PDA

View Full Version : Life Fuck Thieves

The Bad Guy
01-03-2011, 10:18 PM
So I go out to my car tonight to retrieve my Ipod, which I left in there last Monday and have only driven my car to one place since...the Toyota dealership.

I really thought I had brought it in my house before going to the dealership and didn't see it in my car because it was buried in the glovebox.

Well, tonight I go to grab it, and low and behold, the armstrap is there that I use for the gym, but the Ipod is gone. This thing couldn't just fall off the strap, it would have to be unhooked.

So now it's a week later and my case with Toyota will fall on deaf ears (which it should), but I hope the bastard that stole my 64gb Ipod gets the most uncurable rash on their nuts and it drives them crazy for an eternity.

pr_capone
01-03-2011, 10:20 PM
That reminds me... there was a cat on here earlier that had his cash stolen from him by a "friend".

Wonder what ever came of that.

WV
01-03-2011, 10:21 PM
It wasn't a 160 so you didn't have the man's iPod.....

Sucks though, I'd raise some stink at the dealership if for no other reason than to make myself feel better.

Ming the Merciless
01-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Aww shit man. Im sorry to hear it. If you dont have music backed up, I have a fairly massive music collection I would let you rape if it helps.

The Bad Guy
01-03-2011, 10:23 PM
It wasn't a 160 so you didn't have the man's iPod.....

Sucks though, I'd raise some stink at the dealership if for no other reason than to make myself feel better.

I'm just beyond pissed. I'll call the dealership tomorrow, and apple and report the serial number stolen.

I won't have an ounce of recourse based on the timeline, but mother fuck.

The Bad Guy
01-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Aww shit man. Im sorry to hear it. If you dont have music backed up, I have a fairly massive music collection I would let you rape if it helps.

Thanks dude. It's all backed up on Itunes, it's just the cost of the Ipod that really pisses me off.

Phobia
01-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm just beyond pissed. I'll call the dealership tomorrow, and apple and report the serial number stolen.

I won't have an ounce of recourse based on the timeline, but mother ****.

You have leverage. You can never use that dealership again and share your experience with everybody in your circle. The dealership knows that. They'll want to know they have a thief in the svc dept. They'll go out of their way to launch an investigation despite the timeline - especially if they can catch the crook with your ipod.

CaliforniaChief
01-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Scott Pioli organized the plot to steal your iPod and asked Todd Haley to do it but he was in over his head as an iPod thief. #JWhitterball

WebGem
01-03-2011, 10:29 PM
I always take certain shit out of the car before I leave it to get serviced.

The Bad Guy
01-03-2011, 10:30 PM
You have leverage. You can never use that dealership again and share your experience with everybody in your circle. The dealership knows that. They'll want to know they have a thief in the svc dept. They'll go out of their way to launch an investigation despite the timeline - especially if they can catch the crook with your ipod.

Good point. I'll have to use them because my car is under warranty for another 5 years and the next nearest dealership is 95 miles away.

Earthling
01-03-2011, 10:31 PM
You have my sympathies. That just sucks. I pretty much put thieves in the same category as pedophiles and rapists...party time if they get gutshot.

The Bad Guy
01-03-2011, 10:31 PM
I always take certain shit out of the car before I leave it to get serviced.

Thought I had it in the house. Was really buried deep in the glove box. It had to be there since if someone broke in my car, they aren't unclipping the ipod from the armstrap, which is a bitch thing to do.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-04-2011, 01:20 PM
I don't really see why the guy at the dealer would take it out of the armband either.

bevischief
01-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Check the local pawn shops in the area.

DBOSHO
01-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Dust for fingerprints on the armband.

For real though, fuck that guy. Thieves are amongst the people that piss me off the worst in the world.

ModSocks
01-04-2011, 01:27 PM
For real though, **** that guy. Thieves are amongst the people that piss me off the worst in the world.

This. This. This.

And Taggers.......

Fish
01-04-2011, 01:27 PM
That's why iPod and iPhone owners should install this free app: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/find-my-ipodtouch.html

DaFace
01-04-2011, 01:31 PM
You probably won't get far with the dealer, but there's no reason that you can't complain. A lot of them have cameras in their shops and might be able to check it out. Note the exact date and time your car was there before you call.

(That said, do your due diligence and ask any family members you may have just to make sure no one else could have taken it.)

Donger
01-04-2011, 01:31 PM
That's why iPod and iPhone owners should install this free app: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/find-my-ipodtouch.html

I had no idea that iPods had the ability to transmit.

gblowfish
01-04-2011, 01:32 PM
I'd watch Craig's List in your town, see if anybody tries to move an IPod FAST.

Fritz88
01-04-2011, 01:33 PM
So I go out to my car tonight to retrieve my Ipod, which I left in there last Monday and have only driven my car to one place since...the Toyota dealership.

I really thought I had brought it in my house before going to the dealership and didn't see it in my car because it was buried in the glovebox.

Well, tonight I go to grab it, and low and behold, the armstrap is there that I use for the gym, but the Ipod is gone. This thing couldn't just fall off the strap, it would have to be unhooked.

So now it's a week later and my case with Toyota will fall on deaf ears (which it should), but I hope the bastard that stole my 64gb Ipod gets the most uncurable rash on their nuts and it drives them crazy for an eternity.

Go back and ask around. You shall find the fucker who stole it.

DaFace
01-04-2011, 01:33 PM
P.S. At least you didn't get broken into. It cost me $170 to fix my window when someone broke into my car a couple months back to steal my four-year-old Garmin that was probably worth about $50.

Fritz88
01-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I had no idea that iPods had the ability to transmit.

Pretty much anything can transmit now. My 60$ Casio can transmit.

Donger
Wouldn't the dealership have a log of who worked on your car?

Fritz88
P.S. At least you didn't get broken into. It cost me $170 to fix my window when someone broke into my car a couple months back to steal my four-year-old Garmin that was probably worth about $50.

It is probably someone getting back at you for removing Tags.

The Franchise
01-04-2011, 01:35 PM
I fucking hate thieves.

About a month ago I forgot to lock our van that's parked in the driveway. Totally my fault....but thats what happens when you're hauling in two carseats, two diaper bags and a 3 year old. I go out the next morning and my backpack was stolen out of the front seat. I didn't lose much.....just a book and my checkbook. I was more pissed that I had to change account numbers and reorder everything.

Once again....yes I realize it was my fault.

Donger
01-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Pretty much anything can transmit now. My 60$ Casio can transmit.

Yeah, I was just looking at them. The iPod Touch has 802.11, so I guess for that app to work, the iPod would have to have access to a local hot spot. It isn't cellular.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2011, 01:40 PM

What a fantastic app.

When I get my new one, this will be going on immediately.

Donger
01-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Heh.

2. Find My iPod touch enables you to locate your iPod touch only when it is on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Heh.

2. Find My iPod touch enables you to locate your iPod touch only when it is on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network.

Registered wi-fi network? So that means it has to be one that you register?

DaFace
01-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Na, that just means you have to be connected to the network (and, thus, have internet access) for it to work.

DaFace
01-04-2011, 01:52 PM
On a side note, Google Latitude does essentially the same thing as that app, though there's no way to control the device through Latitude. I mention it mainly for Android users out there.

Donger
01-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Your iPod has to have access to a hot spot. I'm not very familiar with iPods, so I don't know if they'll just randomly go out and try to gain access to an unprotected (which it would have to be) hot spot. But that is what would have to happen for this to work with 802.11.

Fish
01-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Your iPod has to have access to a hot spot. I'm not very familiar with iPods, so I don't know if they'll just randomly go out and try to gain access to an unprotected (which it would have to be) hot spot. But that is what would have to happen for this to work with 802.11.

That is exactly what happens.

01-04-2011, 01:55 PM
It must have been Skip that stole it.

Frazod
01-04-2011, 02:00 PM
It must have been Skip that stole it.

Changing oil would certainly be on his career path trajectory. :D

Donger
01-04-2011, 02:03 PM
That is exactly what happens.

Really? I just looked at my iPhone and I don't see an option for it to just join any old new network it sees.

How do you do that?

The Bad Guy
01-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Here's what I've decided to do.

I'll file a local police report about it. Then I'd like to review the survailence tapes of who moves my car around and who was working on it.

My brother is searching Craigslist from the last week to see if there are any 64-GB ipods for sale.

Fish
01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Really? I just looked at my iPhone and I don't see an option for it to just join any old new network it sees.

How do you do that?

Settings\Wi-Fi\Ask to Join Networks

If "Ask to Join Networks" is set to off, you will automatically join any available network within range.

Frazod
01-04-2011, 02:10 PM
This is one of the reasons I switched to an iPhone. Now everything's on one device. Little chance of me ever leaving it anywhere to be stolen - I start to get twitchy if it's out of my sight for more than a couple of minutes.

Good luck getting your iPod back. You're probably screwed, though.

Donger
01-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Settings\Wi-Fi\Ask to Join Networks

If "Ask to Join Networks" is set to off, you will automatically join any available network within range.

Are you sure that is how it works? I just turned Ask to Join Networks off and it now says, "Known networks will be joined automatically. If no known networks are available, you will have to automatically select a network."

If I'm reading that correctly, that means unless the iPod has previously joined a network (unlikely in this stolen scenario), the thief would have to manually do so in order to make the locater work.

Am I missing something?

JD10367
01-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Your iPod will never initially connect to the Internet on its own. If you scan for local WiFi, it will bring up a list of connections, with a "lock" icon next to those with passwords. If you join a network--either password-protected, or not--it will then remember that network so that the next time you're near it the connection happens automatically. Bottom line is, as soon as the thief connects to the Internet, the iPod will show up (not really where it is, but as being used at that WiFi connection, i.e. you'll know the thief is in your local Barnes & Noble but you can't pinpoint which chair he's sitting in).

Donger
01-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Your iPod will never initially connect to the Internet on its own. If you scan for local WiFi, it will bring up a list of connections, with a "lock" icon next to those with passwords. If you join a network--either password-protected, or not--it will then remember that network so that the next time you're near it the connection happens automatically. Bottom line is, as soon as the thief connects to the Internet, the iPod will show up (not really where it is, but as being used at that WiFi connection, i.e. you'll know the thief is in your local Barnes & Noble but you can't pinpoint which chair he's sitting in).

Right, that's what I was saying. The thief would have to intentionally connect to a hotspot for this to work. The chances that this specific iPod has previously connected to whatever specific hotspot he goes near are very slim.

JD10367
01-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Right, that's what I was saying. The thief would have to intentionally connect to a hotspot for this to work. The chances that this specific iPod has previously connected to whatever specific hotspot he goes near are very slim.

True, but the chances that he uses it to connect manually are pretty good. Then again, anyone with a little savvy will figure out if an iPod has that tracking ability on it and delete that program.

Then again, my iPod Touch has the ability to set a four-digit password on it that you have to enter every time you turn it on, and if you enter the wrong code 10 times it erases the whole unit (and I think probably locks itself up, making it useless). I'd rather go through the hassle of entering the four-digit code every time I use it, and know that if I lose it no one else can use it either.

Phobia
01-04-2011, 03:00 PM
True, but the chances that he uses it to connect manually are pretty good. Then again, anyone with a little savvy will figure out if an iPod has that tracking ability on it and delete that program.

Then again, my iPod Touch has the ability to set a four-digit password on it that you have to enter every time you turn it on, and if you enter the wrong code 10 times it erases the whole unit (and I think probably locks itself up, making it useless). I'd rather go through the hassle of entering the four-digit code every time I use it, and know that if I lose it no one else can use it either.
It locks itself for like 2 million hours.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2011, 08:42 PM
This is one of the reasons I switched to an iPhone. Now everything's on one device. Little chance of me ever leaving it anywhere to be stolen - I start to get twitchy if it's out of my sight for more than a couple of minutes.

Good luck getting your iPod back. You're probably screwed, though.

Yeah, no chance I'm getting it back. I've accepted that. Still want the MF to get the worst case of ass warts ever.

mlyonsd
01-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Just because of this thread I took the keys out of my pickup that sits out in the driveway all of the time.