PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs slowly restoring Arrowhead atmosphere

Bob Dole
12-31-2010, 01:08 AM
Link (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/30/2551889_chiefs-slowly-restoring-arrowhead.html?storylink=omni_popular)

Todd Haley didn’t just hear about how Arrowhead Stadium used to be. Heck, he experienced it. It was loud and cranky, and if you were wearing some other team’s colors, Sunday couldn’t end soon enough.

That was at the end of the 1990s, maybe the Chiefs’ best decade. Kansas City was hungry for a championship, and when it didn’t happen, that made Arrowhead an even more rowdy venue.

“A scary place to come to,” said Haley, who was an assistant for the New York Jets in the late ’90s, “and try to feel like you could win a game.”

Then, of course, things changed. Another decade set in, and at its close, the Chiefs’ chances of a Super Bowl turned sour. Arrowhead emptied. Fans stayed home. Once one of America’s fiercest atmospheres, Kansas City’s football stadium became little more than just another stop on opponents’ schedules.

This season, things turned again. Change can happen fast in the NFL, and a year after Kansas City went 1-7 in its home stadium, the Chiefs are 7-0 with a chance to be one of two teams — New England also is unbeaten at home — to win all of its regular-season home games.

At the team’s practice facility this week, players and coaches were reluctant to suggest that Arrowhead was back. Heading in the right direction, maybe, but still not what it once was.

“A taste of that,” linebacker Derrick Johnson said. “Hopefully there will be more.”

Chiefs games have been unusual this season. The team is 10-5 and has clinched the AFC West championship with a game to go. Running back Jamaal Charles is one of the league’s most spectacular players, and Romeo Crennel’s defense has kept Kansas City in most games. But it’s clear that, perhaps for many reasons, skepticism remains. The Arrowhead advantage might be back, but not all fans are. There have been thousands of empty seats at most home games, mostly in the team’s high-dollar club level. Last week’s contest against Tennessee was in danger of falling short of a sellout — which could’ve led to the team’s second television blackout in two decades.

The team said Thursday that this week’s regular-season finale against Oakland would be televised but that not all club seats had been sold.

Haley admitted that, when he took the job early last year, he knew it would take time to restore Arrowhead into that intimidating venue from years ago. He knew fans might not immediately come back after three years of disappointment. But Haley said he remains optimistic that, in time, fans will return.

“Something that we’ve talked about from day one: getting our fans back,” Haley said. “We knew that that’s going to take some work, and they had a reason to have gone away, because … the team being put out there wasn’t a lot of fun to watch a lot of times.”

The Chiefs started winning this season, and occasionally it felt like the old days again. That Monday night game to start the season was packed, and the people inside were loud and cranky. But even after the team’s best start in seven years, the enthusiasm was muffled after a few weeks.

But one thing didn’t change: the Chiefs’ comfort in their home stadium. Haley moved Friday practices to Arrowhead to further enhance that comfort — studying where you take the test, Haley has called it — and, sure enough, the Chiefs keep winning there.

It might not be perfect, but Kansas City again possesses a home-field advantage.

“It’s really critical,” Haley said, “if you want to be a good team, year in and year out, and a team that has a chance to play in big games.”

Fullback Tim Castille said this week that, if for no other reason, maintaining that feeling of invincibility at Arrowhead is enough to treat Sunday’s game with importance. He said a half-effort could carry into the following week, when the Chiefs will host their first playoff game since 2003.

“We can’t afford to come out and lay an egg,” Castille said.

Haley said the Chiefs aren’t lacking in motivation, and although some skepticism remains at Arrowhead, the coach said his team is doing its part to convince Kansas City that the home-field advantage is real — and that it’s coming back.

“I was really impressed with our fans from day one,” he said, “because even though the stadium was, at times, not fun, you said to yourself, ‘Boy, if we could get everybody in here, it would get really loud.’

“That’s kind of what’s happened. I understood that task clearly. We had to do our part, and I feel like we’re doing some of that.”

CoMoChief
12-31-2010, 01:31 AM
Seeing the gold level that empty is ****ing depressing.

But, times are hard on a lot of people financially speaking, and there's HDTV in the comfort of your own home when Arrowhead serves $7 hamburgers and $8 beers.

Personally I don't see Arrowhead ever going back to the way it was in the 90's. People now would just rather stay home and watch the game because it's cheaper.

I forgot who it was, but someone predicted that eventually, pro football may just play in a studio and would just be televised without playing in front of a live crowd at a stadium and everyone would have to pay like a Sunday Ticket kinda thing to be able to watch the games. It was an interesting read....personally I don't ever see that happening in my lifetime, but hey u never know.

Jive Ass
12-31-2010, 01:58 AM
I think the most positive aspect of this article is the humility with which Haley and all of the players speak. No one seems too cocky, and no matter what, this last game is important. It's important for team, fan, and coaching morale. If we lose, it's going to be a disappointing (especially since we would be 0-2 against Oakland).

I'm glad that our "stage presence" is on the mend, and I'm ready for successive years of hard playing and humility to challenge that presence to grow and grow.

KChiefs1
12-31-2010, 02:57 AM
I forgot who it was, but someone predicted that eventually, pro football may just play in a studio and would just be televised without playing in front of a live crowd at a stadium and everyone would have to pay like a Sunday Ticket kinda thing to be able to watch the games. It was an interesting read....personally I don't ever see that happening in my lifetime, but hey u never know.

Rollerball.

Direckshun
12-31-2010, 03:01 AM
I think the obvious factor is the ticket sales and parking cost doubling over the past 20 years.

Cut all that down, and you'll get stellar attendance. Probably make more money, too.

cdcox
12-31-2010, 03:12 AM
the 1990s, maybe the Chiefs’ best decade.

You're kidding, right?

suzzer99
12-31-2010, 08:15 AM
My uncle had club level season tickets for 20 years until they told him the were jacking up the price x4. Not hard to figure out what happened to club level or the arrowhead atmosphere. I hope they find a way to bring it back.

Spott
12-31-2010, 08:23 AM
I don' know what the ticket prices are now in KC because I haven't live there since 99, but my upper level tickets on the sidelines(about the 5 yard line) were 26 dollars when I had season tickets in between 94-96 and eventually went to 33 dollars by the end of the 90's. I remember bitching about paying 10 bucks to park back then, but I bet it's a lot higher now. I don't blame people for not paying hundreds of dollars for a ticket considering that you probably pay that same amount one time and get the Sunday ticket and watch all the games on your big screen.

RockChalk
12-31-2010, 09:03 AM
I don' know what the ticket prices are now in KC because I haven't live there since 99, but my upper level tickets on the sidelines(about the 5 yard line) were 26 dollars when I had season tickets in between 94-96 and eventually went to 33 dollars by the end of the 90's. I remember bitching about paying 10 bucks to park back then, but I bet it's a lot higher now. I don't blame people for not paying hundreds of dollars for a ticket considering that you probably pay that same amount one time and get the Sunday ticket and watch all the games on your big screen.

It's $25 now. Or somewhere close to it. I've had passes to the 3 games I've attended this season.

REDHOTGTO
12-31-2010, 09:12 AM
i quit in 2006, it was just not worth the 3hr drive anymore. 22.00 to park, 63.00 a seat, 4.00 gas @ 15mpg, plus food & beer? i stay home .

LaChapelle
12-31-2010, 09:17 AM
They may bring back the pissing troughs for Marty's ceremony
so fans can give those drunk oboxious Raider fans an Arrowhead baptism

DaFace
12-31-2010, 09:37 AM
But one thing didn’t change: the Chiefs’ comfort in their home stadium. Haley moved Friday practices to Arrowhead to further enhance that comfort — studying where you take the test, Haley has called it — and, sure enough, the Chiefs keep winning there.

This may be my favorite tidbit from the article. I can't remember what it's called, but I remember learning about this idea in a psych class way back when. You tend to perform better when you study in the venue in which the the test will be given. It makes perfect sense that they practice in Arrowhead before games.

There are lots of little, seemingly insignificant, things that Haley does that I just love. The 4th down philosophy, dividing the season into quarters, practicing in Arrowhead are immediately top of mind. Either he or someone he is close to is a reader and puts what he learns into practice.

ReynardMuldrake
12-31-2010, 09:40 AM
This may be my favorite tidbit from the article. I can't remember what it's called, but I remember learning about this idea in a psych class way back when. You tend to perform better when you study in the venue in which the the test will be given. It makes perfect sense that they practice in Arrowhead before games.

There are lots of little, seemingly insignificant, things that Haley does that I just love. The 4th down philosophy, dividing the season into quarters, practicing in Arrowhead are immediately top of mind. Either he or someone he is close to is a reader and puts what he learns into practice.
He's just a good coach, all-around. Plus he knows how to delegate authority correctly. It's a very useful skill that a lot of other HC's suck at.

BigRedChief
12-31-2010, 10:02 AM
He's just a good coach, all-around. Plus he knows how to delegate authority correctly. It's a very useful skill that a lot of other HC's suck at.He was 12 years old watching film with his Dad explaining how this college kid called Lynn Swann was going to be a good WR in the NFL. Can you imagine being there as a kid watching the one of the greatest string of draft picks in NFL draft picks occur?

RockChalk
12-31-2010, 10:08 AM
dividing the season into quarters

Think he'll have a 5th quarter for the playoffs? I think I could handle going 4-0 in that one. :thumb:

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Haley is awesome. Period.

DJJasonp
12-31-2010, 11:50 AM
You know...raising the club level seats in kansas city....to compete with pricing at other, larger-market cities - is retarded.

KC doesnt have the corporate demographic (neither revenue or population) that other larger market cities have.

In addition, they raised the prices significantly in the club section - at a time where the economy was forcing tons of companies to lay people off to survive.

Chiefs club level seats become expendable at that point.

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2010, 11:55 AM
You're kidding, right?

At the box office only. The Star can't be that stupid, can they?

Stram fan
12-31-2010, 03:32 PM
You know...raising the club level seats in kansas city....to compete with pricing at other, larger-market cities - is retarded.

KC doesnt have the corporate demographic (neither revenue or population) that other larger market cities have.

In addition, they raised the prices significantly in the club section - at a time where the economy was forcing tons of companies to lay people off to survive.

Even in NY, the club type tickets are not being sold. Only our upper deck has no PSL fees, and it's always full. PSL's can run up to $25,000 a seat. That only gets you Jets games, not Giants games which have their own PSL. Tickets run up to $500 each. A mid level second deck ticket runs $250 a seat at the 50. That doesn't count the $10,000 per seast PSL.

These prices are off the top of my head, if anything, they are low guesstimates. Half of the people in those PSL seats don't know the difference between a punter or a QB, but they know a Porche vs a Lamborgini.

We have no home field advantage. You think the prices are high here, it's NOTHING compared to NY. they did miscalculate though, they still have a ton of PSL's for sale and they lowered some prices. They had to, they weren't selling.The rich folk aren't going to sit in the freezing cold in December. Only use lowly fans do that.

I have no plans to go to a game ever again. I don't have $1000 of chump change to blow on one NFL football game.

Raiderhater
12-31-2010, 03:54 PM

KC doesnt have the corporate demographic (neither erevenue or population) that other larger market cities have.

It has been 8 years since I lived in KC, but at that time JoCo was the 4th most afluent county in the nation. Obviously a lot can change in a decade, and a lot has, but money didn't use to be an issue in that market.

MahiMike
12-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Seeing the gold level that empty is ****ing depressing.

But, times are hard on a lot of people financially speaking, and there's HDTV in the comfort of your own home when Arrowhead serves $7 hamburgers and $8 beers.

Personally I don't see Arrowhead ever going back to the way it was in the 90's. People now would just rather stay home and watch the game because it's cheaper.

Not sure if it'll come to that but I do think the teams are now overpriced. TV has changed a lot since the NFL started. Having games just about every day of the week doesn't help. It used to be special. Now it just shows in the background of many bars w/little interest.

Oh Snap
12-31-2010, 05:21 PM
You're kidding, right?

In terms of wins, yea...we won over 100 games that decade...1 of only 3 teams to do so.

And from what ive been told... the reason why club level seating is so bare has more to do with fans going into the sweets, or staying inside than it does tickets not being sold.

LocoChiefsFan
12-31-2010, 05:24 PM
I think the obvious factor is the ticket sales and parking cost doubling over the past 20 years.

Cut all that down, and you'll get stellar attendance. Probably make more money, too.

THIS!
I don't understand why parking has to be so high. Also, the club seats need to come down quite a bit in price as well.

Bearcat
12-31-2010, 05:27 PM
In terms of wins, yea...we won over 100 games that decade...1 of only 3 teams to do so.

And from what ive been told... the reason why club level seating is so bare has more to do with fans going into the sweets, or staying inside than it does tickets not being sold.

I'm sure part of it is that they are going inside to snack, but every ticket in the upper and lower level has been sold for the playoff game and you can still buy 10 together in Club...

Section
Row
Seats
Description
9 - 18
Price Level 2
CLUB LEVEL
HOME TEAM BENCH SIDE
Type
All Tickets
Price
US $295.50 x 10
Price Details
SUBTOTAL*
US $2,955.00

Hammock Parties
12-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Restoring the atmosphere?

Chiefs fans during Herm's tenure:

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/total-recall/1.gif

kstater
12-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Think he'll have a 5th quarter for the playoffs? I think I could handle going 4-0 in that one. :thumb:

Overtime

Smed1065
12-31-2010, 07:12 PM
Just sad we had to restore it. IMHO

Smed1065
12-31-2010, 07:13 PM
I mean we have ice skating and BB in the winter-

:harumph:

Bob Dole
12-31-2010, 07:52 PM
THIS!
I don't understand why parking has to be so high. Also, the club seats need to come down quite a bit in price as well.

Lot Nazis don't work for free.