PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: With Bowe and Waters ill, Chiefs add receiver Curtis

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2011, 03:11 AM
With Bowe and Waters ill, Chiefs add receiver Curtis (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/05/2563976/with-bowe-and-waters-ill-chiefs.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Being out of a job and with the playoffs beginning, Kevin Curtis was sitting around at home in Miami already planning for next season.

“I thought the year was over,” he said.

That was before the Chiefs, in their time of need, summoned the veteran wide receiver. He could be a key figure for the Chiefs in Sunday’s first-round playoff game against Baltimore at Arrowhead Stadium.

The Chiefs began preparations Wednesday without their Pro Bowl wide receiver, Dwayne Bowe, as well as their Pro Bowl guard, Brian Waters. The Chiefs listed both players on their injury report as ill and wouldn’t speculate whether they would be available to play against the Ravens.

The last time the Chiefs listed a player as having an illness, quarterback Matt Cassel had an appendectomy and missed a game last month in San Diego.

Otherwise, the Chiefs have had extraordinarily good fortune with injuries this season. Among their key offensive players, Dexter McCluster missed five games and offensive linemen Branden Albert and Ryan Lilja and tight end Tony Moeaki missed one apiece.

That good fortune ends abruptly if Bowe and Waters don’t play on Sunday. The Chiefs signed Curtis to give them another body at wide receiver. He played in two games earlier this season with the Dolphins, catching one pass.

Waters’ spot in the starting lineup was taken by rookie Jon Asamoah.

“He knows this system,” coach Todd Haley said of Curtis. “What they’re running down there in Miami is very similar … so that’s an edge. That will give him a chance to come in and get him in the mix. He’s got some mileage on the tire but it looks like he’s done a good job of keeping himself in shape.”

That he’s 32 and out of a job at a most crucial time of the season would indicate Curtis has little to offer. But he had a big season for the Eagles as recently as 2007, when he caught 77 passes and scored six touchdowns.

He played in a similar offensive system with the Dolphins, so the Chiefs’ playbook should be familiar.

“I’ll be brought up to speed and I’m preparing to play,” Curtis said. “I’m ready to do whatever I’m asked, whatever that may be. I’m not here to just come in and enjoy the show. I’m here to learn the playbook and if called upon, I’ll be ready to go.

“I’ve got a pretty easy job. I’ll put everything into catching up and learning where I’m supposed to be.”

Curtis caught some passes at practice from Cassel, a sign the Chiefs are serious about getting him ready in case they have a need.

“I’m comfortable,” Cassel said. “If he’s out there, there’s a reason he’s out there.”

Cassel indicated he wasn’t concerned about the loss of practice time with Bowe, assuming he plays on Sunday.

“We’ve been going for 17 weeks or whatever it’s been,” Cassel said. “Hopefully he’s back sooner rather than later and he rests up and he gets back on the field and we’re able to continue to work together. But from a timing standpoint, I think I understand Dwayne’s body language, his ability to run certain routes and I think we’ll be fine.”

Wide receiver Chris Chambers said, “As long as he knows the game plan, that’s pretty much the main thing. I don’t really know what his illness is but I’m sure he’ll be back on his feet soon. One day of rest may help more than not. I’m sure he has some bumps and bruises so an extra day of rest may do him well.”

Chambers knows what the Chiefs are asking of Curtis. He joined the Chiefs midway through last season, began practice on a Wednesday and played that Sunday against the Jaguars in Jacksonville.

Chambers caught two touchdown passes that day.

“It was a spark for the team,” he said. “I don’t know if you want to put that kind of pressure on him this week but he’s definitely up to the challenge.

“I don’t think it will be tough for him because he’s a seasoned veteran.”

Bowe had 72 catches, 1,162 yards and 15 touchdowns during the regular season, making him far and away the Chiefs’ most productive wide receiver.

Otherwise, the Chiefs have 67 catches and three touchdowns from Chambers, Dexter McCluster, Terrance Copper and rookie Verran Tucker. The Chiefs also have Quinten Lawrence, who hasn’t played in a game this season.

“Throughout the year, we’ve made a lot of progress at the wide receiver position but I still think it’s a position where we need to continue to create competition,” Haley said. “We’ve got some young developing players that have made true progress and we’ve got some veteran guys that look like they continue to get better in Chambers and Copper, so it’s a good mix. But if you get a chance to get an experienced guy that’s fast … it’s worth taking a peek.”

Asamoah, a third-round draft pick from Illinois, started one game this season in place of an injured Lilja. The Chiefs rushed for a season-high 274 yards in that game against Buffalo.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Yes, I'm sure he will be a "key figure", having four days to learn the playbook, yes.

Frosty
01-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Yes, I'm sure he will be a "key figure", having four days to learn the playbook, yes.

Hey now - he played for the Dolphins for two whole weeks so he should be right up to speed. :)

J Diddy
01-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Curtis" What do I do?"

Cassell "Run 5 yards and cut left, I throw the ball you catch it"

Curtis "wait, that's it? I didn't need a week's worth of practice"

Casell "Oh it's not all good, next play we're gonna run, so you gotta find a corner and block him, he'll be the guy right across from you"

Curtis "Fuck my life"

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Curtis" What do I do?"

Cassell "Run 5 yards and cut left, I throw the ball you catch it"

Curtis "wait, that's it? I didn't need a week's worth of practice"

Casell "Oh it's not all good, next play we're gonna run, so you gotta find a corner and block him, he'll be the guy right across from you"

Curtis "Fuck my life"

LMAO Options include "left" and "right"!

Extra Point
01-06-2011, 09:36 AM
"...Country AND Western!"

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-06-2011, 09:42 AM
"...Country AND Western!"

:LOL:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2777/4413818658_42bbb659e4_m.jpg

Chiefshrink
01-06-2011, 09:50 AM
I really believe this is a huge "Poker bluff" by Haley i.e. Bowe, Waters and the signing of Curtis. Haley knows he needs all the help and edge he can get and the signing of Curtis who 'was' a good WR 3yrs ago:rolleyes: on the surface would be seen as a desperate move not to mention poor timing especially after our showing at home against the Raiders. Either we "are" desperate or we "are hoping" the Ravens come in flat which I highly doubt the Ravens will be flat at this point, just the opposite IMO:thumb:

Art Vader
01-06-2011, 10:23 AM
if this is a bluff then Haley's probably got 4 testicles

:hmmm: sounds like a good time to start praying

ReynardMuldrake
01-06-2011, 10:30 AM
I really believe this is a huge "Poker bluff" by Haley i.e. Bowe, Waters and the signing of Curtis. Haley knows he needs all the help and edge he can get and the signing of Curtis who 'was' a good WR 3yrs ago:rolleyes: on the surface would be seen as a desperate move not to mention poor timing especially after our showing at home against the Raiders. Either we "are" desperate or we "are hoping" the Ravens come in flat which I highly doubt the Ravens will be flat at this point, just the opposite IMO:thumb:

That would be awesome if true. Take a dive for the Raider game and make no gameplay adjustments, start some rumors about Bowe being hurt, pick up a WR free agent, basically play dead to fool the Ravens.

Seems like a stretch but Haley is a crafty bastard. Who knows?

Chiefnj2
01-06-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm not buying the Bowe has the flu excuse.