PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto radiator hell

Psyko Tek
12-18-2010, 03:23 PM
I have a 99 olds silhouette, it is my son's father's oldsmobile.

radiator sprung a leak

started having serious overheating problems
so I bought a new radiator

no problem
I can do this

I am now looking at the engine struts and crossmembers that go over the radiator, and thinking maybe I can't
one guy at work suggested taking it out the bottom

anybody have experiences with these wonderful pieces of shit?

and yeah I tried ANTIFREEZE

Bane
12-18-2010, 03:25 PM
"and yeah I tried ANTIFREEZE"ROFLROFLROFL

Good luck but that's one thing I've never worked on.

SAUTO
12-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Antifreeze will give you a raging headache.

its not as daunting as it looks.

Take out the three or four 13mm bolts that hold the dogbones to the radiator support and flip them up. Un plug the fans and remove the 10 mm bolts that hold the fans in. take off the trans cooler lines and upper and lower hoses. Then there are two brackets that hold the top of the radiator in, poul those
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
12-18-2010, 03:33 PM
pull those and the radiator should angle towards the engine and up. Install in reverse order. Make sure you bled the system when done.

Note this could be a little different I'm just going by memory here but the basics will be the same.
Don't remember anyof those that go out the bottom.
Posted via Mobile Device

Psyko Tek
12-18-2010, 03:36 PM
pull those and the radiator should angle towards the engine and up. Install in reverse order. Make sure you bled the system when done.

Note this could be a little different I'm just going by memory here but the basics will be the same.
Don't remember anyof those that go out the bottom.
Posted via Mobile Device

your memory is reinforced by what I have found on line
thank you for your input

can I get this done before game time tomorrow?

SAUTO
12-18-2010, 03:42 PM
With air tools it takes me About an hour. Then bleeding is always tricky. If you run into problems with the bleeding I can talk you through it but it would be easier over the phone. If you want I will pm you my digits.

Basically if you take a funnel that is the size of the radiator neck, you may have to cut the end off, and fill up the funnel HIGHER than the engine, run it and then open the bleeders you should be ok. I have some other tricks too. Like jacking the passenger side up as high as you can.
Posted via Mobile Device

Psyko Tek
12-18-2010, 03:50 PM
oh I have bled this bitch before
lost a hose 3 years ago,
wan't that good but I got it
I may limp along until next weekend when I have a three day weekend instead of tomorrow morning to do it

SAUTO
12-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Any problems just pm and I'll give you whatever help I can...oh I have bled this bitch before
lost a hose 3 years ago,
wan't that good but I got it
I may limp along until next weekend when I have a three day weekend instead of tomorrow morning to do it
Posted via Mobile Device

Psyko Tek
12-18-2010, 04:19 PM
thank you very much for your help
I will pm you when I fuck up

Have a Merry Christmas

BigChiefFan
12-18-2010, 04:30 PM
You got some good advice. I would also add, that there should be a drain valve near the bottom of the radiator, that you can turn to bleed the anti-freeze out of it, by placing a large container underneath it. The drain valve is smaller than a golfball. Do this before you pull both ends of the hose off.

Also, in this weather, I would recommend going ahead and getting it done. You don't want to be stranded in zero digit temps.

Just realized you're in Arizona, but your radiator works with heating and cooling. You can do it.

Psyko Tek
12-18-2010, 04:35 PM
anti-freeze?
anti-freeze is for kids

I have been running water since I found the leak

I drive 20 miles a day
think I can limp her through until I have enough time to correct mistakes
like hey dipshit do you have hose clamps?

vailpass
12-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Did you try the radiator leak stuff they sell at Autozone?

BigChiefFan
12-18-2010, 04:39 PM
anti-freeze?
anti-freeze is for kids

I have been running water since I found the leak

I drive 20 miles a day
think I can limp her through until I have enough time to correct mistakes
like hey dipshit do you have hose clamps?

20 miles on a leaky radiator? It depends on the size of the leak, but in my experiences, the answer would be no. I err on the side of caution, though. If your radiator blows, it's a steam bath for your windshield and the car won't be moving from that point.

SAUTO
12-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Please don't
Posted via Mobile Device

Psyko Tek
12-18-2010, 04:49 PM

yeah, sorta ashamed of it
was gonna sell it right before the water pump went
and then I found the radiator leak

so far I fill I the rad when it's cool and the reservoir when it's not I have been OK

been out of work since may ( mostly got 2 months in summe)
so this is the first time I have had time to do it right
except I don't have time
If it takes jason 1 hour I figure I got an all day job if it's perfect and this is my only working vehicle
unless somebody knows where I can get a carb for a 78 honda twinstar?

vailpass
12-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Please don't
Posted via Mobile Device

As a professional mechanic I'm interested in hearing your reason for saying so.

Psy's is an old car and the radiator is bust anyway. Better than driving it 20 miles a day empty isn't it?

Last summer the rad on my sandrail started leaking some in the middle of the dunes.Buddy had some rad leak fix, put it in and havent had a leak since. I'm going to change the rad one of these days but as of now it isn't leaking.

Baby Lee
12-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Hope this helps

SAUTO
12-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Air tools are my best friends. yeah, sorta ashamed of it
was gonna sell it right before the water pump went
and then I found the radiator leak

so far I fill I the rad when it's cool and the reservoir when it's not I have been OK

been out of work since may ( mostly got 2 months in summe)
so this is the first time I have had time to do it right
except I don't have time
If it takes jason 1 hour I figure I got an all day job if it's perfect and this is my only working vehicle
unless somebody knows where I can get a carb for a 78 honda twinstar?
Posted via Mobile Device

googlegoogle
12-18-2010, 04:55 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u617P7g3O7I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u617P7g3O7I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

SAUTO
12-18-2010, 04:56 PM
One and you would probably be ok. But on an old car with sludge already sitting in coolant ports and heater cores you are asking for issues. Most leaks don't stop with one bottle and then inexperienced people will add more.
Recipe for trouble just add before you get in the car and start it until you can repairAs a professional mechanic I'm interested in hearing your reason for saying so.

Psy's is an old car and the radiator is bust anyway. Better than driving it 20 miles a day empty isn't it?

Last summer the rad on my sandrail started leaking some in the middle of the dunes.Buddy had some rad leak fix, put it in and havent had a leak since. I'm going to change the rad one of these days but as of now it isn't leaking.
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
12-18-2010, 04:59 PM
One and you would probably be ok. But on an old car with sludge already sitting in coolant ports and heater cores you are asking for issues. Most leaks don't stop with one bottle and then inexperienced people will add more.
Recipe for trouble just add before you get in the car and start it until you can repair
Posted via Mobile Device

Got ya. You forgot more about cars than I ever knew so I wasn't questioning you, just thinking of some way Psy could keep his daily driver running until he could have it fixed.
Cheers.

SAUTO
12-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Got ya. You forgot more about cars than I ever knew so I wasn't questioning you, just thinking of some way Psy could keep his daily driver running until he could have it fixed.
Cheers.
Yeah its hard when its all you have to drive. I've had to deal with the aftermath though lol. But if he only went with one bottle he may be ok especially if he flushed it good and probably replace the thermostat when replacing the radiator
Posted via Mobile Device

Psyko Tek
12-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Hope this helps

it ain't gonna hurt
thanks

will throw it on my laptop or quick reference