PDA

View Full Version : Misc Help me (try to) save a pair of work boots

OnTheWarpath15
12-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm guessing these boots are fucked, and it's my own fault, but I thought I'd check with the fine folks of CP and see if you had any suggestions.

A buddy of mine was a rep for Wolverine boots a while back, and had given me a pair. I've worn them precisely once.

The problem is, that the night I wore them (chasing one of the dogs that got loose in a monsoon) I took them off in the garage, completely caked in mud and forgot about them.

So they've been sitting in our garage, caked in mud, exposed to the heat of summer and the cold of winter.

I'm guessing the leather is fucked, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tips on removing the caked on mud without further damaging the leather, and getting them cleaned up as best as possible.

I'm just pissed because I normally take extremely good care of my things, I completely forgot I even had the boots, much less where I had put them.

Rep for useful suggestions, I've tried antifreeze, it doesn't work.

Bill Lundberg
12-28-2010, 12:27 PM
You should be able to take a hose and soft brush and spray off all the mud. Then once they've dried, just get a can of mink oil and go to town. If they're good boots, which Wolverine's usually are they will bounce back.

Donger
12-28-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm guessing these boots are ****ed, and it's my own fault, but I thought I'd check with the fine folks of CP and see if you had any suggestions.

A buddy of mine was a rep for Wolverine boots a while back, and had given me a pair. I've worn them precisely once.

The problem is, that the night I wore them (chasing one of the dogs that got loose in a monsoon) I took them off in the garage, completely caked in mud and forgot about them.

So they've been sitting in our garage, caked in mud, exposed to the heat of summer and the cold of winter.

I'm guessing the leather is ****ed, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tips on removing the caked on mud without further damaging the leather, and getting them cleaned up as best as possible.

I'm just pissed because I normally take extremely good care of my things, I completely forgot I even had the boots, much less where I had put them.

Rep for useful suggestions, I've tried antifreeze, it doesn't work.

Water and a soft brush would be my suggestion.

Demonpenz
gasoline

CaliforniaChief
The boot is probably not salvageable to the point that it will last as long as it normally would have. But you probably should try warm water and a vegetable brush.

KCSupersized
12-28-2010, 12:30 PM
My work boots are always caked with mud, and concrete. I wear them till they fall apart. Usually 8-12 months.

Bill Lundberg
12-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Better yet when they've dried use this

http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/v/vspfiles/photos/109011-2T.jpg

Let that dry a bit then use the mink oil

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/mink-oil-082410-lg-23050364.jpg

stevieray
12-28-2010, 12:34 PM
get em clean..then use saddle soap..then use polish..then use clear polish.
once you get'em clean I suggest rubbing the polish and clear in using your hand..nothing helps getting into the pores of the leather better than your warm skin....

good leather should bounce back nicely.

Donger
12-28-2010, 12:39 PM
My work boots are always caked with mud, and concrete. I wear them till they fall apart. Usually 8-12 months.

Wow. I have a pair of work shoes that are approaching ten years old.

pr_capone
12-28-2010, 12:40 PM
soak then in antifreeze

rockymtnchief
12-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Good tips by everyone. The only thing I'd add, after a good clean and polish, set them near a heat register over night. The warm leather should draw whatever you use on them deeper into the leather.

OnTheWarpath15
12-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys.

I should have been more clear. The warm water and soft brush was assumed.

The saddle soap and mink oil ideas is more of what I was looking for, it appears.

My concern is the mud staining the leather since it's been caked on so long.

Ming the Merciless
12-28-2010, 01:01 PM

So basically you are concerned with how your boyfriend will think you look in them while he pounds your ass?

http://www.slapyo.com/wp-content/gay_asians.jpg

El Jefe
12-28-2010, 01:06 PM

Big difference in someone who works in their boots everyday in non-optimal work environments i.e: construction, mechanic garage etc etc, than someone who wears them on the weekends or whenever they are "working" outside of their office jobs.

KCSupersized
12-28-2010, 01:07 PM

I think the chemicals in the concrete have corrosive effects. :shrug:

El Jefe
Good tips by everyone. The only thing I'd add, after a good clean and polish, set them near a heat register over night. The warm leather should draw whatever you use on them deeper into the leather.

The saddle soap and mink oil ideas is more of what I was looking for, it appears.

Read above you.

penguinz

My concern is the mud staining the leather since it's been caked on so long.The boots are treated before they leave the factory so you shouldn't have to worry about them staining too much if at all.

Bill Lundberg
12-28-2010, 01:10 PM

The saddle soap and mink oil will darken the leather as well, but as long as you put it on evenly your boots should be uniform in color.

SAUTO
12-28-2010, 01:27 PM

mine last anywhere between 6 - 10 months. BUT oil will do that to workboots

MOhillbilly
12-28-2010, 01:29 PM
i just spray mine down with WD-40 when they need oiled.

MOhillbilly
12-28-2010, 01:30 PM
mine last anywhere between 6 - 10 months. BUT oil will do that to workboots

What kinda boot you sport?

Road Hog
12-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Neatsfoot oil

Graystoke
12-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Saddle soap and Mink Oil are the best.
When they are clean and you are applying the Mink Oil use a Blow Dryer inbetween coats. This will open the pores of the leather, darken it all the same shade.
Do this 3-5X times.

Donger
12-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Big difference in someone who works in their boots everyday in non-optimal work environments i.e: construction, mechanic garage etc etc, than someone who wears them on the weekends or whenever they are "working" outside of their office jobs.

Yeah, the most abuse those shoes get are trade shows and airport security.

MOhillbilly
12-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Saddle soap and Mink Oil are the best.
When they are clean and you are applying the Mink Oil use a Blow Dryer inbetween coats. This will open the pores of the leather, darken it all the same shade.
Do this 3-5X times.

3-5 times for a pair of wolverines?

Maybe for a pair of redwings.

Graystoke
12-28-2010, 01:38 PM

I envision some pretty bad boots here. 3 times will make sure they are supple and waterproof.

philfree
12-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Put them on and go for a hike in some tall, wet, grass. Then when they dry finish cleaning them and put some Danner Boot Wax on them.

PhilFree:arrow:

mlyonsd
12-28-2010, 02:00 PM
They're work boots right? Put them on, go outside and work for an afternoon. Spray them down with a hose and wipe them down with saddle soap once they've dried.

tooge
12-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Put them on and go for a hike in some tall, wet, grass. Then when they dry finish cleaning them and put some Danner Boot Wax on them.

PhilFree:arrow:

This. My Danners are about 6 years old, they have been frozen, burned, mud caked, soaked through, and sud dried. All of these things many many times. I hit them with a hose, let them dry a few days, then, with the laces removed, apply two or three coats of Danner wax and buff at the last one. They look new until they have been abused 6 or 7 times, then I repeat the process.

RealSNR
12-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Antifreeze

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Wolverine boots went to shit about 10 years ago when they were sold to Payless and manufacturing was moved to China. My favorite boots when I was in the field were Wolverines though (pre-Payless)

penguinz
12-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Wolverine boots went to shit about 10 years ago when they were sold to Payless and manufacturing was moved to China. My favorite boots when I was in the field were Wolverines though (pre-Payless)I can find nothing saying that Payless bought Wolverine.

Bwana
12-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Childs play...

Lexol

Use this to clean them with water:

http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/708/574810/1/Lexol+200+ml+Leather+Cleaner.jpg

Use this after they are clean:

http://home.earthlink.net/~glovemedic/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/lexol.jpg

Lexol is fantastic.

Redcoats58
12-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah my work boots which are redwings last me about 2 years on the railrooad, they are pretty beat up by then. Now they will last a hell of a lot longer if I'm working the road instead of working yard jobs. I've got every kind of gunk on them and let them dry with the gunk on them and they still bounce back with a good warm water cleaning. If you barely use your boots clean them up and put mink oil on them they will last you a decade or longer even in their current state but only if you take care of them after you clean them up.

Bwana
12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
How concentrated is it?

Would the smaller bottle of each be enough?

For one cleaning, yes. I use the conditioner on ALL kinds of leather, from shit kickers to car seats, so I buy it in the 3 quart size. It has got me out of some serious jams with dry leather. It also doesn't smell like a bucket full of assholes, like some conditioners.

http://www.lexol.com/

OnTheWarpath15
12-28-2010, 04:42 PM
For one cleaning, yes. I use the conditioner on ALL kinds of leather, from shit kickers to car seats, so I buy it in the 3 quart size. It has got me out of some serious jams with dry leather. It also doesn't smell like a bucket full of assholes, like some conditioners.

I deleted my post after reading a few reviews on Amazon, and just went ahead and ordered a liter bottle of each.

Each of the cars could use it as well.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Bwana
12-28-2010, 04:45 PM
I deleted my post after reading a few reviews on Amazon, and just went ahead and ordered a liter bottle of each.

Each of the cars could use it as well.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Not a problem, I think you will really like it. Post again after you have had a chance to try it out. ;)

OnTheWarpath15
12-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Not a problem, I think you will really like it. Post again after you have had a chance to try it out. ;)

Will do. Probably Friday, as it should arrive on Thursday afternoon.

TimeForWasp
12-28-2010, 05:00 PM
gasoline

and a match, while wearing them and run around the block.

Ralphy Boy
12-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Old military trick, shaving cream can take off the old wax residue. I'd use it before I put any new wax on.

Bwana
12-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Old military trick, shaving cream can take off the old wax residue. I'd use it before I put any new wax on.

http://shirtoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/wax-on-wax-off.jpg

SAUTO
12-28-2010, 06:15 PM
What kinda boot you sport?

Lol I've tried them all

None last significantly longer than the others. Hell I can get 6 months out of a 30 dollar pair from walmart. And I can pay over a hundred and get 8 maybe 10. No pair has ever lasted me a year.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
12-28-2010, 06:20 PM

Last pair of wolverines I bought lasted less than six months. Fit good, comfortable. Didn't last. Pair before that , also wolverine, lasted eight months. I just can't get any life out of any brand. Some just help my feet out at the end of the day.....lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Bwana
12-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Try boar jiz!/Hog Farmer

Wyndex
12-28-2010, 07:42 PM
I've had a pair of work boots since November 06 and they're still rocking. Wear them all the time in the snow, worn them at all my jobs (labor/factories/construction) and they're beat to shit but still alive.

My friends they are Dunham 8000's

if you're interested

kstater
12-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Lol I've tried them all

None last significantly longer than the others. Hell I can get 6 months out of a 30 dollar pair from walmart. And I can pay over a hundred and get 8 maybe 10. No pair has ever lasted me a year.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm in the same boat. Can pay $30 at Wal-Mart for 3 months of use or pay $100 for some columbia's and get 9 months to a year. Not a major difference.

SAUTO
12-28-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm in the same boat. Can pay $30 at Wal-Mart for 3 months of use or pay $100 for some columbia's and get 9 months to a year. Not a major difference.

What do you do, if I may ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater
12-28-2010, 07:48 PM
I've had a pair of work boots since November 06 and they're still rocking. Wear them all the time in the snow, worn them at all my jobs (labor/factories/construction) and they're beat to shit but still alive.

My friends they are Dunham 8000's

if you're interested

These:

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/JTZJM2WPQE6SbFHMN8omWb6IyzBMlgWTcVKBXj_IgjBlOIDxaCGeqAa3jTVXgoM4OSTUc3h6V3ed8WZGhamN2qReAfhkcZnZt0_X QlcOJpzoAlqIimCnMD9XvD6MOpRzi37LsrU1gAVYr8NhJYin-fzY7g=s180

are not workboots

Bwana
12-28-2010, 07:50 PM

If you are willing to step up to Whites, that WILL change. They are all but bullet proof.

http://www.whitesboots.com/

SAUTO
12-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Bwana, will they hold up for me?
Posted via Mobile Device

Norman Einstein
12-28-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm guessing these boots are ****ed, and it's my own fault, but I thought I'd check with the fine folks of CP and see if you had any suggestions.

I'm guessing the leather is ****ed, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tips on removing the caked on mud without further damaging the leather, and getting them cleaned up as best as possible.

Rep for useful suggestions, I've tried antifreeze, it doesn't work.In the past I've used mink oil on boots, I don't know if it is good to restore dryed leather. I suggest going to a shoe repair shop and asking those guys, the ones I've used in the past can give you some professional advice - free. They may also have the product you need.

If you are looking for new boots I can recommend Red Wing. They are high dollar, but the pairs I've had through the years have outlasted all other brands. My first pair was used in construction, they were insulated for the winter, saved my feet from the cold. I had to get a summer pair after the winter was past. I think I wore those two pair for 4 years in construction. I changed professions and needed steel toe electrically insulated boots. I've had this pair for 7 years and they are still going strong. The plus to every pair of Red Wings I've had is that their price spaced over the years comes out to about $35 a year per pair for the first two pairs. The current pair is somewhere around $20 a year. I haven't even had to change the shoe strings on my current set of shoes.

When my son's started working and needed good work boots I bought them Red Wings.

stevieray
12-28-2010, 07:57 PM
I have a pair of Georgia Workboots (loggers)..had em seven years...still tough as nails and fit like a glove

breaking them in was a bitch, but well worth it.

Bwana
12-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Bwana, will they hold up for me?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes they will. I have had a pair for 10 years, have tried to kill them and haven't done it yet. They are expensive, but in this case, you get what you pay for bud. :thumb:

Wyndex
12-28-2010, 07:58 PM
These:

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/JTZJM2WPQE6SbFHMN8omWb6IyzBMlgWTcVKBXj_IgjBlOIDxaCGeqAa3jTVXgoM4OSTUc3h6V3ed8WZGhamN2qReAfhkcZnZt0_X QlcOJpzoAlqIimCnMD9XvD6MOpRzi37LsrU1gAVYr8NhJYin-fzY7g=s180

are not workboots

not if you're talking about steel toed boots that ago go above the ankle *armfold*

GloryDayz
12-28-2010, 08:00 PM
You can replace them with this, but it's not as fun!

http://www.bigmen.com/suits/images/db_suit.jpg

SAUTO
12-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes they will. I have had a pair for 10 years, have tried to kill them and haven't done it yet. They are expensive, but in this case, you get what you pay for bud. :thumb:

I'll check them out. Thanks. Oil and grease usually will kill the soles, even if they say they are resistant. Those are a pretty penny but I dint give a shit about that,i just need to take care of my feet. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Delano
12-28-2010, 08:02 PM
I use White's Boot Oil on every pair of boots I have. Fire boots, field boots, hunting boots. Generally, after I build up a nice layer of oil (one application per 5 uses) I'll clean and apply the oil every 10-15 uses.

If I'm shelving the boots between seasons, I add a layer of White's Boot Preservatives. I get the Oil and Preservative at Fire Etc.

For restoration purposes, I've heard some guys who like White's Pecard Oil and Dressing. I've never neglected a pair of boots to the point where restoration is needed, so I can't personally recommend the Pecard stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pablo
12-28-2010, 08:02 PM
I have a pair of Caterpillar's. They've held up pretty well over the course of two years, but the tread has almost worn smooth.

Going back to Georgia boots for my next pair.

SAUTO
12-28-2010, 08:05 PM
3 months and 6 months respectively. For me.I have a pair of Caterpillar's. They've held up pretty well over the course of two years, but the tread has almost worn smooth.

Going back to Georgia boots for my next pair.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bwana
12-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I'll check them out. Thanks. Oil and grease usually will kill the soles, even if they say they are resistant. Those are a pretty penny but I dint give a shit about that,i just need to take care of my feet. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

I would check On-line closeout outfits, Ebay and places like that to try to get a deal, if it were me.

Good Luck!

SAUTO
12-28-2010, 08:13 PM
I would check On-line closeout outfits, Ebay and places like that to try to get a deal, if it were me.

Good Luck!
Thanks a ton.

Happy holidays also.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bwana
12-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks a ton.

Happy holidays also.
Posted via Mobile Device

Likewise Jason!

Delano
12-28-2010, 08:15 PM
If you are willing to step up to Whites, that WILL change. They are all but bullet proof.

http://www.whitesboots.com/

This. I can roll around on the side of a mountain for 18 hour days in a pair of smoke jumpers and feel alright coming out. Not to mention they'll last a decade with proper care.

Hathorne is White's budget line and I'll say they are a good value boot.
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2010, 12:10 PM

http://www.lexol.com/

Lexol just showed up at the front door as I was finishing with the initial cleaning.

Can I use the pH cleaner while the boots are still wet, or do they need to dry between each application - meaning dry between initial scrub, then before pH cleaner, then before conditioner?

threebag
12-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Just wear them while you are on here. The shits so deep you won't even notice the mud.

Bwana
12-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Lexol just showed up at the front door as I was finishing with the initial cleaning.

Can I use the pH cleaner while the boots are still wet, or do they need to dry between each application - meaning dry between initial scrub, then before pH cleaner, then before conditioner?

Yes you can.

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Yes you can.

Thanks.

I'm assuming they need to dry completely before applying the conditioner, though?

Bwana
12-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks.

I'm assuming they need to dry completely before applying the conditioner, though?

In theory no, but given the choice, that's the route I would take.

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2010, 02:11 PM
In theory no, but given the choice, that's the route I would take.

Then I'll wait.

Thanks for your help.

Donger
12-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Can you chaps recommend footwear for extreme cold conditions?

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Holy fuck, Bwana. That shit is incredible.

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2010, 02:33 PM

I don't own a pair, but I've heard good things about these:

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-vanton-ii.html?parent_category_rn=&cm_vc=Search

Donger
12-30-2010, 02:35 PM
I don't own a pair, but I've heard good things about these:

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-vanton-ii.html?parent_category_rn=&cm_vc=Search

Great. Thanks.

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Great. Thanks.

No problem.

I guess I probably should have asked first, what do you consider "extreme cold?"

(Though I think those are rated to -30 or similar)

Donger
12-30-2010, 02:38 PM
No problem.

I guess I probably should have asked first, what do you consider "extreme cold?"

(Though I think those are rated to -30 or similar)

It will be -10 to -20F during the day, apparently.

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2010, 02:38 PM
It will be -10 to -20F during the day, apparently.

Jesus.

Where the fuck are you going?

Donger
12-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Jesus.

Where the **** are you going?

Up north.

Bwana
12-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Holy ****, Bwana. That shit is incredible.

Yeah, it's outstanding stuff. :thumb:

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Up north.

LMAO

Bwana
12-30-2010, 02:42 PM

Define extreme........what exactly will you be doing?

Bwana
12-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Yo Donger, I have bought product from these guys before and they have a great selection. I like Baffin boots myself.

http://www.winterfootwear.com/c122-winter_boot_categories_by_temperature_rating_extreme_cold_winter_boots.html

http://www.winterfootwear.com/pics/dougstoupfaceshot.jpg
http://www.winterfootwear.com/mortarimgcat/large/3317.jpg

Donger
12-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Yo Donger, I have bought product from these guys before and they have a great selection. I like Baffin boots myself.

http://www.winterfootwear.com/c122-winter_boot_categories_by_temperature_rating_extreme_cold_winter_boots.html

http://www.winterfootwear.com/pics/dougstoupfaceshot.jpg
http://www.winterfootwear.com/mortarimgcat/large/3317.jpg

Thanks!

Bwana
12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks!

No problem.

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Hey Bwana:

Any idea how these boots compare to the pair you posted?

Helluva deal if they are comparable.

http://www.rei.com/product/804470

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Gotta bump this thread one more time to thank Bwana for the Lexol recommendation, as well as introducing me to Baffin boots.

Walked into REI yesterday to try on a pair - I've read that they run a bit small, and wanted to try something on before I ordered the above pair online.

Turns out they had one pair left, and they luckily were my size.

Figuring they were a $150+ pair of boots, I just figured I'd order the closeouts through the store.

Then the girl told me that the pair I had tried on were a 2009 closeout as well. She looked up the price...

$43.99

Sold.

http://i.stpost.com/erez4/erez?src=ProductImages/3126H_02.tif&tmp=FullSize&redirect=0

Bwana
01-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Gotta bump this thread one more time to thank Bwana for the Lexol recommendation, as well as introducing me to Baffin boots.

Walked into REI yesterday to try on a pair - I've read that they run a bit small, and wanted to try something on before I ordered the above pair online.

Figuring they were a $150+ pair of boots, I just figured I'd order the closeouts through the store.

Then the girl told me that the pair I had tried on were a 2009 closeout as well. She looked up the price...

$43.99

Sold.

http://i.stpost.com/erez4/erez?src=ProductImages/3126H_02.tif&tmp=FullSize&redirect=0

Nice Score on the boots! That's one hell of a deal. I'm glad you liked the Lexol as well. :thumb:

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Nice Score on the boots! That's one hell of a deal. I'm glad you liked the Lexol as well. :thumb:

Appreciate all your help/advice.

I think I could wear those boots without socks and my feet would stay warm.

The boots rated to -148 must be fucking tanks.

With the money I saved on boots, I can get myself a decent pair of gloves.

Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

Bwana
01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Appreciate all your help/advice.

I think I could wear those boots without socks and my feet would stay warm.

The boots rated to -148 must be ****ing tanks.

With the money I saved on boots, I can get myself a decent pair of gloves.

Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

That depends, what exactly are you going to be doing with them? How long will you be outside and at what temps?

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 01:55 PM
That depends, what exactly are you going to be doing with them? How long will you be outside and at what temps?

Little to no activity, as low as single digit temps. Outside for up to 8-10 hours.

bevischief
01-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Little to no activity, as low as single digit temps. Outside for up to 8-10 hours.

Tailgating.

Bwana
01-01-2011, 02:04 PM

8-10 hours is along time. I really like Grandoe gloves. The Grandoe Crestone is one hell of a glove, but it's not cheap. If you can find a pair on-sale, you couldn't go wrong. They normally go for around $150-$170, but WILL keep your hands warm, when 99% of the gloves on the face of the planet won't. If you can't find the Crestone on-sale, I would still look at other Grandoe gloves.

http://www.gloves-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=SM-3410

Here is another link: These guys are having a sale for $99.00.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/1868R_Grandoe-Crestone-Gore-Tex-Gloves-Waterproof-Leather-For-Men-.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Grandoe_Crestone_Gore-Tex_Gloves_-_Waterproof_Leather_For_Men_&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLEBASE2KX&codesProcessed=true

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Tailgating.

And potentially ice fishing.

Buddy of mine in Minnesota has been begging me to come up.

Bwana
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM
And potentially ice fishing.

Buddy of mine in Minnesota has been begging me to come up.

Hmmm? I would bring plenty of these along either way. (they work) If you can keep your hands and feet warm, you're covered.

http://www.lobbystackle.co.uk/usrimage/hot-hands.jpg

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Hmmm? I would bring plenty of these along either way. (they work) If you can keep your hands and feet warm, you're covered.

Yeah, I was hoping to not have to fuck with those things.

I'm confident that the boots I just bought will keep my feet warm without those heat packs.

Not sure I want to spend $100+ on gloves that will only get used once or twice a year.

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Any thoughts on either of these?

http://www.rei.com/product/805315

http://www.rei.com/product/805314

Bwana
01-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I was hoping to not have to **** with those things.

I'm confident that the boots I just bought will keep my feet warm without those heat packs.

Not sure I want to spend $100+ on gloves that will only get used once or twice a year.

Well, I will tell your this..... You are always better off with a pair of mittens, over gloves, if you can go that route. They will keep your hands a lot warmer, pound per pound. Gloves will never keep your hands as warm as mittens because your fingers are separated.

If you do decide on a cheaper pair of "gloves" your hands will get cold without the hot hands. I'm just trying to save you from a lot of misery here dude. I have been in a lot of hardcore cold weather and have learned what does, and doesn't work. It's hard to enjoy a football game, if you're wondering if your fingers are turning black and are about ready to fall off.

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Well, I will tell your this..... You are always better off with a pair of mittens, over gloves, if you can go that route. They will keep your hands a lot warmer, pound per pound. Gloves will never keep your hands as warm as mittens because your fingers are separated.

If you do decide on a cheaper pair of "gloves" your hands will get cold without the hot hands. I'm just trying to save you from a lot of misery here dude. I have been in a lot of hardcore cold weather and have learned what does, and doesn't work. It's hard to enjoy a football game, if you're wondering if your fingers are turning black and are about ready to fall off.

I follow, agree with you, and thank you for your help.

What do you think of that second pair of Grandoe's I linked? The pair with the V6 system?

Bwana
01-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Any thoughts on either of these?

http://www.rei.com/product/805315

http://www.rei.com/product/805314

Looks like a decent buy, but if you get them, bring at least two pair of Hot Hands, just to be safe. Look at the Hot hands as a $5 insurance policy.

Bwana
01-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I follow, agree with you, and thank you for your help.

What do you think of that second pair of Grandoe's I linked? The pair with the V6 system?

I would go with those pair, out of the two you listed.

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Looks like a decent buy, but if you get them, bring at least two pair of Hot Hands, just to be safe. Look at the Hot hands as a $5 insurance policy.

I would go with those pair, out of the two you listed.

Do you think they are decent gloves, or just a decent buy because of the price?

stevieray
01-01-2011, 02:46 PM

truth. I have a pair of wool chiefs mittens, that flip back to the exposed fingertips...best of both worlds.

Bwana
01-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Do you think they are decent gloves, or just a decent buy because of the price?

For the price they are decent. Give me a few minutes to look around at a few more for you.

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Grandoe-Rainier-Glove-Large-Black/dp/B002GKC5VO/ref=sr_1_8?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1293914723&sr=1-8&searchContext=B002EWAM6E,B003PDNNM6,B003PDNNVM,B002XKUAR8,B0034LYZ0S,B003PDNPM4,B003PDNS6W,B002GKC5V O,B003PDNQPU,B003PDNM6I,B003PDNN4O,B003PDNJKC,B003PDNJMU,B003PDNKLK,B002Z30BMW,B003PDNLXC,B003PDNKB0 ,B001589S72,B003PDNQ3C,B0030F3LQM,B003PDNSNA,B002TBX6KE,B003PDNSGM,B003PDNOH0

http://www.amazon.com/Grandoe-Tundra-Glove-Black-X-Large/dp/B003PDNKLK/ref=sr_1_14?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1293914723&sr=1-14&searchContext=B002EWAM6E,B003PDNNM6,B003PDNNVM,B002XKUAR8,B0034LYZ0S,B003PDNPM4,B003PDNS6W,B002GKC5V O,B003PDNQPU,B003PDNM6I,B003PDNN4O,B003PDNJKC,B003PDNJMU,B003PDNKLK,B002Z30BMW,B003PDNLXC,B003PDNKB0 ,B001589S72,B003PDNQ3C,B0030F3LQM,B003PDNSNA,B002TBX6KE,B003PDNSGM,B003PDNOH0

bevischief
01-01-2011, 02:51 PM

These kept my hands warm for the Denver game 1 in each glove, my hands were the only thing that was cold.

Bwana
01-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Grandoe-Rainier-Glove-Large-Black/dp/B002GKC5VO/ref=sr_1_8?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1293914723&sr=1-8&searchContext=B002EWAM6E,B003PDNNM6,B003PDNNVM,B002XKUAR8,B0034LYZ0S,B003PDNPM4,B003PDNS6W,B002GKC5V O,B003PDNQPU,B003PDNM6I,B003PDNN4O,B003PDNJKC,B003PDNJMU,B003PDNKLK,B002Z30BMW,B003PDNLXC,B003PDNKB0 ,B001589S72,B003PDNQ3C,B0030F3LQM,B003PDNSNA,B002TBX6KE,B003PDNSGM,B003PDNOH0

http://www.amazon.com/Grandoe-Tundra-Glove-Black-X-Large/dp/B003PDNKLK/ref=sr_1_14?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1293914723&sr=1-14&searchContext=B002EWAM6E,B003PDNNM6,B003PDNNVM,B002XKUAR8,B0034LYZ0S,B003PDNPM4,B003PDNS6W,B002GKC5V O,B003PDNQPU,B003PDNM6I,B003PDNN4O,B003PDNJKC,B003PDNJMU,B003PDNKLK,B002Z30BMW,B003PDNLXC,B003PDNKB0 ,B001589S72,B003PDNQ3C,B0030F3LQM,B003PDNSNA,B002TBX6KE,B003PDNSGM,B003PDNOH0

War, for an extra $10, you can own the Crestone. To be honest, I would rather spend a few extra bucks and have something that works the first time. With that being said, both of your choices are decent gloves.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/1868R_Grandoe-Crestone-Gore-Tex-Gloves-Waterproof-Leather-For-Men-.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Grandoe_Crestone_Gore-Tex_Gloves_-_Waterproof_Leather_For_Men_&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLEBASE2KX&codesProcessed=true

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 03:10 PM
War, for an extra $10, you can own the Crestone. To be honest, I would rather spend a few extra bucks and have something that works the first time. With that being said, both of your choices are decent gloves.

Agreed. I'll go with the Crestone.

DeezNutz
01-01-2011, 03:10 PM
**** me. $100 gloves?

For Montana, I understand, since you ****ers deal with extreme shit. For the midwest? These will do just fine:

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=3111015&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Project%20Source%20Brown%20Jersey%20Gloves%20-%20Large%20LO9192

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 03:11 PM
**** me. $100 gloves?

For Montana, I understand, since you ****ers deal with extreme shit. For the midwest? These will do just fine:

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=3111015&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Project%20Source%20Brown%20Jersey%20Gloves%20-%20Large%20LO9192

LMAO

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Can I interest you in a pair of these, Deez?

http://www.carhamptonemart.co.uk/user/products/large/rainbow%20wool%20gloves.jpg

DeezNutz
01-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Can I interest you in a pair of these, Deez?

http://www.carhamptonemart.co.uk/user/products/large/rainbow%20wool%20gloves.jpg

Is that a gay slur because of the rainbow colors? Mods?!!

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Is that a gay slur because of the Rainbow colors? Mods?!!

ROFL

Bwana
01-01-2011, 03:19 PM
**** me. $100 gloves?

ROFL

http://firstaid.about.com/od/heatcoldexposur1/ht/06_Frostbite.htm

DeezNutz
01-01-2011, 03:23 PM
ROFL

http://firstaid.about.com/od/heatcoldexposur1/ht/06_Frostbite.htm

Did Jersey gloves cause that? Fuck. I need to step up my game. :(

Bwana
01-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Agreed. I'll go with the Crestone.

Your hands will thank you. Way to throw on the Shawn Smith, "big brass ones" and step up. Now I don't have to worry about your first thread after the game being: " Any way to grow fingers back on my hand?"

Bwana
01-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Did Jersey gloves cause that? ****. I need to step up my game. :(

Heh, no, I think it was more of a pissed of Mother Nature that caused that.

http://imnotfeelingyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/mother_earth-1.jpg

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Bwana:

Found a discount code for an extra 25% off.

Ended up getting them for $75.

Thanks again.

Bwana
01-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Bwana:

Found a discount code for an extra 25% off.

Ended up getting them for $75.

Thanks again.

ROFL

War: I pride myself at finding a deals on about everything. If I want it, I WILL find a deal on it. I have to tell you, after the price you paid for the boots and the smoking deal you just got those gloves for, I have to tip my hat. Well done, well done indeed! :thumb:

Let me know what you think of the gloves when they hit your doorstep, I think you'll be impressed. As I stated before, at least now you have a great pair of gloves that you will use. With a crap pair, you would use them once, freeze your hands off, park them in the back of the closet for 10 years, then donate them to the Salvation Army.

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 05:04 PM
ROFL

War: I pride myself at finding a deals on about everything. If I want it, I WILL find a deal on it. I have to tell you, after the price you paid for the boots and the smoking deal you just got those gloves for, I have to tip my hat. Well done, well done indeed! :thumb:

Let me know what you think of the gloves when they hit your doorstep, I think you'll be impressed. As I stated before, at least now you have a great pair of gloves that you will use. With a crap pair, you would use them once, freeze your hands off, park them in the back of the closet for 10 years, then donate them to the Salvation Army.

I never would have found either deal had it not been for you taking the time to give some advice.

I got lucky with the boots. Had planned on getting a deal since REI had the Explorers for $89 - wasn't expecting to get a pair for half of that.

Thanks again for your time and advice.

DeezNutz
01-01-2011, 05:08 PM
I have a question about those gloves (the $100 ones). The description notes a zipper "for handwarmers" or other items. Really?!? Handwarmers???

I better be at the Arctic Circle if I'm $100 deep and in need of handwarmers.

Bwana
01-01-2011, 05:08 PM
I never would have found either deal had it not been for you taking the time to give some advice.

I got lucky with the boots. Had planned on getting a deal since REI had the Explorers for $89 - wasn't expecting to get a pair for half of that.

Thanks again for your time and advice.

Not a problem, stay warm and enjoy.

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I have a question about those gloves (the $100 ones). The description notes a zipper "for handwarmers" or other items. Really?!? Handwarmers???

LMAO

I thought the same thing.

I'm guessing in more normal climates - like single digits+ - that pocket gets used for keys, ID, etc.

Bwana
01-01-2011, 05:24 PM

As I stated before, there isn't a glove on the planet that is a warm as a mitten. With that being said, that pocket is for extreme conditions. If you are moving your hands a lot, the blood will be flowing and generate more heat to your fingers. If you are sitting around not doing much, or doing something like riding and ATV on a cold winters day, not so much.

Even with those gloves, I still bring along Hot Hands just in case. I haven't needed them, but I would rather pack a $5 insurance policy and not need it, rather than not doing it and wishing I had.

This is what I'm dealing with today:

The Billings-area forecast for New Year's Day calls for blowing snow after 11 a.m. it will be sunny and cold, with a high near 15 in Billings. Wind chill values could go as low as minus 35. West southwest winds will blow 11 to 14 mph increasing to between 20 and 23 mph.

Buehler445
01-01-2011, 06:49 PM

I dunno Deez. I've spent some extended time in cold weather, and it doesn't take much to stay warm. I can park my car outside my house and go start it when it is 0 with shorts and no shirt on. But if you have to stay outside all day, it is a LOT different. Particularly if you get behind. If you get cold out there and need to warm yourself up, it takes a fucking act of GOD.

I'm currently in the running for the cheapest motherfucker on the planet. But I've learned that I will pay for good pieces to keep me warm.

dirk digler
01-01-2011, 07:05 PM

$43.99

Sold.

Nice boots what is the name of them besides Baffin?

rtmike
01-01-2011, 07:51 PM
I used to exclusively wear Danner boots. They're local & have a factory outlet store but they're still a spendy boot. They used to have a lengthy warranty but I never had a pair last more than a year or two. They ended up with like a 90 day warranty cause so many were getting returned.

I found a boot dryer to be a Godsend. The boots are dried out properly & there's nothing like putting on a warm pair of boots in the morning. I almost gave the dryer away but my daughter now uses it for her soccer shoes.

I would have laced up the muddy boots & just wore them. At the end of the day treat 'em. I just used whatever that was that Danner sold.

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Nice boots what is the name of them besides Baffin?

Model name is Outback. These are the 2009 Model.

Believe the 2010's run around $135.

dirk digler
01-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Model name is Outback. These are the 2009 Model.

Believe the 2010's run around $135.

Thanks! I like them and might get me a pair but I doubt I will get lucky as you as far as price. :thumb:

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks! I like them and might get me a pair but I doubt I will get lucky as you as far as price. :thumb:

I highly doubt you'd be able to match that deal.

REI didn't even have them on their website. They must have been an order that got returned.

With that said, if you can find them for $100 or less, I'd jump on them. I would have spent that much without blinking if need be.

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Dirk:

These look to be pretty comparable.

http://www.amazon.com/Baffin-Mens-Edge-Insulated-Black/dp/B001E5CROC/ref=sr_1_3?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1293938310&sr=1-3&searchContext=B001HZ1EJS,B001E5CRW4,B001E5CROC,B003HNN9SW,B002C75IXI,B002VPEB52,B002VPEAXA,B002VPEB7 U,B003HNNAF4,B003HNNAP4,B003HNN9R8,B003HNN9LY,B002C75IN8,B002D48R7O,B003HNNBP8,B001E5CQK2,B002D48SNC ,B003HNNA3G,B002C75IBU,B003HNNDBA,B003HKS4HQ,B002C75HV6,B003HNNA7C,B003HNNBLM

dirk digler
01-01-2011, 09:21 PM
I highly doubt you'd be able to match that deal.

REI didn't even have them on their website. They must have been an order that got returned.

With that said, if you can find them for $100 or less, I'd jump on them. I would have spent that much without blinking if need be.

I just found a pair for $71 I think I will do it. Are they comfortable?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Reviews/3126H_Baffin-Outback-Winter-Pac-Boots-Insulated-For-Men.html

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2011, 09:22 PM
I just found a pair for $71 I think I will do it. Are they comfortable?

Sierra Trading Post?

Check the size. 7's only.

And yes, they are very comfortable.

dirk digler
01-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Sierra Trading Post?

Check the size. 7's only.

And yes, they are very comfortable.

Ahh fuck that is BS. Figures. Thanks for pointing that out.

OnTheWarpath15
01-13-2022, 08:06 PM

$43.99

Sold.

10 years and a few weeks, and these bit the dust. Pulled them out to wear tailgating Sunday, and the heel seam is blown on both boots. Hopefully KC doesn't get more than an inch or two of snow or I'm fucked - they have a removable insulated bootie so I'm not terribly concerned about air leaking in - but water will be a problem.

No one seems to keep Baffin in stock, has to be ordered.

Thanks again, Bwana - pretty sure these were the deal of the decade.

OnTheWarpath15
01-13-2022, 08:08 PM
LONGSHOT:

If anyone knows of a store in KC that keeps Baffin products in stock, let me know - heading up tomorrow for the game and can hit a few places when I get into town.

Bwana
01-13-2022, 11:10 PM
10 years and a few weeks, and these bit the dust. Pulled them out to wear tailgating Sunday, and the heel seam is blown on both boots. Hopefully KC doesn't get more than an inch or two of snow or I'm ****ed - they have a removable insulated bootie so I'm not terribly concerned about air leaking in - but water will be a problem.

No one seems to keep Baffin in stock, has to be ordered.

Thanks again, Bwana - pretty sure these were the deal of the decade.

Not exactly sure what you mean by the heal seam, but I've had bottoms come loose from boots and used this. Works like a champ for a lifetime fix.
Slather a bunch on whatever is loose, apply some weight to it and let it sit overnight.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81EMsK7piZS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OnTheWarpath15
01-15-2022, 11:38 AM
Not exactly sure what you mean by the heal seam, but I've had bottoms come loose from boots and used this. Works like a champ for a lifetime fix.
Slather a bunch on whatever is loose, apply some weight to it and let it sit overnight.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81EMsK7piZS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yep the upper came apart from the sole. I bought some waterproof Gorilla Tape to rig it for the weekend until my Snow Monsters show up.

Might try this route though…

srvy
01-15-2022, 06:07 PM
Just get you a pair of five buckle rubber boots in a large enough size to go over your regular boots. You can find them in any farm supply store. They will keep your feet dry and warm. Surveyors have used them for years in wet snow and muck. Servus or La Cross is the best. Tractor supply or a construction contractor supply will have the big-sized to go over boots.

https://media.tractorsupply.com/is/image/TractorSupplyCompany/6356158?$456$
https://www.coburn.com/images/thumbs/0013401_lacrosse-mz-series-5-buckle-overshoe_550.jpeg