PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Thoughts on Week 17 Flex Scheduling

OnTheWarpath15
12-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I was sitting in Christmas shopping traffic earlier, and began thinking about the possibility of the Chiefs-Raiders game getting moved to the Sunday Night Game.

The way I look at it, they're going to want the most competitive game, and a game that has playoff implications.

Chiefs - Raiders certainly meets that criteria.

But there are 4 other games that have as much at stake, or more than KC-OAK, obviously barring any odd occurrences this Sunday.

Tampa - New Orleans
Indy - Tennessee
St. Louis - Seattle
Green Bay - Chicago

Depending on what happens this week, Tampa and New Orleans looks like the one game in which both teams have something to play for.

Indy - Tennessee is the AFC South version of KC - Oakland. Division game where if the favorite wins, they're in. And we know the networks love them some Peyton.

St. Louis - Seattle is going to have the most drama - win and you're in. But there's no way in hell NBC wants that game, IMO.

Chicago has clinched a spot, but Green Bay will have to win that game to get in, as it stands now. Another big matchup.

Not to mention that Fox and CBS get to protect a game each.

And I'm a bit concerned that the ticket situation might make NBC wary of taking our game, should it be available.

So with all that said, who's going to get the Sunday Night game in Week 17?

ElGringo
12-23-2010, 03:37 PM
I may be wrong here (I usually am), but I believe at one point I read that the flex scheduling has to be done 2 weeks prior to the game, and the schedule is now set for the remainder of the season.

Mr. Arrowhead
The game that fox and cbs protects, does it get moved to 3 o'clock start?

Rain Man
The Indy-Ten game has Peyton Manning and Chris Johnson in it. We won't be playing on Sunday night.

Mr. Arrowhead
12-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I may be wrong here (I usually am), but I believe at one point I read that the flex scheduling has to be done 2 weeks prior to the game, and the schedule is now set for the remainder of the season.

except week 17, they do it 6 days before

I would like to think that fans are going to show up for a game against the Raiders

Pushead2
still talking about this??

OnTheWarpath15
12-23-2010, 03:39 PM

Usually, it's 10 days out, IIRC.

They want the best matchup possible for Week 17, so the switch can be made as few as 6 days out, per NFL.com

There currently isn't a night game on the schedule.

Titty Meat
Green Bay @ Chicago

WebGem
It would be really fucking cool for this to happen, but I just don't see any way it does.

ElGringo
except week 17, they do it 6 days before

Cool, okay...still say no way we get flexed to the late game, but would enjoy it.

Reerun_KC
Cool if it does. I have monday off, going to be in Kansas with Family... We have a big party planned for this game... A whole house of True fans! Should be a great game.

CaliforniaChief
The Tampa loss to Detroit helped us out, IMO.

I'm not counting on it.

OnTheWarpath15
still talking about this??

Was it talked about before?

If so, my apologies. Never saw it. If this is a repost, feel free to kill the thread, mods.

WebGem
12-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Green Bay @ Chicago

If GB loses to NYG this week, which I think they will, they are eliminated (I think). If that happens, that game's not it. Maybe if NYG wins and the Colts somehow clinch this week then we'd have a more realistic shot.

Hammock Parties
12-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Be shocked if it wasn't GB/CHI

Titty Meat
12-23-2010, 03:41 PM
If GB loses to NYG this week, which I think they will, they are eliminated (I think). If that happens, that game's not it. Maybe if NYG wins and the Colts somehow clinch this week then we'd have a more realistic shot.

Thats a huge assumption the Giants blew a 24 point lead, Green Bay played the best team in the league close and will be getting Rodgers back.

CaliforniaChief
12-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Be shocked if it wasn't GB/CHI

It would help if the Giants beat the Packers this weekend.

My preference? Chiefs win, Chargers lose, no drama in week 17.

OnTheWarpath15
12-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Green Bay @ Chicago

My first thought, though I think that would be the game Fox protects.

And if GB loses to the Giants, it's no longer an attractive game.

WebGem
12-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Thats a huge assumption the Giants blew a 24 point lead, Green Bay played the best team in the league close and will be getting Rodgers back.

I didn't say I assume it. I just said if they do, and I think they will. GB is only a 3 point favorite, it's not like a long shot or anything for NYG to win. I hope they do though because it helps our chances at this flex game. Is there any way Indy can clinch this week? They beat OAK and Jax loses?

Edit: Nevermind, Jax hosts Redskins.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-23-2010, 03:43 PM
It'll be GB/CHI.

The networks love those horribly fucking boring Packers-Bears games.

Titty Meat
12-23-2010, 03:45 PM
I forgot the networks can protect games. I see no reason why they would want to protect KC/Oak as far as markets go they aren't getting much out of it. I'd say if we win this week we have a good shot at it though Tampa and NO would both have winning records and the Superdome is a crazy atmosphere....

WebGem
12-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Oh well, we just have to clinch the division at around 3pm CST instead of later at night. No biggie.

Reerun_KC
12-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Bring on the Chiefs/Raiders....

A sunday night game would be epic...

WebGem
12-23-2010, 03:47 PM
How awesome would it be if they flexed it and SD lost earlier in the day to the Donks? Then Haley has Cassel rest part of the game. Brodie in prime time baby!

Rausch
12-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Brodie in prime time baby!

The line starts to the left...

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Wouldn't that mean it won't be on Direct TV and only on NBC. If so I would miss my first game in 15 years as I don't get the local channels..

Wait , I think I could go to Hooters in Amarillo to watch. I'm in.

ChiefsCountry
12-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Wait till the playoffs to see which game we get. Right now it my guess would be:

Saturday
3:30pm - Saints at Rams
7:00pm - Ravens at Colts

Sunday
Noon - Jets at Chiefs
3:15pm - Giants at Eagles

kysirsoze
12-23-2010, 04:00 PM
I have to work afternoon-evening. I selfishly am wishing for an early game. As was said, hopefully SD blows it this week and we win so we can rest easy.

OnTheWarpath15
12-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Wait till the playoffs to see which game we get. Right now it my guess would be:

Saturday
3:30pm - Saints at Rams
7:00pm - Ravens at Colts

Sunday
Noon - Jets at Chiefs
3:15pm - Giants at Eagles

I was thinking about that today as well.

I'm rooting for the Saturday night game, and if we're playing the Jets, we have the best shot at it, IMO.

ChiefsCountry
12-23-2010, 04:06 PM

I'm rooting for the Saturday night game, and if we're playing the Jets, we have the best shot at it, IMO.

Maybe but we need the Jaguars to win the South, but even then the Eagles/Giants might slide into the primetime spot. I'm still thinking the noon game on Sunday. Personally I would rather it be the Saturday game though.

kysirsoze
12-23-2010, 04:08 PM

Again with the selfishness, if it's on Sunday I can go but I can't on Saturday due to a wedding. Sunday please.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-23-2010, 04:09 PM

The Jets aren't a great matchup for us, as Revis pretty much eliminates Bowe. Hell, you could put Revis on Bowe and Cromartie on Moeaki, and we would, in effect, have no passing game whatsoever.

OnTheWarpath15
12-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Maybe but we need the Jaguars to win the South, but even then the Eagles/Giants might slide into the primetime spot. I'm still thinking the noon game on Sunday. Personally I would rather it be the Saturday game though.

Regardless, I don't think they'll want to air both NY games on the same day. Rather get that exposure over both days.

The 3:15 Sunday game and the Saturday night game are the two best slots, that's why I think we may get the night game, playing the Jets and all.

I just want to be in the playoffs. I don't give a crap what day or time the game is.

ChiefsCountry
The Jets aren't a great matchup for us, as Revis pretty much eliminates Bowe. Hell, you could put Revis on Bowe and Cromartie on Moeaki, and we would, in effect, have no passing game whatsoever.

How dare you say that when we have Dexter Midget as a WR.

OnTheWarpath15
12-23-2010, 04:11 PM

I meant we'd have the best shot at the primetime game on Saturday, due to the NY TV market.

Titty Meat

The same Cromartie that allowed the Chargers to lose in the playoffs? I'd prefer playing the Jets as long as Sanchez is the QB.

doomy3

I kind of agree with this. And they just gave up their first 100 rusher in ages last week.

Luckily their offense isn't very good either, and it could come down to mistakes. And that's where I like our chances.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I kind of agree with this. And they just gave up their first 100 rusher in ages last week.

Luckily their offense isn't very good either, and it could come down to mistakes. And that's where I like our chances.

I'd rather play the Ravens. At least we'd know that if Flacco needed a two minute drive he'd step on his own dick.

doomy3
12-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I'd rather play the Ravens. At least we'd know that if Flacco needed a two minute drive he'd step on his own dick.

I'm much more scared of Ray Rice than anything the Jets have though.

Plus, with the way Flacco throws a deep ball, and how we tend to struggle against that, I don't really like that matchup either.

I'd rather play the Jets, even though I don't think we match up particularly well on offense against them. We match up better on defense against them, IMO.

Titty Meat
12-23-2010, 04:17 PM
If our tackles step it up we can beat the Jets.

OnTheWarpath15
12-23-2010, 04:17 PM

I don't think we can run on the Ravens, nor do I think that the OL would give Cassel enough time to take advantage of their secondary.

Neither are a great matchup, but I do think we'd have a better chance of being successful in the running game against NYJ.

If we can't run, we have no chance of winning, IMO.

Titty Meat
12-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Wait if we win out and Pittsburgh loses 1 of the next 2 we'd be the #2 seed. Is this correct?

Pushead2
12-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Was it talked about before?

If so, my apologies. Never saw it. If this is a repost, feel free to kill the thread, mods.

there was a thread somewhere....but I'm not that upset about it as the Repost Police :)

Continue on...

Old Dog
12-23-2010, 04:20 PM
no Pittsburgh would have to lose both

Titty Meat
12-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Yea that makes more sense. I don't know why Marcellus Wiley said that on Espn earlier.

Pushead2
12-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Wait if we win out and Pittsburgh loses 1 of the next 2 we'd be the #2 seed. Is this correct?

we'd both be 11-5. We have a tie breaker on them?

Titty Meat
12-23-2010, 04:24 PM
we'd both be 11-5. We have a tie breaker on them?

No Wiley is a dumbass who got my hopes up.

WebGem
12-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Pittsburgh AND Baltimore would have to lose both their games. Don't forget Baltimore still only has 4 losses too. Yeah, get that thought out of your head.

12-23-2010, 04:37 PM
The only team that Pitt or Bal losing helps is SD.