PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Berry ices it with his interception return for TD

Tribal Warfare
12-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Berry ices it with his interception return for TD (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/26/2543609/berry-ices-it-with-his-interception.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

Chiefs rookie safety Eric Berry knew what it was like to serve as a team captain. But scoring his first NFL touchdown was a whole new experience.

And he loved it.

Berry, the Chiefs’ first-round draft pick, put Kansas City’s 34-14 victory over Tennessee out of reach just before halftime Sunday when he intercepted Kerry Collins’ pass with less than a minute to go in the first half.

Berry broke two tackles and weaved his way past another three Titans on his way to a 54-yard touchdown return that gave the Chiefs a 31-7 lead at halftime.

“The pressure from the defensive line kind of forced the throw, and right after they got the pressure, they just turned around and started blocking,” Berry said. “They turned into the greatest blockers I’ve ever seen. I just followed them. … I dove into the end zone, and I couldn’t really do anything because my teammates were so happy, I just celebrated with them.

“They were kind of messing with me. I got tackled by the holder at Denver (while returning a missed field goal), so I had to get in there.”

Berry’s fourth interception of the season was part of a defensive effort that held the Titans to 270 yards and limited Chris Johnson, the NFL’s fourth-leading rusher, to 58 yards.

Berry had four tackles, including dropping Johnson for a 1-yard loss, and he also broke up one pass.

“The big plan was to stop the run and make sure that Chris Johnson didn’t get outside and wasn’t able to use his feet,” Berry said. “We tried to shut him down early and force them to pass. I think it worked out pretty good.”

Before the game, the coaching staff also designated Berry as one of six team captains for the game. The players elect five captains, and the coaches appoint a sixth captain for each game.

“Generally, it’s been giving guys an opportunity to get in front of their teammates and help lead the team,” Chiefs coach Todd Haley said. “We haven’t had a young guy, and we’ve already told them they’re not rookies anymore. They’ve got enough experience under their belts that we’ve taken that label off them.”

Berry, like six of the Chiefs’ seven draft picks, served as a captain in college, and it was fitting that the coaches chose Sunday’s game to tap Berry, who played at the University of Tennessee.

He knew the folks back in Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis would be watching him play against the Titans.

“Everybody texted me and told me they would be watching,” Berry said. “A lot of Vols fans are Titans fans, so they were still pulling for their Titans, but they wanted me to do good.

“It was definitely an honor to be a captain. But that’s nothing new. I’m just excited about the win. I’m excited how our team came together. When it was time to get down and go to work, we did it.”

Hammock Parties
12-27-2010, 01:06 AM
http://70.87.126.222/%7Eampro/html/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Berry-Ice-10oz.jpg

Buck
12-27-2010, 01:11 AM
Must have been nice to ice it with 30 sec left in the 1st half.

DTLB58
12-27-2010, 01:34 AM
I have enjoyed watching Berry progress during the season....Having said that, I think any of us here could have wrote that article. Jeez, They sure don't ask much from their columnist do they?

HotRoute
12-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Gotta love this kid, I hope like he'll he can make a play or two like that in about two weeks

HoneyBadger
12-27-2010, 01:42 AM
I JIMP when I saw him get his pick-6

chiefs1111
12-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Berry is going to be a bad ass. I look forward to watching him grow into an all pro

teedubya
12-27-2010, 02:17 AM
Chiefs coach Todd Haley said. “We haven’t had a young guy, and we’ve already told them they’re not rookies anymore. They’ve got enough experience under their belts that we’ve taken that label off them.”

PhillyChiefFan
12-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Chiefs coach Todd Haley said. “We haven’t had a young guy, and we’ve already told them they’re not rookies anymore. They’ve got enough experience under their belts that we’ve taken that label off them.”

I love that quote.

He makes no excuses for them or anyone else for that matter.

Bane
12-27-2010, 06:37 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/10zmn38.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2010, 04:41 AM
When it was time to get down and go to work, we did it.”

GET DOWN!

If you don't love this pick, please go fuck yourself.

Pioli Zombie
12-28-2010, 06:37 AM
But But But he didn't look good in the preseason. He's a bust!!

PhillyChiefFan
12-28-2010, 06:48 AM

Yea and he blew coverage in the the first half of the season!!!1!one1

His 4 interceptions were gimmes too!

Al Bundy
12-28-2010, 07:26 AM

Is that you Soren Petro?

rockymtnchief
12-28-2010, 07:28 AM
I shit you not, true story here. I walked into the bar Sunday wearing my Berry jersey and was instantly hit with smack from Titan fans. I told them "You won't be running your mouths when he has his first career pick 6 today." I almost choked on my beer when it hppened.

milkman
12-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Romeo Crennel has done a great job of scheming this season to give this defense a chance to compete, but it's Berry's physical play and speed and range that allow him to create those schemes.

Berry is a difference maker.

Great, great pick.

Best pick by this team since DT.