNutz
12-08-2010, 01:08 PM
It sounds to me like you were looking for a reason to leave because he essentially took the call, which you acknowledge isn't usually the best idea, only to tell the people to call your wife. Thus, you obviously didn't need to answer the phone in the first place.

Good luck with the move. I love the Gulf side of Florida and hope you find a good home there.

burt
12-08-2010, 01:09 PM

I am sure that you just stated something usefull, but I can't pay attention with that avatar.........

burt
12-08-2010, 01:10 PM
You couldn't get that manager fired for what he did, if he was going to be fired, he already would have been. Suing would be a waste of time.

Yeah, I came to that conclusion already.

luv
12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
You took the defensive. Not that you didn't have reason to, mind you. Are you generally quick to anger? You can defend yourself without getting angry. If he was yelling at you and causing a scene audible to customers, then there's a chance you could have come out of it with him getting reprimanded or fired. He got in your face, but only after you snapped at him. I think there's equal blame in this getting escalated into something bigger than it needed to be.

burt
12-08-2010, 01:15 PM
It sounds to me like you were looking for a reason to leave because he essentially took the call, which you acknowledge isn't usually the best idea, only to tell the people to call your wife. Thus, you obviously didn't need to answer the phone in the first place.

Good luck with the move. I love the Gulf side of Florida and hope you find a good home there.

For years, I have told customers to call my cell, and that I answer it 24/7 unless I am with a customer, because any customer that I am with deserves 100% of my attention. But with my sons problems, I make exceptions. And I believe that in most cases, I would be correct. I told them to call my wife AFTER I found out it wasn't pressing.

We had him on medication, but took him off about a year ago because it was affecting his appitite so much. He was 14 and hadn't hit 100 lbs yet. Chances are very good that we will have to get him back on meds.

Thanks for your kind wishes

tooge
12-08-2010, 01:15 PM

its very clear you dont have children. I dont care if hy kid is 5 or 15, if the school calls, I'm taking it. My kids dont have ADHD, nor do they have issues at school (yet), but that makes it that much more important that he took the call. It takes a man to make a man Saulbadguy. Until you have kids, you really wont understand, and I'm sure Burt gets this. BTW, could Burt have acted more civil? Maybe so. If my boss ever said to me "I cant fucking beleive you", I would have acted the same way. So would most men with any self respect. The way I see it, that guy lost a good employee and gets to start over looking for someone with the experience Burt had. You just dont talk to people that way. It's management 101. You talk to them like you would have your boss talk to you. That doesn't include the words "I cant fucking believe you"

DeezNutz
12-08-2010, 01:16 PM
I told them to call my wife AFTER I found out it wasn't pressing.

My mistake.

burt
12-08-2010, 01:18 PM
You took the defensive. Not that you didn't have reason to, mind you. Are you generally quick to anger? You can defend yourself without getting angry. If he was yelling at you and causing a scene audible to customers, then there's a chance you could have come out of it with him getting reprimanded or fired. He got in your face, but only after you snapped at him. I think there's equal blame in this getting escalated into something bigger than it needed to be.

You have met me. Remember, Nzoners bash? Did I seem like the kind that is quick to anger? I tend to get very angry every 6 to 24 months. It is so obvious when I get angry, that I go out of my way to avoid those situations.

Pants
12-08-2010, 01:18 PM

LOL. How do you know whether it's something major or not without picking up the phone? The school might have been calling because his son was seriously hurt or something.

Bugeater
12-08-2010, 01:19 PM
its very clear you dont have children. I dont care if hy kid is 5 or 15, if the school calls, I'm taking it. My kids dont have ADHD, nor do they have issues at school (yet), but that makes it that much more important that he took the call. It takes a man to make a man Saulbadguy. Until you have kids, you really wont understand, and I'm sure Burt gets this. BTW, could Burt have acted more civil? Maybe so. If my boss ever said to me "I cant fucking beleive you", I would have acted the same way. So would most men with any self respect. The way I see it, that guy lost a good employee and gets to start over looking for someone with the experience Burt had. You just dont talk to people that way. It's management 101. You talk to them like you would have your boss talk to you. That doesn't include the words "I cant fucking believe you"
And I bet this manager is one of those jackasses who always complains about not being able to find good help.

luv
12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
You have met me. Remember, Nzoners bash? Did I seem like the kind that is quick to anger? I tend to get very angry every 6 to 24 months. It is so obvious when I get angry, that I go out of my way to avoid those situations.

Well, it just seems to me that he was fishing. I said something he knew he shouldn't have, got the desired response, and used it to get rid of you.

chiefsnorth
While the boss is in the wrong too, the bottom line is that if he hadn't lost his temper he'd still be working.

Sometimes swallowing your pride makes sense. Or maybe some feel the unemployment line is preferable to having someone use a few curse words in your direction. I guess we all have our choices to make.

Saulbadguy
LOL. How do you know whether it's something major or not without picking up the phone? The school might have been calling because his son was seriously hurt or something.

Seems pretty unlikely he could help in that situation.

burt
12-08-2010, 01:21 PM
My mistake.

And while I am at it..... you don't know shit about baseball, either!

Me either!ROFL

luv
12-08-2010, 01:21 PM

That's what I thought...lol. It's not like he had a secretary who could screen his call.

burt
12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
While the boss is in the wrong too, the bottom line is that if he hadn't lost his temper he'd still be working.

Sometimes swallowing your pride makes sense. Or maybe some feel the unemployment line is preferable to having someone use a few curse words in your direction. I guess we all have our choices to make.

There are 2 sales managers, 1 GSM amd a GM. Both the other salesmanager and GSM called and wanted me to come back. I had planned on leaving within weeks anyway, so I chose not to go back. I am still searching for a dealership close to as good as the one I worked for in KC and I really don't like much of the attitude here in Palm Beach.

bowener
12-08-2010, 01:26 PM

Wow, Trent is quite the Jack-of-all-trades. He managed a #1 offense, and a #2 Pizza chain (which I like more than Pizza-slut).

REDHOTGTO
12-08-2010, 01:27 PM
i quit selling cars 2 yrs ago, dont miss a friggin minute of it, bunch o' assholes to deal with on both sides of the deal

burt
12-08-2010, 01:28 PM
And I bet this manager is one of those jackasses who always complains about not being able to find good help.

Kinda funny.... This particular manager will make you wait for numbers while he finishes the level on the game on his phone.

jettio
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't understand what this ADHD stuff is all about.

I think you ought to let this kid know that he better get his act together because of consequences like this.

Even if there is some brain chemical explanation for his misbehavior, I would think he should still have enough free will to try harder not to get in trouble and cause problems for everybody else at the school and with his parents.

Hang in there, sounds like you can find a better place to work, but I hope your kid starts thinking about what his own workplace future might be like if he does not find a way to not get in trouble at school.

ChiefaRoo
12-08-2010, 01:41 PM
They really don't deserve me. Actually, if it weren't for the fact that the sales floor is so good, the dealership would fail!

So how many cars were you selling per month, personally?

The Bad Guy
12-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Yeah, but I was very lucky to know some people that supported me in my darkest times. And my family is still intact, that is what counts.

Good for you dude. That's a big thing to overcome and I commend you for that.

The Bad Guy
12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Kinda funny.... This particular manager will make you wait for numbers while he finishes the level on the game on his phone.

Yeah, better off long away from there. It's completely hypocritical to do that, and then freak out at you.

burt
12-08-2010, 01:49 PM
So how many cars were you selling per month, personally?

Without previous customers or a circle of influence(people that I know outside the dealeship), I wasn't doing as well as I had hoped.... avg of 14. But I was selling quite a few of the higher end so my commisions were higher than most.

The Bad Guy
12-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Seems pretty unlikely he could help in that situation.

I've had to call a parent when an emergency arose because we would need parental permission to put a child on an ambulance.

burt
12-08-2010, 01:52 PM
I don't understand what this ADHD stuff is all about.

I think you ought to let this kid know that he better get his act together because of consequences like this.

Even if there is some brain chemical explanation for his misbehavior, I would think he should still have enough free will to try harder not to get in trouble and cause problems for everybody else at the school and with his parents.

Hang in there, sounds like you can find a better place to work, but I hope your kid starts thinking about what his own workplace future might be like if he does not find a way to not get in trouble at school.

My sons attitude problems are of great concern. He is very unmotivated. At this rate, he will be doing the 8th grade again. He is 15 and in the 8th grade because we didn't recognize his ADHD and we had him held back in kindergarten. We have tried bribery, punishments, including taking away priviledges, but we have not been able to get thru to him.

PunkinDrublic
12-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Yet another dispute that could have been resolved by antifreeze.

jettio
12-08-2010, 01:57 PM
My sons attitude problems are of great concern. He is very unmotivated. At this rate, he will be doing the 8th grade again. He is 15 and in the 8th grade because we didn't recognize his ADHD and we had him held back in kindergarten. We have tried bribery, punishments, including taking away priviledges, but we have not been able to get thru to him.

Is there anything that he likes to do or tries to excel at?

Sully
12-08-2010, 01:59 PM

I'm sure NewPhin would give better advice than I, but in my SPED experience those things never work. It's just a matter of working his interests into the learning and work... Something that too many gen Ed teachers don't take the time to do.
Add to that most people believing ADHD isn't "real" and it's an uphill battle.
I admire you for your priorities.

Dallas Chief
12-08-2010, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=burt;7239267]You have me all figured out just by my postings on the Planet. Strong minded. Observant. Dang you are probably strikingly handsome and drive a Prius..........:rolleyes:[/QUOTE

NTTIAWWT...:thumb:

ChiefaRoo
12-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Without previous customers or a circle of influence(people that I know outside the dealeship), I wasn't doing as well as I had hoped.... avg of 14. But I was selling quite a few of the higher end so my commisions were higher than most.

That's a working number. Sounds like you either have an anger problem or your boss was a duche. Good luck in getting a new gig.

burt
12-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Is there anything that he likes to do or tries to excel at?

Xbox.

burt
12-08-2010, 02:09 PM
That's a working number. Sounds like you either have an anger problem or your boss was a duche. Good luck in getting a new gig.

Well, I don't believe I have an anger issue. I didn't have many prolems at my dealership in KC, which I retained gainfull employment for 20+ years. I am only bringing up my tenure again, because I believe it reflects that I most probably do NOT have anger issues. Or maybe they were incredibly tolerant.

Fairplay

Oh please Buck, and anyone else who actually believes that they put "Family First" or "We treat everyone fairly." Its all jibber-jabber. Smile when they say that and just listen. Let the b.s. just flow through your ears without letting it sink in. Businesses can say whatever when you come in the door. Make you feel special, make you think you finally landed the dream job. Brings a tear to your eye.

Get a reality check, its going to be business as usual, you're going to see unfairness, people being treated different. Management having their favorites, letting certain people get away with stuff and you try to pull it and its a whole different story.

jettio
Xbox.

Oh boy, don't you have to pay attention to do well at that.

Maybe video games have something to do with ADHD in that it is intense and very clear rules and instant win/fail feedback, might make non-video game stuff too boring by comparison.

burt
12-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Oh please Buck, and anyone else who actually believes that they put "Family First" or "We treat everyone fairly." Businesses can say whatever when you come in the door. Make you feel special, make you think you finally landed the dream job. Brings a tear to your eye.

Get a reality check, its going to be business as usual, you're going to see unfairness, people being treated different. Management having their favorites, letting certain people get away with stuff and you try to pull it and its a whole different story.

Especially in dealerships

Fairplay
12-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Especially in dealerships

I can only imagine.

burt
12-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I can only imagine.

The GM's nephew worked there. It was amazing how he was selling double what the rest of us were selling and he's never met many of the customers that came in and asked for him. He was a fairly good salesman, and a good guy, but less than 1 year experience. Hmmmmmm. But I feel that will happen every where. No biggie.

Chiefs Rool
12-08-2010, 02:26 PM
I have a buddy that works for T-mobile and he just loves it and makes pretty damn good money. If you have a lot of sales experience in anything, that would probably help and it would probably be better than selling cars, unless that's what you like.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Oh boy, don't you have to pay attention to do well at that.

Maybe video games have something to do with ADHD in that it is intense and very clear rules and instant win/fail feedback, might make non-video game stuff too boring by comparison.

I was diagnosed ADHD as a child. School meant very little to me at age 15, video games meant the world. You may be on the right track, there was instant feedback. I could do very well at school, but didn't care enough to try.

Groves
12-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Losing your job anytime is a trial. Losing it after you've recently moved is larger, at the holidays is larger still. Sorry burt.

I'm just thinking outside the box here, you might find this helpful at future dealerships...

I think a regularly scheduled cage match between feuding employees would only boost sales, and increase staff morale. If everyone is getting along pretty well you could introduce animals or competing dealerships into the equation.

Nothing puts people in the buying mood like seeing men/women not training in the fighting arts going medieval on each other.

ChiefaRoo
12-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Well, I don't believe I have an anger issue. I didn't have many prolems at my dealership in KC, which I retained gainfull employment for 20+ years. I am only bringing up my tenure again, because I believe it reflects that I most probably do NOT have anger issues. Or maybe they were incredibly tolerant.

Cool, seriously good luck.

King_Chief_Fan
12-08-2010, 03:03 PM
You have me all figured out just by my postings on the Planet. Strong minded. Observant. Dang you are probably strikingly handsome and drive a Prius..........:rolleyes:

Well I am handsome:thumb:
Look, I do wish you well. I hate it when anyone loses a job, especially in this economy and this time of year. I just was trying offer a different perspective. do with it as you will, it is your business and your life, I get that.

Best of luck to you and your family

burt
12-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Well I am handsome:thumb:
Look, I do wish you well. I hate it when anyone loses a job, especially in this economy and this time of year. I just was trying offer a different perspective. do with it as you will, it is your business and your life, I get that.

Best of luck to you and your family

Friggin figures! And Thank you for the kind words.

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2010, 03:29 PM

This is the truth big time. Especially dickhead management that only cares about sales numbers instead of the actual clients.

Fritz88
12-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Take a shit in his office then send him this gif.

http://i.imgur.com/408BT.gif

DomerNKC
12-08-2010, 04:32 PM
You can always come home...

kstater
12-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Have some fucking compassion people, the world would be a better place if everyone did.

You've never had a career have you?

boogblaster
12-08-2010, 06:27 PM
management was always a problem of mine while i worked ... but guess someone has to do it .......

burt
12-08-2010, 06:52 PM
You can always come home...

So, you miss me? I have to stay in a wrm climate. Sorry you found out this way.

BigRedChief
12-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Prior to the incident, we had been discussing moving to the west coast of Florida due to the "New York state of mind" here. People are simply rude. Looking for a place now.We have about 8-10 people at our weekly Chief fan gatherings here in Tampa. Room for a couple of more.....:thumb:

I've not seen any rudness in the 5 months I've been done here.

1ChiefsDan
12-08-2010, 07:29 PM
My brother-in-law used to live in Jupiter and run a Domino's down there. He hates those people (and the whole Yankee/New York/East Coast vibe) as a result of his time down there.Wow, Trent fell on hard times. :p

DomerNKC
12-08-2010, 09:04 PM
So, you miss me? I have to stay in a wrm climate. Sorry you found out this way.Your hip is fine, not that a warm climate would help it if it hurt anyway.

BIG_DADDY
12-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Have you ever considered selling alternatives?

NewChief
12-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Wow, Trent fell on hard times. :p

Haha. Other brother-in-law.

burt
12-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Have you ever considered selling alternatives?

I did apply at the alternative store. Actually, I have considered changing products.

burt
12-09-2010, 08:28 AM
We have about 8-10 people at our weekly Chief fan gatherings here in Tampa. Room for a couple of more.....:thumb:

I have already anticipated attending.

Bob Dole
12-09-2010, 11:05 AM
This is the truth big time. Especially dickhead management that only cares about sales numbers instead of the actual clients.

Maybe your numbers wouldn't suck so bad if you stopped fucking around on the internet.

NOW GET BACK TO THAT UPDATE SCREEN IN THE CRM!

Jenson71
12-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Be calm, be cool, be collective. Never raise your voice, and speak only when necessary. Anger can be good, but showing it so outwardly can show a lack of confidence.

Not always practiced, but some good rules to keep in mind. Not saying you're a bad employee, either, and the manager seemed to handle it poorly, as well. I would expect more from a manager.

BIG_DADDY
12-09-2010, 11:35 AM
I did apply at the alternative store. Actually, I have considered changing products.

Seriously consider health clubs. I hired a lot car salesmen when I used to run clubs. Over 10 years ago the good ones were making 70k. You are around beautiful women all day. You made good money. You are in a healthy atmosphere. I can't think of any drawbacks from what you are doing other than you don't get a new car to drive every 3 months.

BIG_DADDY
12-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Be calm, be cool, be collective. Never raise your voice, and speak only when necessary. Anger can be good, but showing it so outwardly can show a lack of confidence.

Not always practiced, but some good rules to keep in mind. Not saying you're a bad employee, either, and the manager seemed to handle it poorly, as well. I would expect more from a manager.

STFU, what do you know about managing salespeople in a hard core enviroment?

Jenson71
12-09-2010, 11:54 AM

I know everything about it, because I'm on the internet.

burt
12-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Seriously consider health clubs. I hired a lot car salesmen when I used to run clubs. Over 10 years ago the good ones were making 70k. You are around beautiful women all day. You made good money. You are in a healthy atmosphere. I can't think of any drawbacks from what you are doing other than you don't get a new car to drive every 3 months.

Demo's were phased out years ago. Too much liability.

Jenson71
12-09-2010, 11:56 AM

And I've seen The Godfather so many times I can recite it at any point, and tell you what clothes the actors were wearing.

burt
12-09-2010, 11:56 AM

Douche ooops, er, touche.....

BIG_DADDY
12-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Demo's were phased out years ago. Too much liability.

If you consider the move let me know what area you are at and I will take a look at what is there. You will probably start making 36k out of the gates but within a quarter should be up around 50k. Let me know. WAY better job.

burt
12-09-2010, 12:01 PM
If you consider the move let me know what area you are at and I will take a look at what is there. You will probably start making 36k out of the gates but within a quarter should be up around 50k. Let me know. WAY better job.

Thanks BD

Jenson71
12-09-2010, 12:13 PM

That usually never works out.

BIG_DADDY
12-09-2010, 01:16 PM
That usually never works out.

Until 12 years ago I spent my entire life in the industry and now your dumb no experience ass is going to come in and tell me how it works, thanks. In sales when you go into another area you are unfamiliar with there is always a learning curve but then again you have probably never had a real job so I wouldn't expect you to know that.

go bo
12-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Nor would you call my wife fat and ugly to my face, either. I'd probably call you a dumbass in real life, though, for yelling at your boss like that.but inquiring minds want to know...

is she fat and ugly?

WilliamTheIrish
12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Hey burt,

Good luck. If you love the area then consider moving to the Gulf side. You seem to be able to sell (I was never good at it) and will land on your feet in good shape.

burt
12-09-2010, 01:36 PM
but inquiring minds want to know...

is she fat and ugly?

Yes.

burt
12-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Hey burt,

Good luck. If you love the area then consider moving to the Gulf side. You seem to be able to sell (I was never good at it) and will land on your feet in good shape.

Thank you. I am always optimistic.

go bo
12-09-2010, 01:49 PM
good luck man...

my wife has problems with her hip too, but not as bad yet [knock on wood]...

of course she's 56, not 37...

Jenson71
12-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Until 12 years ago I spent my entire life in the industry and now your dumb no experience ass is going to come in and tell me how it works, thanks. In sales when you go into another area you are unfamiliar with there is always a learning curve but then again you have probably never had a real job so I wouldn't expect you to know that.

I probably won't have a real job, but I've seen late night ads on TV which you sounded like.

Saulbadguy
12-09-2010, 01:54 PM
but inquiring minds want to know...

is she fat and ugly?

Neither, of course. :)

BigRedChief
12-09-2010, 04:54 PM
I have already anticipated attending.you going to be in the Tampa area this Sunday?

burt
12-09-2010, 04:56 PM
you going to be in the Tampa area this Sunday?

Probably won't be for another week or 2.

BIG_DADDY
12-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Probably won't be for another week or 2.

Clearwater is where I ran my first health club. We used to always meet in Tampa. It was a place called American Fitness on Gulf to Bay Blvd. Made a bunch of money there and did trade outs so got to live for free on the beach in posh hotels. It was the bomb dude.

mcan
12-09-2010, 05:41 PM

"I fucking don't believe you" said the manager smugly.

"Don't talk to me that way, and get your fucking finger out of my face!" Now if he hadn't jumped up and got in my face, my finger would NOT have been in his face.

"You would have done the same fucking thing" I stated again.....and yes it was said VERY angrily!

"Pack your shit up and get the fuck out of here!" he shouted. Now, remember, my customers were seated just outside the office.

I walked back into the office and he yelled "PACK YOUR SHIT AND GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!!!"

Jebus, Burt.

Sorry to hear your FLA experience isn't panning out as well as it could be. Good luck heading to the next place. I'm sure you'll do fine.

As for myself, I'm no longer at Superior. Starting at T-Mobile (selling phones and plans) in about a week. Selling cars was an interesting experience and I was thinking about going back there (as they told me the door would always be open). Despite the downside of selling cars, and the hours, and the occasional Scott-type douchebag (you know who I mean), Superior really was a pretty cool company to work for.

burt
12-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Jebus, Burt.

Sorry to hear your FLA experience isn't panning out as well as it could be. Good luck heading to the next place. I'm sure you'll do fine.

As for myself, I'm no longer at Superior. Starting at T-Mobile (selling phones and plans) in about a week. Selling cars was an interesting experience and I was thinking about going back there (as they told me the door would always be open). Despite the downside of selling cars, and the hours, and the occasional Scott-type douchebag (you know who I mean), Superior really was a pretty cool company to work for.

You and I both know that the manager was close to a trip to the hospital! You know that I can and will prosper. Oh, and you didn't mention what a joy it was to get to work with me!

seamonster
12-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah. You're not a dick at all.

You did something they likely would have called any salesman out on...and you reacted with belligerence by your own account.
That's not professional.

My point was, you need to see your fault in this, and learn from it too. If you don't think you are at any fault in this situation, it's destined to repeat itself. Maybe you can find a job shoveling elephant shit at the zoo and put that violent rage to work, hulk.

I see you've never worked in a professional setting, or you're one of those guys. When a douchey guido starts yelling in a subordinates face and disrespecting him, loudly, in front of a customer a line has more than likely been crossed. It just doesn't show any respect or class to do that in the open and I wouldn't have had any qualms telling a self righteous prick like that off either.

Al Bundy
12-09-2010, 08:40 PM
We have about 8-10 people at our weekly Chief fan gatherings here in Tampa. Room for a couple of more.....:thumb:

That's because you are on the right side of the state, not where Burt is, or as I called it "The gulf of New Jersey." If he can move over there he should without a doubt.

Iowanian
12-09-2010, 08:59 PM
I see you've never worked in a professional setting, or you're one of those guys. When a douchey guido starts yelling in a subordinates face and disrespecting him, loudly, in front of a customer a line has more than likely been crossed. It just doesn't show any respect or class to do that in the open and I wouldn't have had any qualms telling a self righteous prick like that off either.

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA. Whatever, Snooki.
Good luck with your climb to be a shift manager at Sack N Save.

If Burt would have taken his reprimand like an adult instead of mouthing off "Angrily" it would probably not have escalated to that level.

I'm a believer that when you make a mistake, you accept the consequences. If I screw up, I'll take a reasonable amount of heat, and in the past, that has included being shouted at.
IN 1993, I punched the owner of a company I was working for in the face a few times for calling me a one who sucks the penis twice in one morning, after I'd taken a couple of months worth of abuse for a summer job.

It didn't sound like Burt was happy there anyway, and I'm sure he'll land on his feet in a better situation.

Al Bundy
12-09-2010, 09:04 PM
HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA. Whatever, Snooki.
Good luck with your climb to be a shift manager at Sack N Save.

If Burt would have taken his reprimand like an adult instead of mouthing off "Angrily" it would probably not have escalated to that level.

I'm a believer that when you make a mistake, you accept the consequences. If I screw up, I'll take a reasonable amount of heat, and in the past, that has included being shouted at.
IN 1993, I punched the owner of a company I was working for in the face a few times for calling me a one who sucks the penis twice in one morning, after I'd taken a couple of months worth of abuse for a summer job.

It didn't sound like Burt was happy there anyway, and I'm sure he'll land on his feet in a better situation.

I'm not sure he did anything wrong. If he politely excused himself and the customers understood he should be fine. However if I was said customer and heard this manager behave the way he did I would have just left and on my way out made sure the manager knew why I was leaving and I would have let the GM know exactly why I didn't buy a car there.

Simply Red
12-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Insider Trading?

Simply Red
12-09-2010, 09:09 PM
just joking.

Iowanian
12-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Here is my point. He checked the phone to see who it was while in a client meeting. When I'm in a meeting, my phone goes to silent out of common courtesy because it's rude to check your phone. It shows that I'm not interested in what they're saying, at least on some level.

The guy was probably a smartass in his remark about taking a call, but some people work in sarcasm the way Ralphie Parker's father worked in profanity. By the OP's rendition of this story, it escalated after he "responded angrily" to the point his supervisor told him to take his finger out of his face.

I think the supervisor had a right to call him out on it if it is policy, I think by his rendition Burt could have handled it better and it wouldn't have escalated to this point. I also think that if the account is accurate and the supervisor shouted at him in front of customers, he should be in a predicament himself.

I wasn't there, I can only go on how many times I saw "Angrily" "dripping with Anger" "very Angrily" and "he's lucky he's not in the hospital" and assume that means a less than professional tone was given to his supervisor.

Too many people are looking for jobs right now, for employers to have to put up with that.

burt
12-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Here is my point. He checked the phone to see who it was while in a client meeting. When I'm in a meeting, my phone goes to silent out of common courtesy because it's rude to check your phone. It shows that I'm not interested in what they're saying, at least on some level.

The guy was probably a smartass in his remark about taking a call, but some people work in sarcasm the way Ralphie Parker's father worked in profanity. By the OP's rendition of this story, it escalated after he "responded angrily" to the point his supervisor told him to take his finger out of his face.

I think the supervisor had a right to call him out on it if it is policy, I think by his rendition Burt could have handled it better and it wouldn't have escalated to this point. I also think that if the account is accurate and the supervisor shouted at him in front of customers, he should be in a predicament himself.

I wasn't there, I can only go on how many times I saw "Angrily" "dripping with Anger" "very Angrily" and "he's lucky he's not in the hospital" and assume that means a less than professional tone was given to his supervisor.

Too many people are looking for jobs right now, for employers to have to put up with that.

I put in the "angrily" to be honest and fair. And you are correct, I could have walked away and composed myself. BUT, when it comes to my kids, I won't take too much shit. Oh, and the ONLY reason I checked my phone is because my son has been having so many problems. Normally, I simply hit ignore. Because, in the car business, you don't always know when you are boing to meet a customer, it's not like a "meeting" where you can turn your volume off beforehand.

I had put up with many other incidents of unprofessional behavior. Even in the car business, management must perform to a certain level. I put up with this BECAUSE it's hard out there. But there comes a time to stand up for your principles.

I have had the GM state in meetings that he'd punch our eyes out with an ice pick. Another manager there stares at you and almost everything that he says drips with sarcasm. I have had a manager their say that "next time" he'd punch me in the head. Which was stupid because I did nothing wrong but he knew the situation but wouldn't even listen to my viewpoint. And after all the years that I have been doing this, I do know right from wrong. Iowanian, have you been doing your profession for over 20 years?

My best customer in KC was from West Des Moines. He bought over 20 vehicles from me. I drove there, he drove to KC, and we even met half way. He didn't like the way the local dealer dealt with him.

Too many dealerships are looking for trained professional sales staff for an employee to have to put up with that!

Now, please remove your finger from my bung hole.

Marcellus
12-09-2010, 10:54 PM

I would think this is true except a large part of the people unemployed right now, not all but a lot, are the turds trimmed by companies during cut downs.

We have been hiring for over a year and the applications look like shit. It isn't any better than before as far as quality goes. We were excited to pick up some good people when other companies were cutting heads. Not working out.

There are also too many people sitting on their ass drawing unemployment (thank you government for continuing to extend that shit) not looking to find work, just playing the system.

my $.02

Iowanian
12-09-2010, 11:02 PM
They sound like jerks. I'm sure you'll find something better and I hope that you do soon. Good luck.

Param
12-09-2010, 11:04 PM
After reading some of the thread, it sounds like you were ready to leave anyway and you went out with a bang. GL on the west coast of FL though I think you do not have the right mindset for south florida or the east coast. Which is not a knock, it clearly is not for you.

DomerNKC
12-09-2010, 11:06 PM
wow, i never knew that this board runs on east coast time. That is odd.

Bugeater
12-09-2010, 11:08 PM
wow, i never knew that this board runs on east coast time. That is odd.
You can set it to whatever time zone you want.

patteeu
12-09-2010, 11:40 PM

:LOL: Outstanding!

Lumpy
12-10-2010, 01:52 AM
I expected to read something about you taking a crap on the manager's desk and giving the guy a 'Hitler' before storming out. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed in you, Burt. :harumph:

In all seriousness, that really sucks! Did he really think that screaming and cussing at you in front of customers is better than you properly excusing yourself to attend to family matters? What a dick! I'm sorry you had to go through that, Burt. :(