PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What was the "Super Bowl" for the Chiefs in 2010?

AllThingsKC
12-30-2010, 12:12 AM
After a 4-12 season, followed by a 2-14 season, followed by a 4-12 season, I wasn't expecting much for the Chiefs this year. At the start of the year, I thought to myself, "if they could just somehow manage to get 5 wins, that would be an improvement and I'd be the happiest Chiefs fan on the planet."

At first, I thought the Chiefs had their "Super Bowl" of the season when they moved their training camp to St. Joseph. I was so glad they moved it close to home! That was my first ever visit to an NFL training camp and it was a lot of fun. Since I wasn't expecting the Chiefs to do well, I enjoyed every minute of it thinking, "Surely this is their Super Bowl."

Then the Pre-Season came and the Chiefs started 0-3, and won their last Pre-Season game. It was the first victory in the new Arrowhead. I know it was just the pre-season, but the first victory in a new stadium is something to celebrate! I thought, "how could the season get any better than this? Surely, this is our Super Bowl." And I was happy with that.

Then we had the Monday Night Game in the new Arrowhead against San Diego. I remember thinking, "if the Chiefs can just manage to score a touchdown against the defending 4-time AFC West Champs, I'll be happy." But they actually managed to take the lead. On San Diego's last down of the game, I remember wishing they'd miss. And they did. And just like that, the Chiefs won...their first game...in the new Arrowhead...on Monday Night Football...against a division opponent...and was in 1st place in the AFC West.

I remember how excited I was that I could enjoy the Chiefs being in first place for a whole week! And I thought, "Surely that was our Super Bowl." And I was happy with that.

Then the Chiefs started out 3-0 and were the last undefeated team in the NFL. Overjoyed, I thought, "Surely this is our Super Bowl." And I was happy with that.

I remember the first loss of the season. It was to Indy. But the Chiefs were in the game up until the last 5 minutes or so. I was so happy the Chiefs were 3-1 and almost - almost beat Indy! I thought that was our Super Bowl and I was happy with that (despite the loss).

Then the Chiefs got win #5 and officially improved over the last 3 seasons. Were the Chiefs for real? I wasn't sure. I was just overjoyed to the see some improvement, it didn't matter to me if the Chiefs finished 5-11. They improved their record! That had to be our Super Bowl, right? And, I was happy with it.

As the season went on, the Chiefs got closer and closer to competing for a playoff spot. REALLY? I'm in Heaven now, right? The Chiefs are in a playoff race? How could the season get any better than this? This was our Super Bowl! And I was happy with it, even if they did make the playoffs.

And last Sunday, a funny thing happened. The Chiefs won, the Chargers lost, and the Chiefs won the AFC West! WHAT??!??!?!?!?!?!?! A PLAYOFF GAME AT ARROWHEAD (where the Chiefs are currently undefeated)?!?!?!?! How can this be? The NFL experts kept saying all season long that the Chargers would win the division because of the awesome Decembers they always have.

On Monday, I was among the first in line at Arrowhead for my playoff tickets! This will be my first ever playoff game, and my first Chiefs game in 10 years.

Is this our Super Bowl? Is it possible for the season to get even better? I don't know. But, I know no matter what happens, even if the Chiefs lose to Oakland and lose their first playoff game, I'll be happy (though, not about the losses). I'll be proud of what the Chiefs have done this season no matter what happens. I will wear my Chiefs jerseys during the off season in support! And we have a real hope for years to come.

And to think I was happy with the season when they moved the training camp to St. Joe...

Rock on, Chiefs! :arrow:

jettio
12-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Sounds like you have a future writing chain e-mails.

Great debut post.

Keep the positive vibes going.

I think the Chiefs' pinnacle this season will be a first round playoff win and a strong showing in their 2nd playoff game that they might win.

Hammock Parties
12-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Our Super Bowl will be the last game we win. It will be the height of Chiefs football since 1969.

AllThingsKC
12-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Sounds like you have a future writing chain e-mails.

Sorry. I didn't mean to make that post as long as it was, it just kind of worked out that way.

Oh, and it wasn't my debut post. That was actually my second post. My debut post was in 2006 (and it was about the Royals at that!). :LOL:

Mojo Jojo
12-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Our Super Bowl will be the last game we win. It will be the height of Chiefs football since 1969.

Actually that should be Jan. 11th 1970.

Hammock Parties
12-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Actually that should be Jan. 11th 1970.

http://watchedpots.com/uploaded_images/room_care-787245.jpg

FAX
12-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Dang, man. You sure are happy a lot.

Are you an alien?

FAX

AllThingsKC
12-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Dang, man. You sure are happy a lot.

Are you an alien?

Happy? No. Desperate? Yes. After the past 3 seasons, I was desperate for ANY positive news coming from the Chiefs. And the happy has kept coming all season long.

Bob Dole
12-30-2010, 02:20 AM

Your and idiot

HMc
12-30-2010, 05:11 AM
and my first Chiefs game in 10 years.

heh, fairweather friend

Extra Point
12-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Good read, AllThingsKC. Maybe this wild card team will have the same success as the Chiefs wild card team that won the SB in '70.

Rausch
12-30-2010, 08:56 AM
We better play our asses off this year because I wake up in cold sweats thinking about improving enough to have a playoff competitive team next year and then there's a strike...

jettio
12-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Sorry. I didn't mean to make that post as long as it was, it just kind of worked out that way.

Oh, and it wasn't my debut post. That was actually my second post. My debut post was in 2006 (and it was about the Royals at that!). :LOL:

Did you use "World Series" in that post?

MOhillbilly
12-30-2010, 09:09 AM
We better play our asses off this year because I wake up in cold sweats thinking about improving enough to have a playoff competitive team next year and then there's a strike...

fuckin bullshit fans even have to think about it.

ArrowheadHawk
12-30-2010, 09:16 AM
The only thing odd about this is that you were first in line for tickets meaning you are a Jackson County resident yet you haven't been to a game in 10 years. Some fan you are.

runnercyclist
12-30-2010, 09:41 AM
February 06, 2011 Dallas, TX vs The Falcoons where we win on a Cassell to Moeaki TD pass with no time remaining.

AllThingsKC
12-30-2010, 10:55 AM
heh, fairweather friend

So, the Chiefs haven't had any winning seasons in 10 years? I'm not a fairweather fan, I'm just a cheap one. If you can't afford to go the games, then you can't go to the game. Though, I would never turn down free tickets.

The only thing odd about this is that you were first in line for tickets meaning you are a Jackson County resident yet you haven't been to a game in 10 years. Some fan you are.

Thank you for your quick judgement of me. Are we not in a bad economy? Isn't possible that perhaps some people can't afford to go the games but still love & support the team as much as they can in other areas? Or, is it just that all low income people are bad fans and only the season ticket holders are the real, true, die-hard fans? Since you seem quick to judge, please tell me how that works so I know.

I'm glad that I now have a little money saved and I can now finally, not only afford some tickets, but buy playoff tickets. I even bought a few extra tickets that I am going to give to people just like me (who love the Chiefs, but don't have the means to go). I guess I'm a really bad fan, huh?

Pasta Little Brioni
12-30-2010, 12:26 PM
5 wins would have been awful and would not have been a good sign for the future. I was hoping for 9 with good coaching and for the young talent to develop to thier potential. They exceeded expectations.

Ming the Merciless
12-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Its cool, theres plenty of room on the bandwagon.

If we win a playoff game, the wagon will become even more full of fairweathers.

Welcome aboard, brah.

http://whatconsumesme.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/bandwagon.jpg

DJ's left nut
12-30-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm looking forward to the playoffs.

However, I just cannot see them matching the energy of opening night against the Chargers.

It was truly amazing. I've been to a bunch of games now, including the Marty era when the fans were at their most rabid. I can never recall seeing Arrowhead in that kind of froth.

The return to Monday night, the new stadium, the night game after a day Royals game giving everyone a chance to lube up - it was simply electric. Unless we win the Super Bowl, that is going to be the highlight of the season for me because it was a stark reminder of what once was and what could be again.