PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Jets or the Ravens in the Playoffs?

Tertullian
12-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Let's assume that the Chiefs, the Jets, and the Ravens make the playoffs. The Jets and the Ravens being WC.

Who do you want to play?

Dayze
12-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Jets.

jjchieffan
J-E-T-S
The Ravens will destroy us.

-King-
Jets. And its not even close. We can beat the Jets with no real luck. We need major luck to beat the Ravens.

Amnorix
12-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Ravens are the better team. There isn't all that much doubt to be honest. And I'd think they're a particularly bad matchup for a run-oriented team like KC.

Alot of people up here think the Ravens are a bad matchup for the Pats, but I think that's more based on past history -- Ravens-Pats games have historically been tight, and last year's playoff loss was ugly. This is a completely different Pats team now, hoever, and I don't think the Ravens are a bad matchup for the Pats at all.

I think the Chiefs may well be a very bad matchup for the Pats, however. A dominant running game to help keep Brady on the sideline isn't really what we want to see, as Patriots fans.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 03:52 PM
This just came up in the playoff scenario thread.

and the best thing about that scenario would be this:

we get the 3...we'd likely face the Jets...that's a very winnable game at Arrowhead...

and then we'd advance to play Pitt...we get a bounce or two and win that game...

I honestly think we'd have a pretty good shot at hosting the AFC Championship game...Indy can beat New England...

I'm cheering for a Colts @ Chiefs AFC Championship Game...we can beat the Colts @ Arrowhead.

So, the Chiefs haven't even played a team that currently has 10 wins, much less beat one... and they haven't beat a team that's currently over .500 since October, and you honestly think they have a pretty good shot at being a bounce or two away from the Super Bowl?

Seriously?

well it may sound ridiculous, but the only stretch he's making is winning @ Pittsburgh.

We can win out in the regular season. We might not, but it would shock no one. If the Jets have to play us in Arrowhead, that game is winnable. The Jets could definitely beat us, but again it would shock no one if they dont.

I do think we get skunked @ Heinz Field, but who knows. We win that game in a crazy-ass fluke and Manning turns it on in the playoffs...

I'd expect to get paid off at least 10:1 in that wager (chiefs to host the AFC championship game, yes or no) if we finish the regular season as the #3 seed hosting the Jets, but it could happen.

Agreed.

I don't see us beating Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh. Not without a LOT of breaks.

As crazy as it sounds, we'd have a much better chance of beating NE on the road - we just matchup better against them. Plus, there are a couple of coaches on this staff that might make a difference in that game.

As it stands now, would you rather be the #3 seed, play the Jets, then Pittsburgh, or would you rather be the #4 seed, which presents a tougher WC matchup against Baltimore, but a better matchup in the Divisional Round should you win WCW?

the Talking Can
12-21-2010, 03:53 PM
It has to be the Jets.

The Cosmos says so.

Skyy God
I'd prefer facing the Sanchize to Bert.

OnTheWarpath15
Ravens are the better team. There isn't all that much doubt to be honest. And I'd think they're a particularly bad matchup for a run-oriented team like KC.

Alot of people up here think the Ravens are a bad matchup for the Pats, but I think that's more based on past history -- Ravens-Pats games have historically been tight, and last year's playoff loss was ugly. This is a completely different Pats team now, hoever, and I don't think the Ravens are a bad matchup for the Pats at all.

I think the Chiefs may well be a very bad matchup for the Pats, however. A dominant running game to help keep Brady on the sideline isn't really what we want to see, as Patriots fans.

Exactly my thinking.

Reerun_KC
12-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Either would be okay... No reason why we couldnt beat either one of them...

the Talking Can
12-21-2010, 03:55 PM
I think the Chiefs are a tough match for anyone at Arrowhead.

Reerun_KC
12-21-2010, 03:55 PM
That is assuming we dont jack around and get smoked at home in the next two weeks.

I would rather win those first...

Reerun_KC
12-21-2010, 03:56 PM
I think the Chiefs are a tough match for anyone at Arrowhead.

Agreed

Hammock Parties
12-21-2010, 03:56 PM
It has to be the Jets.

The Cosmos says so.

The drafturbators meet their DOOM!

raybec 4
12-21-2010, 03:58 PM
The Ravens would skull fuck the Chiefs, the Jets always seem to be just a Rex Ryan cupcake away from a complete collapse but it never happens. I think the Jets is their best hope for a deeper run.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Either would be okay... No reason why we couldnt beat either one of them...

We've yet to win a game when we've been held under 140 yards - without the help of a defensive or special teams TD.

Baltimore has a much better chance of holding down our run game than the Jets, IMHO.

Reerun_KC
12-21-2010, 04:03 PM
We've yet to win a game when we've been held under 140 yards - without the help of a defensive or special teams TD.

Baltimore has a much better chance of holding down our run game than the Jets, IMHO.

Thats okay, Strange shit happens in the playoffs... You never know what just might happen...

I will take our chances, Hell year two of a complete and total un-Herming of a team to make the playoffs?

Its okay with me... Bring on B-more or the Jets... IF you want to be taken seriously, youre going to have to beat those kinds of teams. And if we dont this year? So freaking what? It was a great ride for a rebuilding 6 win projected team.

Thats my take on it....

ChiefsCountry
12-21-2010, 04:04 PM
http://topnotchentertainment.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/mark-sanchez-new-york-jets.jpg

vs

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Houston+Texans+v+Kansas+City+Chiefs+EpLYcbUgavcl.jpg

-King-
12-21-2010, 04:04 PM
http://topnotchentertainment.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/mark-sanchez-new-york-jets.jpg

vs

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Houston+Texans+v+Kansas+City+Chiefs+EpLYcbUgavcl.jpg

Chiefs planet blows up.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Thats okay, Strange shit happens in the playoffs... You never know what just might happen...

I will take our chances, Hell year two of a complete and total un-Herming of a team to make the playoffs?

Its okay with me... Bring on B-more or the Jets... IF you want to be taken seriously, youre going to have to beat those kinds of teams. And if we dont this year? So freaking what? It was a great ride for a rebuilding 6 win projected team.

Thats my take on it....

Go ahead and take your chances.

Since I'm being given a choice in the matter, thanks to the OP, I'll take the team that we have a much, much better chance of beating.

Bewbies
12-21-2010, 04:08 PM
I may run out on the Interstate buttass naked if we win a playoff game..!

Reerun_KC
12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Go ahead and take your chances.

Since I'm being given a choice in the matter, thanks to the OP, I'll take the team that we have a much, much better chance of beating.

We I dont have much choice or control over the situation... I am just a fan...

but sure I would rather see the jets over the Ravens.. but its not completely impossible to beat either one of them...

Either way. This team made huge strides this year, I cant wait til next year... Sad to see this season wind down... (if there is a next year)

Epic Fail 007
12-21-2010, 04:14 PM
why u all concerned over the ravens,they are very average now.I mean yes d has some big names but they are getting old and slow .The thug attitude they are trying to present dose not work anymore.Houston killed bal d.Lewis and Reed are not what they once were.And their offense very average .Bash me or whatever I don`t care.They just 1 of many average teams with old big names.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Why is everyone so convinced of the Raven dominance? Their defense this year has been vulnerable and Flacco hasn't been that good in the playoffs to be honest.
Posted via Mobile Device

IA_Chiefs_fan
12-21-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd slightly prefer to play the Jets. I think we have a chance of beating anyone at home in the Playoffs. I don't think we have a very good chance at all going to someone else's house and winning. A Playoff win would feel amazing after the Herm years we endured!

Reerun_KC
12-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Why is everyone so convinced of the Raven dominance? Their defense this year has been vulnerable and Flacco hasn't been that good in the playoffs to be honest.
Posted via Mobile Device

alot of it goes back to the mindset of some Cp members... Pioli doesnt draft at all, Haley loses the team, everyone has Pro Bowlers at every postion and were just damn lucky to have 53 players, let alone the right 53...

We might win or hell we might lose, but this team is getting better and moving in the right direction...

IA_Chiefs_fan
12-21-2010, 04:21 PM
We might win or hell we might lose, but this team is getting better and moving in the right direction...

Amen!:thumb:

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

We don't match up well against Baltimore - at all.

While it would be a touch game against the Jets as well, I think we match up much better against NYJ than the Ravens.

Amnorix
12-21-2010, 04:27 PM
As it stands now, would you rather be the #3 seed, play the Jets, then Pittsburgh, or would you rather be the #4 seed, which presents a tougher WC matchup against Baltimore, but a better matchup in the Divisional Round should you win WCW?

The quote above was brought into this thread by another poster. What's really interesting/amusing is that Matt Cassel was the QB when the Patriots intentionally lost a game -- the only time during the Belichick era that I've ever seen them do that.

In 2005 the Pats had secured a playoff spot, and the question was whether they would be a 3 or 4 seed. 3 seed got them the Steelers, who would go on to win the SB that year. The 4 seed got them Jacksonville.

Last game of the year was against the Dolphins. IIRC Brady is a healthy scratch, though maybe he played the first quarter or whatever. The Dolphisn build up a big lead, but the Cassel-led Pats come from behind to score a last minute TD to bring the score to 28-26. Two point conversion to tie and send the game into overtime the week before the playoffs begin. Cassel rolls to his right and.....chucks it into the second row.

Pats go on to crush Jacksonville 28-3, with Brady setting a record for playoff completion percentage in that game -- something like 25 of 27, then they lose at Denver in a turnover-filled nightmare (the game where Ben Watson chased down the Broncos all-world CB, whateverhisnameisIcan'tthinkofitrightnow). Steelers go on to win the SB.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 04:28 PM
alot of it goes back to the mindset of some Cp members... Pioli doesnt draft at all, Haley loses the team, everyone has Pro Bowlers at every postion and were just damn lucky to have 53 players, let alone the right 53...

Or it could just be that if you look at the matchups objectively, you see that our strength - running the ball - is also Baltimore's strength.

Baltimore's weakness - defending the pass - is our weakness - passing the ball.

Our OL does not matchup well against their front 7. Run blocking or pass protecting.

It's just all-around a bad matchup for us.

Doesn't mean we couldn't win, but IMO, we'd need several breaks.

Conversely, I'd go into a game against the Jets expecting to win.

We match up much better against them, IMO.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Ngata and Gregg against Waters and Wiegmann = FAIL

Shit, Suggs against B-Rich? Might as well start talking about the draft.

WebGem
12-21-2010, 04:47 PM
poll fail. wheres the poll?

ModSocks
12-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Both matches present huge problems. Both teams can stop our running game and both teams can blitz the fuck out of cassel. whether it be the jets or the Ravens, we're going to have a very hard time scoring points.

so, I'd rather play the team with the more inept offense. Not sure which that is though.

Our DB's match up well with the Ravens WR's, and Flacco is nothing to write home about. Oher has not lived up to the hype and I've watched him struggle seemingly every game.

The Jets may lack a running game, but a mobile QB with fast Wr's can present big problems for our D.

Then again, The Ravens D would rape our o, while we may have a shot against NYJ's D.

It's a toss up IMO.

Fritz88
12-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Ravens have a good offense and a good QB. Ill take the jets
Posted via Mobile Device

FringeNC
12-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Jets @ Chiefs: pick'em

Ravens @ Chiefs: Ravens would be favored by 2.5

ChiefsCountry
12-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Ngata and Gregg against Waters and Wiegmann = FAIL

Shit, Suggs against B-Rich? Might as well start talking about the draft.

I can only imagine the fun you will have with a Chiefs/Jets matchup video wise.

ModSocks
12-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Jets @ Chiefs: pick'em

Ravens @ Chiefs: Ravens would be favored by 2.5

I disagree. The Jets will come to Arrowhead as favorites. They have a lot of offensive weapons and their D can put the clamps down. especially on a somewhat one dimensional O like ours.

Not sure why people are putting a Jets game down as a win.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Both matches present huge problems. Both teams can stop our running game and both teams can blitz the fuck out of cassel. whether it be the jets or the Ravens, we're going to have a very hard time scoring points.

I'm not sure the Jets can stop our run game, and their pass rush has been fucking anemic. Baltimore is stout in both areas, however.

While I don't see us lighting up the scoreboard against either, There's no doubt in my mind we'd score more against NYJ.

12-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Oh I would love for the Chiefs to play the Jets. nightmare scenario for the Jets is going to Indy and getting their asses kicked and their lame ass secondary ravaged by Manning.

Rain Man
12-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Wait a minute. Those are two different teams?

ModSocks
12-21-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure the Jets can stop our run game, and their pass rush has been ****ing anemic. Baltimore is stout in both areas, however.

While I don't see us lighting up the scoreboard against either, There's no doubt in my mind we'd score more against NYJ.

I agree. We would probably have an easier time moving the ball against NYJ, but I think our D will struggle more against NYJ.

Meh, maybe im wrong.

FringeNC
12-21-2010, 04:55 PM
I disagree. The Jets will come to Arrowhead as favorites. They have a lot of offensive weapons and their D can put the clamps down. especially on a somewhat one dimensional O like ours.

How is coin flip putting the Chiefs down as a win? The Jets are the better team, but better by about the same amount as the Arrowhead advantage.

I'm not sure the Jets can stop our run game, and their pass rush has been ****ing anemic. Baltimore is stout in both areas, however.

They're pretty good at stopping the run. but they have absolutely no pass rush unless they blitz.

WebGem
The Jets will not go into KC as a favorite.

ModSocks
12-21-2010, 04:57 PM

Yes they will. If we make the Playoffs, we'll be the underdog throughout. Every fan in the NFL will want their team to play the Chiefs.

12-21-2010, 04:57 PM

That's their game though..lol.if the Jets had a bye and the Chiefs came to the meadowlands I would be more worried. they're 6-1 on the road and 4-3 at home. they have been pathetic after bye weeks and it appears always play better as the underdog.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 04:58 PM
They're pretty good at stopping the run.

Sure didn't look that way Sunday.

100 and a TD for Mendenhall running behind a patchwork OL.

We're in agreement on the pass rush.

Hell, even if NYJ's run defense was as good as Baltimore's, the Raven's pass rush is light years ahead.

Considering KC's passing game is going to be depended on in either matchup, give me the team that struggles to get to the QB without blitzing.

WebGem
12-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Yes they will. If we make the Playoffs, we'll be the underdog throughout. Every fan in the NFL will want their team to play the Chiefs.

If the Jets played at Arrowhead this Sunday, the Chiefs would be favored. There's no reason to think they wouldn't be 2 weeks later.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Agreed.

Pants
12-21-2010, 05:00 PM
I agree. We would probably have an easier time moving the ball against NYJ, but I think our D will struggle more against NYJ.

Meh, maybe im wrong.

Our D struggles against competent QBs. Flacco > Sanchez.

Titty Meat
12-21-2010, 05:00 PM
If our tackles played like they have the last few weeks we won't beat any of those teams.

ModSocks
12-21-2010, 05:02 PM
If the Jets played at Arrowhead this Sunday, the Chiefs would be favored. There's no reason to think they wouldn't be 2 weeks later.

What makes you think that? Just because of the Stadium? Look at our record against good teams.

Now look at the Jets.

Now Look at the Chiefs.

Now back to the Jets

They've played better in big games. Trust me, they'll be favored. and rightly so until the Chiefs beat a team of the Jets caliber.

FringeNC
12-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Baltimore is only -3 at Cleveland this weekend, so Baltimore at an 11-5 Arrowhead? A favorite, but by less than the 2.5 I guessed earlier.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 05:03 PM
If our tackles played like they have the last few weeks we won't beat any of those teams.

If the play of our tackles don't improve, we may not need to worry about who we face in the playoffs.

But to your point, your right, our OL doesn't match up well against Baltimore or the Jets.

ModSocks
12-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Our D struggles against competent QBs. Flacco > Sanchez.

Depends on what Sanchez shows up. Sanchez can be really bad or really good. Flacco has been very "meh" this season.

Skipping the ball on the turf on 4th down vs the Steelers will always remain in my mind. I think Flacco shits the bed in big games.

WebGem
12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Look at our record against good teams.

We beat the Chargers, Browns, 49ers, Bills, Jaguars, possibly the Titans and the Raiders. Those are all very good teams and they would be 7 of our 11 wins.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Depends on what Sanchez shows up. Sanchez can be really bad or really good. Flacco has been very "meh" this season.

Skipping the ball on the turf on 4th down vs the Steelers will always remain in my mind. I think Flacco shits the bed in big games.

Like the first time they played the Steelers?

:D

DrRyan
12-21-2010, 05:06 PM

Funny thing about betting lines is, at my last check, Vegas does not determine betting lines based on opposing teams fans wanting to play the other team. I can't see more than a 5% chance the Jets would be favored.

Sanchez has been pretty awful since the Houston game. Their running game is not nearly what it was last year and the same goes for their defense as a whole. Their pass rush appears to be a shell of last year's self and they are giving up quite a bit through the air.

Not that I would count it as a win, but I would MUCH rather see the Jets come to KC January opposed to Baltimore.

12-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Sure didn't look that way Sunday.

100 and a TD for Mendenhall running behind a patchwork OL.

We're in agreement on the pass rush.

Hell, even if NYJ's run defense was as good as Baltimore's, the Raven's pass rush is light years ahead.

Considering KC's passing game is going to be depended on in either matchup, give me the team that struggles to get to the QB without blitzing.
You're right, they didnt. but they have been pretty solid all year against the run.

I don't think anybody wants to play the Ravens to be honest.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 05:08 PM
We beat the Chargers, Browns, 49ers, Bills, Jaguars, possibly the Titans and the Raiders. Those are all very good teams and they would be 7 of our 11 wins.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2gwgp4j.jpg

ModSocks
12-21-2010, 05:08 PM

The Chargers RAPED us. The Titans just got off a 6 game losing streak. I'll give you the Raiders and Jags though. As long as we beat the Raiders.

ModSocks
12-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Funny thing about betting lines is, at my last check, Vegas does not determine betting lines based on opposing teams fans wanting to play the other team. I can't see more than a 5% chance the Jets would be favored.

Sanchez has been pretty awful since the Houston game. Their running game is not nearly what it was last year and the same goes for their defense as a whole. Their pass rush appears to be a shell of last year's self and they are giving up quite a bit through the air.

Not that I would count it as a win, but I would MUCH rather see the Jets come to KC January opposed to Baltimore.

hopefully we'll see in 3 weeks. I still think the Jets will be favored.

OnTheWarpath15
You're right, they didnt. but they have been pretty solid all year against the run.

I don't think anybody wants to play the Ravens to be honest.

They have, no doubt. You're a Top 5 rush defense statistically.

I just think your run defense is more vulnerable than Baltimore's.

And FWIW, I'd prefer to steer clear of Baltimore and Pittsburgh if at all possible.

BushyTheBeaver

49ers, Browns, Bills, and Titans are "very good" teams? On what planet? Chargers are the only team on that list that qualify as "very good."

WebGem
12-21-2010, 05:11 PM
The Chargers RAPED us.

We beat them at Arrowhead (where the Jets would be), they raped us on the road in the only game where our QB wasn't there.

If the Jets are at Arrowhead in the playoffs the line will be somewhere between pk and KC -2, the Jets will not be favored.

-King-
12-21-2010, 05:11 PM

Meh, maybe im wrong.

How would we struggle more against NYJ?

Flacco >> Sanchez
Boldin >> Holmes
Rice >> Tomlinson
Mason = Edwards
McGahee > Green

Ravens offense is 10 times better than the Jets offense.

-King-
12-21-2010, 05:12 PM
They have, no doubt. You're a Top 5 rush defense statistically.

I just think your run defense is more vulnerable than Baltimore's.

And FWIW, I'd prefer to steer clear of Baltimore and Pittsburgh if at all possible.

Yep pretty much. The playoff teams I'd rather face are Jets, Colts, and Pats, in that order.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 05:12 PM
The Chargers RAPED us. The Titans just got off a 6 game losing streak. I'll give you the Raiders and Jags though. As long as we beat the Raiders.

The Raiders are not a "very good team." Not even close.

The only decent teams we've beaten, we've done so when they were at their worst.

SD opening night was nothing resembling the team they are now, and neither was Jacksonville when we played them. They started a fucking farmer, FFS.

WebGem
12-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Yep pretty much. The playoff teams I'd rather face are Jets, Colts, and Pats, in that order.

If we're playing the Colts in the playoffs, we'll be one win away from the Super Bowl. I'll take that.

DrRyan
12-21-2010, 05:13 PM

Joe Flacco 62.1% comp 3,395 yards 23 TD 8 INT 94.8 QB rating

Mark Sanchez 54.0% comp 3,022 yards 16 TD 12 INT 74.6 QB rating

Flacco is in the top ten in nearly all the QB categories this season and he has been the driving force of the Ravens offense this year. Their running game has struggled mightily most of the year.

Great take though Detox :shake:

Titty Meat
12-21-2010, 05:14 PM
The Raiders are not a "very good team." Not even close.

The only decent teams we've beaten, we've done so when they were at their worst.

SD opening night was nothing resembling the team they are now, and neither was Jacksonville when we played them. They started a ****ing farmer, FFS.

Totally agree. We won based on an easy schedule but who cares i'll take it? As far as talent goes the gap is still pretty wide between SD and KC IMO. However another good draft and maybe a few solid signings and a trade we'll be pretty close. All can be done this off season.

BigRock
Hell, even if NYJ's run defense was as good as Baltimore's

It is as good. In fact, it's much better. You can't base it on one game.

The Jets give up 3.6 yards a carry. Only 3 teams are better against the run. Baltimore gives up 4.0 yards, which is only two-tenths better than our run defense is. And the Ravens' average used to be worse until the Saints decided to drop back and throw 50 times on Sunday.

The Jets could stop our run game AND they have a shutdown corner. Baltimore might be able to stop our run game, and they might be able to take Bowe out of the equation, but I can't see them doing both at once like the Jets could.

I can see why people would want to play the Jets, since maybe Sanchez shits the bed. But actually expecting us to beat them? If Cassel plays a perfect game, we still probably don't score more than 10 against NY.

OnTheWarpath15

Flacco >> Sanchez
Boldin >> Holmes
Rice >> Tomlinson
Mason = Edwards
McGahee > Green

I'll take the Jets WR's every day of the week against the Raven's WR's.

I agree with your opinion at QB and Rice.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 05:16 PM
It is as good. In fact, it's much better. You can't base it on one game.

The Jets give up 3.6 yards a carry. Only 3 teams are better against the run. Baltimore gives up 4.0 yards, which is only two-tenths better than our run defense is. And the Ravens' average used to be worse until the Saints decided to drop back and throw 50 times on Sunday.

The Jets could stop our run game AND they have a shutdown corner. Baltimore might be able to stop our run game, and they might be able to take Bowe out of the equation, but I can't see them doing both at once like the Jets could.

I can see why people would want to play the Jets, since maybe Sanchez shits the bed. But actually expecting us to beat them? If Cassel plays a perfect game, we still probably don't score more than 10 against NY.

I'm not basing it on one game. I mentioned that statistically, the Jets are a Top 5 rushing defense. But I think they're more vulnerable than Baltimore, and I think our OL matches up much better against their front 7 than Baltimore's.

Not taking anything away from the Jets, just feel Baltimore presents a much, much tougher challenge for us offensively.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 05:18 PM
FWIW, this is one of the best football discussions this place has seen in some time.

-King-
12-21-2010, 05:19 PM
I'll take the Jets WR's every day of the week against the Raven's WR's.

I agree with your opinion at QB and Rice.

While Holmes is good, I don't think he's in the same class as Boldin. Edwards is the same as Mason in my mind. Houshmanzedeh is better than Cotchery too.

-King-
12-21-2010, 05:20 PM
FWIW, this is one of the best football discussions this place has seen in some time.

Probably has to do with the fact that we're talking about US being in the playoffs ROFL. Been sometime since we did that.

ModSocks
12-21-2010, 05:21 PM

Flacco >> Sanchez
Boldin >> Holmes
Rice >> Tomlinson
Mason = Edwards
McGahee > Green

If you watch the games, Flacco has been inconsistant. So has Sanchez, but I've Sanchez do some great things.

Boldin is a better matchup for Flowers than Holmes is, regardless who you think is better. Rice is better than Tomlinson but he's been such a disapointment this season. He's not doing THAT much better.

Mason is a better matchup for Carr than Edwards. our DB's struggle against fast receivers. especially big ones.

And McGahee is not better than Green.

10 Times better? No way.

WebGem
12-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Whoever was saying the Jets would be favored, give me a line prediction if they played at Arrowhead this Sunday in a must-win game for both teams.

BigRock
12-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Having seen the other thread, I'm now fully behind the idea of playing the Jets, provided that at all key moments we put a picture of feet up on the screen to befuddle Rex.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 05:24 PM
While Holmes is good, I don't think he's in the same class as Boldin. Edwards is the same as Mason in my mind. Houshmanzedeh is better than Cotchery too.

Wow.

Completely, 100% disagree.

IMO, Holmes is a true WR1. Boldin will never be anything more than a WR2 in my eyes.

Edwards has the skills to be a WR1, he just isn't consistent. And he presents a nightmare matchup for our CB's with his height.

Mason's a WR3 at best.

Where one might be able to argue that all of these guys is comparable is taking into consideration who getting them the ball.

If both QB's are playing at their best, the Jets WR's are much more dangerous, IMO.

-King-
12-21-2010, 05:25 PM
If you watch the games, Flacco has been inconsistant. So has Sanchez, but I've Sanchez do some great things. Prior to last week, Sanchez threw a pick in 8 straight games. He had 3 multi pick games. Flacco has been more consistent than Sanchez.

Boldin is a better matchup for Flowers than Holmes is, regardless who you think is better. Rice is better than Tomlinson but he's been such a disapointment this season. He's not doing THAT much better. Both are hard matchups. I think Flowers would match up on Holmes if we played the Jets, while Carr would match up on Boldin if we played the Ravens.

Hammock Parties
I don't care about stats.

Look at the personnel in NY's front seven:

-------Shaun Ellis Sione Pouha Mike Devito--------

Bryan Thomas Bart Scott David Harris Calvin Pace

Jason Taylor is a shadow of his former self. Not scary at all.

Now, would you rather face that, or:

---------Cory Redding Kelly Gregg Haloti Ngata---------

Terrell Suggs Jameel McClain Ray Lewis Jarret Johnson

And to top it off they have Terrence Cody coming off the bench, keeping Gregg and Ngata fresh.

Throw in the fact that Flacco is gonna hurt you a lot more than Sanchez and it's a no brainer. And no one on New York compares to Ray Rice, IMO.

Halfcan
We need to win 2 more games first.

-King-
12-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Wow.

Completely, 100% disagree.

IMO, Holmes is a true WR1. Boldin will never be anything more than a WR2 in my eyes.

Edwards has the skills to be a WR1, he just isn't consistent. And he presents a nightmare matchup for our CB's with his height.

Mason's a WR3 at best.

Where one might be able to argue that all of these guys is comparable is taking into consideration who getting them the ball.

If both QB's are playing at their best, the Jets WR's are much more dangerous, IMO.

What makes you think Boldin is a #2?

-King-
12-21-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't care about stats.

Look at the personnel in NY's front seven:

-------Shaun Ellis Sione Pouha Mike Devito--------

Bryan Thomas Bart Scott David Harris Calvin Pace

Jason Taylor is a shadow of his former self. Not scary at all.

Now, would you rather face that, or:

---------Cory Redding Kelly Gregg Haloti Ngata---------

Terrell Suggs Jameel McClain Ray Lewis Jarret Johnson

And to top it off they have Terrence Cody coming off the bench, keeping Gregg and Ngata fresh.

Throw in the fact that Flacco is gonna hurt you a lot more than Sanchez and it's a no brainer. And no one on New York compares to Ray Rice, IMO.

Yeah...Ngata would rape Weigmann in every way possible. Dude is a beast.

Titty Meat
12-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Whats the biggest deficit the Chiefs have came back from this year? With the shitty pass rush we have I just see any of the mentioned teams getting out to lead and i'm not sure we comeback from it.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Our bread and butter is running to the left.

Do you want to run at:

Ngata, Lewis and Johnson (who is pretty underrated)

OR

Devito (who the fuck is that?), Harris, Pace

No brainer.

Ngata and Lewis might be the best run stopping lineman and linebacker in the entire league.

Mr. Laz
12-21-2010, 05:33 PM
i dunno ... it's difficult

Ravens have the better QB by far
you really can run on the the Ravens if you keep at it

Jets are better at stopping the run(big key for us)
Jets have the better Oline
Jet's have better run game
Jet's are just better except for the QB position and a retard coach.

If the jets weren't such underachieving fugtards it wouldn't even be close. But they are so i dunno. It has to be at Arrowhead or we have no shot and even then i doubt we can step up. We sure couldn't step up against San Diego.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 05:34 PM
What makes you think Boldin is a #2?

The fact that I don't consider him an elite WR, for starters.

Dude took advantage of playing alongside a true elite WR. Now that he's the Raven's #1, he's been terribly inconsistent.

I read somewhere that in 14 games this year, he's been held to 50 or fewer yards EIGHT times - twice being held under 10 yards. Only three 100-yard games.

Just never been a huge fan. I think Holmes is more talented, and would have better stats than Boldin had he not missed 4 games.

ModSocks
12-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Prior to last week, Sanchez threw a pick in 8 straight games. He had 3 multi pick games. Flacco has been more consistent than Sanchez.

Both are hard matchups. I think Flowers would match up on Holmes if we played the Jets, while Carr would match up on Boldin if we played the Ravens.

Whether Flowers gets Boldin or Mason, both are a better matchup for him than Holmes. Holmes can do it all. Flowers would have a harder time contending with Holmes' speed and quickness.

I honestly think Flowers can shut down either mason of Boldin. Neither of them scare me the way Jets Recievers do. Those boys can really stretch the field.

58-4ever
12-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Imagine how much better we would be had we signed Julius Peppers. And please don't feed me B.S. about differences in the 3-4 and 4-3.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Whether Flowers gets Boldin or Mason, both are a better matchup for him than Holmes. Holmes can do it all. Flowers would have a harder time contending with Holmes' speed and quickness.

I honestly think Flowers can shut down either mason of Boldin. Neither of them scare me the way Jets Recievers do. Those boys can really stretch the field.

Too bad Sanchez can't get them the ball.

Santonio Holmes has had 2 or 3 games to write home about all year. Bowe has had more big games.

Our defense collapses against teams that can throw the ball well...and the Jets don't. And their running game, as D2112 will tell you, has lost a lot of steam.

ModSocks
12-21-2010, 05:47 PM

Not sure how I missed this, but yeah, this.

If Cassel does manage to get time against Balt, Bowe should be able to get seperation.

If Cassel does manage to get time against NYJ, Bowe will be blanketed.

considering that both teams are going to blitz the shit out of Cassel, it's hard to determine which is the better matchup. Both are terrible matchups for us offensively.

It's about who our D matches up with better.

And I like Hali against Oher. And I like Flowers/Carr against Mason or Boldin. Ray Rice has been a non factor most of this year.

WebGem
12-21-2010, 05:47 PM
With respect, I've watched a lot of Jet games this year and their passing attack is not very scary. The receivers drop a LOT of balls. And Sanchez is not an accurate passer. They mostly just run slants and underneath stuff.

Seems like a biased rundown to me. I've seen every single Jets game this year, and every other game since almost a decade ago. The Jets are the one team I don't want at Arrowhead in the playoffs. There's not really much other choices at this point, but I'd gladly face Baltimore if its between them and the Jets.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Ray Rice has been a non factor most of this year.

ROFL

He has 1,600 yards from scrimmage.

I honestly can't believe anyone would want to face Haloti Ngata and Ray Lewis in a do or die game. I don't care who's playing corner....if Suggs is rushing, our offense is gonna get raped.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd like to run at Jason Taylor:

One Pittsburgh native making a homecoming visit who didn’t fare quite so well was Jason Taylor (-5.1), although he would ultimately prove to be one of the heroes.

Taylor didn’t generate a single pressure in 36 pass rush attempts, was pancaked by Chris Kemoeatu on a long run to the outside which set up a touchdown and gave up outside contain at least one other time.

He also had one tackle. However, that tackle was perhaps his biggest as a Jets defender, because he tackled Mewelde Moore in the end zone for a vital safety late in the fourth quarter.

ModSocks
12-21-2010, 05:54 PM
ROFL

I honestly can't believe anyone would want to face Haloti Ngata and Ray Lewis in a do or die game. I don't care who's playing corner....if Suggs is rushing, our offense is gonna get raped.

Dude barely has 1k in rushing and has 7 games averaging less than 4 YPC. Hardly scary.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 05:55 PM
ROFL

Bottom line, Baltimore can get a shit ton of pressure without blitzing, being able to drop more into coverage.

The Jets can't, which means there will be one-on-one matchups available.

The Ravens also get a lot more penetration in their run defense, IMO.

Mr. Laz
12-21-2010, 05:56 PM
when you use the eyeball test or on paper, pretty much everything screams Jets are the more dangerous team.

then you look at the Coach,Quarterback and Heart and those all go to the Ravens

it's the heart that might be key ... Ravens have a ton, Jets look to be a bunch of punks.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Dude barely has 1k in rushing and has 7 games averaging less than 4 YPC. Hardly scary.

Well, I still say he's a damn good player and far from a non factor. He was among the top five in yards from scrimmage a year ago, too. That doesn't happen by accident.

Yds From Scrimmage
<table><tbody><tr class="leader"><td align="right" valign="top">1.</td><td valign="top">Arian Foster (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FostAr00.htm)<small> · HOU (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/2010.htm)</small></td><td align="right" valign="top">1895</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" valign="top">2.</td><td valign="top">Jamaal Charles (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CharJa00.htm)<small> · KAN (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/2010.htm)</small></td><td align="right" valign="top">1718</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" valign="top">3.</td><td valign="top">Maurice Jones-Drew (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DrewMa00.htm)<small> · JAX (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/jax/2010.htm)</small></td><td align="right" valign="top">1641</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" valign="top">4.</td><td valign="top">Ray Rice (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiceRa00.htm)<small> · BAL (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2010.htm)</small></td><td align="right" valign="top">1607</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" valign="top">5.</td><td valign="top">Peyton Hillis (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HillPe00.htm)<small> · CLE (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2010.htm)</small></td><td align="right" valign="top">1598</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" valign="top">6.</td><td valign="top">Darren McFadden (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McFaDa00.htm)<small> · OAK (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rai/2010.htm)</small></td><td align="right" valign="top">1588</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" valign="top">7.</td><td valign="top">LeSean McCoy (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoLe01.htm)<small> · PHI (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2010.htm)</small></td><td align="right" valign="top">1587</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" valign="top">8.</td><td valign="top">Adrian Peterson (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeteAd01.htm)<small> · MIN (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2010.htm)</small></td><td align="right" valign="top">1481</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" valign="top">9.</td><td valign="top">Steven Jackson (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackSt00.htm)<small> · STL (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2010.htm)</small></td><td align="right" valign="top">1473</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" valign="top">10.</td><td valign="top">Chris Johnson (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh04.htm)<small> · TEN (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/2010.htm)</small></td><td align="right" valign="top">1461</td></tr></tbody></table>

Hammock Parties
12-21-2010, 06:01 PM
when you use the eyeball test or on paper, pretty much everything screams Jets are the more dangerous team.

How are we going to run on the Ravens? Explain that to me, seriously.

alnorth
12-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Whats the biggest deficit the Chiefs have came back from this year? With the shitty pass rush we have I just see any of the mentioned teams getting out to lead and i'm not sure we comeback from it.

Biggest 2:

7 points, week 1, 1st quarter vs Chargers (0-7)
6 points, week 15, 1st quarter @ Rams (0-6)

We haven't come back from a big deficit this year. Not to say we cant, but every time we fell behind two possessions we lost.

BushyTheBeaver
12-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Seems like a biased rundown to me. I've seen every single Jets game this year, and every other game since almost a decade ago. The Jets are the one team I don't want at Arrowhead in the playoffs. There's not really much other choices at this point, but I'd gladly face Baltimore if its between them and the Jets.

Oddly most of the Jets fans I know are saying they'd much rather face the Chiefs than Baltimore. :thumb:

I can't imagine Baltimore losing to Miami like the Jets did two weeks ago. Not to mention the Ravens beat the Jets. In NY.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2010, 06:03 PM
I would bet anything the reason the Jets have a statistically better run defense is their schedule. Someone posted their schedule awhile back and they've played a bunch of terrible teams...I bet most of them were lousy running teams.

#1 running team or not, we are not built to block that front seven.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Biggest 2:

7 points, week 1, 1st quarter vs Chargers (0-7)
6 points, week 15, 1st quarter @ Rams (0-6)

We haven't come back from a big deficit this year. Not to say we cant, but every time we fell behind two possessions we lost.

That's the risk you run when you depend so heavily on the run.

This team isn't built to mount a big comeback, IMO.

They're built to play with a lead.

alnorth
12-21-2010, 06:06 PM
That's the risk you run when you depend so heavily on the run.

This team isn't built to mount a big comeback, IMO.

They're built to play with a lead.

Yep, and I'm fine with that this year for this team. Not a criticism at all, just reality.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 06:09 PM
I would bet anything the reason the Jets have a statistically better run defense is their schedule. Someone posted their schedule awhile back and they've played a bunch of terrible teams...I bet most of them were lousy running teams.

#1 running team or not, we are not built to block that front seven.

Schedule probably has helped them.

8 games against bottom-half rush offenses, 4 of which are ranked 23rd or worse.

Best team they've faced is Pittsburgh, ranked 8th.

Who just ran rather well on them Sunday. Highest total against the Jets all year - 147 yards.

FWIW, the Jets have given up 100+ on the ground in 4 of their last 6 games.

Cleveland, ranked 18th.
New England, ranked 15th
Miami, ranked 21st.
Pittsburgh, ranked 8th.

LaChapelle
12-21-2010, 06:22 PM
We need to win 2 more games first.
No shit : edit: Cassel loses his apendex
Smith got thrown out of the Charger's 49er's game
TO is out against Cincy and they' more than likely face Tebow
luck is the Chargers running mate right now

Mr. Laz
12-21-2010, 06:36 PM
How are we going to run on the Ravens? Explain that to me, seriously.
well i don't know that we can ... we struggle against physical teams.

i'm not sure we will be able to run against the jets or Ravens.

Ravens are giving up 4.0 per rush and haven't looked the dominate run defense they have in the past

Jets are giving up 3.5(i think) and have still looked strong without jenkins.

Ravens D just hasn't looked the same

Bewbies
12-21-2010, 06:44 PM
The Ravens secondary stinks, I'm sure we'd be able to pass better against them. We could beat both teams, but we'd have to play perfectly and they'd need to make several mistakes.

Personally I'd prefer to get the Jets. I think our D lines up with their O a lot better than we would against Baltimore. Put Flowers on Holmes and Carr on Gaylen, who knows?

Bewbies
12-21-2010, 06:46 PM
One other thing I haven't seen mentioned--since he played in the same division I wonder if Crennel would have a better idea how to stop Baltimore?

Mr. Laz
12-21-2010, 06:47 PM
The Ravens secondary stinks, I'm sure we'd be able to pass better against them. We could beat both teams, but we'd have to play perfectly and they'd need to make several mistakes.

Personally I'd prefer to get the Jets. I think our D lines up with their O a lot better than we would against Baltimore. Put Flowers on Holmes and Carr on Gaylen, who knows?Jets have a lot more speed at the WR position which is a big problem for us.

Berry is the only guy with much speed in our secondary

Hammock Parties
12-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Ravens D just hasn't looked the same

#4 in PPG.

#5 in run defense.

Scares the shit out of me when you consider their personnel.

Bewbies
12-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Jets have a lot more speed at the WR position which is a big problem for us.

Berry is the only guy with much speed in our secondary

They suck at the run game though, I tend to think we'd play them a lot more like Denver that we would with a team that can really run the ball.

jjchieffan
12-21-2010, 06:52 PM

That's simple. The Chiefs are trying to be just like the Patriots. The Patriots destroyed the Jets. Therefore, we should match up better with the Jets.

CoMoChief
12-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Well we didn't do so bad last year against the Ravens, with CROYLE starting and Gailey being fired just a week prior to week 1. We came back and made it a game til they scored that last TD with 1 min left, then it became a 2 score game IIRC.

and that was at THEIR place.

I think we can compete with just about anyone at Arrowhead, so really I wouldn't care less which team came to Arrowhead. I just know it would be louder than fucking shit there and it would be rocking like the 90's.

Personally I think the Jets are more talented, they just haven't been able to get it all together and fire on all cylinders. JMO. Flacco is a much better QB than Sanchez....that's the wildcard and because of that I'd rather have the Jets.

And I'd rather go up against Hot hands Braylon Edwards, Holmes and Brad Smith more than I would Anquan Boldin, that guy is a fucking beast of a WR.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Well we didn't do so bad last year against the Ravens, with CROYLE starting and Gailey being fired just a week prior to week 1. We came back and made it a game til they scored that last TD with 1 min left, then it became a 2 score game IIRC.

and that was at THEIR place.

We were dominated in that game. We got our asses kicked up and down the field. Fortunately an interception returned to the 2-yard line and a blocked punt for a TD kept it close.

Oh, and we couldn't run for shit.

jettio
12-21-2010, 07:05 PM
I bet Haley would go no huddle both halves against the Ravens. He saw that D suckin' wind in the 4th quarter against the Texans.

Haley thinks his Chiefs are fit and in good shape. You could bet that he would try to exploit that advantage if the Ravens are the opponent.

CoMoChief
12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
We were dominated in that game. We got our asses kicked up and down the field. Fortunately an interception returned to the 2-yard line and a blocked punt for a TD kept it close.

Oh, and we couldn't run for shit.

Charles > LJ

Marcellus
12-21-2010, 07:16 PM
I honestly don't care who we get as long as we are at 1 Arrowhead Drive.

Chiefs defense is giving up less than 13pts a game at home and the offense is rushing for about 200.

WindyCityChief25
12-21-2010, 07:33 PM
I think you gotta go with the Ravens here, I think that the Jets lose 20-17 against Da Bears this weekend. Even with the win over Pittsburgh I think think they have lost some intensity. Also this is my first post so what's up y'all!?