PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Joe Smith to the Lakers

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2010, 09:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5920357&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

NEWARK, N.J. -- The New Jersey Nets agreed to trade Terrence Williams to the Houston Rockets in a three-way deal that will land them Los Angeles Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic and a pair of first-round draft picks, sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

The trade, which has been agreed upon in principle, will also send Nets veteran power forward Joe Smith to the Lakers, while New Jersey will receive Los Angeles' 2011 first-round pick and Houston's 2012 lottery-protected first-rounder, sources said.

To make roster room for Williams' arrival, sources said, Houston has struck a deal with Sacramento that will send Jermaine Taylor to the Kings for a future second-round pick.

"Welcome welcome, to all my jersey fans an people it's been real I love y'all an thanks, to HOUSTON what uppppp 'go Rockets' lol," Williams tweeted Tuesday night.

The acquisition of the two first-round picks now gives the Nets a total of five first-rounders over the next two seasons. Aside from their own 2011 and 2012 firsts, they also have the Golden State Warriors' lottery-protected 2011 first-round pick, which was acquired in the Marcus Williams trade back in 2008.

"I just found out [about the trade] when I got to the arena tonight," said Smith. "I found out right before the game.

"I had a similar situation when I left Oklahoma City and went back to Cleveland for the second time. The toughest thing about it is leaving the guys I've been with for the short part of the season. Just seeing them grow and develop and do the right thing on the court to get wins, that's always a tough situation."

The deal cannot be finalized until Dec. 15, according to NBA rules that prohibit offseason signees from being traded -- and Smith fits that bill.

Williams was announced as inactive by Nets head coach Avery Johnson before Tuesday night's game, but Johnson would not divulge why. When asked if it was because of bad behavior, which has caused Johnson to place Williams on the inactive list earlier this season, he responded, "no."

Johnson had no comment when asked about the impending trade during his postgame press conference after the Nets' 82-77 loss to the 76ers Tuesday night.

Nets general manager Billy King refused to confirm or deny if a trade was imminent.

Williams, a first-round pick in 2009, has been fined this season for showing up late to practices and he was sent home from another game for failing to follow team policy. He was shipped to the Nets' D-League affiliate in Springfield, Mass., for a couple of games before being brought back to the team last week.

He is averaging 6.7 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists this season.

Buck
12-14-2010, 09:39 PM
LOL this isn't really anything to get excited about, let alone make a thread.

All this did was free up a shit load of cap space. Thats why the Lakers gave up their 1st round pick in addition to Vujacic, because the Nets took Vujacic's contract off their hands.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2010, 09:41 PM
LOL this isn't really anything to get excited about, let alone make a thread.

All this did was free up a shit load of cap space. Thats why the Lakers gave up their 1st round pick in addition to Vujacic, because the Nets took Vujacic's contract off their hands.

That's the whole point, if there's another move coming. Everyone knew Sasha was gone. Wish they could drop Walton.

Buck
12-14-2010, 09:41 PM
That's the whole point, if there's another move coming. Everyone knew Sasha was gone. Wish they could drop Walton.

Hmmm....I didn't think of that. I thought this was just to get under the cap.

RJ
12-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Joe Smith, huh?

He's no Buck Williams.

the Talking Can
12-14-2010, 09:52 PM
a couple of first round picks is pretty good for basically trash

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2010, 10:01 PM
a couple of first round picks is pretty good for basically trash

I will be interested to see how Sasha does. He started missing those 3s and it was all over in LA. I'm thinking they want to sign Shannon Brown to along term deal and this will allow them to do it. I have nothing to really base that on other than Shannon Brown just looks awesome right now. Making big shots, hustling and bringing a consistant intesity this team needs.

Pitt Gorilla
12-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Why would they waste money on a stiff like Walton in the first place?

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Why would they waste money on a stiff like Walton in the first place?

Every team makes mistakes, this was one of theirs. He didn't have the back issues when they gave him the big contract either.

the Talking Can
12-14-2010, 10:11 PM
I will be interested to see how Sasha does. He started missing those 3s and it was all over in LA. I'm thinking they want to sign Shannon Brown to along term deal and this will allow them to do it. I have nothing to really base that on other than Shannon Brown just looks awesome right now. Making big shots, hustling and bringing a consistant intesity this team needs.

i'm not a lakers fan, but brown has always seemed like a valuable piece off the bench, i'm sure they want to keep him..you can't teach the kind of athleticism he has

but it seems like a great trade for a team like new jersey, those picks give them a lot of options in the next couple of years....

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2010, 10:16 PM
i'm not a lakers fan, but brown has always seemed like a valuable piece off the bench, i'm sure they want to keep him..you can't teach the kind of athleticism he has

but it seems like a great trade for a team like new jersey, those picks give them a lot of options in the next couple of years....

I agree, NJ needs to bring in a lot of fresh young talent and this gives them the ability to do it.

Brown gets better every year. His 3 point shooting is off the charts as is his intensity. 2nd team hits the floor they usually take off under Shannon. They need a 4 or 5 year deal on that guy.

DaneMcCloud
12-14-2010, 10:30 PM

Most likely, a couple of those picks will go in Denver's direction for 'Melo.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2010, 10:31 PM

Melo wants to play for the Knicks and will only sign with that team.

BossChief
12-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Sasha will be missed come playoff time. He was a good role player.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Sasha will be missed come playoff time. He was a good role player.

Not with Shannon playing the way he is. This was a good move especailly if it allows them to sign him to a long term contract.

DaneMcCloud
12-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Melo wants to play for the Knicks and will only sign with that team.

He's from Brooklyn (where the Nets are moving with a new arena to open soon) and word is, he'll take that deal, especially with Avery as coach.

WebGem
12-14-2010, 10:36 PM
KNICKS NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sassy Squatch
12-14-2010, 10:38 PM
I saw on ESPN that he would ONLY sign with the Knicks, nowhere else.

the Talking Can
12-14-2010, 10:39 PM

if that happened, then the trade was a gigantic win....

WebGem
12-14-2010, 10:40 PM
I saw on ESPN that he would ONLY sign with the Knicks, nowhere else.

I've seen that in about 5,000,000 articles too, it doesn't mean shit really. If I had to guess I'd say it's true, but how can anyone be sure? Hell, he might not even know until another deal is proposed to him. I am hoping really badly this happens, being a Knicks fan has sucked badly for quite a while now.

Al Bundy
12-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Joe Smith is still playing?

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2010, 10:56 PM
He's from Brooklyn (where the Nets are moving with a new arena to open soon) and word is, he'll take that deal, especially with Avery as coach.

I can't tell you what really is, I can only tell you what he is saying.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2010, 11:04 PM
if that happened, then the trade was a gigantic win....

Melo is an O weapon for sure. That being said he doesn't play D and the last interview I saw with him he came off as the most arrogant guy I have ever seen. "I wouldn't want to have to guard me" Whatever you punk ass bitch. Kobe doesn't talk like that. MJ never acted like that. Magic, Bird, Kareem whoever. Melo is all about Melo. He could give a fuck about the game, the team, winning. As long as he's gettin his. Then again the Nets are notorious for picking up players like that. Maybe they can sign him to a massive contact only to let him ride the pine.

penchief
12-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Melo is an O weapon for sure. That being said he doesn't play D and the last interview I saw with him he came off as the most arrogant guy I have ever seen. "I wouldn't want to have to guard me" Whatever you punk ass bitch. Kobe doesn't talk like that. MJ never acted like that. Magic, Bird, Kareem whoever. Melo is all about Melo. He could give a **** about the game, the team, winning. As long as he's gettin his. Then again the Nets are notorious for picking up players like that. Maybe they can sign him to a massive contact only to let him ride the pine.

I agree. The Knicks team chemistry is developing really well. The guys they'd have to give up in a trade for Anthony would probably disrupt that chemistry. Chandler, Gallinari, and Fields are all three very good developing players who are not close to reaching their potential. I'd like to keep all three rather than bring in a guy who is going to demand that the offense revolve around him.

Buck
12-14-2010, 11:47 PM

Well he was born in Brooklyn but he moved to Baltimore when he was 8. I doubt he really has roots in Brooklyn. Could be wrong though.

the Talking Can
12-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Melo is an O weapon for sure. That being said he doesn't play D and the last interview I saw with him he came off as the most arrogant guy I have ever seen. "I wouldn't want to have to guard me" Whatever you punk ass bitch. Kobe doesn't talk like that. MJ never acted like that. Magic, Bird, Kareem whoever. Melo is all about Melo. He could give a **** about the game, the team, winning. As long as he's gettin his. Then again the Nets are notorious for picking up players like that. Maybe they can sign him to a massive contact only to let him ride the pine.

i agree, and i don't think he'll ever win a title...but, in the nba there is a finite number of star players and he is one and i think you should grab one whenever you can and figure the rest out later

the only other option is losing a shitload and hoping you get lucky in the lottery with a wade/james/rose etc...(i think rose is going to a be a big ass star)

basically you have to surround him with grittier players, or hope he wises up as he ages and realizes what it takes be a championship team...

even if he doesn't, which team would you rather be for the last 4 years: the nets or the nuggets?

in terms of wins and box office, i think it's a no-brain-er

DJ's left nut
12-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Vujacic is terrible, absolutely terrible.

That said - he was an unexpected critical contributor to that 2008 finals run. And while they didn't win it, they learned a lot about themselves throughout those playoffs that they clearly drew on in the next 2 seasons.

I'm glad he's gone, but I won't forget his contributions to the squad.