PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Twenty Years of Separation, Looney compares 2010 Chiefs to 1990

Deberg_1990
12-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Interesting comparision...

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Twenty-Years-of-Separation/c9333121-0fcd-4306-ad45-3b71ec03fff0

The similarities are startling. Some 20 years later, the Arrowhead cycle is churning out happenings that run eerily parallel to one another.

Go back to 1989 and you’ll see Carl Peterson and Marty Schottenheimer taking hold the reins of a franchise in desperate need of a culture change. In 2009, Scott Pioli and Todd Haley were hired to do a similar job.

Starting with the obvious, both first-year GM/head coach combos doubled their respective win totals from year left by the previous season. The Chiefs went from a four-win team in 1988 to an eight-win team in 1989 and from a two-win team in 2008 to a four-win team in 2009.

In year two of their tenure, Peterson and Schottenheimer began a string of six consecutive playoff berths from the 1990-95 seasons. That 1990 playoff appearance was Kansas City’s first since a 1986 AFC Wild Card Playoff Game loss.

“What I remember the most is that our offense was big into the running game,” Pro Bowl RB Christian Okoye said of the 1990 season. “We would run the ball and everybody feared us in that aspect. When we stepped into anybody’s stadium, they knew that we were going to run the ball and we weren’t afraid to tell them that we were going to run the ball. We ran it effectively and people respected us for it.

“That’s what actually helped us set up a passing game for Steve DeBerg and we were successful in doing that.”

Sound familiar?

DeBerg paired with a successful rushing attack to become one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the league, finishing the 1990 season with 23 TD passes and just 4 INTs. Those numbers, of course, match Matt Cassel’s totals through 13 games in 2010.

Running the football to set up the pass has made the Chiefs successful Haley’s second season. Much like that 1990 team, the 2010 Chiefs are knocking on the door of a playoff appearance for the first time in four years.

These similarities represent just the tip of the iceberg in a bizarre alikeness that separates 20 years of Chiefs football.

During Schottenheimer’s first season, he often utilized the rushing services of a young Okoye. The “Nigerian Nightmare” rushed for 473 yards in 1988 under the late Frank Gansz, but jumped out to his first 1,000-yard campaign with Schottenheimer calling the shots.

Jamaal Charles’ first 1,000-yard season followed a coaching switch from Herm Edwards to Haley. The second-year running back’s totals increased from 357 rushing yards in 2008 to 1,120 rushing yards in 2009.

Following Okoye’s 1,480-yard breakout season, Schottenheimer hit the free agent market to bring in another running back during his second offseason as head coach. It was there that the Chiefs found Barry Word to form a one of the league’s most formidable two-headed rushing attacks.

“When Barry came to the team, lots of people were saying that there was a running back controversy,” Okoye remembered. “I enjoyed it though because the thing is…I was the only running back running the ball and I was running it a lot. When Barry came, I knew that he was going to carry some of the load and kind of deflect some of my (hits).”

Again, sound familiar?

Thomas Jones joined the Chiefs fresh off Charles’ breakout 2009 season. Some of the same talk regarding a running back controversy occurred when Kansas City opened its 2010 training camp with Jones as the starter.

The addition of Word led to more offensive options and, more importantly, more victories in 1990. The team finished 11-5. Twenty years later we’re seeing the same thing happen with Charles and Jones, final record pending.

“(Word) helped out a whole lot and I didn’t receive nearly as many of the big hits that I had (in 1989),” Okoye said. “When Thomas Jones came to the Chiefs I was very happy because I knew that the running game was going to improve a lot and that it would help Charles improve and stay fresh running the ball.”

Just last week Charles said that he felt as healthy as he had all season and the Chiefs responded by giving him back-to-back 20-carry games. Charles, of course, returned the favor by going over the century mark on each occasion.

Charles has embraced Jones’ arrival, looking up to the 11-year veteran like an older brother. Though Okoye/Word didn’t share the same age difference as Charles/Jones, Okoye remembers sharing a similar bond of friendship with Word.

“Barry and I became friends right away and we’re still friends today,” Okoye said. “I’m still talk with Barry. We were in it together and a lot of times after practice we would go out to dinner. We developed a good relationship and understood where we both stood.”

Regime changes, win/loss totals, playoff droughts, rushing acquisitions and quarterback efficiency; those five areas alone connect 20 years of Chiefs separation with a raised eye brow. Those numbers, however, aren’t the only similarities between the two periods in franchise history.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone of Chiefs football….

Outside of the above, the 1990 Chiefs played Denver at home and San Diego on the road in the month of December. That team, like the 2010 version of the Chiefs, also went on a December road trip to play an NFC opponent.

1990 was also the last time that the Chiefs produced both a 1,000-yard rusher (Word) and 1,000-yard receiver (Stephone Paige). Charles eclipsed the 1,000-yard rushing mark two weeks ago and Dwayne Bowe sits 115 yards shy of his second 1,000-yard receiving campaign.

The alikeness goes even further if you’d care to nit-pick obscure stats such as second quarter scoring. Comparing those numbers from 1990 and 2010 yields an almost identical total and there are plenty more instances like these. When comparing second-year improvements between Schottenheimer and Haley, the list continues to grow.

For now at least, Chiefs fans are concerned about just one thing: a return to the playoffs. Chiefs Twilight Zone or not, returning to the NFL’s postseason tournament is dominating sports talk in town.

The Chiefs found a way into the postseason in Year Two of “Martyball.” Twenty years removed, the team is knocking on the postseason door in Year Two of “Haleyball”.

Mile High Mania
12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
So, in 2013 ... are the Patriots going to let a 36 year old Tom Brady leave town, opening the door for him to bring his 3 (potentially more) SB Rings to KC? Hmm... the similarities are just crazy to the 37 year old Montana in 1993.

Hammock Parties
12-08-2010, 10:36 AM
The 1990 Chiefs were also frauds. They only beat one team with a winning record all year and - surprise! - lost to a team with a franchise QB in the playoffs.

Goldmember
12-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Was Josh even alive 20 years ago?

Chief3188
12-08-2010, 10:40 AM
The 1990 Chiefs were also frauds. They only beat one team with a winning record all year and - surprise! - lost to a team with a franchise QB in the playoffs.

That is not really their fault. How many winning teams have they played? Or how about how many games have we blown teams out versus get blown out?

Reerun_KC
12-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Did you watch the games that year?

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Tyson Jackson is our new DT

Hammock Parties
12-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Yes and I kept telling myself "god, we are going to lose in the first round of the playoffs with Steve DeBerg. His stats are a lie! Get us a real QB!"

And then the next year he sucked.

tyton75
12-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Tyson Jackson is a bust, turn him into the next Okoye!

Coogs
12-08-2010, 10:59 AM

From Wikipedia...

With 2:28 left in the game, the Dolphins capped an 85-yard drive with quarterback Dan Marino's winning 12-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Mark Clayton. However, the Chiefs dominated most of the game, and took an early first quarter lead with kicker Nick Lowery's 27-yard field goal. In the second quarter, kicker Pete Stoyanovich made an NFL playoff record 58-yard field goal to tie the game. But Kansas City quarterback Steve DeBerg completed a 26-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Stephone Paige (who finished the game with 8 catches for 142 yards), and Lowery added two more field goals to give the Chiefs a 16-3 lead going into the fourth quarter. In the final period, Marino led the Dolphins to the comeback by throwing two touchdown passes: a 1-yarder to running back Tony Paige and Clayton's winning score. The Chiefs had a chance to win the game on Lowery's 52-yard field goal attempt with 49 seconds left, but his kick was just short.

Marino finished the game with 19 of 30 completions for 221 yards and two touchdowns.

A very questionable holding call on Dave Szott a couple of plays before the 52 yard FG attempt wiped out what would have given the Chiefs a much, much easier attempt to win.

You can watch the game on the Cheifs Classic Games site.

Sofa King
12-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Yes and I kept telling myself "god, we are going to lose in the first round of the playoffs with Steve DeBerg. His stats are a lie! Get us a real QB!"

he was good in Tecmo Super Bowl...

RippedmyFlesh
12-08-2010, 11:01 AM
The 90 raiders were frauds not the chiefs. 51-3 they lost to buffalo in the playoffs and we beat them twice that year.
1990 Chiefs
Scored 369 points (23.1/g), 6th of 28 in the NFL.
Allowed 257 points (16.1/g), 5th.
Differential of 112 points (7.0/g), 4th.
Takeaway/Giveaway Differential +26 (1.6/g), 1st.

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2010, 11:01 AM
fuck pete stoyanovich

stevieray
12-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Hank...Todd...four letters
Stram...Haley...five letters

...to the Camaro/ElCamino!!!!!

Hydrae
12-08-2010, 11:09 AM

You are how old? So you were how old in 1990 making these kinds of observations?

-King-
12-08-2010, 11:12 AM

WTF? Aren't you like twenty-something?
Posted via Mobile Device

mnchiefsguy
12-08-2010, 11:12 AM

We swept the Raiders that year, and they finished 12-4. Didn't we also beat Buffalo at home that year...or was that a year later. Still, we had at least 2 quality wins, and that playoff game was a heartbreaker.

Lzen
12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
We swept the Raiders that year, and they finished 12-4. Didn't we also beat Buffalo at home that year...or was that a year later. Still, we had at least 2 quality wins, and that playoff game was a heartbreaker.

The Buffalo win was the next season. They put a beat down on the high powered Bills on Monday Night Football. Oh, that was a lot of fun. :)

KurtCobain
12-08-2010, 11:27 AM
So, in 2013 ... are the Patriots going to let a 36 year old Tom Brady leave town, opening the door for him to bring his 3 (potentially more) SB Rings to KC? Hmm... the similarities are just crazy to the 37 year old Montana in 1993.

yup.

siberian khatru
12-08-2010, 11:34 AM
From Wikipedia...

A very questionable holding call on Dave Szott a couple of plays before the 52 yard FG attempt wiped out what would have given the Chiefs a much, much easier attempt to win.

Too many FGs, not enough TDs. Was very nervous entering the 4th.

On Clayton's TD, Albert Lewis went for the INT and JUST missed it.

And yes, the phantom hold on Szott. Nick needed those extra 10 yards. And a few years later, a phantom hold on Greg Manusky. Both cost us dearly.

KurtCobain
12-08-2010, 11:36 AM

You're a damned liar, the drafturbators nailed that franchise QB shit in your head just in the last year or two.

And you were what, five in 1990?

TheGuardian
12-08-2010, 11:38 AM

You are a fucking idiot.

Kerberos
12-08-2010, 11:51 AM

You are how old? So you were how old in 1990 making these kinds of observations?

Yup

He couldn't have been much older than 5-7 years old.

loochy
12-08-2010, 11:59 AM

He needs to blow up his elbow first.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2010, 12:18 PM
I think my dad lost a shitload of money on that game, betting the Chiefs money line. Serves him right, being dumb enough to bet on Marty in a playoff game, on the road, no less.

RealSNR
12-08-2010, 12:25 PM

And yes, the phantom hold on Szott. Nick needed those extra 10 yards. And a few years later, a phantom hold on Greg Manusky. Both cost us dearly.At least with Haley we don't have to worry about scoring too many field goals.

All or nothing, baby!

Steron
12-08-2010, 12:34 PM
From Wikipedia...

Was that call on an Okoye run? I remember watching that game screaming at my TV. Sigh.

Skyy God
12-08-2010, 12:35 PM
From Wikipedia...

That game still stings.

milkshock
12-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Was that call on an Okoye run? I remember watching that game screaming at my TV. Sigh.

yes okoye ripped about a 20 yarder that was called back for a phantom hold

12-08-2010, 01:02 PM
<---Look at Paul Maguire! Hey, some people are comparing the 2010 Jets to the 86 Jets. shit happens with success

ROFL

the Talking Can
12-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Matt DeBerg

didn't he sing "Who's Johnny"

Javabean
12-08-2010, 02:45 PM

Interestingly, that was the only TD Lewis gave up that season.

Demonpenz
12-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Then we are going to bring in Mcfadden from the raiders after he fueds with Al Davis

KCrockaholic
12-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Yes.

teedubya
12-08-2010, 03:51 PM

He wasn't even a FAN of the Chiefs until Montana... so he is talking out of his ass. :doh!:

reschief
12-08-2010, 04:21 PM
In 1991, DeBerg led the Chiefs to a wildcard victory over the raiders at Arrowhead. He played with a pin in his pinky finger, holding it together - a tough dude for a quaterback. I was there & it was one cold game! I still have my 1991 Chiefs Wildcard Playoffs t-shirt. I hope there's a reason to make many more playoff t-shirts now!

KChiefs1
12-08-2010, 04:51 PM
pinky vs appendix?

chiefqueen
12-09-2010, 12:19 AM
pinky vs appendix?

All we need now are pictures of Deberg's finder and Cassel's scar side-by-side.

12-09-2010, 04:17 AM
The Buffalo win was the next season. They put a beat down on the high powered Bills on Monday Night Football. Oh, that was a lot of fun. :)Damn right it was. Still my fondest memory of Arrowhead.

T-post Tom
12-09-2010, 05:08 AM
From Wikipedia...

Excellent post. :clap: (And great thread from the original poster.)

T-post Tom
12-09-2010, 05:15 AM

And yes, the phantom hold on Szott. Nick needed those extra 10 yards. And a few years later, a phantom hold on Greg Manusky. Both cost us dearly.

Wow. Amazing recall.

Frazod
12-09-2010, 09:01 AM
In 1991, DeBerg led the Chiefs to a wildcard victory over the raiders at Arrowhead. He played with a pin in his pinky finger, holding it together - a tough dude for a quaterback. I was there & it was one cold game! I still have my 1991 Chiefs Wildcard Playoffs t-shirt. I hope there's a reason to make many more playoff t-shirts now!

Makes me cringe just thinking about it. That was nasty.

He wasn't anything to write home about as a QB, but gets eternal props for gutting out the agony in that game.

notorious
12-09-2010, 09:22 AM
"1990 was also the last time that the Chiefs produced both a 1,000-yard rusher (Word) and 1,000-yard receiver (Stephone Paige). Charles eclipsed the 1,000-yard rushing mark two weeks ago and Dwayne Bowe sits 115 yards shy of his second 1,000-yard receiving campaign."

WRONG! Do a little research first. JFC

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/kan/stats?season=2005_2&qualified=