PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs notes: Haley says KC lacks Chargers’ talent

Tribal Warfare
12-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Chiefs notes: Haley says KC lacks Chargers’ talent (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/08/v-print/2507978/chiefs-qb-cassels-status-up-in.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Chiefs coach Todd Haley said Wednesday that the San Diego Chargers have changed since the Chiefs beat them in the regular-season opener at Arrowhead Stadium, but one thing has not: Kansas City still lacks the talent the Chargers have throughout their roster, Haley said.

“They’re a highly skilled team, multidimensional offensively, defensively and special teams. We will have our work cut out for us,” Haley said. “I know we’re getting better. We’re just trying to ride our horse. We’ve got our blinders on, and we’re just really worried about the Kansas City Chiefs.”

The Chiefs beat San Diego 21-14 in a nationally televised game at Arrowhead Stadium. In the time since, Kansas City has emerged as one of the NFL’s surprise teams and the unlikely leader of the AFC West. The Chargers, after a 2-5 start, have pulled within two games of the Chiefs and have won four of their last five.

“One of the hot teams in the league right now,” Haley said. “We’ve got to be prepared.”

To prepare his team, Haley decided to hold practice in the team’s indoor facility, in an effort to simulate the warmer temperatures forecast for this weekend in San Diego. Haley said the team would probably practice outside today if temperatures rise in Kansas City.

Roster moves

Quarterback Tyler Palko was promoted Wednesday to the active roster, giving the Chiefs an additional option at a position in which they have gone with only Matt Cassel and Brodie Croyle.

Cassel underwent an appendectomy Wednesday, and his status for Sunday’s game is unknown.

“Not an ideal way you’d like to be (promoted),” Palko said, “but you’ll take it.”

Palko briefly spent time on the 53-man rosters of New Orleans in 2007 and Pittsburgh in 2009. He has never played in an NFL game.

Kansas City placed cornerback Jackie Bates on injured reserve, ending his season. He started two weeks ago in place of Brandon Flowers and hurt his knee in a game against Seattle.

The Chiefs also added rookie linebacker Micah Johnson to their practice squad. He spent time on the practice squads of Miami and the New York Giants earlier this season.

Injury report

Defensive back Donald Washington missed Wednesday’s practice because of an ankle injury. Free safety Kendrick Lewis also has a hurt ankle and was limited in the week’s first practice.

The Chargers had six players who didn’t participate in practice Wednesday: Linebacker Stephen Cooper (knee), tight end Antonio Gates (toe/foot), running back Darren Sproles (concussion) and receivers Vincent Jackson (calf), Patrick Crayton (wrist) and Legedu Naanee (hamstring).

Defensive tackle Antonio Garay (ankle), linebacker Brandon Siler (rib) and guard Louis Vasquez (neck) were limited.

ThaVirus
12-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Wow, I had no idea the Chargers were that dinged up.

NewChief
12-09-2010, 05:27 AM
That's a really bad headline, imo.

Earthling
12-09-2010, 05:35 AM
That's a really bad headline, imo.

Agree.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-09-2010, 06:09 AM
It's a ploy to lull them in to a false sense of security.

Crush
12-09-2010, 06:19 AM
Let's do it. Let's kill them.

InChiefsHeaven
12-09-2010, 06:50 AM
He in no way said what that stupid headline suggests...I hate that shit...

Extra Point
12-09-2010, 08:02 AM
He in no way said what that stupid headline suggests...I hate that shit...

An extra reason why KC journalists are on the outside looking in.

notorious
12-09-2010, 08:03 AM
The grass is green here on the field! Back up to you, Al.....

Zaiko
12-09-2010, 08:17 AM
terrible headline..

Bill Brasky
12-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Well when your article lacks journalistic input you gotta do something to get the readers...

Dante84
12-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Holy shit. The Chargers are hurting.

Offense
I think we rally around Brodie. Our O-line is better than he's ever played behind. We have the best rushing offense in the league. We will be able to spread their "8 in the box" by using Dex on reverses and passes to the flats. He's got a young and talented rookie tight end with great hands (I know he had Gonzo in 08, but still). They will have to respect the beast that Bowe has become.

Defense
Rivers is Rivers. However: He will likely be without his HOF Tight End. He will likely be without his TOP 3 Wideouts. He will likely be without his safety net/checkdown machine Darren Sproles. We have to stop the "bowling ball" early, because he is one bruising M'Fer when he gains steam.

I think we blitz the ever living hell out of Rivers, and force a few hurried passes and uncomfortable situations that may lead to turn overs.

I'm thinking we win this game 24-10.

InChiefsHeaven
12-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I think Gates may play, but he won't be at 100%. Tolbert is the key for them this week. If we can stop that little truck and get after RIvers, we'll be OK on offense. I don't think we'll be great, but we'll manage the game. Might be an ugly win like last week, but it's a possible win for sure.

keg in kc
12-09-2010, 11:19 AM
An extra reason why KC journalists are on the outside looking in.I could be wrong about this, but I've always been under the impression that the headlines come from the editor and not the writer.

The Franchise
12-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Holy shit. The Chargers are hurting.

Offense
I think we rally around Brodie. Our O-line is better than he's ever played behind. We have the best rushing offense in the league. We will be able to spread their "8 in the box" by using Dex on reverses and passes to the flats. He's got a young and talented rookie tight end with great hands (I know he had Gonzo in 08, but still). They will have to respect the beast that Bowe has become.

Defense
Rivers is Rivers. However: He will likely be without his HOF Tight End. He will likely be without his TOP 3 Wideouts. He will likely be without his safety net/checkdown machine Darren Sproles. We have to stop the "bowling ball" early, because he is one bruising M'Fer when he gains steam.

I think we blitz the ever living hell out of Rivers, and force a few hurried passes and uncomfortable situations that may lead to turn overs.

I'm thinking we win this game 24-10.

Rivers should have Gates and Floyd. I really don't see Gates sitting this one out at all.

Drwbllz
12-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Rivers should have Gates and Floyd. I really don't see Gates sitting this one out at all.

Gates played last week and I don't recall him sitting out all that much either. He'll be there, though he is dinged up.

Dante84
12-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Gates played last week and I don't recall him sitting out all that much either. He'll be there, though he is dinged up.

Post game talk was about how its getting worse, and how painful it is. Like a knife through his foot or something, if i remember right.

Even if he plays, he'll be about 60%, and more effective as a decoy.

FAX
12-09-2010, 11:45 AM
There may well be a conspiracy afoot, Planeteers.

I watched Haley's press conference yesterday and the question was asked by Gretz ... something about how, prior to the last meeting, Haley said they (the sparks) were more skilled and talented than the Chiefs and does he feel the same way now kind of deal ... Haley basically said "yes" and then retreated behind the horse and blinders response.

Today (unlike all previous Thursdays) his Wednesday presser is nowhere to be found on the Chiefs website ... at least, as of about 20 minutes ago ... it disappeared. Like magic.

I'm beginning to wonder of Looney is not part of the "Anonymous" gang.

FAX

Dylan
12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Interesting: This Web site has a lot of info about the strategic breakdowns on the field.

Seems, the best indicator is the rushing defense. The rushing defense has the most top teams that are in playoff contention.

The NFL Best and Worst Offenses and Defenses: Week 14 Rushing Defense is Good for Playoff Teams

Scroll down: Rushing Offense

#1 Kansas City Chiefs – The reason the Chiefs are a surprise this year is their rushing offense. It has stepped up to be the best in the league. Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones are a great combination.

Rushing Car Yds Avg TDs
Jamaal Charles 182 1137 6.2 3
Thomas Jones 187 765 4.1 5

http://www.armchairreport.com/2010/12/09/best-worst-offenses-defenses-week-14/

Rasputin
12-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Man, I hope Kendrick Lewis gets to be 100% soon. We play so much better with him on D. We got a tandumn in the back field with him and Eric Berry that is building into something special this season. I think with Kendrick Lewis and Eric Berry replacing the Page-Pollard duo, we have leap frogged years of developmental years and are just ahead of the game that way.

Our seccondary is just a strong point of our defense, with the passing era of the NFL being what it is. Didn't even notice a drop off of play with T. Danials stepping in for Flowers. That is major kudos to the coaching staff and Crennel as DC. I think we do got the tallent to compete with any body in the league at this point. We just have to keep things in check and think we will be just fine.