PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher:Weis says it’s coincidence offense sputters after he accepts Florida job

Tribal Warfare
01-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Weis says it’s coincidence offense sputters after he accepts Florida job (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/02/2556729/weis-says-its-coincidence-offense.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis will be leaving Kansas City the day after the season ends to take the same position at the University of Florida, but he said his new job won’t be a distraction for him as the Chiefs prepare for the playoffs.

“I will do everything I can to help the Chiefs be successful,” Weis said after the Chiefs lost 31-10 to Oakland on Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium in their final regular-season game. “I’m working for the Chiefs as long as we can make this work. Now that we’re in the tournament, I’m hoping we play until February.”

The Chiefs played one of their worst offensive games of the season one day after Weis accepted the Florida position.

Weis said that was mere coincidence and that his preparation for the Oakland game didn’t suffer because he was talking to the Gators.

“I didn’t even talk about the job (with Florida) until I got home at 10 o’clock at night,” said Weis, who was offensive coordinator during a Super Bowl championship run with the Patriots in 2005 after becoming the head coach at Notre Dame.

“I’ve gone through this once before, so I have a very good reference on how to separate family business from work.

“It was even worse then. I was recruiting from 8 to 11 every night but working up until 8 and on until 2 afterwards to do my job with the Patriots.”

Weis said his relationship with head coach Todd Haley has not deteriorated as has been speculated.

“I almost get offended when people say that,” Weis said. “People always want to look for a different angle for why you’re doing this. Scott (Pioli), Todd (Haley), Clark (Hunt), they brought me in to Kansas City when I was sitting at home in South Bend. I’ll be forever grateful for the opportunity I had to come here as the offensive coordinator and I’ll always wish them well.

“But this decision had absolutely zero to do with relationships in Kansas City.”

Weis and Haley worked together with the New York Jets for three years in the late 1990s, Weis as receivers coach and then the offensive coordinator and Haley as an offensive assistant.

At that time, Haley took some of his orders from Weis. That changed last winter when Haley hired Weis as offensive coordinator.

Asked to describe his working relationship with Haley, Weis said: “He’s the head coach, and I’m the offensive coordinator. We’ve known each other forever. Todd and I grew up under the same tree. We understand the way of doing business. It’s kind of interesting for me to reflect on how we’ve grown in the last decade or so since we’ve worked together.

“When you’re the boss, you’re the boss. When you’re an assistant, you’re an assistant. He’s definitely the boss, and I’m definitely the offensive coordinator. I think we had a very good understanding of what our roles were without any reservation.”

Weis indicated family matters played a large role in his decision. Weis is a friend of new Florida head coach Will Muschamp.

Weis’ son Charlie will soon graduate from St. Pius X High School in Kansas City and will attend Florida, where he will be an assistant coach for the Gators while attending school.

“This was a really tough decision for the Weis family,” Weis said. “This opportunity is one of those unique situations where I can go to a great institution where my son goes to matriculate and be able to spend the next bunch of years watching my son grow.

“He wants to coach. It took us very long to try to find a place where he could be involved with the football program in a student assistant capacity. At the end of the day, I don’t think anybody could understand how wonderful an opportunity it would be to be able to work at a place and see your kid on a daily basis.”

Haley said despite what happened against the Raiders he was satisfied Weis would be effective working for the Chiefs after taking the Florida job.

“Charlie is a professional,” Haley said. “Charlie has been through a similar situation back a few years ago. . . He, being a professional, did his job to the fullest to help the team win a Super Bowl.

“I have the utmost confidence that’s what will go on here.”

Ugly Duck
01-03-2011, 03:14 AM
"Their poor offensive showing came in the hours after offensive coordinator Charlie Weis decided to leave the team to take the same position at the University of Florida. He will be formally introduced in Gainesville, Fla., on Monday. Several Kansas City players said that Weis’ decision had no impact on their flat performance Sunday. They pointed to the fact that the game plan was installed and the practice week was concluded before Weis’ departure as reasons for it having no bearing on the outcome of the game."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/22693/chiefs-limp-into-the-playoffs

jidar
01-03-2011, 04:40 AM
I'm inclined to agree.

The same thing happened the last time we played the Raiders. It's a game of matchups.

beach tribe
01-03-2011, 06:52 AM
For some reason I believe Wies over a bunch of kneejerk speculators.

Call me crazy.

InChiefsHeaven
01-03-2011, 06:57 AM

Call me crazy.

You are crazy...but so am I. I really think the Mellinger article is so much bullshit...it's all speculation. Weiss says it, Todd says it, but they MUST both be lying because the administration at 1 Arrowhead Drive is evil...:shake:

Bugeater
01-03-2011, 07:20 AM
You are crazy...but so am I. I really think the Mellinger article is so much bullshit...it's all speculation. Weiss says it, Todd says it, but they MUST both be lying because the administration at 1 Arrowhead Drive is evil...:shake:
Yeah, because if there was some kind of internal strife, I am totally sure they would come right out and admit it. Usually in these instances the truth is somewhere in between the two extremes.

memyselfI
01-03-2011, 07:28 AM
HELLO, it is better if it was the announcement vs. something fundamentally wrong with the offense.

MIAdragon
01-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Yeah, because if there was some kind of internal strife, I am totally sure they would come right out and admit it. Usually in these instances the truth is somewhere in between the two extremes.

Don't get all crazy now!

RINGLEADER
01-03-2011, 08:36 AM

Call me crazy.

But there's absolutely no way it could be anything but differences over the direction of the offense...and anyone who says otherwise is just stupid -- even Weis -- like he would really know what goes on in his own head...

RINGLEADER
01-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Prove it.

You can't.

Because all the evidence is to the contrary.

When a third-party, ANYONE, with actual knowledge of the situation says otherwise then I'll re-evaluate the reasons but until that time the media is talking out of their azzes...

Iowanian
01-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah....the offense didn't look at all like the coordinator spent last week interviewing and considering a job and move instead of planning for this game.

I believe that didn't have an impact about as much as I believe gravy wouldn't spill out if someone cut him.

I can only hope he brings as much success to Florida as he did Notre Dame, though the Gators likely have a higher salary cap expense than the Chiefs, so that helps.

RealSNR
01-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Good lord... cut the umbilical cord already, Charlie. Your kid's in college. Let him do what he wants without da-da breathing from behind his shoulder getting fried chicken crumbs on his clothes.

The Bad Guy
01-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Good lord... cut the umbilical cord already, Charlie. Your kid's in college. Let him do what he wants without da-da breathing from behind his shoulder getting fried chicken crumbs on his clothes.

Apparently Weis, Jr. is a chip off the old block and isn't real interested in the total college experience, he just wants to go to class and work in the football department.

All of this started materializing when the Weis clan paid a visit to Mack Brown and Muschamp about getting jr. to work at Texas. From then, Muschamp kept in close contact with Charlie and it dominoed from there.

Imon Yourside
01-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Of course it had an impact, anyone thinking differently needs to have his/her head examined. Great timing there guys, we just got pwned by the hapless faiders at home. The Oline sure played with a great deal of confidence after repeated cries for mommy out there.

wazu
01-03-2011, 10:44 AM
“I’ve gone through this once before, so I have a very good reference on how to separate family business from work.

“It was even worse then. I was recruiting from 8 to 11 every night but working up until 8 and on until 2 afterwards to do my job with the Patriots.”

This actually is a good point. Makes me feel better about the playoff run and his focus.

RealSNR
01-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Apparently Weis, Jr. is a chip off the old block and isn't real interested in the total college experience, he just wants to go to class and work in the football department.

All of this started materializing when the Weis clan paid a visit to Mack Brown and Muschamp about getting jr. to work at Texas. From then, Muschamp kept in close contact with Charlie and it dominoed from there.Ah. So I'm assuming that it's not Charlie Sr we should worry about but Charlie Jr.

Fried chicken crumbs can be easily cleaned up, but fried chicken grease on playbooks and the like... those stains simply do not come out

siberian khatru
01-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Prove it.

You can't.

Because all the evidence is to the contrary.

When a third-party, ANYONE, with actual knowledge of the situation says otherwise then I'll re-evaluate the reasons but until that time the media is talking out of their azzes...

They can start by having someone speak off the record. Anonymous sources are dicey, but in this case that would be a step up from what we have now, which is mostly speculation sprinkled with third-hand gossip in the most general terms.

Get a source. Someone who says Haley and Weis barely speak to each other anymore, or that they had a huge blowup last month and had to be separated, or that Haley was taking the finished game plans and red-penning them behind Weis' back or something. Something akin to Whitlock's "22 guys off the street" comment Haley supposedly made to Waters.

boogblaster
01-03-2011, 10:59 AM
we looked bad because our OL couldnt block and our WRs couldnt get open over the middle .. our only passing game .......

dj56dt58
01-03-2011, 06:11 PM
this fat fuck nor anyone else should be able to talk to other teams about jobs before the super bowl is over, Haley shouldn't have been talking to the Chiefs before the SB either, too much of a distraction and Its a selfish fucking think to do. you were hired to help this team and until your contract is up quit talking to other fucking teams, especially announcing your decision before the playoffs you ignorant fat fuck. I hope your fucking plane crashes before your fat ass gets to florida pussy. And I hope your fucking wheel chair lands on your fat ass when you hit the fucking ground.

HIChief
01-03-2011, 10:43 PM
this fat **** nor anyone else should be able to talk to other teams about jobs before the super bowl is over, Haley shouldn't have been talking to the Chiefs before the SB either, too much of a distraction and Its a selfish ****ing think to do. you were hired to help this team and until your contract is up quit talking to other ****ing teams, especially announcing your decision before the playoffs you ignorant fat ****. I hope your ****ing plane crashes before your fat ass gets to florida pussy. And I hope your ****ing wheel chair lands on your fat ass when you hit the ****ing ground.

Dude, that was beautiful! anyone who thinks it wasn't a distraction, GET REAL! Game plan set ahead of job change? You don't expect me to believe Weis spent all of 2 hrs thinking over this life-changing decision? And, if he spent more than that, then he suffered from sleep deprivation on game day, rendering him incapable of making requisite adjustments when his damn game plan didn't work!
Show Weis the door now!

BIG_DADDY
01-03-2011, 11:17 PM
It's cool that he wants to work with the kid and all but he really should have put some time in here (3 years). The fact that this is coming out now is total BS. Whatever dude, take a hike.

Chris Meck
01-03-2011, 11:41 PM
These were not the usual Raiders this season. They're not hapless. In addition to sweeping us, they swept The Chargers and Broncos as well. If they weren't so undisciplined penalty-wise, they'd probably be going to the play-offs and not us. Man for man, they're as talented as almost anyone.

We played like crap-but we had a play-off game locked up and a home game at that. I know Haley tried to keep the 'p' word out of things, but you can't tell me our guys weren't looking past this game. For the Raiders, it was the super bowl; a chance to not be losers, and a chance to sweep the division. They had more to play for, and they played like it.

Chris

KChiefs1
01-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Damn! If my dad did that to me, I'd be pissed.

I'd say let the kid have one year in Florida getting drunk & getting laid before daddy comes down to supervise.

BossChief
01-04-2011, 12:00 AM
The whole Weis thing is so damn disappointing. He actually had us believing that he would have Cassel playing well for the foreseeable future and now this crap.

WTF is gonna happen if we dont add Josh McDaniels or another QB guru?

Will Cassel regress BIG TIME next year against better competition?

Hammock Parties
01-04-2011, 12:06 AM
The whole Weis thing is so damn disappointing. He actually had us believing that he would have Cassel playing well for the foreseeable future and now this crap.

Dude, he's not going to turn back into a pumpkin.

He's not going to suddenly stop going through progressions and forget how to read a defense. His mechanics aren't going to go back to shit.

In fact, I bet his completion percentage and our third-down conversion percentage improves next season because likely we'll have a better line and a better WR corps (if Pioli does his job). And hopefully Moeaki and McCluster get better.

I am more concerned from a playcalling and gameplanning standpoint where losing Weis is concerned.

WV
01-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Depending on who replaces Weis I don't see much of a change. I didn't and still don't think Weis is all that, IMO Haley could call a better game than Weis. He gets way to much credit for his years in NE if you ask me.

Psyko Tek
01-04-2011, 01:23 AM
These were not the usual Raiders this season. They're not hapless. In addition to sweeping us, they swept The Chargers and Broncos as well. If they weren't so undisciplined penalty-wise, they'd probably be going to the play-offs and not us. Man for man, they're as talented as almost anyone.

We played like crap-but we had a play-off game locked up and a home game at that. I know Haley tried to keep the 'p' word out of things, but you can't tell me our guys weren't looking past this game. For the Raiders, it was the super bowl; a chance to not be losers, and a chance to sweep the division. They had more to play for, and they played like it.

Chris

well , they do have 34 years of top ten draft picks
sooner or later that has to mean something
good thing al is gonna fire the coach or they might get teir shit together

Raiderhater
01-04-2011, 02:13 AM
[B][SIZE="5"][url=http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/02/2556729/weis-says-its-coincidence-offense.html]
“This was a really tough decision for the Weis family,” Weis said. “This opportunity is one of those unique situations where I can go to a great institution where my son goes to matriculate and be able to spend the next bunch of years watching my son grow.

I thought matriculate meant to move the ball down the field....

Trying to add a little levity to the thread.

Marcellus
01-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Dude, that was beautiful! anyone who thinks it wasn't a distraction, GET REAL! Game plan set ahead of job change? You don't expect me to believe Weis spent all of 2 hrs thinking over this life-changing decision? And, if he spent more than that, then he suffered from sleep deprivation on game day, rendering him incapable of making requisite adjustments when his damn game plan didn't work!
Show Weis the door now!

Really?

Yea lets completely forgot that in the season Weis accepted the Notre Dame job he finished the season as NE's OC all the way through the SB which they won. Weis was named ND Coach Dec 12th that year.

But lets not let facts get confused with hyerbole.

Iowanian
01-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Most young men go to college, drink too much beer and perform marital acts upon as many lady gardens as possible.

This kid is going to making pounds and pounds of ghetto spaghetti for Fat bastard instead.

milkman
01-04-2011, 09:10 AM

I have been asking this question for some time now.

Why is McDumbass seen as a QB guru?

Is it because, rather than developing Matt Cassel's QB skills, he opted to run a larger number of snaps out of the shotgun spread?

Or is it because he saw a QB, in Orton, who had already shown signs of developing into an NFL QB in Chicago when he made the trade for him?

McDumbass gets a lot of credit for actually doing nothing.

As to the Weis distraction, I guess his play calling and game plan for teh Raiders was so bad, because he talked to Florida and took the job there, that the O-Line said, fuck it and decided not to show up.

Not to mention that the defense decided that Weis' performance was so bad that they decided not to tackle.

Yep, it's all about Weis.

Fish
01-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Depending on who replaces Weis I don't see much of a change. I didn't and still don't think Weis is all that, IMO Haley could call a better game than Weis. He gets way to much credit for his years in NE if you ask me.

WTF? Did you watch any Chiefs games last year? Any of them? Did you happen to see Haley calling plays? Did you miss the dramatic improvement in all areas of the offense this year when Weis took over?

Good grief.... Weis was brought it to "Fix the QB". And since then, Cassel has gone from "Drooling checkdown retard" to "Better stats than Peyton" in one season. But you can't see much of a change....

milkman
01-04-2011, 09:33 AM
WTF? Did you watch any Chiefs games last year? Any of them? Did you happen to see Haley calling plays? Did you miss the dramatic improvement in all areas of the offense this year when Weis took over?

Good grief.... Weis was brought it to "Fix the QB". And since then, Cassel has gone from "Drooling checkdown retard" to "Better stats than Peyton" in one season. But you can't see much of a change....

I think a big problem with Haley's play calling is that he had too much on his plate to be effective at it.

I would hope he brings in an OC that he has confidence in continuing to delegate the majority of play calling to, so that Haley can continue to focus on the the team as a whole.

InChiefsHeaven
01-04-2011, 09:39 AM
There should be no doubt that Weis helped the CHiefs immensely this season, and his departure sucks. But, he's not irreplaceable, we have a good foundation and many of the skill pieces in place. Add to that Haley's fingerprints are all over the offense, and I'd think finding a serviceable replacement won't be the hardest thing the Chiefs will have to deal with this off season.

FringeNC
01-04-2011, 09:51 AM
I think a big problem with Haley's play calling is that he had too much on his plate to be effective at it.

I would hope he brings in an OC that he has confidence in continuing to delegate the majority of play calling to, so that Haley can continue to focus on the the team as a whole.

I think you have to look at the progress of the offense over the 2009 season. Pre-bye, the first 7 games, we average 254 yards of offense per game. Post-bye, the last 9 games, we average 341 yards of offense per game.

I don't understand how people who post on this board can't remember (and I am not including you amongst those) simple facts about Haley's first year. Yeah, the offense sucked the beginning of the season due mainly to the O-line not understanding the blocking schemes, but by the end of the year, it was league-average at minimum. Haley was far from incompetent with the offense last year. Add Lilja, improve Cassel's footwork, and we have shown some improvement from the 2nd half of last year, but nothing like the improvement we showed pre vs. post bye. I just don't buy that this is all or even mainly Weis.

milkman
01-04-2011, 09:59 AM
I think you have to look at the progress of the offense over the 2009 season. Pre-bye, the first 7 games, we average 254 yards of offense per game. Post-bye, the last 9 games, we average 341 yards of offense per game.

I don't understand how people who post on this board can't remember (and I am not including you amongst those) simple facts about Haley's first year. Yeah, the offense sucked the beginning of the season due mainly to the O-line not understanding the blocking schemes, but by the end of the year, it was league-average at minimum. Haley was far from incompetent with the offense last year. Add Lilja, improve Cassel's footwork, and we have shown some improvement from the 2nd half of last year, but nothing like the improvement we showed pre vs. post bye. I just don't buy that this is all or even mainly Weis.

Actually, I knew that the offense improved, but I think that was due, in large part, to Charles' emergence.

I really thought that there were just a lot of head sctatching play calls from Haley throughout the season.

FringeNC
01-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Actually, I knew that the offense improved, but I think that was due, in large part, to Charles' emergence.

I really thought that there were just a lot of head sctatching play calls from Haley throughout the season.

I think in the second half of the season, the O-line actually started blocking for Charles a little. The first part of the season, it pretty much looked like it did on Sunday.

InChiefsHeaven
01-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Well, the first part of last year we were suffering through the LJ thing. But I recall the o-line getting better pass protection at the end as well, but Cassel was not keeping pace with that improvement. This season we have progressed, had a productive off season and added a competent OC so that Haley could concentrate on bigger picture stuff. Haley did a pretty remarkable job last year, all things considered. Yes, we could have kept Chan Gaily and run the wildcat or whatever, but Haley realized that the development of the team into HIS kind of offense would stagnate and put him that much further behind. SO, he blew it up and went through the pain of last season. I think the progress speaks for itself.

MahiMike
01-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Chiefs players were clearly distracted last week. As mad as I was (and still am) at Weis, it was better to lay the egg last week. Now hopefully it's behind them.

BigChiefFan
01-04-2011, 11:00 AM

I don't understand how people who post on this board can't remember (and I am not including you amongst those) simple facts about Haley's first year. Yeah, the offense sucked the beginning of the season due mainly to the O-line not understanding the blocking schemes, but by the end of the year, it was league-average at minimum. Haley was far from incompetent with the offense last year. Add Lilja, improve Cassel's footwork, and we have shown some improvement from the 2nd half of last year, but nothing like the improvement we showed pre vs. post bye. I just don't buy that this is all or even mainly Weis.Agreed. Excellent post.

Weis has done a great job this year, but it's the same offense that Haley is accustomed to, as well. Too many live in the instant gratification world and when things go bad, that are quick to make snap judgements and throw people under the bus. .

Putting it in perspective, this is only Haley's SECOND YEAR, as our coach...let's also not forget he was coordinating the offense for a Super Bowl team just a few years back.

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Nothing like a FB pass back to the QB to kill momentum.

LMAO

Chiefnj2
01-04-2011, 11:08 AM
I hate to say this, but anyone could have improved the offense this year. 2009 was perhaps the worst situation any team could have been in.