PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Rafael Palmeiro reacts to snub

pr_capone
01-05-2011, 08:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof11/news/story?id=5992759

One of only four players with 3,000 hits and 500 home runs answered his phone on Wednesday and spoke solemnly, but not angrily, about receiving only 11 percent of the vote in his first year on the Hall of Fame ballot.

It takes 75 percent to be elected, and less than 5 percent to be removed from the ballot, and Rafael Palmeiro was much closer to 5.

"I am disappointed, obviously I am disappointed, I thought I would get more support," Palmeiro said. "But I am grateful that I get to stay on the ballot for at least another year. Maybe I'll go up, maybe I'll go down. I thought I was worthy of a better showing than what I got, but I had a black mark against me my last year in baseball. That is hard to overcome. I know there were some voters that said, 'He's a Hall of Famer, but he tested positive. I can't vote for him.' That's the reality of it. And it is something I have to live with."

On Aug. 1, 2005, Palmeiro, then 40, was suspended by Major League Baseball for 10 days for testing positive for steroids. That came less than five months after he appeared before Congress, pointed his index finger at the camera on national TV and said, under oath, that he had "never done steroids. Period." It was a response to Jose Canseco's claim that he had injected Palmeiro with steroids.

The positive test essentially ended his career, and just over five years later, Palmeiro continued to insist that he had never done steroids at the time he appeared before Congress, and continued to insist that the positive test was "an accident."

"What got in my body was an accident, I got a B-12 shot that might have been tainted," he said. "I failed a drug test, so I can't say I'm innocent, but I did not do it intentionally. Going into that season, I had 550 home runs and I was 70 hits short of 3,000. To take something then would have been the absolute stupidest thing in the history of mankind when I could have been tested at any point of that season, it would have made no sense at all."

Palmeiro paused. "I know people are going to call BS on me, and that's fine," he said. "I will never be able to change their minds. I got a lot of texts and e-mails [from family and friends] today. There was a lot of anger at the vote total. But I was expecting it. I knew I was not going in today. I might never go in. But I am not going to let this define the career I had. I gave it everything I had in my career. Every player I ever played with, every manager I ever played for knows I gave it everything I had. And I am not going to let something that happened in 2005 overshadow my 19 years of dedication and hard work."

Palmeiro sounded confused about one point. "I was listening to someone today say that [Barry] Bonds, A-Rod [Alex Rodriguez] and [Roger] Clemens would get in the Hall of Fame because they were already Hall of Famers when they started doing steroids," Palmeiro said. "I tested positive in 2005, not 1999. My career was over. Some arguments are contradictory."

Palmeiro was clearly not in an argumentative mood Wednesday.

"This day is about Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven," he said. "I want to congratulate them. They are two of the greatest players in the game. This is their day. They deserve it."

*edited

Got my Latino stars crossed... forgot that JG was Clay's bff.

Buck
01-05-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't think he cares about Palmeiro, only Gonzalez.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2011, 08:52 PM
He's no Juan Gonzalez.

GOAT

pr_capone
01-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't see how the guy ever makes it into the hall... just like Mark McGwire will likely never make the hall.

pr_capone
01-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't think he cares about Palmeiro, only Gonzalez.

Oh shit... that's right. Edited title.

MIAdragon
01-05-2011, 08:58 PM
I don't see how the guy ever makes it into the hall... just like Mark McGwire will likely never make the hall.

Mark will get in.

Rain Man
01-05-2011, 09:31 PM
sounds to me like he had some serious roid rage going.
Posted via Mobile Device

pr_capone
01-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Mark will get in.

When?

IMHO, the only was that Mark gets into the Hall is if he buys a ticket.

BigRedChief
01-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Tainted B-12 shot?ROFL

RJ
01-05-2011, 09:45 PM
The guy was a pure hitter and I don't think that had anything to do with roids. His numbers were consistent throughout his career, no Brady Anderson type spikes. I don't recall much change in appearance. But then there's that positive test thing.....

The Baseball HOF is going to have a helluva time sorting through this mess.

KC_Connection
01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Interesting series of tweets:

Comments by Hall President Idelson in this interview all but ensure PED users -- or suspects -- never make it in: http://tinyurl.com/23rvykb

Voters will be citing this interview for years as a basis for being even more firm in their moral indignation at PEDs than they are now.

We will have a HoF with an entire era being inaccurately represented as a result.

This stance on the Hall will make many voters happy and secure in their stance. It will also render the Hall close to irrelevant.

The HoF has set it up so that the architect of the free agency era, the keeper Negro Leagues history and the current HR king are excluded.

They may be able to explain that all away piece-by-piece, but as a whole, it represents a museum that is approaching irrelevance.

http://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra

pr_capone
01-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Fine... let Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, and Raffy in. But enshrine them in the newly minted "East Wing of Asterisks"

KC_Connection
01-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Fine... let Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, and Raffy in. But enshrine them in the newly minted "East Wing of Asterisks"
Might as well do the same with amphetamine users like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays while we're at it.