PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 2001 Patriots = 2010 Chiefs?

RockChalk
12-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I haven't seen the comparisons anywhere on here and just thought there were a few similarities. I'm not saying this team will win the Super Bowl by any means. I'm just thankful we actually have a legit shot at a playoff win. Anyways...

2001 Patriots came off of a last place, 5-11 record the prior year (Belichick's first) Finished 2001 with a regular season record of 11-5 and AFC East division champs. Were led by an unproven, future franchise QB

2010 Chiefs came off of a last place, 4-12 record the prior year (Haley's first). Possible 11-5 regular season record and AFC West division champs. Led by an unproven, appears to be future franchise QB (I'm not saying he's Tom Brady, but he doesn't have to be)

There's always a lot of comparisons/jokes on here about the Patriot Way. 2001 is when they got it started and they've been strong ever since. It feels good to be a Chiefs fan for the first time in a long time :toast:

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-29-2010, 10:23 AM
How can you not compare the two QB's when comparing the teams. There was a S*** ton of doubt regarding Brady when they chose him over Bledsoe, much like the doubt towards Cassel. Brady rose above it to become the elite player in NFL. May the Gods be so kind to our City.

DonTellMeShowMe
12-29-2010, 10:29 AM
hmmmm

DaWolf
12-29-2010, 10:47 AM
I see the parallels, though I agree we aren't set up for a Super Bowl yet. Even the 2001 Pats needed some fortune to get there (see: Rule, Tuck). IIRC the 2001 Pats had some more veteran pieces on D than we do, which really helped.

But I think Pioli has made this comparison when he took the job. He said that the 2000 team was a mess, and in 2001 it was the beginning of the turnaround. He mentioned that the 2001 team did far more than they expected and probably played above their talent level. The 2002 team came back and missed the playoffs, which he said wasn't a shock because the pieces still weren't all there. But he said by 2003, they were in a position where they expected to go out there and compete for the championship.

I think we might see the same pattern here. Next year it wouldn't shock me if we dipped back to 9-7 or so, and then 2012 would see us get back to the top...

RockChalk
12-29-2010, 10:52 AM
He mentioned that the 2001 team did far more than they expected and probably played above their talent level.

Isn't that exactly what the 2010 Chiefs have done? Like the rest of your post said, the 2001 Pats benefited from some good fortune. Maybe we can as well :thumb:

DaWolf
12-29-2010, 10:52 AM
How can you not compare the two QB's when comparing the teams. There was a S*** ton of doubt regarding Brady when they chose him over Bledsoe, much like the doubt towards Cassel. Brady rose above it to become the elite player in NFL. May the Gods be so kind to our City.

I was actually watching that "America's Game" program on the NFL Network regarding the 2001 Pats and it's funny now to see how much they were debating Bledsoe vs Brady back then. A local news program was interviewing people on the street and there were comments like "They should start Bledsoe because he's a better quarterback." People were looking at Brady like some kind of game manager at the time. Give credit for Belichick for seeing beyond that. Some would argue that if Marty had done the same thing in 1997, we wouldn't be talking about a playoff win drought here...

ModSocks
12-29-2010, 10:57 AM
If we win the SB, I'll be convinced that Pioli is working with some phuked up, Dark football Voodoo.

Like, he has the "Football of Destiny" or some shit. And whom ever holds the "Football of Destiny" becomes awesome superbowl winners.

AirForceChief
12-29-2010, 11:38 AM
C'mon, can't we just compare this year's Chiefs with the 1999 Rams, instead? After all, the 1998 Rams were 4-12, just like we were last year!

LaChapelle
12-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Belichick had a d coordinator named Romeo
Haley has an o coordinator named Weis

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nMCaHxZuf94?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nMCaHxZuf94?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Amnorix
12-29-2010, 12:20 PM
I was actually watching that "America's Game" program on the NFL Network regarding the 2001 Pats and it's funny now to see how much they were debating Bledsoe vs Brady back then. A local news program was interviewing people on the street and there were comments like "They should start Bledsoe because he's a better quarterback." People were looking at Brady like some kind of game manager at the time. Give credit for Belichick for seeing beyond that. Some would argue that if Marty had done the same thing in 1997, we wouldn't be talking about a playoff win drought here...

It's certainly fair to say that Bledsoe had many boosters in New England in both the media and the fan base. But Brady had his many backers too. I specifically remember when I decided that it had to be Brady in the Super Bowl -- when Bledsoe came in for him after Brady was hurt late in the 1st half of the AFCC against the Steelers Bledsoe did a great job of throwing a nifty TD in the back corner in the end zone. Later, sometime in the second half, he threw the most god-awful dumb-ass blind over-his-shoulder no look duck to avoid taking a sack.

The pass wasn't a pick, but easily could've been, and cuold've been a pick six in a tight game. That was when I said "right, million dollar arm, ten cent head, give me Brady".

Amnorix
12-29-2010, 12:22 PM
One key difference, maybe, is that the Patriots had alot of older players, including a large number of savvy vets who had playoff wins and even Super Bowl appearances under their belt.

I worry about very young teams in the plyaoffs, which I think the Chiefs are. That also includes the 2010 Pats, btw.

Pioli Zombie
12-29-2010, 01:26 PM
This is a very legit comparison. Most Patriot fans in 2001 were delighted with a playoff berth, let alone a division title. There was NEVER an expectation of going any farther than possibly beating Oakland at home. But they were solid in all phases of the game and had momentum. The Patriots today are similar to the 2001 Steelers. You grab your opportunity while you can. Maybe its THIS year. If Cassel plays like he has why not?

WebGem
12-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Well they both won the Super Bowl, so they're somewhat comparable.

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2010, 04:19 PM

I just watched this episode this morning.

My favorite part is before the last drive of the SB, everyone is reminding Weis to tell Brady to take care of the ball.

Bledsoe walks up to Brady and says, "Fuck that. Go out there and sling it."

Ming the Merciless
12-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Bledsoe walks up to Brady and says, "**** that. Go out there and sling it."

awesome

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2010, 04:30 PM
awesome

8:00 mark.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S8LUx279bhw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S8LUx279bhw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hammock Parties
12-30-2010, 04:59 PM
lol @ Dexter McCleon calling Tom Brady overrated.

Kidd Lex
12-30-2010, 05:03 PM
"F**k that, go out there and sling it!" -Bledsoe

JD10367
12-30-2010, 08:07 PM

There IS a similarity in that both Brady and Cassel were late-draft picks, didn't do as much in college as some other "name" QBs (Brady split time, Cassel didn't play at all), were kept around by Belichick even though they'd shown nothing much to fans, and elevated to the backup status inexplicably as far as fans thought. But there wasn't much doubt with the coaching staff in either case, I don't think.

Ming the Merciless
12-30-2010, 08:51 PM
8:00 mark.

Fucking CLASSIC. TY for posting That...

HAHAHAH so sick...

Psyko Tek
12-30-2010, 11:02 PM
"Fuck that, go out there and sling it!" -Bledsoe

that's a life quote there

Ralphy Boy
12-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Playoffs?!?!?!?!

Actually, I think we are playing really good team football as of late and IF we can continue to stay hot via a win over the Chargers we should wrap up the season by winning out. Since now is the best time to be coming on strong we could be in a really good position, as an under the radar type of team that nobody really expects to win, to surprise some teams.

In a way, we kind of remind me of the 2001 Pat's, not necessarily because of the schedule or anything, but more in the way that they just found ways to win...even though it wasn't pretty wins.

The Pats started that season off 1 & 3, before they really started finding their way and making an identity for themselves. Even during the season, nobody really expected much from them and I can't recall that anyone even thought they stood a chance against the Rams.

At the end of the day the team play and great coaching were the key factors in their SB win.

:p

Kidd Lex
12-31-2010, 12:22 AM
"F**k that, go out there and sling it!" -Bledsoe

that's a life quote there

Your right, I had an ex-fiance that used to tell me that when I'd hide in the closet and her prey was in bed, but she always scored hotter women than me, so you can't blame the nerves... Pathetic. :facepalm: