PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Matt Cassel On Return From Injury: 'I'm Day-To-Day'

WebGem
12-13-2010, 12:18 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/12/13/1873400/matt-cassel-on-return-from-injury-im-day-to-day

Kansas City Chiefs QB Matt Cassel spoke for the first time since undergoing an appendectomy last Wednesday that would ultimately hold him out of Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers. Cassel talked with Soren Petrio on 810 WHB's The Program and didn't want to talk much about the details of his appendectomy.

Cassel didn't say he whether he would play this weekend only indicating it was a coaching staff and medical staff decision. So, we wait once again.

Here's a run down of what Cassel had to say on 810 WHB on Monday:

"It's getting better each and every day." The lead topic in the interview was of course the appendectomy last week. Cassel says it started late Tuesday night and by 5:30 a.m. Wednesday it wasn't getting any better. So he went into the facility and the doctors took him in. After running tests, they confirmed their suspicions were true.

"I'm day-to-day. I think the coaches evaluate it as we go forward and we'll go from there." Cassel wasn't interested in talking about the specifics of his injury and when he might return. When asked any details about the injury, he would say something like....

"I don't really know to be completely honest. Like I said, we'll evaluate it every day and go from there."

"Extremely hard." Cassel says missing the game, especially this game was very difficult, with all that was on the line. Of course he was quick to point out that they're moving on to next week.

"We kinda took it down to the last minute." Cassel didn't travel with the team to San Diego so the decision not to play him really wasn't down to the last minute. He said

"I'm sure my wife did but I wasn't in much agreement to be completely honest. But, again, I'm not a doctor and I think they're always looking out for our best interest." He says he wanted to play this weekend but that he understands the doctor's decision.

"Very little to be completely honest. I obviously talked to Brodie and I was there at practice on Friday and more or less just wishing him luck. If any questions come up, please ask the questions, but those guys were getting ready and I was trying to recover for the most part." Cassel was not at practice on Wednesday and Thursday and said he wasn't really involved during the week. That suggests to me that the Chiefs knew pretty quickly -- or at least had a good idea -- that he wouldn't be ready to paly.

"It's very frustrating to watch it on television at times because a lot of times the camera angle is focused on one area so you can't really see the routes develop down the field or even the defensive backs, what they're doing from a coverage standpoint. As a football player, it's tough to watch it on film because you don't really get a true understanding of what was going on." These are some interesting words because Cassel has hinted at this before -- there are things going on in the game that fans can't see which dictate what the Chiefs are doing.

"Not really to be completely honest. I know it now that you mentioned it and it's good to add a little something to the puzzle but for us, our football team, it's about executing the last three weeks. We control our own destiny." Do you believe Cassel that he doesn't know the playoff scenarios and tiebreakers? He said he didn't know that the Chargers would own the tiebreaker if they tied the Chiefs.

"Philip's become one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL." He says he sees some highlights throughout the week and noticed Sam Bradford is doing well, too.

"It's a spot we want to be in." The Chargers are going for yet another division title. Both Cassel and Todd Haley said this week that the Chiefs want to be like the Chargers in that they're competing for a division title every year.

"Not at all. Hopefully my wife's on that." Looks like Cassel is just like the rest of us -- no Christmas shopping done.

"I just don't feel obligated to tell you guys what I had." Awkward. Petro asked Cassel if he had the one or three incisions with his appendectomy. Cassel said the doctors or Haley can answer that question. He said he didn't know if it was against team rules but didn't want to say. Petro called him a grinch (jokingly...I think).

LaChapelle
12-13-2010, 12:20 PM
He'll get constantly blown all week
you can't recover when your spent

Chiefs Pantalones
12-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Haley babies injured players so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play this week. But if Cassel has any balls and is the leader of this team he'll be back at practice Wednesday and play Sunday. The season is on the line.

bowener
12-13-2010, 12:56 PM

His wife must constantly check his bank statement online too.

If he were smart he would make that the home page on her computer.

talastan
12-13-2010, 01:17 PM

Lucky him ;)

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/02/02/amd_cassel.jpg

booyaf2
12-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Lucky him ;)

Man Hands
Man Chin

Just saying

loochy
12-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Man Hands
Man Chin

Just saying

This is acceptable as long as the other parts are female.

Deberg_1990
12-13-2010, 01:24 PM
If only we would have drafted Sanchez.....Sanchez doesnt have appendix problems....

Somebody had to say it....

stevieray
12-13-2010, 01:26 PM
If only we would have drafted Sanchez.....Sanchez doesnt have appendix problems....

Somebody had to say it....appendage problem....four fumbles.

gblowfish
12-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Man Hands
Man Chin

Just saying

http://www.playerwives.com/teams/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/

Donger
12-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Did a blind, non-English speaker put that together? It was barely comprehensible.

Bane
12-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Somebody had to say it....

LMAO

siberian khatru
12-13-2010, 01:34 PM
But then again, aren't we all?

Rain Man
12-13-2010, 01:47 PM
I hope he steps up and has his tonsils proactively removed in the offseason so that this never happens again.

talastan
12-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Man Hands
Man Chin

Just saying

The hands are that of a NCAA champion volleyball player. The chin....meh..I see your point.

HemiEd
12-13-2010, 01:54 PM
6 weeks ago, if you would have told me I would be anxious for him to come back after an "injury" I would have told you that you were full of crap.

stevieray
12-13-2010, 01:58 PM
6 weeks ago, if you would have told me I would be anxious for him to come back after an "injury" I would have told you that you were full of crap....his value has been underrated, it was just made glaringly obvious yesterday...timing sucks..cause he was playing really well.

to the OP.... I respect his privacy....and from what little he said, unfortunately, doesn't sound too promising for the GC game.

kysirsoze
12-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Did a blind, non-English speaker put that together? It was barely comprehensible.

This. It reads like someone deleted every third sentence.

HemiEd
12-13-2010, 02:02 PM
This. It reads like someone deleted every third sentence.

I thought Donger was kidding, but I guess not. Read it like all you are getting is the answers, and not the interviewers questions. Then it makes a little more sense.

kcxiv
12-13-2010, 02:15 PM
if he said he wanted to play and they told him no, there is no doubt he's going to play next week.

HotRoute
12-13-2010, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE]["It's a spot we want to be in." The Chargers are going for yet another division title. Both Cassel and Todd Haley said this week that the Chiefs want to be like the Chargers in that they're competing for a division title every year./QUOTE]

this, I don't know whether or not the chiefs will make the playoffs this year but damn it feels good to be back in contention for the divsion. Don't take it for granted fellas

patteeu
12-13-2010, 02:20 PM
I hope he steps up and has his tonsils proactively removed in the offseason so that this never happens again.

They should take out his gall bladder too, just to be on the safe side.

ForeverChiefs58
12-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Monty Beisel’s wife

http://www.playerwives.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/playboy4.jpg

CrazyPhuD
12-13-2010, 02:46 PM
WTF did cassel have a sex reassignment surgery too?

beach tribe
12-13-2010, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE]["It's a spot we want to be in." The Chargers are going for yet another division title. Both Cassel and Todd Haley said this week that the Chiefs want to be like the Chargers in that they're competing for a division title every year./QUOTE]

this, I don't know whether or not the chiefs will make the playoffs this year but damn it feels good to be back in contention for the divsion. Don't take it for granted fellas

Damn straight. I can see this team having a 90s like playoff streak. Hopefully we won't end up with the same results though.

jjjayb
12-13-2010, 03:02 PM
...his value has been underrated, it was just made glaringly obvious yesterday...timing sucks..cause he was playing really well.

Against what defenses?

He went 11/22 for 66 yards against San Diego at Arrowhead in the season opener and people act like he's the saviour and would've lit it up yesterday. Seriously?

Just Passin' By
12-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Against what defenses?

He went 11/22 for 66 yards against San Diego at Arrowhead in the season opener and people act like he's the saviour and would've lit it up yesterday. Seriously?

They played the San Diego game in horrible weather, and they won the game. Yesterday, the game was played in good weather and the Chiefs got blown out. How does that not get through to you people?

stevieray
12-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Against what defenses?

12 games ago...there is no guarantee he would've lit it up , but I think it's fair to say they would've had more than five first downs and o/11 third down conversion rate.

...pretty easy to gameplan for Croyle.

HemiEd
12-13-2010, 03:37 PM
12 games ago...there is no guarantee he would've lit it up , but I think it's fair to say they would've had more than five first downs and o/11 third down conversion rate.

...pretty easy to gameplan for the Herm Edwards Handcuffed Offense.

Fixed it for you Stevie. LJ up the OL butt, remember? This was not much different.

loochy
12-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Lucky him ;)

OMG their children will look like Jay Leno.

matthews1733
12-13-2010, 04:04 PM
i love the chiefs fans. i think you guys have the funniest MB in the NFL. seriously

Reerun_KC
12-13-2010, 04:06 PM
6 weeks ago, if you would have told me I would be anxious for him to come back after an "injury" I would have told you that you were full of crap.

Well are you still excited to see what ol Brodie can do?

Hoover
12-13-2010, 04:10 PM
I found a picture of Mrs Cassel's Bush...

Reerun_KC
12-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Please hurry and get better soon.. This team cant win without you...

ChiefsCountry
12-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Cassel's wife has gotten me a thread idea. I'll post it later tonight.

jjjayb
12-13-2010, 04:55 PM
They played the San Diego game in horrible weather, and they won the game. Yesterday, the game was played in good weather and the Chiefs got blown out. How does that not get through to you people?

The same horrible weather that allowed Rivers to go 22/39 for 298 yards? We won that game due to great special teams plays. How does that not get through to you? Or do you really think Cassel's 66 yards were the deciding factor? ROFL

Iowanian
12-13-2010, 05:00 PM
I found a picture of Mrs Cassel's Bush...

Isn't this taken from an Axe commercial?

"Can you wash THESE old balls?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBXxE7BS6hxTXG0ZESLIU7BGVsdt--D3vP-L86sem9kgWA-LTGzQ

stevieray
12-13-2010, 05:20 PM
We won that game due to great special teams plays.

We sure did. Should they have not scored? Interesting watching someone take a positive to use against their own team in a victory.

milkman
12-14-2010, 08:36 AM
The same horrible weather that allowed Rivers to go 22/39 for 298 yards? We won that game due to great special teams plays. How does that not get through to you? Or do you really think Cassel's 66 yards were the deciding factor? ROFL

I think the question here is whether you can see the difference between week one Cassel and week thirteen Cassel?

I've talked about the difference, the growth, I've seen, going back to his days with New England.

You clearly havn't seen the growth, and I can only say to you that I was among his biggest critics, but I'm also a guy that thinks that he can be fair.

There are still some areas that I have questions about, and this Charger game could have provided some answers, but in the big picture of things, he is a far better QB now than he was in week one.

milkman
12-14-2010, 08:37 AM
We sure did. Should they have not scored? Interesting watching someone take a positive to use against their own team in a victory.

This post makes no sense at all in relation to the point that jjj is trying to make.

Chiefnj2
12-14-2010, 08:43 AM
If McCluster would have returned a kick this past week KC loses by only 20+ points?

Does that make everyone feel better?

The Cassel bashers are hopeless petty people.

jjjayb
12-14-2010, 12:18 PM
I think the question here is whether you can see the difference between week one Cassel and week thirteen Cassel?

I've talked about the difference, the growth, I've seen, going back to his days with New England.

You clearly havn't seen the growth, and I can only say to you that I was among his biggest critics, but I'm also a guy that thinks that he can be fair.

There are still some areas that I have questions about, and this Charger game could have provided some answers, but in the big picture of things, he is a far better QB now than he was in week one.

Yes, I see the difference. He played much better in the weeks following the first Denver game. He scanned the field. Made accurate throws. Looked much better. But do I think he has improved to the point that he would've made a difference in Sunday's game? No.

To suggest that Brodie should've been able to step into this game with no playing time and light it up against the Chargers D is asinine. It's just as ridiculous to suggest that Cassel would've done it either.

Hopefully we make the playoffs and Cassel proves me wrong when we play against a tough defense. I would like nothing more than to eat crow while we win a playoff game.

Skyy God
12-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes, I see the difference. He played much better in the weeks following the first Denver game. He scanned the field. Made accurate throws. Looked much better. But do I think he has improved to the point that he would've made a difference in Sunday's game? No.

To suggest that Brodie should've been able to step into this game with no playing time and light it up against the Chargers D is asinine. It's just as ridiculous to suggest that Cassel would've done it either.

If you think Cassel would have made the same reads, throws, and had the same pocket footwork as Brodie, then more power to you. But you'd dead wrong.

milkman
12-14-2010, 12:36 PM

Hopefully we make the playoffs and Cassel proves me wrong when we play against a tough defense. I would like nothing more than to eat crow while we win a playoff game.

No one is suggesting that Brodie should have been able to step into this game and light it up against the Chargers.

And no one is suggesting that Cassel would ave eitehr.

However, the suckage from Croyle was epic.
It was black hole, vortex....whatever...... suckage.

Even mediocre QB play gives us a better chance of at least having some offensive production.

Croyle has a mountain to climb to reach mediocre.

HemiEd
12-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Well are you still excited to see what ol Brodie can do?

The excitement has been tempered somewhat.

track
12-14-2010, 12:51 PM
My 28 year old daughter had her appendix taken out about 14 hours before cassel. She had the same type of surgery...3 little holes in the stomach. She ran track and cross country in college(and soccer) and has remained extremely fit by running lots of 10K road races. I asked her today if she thought she could play a soccer game on Sunday. Her Response...NO &^*# WAY....but we all know Cassell is a lot tougher than a girl. LOL

loochy
12-14-2010, 12:55 PM
My 28 year old daughter had her appendix taken out about 14 hours before cassel. She had the same type of surgery...3 little holes in the stomach. She ran track and cross country in college(and soccer) and has remained extremely fit by running lots of 10K road races. I asked her today if she thought she could play a soccer game on Sunday. Her Response...NO &^*# WAY....but we all know Cassell is a lot tougher than a girl. LOL

Is she hot?

vailpass
12-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Why did he not wait until after the season to have that surgery?

Discuss Thrower
12-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Is she hot?

Always good to see CP is in good form with the "she hot" comments. I freakin' love it.

patteeu
12-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Why did he not wait until after the season to have that surgery?

LOL, when your appendix decides to go, it does it on it's own schedule not yours.

penguinz
12-14-2010, 01:36 PM
LOL, when your appendix decides to go, it does it on it's own schedule not yours.I think his comment was some cross-thread humor.

loochy
12-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Always good to see CP is in good form with the "she hot" comments. I freakin' love it.

Nah dude for real though...is she hot?

Just Passin' By
12-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Yes, that exact same weather. The Chiefs won that game by going up 21-7 in the first half and then protecting the lead afterwards. That's an entirely different situation than what they had this past week.

Barret
12-14-2010, 04:55 PM

Well he could have asked if he had pictures of her "Holes".