PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb:McCluster's promise remains unfulfilled

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2011, 03:48 AM
McCluster's promise remains unfulfilled (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/31/2553747/mcclusters-promise-remains-unfulfilled.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

The explanation is simple, really. Dexter McCluster isn’t fully healthy, and that’s why his big plays — the ones the Chiefs envisioned when they drafted him in the second round and the ones legitimized when he broke a 94-yard punt return in his first regular-season game — have dried up.

Yes, that explains it. McCluster, the shifty little playmaker, suffered a high-ankle sprain earlier this season and missed five consecutive games. He returned four weeks ago, but coach Todd Haley said this week that McCluster isn’t yet 100 percent — and that’s why this rookie hasn’t produced a play of at least 20 yards since Oct. 17.

“It’s not good,” Haley said, “for those little sports cars to need tune-ups.”

The problem is that McCluster said this week that he’s not injured. Nope, not at all. The ankle, he said, is fine — and so is the rest of him.

“I’m definitely healthy. I’m good to go,” he said. “The big plays, they’re not coming, but that’s still not going to affect me. I’m going to go out, I’m going to block the guy that I have to block, and try to make a play when I can make a play. I’m very patient.”

Not everyone is so patient.

The only problem with starting your career with a high-impact, memorable play — there’s an oversized photograph in a hallway of the Chiefs’ practice facility of McCluster jumping into offensive lineman Branden Albert’s arms after his franchise-record punt return for a touchdown — is that you’re expected to repeat it.

When McCluster didn’t immediately stack another big play on top of his return, observers sighed. When he went several games without another dazzling gain, outsiders grew antsy. When he was injured and then went a dozen weeks without breaking 50 yards receiving or 30 yards rushing, fans began to groan.

Through 10 games, McCluster has 194 yards receiving and 71 yards rushing. He hasn’t had a kick return of at least 30 yards since October. Those aren’t the kinds of numbers the Chiefs had in mind when they drafted him, and those are hardly the statistics fans foresaw when McCluster emerged as one of the team’s most spectacular players during training camp and then followed that with his regular-season debut, after which he was selected the AFC’s special-teams player of the week.

“You can only do what they are capable of doing,” Haley said, again alluding to McCluster’s injury. “Guys that rely on speed and quickness, they need to be fast and quick.”

The Chiefs prefer players who shake off injuries and, even if pain remains, to ignore it when asked. Perhaps that’s why the 170-pound rookie returned when he did, and Haley admitted this week that McCluster might have come back earlier than he should have.

“It’s actually been impressive that he’s been out there as much as he has,” said the Chiefs head coach, who wouldn’t discuss specifics of McCluster’s health. “The good thing is, he’s getting a lot closer to 100 percent.”

Which could mean good things for the Chiefs, if McCluster’s only obstacle truly is his health and not a more worrisome concern: that McCluster isn’t the playmaker Kansas City hoped he’d be.

For his part, McCluster says he believes he’s in a slump, and that he’ll soon break out of it. The Chiefs sure could use him, especially when they begin the playoffs next week.

In the meantime, McCluster said, he will continue doing the grunt work that wasn’t part of his original profile, but is another one of those things the Chiefs require of players — the same as shaking off injuries.

“I know it’s going to come to me,” he said. “It can be frustrating, but you have to see the big picture. You’ve got to be a team player. If you’re not making the plays, you’ve got to block for somebody else to make a play or go out and contribute any way you can. I’m very patient. When it comes, it’s going to come big. Until then, I’m going to keep working.”

RAIDERS AT CHIEFS
•WHEN/WHERE: Noon Sunday at Arrowhead

Hammock Parties
01-01-2011, 03:52 AM
make plays midget

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-01-2011, 04:16 AM
make plays midget

Hatah!

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2011, 04:23 AM
make plays midget

he's more of a garden gnome than a midget

HoneyBadger
01-01-2011, 05:47 AM
Too bad he has been a disappointment this season, after starting so well.

LaChapelle
01-01-2011, 09:01 AM
It's not like he hasn't show the ability to make plays out of the backfield
It's as a WR/and that's where he is needed that he isn't getting the job done
It's hard to say on Special Teams because Arenas should be lighting it up also

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I predict he'll be this years SuperBowl MVP. He IS a playmaker and he is due to make some plays.

DBOSHO
01-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Perhaps we've used him as a decoy all year and he'll rape the raiders

Gonzo
01-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Even before his injury he looked hesitant. He danced around too much, trying to make things happen. Just pick a fucking lane and go, dude. It'll eventually open up.
Posted via Mobile Device

MahiMike
01-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I think it's part of Haley's plan. They've been setting up the big play for the playoffs. Every time he does the end-around fake, hand off up the middle, I wondered why they didn't stay w/the end-around to McCluster.

It's coming...

You'll see him catch some balls as WR too.

Demonpenz
01-01-2011, 10:52 AM
He needs to make 1 cut and GO. Too much dancing... watch Devin Hester.

cabletech94
01-01-2011, 10:52 AM
just holding him back for THE playoff run.

go chiefs!!!!

Red Brooklyn
01-01-2011, 11:52 AM
His injury is the only thing about the guy that has disappointed me this season. He's solid.

ReynardMuldrake
01-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Well if it wasn't for stupid holding penalties he would have a lot more yards! :cuss::cuss:

bevischief
01-01-2011, 02:00 PM
make plays midget

This!

Just Passin' By
01-01-2011, 03:05 PM
http://turbo.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2009/11/stop-the-press.png

Do you seriously mean to tell me that there's a rookie in the NFL who hasn't put it all together yet? Why, this can't be!

chiefzilla1501
01-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Well if it wasn't for stupid holding penalties he would have a lot more yards! :cuss::cuss:

Since he's returned, he had a 50+ yard run against Denver get called back by a BS hold call that didn't even affect the run, had a potential 80-yard(ish) punt return stopped short because Donald Washington stupidly got in his way, and had a potential big play against Tennessee stopped because the ref incorrectly ruled his knee down.

He has a long way to go to live up to the pick, but to say he hasn't broken anything off is inaccurate. He's been hit with dumb luck that's wiped out over 100 yards.

Kraus
01-01-2011, 03:24 PM
He had a pretty good run against Denver that was called back because of a phantom holding call.

Micjones
01-01-2011, 03:26 PM
He's had a few big plays nullified due to penalties.

I'm not worried about the kid.
His rookie season is ALOT like the one Jamaal Charles had.

Jamaal Charles:
357 Rushing Yards
272 Receiving Yards, 1 TD
321 Kick Return Yards
================
950 All Purpose Yards, 1 TD
At least 3 plays of 30+ yards

Dexter McCluster:
194 Receiving Yards, 1 TD
71 Rushing Yards
202 Punt Return Yards, 1 TD
449 Kick Return Yards
=================
916 All Purpose Yards, 2 TD's
At least 4 plays of 30+ yards

Bear in mind that Charles played in 16 games that season.
McCluster's only seen action in 10 this year.

It takes time for players like DMC to adjust to the NFL. You have to learn HOW to utilize your speed to be dangerous. It's not like college. You can't just outrun everybody. Being dangerous requires good/quick decision-making, good angles and good field vision.

I'm not at all panicked. I've seen enough to believe he can be a big contributor to this football team. I fully expect to see more from him next year. Patience folks...he's a rookie.

beach tribe
01-01-2011, 03:42 PM
He's had a few big plays nullified due to penalties.

I'm not worried about the kid.

Jamaal Charles:
357 Rushing Yards
272 Receiving Yards, 1 TD
321 Kick Return Yards
================
950 All Purpose Yards, 1 TD
At least 3 plays of 30+ yards

Dexter McCluster:
194 Receiving Yards, 1 TD
71 Rushing Yards
202 Punt Return Yards, 1 TD
449 Kick Return Yards
=================
916 All Purpose Yards, 2 TD's
At least 4 plays of 30+ yards

Bear in mind that Charles played in 16 games that season.
McCluster's only seen action in 10 this year.

It takes time for players like DMC to adjust to the NFL. You have to learn HOW to utilize your speed to be dangerous. It's not like college. You can't just outrun everybody. Being dangerous requires good/quick decision-making, good angles and good field vision.

I'm not at all panicked. I've seen enough to believe he can be a big contributor to this football team. I fully expect to see more from him next year. Patience folks...he's a rookie.

Good post MicJ.

Anyone who has read my posts knows that I think CP judges rookies, and even second year players too harshly.
That said, I believe McCluster can be a deadly weapon in this league, but what Haley said is right. The "sports cars", as he referred the McCluster type player as being, have to be in top form, or they're not very effective.
I'm looking at him as objectively as possible, but he has been taking some serious licks on the regular. I really hope he can learn to not take the full brunt of these hits. I just really hope he holds up.

Hammock Parties
01-01-2011, 03:45 PM

This is a terrible comparison, because Charles was not being counted upon to make plays that year. He was a backup and not a part of the regular offensive rotation. McMidget has played a LOT more snaps this year than Charles did as a rookie. Hell, Charles was a third stringer that year.

McClusters rookie year was disappointing by ANY stretch and he has a mountain to climb in year two.

I'm going to set the bar VERY low for next year. 500 yards receiving and I'll be happy.

ReynardMuldrake
01-01-2011, 04:06 PM
This is a terrible comparison, because Charles was not being counted upon to make plays that year. He was a backup and not a part of the regular offensive rotation. McMidget has played a LOT more snaps this year than Charles did as a rookie. Hell, Charles was a third stringer that year.

McClusters rookie year was disappointing by ANY stretch and he has a mountain to climb in year two.

I'm going to set the bar VERY low for next year. 500 yards receiving and I'll be happy.

I don't think he's going to get the consistent production of a good running back, but I think he will still break free often enough that defenses will have to keep tabs on him. He's a feast or famine player that will have a monster game and then disappear for a few.

I predict he will have at least 3-4 long TD runs in 2011. If he can get better at following blockers he will start seeing bigger numbers.

ZootedGranny
01-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Has he had a single carry @ RB since fumbling against Broncos?

Hammock Parties
01-01-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't think he's going to get the consistent production of a good running back

I don't care what he does as a running back.

He needs to produce as a wide receiver.

He's been so god awful this year that I'm already relegating his expectation level next year to "contributor" instead of "playmaker."

threebag
01-01-2011, 04:19 PM
he's more of a garden gnome than a midget

Oh Damn...ouch you got his ass out back. I would still classify him as a lawn jockey.

chiefzilla1501
01-01-2011, 04:24 PM

He's been so god awful this year that I'm already relegating his expectation level next year to "contributor" instead of "playmaker."

He hasn't been horrible this year. Stop being an idiot.

He has 270 all-purpose yards, which is 430 yards in a full season. And one punt return for a TD, not to mention several big plays called back or stopped for the wrong reasons.

Stop overreacting again. He's been disappointing but not even close to horrible.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-01-2011, 04:28 PM
He hasn't been horrible this year. Stop being an idiot.

He has 270 all-purpose yards, which is 430 yards in a full season. And one punt return for a TD, not to mention several big plays called back or stopped for the wrong reasons.

Stop overreacting again. He's been disappointing but not even close to horrible.

This. I can assure you; much crow will be eaten regarding this kid, and sooner rather than later.

ReynardMuldrake
01-01-2011, 04:30 PM

It's not that he's been that bad, it's that the expectations for him have been that high.

He will get better next season. Have patience.

Hammock Parties
01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
He's been disappointing but not even close to horrible.

You're splitting hairs.

And trying to prop up his missed time as some kind of "well if he had been healthy he would have done this!" caveat is ridiculous. The fact he wasn't able to stay on the field is another strike against him.

Anyway, fuck 2010. It's a new year, and I'm giving McCluster another chance. 500 yards shouldn't be too tall a task for a high 2nd round pick drafted by the man behind the curtain.

http://oi51.tinypic.com/sv00fm.jpg

Micjones
01-02-2011, 03:21 AM

Yet Charles had 3 times as many offensive touches (in his rookie season) than McCluster has had this year. McCluster's a backup too. He isn't starting. The only reason he EVER started is because Chambers wasn't giving us anything on the field and we had NOTHING else in the cupboard.

Again, he's a rookie...
Nearly 1,000 all-purpose yards and 2 TD's.
In just 10 games. I'm not going to thumb my nose at that...

Hammock Parties
01-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Yet Charles had 3 times as many offensive touches (in his rookie season) than McCluster has had this year.

That's because McCluster sucks. Charles had 3 times as many touches because he's a freaking RB and ended up starting a game.

McCluster's a backup too. He isn't starting. The only reason he EVER started is because Chambers wasn't giving us anything on the field and we had NOTHING else in the cupboard.

Playing in the slot is a lot closer to starting than being a third-string RB. It's a lot more PT.

McCluster has six starts in 10 games.

Again, he's a rookie...
Nearly 1,000 all-purpose yards and 2 TD's.
In just 10 games. I'm not going to thumb my nose at that...

1,000 all purpose yards suck when 265 of them come on offense. To be honest the guy has been a completely pedestrian kickoff returner and that's where the majority of his yards come.

So I'm going to thumb my nose at that. It sucks ass and you have low expectations for a 2nd round pick.

Bwana
01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Even before his injury he looked hesitant. He danced around too much, trying to make things happen. Just pick a ****ing lane and go, dude. It'll eventually open up.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree with this.

At this point, he reminds me of Dante Hall during his slump. In the pre-season, Dex would hit the hole and fly, now he is doing to much dancing. With that being said, I think he will be just fine, if he can keep himself healthy.

I hope he gets the memo by the time the playoffs roll around.

chiefzilla1501
01-02-2011, 11:25 AM
That's because McCluster sucks. Charles had 3 times as many touches because he's a freaking RB and ended up starting a game.

Playing in the slot is a lot closer to starting than being a third-string RB. It's a lot more PT.

As a freaking RB, it's also a million times easier to transition to the NFL. That's why RBs come into this league and the good ones are almost always 1,000 yard rushers, while most WRs take 2-3 years to develop. It's not an indication that he sucks. It's an indication that he has a lot to learn at a completely new position. I don't see how his transition to WR is that much different from Albert's transition to Guard. We're seeing pretty clearly that you have to have some patience for a guy learning a completely new position.

SAUTO
01-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Why? Production is productionI don't care what he does as a running back.

Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
01-02-2011, 12:32 PM
I think mcluster is retarded

Micjones
01-02-2011, 05:56 PM

Charles played over half of that season as the backup RB. Kolby Smith played only 7 games that year and didn't even dress after Week 9. Larry Johnson was suspended or inactive for three games that year as well.

ALOT of those offensive opportunities came while he was the #2 back.
Don't forget he started a couple games that season.

Considering your earlier point about Charles...
You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Simply being on the field hardly means your number will be called.
It's not as though being in the slot means the ball's coming your way.
McCluster was used to open up the field for Bowe throughout the year.

McCluster has six starts in 10 games.

And despite that fact...
He was targeted 32 times in the passing game.
Charles was targeted 40 times in the passing game his rookie season.

So I'm going to thumb my nose at that. It sucks ass and you have low expectations for a 2nd round pick.

You're entitled. Comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of how tough it can be to transition to the NFL at a skill position. I get it. And I'm not at all worried. Not after just one season.

Reaper16
01-02-2011, 06:00 PM
It seems like Weis tried to feature McCluster today, but his route running was absolute dogshit.

Hammock Parties
01-02-2011, 06:03 PM
And despite that fact...
He was targeted 32 times in the passing game.

That's because he can't get open.

You're entitled. Comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of how tough it can be to transition to the NFL at a skill position. I get it. And I'm not at all worried. Not after just one season.

No, it comes from an understanding that the guy SUCKED. Other rookie receivers had much better seasons. McCluster was garbage this year and by no means is the season he had acceptable for a high 2nd round pick. Not even close. 400 yards of 20-yard kickoff returns don't change that.

Simply being on the field hardly means your number will be called.
It's not as though being in the slot means the ball's coming your way.
McCluster was used to open up the field for Bowe throughout the year.

This is complete bullshit. No defensive coordinator in the league saw McCluster on the field and decided to shift coverage in order to compensate.

Do you even understand route combinations or progressions? The guy is out there running routes the entire game. If he could actually get open, Cassel would find him.

He's not. Because right now, he sucks.

He might improve next year but for right now...he's fucking awful.

WV
01-02-2011, 06:05 PM
You have to wonder exactly how many touches the guy can actually handle, he looks downright frail and takes too many punishing hits. I wanna like him and of course root for him, but just don't think he's going to make any huge impact anytime soon.

Micjones
01-05-2011, 05:35 AM
That's because he can't get open.

A differential of 8 targets means the difference between being able to get separation and not? Got it.

He's been able to get separation. Is it as often as it could be? Absolutely not, but again this is his first year in the NFL. Takes time to adjust to the game in every aspect of being a WR. Including separation.

No, it comes from an understanding that the guy SUCKED. Other rookie receivers had much better seasons. McCluster was garbage this year and by no means is the season he had acceptable for a high 2nd round pick. Not even close. 400 yards of 20-yard kickoff returns don't change that.

Wide Receiver is one of the toughest positions in the NFL to transition into.
That's an indisputable fact.

I also think you're being a bit disingenuous to suggest he's not a special utility type of WR who can't exactly be compared to the Golden Tate's of the world (he wasn't drafted to be that guy). Even though Tate, statistically, has had a VERY similar season to the one McCluster's had.

This is complete bullshit. No defensive coordinator in the league saw McCluster on the field and decided to shift coverage in order to compensate.

Right. No correlation between starts in the Houston and Jacksonville games AND the fact that Bowe caught 2 TD's in both contests?

Also no correlation between the fact that Bowe's three longest catches of the season came in games where McCluster started. Got it.

5 TD catches in games where he's playing opposite of DMC, but nothing to see here.

Do you even understand route combinations or progressions? The guy is out there running routes the entire game. If he could actually get open, Cassel would find him.

He has. An average of about 2 times per game.
That's a low number, but remember he only played in 11 games.
Also remember the fact that the Chiefs didn't start slinging the ball around the yard until Week 9.

He might improve next year but for right now...he's ****ing awful.

We can agree to disagree.

beach tribe
01-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Another example of a CPer treating a rookie like his performance in his first 10 starts, is ANY indication of the epic failure, or monumental success he may or may not become.

WR is without a doubt one of the hardest positions to master in the NFL. Not only is McC learning that, but also protection schemes as a RB. His kick returning duties, however insignificant they may seem, still take time away from developing as a WR.
I honestly don't see him hitting true form until year 3. I think he will be explosive next season, but year three will see him become an absolute nightmare for DCs.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Another example of a CPer treating a rookie like his performance in his first 10 starts, is ANY indication of the epic failure, or monumental success he may or may not become.

WR is without a doubt one of the hardest positions to master in the NFL. Not only is McC learning that, but also protection schemes as a RB. His kick returning duties, however insignificant they may seem, still take time away from developing as a WR.
I honestly don't see him hitting true form until year 3. I think he will be explosive next season, but year three will see him become an absolute nightmare for DCs.

You'd think they would learn by now. It's like Ground Hog Day 2: Electric Boogaloo around this F'n place.

Demonpenz
01-05-2011, 09:49 AM
We should have looked for a Marquis Colston type of threat in the later rounds instead of wasting the draft pick on McBuster

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-05-2011, 10:14 AM
You'd think they would learn by now. It's like Ground Hog Day 2: Electric Boogaloo around this F'n place.

ROFL

DBOSHO
01-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Id be lying if i said i wasnt dissapointed in mccluster so far.

B_Ambuehl
01-05-2011, 11:14 AM
He's quick but not as fast as advertised - nowhere near as fast as Charles. People don't really have trouble covering him with Dbs. Go back and watch the routes he ran against the 'Fade. They covered him without any trouble at all. When Routt got that pick 6 he pulled away from McCluster like he wasn't even there.