PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska Pelini mocks a U.S. naval seaman

eazyb81
01-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Pretty disgraceful stuff from Pelini, but par for the course from him.

I can't imagine how embarrassing it would be to have this guy as the head coach for one of my favorite teams.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/bo-pelini-nebraska-cornhuskers-holiday-bowl-broken-promise-to-naval-officer-010511

Every time Morgan Ryan prepares to disembark from his ship, he stops before the gangplank, turns solemnly toward the American flag and slowly salutes it, his hand steady at his brow for what seems like an eternity.

Every time he returns to his ship, he repeats the routine. It's not a reflex, and it's more than just protocol.

Old Glory means the world to a U.S. naval seaman. Its place is permanent in his heart. It stands for respect, honor and commitment to his country, one he will defend with his life, without reservation or regret.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Morgan Ryan looks like a slice of apple pie, but there's a mean slice of sharp cheddar cheese on top of it. He holds true to his commitment, focused on his role as an electronics technician whose specialized work involves surface search radar and landing radar for jets on the USS Ronald Reagan, where he’s served for 1-1/2 years. He hopes to someday join the special forces unit.

Serious stuff for a serious young man; he doesn't turn 21 until next month.
And Ryan is also serious about his football.

Ryan hails from Minden, Neb. — a town of 3,000 nicknamed the "Christmas City" because of its 95-year-old December tradition of illuminating the local courthouse with more than 10,000 lights.

And, like most Nebraskans, Ryan maintains an allegiance to the University of Nebraska football team.

Of course, as a serviceman, Ryan rarely has a chance to watch the team in person. But as luck would have it, his beloved Cornhuskers came to him.
On Dec. 28, players for both Nebraska and the Washington Huskies had lunch on Ryan’s ship as part of the teams’ activities for the Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl in San Diego.

It would be one of the best days of Ryan’s life — partly because of a promise made by Nebraska coach Bo Pelini.

Cmdr. Thom Burke called the visit a huge morale booster for the crew before they embark on a seven-month deployment. But it would mean even more for two sailors, because Huskies coach Steve Sarkisian and Pelini came bearing gifts.

Sarkisian went first, giving a field pass and a Huskies jersey to a crew member from Seattle. And then it was Pelini's turn.

Pelini matched Sarkisian's field pass and jersey, then announced he would allow a chosen sailor to call one play during the Holiday Bowl. The luncheon attendees went wild with hoots and applause; someone was going to live out a dream.

And then Morgan Ryan's name was called. His day had been made. Make that his year.

"I was just real shocked," Ryan said with a smile. "(Pelini) told me, 'Congratulations, we'll see you on Thursday (game day).' "

Ryan didn't spend a lot of time devising a special play, although a couple of his buddies suggested the "Fumble-rooski."

Instead of focusing on a play he might call, Ryan studied "Washington's defense, looking for a weakness." And while he didn't tell any of his friends back home about his swag, he did call his mom in Minden to make sure she was going to watch the game. He wanted her to be surprised, so he didn’t tell her he was going to call a play.

(http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball)

On game day, Dec. 30, Ryan didn't wear his Navy-issued dress blues to the Holiday Bowl. This young man, whose home-spun roots and commitment to the military are as blinding as the gleaming steel hull of the nuclear-powered, super aircraft carrier on which he is stationed, was a civilian — a civilian with a huge love for his Cornhuskers, a Midwest football fan jacked up on Big Red football. "I had on jeans, my Converse Chuck Taylors, a Nebraska shirt and hat," he said, grinning.

The Holiday Bowl didn't go well for Nebraska, and when Washington took the lead for good in what became a 19-7 victory, Ryan had a feeling he wasn't going to call a play.

Did he think to approach Pelini and ask for his shot?

"I kinda stayed away from him . . . he wasn't happy," Ryan said. "I did not ask (to call a play)."

Unfortunately for Ryan, he never got the opportunity. Nor, as it turns out, did Pelini ever intend to honor his commitment.

"It was a joke, ma'am," the sour head coach barked at me in his Holiday Bowl postgame news conference.

A joke?

That was news to Ryan, who told me this week that no one told him he had been punked by Pelini. In fact, Ryan said numerous Nebraska assistant coaches and some of the players had talked with him after the luncheon. "A lot of players, maybe 15, asked me what play I would call," Ryan said.
I asked Ryan what his reaction would be if he had found out Pelini had no intention of letting him call a play?

"I would understand," Ryan reasoned. "It's a bowl game. It's not just a regular game."

When I informed Ryan that Pelini told me the whole thing was a joke, his face fell.

He sat in front of me, looking a bit stunned. He displayed no anger, just sat there, staring into space.

Finally, he spoke: "I would've thought something else if I had asked him about it (calling a play).”

Ryan looked upward, searching for words, when his trained discipline kicked in. "I would rather not think about that," he said firmly.

It was a gut-wrenching moment to witness. Ryan had been let down by the head coach of his favorite team. In front of his peers. But Ryan kept his emotions in check. He was not going to dishonor Pelini.

After all, it's not every day you get to meet your favorite team's players and coach, are given an authentic jersey, a field pass and, you're led to believe, the chance to call a play.

Ryan emphasized he's a Cornhuskers fan, and he stands behind his team. No matter what.

And if he weren't a Cornhuskers fan?

"I probably would've spoken out a little bit," he acknowledged.
Keith Mann, assistant athletic director/media relations (football), told FOXSports.com on Wednesday the school would have no comment at this time on the incident.

Despite Nebraska's loss and the turn of events he experienced, Ryan would love another opportunity to attend a Nebraska football game with a field pass, preferably in Lincoln.

"If we were still in the Big 12, (I'd want to see) Texas at Nebraska," Ryan said with a smirk. "Texas at Nebraska . . . so maybe we can get some fair calls."

But since Nebraska is now a member of the Big Ten, Ohio State at Nebraska would be his dream game to attend.

The Buckeyes will visit Lincoln on Oct. 8, and, coincidentally, Ryan will have just returned from seven long months at sea, in waters not as friendly as the confines of Memorial Stadium. A trip back home, watching his Cornhuskers play the Buckeyes from the sideline, in front of his family and friends, might just make Ryan forget the disturbing details of Pelini's generous-turned-disingenuous offer.

But the unsettling and awkward fallout remains.

A football coach tried to one-up an opposing coach, to make himself look like a hero, then failed to follow through.

What Bo Pelini promised was a farce. A joke.

No one is laughing.

DeezNutz
01-05-2011, 02:08 PM
There was a really cool story involving Weis when he was at ND that is similar, to an extent. He visited a very sick child in the hospital and told the child that the first offensive play of the game would be determined by him (run or pass, nothing more complicated). The child told Weis to pass, and the coach promised.

As luck would have it, the first offensive play for ND in the next game (against Washington, I believe) was from inside the ND 5. Members of the coaching staff asked what they should do. Weis's response:

No choice. We have to pass.

Jethopper
01-05-2011, 02:11 PM
News flash Pelini is a shit human being. Stop the presses! Water is still wet!

Iowanian
01-05-2011, 02:13 PM
What a rusty Balloon Knot.

siberian khatru
01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
There was a really cool story involving Weis when he was at ND that is similar, to an extent. He visited a very sick child in the hospital and told the child that the first offensive play of the game would be determined by him (run or pass, nothing more complicated). The child told Weis to pass, and the coach promised.

As luck would have it, the first offensive play for ND in the next game (against Washington, I believe) was from inside the ND 5. Members of the coaching staff asked what they should do. Weis's response:

No choice. We have to pass.

The pass was intercepted and returned for a touchdown, the Irish lost the game and Weis was fired two days later.

Meanwhile, the sick child recovered and is now a healthy Stanford fan.

And now you know ... the REST of the story.

DeezNutz
01-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Gooood DAY!

mohammedhali
01-05-2011, 02:16 PM
so a head coach, someone who calls plays for a major program, tells a normal ordinary human being that they can call a play and at the end of the game the guy doesn't get to. Boo Hoo. The guys not a coach, not a football player, not a teammate, nothing. Why would this matter, oh because he's in the military, no different than a police officer or firefighter. the kid got a jersey and a free field pass to the game, the exact same thing as the Huskies fan got, all that was lost was a promise to call a play, one that wouldn't have mattered, and probably would have demoralized the kid b/c more than likely it would of been a pick 6 that injured T.Martinex/Burkhead/Helu

Jethopper
01-05-2011, 02:18 PM
so a head coach, someone who calls plays for a major program, tells a normal ordinary human being that they can call a play and at the end of the game the guy doesn't get to. Boo Hoo. The guys not a coach, not a football player, not a teammate, nothing. Why would this matter, oh because he's in the military, no different than a police officer or firefighter. the kid got a jersey and a free field pass to the game, the exact same thing as the Huskies fan got, all that was lost was a promise to call a play, one that wouldn't have mattered, and probably would have demoralized the kid b/c more than likely it would of been a pick 6 that injured T.Martinex/Burkhead/Helu

You are beyond dumb

Iowanian
01-05-2011, 02:18 PM
wecome back Billay....

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
A world-class scumbag.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2011, 02:20 PM
A world-class scumbag.

And he has a dick nose.

DeezNutz
01-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Obviously this is a government conspiracy to make the flying Pelini brothers look bad.

kepp
01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
No surprise. I hear he's always had problems with seamen.

Dante84
01-05-2011, 02:46 PM
No surprise. I hear he's always had problems with seamen.

Please.

No Cornhusker has a problem with semen.

Chief Chief
01-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Please.

No Cornhusker has a problem with semen.

They do when they burst out laughing and it goes spraying out their noses.

Barret
01-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Ok the beginning of that is a bit over dramatic. You don't stand the for an eternity saluting the flag and make yourself all feel patriotic and stuff. Also the joke is when coming on board you have to salute the flag and then salute the duty officer to request permission to come on board. The Flag then the F.A.G. and then just opposite on the way off if I remember correctly. Back to point, it isn't that big of a deal.

Concerning Pelini, yea that was a dick move to out bid the other coach and then go back on the deal. I am sure that people can get away with that type of stuff many years ago but with so much information available instantly nothing escapes the eye of the public for long. If Pelini has this type of respect for Nebraska alum that are in the military I wonder what he has for his players and why they can't perform in a bowl game.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
This is bullshit. Nebraska let Hank Hill call a play but not this guy?

mikeyis4dcats.
01-05-2011, 04:12 PM
take the military aspect out of it, no matter who it was if they tell him he's gonna do it, let him do it.

LiveSteam
01-05-2011, 05:02 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
WAAAAAAAAAAAAA
\WAAAAAAAAAAA
I hate the Huskers. WAAAAAAA.
Bitches/Did Bo make a bad joke or rob the guy of his life savings? I couldn't tell from that article.:rolleyes:

Gonzo
01-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Billay? That's not cool man.

Oh and it's no shocker here. Pelini is the biggest piece of shit to ever walk a sideline.
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater
01-05-2011, 05:18 PM
What a piece of shit.

Buehler445
01-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Billay? That's not cool man.

Oh and it's no shocker here. Pelini is the biggest piece of shit to ever walk a sideline.
Posted via Mobile Device

I can't ever remember. Are you an NU fan?

Reaper16
01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
DaFace -- is MohammedHali a Billay mult? That would be disappointing if it is.

mohammedhali
01-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I feel real bad for this kid, he was let down, life gave him lemons, but he didn't have any sugar to make lemonade. Life must be hard.
I was asked by Rex Ryan a few days back to scout Adam Vinatieri's kicking foot, in order to confirm his belief that he is the best kicker in the NFL (He now has a collection of each kicker/punters foot in the league) , and when I showed him a picture of the most beautiful golden foot ever seen he disbelieved in it's true identity, telling me that no such thing could exist on Earth, for he has seen each and every type of human/mammalian/reptilian foot under Hali's World. So to prove it I told him before the game that Vinatieri will make two 45yd.+ FG's against the Jets this weekend and if i am right he will let me call a play in the 4th Qtr. which of course will be a QB sneak with Sanchez on 4th & 10.
Blaine Gabbert's pacifier from last years Huskers game will be up for bid on ebay soon, great deal, only a few bite marks.

DJ's left nut
01-05-2011, 05:37 PM

No chance.

Billay's not smart enough to create a mult that stupid. He'd just make a mult that looks and sounds exactly like himself.

It does kinda seem like a Weakstream mult, though.

In either event, I'm glad that guy doesn't have a problem with a human pile of excrement representing his university. Then again, I'm willing to be the guy's never stepped foot on a college campus lest it was to empty the shitters.

So he's just another inbred cornholer that sees Nebraska football more as the Dallas Cowboys of the north, rather than representatives of an institution of higher learning and the state university of Nebraska.

To each their own - enjoy that fuckstick, Nubs.

Mr. Laz
01-05-2011, 05:56 PM
as far as i can tell, Pelini is a complete douche

I mean how difficult would it be to have a Offensive assistant take a few minutes to go through the Nebraska play book with the serviceman and let him pick a play he liked?

ChiefGator
01-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Just to clarify.. he did not MOCK the sailor. That is the incorrect verb.

Gonzo
01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I can't ever remember. Are you an NU fan?

Nope. I'm one of those anti-nu guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

WV
01-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Arrogance on Pellini's part....heck that one play may have done a lot to energize his team and the Husker fans in the stands.....instead he chose to just itch the sand in his vag and move on.

Dartgod
01-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I think most of you are over reacting to this just a smidgen. First off, the thread title is misleading. And secondly, I'm not a big fan of Pelini's antics, but what he did is hardly as disgraceful as you make it out to be.

LiveSteam
01-05-2011, 06:19 PM
No chance.

It does kinda seem like a Weakstream mult, though.

Not fair!!Quit kicking me in my right nut DJ. Cowboys of the North ROFL

If Less Miles, some how heads to Michigan. Neb could be looking for a new coach.

Gonzo
01-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I think most of you are over reacting to this just a smidgen. First off, the thread title is misleading. And secondly, I'm not a big fan of Pelini's antics, but what he did is hardly as disgraceful as you make it out to be.

I dunno man. He told the kid he could call a play, the kid studies for a week and picks a play, then Bo ignores him and said it was a joke. Stick to your word pelini.
Posted via Mobile Device

Marcellus
01-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Classless at the least.

HonestChieffan
01-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Proof actions speak louder than words.

beer bacon
01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
The Pelini brothers are liars.

Dartgod
01-05-2011, 06:45 PM
I dunno man. He told the kid he could call a play, the kid studies for a week and picks a play, then Bo ignores him and said it was a joke. Stick to your word pelini.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not defending what he did. It was wrong. But this?

shit human being
rusty Balloon Knot
world-class scumbag
a piece of shit
a complete douche

A little over the top IMO.

This is more accurate:

Arrogance on Pellini's part

GloryDayz
01-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Welcome to the board Bo! You're an F-wad!!

MarcBulger
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Nebraska Trash, what did you expect....

Coach
01-05-2011, 06:50 PM
The pass was intercepted and returned for a touchdown, the Irish lost the game and Weis was fired two days later.

Worked out the best for everyone. *shrug*

Gonzo
01-05-2011, 06:51 PM

shit human being
rusty Balloon Knot
world-class scumbag
a piece of shit
a complete douche

This is more accurate:

LMAO @ rusty balloon knot.

His past behavior has something to do with those opinions, I'm sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCSupersized
01-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Shitty move by Pellini...

I don't care who it was, if he told the guy he could call a play, he should have went through with it.

LiveSteam
01-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Shitty move by Pellini...

I don't care who it was, if he told the guy he could call a play, He should have went through with it.

He did call a play. Its was the lil fairy flip that bounced off the UW guy
Then back into T-MagicmyASS hands. God I hope Les Miles goes to Michigan.
Radio will be AWESOME in Omaha.

Saul Good
01-05-2011, 07:09 PM

billay leaves, and 3 days later, a troll starts posting pro-Nebraska and anti-Mizzou garbage.
Let's play the world's easiest game of connect the dots---> .............................billay

cosmo20002
01-05-2011, 07:14 PM
How exactly was he going to "call a play?" Did he have the Nebraska playbook or something?

cosmo20002
01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

What was he studying for a week? I missed the part of the story where someone gave him the Nebraska playbook and game film to study. Something here sounds a bit...incorrect. Did Fox News originate this story?

Saulbadguy
01-05-2011, 07:27 PM

shit human being
rusty Balloon Knot
world-class scumbag
a piece of shit
a complete douche

This is more accurate:

Yeah, but my dicknose comment was spot on.

LiveSteam
01-05-2011, 07:29 PM
BITCHES

Uncle_Ted
01-05-2011, 07:38 PM
"So does this mean I don't get to go over to Sgt. Hartman's house and f*** his sister?"

-- Pvt. Joker

Mr. Laz
01-05-2011, 07:47 PM

shit human being
rusty Balloon Knot
world-class scumbag
a piece of shit
a complete douche

This is more accurate:

complete douche sounds pretty spot on to me

how about dick weasel instead?

Gonzo
01-05-2011, 08:04 PM
What was he studying for a week? I missed the part of the story where someone gave him the Nebraska playbook and game film to study. Something here sounds a bit...incorrect. Did Fox News originate this story?

Maybe it wasn't for a week. I don't know the dates, I must have mis-read... but:

Instead of focusing on a play he might call, Ryan studied "Washington's defense, looking for a weakness
Posted via Mobile Device

googlegoogle
01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
disappointed an 'idiot' doesn't keep a promise?

who cares. he needs to man up and threaten to kick his ass.

mohammedhali
01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
this thread is probably for all the MIzz fans who are butt hurt that they can never beat the Huskers, or maybe that they only have 4 total individual player awards in their programs history compared to Nebs 27 (I'll stop at that b/c you can't compare the two programs, but you can compare the tigers program to Iowa State's which is neat I guess). And any tiger fan that actually thinks that they split the north championship is a moron to the tenth degree.

mohammedhali
01-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Since when does it take a week to pick a play, especially if you don't know the situation. And seriously people I guess Ill have to write (sarcasm) into every one of my posts now since everyone acts so serious about black and white statements. Did anyone see who wrote this article....Lisa Horne: A Pac 10 Fan and reporter, biased, nah, just FOX journalism.

Ultra Peanut
01-06-2011, 10:56 PM
BLOO BLOO BLOO I'M A BIG DUMB BABY

Buehler445
01-07-2011, 12:17 AM
UP sighting!
Posted via Mobile Device

Earthling
01-07-2011, 02:17 AM
It was a classless and dishonorable move. :huh:
Other than that, no problem.

T-post Tom
01-07-2011, 03:17 AM

Actually, the child died the day before the game. Weiss stood firm on his promise. The pass from the endzone was a completion for 13 yards and a first down.

Pioli Zombie
01-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Ever since she was Bush's Press Secretary I thought Pelini was hot. I'd fuck her in a second.