PDA

View Full Version : Football Northwest Missouri State's head football coach, Mel Tjeerdsma, has retired

Reaper16
12-29-2010, 12:22 PM
One of the most successful and well-respected coaches in the history of collegiate football, Mel Tjeerdsma, announced Wednesday that he will retire following a brilliant coaching career that spanned the last four decades. Tjeerdsma, 64, vacates his post at Northwest Missouri State University following 17 years of service and after orchestrating one of the greatest football program transformations in the history of collegiate athletics. The Bearcats were 0-11 in 1994, his first season. The team is 183-32 since with three national championships and 12 conference championships in the last 15 seasons.

"The past 17 years have been an incredible experience for Carol and me," said Tjeerdsma. "The growth and the development of the Bearcat football program have probably exceeded all of our expectations. Even though we've been blessed with an abundance of great memories on the field, the friendships and relationships that we've developed are the most important aspect of our time at Northwest."

Four years after his inaugural season with the team, Northwest became the first NCAA Division II program to finish a season 15-0. The Bearcats won back-to-back national championships in 1998 and 1999 – the University's first national titles in any sport. Northwest added a third championship in 2009 that capped an unprecedented run of five national championship game appearances that began in 2005. The Bearcats were 76-12 in those five seasons.

Among his peers in Division II, Tjeerdsma is third on the active wins list (242) and has tallied more postseason victories than any other coach in Division II history. He's led Northwest to the playoffs 13 times in the last 15 seasons, sports a 32-10 overall postseason record and is the program's all-time winningest coach.

The Bearcats' 12 MIAA championships are highlighted by two prolific conference winning streaks. His teams won 41 consecutive conference games from 1997-2001, a record that stood until his squad surpassed it this past season. The 2011 Bearcat team will open conference play riding a 46-game win streak in MIAA play. Ten Northwest teams have finished 9-0 in league play since 1997.

Matching on-the-field performance are exploits and honors off the field. Tjeerdsma's teams have featured seven academic All-Americans in the last seven years and two Ken B. Jones Award Winners in the last five years as the top male student-athlete in the MIAA. Safety Myles Burnsides was named National Scholar-Athlete of the Year for 2009-10.

Northwest's football program boasts a graduation rate of 85 percent, a mark that rises well above the national average of 53 percent.

Northwest President Dr. John Jasinski praised Tjeerdsma for his leadership.
"This is a day we all knew would come at some point and thus one of complete honor and celebration for Coach Tjeerdsma, his wife, Carol, and his family," said Jasinski. "We can talk records and honors, championships and streaks, but when we talk of Coach T, we talk about his leadership with integrity, his focus on the development of the complete student-athlete and his winning ways starting with off-the-field focus and transferring to storied on-the-field successes."

Tjeerdsma's honors include being named the Kansas City Chiefs' nominee for the Don Shula Coach of the Year Award, being inducted into the NCAA Division II Football Hall of Fame back on Dec. 17 and being inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame last January. Tjeerdsma also is serving as keynote speaker at Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon's prayer breakfast Jan. 5.
Tjeerdsma is a four-time national coach of the year honoree, was Liberty Mutual's Coach of the Year in 2009 and is a finalist for the award again this year. He is a 12-time MIAA Coach of the Year honoree.

Prior to coaching at Northwest, Tjeerdsma guided Austin College to three Texas Intercollegiate Athletic Association Championships (TIAA) and became the program's all-time winningest coach. The Kangaroos were 59-38-4 in 10 seasons under Tjeerdsma and made two trips to the NAIA Division II playoffs. Tjeerdsma earned three TIAA Coach of the Year awards.

Before his time at Austin, Tjeerdsma was the offensive coordinator at Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa, for eight years. He also served as the head track and field coach at Northwestern. The Red Raiders earned four trips to the NAIA Division II playoffs and won a national championship in 1983 with Tjeerdsma on staff. His offense twice led the nation in total offense and scoring. His track and field teams won three Tri-State Conference titles and five consecutive NAIA District 15 Indoor Championships.

Prior to his collegiate coaching career, Tjeerdsma served as head football coach at Denison (Iowa) High School, where he guided his team to a 9-0 record and a 1975 state playoff berth.

He earned Northwest Iowa Coach of the Year honors in 1972 after winning a state championship at Sioux Center High School. He was the Northwest Iowa Track and Field Coach of the Year in 1973, 1974 and 1975.

Tjeerdsma earned his bachelor's in physical education from Southern (S.D.) State in 1967. He earned his master's from Northwest in 1977.

Tjeerdsma and his wife, Carol, have three married daughters and seven grandchildren.

A year-by-year collegiate coaching record and a listing of awards follows:
Austin (Texas) College (1984-1993)
1984............... 5-4-1 TIAA champ.
1985.................. 7-3 TIAA champ.
1986.................. 6-4
1987............... 2-5-3
1988.................. 9-2 TIAA champ., NAIA playoffs
1989.................. 6-4
1990.................. 8-3 NAIA playoffs
1991.................. 6-4
1992.................. 6-4
1993.................. 4-6
Total......59-39-4 (.598)
Northwest Missouri State University (1994-2010)
1994................. 0-11
1995.................. 6-5
1996................. 11-2 MIAA champ.
1997................. 12-1 MIAA champ.
1998................. 15-0 MIAA, NCAA champ.
1999................. 14-1 MIAA, NCAA champ.
2000................. 11-1 MIAA champ.
2001.................. 7-4
2002................. 12-1 MIAA champ.
2003.................. 8-3 MIAA champ.
2004................. 11-2
2005................. 11-4 NCAA national runner-up
2006................. 14-1 MIAA champ, NCAA national runner-up
2007................. 12-2 MIAA champ, NCAA national runner-up
2008................. 13-2 MIAA champ, NCAA national runner-up
2009................. 14-1 MIAA, NCAA champ.
2010................. 12-2 MIAA champ, NCAA national semifinalist
Total.......... .......183-43 (.810)
Career Total......242-82-4 (.744)
Tjeerdsma News and Notes:
· Tjeerdsma was among the first three coaches inducted into the NCAA Division II College Football Hall of Fame during a ceremony in Florence, Ala., Dec. 17.
· Was inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame in January 2010
· Northwest won national championships in 1998, 1999 and 2009
· Northwest competed in seven national championship games in the last 13 seasons
· Tjeerdsma is a four-time national coach of the year honoree (1998, 1999, 2008, 2009)
· Northwest won 12 MIAA championships (1996-2000, 2002-03, 2006-10)
· Tjeerdsma is a 12-time MIAA Coach of the Year honoree (1995-2000, 2002, 2006-10)
· Tjeerdsma is a seven-time AFCA Regional Coach of the Year (1996-2000, 2006, 2008)
· Tjeerdsma's 32 postseason victories are a Division II record (32-10)
· Four players under Tjeerdsma have been drafted into the NFL
· Fifteen players have either been drafted or signed NFL contracts during Tjeerdsma's tenure
· Served as president of the AFCA in 2006
· Tjeerdsma has produced 44 All-Americans, including 30 first-team All-Americans and 14 players who earned All-America honors in two or more seasons.
· Tjeerdsma has produced 119 All-MIAA student-athletes, including 80 players who earned first-team honors.

Thanks for all of the memories, Coach. Maryville, MO and the entire NWMSU community are forever changed for the better because of you.

doomy3
12-29-2010, 12:23 PM
What a legend.

Reaper16
12-29-2010, 12:25 PM
http://www.nwmissouri.edu/sports/boyce/122910.htm

When is it the right time for a highly successful coach to walk away and call it a day?

When he says it is time.

For Northwest Missouri State football coach Mel Tjeerdsma, the time arrived 8:45 a.m. Wednesday morning at the Student Union.

Tjeerdsma wants to spend more time with his grandchildren.
"That's why we are doing this," he said.

Tjeerdsma then started talking about the Bearcat paw and what it means to players, alumni and himself. It was at that point he came close to tears. It was easy to see how much Northwest means to him.
"The paw says it all about what we are about," Tjeerdsma said.

Tjeerdsma thanked a lot of people, his wife, his coaching staff and all the players who made his 17 years at Northwest so special.
"Most of all, I thank God for putting me where I'm at," Tjeerdsma said.

Of course, returning football players wish his time was three or four years down the road. He gave them so many of life's lessons.
"There are so many things," said former Northwest quarterback Joel Osborn, who is now a graduate assistant coach on the team. "His biggest thing is he understands people and knows how to motivate. He takes time to develop a relationship with you no matter if you are the starter or the back up."

Loyal Northwest fans wished the time would never come. How could you blame them? Whenever something special comes to an end, there is one song that always pops into my mind and makes it OK. It's the title song of the late former Beatle George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass."
Harrison initially started writing this song in the last year of the Beatles. He finished it for his first solo album after the Beatles broke up.
The opening verse:
Sunrise doesn't last all morning
A cloudburst doesn't last all day
Seems my love is up, and has left you with no warning
But it's not always going to be this gray
All things must pass, all things must pass away

No matter how wonderful something is, a time comes when it ends and you must carry on instead of wallowing in sadness.
The press conference was a time of celebration. Northwest president Dr. John Jasinski made that clear.

"Like Dr. Jasinski said, it's a day of appreciation and a day to celebrate the fact we were part of coach T's life for so many years. We were blessed to be touched by him," Osborn said.

Tjeerdsma reached the pinnacle of success at the Division II level. He leaves on his own terms and now he gets to spend time with his children and grandchildren, who are so dear to him.

Very few coaches at the collegiate or professional level get to depart on their terms.
"The cool thing is he's doing all this on his own and you don't see it that often," Northwest defensive coordinator Scott Bostwick said. "It's an awesome ending. You don't see it that often."

Tjeerdsma leaves behind unparallel success at the NCAA Division II level. It has been so wonderful that this season looked like a failure to some because the Bearcats came one game short of reaching an unfathomable sixth straight appearance in the Division II championship game.

All the Bearcats accomplished this year was extend their MIAA winning streak to 46 games, claim a fifth straight undefeated conference title and lose because of one play in the fourth quarter to eventual national champions Minnesota Duluth.

By any other standards, Northwest had a remarkable, unforgettable season, one which most teams in the MIAA only dream about during the hot summer camps in mid August.

For 17 years, the Bearcats and their fans have been living an unbelievable dream.

Even in Tjeerdsma's first season, when Northwest went 0-11, the signs were positive. Tjeerdsma spent that initial year cleaning up the image of the football program.

The people of Maryville noticed.
Winning quickly followed. Northwest won six games in Tjeerdsma's second season and reached the playoffs in his third in 1996.

Two years later, Tjeerdsma guided the Bearcats to a perfect 15-0 season and a national championship.
The Bearcats followed that with a remarkable four-overtime victory in the championship game in 1999.

College football fans at all levels talked about that game for weeks. It was indeed an instant classic and a game I will never forget.

If Tjeerdsma would have accomplished nothing else after 1999, he would have gone down as one of the best ever to coach in the MIAA.

But there was much more left. Northwest won conference titles and still made it to the playoffs.

And then came 2005 when the Bearcats made the playoffs as a six seed. They won four straight road games and made it to the title game and came one play away from winning their third title.

Perhaps the most remarkable achievement by Tjeerdsma was how he got his team up each season after heartbreaking losses in the title game.
Northwest lost four straight championship games before winning in 2009.
It's extremely hard to reach the championship game under the best circumstances, but to find the will after those wrenching losses was amazing.

As great as Tjeerdsma was in getting his teams to win so many games, it's his character and the character he instilled in so many of his players that will leave a lasting imprint on people.
"We talked about his leadership with integrity," Jasinski said. "The beauty of the man is his feet have been on the ground."

Tjeerdsma treats everybody with respect. I never once saw him put himself on a pedestal because he was a highly successful coach.
"John's statement put it right on the button," Bostwick said. "He's so grounded. There is no ego in the man. That's what makes him special and why I hung around him for 17 years."

Truthfully, the Tjeerdsma I interviewed in 1996 was the same as the one I interviewed this season.

The best thing you can say about Mel Tjeerdsma is he is a good family man. His program was successful because he treated it like a family.
Personally, I would love to see him stick around another 5 to 10 years. His teams and players gave many wonderful stories to write. This year was no exception.

At the same time, I'm happy for him. He gets to spend more time fishing, being with his family and enjoying life without the pressure of trying to win one more championship.

For anybody who has been involved in the Northwest football program, I think it is fair to say that our lives are a little richer because of Tjeerdsma.
Savor the memories but move to the next chapter in Northwest football with the same enthusiasm and energy. It's definitely what Tjeerdsma wants. He's a person who preaches live in the present and leave the past behind.

However, no matter what the future brings in Northwest football, Coach T will be missed.

It looks like Missouri Western coach Jerry Partridge got his wish when he talked about what it will take to beat Northwest after a tough playoff loss in November.
"Put him out to pasture," Partridge surmised.
Well, Tjeerdsma is really not out to pasture like an old horse ready for a glue factory.

Tjeerdsma has a lot of living left and he's going to enjoy it with his family. How can you be anything but happy for him? He's moving to the next phase of his life.
"I trust God will continue to guide my life," Tjeerdsma said.

I am super sad.

Reaper16
12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5966233

Best coach in all of Division II. Retiring as the best is something that few people ever get to experience.

Defensive Coordinator Scott Bostwick is the favorite to become Northwest's next head football coach, but nothing has been formally said. Details are forthcoming wrt the coaching staff changes.

Bearcat2005
12-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the memories coach.

|Zach|
12-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Bummer

Bowser
12-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Going out on top. It's what all of us dream of.

Arrowhead Nation
12-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Now that Broyles and Mel are done, time for UCM to take the spot at the top of the MIAA. I always said that once those two were out, the Mules would be up there. It almost happened in Mel's final season.

Today is a good day for every other MIAA team.

Reaper16
12-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Now that Broyles and Mel are done, time for UCM to take the spot at the top of the MIAA. I always said that once those two were out, the Mules would be up there. It almost happened in Mel's final season.

Today is a good day for every other MIAA team.
Of course, it took a Bearcat or two (HC Svoboda and QB coach Josh Lamberson) to get the Mules to where they are now. ;)

CoMoChief
12-29-2010, 01:00 PM
NWMSU's offensive coord went down and snagged the HC job at CMSU this past season, and they did pretty well.

Wonder if he'll get the job now at NWMSU?

Bill Lundberg
12-29-2010, 01:00 PM
I remember when he got to Northwest. My freshman year we were 0-11, my senior year we won our first national championship. Hard to believe it was 17 years ago. I'm old.

Thanks for the memories Mel - you hold a special place in the hearts of Bearcats everywhere.

Extra Point
12-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Now, that's a coach!

Reaper16
12-29-2010, 01:06 PM
NWMSU's offensive coord went down and snagged the HC job at CMSU this past season, and they did pretty well.

Wonder if he'll get the job now at NWMSU?
It's a possibility, but I honestly don't think that Svoboda would go for that. 1.) It'd be a complete dick move to block Scott Bostwick like that, but more importantly 2.) Svoboda can make a name for himself at UCM rather than get perceived as carrying on Mel's legacy. Svoboda will not be UCM's coach forever, he will be going FCS or even BCS within five years, IMO.

chiefsnorth
12-29-2010, 01:07 PM
What a sick won loss record!

Reaper16
12-29-2010, 01:10 PM
What a sick won loss record!
And that's with going winless in his first season at Northwest!

Iowanian
12-29-2010, 01:38 PM
I took a fundamentals of coaching football class with him his first year at NWMSU. He was a pretty nice guy, and told us outright how he was going to get the program turned around.

It's not an exact quote, but pretty close
"how are you going to turn this program around"
"I'm going to Texas and get some juco thugs and get some wins next year and recruiting will get easier and so will winning."
He also talked about recruiting kids with D1 talent, but issues like A QB with a couple of knee injuries...

His plan worked pretty damn well.

Demonpenz
12-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Missouri Western State.....The Training camp home of the AFC West Champions.

Demonpenz
12-29-2010, 01:47 PM
This leaves an opening for Rolla to steal DII

1ChiefsDan
12-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Great coach. Glad to see him leave. Time for PSU to retake the top spot in the MIAA.

Arrowhead Nation
12-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Great coach. Glad to see him leave. Time for PSU to retake the top spot in the MIAA.

You all have a myriad of your own issues, including going 8-12 in your last 20 games.

The schools to benefit most from this are UCM, and possibly Western. UCM only had 2 D2 losses this season while making the final 8, and both were to NW.

Molitoth
12-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Beast of a coach!

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Congratulations, Coach, on a hell of a career.

Wish I could say I'm sad to see you retire, but you and your teams have been a thorn in UCM's side for too, too, long.

I do hope you have a great time in retirement. You've earned it.

With Grudging respect,

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan

Bearcat2005
12-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I hear Scott Bostwick will be offered the job.

ChiefsCountry
12-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Well its time for Central to put all the potential they have and finally take the top spot in the MIAA.

jbwm89
12-29-2010, 04:47 PM
I took a fundamentals of coaching football class with him his first year at NWMSU. He was a pretty nice guy, and told us outright how he was going to get the program turned around.

It's not an exact quote, but pretty close
"how are you going to turn this program around"
"I'm going to Texas and get some juco thugs and get some wins next year and recruiting will get easier and so will winning."
He also talked about recruiting kids with D1 talent, but issues like A QB with a couple of knee injuries...

His plan worked pretty damn well.

Hell of a coach.

Fundamentals of coaching football? Is that really a class at NW?

Iowanian
12-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Hell of a coach.

Fundamentals of coaching football? Is that really a class at NW?

Yes. It was one of 4 classes I took for a coaching endorsement.
It was a very good class actually. There were a couple of football players in there, but mostly people wanting the endorsement. We had to scout HS games and things like that as part of it. A lot of fun.

The Bunk
12-29-2010, 06:43 PM

I'm pretty sure that was Greisen. If I remember correctly, he was going to Wisconsin but tore up his knee his senior year of high school, which is how he ended up at NW.

I was at the '99 game. I've never seen anything like it, and can't imagine I will ever will again.

Thanks for the memories Coach T. NW is the only one of my teams that has ever won anything in my lifetime.

Shogun
12-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Wow. Wish him luck what a coach.