PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Eric Berry Wins NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month Award

big nasty kcnut
01-06-2011, 11:36 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/ERIC-BERRY-NAMED-NFL-DEFENSIVE-ROOKIE-OF-THE-MONTH/1e614733-3392-4c25-a795-414527fcf443

The National Football League informed the Chiefs on Thursday that S Eric Berry has been named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month for December/January. He is the first member of the Chiefs to ever win this honor.

Berry (6-0, 211) produced 39 tackles (27 solo), eight passes defensed, two INTs with one TD and five special teams tackles in December and January. He registered his initial NFL score on a 54-yard interception return TD in a 31-14 victory vs. Tennessee (12/26). The previous week in a 27-14 win vs. St. Louis (12/19), he set career highs with three passes defensed and three special teams tackles.

The University of Tennessee product started all 16 games in 2010, becoming the first Chiefs rookie safety to open every regular season game since 2000. He produced 126 tackles (82 solo), the highest total ever amassed by a Kansas City rookie safety and the third-highest tally registered by any Chiefs rookie in a season. Berry ranked in the NFL in tackles among NFL rookie safeties based on press box totals. He posted four INTs, becoming the first rookie to lead the Chiefs in INTs since CB Dale Carter in ’92. Those four interceptions ranked second among NFL rookie safeties in 2010 and tied for the fourth-highest total by a Chiefs rookie.

Berry finished the season with 2.0 sacks (-11.0 yards), tying for second among NFL rookie defensive backs. He also added 13 passes defensed, a forced fumble and nine special teams tackles. He was a five-time finalist for NFL Rookie of the Week in 2010, tying Rams QB Sam Bradford and Buccaneers WR Mike Williams for the NFL lead in that department.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 11:37 AM
even though he has wiffed badly in pass coverage.

Sofa King
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr71/thyblizz/GDT%20gifs/DwightFistPump.gif

C-Mac
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Man......he's really piling up the awards today.

jiveturkey
01-06-2011, 11:39 AM
We should have traded down and picked the other safety - derp

http://www.nastyhobbit.org/data/media/13/derp-derp.jpg

ArrowheadHawk
01-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Go Berry!

TheGuardian
01-06-2011, 11:43 AM
even though he has wiffed badly in pass coverage.

No he hasn't.

warrior
01-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Well deserved---congrats Berry

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Remember when Petro and Whitlock manned-up about being completely wrong/FAIL on Eric Berry?
Yeah, me neither.

Lzen
01-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Remember when Petro and Whitlock manned-up about being completely wrong/FAIL on Eric Berry?
Yeah, me neither.

Whitlock can go DIAF.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 12:01 PM
No he hasn't.

:banghead:

TheGuardian
01-06-2011, 12:27 PM
:banghead:

In the Raiders game on one play?

Who cares?

Since about game 8 the kid has been nails both in pass coverage and his run support was top notch from game 1.

He's been even better than advertised.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 12:33 PM
In the Raiders game on one play?

Who cares?

Since about game 8 the kid has been nails both in pass coverage and his run support was top notch from game 1.

He's been even better than advertised.

when he hits sean taylor level only then is he better than advertised.

And he does wiff on assighnments and the td during the raiders game was a BAD beat. bad,bad,bad.

I care because i think Berry has it in him to be a world class safety for years to come but i cant help but think this award is to cover his pro bowl snub not because of his play in december.

RealSNR
01-06-2011, 01:45 PM

And he does wiff on assighnments and the td during the raiders game was a BAD beat. bad,bad,bad.

I care because i think Berry has it in him to be a world class safety for years to come but i cant help but think this award is to cover his pro bowl snub not because of his play in december.He's also a rookie. 5th overall pick or not, he's a rookie.

Don't tell me he hasn't improved in ALL facets of safety play this season. Hell, I'll say in pass coverage that he's improved dramatically.

He's going to be given an entire offseason to work out with Flowers and the rest of this secondary, hone his skills, and get in even BETTER athletic shape. Already in only his 2nd year he's going to own faces.

By his 3rd or 4th year I could very easily see him being viewed as one of the top safeties in the entire league. If not that, then I can see him being viewed as a thousand times better than Earl fucking Thomas.

I'm probably talking over you with most of these comments. You were being fair and objective with your criticism. I'm just bringing these comments up now because I know there are still idiots and morons on this board who still don't know if we made the right pick at #5 overall.

talastan
01-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Whitlock can go DIAF.

Hey Fatlock!!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=859

Dante84
01-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Keep in mind this son of a bitch is only 21.

Twenty fucking One.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 02:10 PM
i have little doubt berry will be an all world safety. His aggression on tackles makes the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

TheGuardian
01-06-2011, 02:16 PM

I care because i think Berry has it in him to be a world class safety for years to come but i cant help but think this award is to cover his pro bowl snub not because of his play in december.

Sean Taylor?

Not as good as Berry as a rook either.

Again, I don't put much into what you call "blown coverage" against the Raiders for 1 play when the guy has been nails since midway through the season.

Dante84
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
I just made a wet spot in my pants thinking about Berry exploding for 2 pick six touchdowns this Sunday.

Or a 4 interception game.

stevieray
01-06-2011, 02:19 PM
.... but, but Bolden said we didn't have any talent.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Sean Taylor?

Not as good as Berry as a rook either.

Again, I don't put much into what you call "blown coverage" against the Raiders for 1 play when the guy has been nails since midway through the season.

thats the 2nd time this year berry has been beaten badly on what were essentially the same routes and situations.

and dont fuck around. Sean Taylor was a moster.

KCUnited
01-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Keep in mind this son of a bitch is only 21.

Twenty ****ing One.

At 24, Brandon Flowers is the oldest starter in our secondary. Nick Wright had a great interview with Brandon Carr the other day where Carr was talking about how all the guys in the secondary are like brothers, hanging out together, encouraging/challenging each other.

Shit felt good, felt real good.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 02:35 PM
At 24, Brandon Flowers is the oldest starter in our secondary. Nick Wright had a great interview with Brandon Carr the other day where Carr was talking about how all the guys in the secondary are like brothers, hanging out together, encouraging/challenging each other.

Word.

Chief Chief
01-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Word.

To.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-06-2011, 02:39 PM
To.

Yo.

Frosty
01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Yo.

Ta.

:shrug:

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Ta.

:shrug:

FAIL.

Dante84
01-06-2011, 02:46 PM

Yeah, i was listening to that also. It's just......damn. We could have the same secondary for 5-8 years, barring injuries, contract disputes, etc...

That's just insane to think about.

Our window for a SB run is about as open as it can be. Jamaal is young, Bowe is young, DJ is entering the middle of his career, Hali is young, K. Lewis is young, Flowers is young, Albert is young, Dorsey is young, Gilberry is young, Carr is young, Asamoah is young, Dex is young, Moeaki is young, Cassel is entering QB primetime age, so we will have time to draft and groom a new one, Studebaker is young.... the list goes on.

We just need to get some FA on the line, and draft youth behind our guard and Center spots, Get a young DT, Get a FA wideout, Draft another young wide out, and invest a lot of effort on our linebacker spots.

We can be looking at a decade of dominance.

ReynardMuldrake
01-06-2011, 02:50 PM
TO THE SHA!!

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, i was listening to that also. It's just......damn. We could have the same secondary for 5-8 years, barring injuries, contract disputes, etc...

That's just insane to think about.

Our window for a SB run is about as open as it can be. Jamaal is young, Bowe is young, DJ is entering the middle of his career, Hali is young, K. Lewis is young, Flowers is young, Albert is young, Dorsey is young, Gilberry is young, Carr is young, Asamoah is young, Dex is young, Moeaki is young, Cassel is entering QB primetime age, so we will have time to draft and groom a new one, Studebaker is young.... the list goes on.

We just need to get some FA on the line, and draft youth behind our guard and Center spots, Get a young DT, Get a FA wideout, Draft another young wide out, and invest a lot of effort on our linebacker spots.

We can be looking at a decade of dominance.

I think the club is a OLB away from being a dominant force.

Frosty
FAIL.

Hey! You're the one who put "Yo" instead of "Tha". :harumph:

ReynardMuldrake
TOYOTA!!!1!

TheGuardian
01-06-2011, 02:58 PM
thats the 2nd time this year berry has been beaten badly on what were essentially the same routes and situations.

and dont **** around. Sean Taylor was a moster.

Sean Taylor has been immortalized since he was killed. He wasn't GREAT. He never lived up to his draft status.

LOL @ you complaining about Berry being beaten twice as a rookie.

You guys are just looking for things to complain about. Berry has been AWESOME as a rookie. Nothing short of it. End of discussion.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 03:05 PM
ummm i got it straight from the horses mouth about taylor and then spent acouple years trackin his play.

Taylor was a football player of DT quality.

crossbow
01-06-2011, 03:10 PM
He would have gotten more awards if he had more carries. And if he gets burned again on pass coverage, then they should bench him for Brody Croyle.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Hey! You're the one who put "Yo" instead of "Tha". :harumph:

Word.

To.

Yo.

Mother.

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/pv/Vanilla%20Ice-4.JPG
LMAO

TheGuardian
01-06-2011, 03:27 PM
ummm i got it straight from the horses mouth about taylor and then spent acouple years trackin his play.

Taylor was a football player of DT quality.

Uh, no.

seamonster
01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Uh, no.

Wow. Sean Taylor was pretty fucking good.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Uh, no.

dont get it twisted fella. I was one of the first on the BB to go all in on Berry when the rest were screamin oline,qb,wr.

El Jefe
01-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Wow. Sean Taylor was pretty ****ing good.

Taylor was a beast, I would take Polamalu or Ed Reed over him though.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Taylor was a beast, I would take Polamalu or Ed Reed over him though.

You are crazy.

ST football iq was every bit of those guys then factor in he is bigger, stronger , and faster.

El Jefe
01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
You are crazy.

ST football iq was every bit of those guys then factor in he is bigger, stronger , and faster.

I was impressed at times with him, and then not at others. Maybe because I have seen more of Reed and Polamalu.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvE3I0A0fek

highlight vid. music NWS.

TheGuardian
01-06-2011, 03:56 PM
You are crazy.

Dude there is no way you watched him play that much. He never lived up to his draft hype. EVER. He was solid, was not spectacular.

Frosty
01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Dude there is no way you watched him play that much. He never lived up to his draft hype. EVER. He was solid, was not spectacular.

You know who Mo's uncle is, right?

El Jefe
01-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Looking at statistics they are all close, Reed had a bunch more interceptions. I only looked at their first four years because ST only was able to play four obviously. Also note that Polamalu didn't start a single game in his rookie season

TKL Sack FF INT

Ed Reed 269 4 4 22

Sean Taylor 299 2 8 12

Troy P 301 7 4 10

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 04:00 PM

noob, now is the time for you to pipe down.

El Jefe
01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
The columns didn't line up well, just follow it LOL.

Sweet Daddy Hate
noob, now is the time for you to pipe down.

:popcorn:

Dante84
You know who Mo's uncle is, right?

I don't, please filla brotha in.

No homo.

El Jefe
01-06-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't, please filla brotha in.

No homo.

Gregg Williams

Dante84
01-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Gregg Williams

Very cool.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Looking at statistics they are all close, Reed had a bunch more interceptions. I only looked at their first four years because ST only was able to play four obviously. Also note that Polamalu didn't start a single game in his rookie season

TKL Sack FF INT

Ed Reed 269 4 4 22

Sean Taylor 299 2 8 12

Troy P 301 7 4 10

and taylor missed about half of the 07 season.