PDA

View Full Version : Misc -- I've fired AT&T wireless

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 08:55 AM
-piss poor coverage

-dropped calls

-inflated 'BS' charges causing my bill to total well over a hundred per month

-lackluster shipping on a hardware order, which was scheduled to ship out overnight, i've yet to receive my new phone, and it's been a week.

Hello Metro PCS $45.00 for unlimited 'everything'

My question is, What leverage will i have to get out of my current contract? They are a little more forgiving if your service has been shit, right? Anyone prematurely dropped out of a contract, recently?

Thanks ya'll.

Bugeater
12-12-2010, 08:56 AM
lol...good luck getting out of that. I went round and round with those fucking pricks for years.

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 08:59 AM
lol...good luck getting out of that. I went round and round with those ****ing pricks for years.

I'll pay them what is immediately owed, but nada beyond that - ..and If my credit is affected - I'm not above getting a lawyer, TBH. ... If needbe, rather give the $$ to them (attorney) - vs. AT&T.

Bugeater
12-12-2010, 09:03 AM
I'll pay them what is immediately owed, but nada beyond that - ..and If my credit is affected - I'm not above getting a lawyer, TBH. ... If needbe, rather give the $$ to them (attorney) - vs. AT&T.
And that's exactly why I will NEVER sign another cell phone contract again...it opens the door for them to treat you like complete shit and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

Bill Lundberg
12-12-2010, 09:05 AM
-piss poor coverage

-dropped calls

-inflated 'BS' charges causing my bill to total well over a hundred per month

-lackluster shipping on a hardware order, which was scheduled to ship out overnight, i've yet to receive my new phone, and it's been a week.

Hello Metro PCS $45.00 for unlimited 'everything'

My question is, What leverage will i have to get out of my current contract? They are a little more forgiving if your service has been shit, right? Anyone prematurely dropped out of a contract, recently?

Thanks ya'll.

They've gotten better. I quit them 3 years ago and I think I had to pay $200 to get out of the contract. I was happy to do so and sold my ATT phone for $150 so it wasn't bad at all.

Chiefs Rool
12-12-2010, 09:07 AM
I get out of my AT&T contract next month!!!! I will be looking elsewhere.

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 09:07 AM
well, they can't take blood from a statue, and I dare them to strike my credit. That's all. Thanks Bill, I'd gladly pay $200 after these holidays. They're getting their ass whooped by TMobile, Metropcs, and Sprint.

rockymtnchief
12-12-2010, 09:11 AM
This is just wonerful. AT&T just bought the Alltel service here and I've yet to hear anything good about them. I'm not looking forward to the switch.

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 09:13 AM
This is just wonerful. AT&T just bought the Alltel service here and I've yet to hear anything good about them. I'm not looking forward to the switch.

eehhhh, ya' never know though man, geography probably has at least 'a little' to do with it, it may be great there in Mt.

the Talking Can
12-12-2010, 09:14 AM
have sex with a hooker, you get aids

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 09:17 AM
have sex with a hooker, you get aids

she didn't used to be a hooker, though. Years ago, this girl wore Sunday attire and crossed her legs properly as she took her seat.

rockymtnchief
12-12-2010, 09:20 AM
eehhhh, ya' never know though man, geography probably has at least 'a little' to do with it, it may be great there in Mt.

Doubt it. We have one tower covering a 3200 sq. mile county and half of two other counties. I'd hoped a bigger company = better service.

IIRC, JD Powers review of customer satisfaction ranked them dead last.

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Doubt it. We have one tower covering a 3200 sq. mile county and half of two other counties. I'd hoped a bigger company = better service.

IIRC, JD Powers review of customer satisfaction ranked them dead last.

indeed

Spott
12-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Would it make you hate them more if I told you that it costs them hardly anything to provide cell phone service?

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 09:27 AM
it's beyond me (what has happened) - yrs. ago, they (cingular) were very good in the Atlanta metro.. But lately it's been really, really bad.

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Would it make you hate them more if I told you that it costs them hardly anything to provide cell phone service?

not once the equipment is in the sky, that's true.

Spott
12-12-2010, 09:31 AM
it's beyond me (what has happened) - yrs. ago, they (cingular) were very good in the Atlanta metro.. But lately it's been really, really bad.

Once SBC(aka at&t) took over, they have proceeded to run the company like the gestapo. They could care less about customer service and they treat their employees even worse.

jd1020
12-12-2010, 09:31 AM
I dont have any problems with AT&T, they are the best service there is in my neck of the woods. Then again, I have an HTC Aria, I dont have an Iphone. The majority of the AT&T customers have an Iphone... A phone that has a history of dropped calls.

Stewie
12-12-2010, 09:35 AM
AT&T has fallen off the cliff. This is in this month's Consumer Reports.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3059/cellphonex.jpg

Spott
12-12-2010, 09:36 AM
not once the equipment is in the sky, that's true.

The only part of the call that is in the air is the first mile or so to the nearest cell tower. The other 99% of the call is made over existing fiber/copper cables just like a regular phone call from a landline.

grandllama
12-12-2010, 09:38 AM
What took you so long? Fired them two years ago and never looked back.

Lex Luthor
12-12-2010, 09:46 AM
If Apple doesn't start allowing other carriers to provide iPhones, the Android phones are going to kill the iPhone in sales.

Of course, that might happen either way. I love my iPhone, but I'm starting to look longingly at the Android.

irishjayhawk
12-12-2010, 09:49 AM
If Apple doesn't start allowing other carriers to provide iPhones, the Android phones are going to kill the iPhone in sales.

Of course, that might happen either way. I love my iPhone, but I'm starting to look longingly at the Android.

I don't think they care. Google gives away their OS. If you give away an OS, it's pretty easy to rack up market share.

irishjayhawk
12-12-2010, 09:50 AM
AT&T has fallen off the cliff. This is in this month's Consumer Reports.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3059/cellphonex.jpg

I saw this the other day. Who uses US Cellular?

I've never heard of them, in the context of actually being a carrier.

JD10367
12-12-2010, 09:52 AM
There's a reason they made this:

http://y2kemo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/attDeathStar.jpg

My wife and I have AT&T but only because we don't pay for it. Both sets of parents have AT&T plans, so we're both attached to their plans for only $10. So I have a FL cellphone number, she has a NJ cellphone number, and we live in RI. :)

irishjayhawk
12-12-2010, 09:55 AM

My wife and I have AT&T but only because we don't pay for it. Both sets of parents have AT&T plans, so we're both attached to their plans for only $10. So I have a FL cellphone number, she has a NJ cellphone number, and we live in RI. :)

I actually straight up asked T-Mobile (our current carrier) if there would be a time I'd be cut off from the family plan due to age. They said nope.

I was like carriers ass rape you every which way to sunday (text and data especially) yet they didn't close this loop hole?

Spott
12-12-2010, 09:56 AM
I saw this the other day. Who uses US Cellular?

I've never heard of them, in the context of actually being a carrier.

I've been up to the mountains of TN and NC a few different times on vacation and the major carriers like Verizon and AT&T wouldn't have coverage, but all of the locals there had US Cellular because they the only company that had coverage there. I don't know if they are regional or if they are all over the US.

luv
12-12-2010, 10:13 AM

Besides a couple of dead spots between here and KC, I've never had any problems with AT&T. Been with them since they were Cingular. Of course, my phone needs are pretty basic and I don't travel much.

Buehler445
12-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Death Star is funnay.

jd1020
12-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I personally think AT&T's #'s are flawed. More than half of AT&T's customers own an Iphone, I think the latest study had the Iphone at 53% of the user base, and just looking at that phones history will tell you why so many people are pissed off. I watched my friend call his mother about 30 times one day, in the span of about 15 minutes, just to get a conversation in just because his call kept getting dropped. I've never had one dropped call on my Android phone.

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Their CSR reps have absolutely NO power, so they can't make unconventional lil' decisions or approvals - this is the problem with large companies. BTW, Is U.S. Cellular actually who's behind Metro pcs? I'd guess they are, but not positive w/o researching it.

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 10:27 AM
I personally think AT&T's #'s are flawed. More than half of AT&T's customers own an Iphone, I think the latest study had the Iphone at 53% of the user base, and just looking at that phones history will tell you why so many people are pissed off. I watched my friend call his mother about 30 times one day, in the span of about 15 minutes, just to get a conversation in just because his call kept getting dropped. I've never had one dropped call on my Android phone.

and that's certainly fair, i DO think the actual hardware equipment accounts for at least a little in the equation of the 'dropped call' --- here's the problem though, once the subscriber has an issue WITH those items, the subscriber THEN looks at their monthly rate, and then see that competitors are offering better RATED coverage for a much lesser montly rate. all of that and then you combine AT&T's lackluster follow-up....

Major issues, and The AT&T 'higher ups' had best be on their technology horseys, or they simply won't make it, it's happened before w/ technology tyrants.

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 10:31 AM

LMAO

WebGem
12-12-2010, 10:58 AM
I personally love AT&T, and I travel quite a bit. I don't understand why everyone else gets such bad service. I used to have Verizon and like AT&T better for a number of reasons. Maybe I'm just lucky.

morphius
12-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I personally love AT&T, and I travel quite a bit. I don't understand why everyone else gets such bad service. I used to have Verizon and like AT&T better for a number of reasons. Maybe I'm just lucky.
That is just the way it works, some people get bad coverage from Verizon, some people get nothing but great service, same for Sprint, same for AT&T. Some of it is the phones they have, some of it is just where a person goes, etc, etc.

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 11:43 AM
That is just the way it works, some people get bad coverage from Verizon, some people get nothing but great service, same for Sprint, same for AT&T. Some of it is the phones they have, some of it is just where a person goes, etc, etc.

True, variables a soarin' - BUT when shit goes south, someone better ACT like they care, @ a minimum.

GloryDayz
12-12-2010, 12:06 PM
I've never been impressed with AT&T, but when I tried Verizon (on the business side), I couldn't take not being able to do mail and be on the phone at the same time. And being an iPhone user, AT&T was my only choice. But I agree; they treat you like sh1t! Heck, try having an issue with a phone, then AT&T poops you over to LG, and LG says it's working as designed b/c it's built to the resellers’ specs. And only and Ahole like me found a way to get both parties on the line at the same time - and they HATE that! Oh, and talk to them about an iPhone taking 14 hours to Sync (!!!), all of a sudden, they know nothing, and Apple's F'n arrogant enough to not care either!! So it's crap from the get-go. They're about as bad as the airlines who can just rape you at will (and then claim it was all about "safety")...

What I've done is talk to my congressmen/women and asked them if they need help with either the passenger’s bill of rights, or the cell phone contractee bill of rights.

jd1020
12-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I've never been impressed with AT&T, but when I tried Verizon (on the business side), I couldn't take not being able to do mail and be on the phone at the same time. And being an iPhone user, AT&T was my only choice. But I agree; they treat you like sh1t! Heck, try having an issue with a phone, then AT&T poops you over to LG, and LG says it's working as designed b/c it's built to the resellers’ specs. And only and Ahole like me found a way to get both parties on the line at the same time - and they HATE that! Oh, and talk to them about an iPhone taking 14 hours to Sync (!!!), all of a sudden, they know nothing, and Apple's F'n arrogant enough to not care either!! So it's crap from the get-go. They're about as bad as the airlines who can just rape you at will (and then claim it was all about "safety")...

What I've done is talk to my congressmen/women and asked them if they need help with either the passenger’s bill of rights, or the cell phone contractee bill of rights.

I feel for Iphone users. I've never liked apple at all because you are force fed their trash. My friend tried to sell me on an Iphone and I told him to stick it up his ass. I was using a phone that I could have upgraded for the longest time just because it hand FM radio. That's my big thing since I ride motorcycles and bikes alot during the summer. Then I found the Aria. I think its like 1 of 2 smartphones that have a FM transmitter? Both made by HTC... Couldnt be happier.

Frazod
12-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I have AT&T. They're fine out here in the suburbs, but in Chicago, they suck ass. I can't use my iphone in my office building unless I'm in an exterior office. Since I have an interior office, that kind of sucks. Last time I was in St. Louis, I couldn't get my old iphone to work downtown at all, even OUTSIDE. I was bitching about it while some lady was walking past me, and she said "You must have AT&T." I guess when they draped that orange thing over the Arch, it blocked the signal. :spock:

Friday night my wife and I were out and started chatting with a lady who is a customer service rep for AT&T. I asked her about the cellular problem, and she said that since AT&T has so many more customers than any other provider, their network is overloaded in urban areas, but they're working on it. No timeframe, though.

Of course, this doesn't stop them from taking my money in the meantime.

I have AT&T for home internet and home phone, and all the alternative providers suck just as bad or worse, so I'm stuck with them. IMO, all of these companies have wretched customer service and charge too much. Just pick your poison and deal with it, I guess. Either that or yell out the window.

Simply Red
12-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I have AT&T. They're fine out here in the suburbs, but in Chicago, they suck ass. I can't use my iphone in my office building unless I'm in an exterior office. Since I have an interior office, that kind of sucks. Last time I was in St. Louis, I couldn't get my old iphone to work downtown at all, even OUTSIDE. I was bitching about it while some lady was walking past me, and she said "You must have AT&T." I guess when they draped that orange thing over the Arch, it blocked the signal. :spock:

Friday night my wife and I were out and started chatting with a lady who is a customer service rep for AT&T. I asked her about the cellular problem, and she said that since AT&T has so many more customers than any other provider, their network is overloaded in urban areas, but they're working on it. No timeframe, though.

Of course, this doesn't stop them from taking my money in the meantime.

I have AT&T for home internet and home phone, and all the alternative providers suck just as bad or worse, so I'm stuck with them. IMO, all of these companies have wretched customer service and charge too much. Just pick your poison and deal with it, I guess. Either that or yell out the window.

The carrier I NOW am with, have a very simplified plan, and this is huge. I pay $45 per month, and it's 'month-to-month' --- no ****ing BS charges, I've paid ATT :eek: $168 for one month, one time. :eek:

Frazod
12-12-2010, 12:35 PM
The carrier I NOW am with, have a very simplified plan, and this is huge. I pay $45 per month, and it's 'month-to-month' --- no ****ing BS charges, I've paid ATT :eek: $168 for one month, one time. :eek:

For home phone, DSL, my iphone with internet and my wife's non-internet cellphone, I pay about $200 a month. Seems high, but no worse than what I was paying before to different companies.

GloryDayz
12-12-2010, 12:43 PM
I feel for Iphone users. I've never liked apple at all because you are force fed their trash. My friend tried to sell me on an Iphone and I told him to stick it up his ass. I was using a phone that I could have upgraded for the longest time just because it hand FM radio. That's my big thing since I ride motorcycles and bikes alot during the summer. Then I found the Aria. I think its like 1 of 2 smartphones that have a FM transmitter? Both made by HTC... Couldnt be happier.

Every phone has its issues, the iPhones biggest issue is F'n Apple and their arrogant nature. Aside from thet, I love it. Use the Torch for work, and the iPhone for home, but I'm certainly looking at alternatives when this contract is up in a few months, but this time I might go a little longer and move the family in mass.

Shogun
12-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Im having issues as well. Atnt is shit, Verizon was shit. Tmobile was shit. Whats left, Sprint?

Frazod
12-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Im having issues as well. Atnt is shit, Verizon was shit. Tmobile was shit. Whats left, Sprint?

They suck, too.

BossChief
12-12-2010, 12:51 PM

just go online and unlock the phone and go through a GSM carrier with no contract.

Here in Iowa I can go through tmobile (called Iwireless here) and get a plan thats 70 bucks that does everything...internet, talk, text etc all unlimited without a contract.

If you dont want to do it yourself, you can usually find someone on craigslist that does the unlocking/jailbreaking for you.

Bugeater
12-12-2010, 01:03 PM
And therein lies the problem, if all your competition treats their customers like shit, then there's no incentive for you to do any better.

Archie F. Swin
12-12-2010, 01:18 PM
My wife and I will probably stay with TMobile because of the positive customer service experiences. We are tempted by the iPhone, but we have virtually no service issues with TMobile, so we likely have andriod phones in our future.

I've seen side-by-side independent tests of iphone 4 v Samsung Galaxy, and the Galaxy seems to have a very slight edge in loading web pages.

Valiant
12-12-2010, 01:34 PM
My wife and I will probably stay with TMobile because of the positive customer service experiences. We are tempted by the iPhone, but we have virtually no service issues with TMobile, so we likely have andriod phones in our future.

I've seen side-by-side independent tests of iphone 4 v Samsung Galaxy, and the Galaxy seems to have a very slight edge in loading web pages.

You can get an iphone for Tmobile.. Just have to buy online and have it shipped overseas from Europe....

No support for the phone though since it is being used in the US..

BossChief
12-12-2010, 01:37 PM

just go online and unlock the phone and go through a GSM carrier with no contract.

Here in Iowa I can go through tmobile (called Iwireless here) and get a plan thats 70 bucks that does everything...internet, talk, text etc all unlimited without a contract.

If you dont want to do it yourself, you can usually find someone on craigslist that does the unlocking/jailbreaking for you.

Lzen
12-12-2010, 01:37 PM
I have been with ATT for several years now (started when they were Cingular). Haven't had much problem. I did get rid of their land line and horrible internet service a year or two ago, but kept the wireless. My contract has been up for a month now. I want to get a new phone but I'm not sure I want to do another contract. I don't need an extravagant phone. The only problem is the prepaid phones they sell all suck. I want one that has a physical slide out keyboard. Can't do that touch screen texting.

Valiant
12-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Easiest way out is to see if they changed the contract in anyway lately and then say you do not agree with the new terms.. Do not say anything other then you do not agree with the new terms..

Say you are moving to an area they cannot provide coverage for.. Or turn the phone to roaming and make them pay tons of money..