PDA

View Full Version : Life Question about Cover Letter

AndChiefs
12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm currently writing a cover letter for a mid-level position at a global company.

Generally I try to keep my cover letters completely professional explaining why I would be a good fit for the company and how I can help them. However, I grew up in a small town where this company was essentially the only employer. I saw how well they treated their employees and would be excited to work for them because of my experiences with them. In essence, while the job sounds great, I feel like I would be a great fit for the company as well.

Is it appropriate to speak a little bit about your past and what led you to apply to a company? If so, how much should I include? I fully intend to go into my qualifications of course.

Thanks.

AndChiefs
12-08-2010, 11:28 AM
As an example I currently put:

"XXXXXXX is a company that I have respected and admired since my early childhood."

I then go into qualifications.

Donger
12-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm currently writing a cover letter for a mid-level position at a global company.

Generally I try to keep my cover letters completely professional explaining why I would be a good fit for the company and how I can help them. However, I grew up in a small town where this company was essentially the only employer. I saw how well they treated their employees and would be excited to work for them because of my experiences with them. In essence, while the job sounds great, I feel like I would be a great fit for the company as well.

Is it appropriate to speak a little bit about your past and what led you to apply to a company? If so, how much should I include? I fully intend to go into my qualifications of course.

Thanks.

I wouldn't do more than a few sentences on that. The main goal is to show how you can fill a need they have and that you are the right person to do that.

AndChiefs
12-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't do more than a few sentences on that. The main goal is to show how you can fill a need they have and that you are the right person to do that.

That's what I was pretty much assuming. It's a struggle to differentiate yourself from everyone else and it's a hard balance to find.

Rain Man
12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I'd do that. Anything that will help create a connection.

Of course, the grass is always greener on the other side, so the odds are that your resume/letter will be read by at least some people who see the warts in the company, so I'd not be too effusive in your praise or you'll risk coming off as naive. I like your first sentence, and in order to put into context I'd lead it off with "As a person who grew up in XXXtown and encountered YYY company and its workers daily, YYYY is a company that I have respected and admired since my early childhood."

Donger
12-08-2010, 11:34 AM
That's what I was pretty much assuming. It's a struggle to differentiate yourself from everyone else and it's a hard balance to find.

Is this a sales position? If so, don't be subtle.

AndChiefs
12-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Is this a sales position? If so, don't be subtle.

Nope, it's a global leadership development program position.

AndChiefs
12-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I'd do that. Anything that will help create a connection.

Of course, the grass is always greener on the other side, so the odds are that your resume/letter will be read by at least some people who see the warts in the company, so I'd not be too effusive in your praise or you'll risk coming off as naive. I like your first sentence, and in order to put into context I'd lead it off with "As a person who grew up in XXXtown and encountered YYY company and its workers daily, YYYY is a company that I have respected and admired since my early childhood."

That's an excellent suggestion thank you.

Donger
12-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Nope, it's a global leadership development program position.

I like dictators and please know that I will be a loyal servant if you should secure the position.

AndChiefs
12-08-2010, 11:44 AM
I like dictators and please know that I will be a loyal servant if you should secure the position.

LOL. That does sound like the right thing to put there.

I'm sure they'll realize I'm already in the know so they may as well hire me. :)