PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Flags fly when Chiefs get caught up in heat of the moment

Tribal Warfare
12-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Flags fly when Chiefs get caught up in heat of the moment (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/26/2543604/flags-fly-when-chiefs-get-caught.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs did everything but take anger management classes last week as they prepared to play the Tennessee Titans. They watched one video clip after another of the Titans hitting opponents at or after the whistle. They were lectured by coaches about not retaliating.

Whatever the Chiefs did wasn’t enough. They were penalized five times for either personal fouls or unsportsmanlike conduct in their 34-14 win over Tennessee on Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium.

Coach Todd Haley wasn’t willing to overlook the plays, even though they weren’t significant in the runaway victory.

“We did some things we’ve got to clean up and we’ve got to understand they can hurt us in different situations than (Sunday),” Haley said. “We’ll handle that.”

The Titans were penalized twice for the same infractions. That’s nothing new for Tennessee, one of the NFL’s most penalized teams. It’s why the Chiefs were warned last week.

But the activity was unusual for the Chiefs, one of the league’s least penalized teams.

“We knew what type of team they were, that they were going to take some shots at us,” said wide receiver Chris Chambers, who wasn’t one of the Chiefs penalized. “We were just going to try our best not to take any shots back. We had a lot of penalties that we just can’t have, and we’ve got to eliminate that going forward.

“It’s a little bit hard, but we can’t let them under our skin. We were playing for a little bit more than they were playing for. I’m sure the coach will make a point of it just like he made a point of it this week. We watched some film of them doing that type of stuff.”

The Chiefs were ahead 17-0 in the first quarter when they started committing the serious penalties. The penalties didn’t cost the Chiefs initially.

Safety Jon McGraw was flagged for unnecessary roughness, but the Chiefs stopped the Titans on that drive. On Kansas City’s next possession, an unidentified player was penalized for unnecessary roughness.

The Chiefs scored a touchdown on that drive anyway, though they were penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct when Jamaal Charles, Dwayne Bowe and Matt Cassel all jumped into the stands in celebration.

On a second-half Tennessee touchdown drive, Shaun Smith and Jovan Belcher had penalties on back-to-back plays, giving the Titans 30 yards. Belcher’s penalty wiped out an interception by Kendrick Lewis.

“We knew by watching tape that guys took late hits on different opponents,” linebacker Derrick Johnson said. “You’ve just got to hold your cool, just be disciplined, be a disciplined team.

“It was definitely a brawl out there. It was hard to stay disciplined at times.”

Chiefshrink
12-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Young players must recognize the "baiting" going on and maintain mental and emotional discipline.

dj56dt58
12-27-2010, 03:48 AM
that hand to the face or whatever call on Smith on the int was bullshit

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-27-2010, 04:10 AM
Cortland Finnegan is a piece of shit!

MichaelH
12-27-2010, 04:58 AM
One of the unsportsmanlike calls was too many players in the stands after celebrating a TD. ROFL OOOOO, put them on double secret probation next.

C-Mac
12-27-2010, 05:46 AM

At the game they called it roughing the passer and it definitely wasn't that. Guess it could have been hands to the face but from the replays on scoreboard screens, I couldn't even see that.
Collins looked just as surprised as we were on the call.

PhillyChiefFan
12-27-2010, 06:00 AM
I LOVED when they jumped into the stands.

Players should celebrate with the fans and acknowledge the diehard fans that have been waiting for this for years.

chiefzilla1501
12-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Young players must recognize the "baiting" going on and maintain mental and emotional discipline.

I understand that point, but in their defense, Tennessee has a really, really bad reputation for being the dirtiest team in football. Most teams draw a lot of personal fouls against this team. I think Jeff Fisher's a scumbag for condoning this kind of borderline illegal cheap shot tactics.

Red Beans
12-27-2010, 07:09 AM

A turd extraordinaire to be sure.

Window Licking Whiner
12-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Yeah that Smith flag was absolute bs. Refs should be held accountable when they screw up like that, they gifted Tennesse a TD. Thankfully it didnt cost us the game.

Deberg_1990
12-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Its time for Jeff Fisher to move on. Hes a decent coach, but hes been there since 1994 (Incredible) and really hasnt done anything in 10 years (Super Bowl).

Renegade
12-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Its time for Jeff Fisher to move on. Hes a decent coach, but hes been there since 1994 (Incredible) and really hasnt done anything in 10 years (Super Bowl).

Can you imagine what him and King Carl could accomplish together?ROFL

johnny961
12-27-2010, 09:00 AM

Yeah. Pure BS. If they were going to flag this at all I would have thought maybe a 5 yd inadvertent hands in the face. But from what I saw even that was pushing it. Commentators couldn't beleive the call, either.

Extra Point
12-27-2010, 09:05 AM

Definitely. What does it say about the Titans, when he's elected their Man of the Year?

LocoChiefsFan
12-27-2010, 09:10 AM
I understand that point, but in their defense, Tennessee has a really, really bad reputation for being the dirtiest team in football. Most teams draw a lot of personal fouls against this team. I think Jeff Fisher's a scumbag for condoning this kind of borderline illegal cheap shot tactics.

Dirtier than the Roiders?

MOhillbilly
12-27-2010, 09:10 AM
longest 3rd quarter ever.

bobbything
12-27-2010, 09:20 AM
At the game, they called it roughing the passer. Good Lord, you should have been there to see the uproar. I never heard them call it hands to the face, only rouging the passer.

It was complete horseshit. It led to the touchdown. At that point, I got a little bit nervous. They had some momentum.

Bob Dole
12-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Bob Dole doesn't remember getting OUR 15 free yards.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d81d37c7b.jpg