mikeyis4dcats.
12-12-2010, 05:54 PM
now what?

LaChapelle
12-12-2010, 05:55 PM
I thought cocoa went in chili

bowener
12-12-2010, 05:56 PM
spray hot cinnamon scented shit tomorrow?

Fire Me Boy!
12-12-2010, 05:56 PM
How much did you put in?

headsnap
12-12-2010, 05:57 PM
throw it on some noodles and put a pile of cheese on top and call it a 3 Way...

mikeyis4dcats.
12-12-2010, 05:58 PM
How much did you put in?

undetermined, beyond "too much".

I was stirring it and the lid popped off.

I figured with 3 pounds of beef, it would be edible, but it isn't.

My guess....1-1.5 tablespoon or so.

cabletech94
12-12-2010, 05:58 PM
drink some more beer my friend.
beer fixes everything.

and palko FTW!!!!!

threebag
12-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Make cinnamon rolls and eat with your chili

memyselfI
12-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I did that. I put mustard in and that seemed to temper the cinnamon.

Fire Me Boy!
12-12-2010, 06:05 PM
undetermined, beyond "too much".

I was stirring it and the lid popped off.

I figured with 3 pounds of beef, it would be edible, but it isn't.

My guess....1-1.5 tablespoon or so.

:eek:

Anywhere near that much is way, way, way too much. Sorry.

My chili (which kicks ass, IIDSSM) uses about 2 pounds of meat and I never use more than about 1/4 teaspoon. You used 12X that much.

Truly not trying to rub salt in the wound, but generally it's a good idea to not go directly from spice jar to pot. Always use your hand or a spoon or something to "measure".

Chiefs Rool
12-12-2010, 06:05 PM
just add Sriacha to it, it'll fix it.

Chiefs Rool
12-12-2010, 06:09 PM
I made some "chili," but not technically chili, more like goulash or something. Whatever, it was good eats.

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 big can of black beans
1 big can of pinto beans
2 big cans of crushed tomatoes
1 small can of diced tomatoes
2 cans of corn
1 diced onion
5 cloves of garlic
1/3 of a bottle of sriacha
5 diced jalepenos
2 bottles of IPA beer
a bunch of paprika and black pepper

cooked on low for about 3 hours on the stovetop in a huge ass pot

topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream and some tortilla chips to dip with

easy and delicous!

mikeyis4dcats.
12-12-2010, 09:45 PM

Anywhere near that much is way, way, way too much. Sorry.

My chili (which kicks ass, IIDSSM) uses about 2 pounds of meat and I never use more than about 1/4 teaspoon. You used 12X that much.

Truly not trying to rub salt in the wound, but generally it's a good idea to not go directly from spice jar to pot. Always use your hand or a spoon or something to "measure".

yeah, normally I would at least not be stirring it today, but I was running behind after braving ToysRUs shopping before the game.

Bah, had to toss it. Leasson learned. My tongue will never forgive me though.

bevischief
12-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Lots of hot sauce.

Rain Man
12-12-2010, 09:58 PM
I did that. I put mustard in and that seemed to temper the cinnamon.

Mustard needs more carries.

Gonzo
12-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Anyone else put vinegar in chili? My old man showed me that when I was a kid. Absolutely delicious.
I think it was a St. Joe thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
12-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Sorry Gonzo, vinegar is disgusting. As a toddler, my mom used to put it on my back when I had a sunburn and pretty much since then, I gag at the smell.

Dumb question but why cinnamon? I prefer spicier more flavorful chili, What does the cinnamon "balance out"?

Tip: Always measure ingredients away from the pan or pot. You'll avoid many a disaster that way.

Sorry, Dude.

Gonzo
12-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Sorry Gonzo, vinegar is disgusting. As a toddler, my mom used to put it on my back when I had a sunburn and pretty much since then, I gag at the smell.

Dumb question but why cinnamon? I prefer spicier more flavorful chili, What does the cinnamon "balance out"?

Tip: Always measure ingredients away from the pan or pot. You'll avoid many a disaster that way.

Sorry, Dude.

I thought the same thing before I tried it. It does something chemically to make traditional Chili taste awesome.

Now then Cinnamon is something I've never heard of either.

Speaking of weird shit like that. I saw this dude at my work put that hot sauce with the wooden cap, (Chuhola or something?) On watermelon. I shit you not. He said it makes watermelon turn super sweet basically. I've been wanting to try it.
Posted via Mobile Device

WV
12-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Cinnamon in Chili doesn't sound good to me, but I suppose it's not really supposed to lend it's true cinnamon flavor.....vinegar sounds interesting? I suppose it could help break down the meat more to get more flavor from it? Not sure, but I'd try that before the cinnamon thing.

Ming the Merciless
12-12-2010, 10:31 PM
moar beans!! just put in a bunch more beans and meat and simmer a bit more...and onions

Randallflagg
12-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Cinnamon in Chili doesn't sound good to me, but I suppose it's not really supposed to lend it's true cinnamon flavor.....vinegar sounds interesting? I suppose it could help break down the meat more to get more flavor from it? Not sure, but I'd try that before the cinnamon thing.

Actually, these folks have made a decent living doing the cinnamon thing.....

http://www.goldstarchili.com/

All in all, pretty damn good!

ClevelandBronco
12-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Dude, you ruined your chili with any cinnamon.

Rausch
12-12-2010, 11:22 PM
I took a vacation day because of the early Raider game and late KC game.

Made some awesome chili. Added some schredded roast to it with 3 peppers and.....fuck....it was good.

Then the pinnacle of the day concluded with us getting face raped.

So I ask you: whut the fuck am I to do with tasty face rape chili? What?

There's no way to eat that without showering with a damned brillo pad afterwards...

DaneMcCloud
12-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Dude, you ruined your chili with any cinnamon.

That's what I thought.

Chili done right rules.

Cinnamon is for buns.

Strippers and cinnamon rolls.

TimeForWasp
12-12-2010, 11:35 PM
just add 1 1/2 cups of antifreeze

Gonzo
12-12-2010, 11:36 PM
That's what I thought.

Chili done right rules.

Cinnamon is for buns.

Now that you mention it, according to my mother there's a place in Omaha that serves southern food and their 2 main dishes are Chicken and Waffles and Chili on Cinnamon rolls. There must be something to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
12-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Now that you mention it, according to my mother there's a place in Omaha that serves southern food and their 2 main dishes are Chicken and Waffles and Chili on Cinnamon rolls. There must be something to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

But are there strippers?...

DaneMcCloud
12-12-2010, 11:47 PM
But are there strippers?...

Who here hasn't met a stripper named Cinnamon?

chasedude
12-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Ah I get it, it's a metaphor.

Too much Cinnamon is Brodie, and the Chili base is the rest of the team!

Both together it leaves a weird taste in your mouth?

Chiefs Rool
12-12-2010, 11:50 PM

. Always use your hand or a spoon or something to "measure".

unless you are baking, real cooks don't need, want or use measuring devices :D

Rausch
12-12-2010, 11:51 PM

:huh:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/3/16/129132430643060445.jpg

WV
12-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Actually, these folks have made a decent living doing the cinnamon thing.....

http://www.goldstarchili.com/

All in all, pretty damn good!

You know now that you mention it and provided the link, we have a place called Hard Times Cafe and they serve a Cinncinnati style chile and damned if cinnamon isn't the flavor I didn't care for in that chili. All about region I guess...I was excited to try the Cinncinnati style chili and was disappointed to say the least.

WV
12-12-2010, 11:59 PM

Never met a Cinnamon, but I met one once that had my name tattooed on her boob (at my bachelor party)....thought it was a pretty good reason to have a private dance!

TinyEvel
12-13-2010, 01:06 AM
questions...

1) Did the chili come out of your pocket

and

2) Did it take 18th place out of 19 entries?

(bonus points if you know what I'm referring to)

DaneMcCloud
12-13-2010, 01:10 AM
questions...

1) Did the chili come out of your pocket

and

2) Did it take 18th place out of 19 entries?

(bonus points if you know what I'm referring to)

Strippers again?

TinyEvel
12-13-2010, 01:12 AM
Strippers again?

LOL no. My buddy was Jonesing to find a strip joint in SD and I was having nothing of it. MAybe it was the crushing loss, or maybe I was too drunnk, or maybe it's because I HATE PAYING $100 TO A GIRL FOR NOTHING!!!!!

DaneMcCloud
12-13-2010, 01:14 AM
LOL no. My buddy was Jonesing to find a strip joint in SD and I was having nothing of it. MAybe it was the crushing loss, or maybe I was too drunnk, or maybe it's because I HATE PAYING $100 TO A GIRL FOR NOTHING!!!!!

NEVER pay for strippers, Dude.

You have to make them feel like they're doing YOU a favor.

I'll show you how it works sometime.

:D

Rausch
12-13-2010, 01:18 AM
NEVER pay for strippers, Dude.

You have to make them feel like they're doing YOU a favor.

I'll show you how it works sometime.

:D

Unless I get happy ending I don't give a fuck.

I can finish in 2D at home or watch self-important high priced hookers tease for.......well, even if it's free I don't get to nut while watching...

tooge
12-13-2010, 08:01 AM

Sorry, Dude.

Vinegar is an absolute must ingredient in chili. I've used it ever since I saw a Paula Dean episode years ago. I have friends ask all the time what is in it that zings it up so well, and it is simply about a quarter cup of vinegar for a large pot (6 quarts or so) of chili. Also, cinnimon has no place in chili if you ask me.

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Sorry, Dude.

You can't taste the cinnamon, but it gives a background note that's hard to define. It's an "it" ingredient that a lot of people will go, "Damn, that's really good. What's in it?"

My chili has quite a bit of spice and flavor. The cinnamon just adds a depth of flavor.

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2010, 08:27 AM
That's what I thought.

Chili done right rules.

Cinnamon is for buns.

Ever tried it? I doubt it.

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2010, 08:30 AM
unless you are baking, real cooks don't need, want or use measuring devices :D

That's why I had the word in quotes. I don't measure, but I use the palm of my hand to eyeball it. One, so I have an idea of how much I'm putting in. Two, so I don't accidentally dump a half a jar of cinnamon in my chili.

You certainly don't see Bobby Flay or Gordon Ramsay or any other professional chef going straight from jar to pot.

dirk digler
12-13-2010, 08:37 AM
My chili has quite a bit of spice and flavor. The cinnamon just adds a depth of flavor.

Care to share your recipe FMB?

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Care to share your recipe FMB?

The first time I make a recipe, I make it as instructed. If I like it, I'll keep using it as a base, but make my own modifications as I go. My recipe is barely recognizable next to this one now, but this is where it started. It was also my first experience with cinnamon in chili.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/venison-chili-recipe/index.html

lcarus
03-02-2012, 04:15 PM
I was talking with my buddy at work today about chili recipes, and was telling him that my old teacher in high school swore up and down that cinnamon adds a lot of spice to chili. He didn't believe me and we were wondering just how much cinnamon to add to chili. So I googled "how much cinnamon to put in chili" and I'll be god damned if this thread didn't pop up in the first few results.

ModSocks
03-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Sign Peyton Manning and your chili will be fixed.

lcarus
03-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Sign Peyton Manning and your chili will be fixed.

Damn you caught me. Yes...I am Scott Pioli.

listopencil
03-02-2012, 04:21 PM
No way. Just say no to cinnamon in chili.

Okie_Apparition
03-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Peyton says it needs more crawdads

lcarus
03-02-2012, 04:22 PM
No way. Just say no to cinnamon in chili.

I've never actually tried it, but it makes sense to me. Cinnamon is a spice after all, and it is spicy.

listopencil
03-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Chili with cinnamon is like a call girl with a vestigial testicle. It's just wrong, man.

listopencil
03-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I've never actually tried it, but it makes sense to me. Cinnamon is a spice after all, and it is spicy.

If you want to spice up your chili throw some curry in there.

RockChalk
03-02-2012, 04:24 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aAdtUDaBfRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lcarus
03-02-2012, 04:26 PM
If you want to spice up your chili throw some curry in there.

A lot of curry is made with cinnamon.

listopencil
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/venison-chili-recipe/index.html

That's obviously a fake web site created by trolls and retards.

listopencil
A lot of curry is made with cinnamon.

Perish the thought.

lcarus
03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Perish the thought.

ROFL

listopencil
03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
ROFL

If you put cinnamon in your curry I will strangle this kitten:

http://www.pictures-of-kittens-and-cats.com/images/cute-kitten-pictures-002.jpg

lcarus
03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
If you put cinnamon in your curry I will strangle this kitten:

http://www.pictures-of-kittens-and-cats.com/images/cute-kitten-pictures-002.jpg

Cool. Some nice tender kitten meat for my CINNAMON CHILI!!!

sedated
03-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Don’t make your own chili, that’s a pain in the ass. Just buy this stuff: www.chilifixins.com.

listopencil
03-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Cool. Some nice tender kitten meat for my CINNAMON CHILI!!!

:banghead:

cdcox
03-04-2012, 05:17 PM
I put a little cinnamon in the batch of chili I am making today. I'm glad FMB! said 1/4 tsp, because I would have way over done it otherwise. I couldn't imagine that such a little amount could be detected in a big pot of chili. I can't taste it but the odor is definitely noticeable. I'll see if the wife notices it, and whether she likes it or not.

bevischief
03-04-2012, 05:32 PM
My beans are saved even after spending 3 hours in the walk out clinic. Not me my wife.

Psyko Tek
03-04-2012, 05:48 PM
drink some more beer my friend.
beer fixes everything.

and palko FTW!!!!!

add more beer to the chilli

bevischief
03-04-2012, 05:49 PM
add more beer to the chilli

No shit.

Fire Me Boy!
03-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I put a little cinnamon in the batch of chili I am making today. I'm glad FMB! said 1/4 tsp, because I would have way over done it otherwise. I couldn't imagine that such a little amount could be detected in a big pot of chili. I can't taste it but the odor is definitely noticeable. I'll see if the wife notices it, and whether she likes it or not.

The cinnamon should give it just a hint of sweetness, in addition to the aroma. Kicks ass, don't it? :thumb:

cdcox
03-04-2012, 06:11 PM
The cinnamon should give it just a hint of sweetness, in addition to the aroma. Kicks ass, don't it? :thumb:

Yes, I noticed the sweetness. It's just a tiny bit different. More complex flavor profile. I'll have to see if I miss it when I make the next batch (I taste it about 10 times while it is cooking).

My wife said the chili was good, but she didn't notice the cinnamon.

Fire Me Boy!
03-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Yes, I noticed the sweetness. It's just a tiny bit different. More complex flavor profile. I'll have to see if I miss it when I make the next batch (I taste it about 10 times while it is cooking).

My wife said the chili was good, but she didn't notice the cinnamon.

Excellent. That's what I meant earlier when I said it gives it an "it" factor. You shouldn't be able to easily tell it's cinnamon.

NewChief
03-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Since we're talking surprising uses of cinnamon: throw it in marinara sauce from time to time.

Groves
03-05-2012, 09:27 AM
As long as we're posting random cinnamon facts:

For reasons poorly understood, adding some cinnamon to foods drastically lowers that food's glycemic index.

htismaqe
03-05-2012, 09:47 AM
As long as we're posting random cinnamon facts:

For reasons poorly understood, adding some cinnamon to foods drastically lowers that food's glycemic index.

So that's why I don't get massive blood sugar spikes from putting a cup of cinnamon and sugar on my toast in the morning...

htismaqe
03-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Cinnamon is an absolute must for dry rub, especially pork, IMO..

Groves
03-05-2012, 09:59 AM
So that's why I don't get massive blood sugar spikes from putting a cup of cinnamon and sugar on my toast in the morning...

You're now a hero to all your diabetic and blood sugar-challenged friends.

lcarus
03-05-2012, 10:03 AM
My work buddy made his chili this weekend and threw in a teaspoon of cinnamon. He claims it's ruined now. I guess he should have used a 1/4 teaspoon?

mlyonsd
03-05-2012, 10:04 AM
My work buddy made his chili this weekend and threw in a teaspoon of cinnamon. He claims it's ruined now. I guess he should have used a 1/4 teaspoon?1 t is a lot depending on how big the batch was.

Fire Me Boy!
03-05-2012, 10:06 AM
My work buddy made his chili this weekend and threw in a teaspoon of cinnamon. He claims it's ruined now. I guess he should have used a 1/4 teaspoon?

I use 1/4 tsp. for my batch, which is like 5-6 quarts. A full teaspoon is a ton.

mlyonsd
03-05-2012, 10:08 AM
I've found dark molasses to be a great addition to my chili. About a tablespoon per crock.