PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs George Blowfish's Trip to St. Louis

gblowfish
12-21-2010, 09:18 PM
George Blowfish's Trip To St. Louis

Since the game itself has already been hashed over pretty well (now that its Tuesday) I thought I'd tell you ten things about my road trip to St. Louis. I have slides! You wanna see some slides??? Needless to say, it was epic:

10. I haven't done a Chiefs Road Trip in a long time. Last one I can remember was to Dallas when Marty was coach, and that was a long time ago. I went on a bunch of Chiefs Trips before I got married, but the timing on this one was just right. On the trip was the mighty KC five: GString, Phoneman Darth, Woodsie Owl, Hoffa's Lawyer and yours truly. We decided to ride Amtrak, Hoffa got on in KC, Darth in Independence, the rest in Lee's Summit. Tickets were $52 round trip, leaving Saturday around 9am, and we came back Monday night, leaving STL around 4pm. Can't beat that with a stick. Hotel was the old Adam's Mark (now called Crowne Plaza) a block from the arch, and about six blocks or so from the Eddie Dome. We had two dee-luxe suites, one on the 21st floor and another on the 26th floor. I had a balcony, and when you went out, you had a great view of the arch, and the old Dred Scott Federal Courthouse, and new Busch Stadium. Only problem was, it was about 30 degrees with a brisk wind, so you didn't want to spend more than about 30 seconds on the balcony. Good place for the smokers to sneak a quick one. Suites were $300 per night x 2, so $600/night split 5 ways. Not too bad. We waited too long to buy our game tickets -we bought them in October- and ended up in row VV way upstairs. And I mean WAY UPSTAIRS. The rows only went to XX, so if there was no roof, I'm sure I could have seen Wisconsin from up there. We were in the very top off the back rear pylon of the end zone. On the Charles 80 yard run, he ran right to me.

9. On the train trip out of KC, GString, Darth and Woodsie drank a fifth of "Fox" Screwdrivers before reaching Jeff City. On the train, they wouldn't sell you Tomato Juice to make bloody marys, but they would sell you OJ. " Fox " is a vodka made in Atchison, KS and is supposed to be mighty good. I don't drink vodka, but my pals swear by it, and were pretty lit by the time they got to STL. I sat next to a guy who got on the train at Sedalia. He was retired USAF, and was now a civilian employee at Whiteman AFB. Nice guy, said he tried to do one Chiefs road trip a year, and this was it. If you haven't made this ride, once you get to Jeff City it's pretty cool. Follows the river and goes to Hermann and Washington, MO -both quaint little river towns- then follows I-44 just to the south of Six Flags, then into Kirkwood. Kirkwood's station is a lot like Lee' s Summit. Goes right in the heart of town, lots of shops and stores and such. Then into the main part of the city, following Manchester and ultimately I-64 downtown. Train made it into STL around 2pm. We got a ride in a filthy St. Louis mini van taxi -looked like the guy lived in his cab full time-, checked in the hotel, then went over to a place called Caleco's for lunch, across the street from the Dred Scott Courthouse, and across a little park from Busch Stadium. The waiter gave us tons of shit, which we gave right back. We decided early on not to take any guff from any Rams fans.

8. For whatever reason, $300 per night at the hotel did not include working wireless internet, which sucked a bunch. I couldn't get on the net at all from the hotel, they said their wireless service failed on Friday night, and the guy who works on it wouldn't be in till Monday. So I basically threw my laptop in the closet the whole weekend and just said screw it. Friday night I met one of my St. Louis buddies -Mr. Cheezwhizz- at the Broadway Oyster Bar a few block south of Busch Stadium. It was packed, because a Grateful Dead cover band called "Jake's Leg" was the house band that night. So the place was crawling with field hippies, wearing hemp clothing and sandals with black socks. I've also noticed that both the 20-something men and women wear a lot of stocking caps in St. Louis. Looked to me like they all wanted to rob a liquor store later. We tried some fried alligator bites (tastes like chicken), and had gumbo, red beans and rice and cold shrimp on a plate. Food was excellent, service was terrible. But hey, it's a hippie hole in the wall dive. I like Schlafly Beer (St. Louis version of Boulevard) and since Bud was bought out by the Belgians, A-B products are passe' with a lot of St. Louis folks. They're pretty pissed off at AB for selling out to foreigners. I saw a lot of folks drinking Boulevard Wheat, and PBR in a tall boy at the bar. I guess PBR is quite the rage among Generation Y. Here's a tip: grow up, it's lawn beer. Life's too short to drink crappy beer.

7. We wanted to watch the Mizzou game on Saturday night, but there was a hockey game in STL that night, so Fox Sports Midwest carries Blues Hockey instead of Mizzou Basketball, which sucked a lot. I could give a crap about hockey. After the Broadway Oyster Bar we played poker till around 1am, then decided to turn in so we could be ready for the big throw down on Sunday. We felt pretty good, no bad vibes at all, and everyone thought Cassel would play.

6. I think being a hotel concierge would be a great job. People ask you all kinds of crazy stuff, and stuff $5 and $10 bills in your pocket all day. We tipped everybody. If you stay downtown, be prepared to tip literally everybody. On Sunday Morning we donned our Red Chiefs stuff, went to the lobby and asked the concierge where we should have breakfast before the game. He recommended a place called "The Rooster" at 11th and Locust St. It was about four blocks from the Eddie Dome, but a bit of a hike from our hotel at 4th and Pine. We decided to walk it anyway, as it wasn't too terrible cold. The old downtown buildings in St. Louis are pretty awesome if you're into architecture. Lots of chiseled stone figures, really old school brick buildings, and some god awful modern pieces of shit that make you wonder who was in charge of the design committee. The Rooster was FULL of Chiefs fans. We had bloody marys, home made waffles with fruit, expresso. Very good stuff. Around 10:30 we were fully fueled and headed out for the Eddie Dome.

5. You would have been proud. Chiefs fans EVERYWHERE. The tailgating was lame lame lame. Little small patches here and there, except for one large lot on the north side of the dome. No BBQ or charcoal smoke in the air. We were asked if we wanted to sell any tickets probably 50 times before we got to the dome, and was accosted by tract waving little old black ladies on three different occasions wanting to save our souls. We went in about 45 minutes to game time and literally breezed right in. No lines like Arrowhead. They search you the same as Arrowhead, but we literally walked right in. Actual lines to go in didn't form until about 15 minutes to game time, and lots of the Rams fans got in their seats about five minutes after kickoff. Pre-game means nothing to Rams fans. They're very blase about it.

4. The dome itself is quite sterile. When you enter, you start taking escalators. and we went up-up-up since we were all the way up. We walked all the way around the upper floor, and it was pretty much the same all the way around. White painted concrete block, windows in the corners to look out on St. Louis, but it reminded of me of a really big Kemper Arena. It's kind of a blah building, really. It was nice to be warm, but it really sucks the life out of a football game. It was more like being at a basketball game in a very big basketball arena. They did have more beer men than you can shake a Bud Light at. And you can have Bud, or Bud Light or Bud Select, so they really have a big beer selection.

3. On the National Anthem, you could really hear "Home of the Chiefs!" It was kind of hard to tell exactly how many Chiefs fans were there, because all the seats inside are red, except for the rich bastard seats on the lower level between the 40 yard lines, which are blue. My guess: Announced attendance was around 55,000, and I'd say 20,000 of those were red-wearing Chiefs fans. Near the end of the game at the two minute warning, the Chiefs fans were doing the chop and singing the Indian Chant. The Rams turned their PA up REAL loud and began playing music for their cheerleaders to dance, to drown out the Chiefs fans. But by that time most of the Rams fans were gone. After Jones' TD, the place cleared out just....like....that. What a beautiful sight.

2. I don't think Rams fans have the passion that Chiefs fans do. The vibe I got was, sure, they wanted the Rams to win, but they don't live for it like we do. They're baseball fans first and foremost. The sports wanks on the late night game wrap shows talked about the game a bit, then talked at length about how KC sent Greinke to Milwaukee, which was bad for the Cards, because it's a division rival. Huh??? It's football season, dudes. One of the St. Louis sportscasters called Bowe "Bow" like "Bow Wow." What a moron.

1. Sunday night after the game I met my sister and her husband for dinner at a fancy steakhouse called Carmine's. It was a very nice meal, and again, place packed with Chiefs fans. I'm sure we all looked like the Blues Brothers at Chez Paul...using the wrong glass and such. Sunday night we hung out in the suite and watched the Pats/Packers, then watched game highlights on the local sports, then watched Robot Chicken Star Wars special, then slept pretty well. Monday was back to The Rooster for Breakfast, tour of the Arch -complete with creepy animatronic pioneer characters- then off to the train station, then the long ride home. Got back to Stately Wayne Minor in Independence around 11pm, then popped up for work this AM at 6:15 as usual. I'm still pretty tired, but happy tired. Chiefs won a critical road game, you all have covered the details of it pretty well.

My only real football comment is: DON"T OVERLOOK TENNESSEE or this big win is wasted. Let's start to concentrate on the Titans. They've had our number the last few times we've played them. So until next Sunday -and a more normalized Ten Things-, Merry Christmas to all and to all, a Good Night!

Marcellus
12-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Great read as always GBF.:thumb:

siberian khatru
12-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Love it love it love it

milkman
12-21-2010, 09:36 PM
He recommended a place called "The Rooster"

I just suggested today that we should nickname Cassel "Rooster".

Cincidence?

I think not.

notorious
12-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Downtown St. Louis

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRJnEbt89w8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRJnEbt89w8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

TrebMaxx
12-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Always a good read GB! :thumb:

Fairplay
12-21-2010, 09:46 PM
That was a good read. Thanks for sharing.

CosmicPal
12-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Nice read...thanks for sharing.

I've always loved paying St. Louis a visit. It can really be a fun town with great food and a great night life.

We sat watching the game here in Tampa and we all commented how awesome it was to see so many Chiefs fans in attendance. Makes me proud to be a Chiefs fan.

St. Louis have a QB that will take them places and they will be a very good team in a couple of years, but it's too bad the fans don't have the passion for their team like we do. My Brother-in-Law is a St. Louis native and he's a die-hard Chiefs fan. I thought it was pretty cool to see some of the couples in the stands and how one may be a Rams fan and the other one would be a Chiefs fan. Too bad KC and St. Louis never shared the same division, otherwise, the two cities might have shared a great and bitter rivalry.

Rams Fan
12-21-2010, 09:54 PM
gblowfish, what did you think of the skylight in the Dome coming from underneath the scoreboard? Did you think the Dome was dark at all?

stevieray
12-21-2010, 10:48 PM
...did you see FDE?

chiefzilla1501
12-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Downtown St. Louis

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRJnEbt89w8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRJnEbt89w8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Well... not exactly. But I get the point.

East St. Louis is a totally different animal.

OnTheWarpath15
12-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Whoever suggested Carmine's?

Good call.

Sounds like you had a good time, George. Glad to hear it.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2010, 11:17 PM
2. I don't think Rams fans have the passion that Chiefs fans do. The vibe I got was, sure, they wanted the Rams to win, but they don't live for it like we do. They're baseball fans first and foremost.

I would agree with this. I lived in St Louie during the mid to late 90's. They are not nearly as passionate about the Rams as they are about the Cards and Blues. That dome is sterile. One of the most boring sports facilities ive ever been in.

DanT
12-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Great read. Really makes me miss the Midwest. That's really where I belong.

CosmicPal
12-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Great read. Really makes me miss the Midwest. That's really where I belong.

Same here.

chiefzilla1501
12-21-2010, 11:24 PM
I would agree with this. I lived in St Louie during the mid to late 90's. They are not nearly as passionate about the Rams as they are about the Cards and Blues. That dome is sterile. One of the most boring sports facilities ive ever been in.

100% agree.

I brought this up in a Miami Heat thread about why I resent Miami fans.

I fucking hated Rams fans. Really appreciated Cards fans. Fucking hate Rams fans. They're spoiled rotten. When the team is .500, the bars are completely empty and nobody even talks about their team. I went to a game 10 years ago with major playoff implications (I believe similar implications as the Chiefs face this weekend). 100 level seats. The fans never once stood up until the 4th quarter. There was golf clapping until about the 4th quarter.

Fans like that don't deserve a winning franchise. It always has bothered me when second-rate fans fall into a winner, and then those fans party with the bandwagon.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2010, 11:29 PM
100% agree.

I ****ing hated Rams fans. Really appreciated Cards fans. ****ing hate Rams fans. They're spoiled rotten. When the team is .500, the bars are completely empty and nobody even talks about their team. I went to a game 10 years ago with major playoff implications (I believe similar implications as the Chiefs face this weekend). 100 level seats. The fans never once stood up until the 4th quarter. There was golf clapping until about the 4th quarter.

Fans like that don't deserve a winning franchise. It always has bothered me when second-rate fans fall into a winner, and then those fans party with the bandwagon.

Yea, you have to remember that there really is only 15 years of history of the St Louis Rams. St Louis fans dont care about the LA Rams history.

CosmicPal
12-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Yea, you have to remember that there really is only 15 years of history of the St Louis Rams. St Louis fans dont care about the LA Rams history.

True dat. They should have changed the name from the "Rams" and made it their own. Nobody wants me a "hand-me-down." Unless, your "hand-me-down" starts winning a LOT of championships.

CoMoChief
12-21-2010, 11:41 PM
STL fans are one giant joke of a football fanbase.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-21-2010, 11:44 PM
I lost interest after the first paragraph

GloryDayz
12-22-2010, 02:17 AM
Awesome job GBF! I know this, if I could of had Monday off, the whole train deal would have been a VERY cool thing to treat my son to. Not to mention that 8 hours of driving with a 4-hour football game mixed into the middle, makes for a very long day, and not eonough drinking!

crazycoffey
12-22-2010, 03:45 AM
my thoughts on your 10 thoughts;

10. would have really enjoyed meeting you and the other chiefs fans you rode in with.

9. Don't know much about fox, but I'll try it, we like vodka...
I went to college for a short time in Sedalia, nice little town, state fair stuff, yadda yadda...
Also, brother of my dad's long time girlfriend works at a winery in Herrman.
I used to live in Kirkwood, another cool town in St. Louie, bad press in recent years with the kidnapper and the court shooting, ironic side note - police chief didn't hire me because my former experience in the army and in Dallas made him believe I would be more of a "shoot first ask questions later" kind of cop and that's not the kind of cop he wants in Kirkwood." He would rather hire fresh recruits from the academy and train them to be "PR cops". funny ironic dark humor story, I know but whatever...
Glad to hear you gave the rams fans shit, so did I all week long...

8. I literally live close enough to the Broadway oyster bar that I could have walked to meet you all there. And I would have if you would have messaged me back last week when I PM'd you about your trip here. I feel like I owe you a few beers for parting with your tickets for me and warpath in arrowhead two years ago. I now will consider the debt paid, because I offered and you didn't partake in that offer. so there....
Jake's leg, stocking caps, fried alligator bites and Schlafly's are all awesome.
AB is over rated
PBR, isn't as bad as I thought, but I agree - life is too short to drink crappy beer.

7. Mizzou is never played on local networks here unless it's the MU vs Illinois game, I have no idea why.

6. down town is very cool

5. Tail gating here abso-fucking-lutely sucks here, non existant, fans are lame for football, I think it's because the cards went to phoenix and there was no football team here for a few years, lots of football fans became chiefs fans and stayed chiefs fans even after the rams moved here. There's not much rivalry between the rams and chiefs, no one really hates the chiefs like they hate the bears

4. I don't really like domes, too snot nosed attitude therein.

3.I wish I was there to hear the anthem, on TV it definitely looked like chiefs fans represented, I could hear the crowd noise attributing to the false starts a couple times, that's just sick. getting FS penalties in your own stadium? LOL, love it!!!!!!!!!1 Heard the chop too near the end of the game. Again, really really wish I was there, had to work at 6pm that night, so I decided to stay home to watch.

2.agree, no passion for football here even relatively close to that of KC

1. Now I want to try Carmine's too. glad you had fun, brother. no kidding now.

Rooster
12-22-2010, 08:59 AM
I just suggested today that we should nickname Cassel "Rooster".

Cincidence?

I think not.

but but but I'm Rooster. :(

CosmicPal
12-22-2010, 09:02 AM
I used to live in Kirkwood, another cool town in St. Louie,

My ex-fiance' was from Kirkwood. Used to go visit her there a few times/month before we called it quits.

Chief Henry
12-22-2010, 09:23 AM
GBF....nice as usual. I've been downtown STL. on several occassions and what you were discribing - I was walking right with you on your trip.

BTW, you go out of town with a bunch of guys and you don't hit a titty bar ? You must be getting old :D

Coogs
12-22-2010, 10:04 AM
My only real football comment is: DON"T OVERLOOK TENNESSEE or this big win is wasted. Let's start to concentrate on the Titans. They've had our number the last few times we've played them.

This is a very important item! While all of the playoff talk has been very refreshing... compared to the last few years of jockeying for draft position... we need to stay focused on the task at hand. Big game this weekend, and we need to stay with the one game at a time mindset that we have had all year. If it is meant to be in a couple of weeks, then we can all celebrate the playoffs. But not a moment before.

Titan's this Sunday! Nothing else!

gblowfish
12-22-2010, 10:11 AM
gblowfish, what did you think of the skylight in the Dome coming from underneath the scoreboard? Did you think the Dome was dark at all?

You know, I was so high up I didn't even notice that. The ceiling had these baffles that hung down to keep the PA from echoing. I know that would be a terrible building for a concert. Their video board was tiny compared to Arrowhead, and the sound system was pretty bad. But again, I was so high up, it might have sounded better at field level. The lighting did seem a bit weak too.

gblowfish
12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
...did you see FDE?

No, and dog gone it, next time I cross paths with you at Arrowhead, I'll stop by and say hi. I'm glad you were there. I was really proud of all the Chiefs fans who represented.

gblowfish
12-22-2010, 10:15 AM
100% agree.

I ****ing hated Rams fans. Really appreciated Cards fans. ****ing hate Rams fans. They're spoiled rotten. When the team is .500, the bars are completely empty and nobody even talks about their team. I went to a game 10 years ago with major playoff implications (I believe similar implications as the Chiefs face this weekend). 100 level seats. The fans never once stood up until the 4th quarter. There was golf clapping until about the 4th quarter.

From what I could see on their "Ring Of Honor" around the stadium, most of the names weren't St. Louis Rams. There were Cleveland Rams, and LA Rams, and St. Louis Cardinals, but not many St. Louis Rams. That would be pretty weird. The Rams have always been a carpetbagger team. It wouldn't surprise me if someday they left St. Louis and went back to LA.

gblowfish
12-22-2010, 10:17 AM
but but but I'm Rooster. :(

Rooster: Next time you go to St. Louis, you'll have to eat at The Rooster!
http://roosterstl.com/

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 10:18 AM
From what I could see on their "Ring Of Honor" around the stadium, most of the names weren't St. Louis Rams. There were Cleveland Rams, and LA Rams, and St. Louis Cardinals, but not many St. Louis Rams. That would be pretty weird. The Rams have always been a carpetbagger team. It wouldn't surprise me if someday they left St. Louis and went back to LA.

They have about 2 or 3 names that have been involved with the Rams since they've moved to St. Louis. And I hope Kroenke doesn't move them. Fans are starting to come back. No blackouts this year!

gblowfish
12-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Awesome job GBF! I know this, if I could of had Monday off, the whole train deal would have been a VERY cool thing to treat my son to. Not to mention that 8 hours of driving with a 4-hour football game mixed into the middle, makes for a very long day, and not eonough drinking!

You know, the train trip in seemed to go a lot faster than the trip back. But on the way back, it was an evening ride after a long weekend, so it was more like a bad bus trip. I think if you wanted to take kids on the train, about an hour ride is good. They might get kind of fussy after that. For example, you could ride from Downtown KC to Warrensburg, and that would be about an hour. If you sent your wife in the family car ahead to Warrensburg to meet you at the station, pick up the family and drive back to KC, that would be a good train experience and a fun day. The problem with taking the train there and back is the layover. There's a morning train, and an evening train. Once you go somewhere, you are stuck there all day before you can return home.

gblowfish
12-22-2010, 10:24 AM
GBF....nice as usual. I've been downtown STL. on several occassions and what you were discribing - I was walking right with you on your trip.

BTW, you go out of town with a bunch of guys and you don't hit a titty bar ? You must be getting old :D

Since Missouri changed the "adult entertainment" laws, there really aren't any of these types of establishments on the Missouri side. All these kinds of clubs are across the river in East St. Louis, and who in their right mind wants to be in East St. Louis in the wee hours?

Besides, I'm very happy at home. Mrs Blowfish takes good care of me :thumb:

RockChalk
12-22-2010, 11:30 AM
tour of the Arch -complete with creepy animatronic pioneer characters-

Glad I'm not the only one creeped out by those robots.

gblowfish
12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Glad I'm not the only one creeped out by those robots.

When I was there, Sgt. Banks was hunched over and "Closed for Repair." It was like something from the Firesign Theater's "We're All Bozos on This Bus."

http://www.cneil.com/2008/07/animatronic-friends-at-st-louis-gateway.html

Earthling
12-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Good read! Thanks for sharing..:thumb:

gblowfish
12-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Here's what the "Fox" Vodka looks like. You can get this in KC, but not sure how far they distribute. I know it's distilled in Atchison, KS. It runs about $20 a bottle:

http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=186411

crazycoffey
12-22-2010, 03:57 PM
my thoughts on your 10 thoughts;

at least recognize this one mr blowfish;

8. I literally live close enough to the Broadway oyster bar that I could have walked to meet you all there. And I would have if you would have messaged me back last week when I PM'd you about your trip here. I feel like I owe you a few beers for parting with your tickets for me and warpath in arrowhead two years ago. I now will consider the debt paid, because I offered and you didn't partake in that offer. so there....

Jake's leg, stocking caps, fried alligator bites and Schlafly's are all awesome.

AB is over rated

PBR, isn't as bad as I thought, but I agree - life is too short to drink crappy beer.

crazycoffey
12-22-2010, 03:58 PM
My ex-fiance' was from Kirkwood. Used to go visit her there a few times/month before we called it quits.

F kirkwood, FTW

Chief Chief
12-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Here's a tip, gblowfish: Don't give crap to waiters when visiting the opps' city. They'll ensure that your food will get a 'special dressing' or 'secret sauce' (wink, wink, nod, nod, say-no-more).

gblowfish
12-22-2010, 04:24 PM
at least recognize this one mr blowfish;

Sorry we missed you. When roving in a "pack" I was not sure where our travels would take us. I ended up at BOB because my pal Mr. Cheezwhizz wanted to meet me there. I thought we were going to a music club called Off Broadway by the old Lemp Brewery. Since I didn't have any internet access, couldn't PM anybody.

One guy had a stocking cap on that looked like a sock monkey!

AB is over rated
I like a cold Bud after cutting the grass. I think it's lawn mower beer, like PBR is.

One of my best buds here in KC drinks PBR at Knucklehead's when he goes to a music show. He gets a 16 OZ can for like two bucks.

gblowfish
12-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Here's a tip, gblowfish: Don't give crap to waiters when visiting the opps' city. They'll ensure that your food will get a 'special dressing' or 'secret sauce' (wink, wink, nod, nod, say-no-more).

Oh yes, I agree. I didn't give the guy any crap till AFTER our food arrived.
Mama didn't raise no dummy....

Halfcan
12-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Great read as usual. I really look forward to your reports-you really have a way with words. Nice job!!

Ralphy Boy
12-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Think about how bad it sucks to be a Ram's fan and a St Louis football fan in general. They lost their Cardinals football team, went without and when the Rams came to town they sucked ass before winning a Superbowl. Which was great but they have had a ton of issues since losing in the SB to the Pats. Basically they were given a glimmer of greatness only to see it all fall apart.

They could have easily been a dynasty just like NE was, given all of the talent they had. There wasn't a more talented team than their 1999 one anywhere in the league (Warner, Faulk, Holt, Bruce). Martz's ego got in the way and its been a shithole of a team ever since. Ownership changes, possibly moving out of state issues, HC carousel. Steven Jackson has wasted his time there. Torry Holt should be a HOF WR.

Their "arrow" is pointing up now but the fact is because of baseball, the town expects a winner and to be in contention every year and when the football team cannot come near equalling the success, its hard to stay excited about them.

I was there in 99, during the regular season, and I've never been at a more excited stadium, even at Arrowhead. That place was electric that year and they scored at will. It was completely insane. Our fans are way better than theirs, but there is an added element that fuels any fan base when you have the best offense in the league.

GloryDayz
12-22-2010, 06:52 PM
You know, the train trip in seemed to go a lot faster than the trip back. But on the way back, it was an evening ride after a long weekend, so it was more like a bad bus trip. I think if you wanted to take kids on the train, about an hour ride is good. They might get kind of fussy after that. For example, you could ride from Downtown KC to Warrensburg, and that would be about an hour. If you sent your wife in the family car ahead to Warrensburg to meet you at the station, pick up the family and drive back to KC, that would be a good train experience and a fun day. The problem with taking the train there and back is the layover. There's a morning train, and an evening train. Once you go somewhere, you are stuck there all day before you can return home.

Good point, but my wife and her friends actually did a "girl" trip to Chicago on the train. They had a blast! That should have told me right there that I don't want to do it!

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Think about how bad it sucks to be a Ram's fan and a St Louis football fan in general. They lost their Cardinals football team, went without and when the Rams came to town they sucked ass before winning a Superbowl. Which was great but they have had a ton of issues since losing in the SB to the Pats. Basically they were given a glimmer of greatness only to see it all fall apart.

They could have easily been a dynasty just like NE was, given all of the talent they had. There wasn't a more talented team than their 1999 one anywhere in the league (Warner, Faulk, Holt, Bruce). Martz's ego got in the way and its been a shithole of a team ever since. Ownership changes, possibly moving out of state issues, HC carousel. Steven Jackson has wasted his time there. Torry Holt should be a HOF WR.

Their "arrow" is pointing up now but the fact is because of baseball, the town expects a winner and to be in contention every year and when the football team cannot come near equalling the success, its hard to stay excited about them.

I was there in 99, during the regular season, and I've never been at a more excited stadium, even at Arrowhead. That place was electric that year and they scored at will. It was completely insane. Our fans are way better than theirs, but there is an added element that fuels any fan base when you have the best offense in the league.

There's plenty of people to blame for the Rams demise. Martz is one of them, but he isn't the main culprit. John Shaw and Jay Zygmunt were the ones that put the Rams into the mess they were in from 2007-2009. Linehan was also a part of that. Years of bad drafting screwed the franchise up. Now, the Rams finally have a GM in place who I think knows what he's doing and a HC that won't blame it all on the players(like Linehan). And the team really didn't go through ownership changes. Georgia Frontierre died and the 60% part of the Rams that she owned went to her children. Kroenke has the team now, but he owned 40% of the Rams before the Rosenblooms sold their stakes in the Rams to him.

stlchiefs
12-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Good read. Sounds like you ate at all good places. You had some good recommendations. I was in UU around the 40 so not a lot better then where you ended up. Great game though!

gblowfish
12-22-2010, 08:55 PM

Hey' I'll take a "glimmer of greatness" any day. We've been waiting 41 years for it to return.

Raiderhater58
12-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Rooster: Next time you go to St. Louis, you'll have to eat at The Rooster!
http://roosterstl.com/

We tried but it was packed, as you said. Ended up eating an $8 footlong inside the dome

boogblaster
12-23-2010, 09:55 AM
glad you had a good time and a needed win ... but like you said lets not overlook the Tinytons .......

GloryDayz
12-24-2010, 05:45 PM
One more thing to note about the intellect of those running the show in st. Louis. Look where they put the 10-yard-line marker!!!
Yeah, I just downloaded the pics from the camera!! If I can convert the video of the ladies taunting the one goofball (it's a friggin huge AVI right now), I will. Good times!

GloryDayz
12-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Let's see if the converted video works... Sorry if it sucks. But this was awesome, there Chiefs lady fans were all over the Jared looking doode. and the other Rams fans immediately around them were family, so Jared didn't have a chance... :-)