PDA

View Full Version : Science GRE: anybody taken it?

Ebolapox
12-13-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm in the process of applying to grad schools, and you have to take the GRE (for most schools) to get in. interestingly enough, some people who I consider very intelligent in the lab I'm doing undergrad research in didn't do very well (which kind of surprises me).

so, just to satisfy my curiosity (and to make sure I don't expect too much out of myself when I take it this thursday); if you took it and don't mind sharing your experiences, how well did you do? I'm aiming for at least an 1100, and none of the four people I referenced the last last paragraph did better than 1060.

and yeah, I fully expect this thread to be ignored, as this isn't exactly an academic haven. however, there are a lot of learned individuals on this board, and this thread is for them.

Pants
12-13-2010, 06:35 PM

BO! Pretty damn easy if you ask me.

Donger
12-13-2010, 06:39 PM
No, but I did take the ACT once. I was hung over and an angry young man, so I answered, "A,B,C,D,E" in order until finished. I think I got a 22 or something.

donkhater
12-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Aren't there 3 parts? Quantiative, analytical and vocabulary? I know I scored a 540 on the vocabulary part (anything over 500 I was satisfied). I thought I got a 790 on the other two (but I guess there was only one other part).

It was a while ago.

Ebolapox
12-13-2010, 06:46 PM

BO! Pretty damn easy if you ask me.

yeah, the material is pretty elementary, which is kind of the issue. they test over things that are amazingly easy, yet you likely haven't paid any attention to or studied in 4-5 years at best. that, and they go to the dictionary to come up with words that will make even somebody with a good vocabulary scratch their head.

Ebolapox
12-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Aren't there 3 parts? Quantiative, analytical and vocabulary? I know I scored a 540 on the vocabulary part (anything over 500 I was satisfied). I thought I got a 790 on the other two (but I guess there was only one other part).

It was a while ago.

yeah, three parts. your score is essentially verbal + quantitative (sadly, in my major field, a 300 is average in verbal and 600 is average to good in quant) and analytical writing is 0-6, with most people scoring in the 3 range (you write two essays on BS prompts, all on the fly).

they essentially test for logical and reasoning skills. I'm a great writer when it comes to essays, so I'm not worried about that part (BS prompt issues aside), and I'm not really worried about either of the other sections really. the low scores by the aforementioned peers/mentors is what shocked me. I'm averaging (in computerized practice exams that mimic the testing and scoring style) upper 1100's, which will get you into 90% of good grad schools across the country.

Rain Man
12-13-2010, 06:52 PM
I took it 20 years ago, so I don't remember specifics. I do remember being annoyed at the math part, though. I got a perfect score and it was only in the 86th percentile. What kind of test is it when 14 percent of the people get a perfect score?

Pants
12-13-2010, 06:59 PM
I took it 20 years ago, so I don't remember specifics. I do remember being annoyed at the math part, though. I got a perfect score and it was only in the 86th percentile. What kind of test is it when 14 percent of the people get a perfect score?

Oh yeah? Well, I got 36/36 on the reading part of the ACT. Who's the badass now, HUH?

P.S. I never took the GRE, I was just kidding. 1440 was my SAT score, lol.

Reaper16
12-13-2010, 07:02 PM
I took it a couple of years ago. I got a 660 in verbal, 6 (out of 6) on the writing. I don't remember my math score, but I literally didn't care about it (I was applying to art programs in writing). I just answered "B" on every math question.

Pants
12-13-2010, 07:03 PM
I took it a couple of years ago. I got a 660 in verbal, 6 (out of 6) on the writing. I don't remember my math score, but I literally didn't care about it (I was applying to art programs in writing). I just answered "B" on every math question.

I'm proud of you. 6 out of 6 on the writing part is a difficult thing to do.

Rain Man
12-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Oh yeah? Well, I got 36/36 on the reading part of the ACT. Who's the badass now, HUH?

P.S. I never took the GRE, I was just kidding. 1440 was my SAT score, lol.

Pssh. Reading. Like you're ever going to use that in real life.

Slayer Diablo
12-13-2010, 07:43 PM
It's a horrible raging inferno that sucks like any other standardized test. Think of it as a bunch of disgruntled Masters trying to block you out of going straight to PhD programs so they can maintain the fantasy that you're only as smart as they are at the very most.

A common problem I've seen is they enjoy using obscure secondary definitions in the vocabulary section; especially after you get about three consecutive right answers. Study all of those, and be ready to use them profusely in your essay. It is true that long essays with flowery words get scored highly.

Of course, they're mainly testing your logical reasoning and analytical skills, but the way in which they go about it...studying to fit their method/structure is a smart choice.

Captain Obvious
12-13-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm proud of you. 6 out of 6 on the writing part is a difficult thing to do.

I just did that a month ago. 99th percentile. Other scores weren't that great. I hate standardized tests.

DeezNutz
12-13-2010, 08:18 PM
The analytical section is actually easier now than it used to be, IMO. You must analyze one argument and construct an essay to a random prompt. Realize that for many who will be "grading" the latter, they're going to be looking at structure, first and foremost.

In other words, do you have the following:
A clear intro and conclusion.
A clear, specific thesis.
Evidence for your claim.
Proper paragraphing.

If you're saying "smart" stuffs, that's a bonus, player.

DanT
12-13-2010, 08:21 PM
I hope I don't come across as too much of a geek, but I still remember my scores. I took the GRE back in late 1991 or early 1992. That test was helpful for me because it helped me overcome my mediocre undergrad GPA in psychology to get into a good graduate program in mathematics. (It wasn't until grad school that I started getting good grades. In high school, the SAT and ACT had helped me overcome my mediocre GPA to get into a good college.) For the verbal, I scored a 680 (93% percentile), for the quantitative I scored a 790 (95% percentile) and for the analytical I scored a 780 (97% percentile). As Rain Man points out, the quantitative test is a little ridiculous, in that you can miss very few and still not be in the tip-top percentiles. I somehow missed 5 items on that, even though the questions didn't seem that hard: I suspect I got a little careless with recording my answers. The analytical component, on the other hand, was a component I was very worried about when I was practicing for it because those practice questions seemed hard to do "in a hurry", but somehow the questions that I got "for real" were not that bad and I only missed four of them. For practice, I used one of those Princeton Review paperbacks, which I remember being pretty funny to read because the authors took the point of view that the tests were basically a racket and that one shouldn't accord them too much respect. In my opinion, you can improve your score by practicing. Although the couple of "sample tests" I took in the paperback scared me a little, it was better to know ahead of time what I was getting in for. Man, I sure felt relieved during the test (and a little surprised) by how straightforward the analytical questions were for my version of the test.

I wouldn't want to have to take the GRE again. After getting a PhD in math, I'd probably be more handy with things like "proof by contradiction" and other tricks that I hadn't known about for hitting on the right answers for the analytical questions, which are mainly exercises in logic, but I'm sure my middle-aged brain couldn't breeze through the arithmetic stuff as swiftly as I could when I was a wee one. (I had a perfect ACT math score in high school, but I'm more methodical and slower nowadays than I was back then.) Also, from what I understand, the GRE now uses an adaptive procedure where the questions are adjusted as you go, in order to provide a more accurate assessment of each test taker. I suspect that makes it a little bit harder for people like me who like to have tests where I feel like I can answer most of the questions with not too much trouble.

cdcox
12-13-2010, 08:33 PM
The quantitative is basically high school level math. No calculus or anything like that. I scored a 790 with zero prep. Engineering students in our department will commonly score in the mid-600's without prep, and in the low- to mid-700s with a little prep. The entrance standard for our department is 700. We get lots and lots of scores of 800 from Asia. To score high, you need to be very accurate and reasonably fast. Take the practice exam, identify your weaknesses, and drill on those.

I don't remember much about the verbal.

BTW, the whole format of the GRE is changing in August.

Seattle Sun
12-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Took it 7 years ago. I am an engineering grad. The math is easier than the SAT I thought. I didnt miss a question. It is interesting because every question you answer leads to another question which is harder (if you got the previous one right) or easier (if you got it wrong). So, basically, dont screw up the first half. It would be akin to my Bolts always effing up the first half of the season only to have to win 10 in a row to barely make the playoffs. You will get a low score if you blow the first 10 questions.

Verbal is tougher than the SAT IMO. Got in the low 700s though (780 on SAT, so I think it is tougher).

The writing portion is qualitative bullshit, probably because I only scored a 5/6 and I consider myself a superior writer when required. Not the one to ask on how to beat the writing portion.

Good luck. I don't think the overall numbers really matter, as long as you are over the department minimum.

Ebolapox
12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
The quantitative is basically high school level math. No calculus or anything like that. I scored a 790 with zero prep. Engineering students in our department will commonly score in the mid-600's without prep, and in the low- to mid-700s with a little prep. The entrance standard for our department is 700. We get lots and lots of scores of 800 from Asia. To score high, you need to be very accurate and reasonably fast. Take the practice exam, identify your weaknesses, and drill on those.

yeah, I'm scoring right in the upper to middle 600's with no preparation. all of my prep has been in the verbal section, honestly.

I should be in grad school by august, so I'm not worried about changing format.

cdcox
12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
The analytical test is different now than when Rain Man, Dan T, donkhater, and I took it. Back then, it was another multiple choice test with lots of brain teasers and the like. They completely got rid of that part and replaced it with an essay-style "analytical writing". I don't think they test the same skills.

Ebolapox
12-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Good luck. I don't think the overall numbers really matter, as long as you are over the department minimum.

that's kind of how I'm preparing. I only need an 1100 to get into a ton of great schools, and 1200 for the rest. on a decent day, I'm pretty sure I can get over 1200 (with not a lot of prep, my brain has been fried of late with finals and preparing for a vacation the day after the GRE)

Dr. Van Halen
12-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Do a handful of practice tests. Have one of your practice tests simulate the actual test as closely as possible (this is tough, as you are taking the computer adaptive test -- I think one of the books offers a computer adaptive sample cd-rom). Statistically, your scores increase the second time you take any test (even though the questions are obviously different). Although ... GRE is known for recycling material, especially vocabulary words.

KC_Connection
12-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Without studying or practicing for it at all, I got 1210 last month on this and a 4.5 on the writing (should have been at least a 5, dammit). Some of the vocabulary just pisses you off, though. When the hell am I ever going to use any of these words?

cdcox
12-13-2010, 08:44 PM
that's kind of how I'm preparing. I only need an 1100 to get into a ton of great schools, and 1200 for the rest. on a decent day, I'm pretty sure I can get over 1200 (with not a lot of prep, my brain has been fried of late with finals and preparing for a vacation the day after the GRE)

Are you planning on getting support for grad school? You may need higher scores than the minimum posted scores to compete for a funded spot. Right now with the economy bad, more people are going to grad school instead of into the workforce, so the competition might be stiffer. The increased competition might not apply as much for the sciences though, where you really need a PhD to have a career in the field.

Ebolapox
12-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Do a handful of practice tests. Have one of your practice tests simulate the actual test as closely as possible (this is tough, as you are taking the computer adaptive test -- I think one of the books offers a computer adaptive sample cd-rom). Statistically, your scores increase the second time you take any test (even though the questions are obviously different). Although ... GRE is known for recycling material, especially vocabulary words.

I've taken three separate computer-adaptive tests. none of them has been with repeated or recycled material, or none of it has been obviously repeated. honestly, I'll be completely ok with an 1130, as it will get me into the university of washington (great pathobiology program) or mizzou (another good pathobiology program). a 1200 will get me into wash-u or university of georgia. over 1300 will get me into anywhere in the nation.

Ebolapox
12-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Are you planning on getting support for grad school? You may need higher scores than the minimum posted scores to compete for a funded spot. Right now with the economy bad, more people are going to grad school instead of into the workforce, so the competition might be stiffer. The increased competition might not apply as much for the sciences though, where you really need a PhD to have a career in the field.

I'm going into a field that not many other people are going into, really. my two safe schools only require 1000, and they're both pretty good schools.

cdcox
12-13-2010, 09:20 PM
I've taken three separate computer-adaptive tests. none of them has been with repeated or recycled material, or none of it has been obviously repeated. honestly, I'll be completely ok with an 1130, as it will get me into the university of washington (great pathobiology program) or mizzou (another good pathobiology program). a 1200 will get me into wash-u or university of georgia. over 1300 will get me into anywhere in the nation.

Depending on what you want to do when you finish (academia?), getting into one of the top 5 schools could pay off.

FRCDFED
12-13-2010, 09:30 PM
The analytical section is actually easier now than it used to be, IMO. You must analyze one argument and construct an essay to a random prompt. Realize that for many who will be "grading" the latter, they're going to be looking at structure, first and foremost.

In other words, do you have the following:
A clear intro and conclusion.
A clear, specific thesis.
Evidence for your claim.
Proper paragraphing.

If you're saying "smart" stuffs, that's a bonus, player.This! In my experience concentrate on structure. Most importantly though is keep your grammar simple. Don't get cute by trying to sound too articulate or use vocabulary that is uncommon. Simple punctuation as well. Basically use the old adage KISS (keep it simple stupid).

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-13-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm in the process of applying to grad schools, and you have to take the GRE (for most schools) to get in. interestingly enough, some people who I consider very intelligent in the lab I'm doing undergrad research in didn't do very well (which kind of surprises me).

so, just to satisfy my curiosity (and to make sure I don't expect too much out of myself when I take it this thursday); if you took it and don't mind sharing your experiences, how well did you do? I'm aiming for at least an 1100, and none of the four people I referenced the last last paragraph did better than 1060.

and yeah, I fully expect this thread to be ignored, as this isn't exactly an academic haven. however, there are a lot of learned individuals on this board, and this thread is for them.

I was sick as a dog and got a 1220 after scoring in the 1400-1500 on my practice tests, and a 6 on the writing. You should easily be able to match or beat my score, I bet.

DanT
12-13-2010, 10:32 PM

Great advice, cdcox. Also, thanks for the info on the new format change. I thought they had already gone to the new format, so it's good to know otherwise!

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-14-2010, 12:15 AM
I remember taking my GRE because of the implausibility of it all.

I walked into the Ed Center at Ft. Campbell in the fall of 1991 to see about signing up for the next GRE so I could get into the Masters of History at Murray State. (Austin Peay had just closed their history masters program that year.) The lady behind the counter said, "We just started the test five minutes ago, do you want to go ahead and take it now?"

I shrugged and said, "what the heck" and jumped in. No prep, no study, no time to really think about what I was doing.

I scored a 580 on the Math (hadn't taken a math class since 1977, so I'm pretty happy with that); a 720 in English and a 780 in Analytic Reasoning (no written test then, just read and determine "what the moral of the story was" type of reasoning).

So, I'm guessing that scoring at 1300 (M&E) is pretty good based on what you guys are saying here today. *shrug* Then again, I've always been really good a form tests.

CrazyPhuD
12-14-2010, 12:19 AM
So I took it nearly 10 years ago back when it was still three tests. For me I was already in the program I just needed to get a set of GREs done to be 'official' Grabbed a book on GRE prep and practice tests to remind myself how to take the test, I think I went over it a couple days before the test, but did no real prep on the verbal since it wasn't the focus in my grad school(or at least I felt so at the time). I remember it feeling very SAT like. Took the computerized version, didn't want to waste anything thinking time on verbal so I merely said if I know the answer right away select it, else eliminate and guess(since you have to answer each question on the comp version or I think you did). 790 Math 790 Analytical 540 verbal.

One thing to note about the GREs at least from the academic side. High GREs won't get you into a program(because they are not really representative of much), but low GREs can exclude you. I told one of my profs about my verbal strategy because I didn't care about that score and he said, you know if you scored TOO low that would have been bad.

GRE's are mostly just a min hurdle make sure you are good enough but what will get you into your school are usually other factors. GREs are just the first weed out.

CrazyPhuD
12-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Depending on what you want to do when you finish (academia?), getting into one of the top 5 schools could pay off.

This...part of your question is decide what you want to or need to do. If you want to go into academia you need your union card. If you want to into industry it will depend upon the industry you're in. Often where you go can be more important that what degree you end up with(at least in my field). A Masters from an elite school can get you better connections than a PhD from a good school.

Ebolapox
12-14-2010, 11:14 AM

I'm just going for my master's now, will get my Ph.D after I'm done with that. my plan now is to take an academic step up each step of the way, and if needed, will work on a higher GRE later. from what I've gleaned from others in our lab who have gone on to Ph.D programs, the three most important things are 1) GPA during master's, 2) publications (I've already got several), and 3) reputation of lab you do/did research in. the lab I'm doing undergrad research in is considered the third best lab for endo/exocytosis in the world, with no Ph.D students.

but yeah, my plan is to try to get into a top five school for my Ph.D if at all possible.

epitome1170
12-14-2010, 11:57 AM
I took it in 2003. I think everyone else has summed it up pretty well... the vocab part is ridiculous. I had always thought of myself as fairly decent at vocab, but that kicked my ass.

I am an engineer though so that did not really matter as our department only had minimums for the math portion, which was a breeze.

I can't really give advice on studying though because I have never really been one to study for any kind of test.

loochy
12-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah, it's pretty easy. I took it one morning while I was hungover and had about 3 hours sleep. I'm not sure what my exact score was, but I remember i was in the 70th percentile.

It's not hard so don't sweat it. If you are capable of reasoning and you've paid attention to your education thus far, you'll do well. I don't really think it warrants studying.

Ebolapox
12-16-2010, 05:36 PM
for what it's worth, I got a 1230 today. 550 verbal (the average in my major field is ~300-400) and 680 quantitative (average is ~600). the analytical writing went very well... the prompts weren't horrible, and I was able to put together what could be the prototype for the five-paragraph essay on one, and a well reasoned analysis of the argument for the other. I'm pretty sure I got at least a 4.5 average on the essays, but more than likely at least 5-5.5 (depends on how hardass they are at critiquing them).

pretty happy right now.

cdcox
12-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Not a bad score for a non-engineer. ;)

Congrats.

loochy
12-16-2010, 06:02 PM
for what it's worth, I got a 1230 today. 550 verbal (the average in my major field is ~300-400) and 680 quantitative (average is ~600). the analytical writing went very well... the prompts weren't horrible, and I was able to put together what could be the prototype for the five-paragraph essay on one, and a well reasoned analysis of the argument for the other. I'm pretty sure I got at least a 4.5 average on the essays, but more than likely at least 5-5.5 (depends on how hardass they are at critiquing them).

pretty happy right now.

Yaaaaay!

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-30-2011, 12:58 AM
I retook this today. They changed the scoring format in August, and now it ranges from 130-170.

I scored a 169 on the verbal, which was 99th percentile, and 159 on the math, which was 82nd.

If you extrapolated the scores out to the old version, it would have been a 1490-1500. I'm very, very happy with the results, and have been walking on air all evening.

A bit of an unhumble-brag, but I've been dancing around like Willie Mays Hayes after he found out he made the 1989 Indians.

Discuss Thrower
11-30-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm taking it cold on Thursday morning.

Jenson71
11-30-2011, 01:35 AM
I retook this today. They changed the scoring format in August, and now it ranges from 130-170.

I scored a 169 on the verbal, which was 99th percentile, and 159 on the math, which was 82nd.

If you extrapolated the scores out to the old version, it would have been a 1490-1500. I'm very, very happy with the results, and have been walking on air all evening.

A bit of an unhumble-brag, but I've been dancing around like Willie Mays Hayes after he found out he made the 1989 Indians.

Why'd you retake it? I thought you already had a PhD

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Why'd you retake it? I thought you already had a PhD

No. Whose mult are you?

loochy
11-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm taking it cold on Thursday morning.

You'll be fine if you actually paid attention in college.

Stanley Nickels
11-30-2011, 10:39 AM
My advice is this: WATCH YOUR TIME. I'm terrible at math- awful, really- and I wanted to be SURE to double-check my work, and make sure I didn't over- or under-think the problems. Unfortunately, by the time I remembered to look at the clock, I was only done with about six of the 25 questions, and half my time was gone. In the last two minutes or so, I literally skimmed the final ten questions (that were left by that time), guessing the one that my gut said made sense. It is, easily, my biggest regret. I did okay (1350), but really wish I would've simulated the environment and time constraints when I did the practice exams.

Discuss Thrower
12-01-2011, 01:32 PM
You'll be fine if you actually paid attention in college.

Well until this morning I thought I paid attention.

One score was above average. The other was well below average. No word on the writing section...

You know, had I known I would've been fucked in this ass I would have at least spoken up to ask for the common courtesy of a reach around.

Or at least made a case for the test center to allow me to carry in a tube of lube.

lewdog
12-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Math was the easy part for me but I don't know how the expect you to study the verbal part with all those definitions. Such a bogus test. I still got into grad school but my scores were much lower than the should have been because this test pretty much measures how well you are at taking a standardized test and not much else.

loochy
12-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Well until this morning I thought I paid attention.

One score was above average. The other was well below average. No word on the writing section...

You know, had I known I would've been fucked in this ass I would have at least spoken up to ask for the common courtesy of a reach around.

Or at least made a case for the test center to allow me to carry in a tube of lube.

I'm sorry to hear that. Was it at least good enough to get into the school you wanted?

My math was higher than my verbal too.

Discuss Thrower
12-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Was it at least good enough to get into the school you wanted?

My math was higher than my verbal too.

Verbal was higher. Waaaaaaaaay higher.

And it's more than likely not gonna get me into the school I wanted sooooo it looks like I've got to start angling for any opening manager spots at Springfield area Kum N Gos

loochy
12-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Verbal was higher. Waaaaaaaaay higher.

And it's more than likely not gonna get me into the school I wanted sooooo it looks like I've got to start angling for any opening manager spots at Springfield area Kum N Gos

You can take it again...

loochy
12-01-2011, 04:27 PM
and by the way, what a TERRIBLE name for a convenience store

Discuss Thrower
12-01-2011, 04:35 PM
You can take it again...

I'm going to. But actually getting a job that can pay rent is kinda needed.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Math was the easy part for me but I don't know how the expect you to study the verbal part with all those definitions. Such a bogus test. I still got into grad school but my scores were much lower than the should have been because this test pretty much measures how well you are at taking a standardized test and not much else.

I don't really agree with this. Like all STs, it has problems, but I can tell you that studying and working at the grad level, and teaching over the last seven years really helped to sharpen my brain in a way that being an undergrad didn't. My vocab increased immensely over that period of time, as did by ability to analyze and deduce opaque passages and arguments. It made a wealth of difference in the verbal, which I didn't study for really at all.

I spent all my time studying for the math, given that I haven't had a math class in 10 years.

lewdog
12-01-2011, 06:27 PM
I don't really agree with this. Like all STs, it has problems, but I can tell you that studying and working at the grad level, and teaching over the last seven years really helped to sharpen my brain in a way that being an undergrad didn't. My vocab increased immensely over that period of time, as did by ability to analyze and deduce opaque passages and arguments. It made a wealth of difference in the verbal, which I didn't study for really at all.

I spent all my time studying for the math, given that I haven't had a math class in 10 years.

My point is how do you even study for the verbal section? Knowing a bunch of definitions to words that 99% of the population doesn't use seems kind of pointless.

I have done just fine in grad school, even in a "verbal" field like speech pathology, even though my GRE scores were pretty crappy. I am done with all my class work in a week and have a damn near 4.0. I find that extremely funny that the GRE is supposedly a good predictor of how well you will do in grad school. Good thing my program said they don't regard the GRE with much value or I might not have gotten in!

chiefqueen
12-01-2011, 06:28 PM
It was 20+ years ago but my verbal score sucked (below 500), my math score was 730 (I did not study this section at all b/c I was taking advanced Calc this semester and the questions seemed like Algerbra I), and 700 on the analytical (basically the only prep I did for the section was spending 2-3 hours a couple of days before the test learning how to solve the logic questions).

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2011, 06:38 PM
My point is how do you even study for the verbal section? Knowing a bunch of definitions to words that 99% of the population doesn't use seems kind of pointless.

I have done just fine in grad school, even in a "verbal" field like speech pathology, even though my GRE scores were pretty crappy. I am done with all my class work in a week and have a damn near 4.0. I find that extremely funny that the GRE is supposedly a good predictor of how well you will do in grad school. Good thing my program said they don't regard the GRE with much value or I might not have gotten in!

Is studying for the verbal test somehow indicative of its merit? The point of the verbal section is to, like the analytical section, is to test critical thinking. The math section also tests some critical thinking, but it's more of a test of rote memorization.

Besides, the verbal section really isn't about word definition, it's about being able to notice patterns and order in word use and logic, respectively.

Ebolapox
12-01-2011, 06:58 PM
and by the way, what a TERRIBLE name for a convenience store

hey, it used to be 'git-n-go.' they went the wrong way, methinks.

lewdog
12-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Besides, the verbal section really isn't about word definition, it's about being able to notice patterns and order in word use and logic, respectively.

I think you are in the minority about thinking this means something, especially when graduate programs like speech pathology, don't really see the GRE as valuable (my verbal score was shit compared to my math). I hope more programs realize that a standardized score is a really small part of the equation for determining successful candidates at the graduate level.

kevonm
12-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Anyone take the MCAT? Now that test was tough.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2011, 11:57 PM
I think you are in the minority about thinking this means something, especially when graduate programs like speech pathology, don't really see the GRE as valuable (my verbal score was shit compared to my math). I hope more programs realize that a standardized score is a really small part of the equation for determining successful candidates at the graduate level.

All programs already do think that way. I think I'm starting to see one of the reasons why you struggled in the verbal section, as you seem to have an inability to understand nuance.. Furthermore, did you ever think to expand your scope beyond what your program thinks? Speech pathology is but one graduate program.

The GRE isn't the best predictor of success in graduate school. No one ever claimed that it was. It is but one factor in an equation, often used as a sorting agent for programs with a wealth of applicants. There are certain abilities it tests that are very important towards success. Others have no correlation. It does not exist as a point on a line of either worthless or meritorious, but rather on a continuum. It has value, and to some programs more than others. It also has deficiencies.

No one has said the examination is the gold standard, that's a strawman you concocted.

KC_Connection
12-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Did they change the format of the test or just the scoring?

loochy
12-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Well I'll say this:

People that do badly on standardized tests often fall back on the excuse "well standardized tests don't matter and they don't measure anything valuable." Guess what? They DO measure something valuable. In addition to checking your knowledge on whatever subject is at hand, they also serve to see if you can overcome a tough situation. So you say you are a bad test taker? Why would that be? Are you not able to read? Do you freak out in stressful situations? Does your mind wander? Are you not able to use clues in the test and a process of elimination to come to the best answer? All of these are things that definitely apply to being a successful graduate student, and, furthermore, a good worker. When you get a job and your boss asks you to do something, will you just blow him off because "you aren't a good test taker?" I think not. If you are smart you'll figure out how to pass the test.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Did they change the format of the test or just the scoring?

Mostly the scoring, but the verbal section changed slightly, as they removed the antonyms section. I've heard the new math is significantly harder than the old version as well, which would be born out by my raw score vs. my percentile score.

lewdog
12-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Well I'll say this:

People that do badly on standardized tests often fall back on the excuse "well standardized tests don't matter and they don't measure anything valuable." Guess what? They DO measure something valuable. In addition to checking your knowledge on whatever subject is at hand, they also serve to see if you can overcome a tough situation. So you say you are a bad test taker? Why would that be? Are you not able to read? Do you freak out in stressful situations? Does your mind wander? Are you not able to use clues in the test and a process of elimination to come to the best answer? All of these are things that definitely apply to being a successful graduate student, and, furthermore, a good worker. When you get a job and your boss asks you to do something, will you just blow him off because "you aren't a good test taker?" I think not. If you are smart you'll figure out how to pass the test.

I get what you are saying, and I "passed" but not with anything remotely impressive. I have always been a good test taker...except for the GRE.

Maybe I am just bitter!!!

Discuss Thrower
12-02-2011, 12:52 PM
But seriously... anyone wanna pay a liberal arts major around $1200 a month?

loochy
12-02-2011, 01:10 PM

But seriously...do you want to dig some ditches for me? How about pick some vegetables? Maybe you could mop my floors. Do you know how to wash dishes?

NewChief
12-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Have you talked with the school about your scores? My wife didn't score well on her GRE, but her graduate school waived the score requirement for her because she was impressive in other areas.

As for test taking as a predictor of performance: I kicked ass on the GRE (and every standardized test I've ever taken), and I was a worthless excuse for a graduate student, pretty much dead ending my entry into any worthwhile PhD programs. My wife sucked on the GRE, but she absolutely kicked ass in graduate school and could have easily gone on to a career in academia.

Discuss Thrower
12-02-2011, 01:48 PM
But seriously...do you want to dig some ditches for me? How about pick some vegetables? Maybe you could mop my floors. Do you know how to wash dishes?

Well my first job as a golf course bitch was scrubbing toilets...

Discuss Thrower
12-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Have you talked with the school about your scores? My wife didn't score well on her GRE, but her graduate school waived the score requirement for her because she was impressive in other areas.

As for test taking as a predictor of performance: I kicked ass on the GRE (and every standardized test I've ever taken), and I was a worthless excuse for a graduate student, pretty much dead ending my entry into any worthwhile PhD programs. My wife sucked on the GRE, but she absolutely kicked ass in graduate school and could have easily gone on to a career in academia.

Scores aren't the problem; my main problem is inexperience in the field. My current employer said going to graduate school isn't a bad idea but I shouldn't plan on getting accepted in the immediate future.

NewChief
12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Scores aren't the problem; my main problem is inexperience in the field. My current employer said going to graduate school isn't a bad idea but I shouldn't plan on getting accepted in the immediate future.

Ahh, yeah. My wife was moving from undergrad to grad. work in the same field. She also had taken a year off from school and worked for Wal-Mart corporate in her field (textile design and production). As such, she was an attractive candidate despite her test scores.

Discuss Thrower
12-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Ahh, yeah. My wife was moving from undergrad to grad. work in the same field. She also had taken a year off from school and worked for Wal-Mart corporate in her field (textile design and production). As such, she was an attractive candidate despite her test scores.

I'd make a self disparaging remark about myself as an "attractive candidate" but I think it would take away from Loochy's offer of employment.

loochy
12-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I'd make a self disparaging remark about myself as an "attractive candidate" but I think it would take away from Loochy's offer of employment.

Don't worry. The position was filled by a Mexican illegal about an hour ago.

Discuss Thrower
12-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Don't worry. The position was filled by a Mexican illegal about an hour ago.

Hola Senor Loochi, como esta?" Necessito los banos limpar?

loochy
12-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Hola Senor Loochi, como esta?" Necessito los banos limpar?

Si. Mucho caca en el piso de bano.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2011, 02:58 PM
6.0 on the Writing :D.

Bowser
12-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Si. Mucho caca en el piso de bano.

Donde esta mi cerveza, bendejo?

Thus concludes my entire knowledge of the Spanish language.