PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs This secondary moving forward

The Bad Guy
12-19-2010, 10:43 PM
This is the spot of the team I'm most excited about. To have a secondary this young and talented is an incredible feeling moving forward.

Eric Berry has had a fantastic year after what started very slow. Kendrick Lewis, when he plays, always seems to be in great position.

Carr has really ascended this year as has Flowers.

I think this unit is already top 10 in the NFL, and another year together they will easily be in the top 5.

Buehler445
12-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Carr is with whom I am the most surprised.

Flowers was a stud. Berry was supposed to be a stud. Lewis was supposed to be smart. Arenas is living up to his draft status. Carr is a 3rd year guy who went from pretty good with an occasional case of bonehead to a flat out baller.

NICE.

OnTheWarpath15
12-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Best overall unit on the team, easily.

The youth there makes it even better.

Sannyasi
12-19-2010, 10:49 PM
The group plays really well together as well. I wasn't sure at first about the decision to put Berry at SS, but Lewis is playing very well for a rookie at FS and they seem to complement each other nicely.

RealSNR
12-19-2010, 10:51 PM
All the Berry doubters can suck on my nuts.

Imagine that guy with a full offseason of preparation, training, and learning.

Next season he's going to immediately contend as a top 5 safety in the NFL.

Bank on it. I am.

salame
12-19-2010, 10:54 PM
I think Arenas is going to end up being really good

J Diddy
12-19-2010, 10:55 PM

Must be the bama....

salame
12-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Must be the bama....

oic

BigChiefFan
12-19-2010, 11:01 PM
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

BossChief
12-19-2010, 11:02 PM
They will be the best unit in the NFL when we add a real NT and another good pass rusher.

Bowser
12-19-2010, 11:05 PM
They will be the best unit in the NFL when we add a real NT and another good pass rusher.

Exactly. Get someone else on the other side of Hali, or God forbid, pressure from the D-Line, THEN let's watch how good they can be.

salame
12-19-2010, 11:05 PM

don't you mean rushbacker with your gay sig

J Diddy
12-19-2010, 11:06 PM
don't you mean rushbacker with your gay sig

Nobody likes bad salami.

ReynardMuldrake
12-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Gilberry wasn't half bad either. I wish he could do that every game.

BossChief
12-19-2010, 11:10 PM
don't you mean rushbacker with your gay sigRushbacker caught on like wildfire for awhile there, but is seldom used nowadays.

Someone gave me the pic for my sig and I told em I would have it for a week.

salame
12-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Rushbacker caught on like wildfire for awhile there, but is seldom used nowadays.

Someone gave me the pic for my sig and I told em I would have it for a week.

someone gave me herpes once
it didn't mean it was a good thing

J Diddy
12-19-2010, 11:16 PM
someone gave me herpes once
it didn't mean it was a good thing

ROFL

Easily cured with tussin.

BigChiefFan
12-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Nobody likes bad salami.I don't know why, but that cracked me up.

Chiefshrink
12-20-2010, 01:23 AM
This is the spot of the team I'm most excited about. To have a secondary this young and talented is an incredible feeling moving forward.

Eric Berry has had a fantastic year after what started very slow. Kendrick Lewis, when he plays, always seems to be in great position.

I think this unit is already top 10 in the NFL, and another year together they will easily be in the top 5.

No doubt we have a sh**load of DB talent that will only get better "IF" we continue to improve our pass rush. Our pass rush has been very 'inconsistent' this yr. When we get good pressure our 2ndary plays well and when we don't our 2ndary gets eaten alive regardless of talent. Which any team regardless of DB talent will get toasted more often when there is very little pass rush if any. As you know this is just a basic defensive fundamental understanding regarding good DB play that is a result of a good pass rush.

In retrospect you have to analyze those past games where our D-line had good pressure and were those teams that we had good pressure considered to have good O-lines? Which IMHO they were average to below average O-lines in which today I put the Rams in that same category. Our D line is mediocre at best and really still struggles against the run and getting a good pass rush on those above average O-lines. Don't get me wrong I still realize we are still in rebuilding mode and Pioli is still putting the right pieces in place.

But IMHO if we want to see another Albert Lewis/Deron Cherry ect... type era then we need another Derrick,Neil and Salemeau type D-line which I doubt
we will ever see again but we can get close.

cmh6476
12-20-2010, 08:42 AM
yeah arenas deserves some props as the Nickel as well.

Now we just have to hope in the next couple years we select some LBers and can start touting that unit as well.

Sofa King
12-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Gilberry wasn't half bad either. I wish he could do that every game.

yeah, i wish he could average 48 sacks per year as well.. pretty sure we all do..

boy o boy, we'd really have something then.

booger
12-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Carr's knack or i guess timing for breaking up passes and tipping the ball at the last second is pretty remarkable.

Good to see Lewis get those pics yesterday to boost his confidence. He's been inconsistant even when healthy but looking better than expected for a 5th rounder.

Mr. Laz
12-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Hopefully Arenas will continue to improve

I have my doubts about Lewis, but we'll see

Chief Henry
12-20-2010, 09:39 AM

:thumb:

To think that these kids have the Chiefs in control of our own destiny is one of the best things about whats happening to our franchise.

bsp4444
12-20-2010, 09:45 AM
It sure does give us some breathing room as far as next year's draft is concerned. We need a bigger center to contend with the 3-4 Defenses we will see next year.

HemiEd
12-20-2010, 09:51 AM

Agreed, I was watching Raji last night with a lot of envy.

But with the current success pattern, it is hard to argue with their moves too much.

salame
12-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Agreed, I was watching Raji last night with a lot of envy.

But with the current success pattern, it is hard to argue with their moves too much.

I really really wanted Raji last year

2bikemike
12-20-2010, 10:39 AM
No doubt we have a sh**load of DB talent that will only get better "IF" we continue to improve our pass rush. Our pass rush has been very 'inconsistent' this yr. When we get good pressure our 2ndary plays well and when we don't our 2ndary gets eaten alive regardless of talent. Which any team regardless of DB talent will get toasted more often when there is very little pass rush if any. As you know this is just a basic defensive fundamental understanding regarding good DB play that is a result of a good pass rush.

In retrospect you have to analyze those past games where our D-line had good pressure and were those teams that we had good pressure considered to have good O-lines? Which IMHO they were average to below average O-lines in which today I put the Rams in that same category. Our D line is mediocre at best and really still struggles against the run and getting a good pass rush on those above average O-lines. Don't get me wrong I still realize we are still in rebuilding mode and Pioli is still putting the right pieces in place.

But IMHO if we want to see another Albert Lewis/Deron Cherry ect... type era then we need another Derrick,Neil and Salemeau type D-line which I doubt
we will ever see again but we can get close.

This right here sums it up very well. If you watch how Oakland harrassed Phillip Rivers in their victory over the Bolts it was classic. Rivers couldn't do anything to get his team going.

It is what scares me about the Oakland game. They have been doing a good job of controlling the LOS on both sides of the ball. I don't think we match up well with them. I still think we can beat them if we play a very good game and can harrass them into some big mistakes.

I don't really have a clue about Tennessee and don't really know what to expect on Sunday. It appears Collins played pretty well yesterday and they put it to Houston.

mcaj22
12-20-2010, 10:49 AM
yea Raji is a beast for his second year. Packers move him at every spot on the D-line but he's been strictly NT now since they are so injury depleted. The guy is huge.

beach tribe
12-20-2010, 10:50 AM

This could be the best unit in the league as early as next season.

RealSNR
12-20-2010, 10:53 AM
:thumb:

To think that these kids have the Chiefs in control of our own destiny is one of the best things about whats happening to our franchise.They're not really kids. You're just old, that's all.

The Franchise
12-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Hopefully Arenas will continue to improve

I have my doubts about Lewis, but we'll see

What doubts? You can tell that when he's not playing.....the defense isn't doing that great of a job.

Chiefnj2
12-20-2010, 11:04 AM
To me Lewis' impact has been absolutely amazing.

Not as much as "wow look at Lewis lighting it up", but more of a "god-dam this defense is awful without Lewis." I'd love to see a breakdown of game film of KC's defense with and without Lewis and see why they break down without him.

salame
12-20-2010, 11:05 AM
yea Raji is a beast for his second year. Packers move him at every spot on the D-line but he's been strictly NT now since they are so injury depleted. The guy is huge.

I was wrong however about Ron Brace

Pushead2
12-20-2010, 11:06 AM

I agree too...

beer bacon
12-20-2010, 11:08 AM
yeah arenas deserves some props as the Nickel as well.

Now we just have to hope in the next couple years we select some LBers and can start touting that unit as well.

The only big hole at LB is the other OLB spot. Hali and DJ are both good starters. Belcher is serviceable. Vrabel is over the hill, but Studebaker might grow into the role.

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 11:10 AM

I said Raji would be a top defensive player in the league before too long. He's on his way to proving me right and I hope he does. I'm pissed we didn't draft him also.

salame
12-20-2010, 11:27 AM
I said Raji would be a top defensive player in the league before too long. He's on his way to proving me right and I hope he does. I'm pissed we didn't draft him also.

you guys could field a pretty good 3-4 defense I don't know why you don't

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 11:30 AM
you guys could field a pretty good 3-4 defense I don't know why you don't

Personally I'm fine w/ what we're working w/. Our front 4 has enough people to rotate (could use a small amount of more depth) and can cause pressure making our blitzing more effective. We have the OLB tweeners for a 3-4 but we're using them as 4-3 OLBs...... why? I could tell ya.

We need OLB help, badly. Wimbley has been a nice surprise though except when he's trying to cover someone. He just looks silly then.

mlyonsd
12-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Props to the secondary but I think it had just as much to do with the heat being put on Bradford. If we could get that consistently I wouldn't have to hold my breath on every 3rd down.

salame
12-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Personally I'm fine w/ what we're working w/. Our front 4 has enough people to rotate (could use a small amount of more depth) and can cause pressure making our blitzing more effective. We have the OLB tweeners for a 3-4 but we're using them as 4-3 OLBs...... why? I could tell ya.

We need OLB help, badly. Wimbley has been a nice surprise though except when he's trying to cover someone. He just looks silly then.

it's because he is a damn defensive end playing outside lb in a 4-3 hahah

Rausch
12-20-2010, 11:36 AM

Lewis is what amazes me.

How many years did we have safeties that kept getting burned deep again, and again, and again, and again?

If teams could do it they would do it.

The fact they can't with two rookies back there makes me go a big rubbery one...