PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL Playoff Picture: In some strange universe the NFC West exists legitimately

Shogun
12-19-2010, 11:23 PM
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2010/12/19/1886554/nfl-playoff-picture-in-some-strange-universe-the-nfc-west-exists

I don't know if you've familiar with Zen Buddhism or not, but if you buy into the whole thing at least on a philisophical level, then you know in some world the NFC West is not a complete joke. Maybe it's a state of consciousness thing and shitty teams are respected for their humility and honorable deaths at the hands of sort-of-supierior opponents.

Whatever, I'm a dialectical Marxist, with slight bent toward major slacker. I know it doesn't matter. Power structures are replaced by newer, better power structures. Systems live so that they might die, the universal truth of both Buddha and Engels. The West Coast Offense eventually becomes a glorified I formation...Marty Schottenheimer's Valhalla, where heroes are honored with sacrifices of 4- 5- and 6-yards of progress.

All that late night bullshit is nothing more than an introduction a brief treatise on the charitable gift that is known as the NFC West title. Yes, that's right, mediocrity has a title. All four quota-fillers that are the NFC West lost this week.

That means the St. Louis Rams, with a 6-8 record, are still in first place, still owning a golden ticket to the playoffs, even if it means getting booted with the ease and disdain as that first kid dispatched by the weirdo and his chocolate factory. All that changes next week, when the division gets the chance to implode all over itself with an absolute must-win game, more must-win than even this week's must-win game, for the Rams over the visiting San Francisco 49ers.

just in case you missed it, the St. Louis Rams are still leading the NFC West. Seattle and Arizona (already eliminated) travel to Tampa Bay and Dallas, respectively, guaranteeing certain loss. That means the Rams, who play the San Francisco 49ers, control the fate of the division.

Anyway, I don't know where the hell I'm going here, other than to say that the St. Louis Rams, weirdly, could win the division (though the performance of the offense today says otherwise).

That's cosmic justice. It also works with the whole dialectical thing in that you've got a three teams in decline with the Rams being the one team that has some reason for hope in the future. Of course, another year of doctrinaire west coast offense, hereafter known as the Midwest Coast Offense, could end all that pretty quickly.

Let's see what happens.

This post brought to you by a delicious mix of Canadian Club (yeah, so?), lemon juice, boiling water, honey, and 3-4 cloves jammed into a fat slice of lemon.

Well written imo.

Deberg_1990
12-19-2010, 11:24 PM
heh, Rams lose today, and sit atop the division at 6-8 ROFL

They are going to cause a true good team like the Packers, Giants or Bucs to sit at home with a better record.

OnTheWarpath15
12-19-2010, 11:30 PM

They are going to cause a true good team like the Packers, Giants or Bucs to sit at home with a better record.

I'm probably in the minority, but the teams with the best 6 records in each conference should get playoff spots.

It's ridiculous that a team like STL or Seattle will get a spot over one of the 3 teams you mentioned, and get a fucking home game to boot.

Why should a 10-6 team (as an example) be punished for playing in a tough division, while a shitty team gets in BECAUSE they play in a weak division?

cdcox
12-19-2010, 11:32 PM
With two weeks left in the season, SF is still mathematically alive for both the playoffs and the overall #2 pick in the draft.

kysirsoze
12-19-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but the teams with the best 6 records in each conference should get playoff spots.

It's ridiculous that a team like STL or Seattle will get a spot over one of the 3 teams you mentioned, and get a ****ing home game to boot.

Why should a 10-6 team (as an example) be punished for playing in a tough division, while a shitty team gets in BECAUSE they play in a weak division?

I agree on the home field advantage, but I like an automatic bid for division winners. It makles division games and rivalries way more intense. (better)

kysirsoze
12-19-2010, 11:34 PM
With two weeks left in the season, SF is still mathematically alive for both the playoffs and the overall #2 pick in the draft.

LMAO That is amazing.

OnTheWarpath15
12-19-2010, 11:36 PM
I agree on the home field advantage, but I like an automatic bid for division winners. It makles division games and rivalries way more intense. (better)

Rivalries are for fans.

The best 12 teams should play in the playoffs, IMO.

12-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Rivalries are for fans.

Going to 4 divisions in each conference is to blame for this.

Frankie
12-19-2010, 11:43 PM

Only to a point. I bet in the off season the NFL will pass a ruling by which you cannot be PO-qualified unless you at least have an 8-8 record, even if you win your division. I don't think that really hurts divisional rivalries.

Buck
12-19-2010, 11:47 PM
I think any Division winner should automatically qualify for the post season. The 1-6 seeds should be determined by record only. Theoretically you could have 2 teams from the same division with first round byes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mama Hip Rockets
12-19-2010, 11:56 PM

:spock:

The Bucs are NOT a good team. You realize they just lost at home to the Lions today, right?

Frankie
12-20-2010, 12:10 AM
:spock:

The Bucs are NOT a good team. You realize they just lost at home to the Lions today, right?

Lions have been coming on strong recently.

KurtCobain
12-20-2010, 12:14 AM

They're gonna be tough once Stafford can beat the injury bug. They came from absolutely nothing, and IMO are coming along faster than expected

CaliforniaChief
12-20-2010, 12:15 AM
You know the competition committee's probably going to tackle this one. They tend to act when crap like this happens.

WebGem
12-20-2010, 12:18 AM
I think any Division winner should automatically qualify for the post season. The 1-6 seeds should be determined by record only. Theoretically you could have 2 teams from the same division with first round byes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Definitely. If a division winner didn't get to the playoffs that would be really stupid. Winning your division has to mean something.

CrazyPhuD
12-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Rivalries are for fans.

Well while I agree to a point you could argue then that the chiefs shouldn't be in the playoff discuss if we're talking about the best 12 teams since our record is the result of our division, playing the NFC west and playing a 4th place schedule.

The problem with just taking the top records is that while it would eliminate a really weak division, it would also likely eliminate a really strong division that has more losses because they play some of the best teams twice.

While the system we have is imperfect, I'm not sure there is a more perfect system out there.

Mama Hip Rockets
12-20-2010, 12:31 AM

26 losses in a row on the road is not coming on strong.