PDA

View Full Version : Football Do the Seahawks have a chance?

Joe Seahawk
01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Matt Hasselbeck wears his passion on his shoulder pads – as well as his sense of humor. It was apparent after practice on Thursday, and after coach Pete Carroll had announced that the veteran QB will start Saturday’s game against the Saints.

Stepping before the cameras, Hasselbeck noticed that ESPN was present.

“Look at this,” he cracked. “I didn’t know you guys covered the CFL.”

When asked by another out-of-town reporter if he had a reaction to talk earlier in the week about whether or not the Seahawks should apologize for being in the playoffs with a 7-9 record, Hasselbeck offered an incredulous look before saying, “Apologize to who? No, I’m not going to apologize for that.”

Asked about a 7-9 team going up against the defending Super Bowl champions, Hasselbeck said, “They are 0-0 right now, so that’s where my head’s at.”

Asked what advantage the Seahawks might have because all the pressure is focused on the Saints, he smiled and said, “I don’t know how they feel. Maybe they’re bummed that they don’t have a bye and they’ve got to fly seven hours to southern Alaska.”

INJURY REPORT

The official end-of-the-week status report, as released by the team:

The Seahawks list no one on their injury report for the first time this season.

For the Saints:

Out

LB Danny Clark (hamstring)

TE Jimmy Graham (ankle)

DL Anthony Hargrove (knee)

FS Malcolm Jenkins (knee)

Probable

DE Alex Brown (shoulder)

WR Marques Colston (knee)

LB Anthony Waters (ankle)

TE Jeremy Shockey (groin)

TE David Thomas (knee)

STAT DU JOUR

The Seahawks’ NFC West title is their five in the past seven seasons, and they have advanced to the playoffs seven times in the past 12 years. Only three teams have more playoffs appearances during that span – the Colts (11), Eagles (nine) and Patriots (eight).

YOU DON’T SAY

“I know it’s a great football team (coming in here). We understand that. But we’re going to go play our ball and see if we can get a win.” – Carroll

Ming the Merciless
01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
If anyone thinks the seahawks have a chance, they can get 10 or 11 points with a bet...

Thats how little chance they have.

KurtCobain
01-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I would bet on seattle.

Shogun
01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
ever see the movie any given saturday? me either

KcMizzou
01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
You're in the playoffs and playing at home. (Outside, vs. a dome team) Hell yeah, you have a chance.

I can't say I'd predict a win, but if I were a betting man, I think I'd take the 'Hawks and the points.

Rams Fan
01-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm not even gonna say, I'm still sad from Sunday...

siberian khatru
01-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I would not be shocked in the least if Seattle won.

Joe Seahawk
01-07-2011, 07:19 PM

You should come up for a game sometime, let me know if you do and be sure to come by our tailgate. :thumb:

Rain Man
01-07-2011, 07:20 PM
The Seahawks are going to kill them. Jacob Green, Dave Brown, Curt Warner, Kenny Easley...the Seahawks are loaded with talent.

KurtCobain
01-07-2011, 07:20 PM

Man up.

Rams Fan
01-07-2011, 07:25 PM
You should come up for a game sometime, let me know if you do and be sure to come by our tailgate. :thumb:

I've always wanted to go to Seattle. Depending on when the Rams play them in Seattle next year, I'll think about it. Thanks.

Rams Fan
01-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Joe, do you post at Seahawks.Net?

chefsos
01-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Damn right they have a shot. Hell, does NO have any RBs left?

You catch your bully with a sucker punch Saturday and we'll kick ours in the knee Sunday and then we'll all go get an Ovaltine. Deal?

JD10367
01-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Okay, the title of this thread says, "Do the Seahawks have a chance?" The poll is a game prediction. Those have nothing to do with each other. Do the Seahawks have a chance? Of course they do. The Saints are banged up. They have to travel cross-country. The Seahawks have a loud stadium. The ball bounces funny. So, yes, they definitely have a chance. But that doesn't mean anyone thinks they'll win. I voted "Saints by 10+".

Joe Seahawk
01-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Joe, do you post at Seahawks.Net?

Nope, I lurk there sometimes.. weird eh? :p

Joe Seahawk
01-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Okay, the title of this thread says, "Do the Seahawks have a chance?" The poll is a game prediction. Those have nothing to do with each other.

I decided to add a poll after i titled the thread.. sorry to confuse you..

WebGem
01-07-2011, 08:15 PM
ever see the movie any given saturday? me either

LMAO

Joe Seahawk
01-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I think the Saints will be one dimensional tomorrow, the crowd noise and pass rush and our ability to drop some extra guys in coverage will force the saints into some mistakes/turnovers. Breese hasn't handled a wet ball all season and I predict at least 1 pick. We have been starting to run the ball a little better due to peeps getting healthy and Matt is well rested.

Final Score
Seahawks 31
Saints 27

JD10367
01-07-2011, 08:19 PM
One of the guys on local radio here in New England says that, not only will the Seahawks beat the Saints, there's a good chance they might host the NFC Championship Game.

Now, everyone stop laughing, and follow it.

Many people think the #6 seed Green Bay Packers are a dangerous team. Many think they will beat Philadelphia, the #3 seed, especially with Vick hobbled.

Now, let's buy the theory that the #4 seed Seahawks shock the world and beat the banged-up and road-weary Saints. That eliminates the #5 seed.

Next week's games would be Green Bay at Atlanta, and Seattle at Chicago.

The Packers already came very close to beating Atlanta in their house this year, losing by a FG. So if the Pack is on a roll, it's not a great stretch for them to shock Atlanta. That would eliminate the #1 seed.

Guess who Seattle has already beaten on the road? Yup... Da Bears. So who's to say they can't do it again?

That would make the NFCCG the #6 Packers at the #4 Seahawks. If you think an under-.500 team hosting a playoff game is weird, how about one hosting the NFCCG? Or making the Super Bowl?

tk13
01-07-2011, 08:22 PM
I wish this game wasn't even a matchup, because it could steal the "one team nobody expects to win" formula from us. Seattle is such a tough place to play, and the team will be amped for the playoffs. Hard to pick a 7-9 team to win though... but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it's a close game at the end.

Demonpenz
01-07-2011, 08:25 PM
The talk about around the seahawks locker room is how they are sick and tired of being called a bad football and how they are getting a raw deal...

NO ONE GIVES THE SEAHAWKS A RAW DEAL

JD10367
01-07-2011, 08:28 PM
The talk about around the seahawks locker room is how they are sick and tired of being called a bad football and how they are getting a raw deal...

Well... they ARE a bad football team. :shrug: But that doesn't mean they still might not win. How you get there no longer matters. Everyone's 0-0 and in single-elimination, so now it's all about your matchup. Win three (or two) in a row, that's all you have to do.

Joe Seahawk
01-07-2011, 08:30 PM
One of the guys on local radio here in New England says that, not only will the Seahawks beat the Saints, there's a good chance they might host the NFC Championship Game.

Now, everyone stop laughing, and follow it.

Many people think the #6 seed Green Bay Packers are a dangerous team. Many think they will beat Philadelphia, the #3 seed, especially with Vick hobbled.

Now, let's buy the theory that the #4 seed Seahawks shock the world and beat the banged-up and road-weary Saints. That eliminates the #5 seed.

Next week's games would be Green Bay at Atlanta, and Seattle at Chicago.

The Packers already came very close to beating Atlanta in their house this year, losing by a FG. So if the Pack is on a roll, it's not a great stretch for them to shock Atlanta. That would eliminate the #1 seed.

Guess who Seattle has already beaten on the road? Yup... Da Bears. So who's to say they can't do it again?

That would make the NFCCG the #6 Packers at the #4 Seahawks. If you think an under-.500 team hosting a playoff game is weird, how about one hosting the NFCCG? Or making the Super Bowl?

Lovie Says the Bears are already preparing for the saints.. I'm sure that is going over well in the seahawks locker room..:evil:

I opted to not buy playoff tickets this year (although i did buy tix for tomorrow) If lightning strikes and we advance to host the NFCCG It will be tough to get tix.. I could have pre purchased for $150 that is the price for my reg season tix..

If we win tomorrow, You fokkers better win too!

JD10367
01-07-2011, 08:33 PM
As a football purist and objective observer, I think it's ridiculous that a 7-9 team is not only in the playoffs but hosting a game against a team with a much better record. I think they need to change the format, be it as greatly as making four 8-team divisions or as simply as saying "four division winners and two wildcards per conference, but seeding and home game privileges are by W-L record".

As a football fan, I'm rooting for the Seahawks. Always liked them, nice unis, seems like a cool area, I feel bad for Pom-Pom Petey after the way we ran him out of New England, plus they've got Lawyer Milloy as well as Mosi's son Lofa Tatupu. I rooted for the Saints last year; they were the feel-good story. They won it. They can lose now, LOL.

Rams Fan
01-07-2011, 08:40 PM
As a football purist and objective observer, I think it's ridiculous that a 7-9 team is not only in the playoffs but hosting a game against a team with a much better record. I think they need to change the format, be it as greatly as making four 8-team divisions or as simply as saying "four division winners and two wildcards per conference, but seeding and home game privileges are by W-L record".

As a football fan, I'm rooting for the Seahawks. Always liked them, nice unis, seems like a cool area, I feel bad for Pom-Pom Petey after the way we ran him out of New England, plus they've got Lawyer Milloy as well as Mosi's son Lofa Tatupu. I rooted for the Saints last year; they were the feel-good story. They won it. They can lose now, LOL.

So, a 10-6 division winner shouldn't host a 12-4 Wildcard?

KcMizzou
01-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I rooted for the Saints last year; they were the feel-good story. They won it. They can lose now, LOL.Yep, they got theirs. I'm done with 'em.

As far as NFC teams go, I can't decide who to root for. Philly (Maclin) or Atlanta (Willie Mo, and Spoon) Mizzou players, ya know.

KurtCobain
01-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Yep, they got theirs. I'm done with 'em.

As far as NFC teams go, I can't decide who to root for. Philly (Maclin) or Atlanta (Willie Mo, and Spoon) Mizzou players, ya know.
Even though he bitched out, I still root on Tony G in ATL along with the MU players, and Matt Ryan(who just kicks ass).

JD10367
01-07-2011, 08:48 PM
So, a 10-6 division winner shouldn't host a 12-4 Wildcard?

A 10-6 (KC) is hosting a 12-4 (Baltimore). A 10-6 (Indy) is hosting an 11-5 (NYJ). A 7-9 (Seattle) is hosting an 11-5 (New Orleans). And a 10-6 (Philly) is hosting a 10-6 (GB), which at least is even... although the Packers BEAT the Eagles earlier in the season. It's crazy.

Rams Fan
01-07-2011, 08:51 PM
A 10-6 (KC) is hosting a 12-4 (Baltimore). A 10-6 (Indy) is hosting an 11-5 (NYJ). A 7-9 (Seattle) is hosting an 11-5 (New Orleans). And a 10-6 (Philly) is hosting a 10-6 (GB), which at least is even... although the Packers BEAT the Eagles earlier in the season. It's crazy.

So should there be a requirement? I think it's fair that if a team win 10+ games and wins its division that it should host a playoff game. 9 wins(or less) and the team goes on the road unless a Wildcard has an 8-8 or 9-7 record.

Rain Man
01-07-2011, 08:51 PM

The Saints didn't have to play in the brutal NFC West.

Rams Fan
01-07-2011, 08:52 PM
The Saints didn't have to play in the brutal NFC West.

I think you're being sarcastic, but for those that think he isn't being sarcastic, the Saints had to play the NFC West(and they lost to the Cardinals in AZ).LMAO

Rain Man
01-07-2011, 08:53 PM
So should there be a requirement? I think it's fair that if a team win 10+ games and wins its division that it should host a playoff game. 9 wins(or less) and the team goes on the road unless a Wildcard has an 8-8 or 9-7 record.

I wouldn't mind a rule saying that, if the wild card has three or more wins more than the division winner, the wild card gets the home field.

You don't want to punish teams in a tough division by just going on record, but a rule like I propose above would punish a team that's obviously weaker than the wildcard.

JD10367
01-07-2011, 09:01 PM

It's a difficult subject. So much of it can be subjective and argued to fit any point. You can argue strength-of-schedule, or strength-of-division, to make a point for and against changing the system. Then again, you can also argue whether or not they need to change how they do that, too (since they seem to make arbitrary decisions at the moment about rotating which individual division you match up with, and you can say that it's not fair that your punishment for finishing #1 in your division is that you have to play other #1s).

It's complicated. For example, let's say you say, "Maybe they should make four 8-team divisions, but make you play within the division for the first round or something. That way, at least in the first round, you have a fair matchup of Team A vs. Team B where both teams played each other, and the same general competition." :shrug: Let the two division winners have a bye, and the other two sets of wildcard teams in each division face off. But, let's combine the North and East and the South and West of the AFC and give them this year's results:

AFC "Northeast"
Patriots 14-2 (bye)
Steelers 12-4
Ravens 12-4
(Jets 11-5)

AFC "Southwest"
Colts 10-6 (bye)
Chiefs 10-6
Chargers 9-7

Under that scenario, the Jets would be left out of the playoffs, and the Colts would get a bye while the Steelers wouldn't. :shrug: I suppose it's going to be unfair for some team every year no matter what the scenario is.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-07-2011, 09:11 PM
The Seahawks are going to kill them. Jacob Green, Dave Brown, Curt Warner, Kenny Easley...the Seahawks are loaded with talent.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yCFB2akLh4s?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yCFB2akLh4s?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Psyko Tek
01-07-2011, 09:44 PM

naah screw that
you take care of your season, win the division, you getta home game

the best part of the NFL and march madness is the one and done

go big or go home

every other sport should change to this
cause 4 outa 5 the saints win, hell the ravens win
but one shot

IT CAN BE OURS,BABY

MahiMike
01-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Actually with the right number of turnovers, yes they can win. Saints are down to 1 RB. Charlie Whitehurst looked great last week and the Saint's D ain't all that. The 12th man in Seattle is worth about 6 pts.

MahiMike
01-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Actually with the right number of turnovers, yes they can win. Saints are down to 1 RB. Charlie Whitehurst looked great last week and the Saint's D ain't all that. The 12th man in Seattle is worth about 6 pts.

Oh, check that. Hasselbeck 'my hip hurts from no contact' is starting. I change my vote to Saints by 10+

Psyko Tek
01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
It's a difficult subject. So much of it can be subjective and argued to fit any point. You can argue strength-of-schedule, or strength-of-division, to make a point for and against changing the system. Then again, you can also argue whether or not they need to change how they do that, too (since they seem to make arbitrary decisions at the moment about rotating which individual division you match up with, and you can say that it's not fair that your punishment for finishing #1 in your division is that you have to play other #1s).

It's complicated. For example, let's say you say, "Maybe they should make four 8-team divisions, but make you play within the division for the first round or something. That way, at least in the first round, you have a fair matchup of Team A vs. Team B where both teams played each other, and the same general competition." :shrug: Let the two division winners have a bye, and the other two sets of wildcard teams in each division face off. But, let's combine the North and East and the South and West of the AFC and give them this year's results:

AFC "Northeast"
Patriots 14-2 (bye)
Steelers 12-4
Ravens 12-4
(Jets 11-5)

AFC "Southwest"
Colts 10-6 (bye)
Chiefs 10-6
Chargers 9-7

Under that scenario, the Jets would be left out of the playoffs, and the Colts would get a bye while the Steelers wouldn't. :shrug: I suppose it's going to be unfair for some team every year no matter what the scenario is.

sweet jebus
do not BCS the NFL
this is how playoffs are done close to right

KcMizzou
01-07-2011, 09:53 PM
sweet jebus
do not BCS the NFL
this is how playoffs are done close to rightTHIS

CaliforniaChief
01-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Odds that Hasselbeck says "We want the ball, and we're gonna score" after the coin toss?

In all seriousness, I give the Seahawks a chance. Any team could win this weekend. I think this game will be a lot closer than most think through the first 2-3 quarters, but eventually Drew Brees and the Saints D will come through with their experience.

KcMizzou
01-08-2011, 05:40 PM
I'd say you have a chance, Joe... LMAO

Molitoth
01-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I eat crow.

Rams Fan
01-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Congrats, Joe. Now you gotta win in Chicago(again).

sd4chiefs
01-08-2011, 05:52 PM
I just voted that the Seahawks win by more than 10. :D

Demonpenz
01-08-2011, 05:54 PM

Ming the Merciless
01-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Shit I hope the seahwaks didnt steal our 'underdog mojo'

soopamanluva
01-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Saints look to be choking

JD10367
01-08-2011, 06:09 PM
If the Seahawks win, some can say, "See?!? The playoff system is fine."

Or, some can say, "See?!? This is what happens when a shit team gets an unfair advantage of a home game, forcing the other team to fly cross-country."

:shrug:

jjchieffan
01-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Un friggin believeable. How in the hell did that happen??? I still don't think Seattle belongs in the playoffs. 7-9 in the regular season is not deserving a playoff spot. Period. Hell, they should just let all 32 teams play in the playoffs if Seattle deserves to play.

Chiefnj2
01-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Congratulations Joe. Good game. They deserved it.

jd1020
01-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Un friggin believeable. How in the hell did that happen??? I still don't think Seattle belongs in the playoffs. 7-9 in the regular season is not deserving a playoff spot. Period. Hell, they should just let all 32 teams play in the playoffs if Seattle deserves to play.

Not quite sure how you can say this AFTER the Seahawks just knocked the defending champs out of the playoffs.

Ming the Merciless
01-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Congrats for pulling it off when most were doubters.

I only hope the seahawks didnt steal the ONLY upset mojo this weekend.....

You can be sure the Ravens will be discussing the upset...

KcMizzou
01-08-2011, 07:04 PM
I enjoyed that. Congrats, Joe!

HemiEd
01-08-2011, 07:04 PM
I say "Blue Men Group" by 5.

jjchieffan
01-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Not quite sure how you can say this AFTER the Seahawks just knocked the defending champs out of the playoffs.

Any given Sunday man. Any given Sunday(or Saturday in this case). Mark it down, they will lose by double digits next week. New Orleans has played poorly against bad teams this year. Remember the Niners damn near beating them earlier in the season?

jd1020
01-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Any given Sunday man. Any given Sunday(or Saturday in this case). Mark it down, they will lose by double digits next week. New Orleans has played poorly against bad teams this year. Remember the Niners damn near beating them earlier in the season?

I dont get your point. They won their division and just beat the defending champs and you are trying to say they dont belong? You're an imbecile.

cdcox
01-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Voting in the poll now...

Rain Man
01-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Not meaning to brag, but check out Post #9.

01-08-2011, 07:56 PM
yes

jjchieffan
01-08-2011, 08:10 PM
I dont get your point. They won their division and just beat the defending champs and you are trying to say they dont belong? You're an imbecile.

Okay then, lets just let the Panthers, Broncos, and Lions in too. Then if one of them gets lucky and pulls off an upset, then I guess they belong too. Screw the regular season record, lets just put everyone in the playoffs so that some bottom feeders can pull off an upset at home and then morons will say they belong too.

01-08-2011, 08:12 PM
I just hope we get to party like Seattle tomorrow afternoon.

jd1020
01-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Okay then, lets just let the Panthers, Broncos, and Lions in too. Then if one of them gets lucky and pulls off an upset, then I guess they belong too. Screw the regular season record, lets just put everyone in the playoffs so that some bottom feeders can pull off an upset at home and then morons will say they belong too.

Because those teams won their division right? God you are a ****in moron. The Chiefs had 1 win against teams above .500 and the Seahawks had 2 coming into the playoffs. I'm sure the Chiefs aren't deserving of being in the playoffs right?

Ming the Merciless
01-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Okay then, lets just let the Panthers, Broncos, and Lions in too.

None of them won the division...I don't see how you connected that logic...

Brock
01-08-2011, 08:30 PM

LOL, dummy.

Fairplay
01-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I think the Seahawks will win. Bank on it.

Ultra Peanut
01-08-2011, 08:52 PM
I LOVE YOU MANG