PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ravens offense out of excuses as playoffs approach

Hammock Parties
01-07-2011, 01:51 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/ravens-offense-out-of-excuses-as-playoffs-approach/

The Ravens won their final four games to enter the playoffs at 12-4. You’d think everyone would be happy.

You’d only think that if you haven’t watched the last two Ravens games. Baltimore enters the playoffs looking worse than last year’s 9-7 squad in many respects. Most surprisingly, the offense has no identity and finished the season poorly.

“For us, we’ve just got to go out there and make it work,” Derrick Mason said this week via Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun. “I guess that has to be the theme of the playoffs — whatever is being called, we have to make it work. We can no longer point the finger. We’ve got to make it work as an offensive unit. There are no more excuses, because excuses are going to get you beat.”

Fullback Le’Ron McClain moaned about the offense earlier in the week and players generally haven’t been happy with the play-calling. A defensive tackle reportedly complained about offense coordinator Cam Cameron loud enough to be heard by other team official.

The Bengals allowed fewer than 200 yards to the Ravens last week. The Browns also out-gained Baltimore in Week 16, and the offense fell to No. 22 in yards. NFL Network’s Mike Lombardi compared their offense to a restaurant with too many items on the menu; they don’t do particularly anything well.

Everyone assumes the Ravens are still Super Bowl contenders — Florio and I picked them on the road Sunday — but the reality is they haven’t played like one despite their record. The old offense/defense division seems to be creeping up like old times.

“Middle linebacker Ray Lewis’ body language on the sideline Sundays often tells the story,” Preston wrote. “He puts his head in his hands, showing disgust and disappointment.”

Fairplay
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
The part about Ray Lewis is so touching, let me get my Kleenex.

Rausch
01-07-2011, 09:43 PM
This is a team we need to get up on early.

I think the QB that plays better sunday wins...