PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Best BBQ in KC

Over-Head
01-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Adam on Man vs Food just said the burnt ends and BBQ at Oklahoma JOs in KC was the best in the world....
He's about to go eat a 5lb something or other with a pound of fries at Popa Jo's

Any locals care to give a cretique on either eatery

morphius
01-01-2011, 11:11 PM
OK Joe's is my current favorite.

morphius
01-01-2011, 11:12 PM
The band Guster agree's as well (see song 12)
http://www.archive.org/details/guster2010-10-13.mbho_ka200n

Over-Head
01-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Oh, and is the Pan fried chicken at Strouds as good as it looks :drool:

Over-Head
01-01-2011, 11:17 PM
He's taking on the Ultimate Destroyer sandwich at Poppa Bobs.

Over-Head
01-01-2011, 11:23 PM
He's taking on the Ultimate Destroyer sandwich at Poppa Bobs.
Oh dear lord, what a feast it looks like.
There aint no way a human could pack that into his gut in one sitting let alone inside 45mins

morphius
01-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Oh dear lord, what a feast it looks like.
There aint no way a human could pack that into his gut in one sitting let alone inside 45mins
Yeah, I saw the episode a few months ago, absolutely impossible. It is one thing to put things at the limit of what people can do, but to having more food then he could eat if he sat there all day, and maybe a second, is just stupid.

keg in kc
01-01-2011, 11:54 PM
OK Joe's is my current favorite.Same here.

I was mightily upset last wednesday (that's burnt end day at OK Joe's) when my truck wouldn't start. I'd planned to make that my last meal out for the next six weeks. :(

jjchieffan
01-01-2011, 11:58 PM
I love Oklahoma Joes, but Gates has the best burnt ends.

DeezNutz
01-02-2011, 12:02 AM

Hmm...disagree, and I appreciate the Q at Gates. Even when one orders burnt ends on a meat platter, the ends are chopped with beef. Damn tasty, but I appreciate the approach at Joe's. True, you can't get them all week, but that's what makes it special.

Reaper16
01-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Incorrect.

Pitt Gorilla
01-02-2011, 12:42 AM
If only this had been discussed in multiple threads.

ChiefsCountry
01-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Saying which BBQ in the best in KC is saying which is hotter blondes or brunette. You are going to get alot of different answers.

keg in kc
01-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Saying which BBQ in the best in KC is saying which is hotter blondes or brunette. You are going to get alot of different answers.Brunette.

Phobia
01-02-2011, 02:09 AM
You can't go wrong anywhere. All the BBQ is good. They all do amazing work.

JOhn
01-02-2011, 02:11 AM
Saying which BBQ in the best in KC is saying which is hotter blondes or brunette. You are going to get alot of different answers.

Blondes :p

Baby Lee
01-02-2011, 05:33 AM

Put it this way, I'm not a big fan of fried chicken. It goes cold and greasy way too quick for my taste. But Strouds is among my favorite meals any time any place.

Dave Lane
01-02-2011, 08:06 AM
I love Oklahoma Joes, but Gates has the best short ends.

Fixed your post for you.

Pioli Zombie
01-02-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't get why Adam never just stops and barfs up all over the table. He's not even that fat? What the hell?

Sure-Oz
01-02-2011, 10:26 AM
The big 3 imo, Oklahoma Joes, Arthur Bryants and Jack Stack

Reaper16
01-02-2011, 10:39 AM
You can't go wrong anywhere. All the BBQ is good. They all do amazing work.
LMAO

Rukdafaidas
01-02-2011, 10:48 AM
The big 3 imo, Oklahoma Joes, Arthur Bryants and Jack Stack

No, the big 3 are Stewie, Phobia and Reaper.

Wyndex
01-02-2011, 10:48 AM
If you ask someone in the inner city area they'll say Gates due to accessibility. I was fond of Rosedales and 7th Street (Qwiks) before branching out and working in Johnson County...because then I was treated to Zardas, Oklahoma Joes etc. I currently live near R&J's BBQ on Lamar right near Johnson Drive and they have the best sauce I've tasted, the best fries goes to Joes hands down and sauce...well I like the spicy sauce at R&J's. Burnt Ends goes to Joes, Pulled Pork sandwich goes to Joes and if you're a baller on a budget I recommend Rosedales or R&J's.

bevischief
01-02-2011, 10:55 AM

yes.

bevischief
01-02-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't get why Adam never just stops and barfs up all over the table. He's not even that fat? What the hell?

tape worm.

Hammock Parties
02-17-2011, 12:17 AM
So, has anyone been to Papa Bob's and completed the Ultimate Destroyer Challenge?

http://www.papabobsbbq.com/

Papa Bob’s Ultimate Destroyer Challenge

The “Ultimate Destroyer” has been aerodynamically designed for ease of sliding through the air to arrive at your table, but that’s where the aerodynamics stop. Under its stealth cover are mounds of meat that will surely be leaving you gasping for air if you succeed in the “Ultimate Destroyer Challenge.”

Spread out on the first layer of the 12” hoagie bun is a half pound of mouth watering pulled pork. Atop that, a half pound of hickory smoked sliced pork. Above a generous squirt of Papa Bob’s regular sauce, we add two slices of bread.

Next comes a half pound layer of sliced, hickory smoked ham with a half pound layer of hickory smoked turkey breast above that.

Following the sauce and two more pieces of bread, add three, count ‘em, three, half pound hickory smoked hamburgers with another generous squirt of sauce.

Add the bread and here comes the beef. A half pound of tender hickory smoked brisket spread out with a half pound of lean, hickory smoked BBQ sausage as the last layer followed with yet another squirt of sauce.

All this will try to be camouflaged with the top of the hoagie bun. But wait…There’s more.

For your culinary enjoyment, we’re adding one and one half pounds of fries and four dill pickle spears or four jalapeno peppers to complete the “Ultimate Destroyer Challenge.”

So what’s the challenge?

Eat everything that’s on the pretty plate in 45 minutes or less, and it’s free.

But if you can’t, you’ll always pay Papa Bob’s $48 for the “Ultimate Destroyer” and get to take the rest of it home. Come to think about it, you’ll pay for it either way.

If you succeed, you’ll get your picture on the Papa Bob’s Wall of Fame (or in some cases Wall of Shame,) an “I survived the Ultimate Destroyer” button, and a great big “Attaboy” or “Attagirl.”

The Rules

Payment must be made in advance. Credit cards or cash will be refunded if you win the challenge.

No bathroom breaks; just sit there and eat & eat & eat & eat.

No charge for fountain drinks.

No dipping any part of the sandwich or fries in drinks.

Must keep all food down at least 5 (five) minutes after your last bite. If you launch it, you gotta clean it!! (floors, tables, chairs, parking lot, employees, customers, etc.)

A Papa Bob’s Up-Chuck bucket will be provided at your table (just in case).
Papa Bob’s is not responsible for anything mentally or physically that arises from eating the “Ultimate Destroyer.”

http://www.papabobsbbq.com/wp-content/gallery/ultimate-destroyer/p9100194.jpg

Reaper16
02-17-2011, 12:39 AM
No one has and no one ever will. It's an impossible challenge that exists only to drum up publicity for a sub-par BBQ place.

Phobia
02-17-2011, 01:10 AM
It doesn't even look remotely tasty.

Fairplay
02-17-2011, 01:13 AM
If only this had been discussed in multiple threads.

Yeah, i thought that as well.

Fairplay
02-17-2011, 01:16 AM
If Danny Edwards would have better sauce it would be toward the top of my list. Their meat is outstanding how they cook it. Good place to eat.

threebag
02-17-2011, 01:22 AM

You have to fight the flies for your food if you dine in

CrazyPhuD
02-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Hands down the McRibb

BigRedChief
02-17-2011, 07:22 AM
REPOST:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207630

ReynardMuldrake
02-17-2011, 07:45 AM

Yes it is. Their cinnamon rolls are amazing too.

jd1020
02-17-2011, 07:56 AM
It doesn't even look remotely tasty.

Agreed.

That looks fucking disgusting, and not because of the amount of food.

tooge
02-17-2011, 09:27 AM
funny thing about kc bbq is that so many people have to have their favorite. Truth is, there are dozens of bbq joints in KC that are a 9 out of ten. Obviously, any place that doesn't have smoke coming out of it is just using Sysco precooked food, and trust me, there are a number of those around. Other than those, I try not to have a favorite. I try to enjoy a bunch of them. There are certainly striking differences, for example Bryants vs. OK Joes. But it doesn't mean they aren't both good grub and great bbq.
my go to places are:
LC's
BBs
gates
bryants
winslows
wyandotte
quicks
the Q
Fiorellas
But I've only eaten at one that I've ever simply disliked, and that's Rosedale. Some love it though. My recommendation would be to get the phone book out, or just drive around and try as many as you can.

Phobia
02-17-2011, 09:30 AM
funny thing about kc bbq is that so many people have to have their favorite. Truth is, there are dozens of bbq joints in KC that are a 9 out of ten. Obviously, any place that doesn't have smoke coming out of it is just using Sysco precooked food, and trust me, there are a number of those around. Other than those, I try not to have a favorite. I try to enjoy a bunch of them. There are certainly striking differences, for example Bryants vs. OK Joes. But it doesn't mean they aren't both good grub and great bbq.
my go to places are:
LC's
BBs
gates
bryants
winslows
wyandotte
quicks
the Q
Fiorellas
But I've only eaten at one that I've ever simply disliked, and that's Rosedale. Some love it though. My recommendation would be to get the phone book out, or just drive around and try as many as you can.

This is surprising and encouraging because I think we have pretty similar palates. But these guys must see me coming and serve me the crap that's been sitting on a warmer for 3 days because I have "simply disliked" most the places on your list more than once. I'd rather pay to eat at your table than eat free at most of your list.

gblowfish
02-17-2011, 09:46 AM
"Poppa Bob's" is not even on the KC radar. Why the food glutton guy picked it is beyond me. Guess the business is just outside of Bonner Springs. It's just not a relevant KC BBQ establishment.

Stroud's is some of the best pan fried chicken on the planet, worth all the hype and more. And you could have sex with the gravy. They ought to make a perfume from the smell...men would tear up any woman who wore it.

Phobia
02-17-2011, 09:54 AM
"Poppa Bob's" is not even on the KC radar. Why the food glutton guy picked it is beyond me. Guess the business is just outside of Bonner Springs. It's just not a relevant KC BBQ establishment.

Stroud's is some of the best pan fried chicken on the planet, worth all the hype and more. And you could have sex with the gravy. They ought to make a perfume from the smell...men would tear up any woman who wore it.

See, I've been to Strouds as well - and was disappointed. Why do I get screwed?

I'm not hard to please either. There are dozens of eateries I've been extremely pleased with in this city. It's just the ones that are supposedly amazing that seem to disappoint me - Hereford House, Strouds, Bryants, LC's, etc....

gblowfish
02-17-2011, 10:00 AM
See, I've been to Strouds as well - and was disappointed. Why do I get screwed?

I'm not hard to please either. There are dozens of eateries I've been extremely pleased with in this city. It's just the ones that are supposedly amazing that seem to disappoint me - Hereford House, Strouds, Bryants, LC's, etc....

You should give Stroud's another try. If you don't like chicken, they have great pork chops and other menu items as well.

The real mashed potatoes, gravy, green beens and cinnamon rolls are awesome. Which Stroud's did you go to? The new one on Shawnee Mission Parkway, the one up north, or did you go to the old one on Holmes before it was torn down?

Phobia
02-17-2011, 10:01 AM
You should give Stroud's another try. If you don't like chicken, they have great pork chops and other menu items as well.

The real mashed potatoes, gravy, green beens and cinnamon rolls are awesome. Which Stroud's did you go to? The new one on Shawnee Mission Parkway, the one up north, or did you go to the old one on Holmes before it was torn down?

Holmes. I had chicken. I love chicken. I'm told I need to go up North.

Fish
02-17-2011, 10:03 AM
I'd probably stab a man for a big Stroud's chicken fried steak smothered in taters and gravy with some corn mixed in....

Phobia
02-17-2011, 10:04 AM
I'd probably stab a man for a big Stroud's chicken fried steak smothered in taters and gravy with some corn mixed in....

I think I'ma take the old lady up there for that this weekend. It can be her birthday dinner.

Fire Me Boy!
02-17-2011, 10:07 AM
You're all bastards.

gblowfish
02-17-2011, 10:08 AM
If you happen to catch a Royals game this year (don't ask why....I have no idea why ANYONE would go to a Royals game right now) but if you do, Stroud's has a stand in left field. Get some chicken tenders. They are mighty good. They have cinnamon rolls there too. So if you can't make it to a real Stroud's restaurant, you can get a little taste of it at Kauffman Stadium.

patteeu
02-17-2011, 10:12 AM
I think I'ma take the old lady up there for that this weekend. It can be her birthday dinner.

Plan on a pretty long wait. I like their food quite a bit, but I'm not sure it's worth the wait.

tooge
02-17-2011, 10:29 AM
This is surprising and encouraging because I think we have pretty similar palates. But these guys must see me coming and serve me the crap that's been sitting on a warmer for 3 days because I have "simply disliked" most the places on your list more than once. I'd rather pay to eat at your table than eat free at most of your list.

I agree. I mention those, but I probably go "out" for bbq about once a year. It's the one food that will be better at home than any restaurant I go to. You are right a bout the similar palates as well. We both like a little spice, little or no sauce on the ribs, and pureed pork butt, er, I mean pulled pork. BTW, this warming weather and reading your post just made me think of those stuffed burgers you did at the bbq a few years ago. OMG! I haven't done it since, but that was ridiculously good and everyone got to do their own version. I think mine weighed in at about 3 lbs.

tooge
02-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. Same to ya. Especially those beans.

Predarat
02-17-2011, 10:34 AM
This is getting me hungry for BBQ, there is no way I could do the destroyer Challenge. Do any of the BBQ joints have good smoked Turkey Legs? They used to have good smoked Turkey Legs at Silver Dollar City, but they were not as good the last time I went there. The reason there are so many BBQ threads on here is because KC is the BBQ capital of the world!! Screw Memphis, their BBQ is ok but not even close to KC!

KCUnited
02-17-2011, 10:42 AM
This is getting me hungry for BBQ, there is no way I could do the destroyer Challenge. Do any of the BBQ joints have good smoked Turkey Legs? They used to have good smoked Turkey Legs at Silver Dollar City, but they were not as good the last time I went there. The reason there are so many BBQ threads on here is because KC is the BBQ capital of the world!! Screw Memphis, their BBQ is ok but not even close to KC!

You can get an above average turkey leg down at the City Market from one of the food slangers.